Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E23: Cardio-Funk

• Start Topic

Pretty nice digs for a couple of allegedly hopeless alcoholics.

Hey, if its good enough for them, its good enough for Andrea and Jesse...

Look, Kelly Taylor, Flirt Cop doesn't want to write you a ticket, but you're leaving her no choice.

Those facial expressions were what made early Kelly so great.

Is it just me, or is Brandon/Jason Priestly at the point where he just ages a bit over night? Previously, he looked slightly (and I mean slightly) more passable as a teen.

Kelly laying down the foundation to break up Dylan and Brenda.

Also I love how in the episode everyone is singing in pairs except for Andrea. Sings all by herself. Sums her up really.

Tim, dude. Could you not find a college girl? Or at least go for a high school senior.

At least we have an ending for Surf Betty even though she is never to be seen again.

Normally I;d find Kelly's expressions on point and hilarious, but I just know that in the back of her mind, Kelly later uses Brenda's excessive extra-relationship flirting to justify the SUMMER OF BETRAYAL, and then I go towards sending some of the side-eye right back to her.

Edited by Tooch
  • Love 3

I hated those stupid thong leotards when they were new, and they have not improved with age! I was a serious dancer through my teen years, and we bunheads made tons of fun of the cardio-funk/jazzercise non-fashions. 

• Love 4

I agree that the Surf Betty stuff could've worked with a different actress. The character behavior was pretty on point for someone not ready to get clean/sober/whatever, especially with the finding a way to blame their dysfunctional behavior on anyone else. The actress just didn't sell it well, at all. Also, when she commented about going to another meeting after having just gone to one yesterday, all I could think is that if she's only a week sober, she should be doing her '90 [meetings] in 90 [days]', so yeah, she should be going to a meeting yesterday, today, tomorrow, and for the next few months.

On another note, I made the mistake of rewatching Melrose from the beginning a few years back. and Rhonda taught cardio-funk. So I don't know if it's an early '90s LA thing or a Spelling/Star thing, but it's something alright.

• Love 3

Brenda at least told her admirer that she had a boyfriend at the outset. Yes, it was probably because Kelly was there, but she did it. Dylan took Sarah surfing, spent the night at her place cause she was scared, had meaningful conversations with her, etc., long before telling her he had a girlfriend. In surf Betty's defense, what was she supposed to think? To her, it seemed like Dylan was interested.

Question for Dave about this "taking a dump together" scenario...are they like, sitting back to back (ass to ass) on the same toilet? Just wondering. :P

• Love 1

Question for Dave about this "taking a dump together" scenario...are they like, sitting back to back (ass to ass) on the same toilet? Just wondering. :P

Yeah I was waiting for someone to make a "2 Drunks 1 Cup" joke.

• Love 1

Wow. Worst episode, thus far, EVER. I don't know what was worse, the sartorial offenses, the karaoke, or the last (for the moment) temptations of Dylan and Brenda.

Funny that the writers had Kelly drop the Anvil of "they were meant for each other."

Kelly later uses Brenda's excessive extra-relationship flirting to justify the SUMMER OF BETRAYAL

I never got that impression. At all.

Wasn't "cardio-funk" what Rhonda on Melrose Place (the other Vanessa Williams) taught for a living?

Yes, it was.

Re the 13th Step:  One of AA's many sayings is that if you want to hook up in AA, the odds are good, but the goods are odd.  

Also, if anyone cares, it was way uncool of Dylan to violate Surf Betty's anonymity to Brandon.  And Surf Betty's manipulative "Only you can stop me drinking. Be my savior " is Addict 101.   Homeboy should tell her to get a female sponsor and then run for the hills.

• Love 1

Holy shit, I didn't even know who Titus Welliver was until "Lost" so looking back at him was cool but not as cool as remembering that I forgot John Densmore (of The Doors) was in this episode as Dylan's sponsor.

Titus was asked about this in the AV Club's Random Roles interview and it was pretty funny.  He mentioned after he did that, his father called him up on the phone and told him "That show you did last night?  That's an atrocious piece of shit."  Titus told his dad that he had bills to pay and his father told him that the show was bad for his soul and that if he needed the money that badly, he would send it to him.

• Love 3
On 11/16/2015 at 1:34 PM, Earmuffs Mom said:

Kelly was a real shit disturber here by bringing Tim to the Peach Pit.

Right???!!! It's hard not to watch this and think of her utter betrayal in the SOD.

Edited by CeeBeeGee