Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

Are you kidding me?!? This is the bazillionth blog post where she's bitching and moaning about how much she hates going to the gym/fitness class/working out. Gawd.

Philosophical Janelle should perhaps spend some time pondering why she has allowed herself to become morbidly obese and why she is throwing up roadblocks on her Strive path.

• Love 9
On 2/16/2018 at 5:11 PM, DragonFaerie said:

So I would like to say, I apologize.  I had NO intent of coming anywhere near belittling Janelle or anyone else because she bought cookies vs. made cookies.  I know that with my irregular brain - according to one of my docs, that a lot of times I can say or write something and what I am trying to say does not come across.   I was attempting to convey the sentiments made by Kohola3 in the fact it was a large family and doing fun things together are awesome.   Yes, for me, some of my favorite memories are those crazy times with multiple generations where we got together stringing popcorn, making cookies or decorations.  Those are memories that will last a lifetime.  Regardless if I were a kid or an adult, I was the one that when a kid wanted to put 1/2 a jar of sprinkles on a cookie -I'm good with it.  The kid that wanted to turn his snowman or gingerbread guy into his favorite superhero - on it.  The girl that wanted her halloween cookie to be pink - got it.  The kid that insisted his valentine cookie be black because he'd broken up with "the LOVE of his life" on it - we had to settle for grey, I couldn't make black icing.  When the grandkids and great grands looked shocked as they argued over who got to lick the mixer beaters and GGrandma grabbed them and licked them - priceless.   I lost all of my side of the family by the time I was 45 - GGrands to nieces and nephews via accidents, illness and tragic events.  I was trying to say that the FAMILY missed a great opportunity to build those memories that would be remembered forever, and that made me sad.  And Yes, I have no clue what they did with those store bought cookies or what they did with that night.  None of us know, and yes, I am guilty of assuming - and we all know what happens to those folks - LOL.  It didn't matter to me that it was Valentines' day vs. the first day of summer or National Hot Dog day.  Small celebrations can provide memories galore and sometimes that's all you have in the end.

This is very sad and I know what you mean.  I have my sisters but our parents are gone, our grandparents are gone, almost all aunts and uncles gone and we have difficult relationships with our cousins (due to some family drama of course).  I am scared of the day my sisters aren't around.  I can see thinking jeez, you have a million people in your family, why not do something together?  Isn't that the point of an enormous family?  Maybe they do a ton together and choose to show us other stuff.

• Love 7
On 2/25/2018 at 2:59 PM, MrSmith said:

I have to keep this in mind whenever I have the misfortune of opening one my wife's many "junk drawers". They're all a damned mess which chaos would utterly paralyze me if she ever let the mess out of the drawers and into the house. I'm fortunate she keeps her disorganization so well hidden. Amazingly, she knows what's in these drawers and the content have occasionally come in handy.

The Virgo in me has a hard time with junk drawers and this is just my thing.  Not one drawer/closet in my house is disorganized.  I got seriously inspired (or crazy, I am secure enough to be called crazy) after cleaning our several dead relatives homes.  I cannot tell you how many drawers had random change, paper clips, pencils, nails (not finger nails, ew!), business cards, etc.  The obsessed person I am was yelling LIKE WITH LIKE FOR FUCKS SAKE while my sisters were rolling their eyes at me.  When I kick the bucket my niece will not have to wade through 5000 pencils and paperclips all stored in different places!  I think I need a support group.  

**PS I realize I can be this way because I don't have kids and I think Mr. Natalie is afraid to mess it up.  He gets his own dude room to do as he pleases

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

The Virgo in me has a hard time with junk drawers and this is just my thing.  Not one drawer/closet in my house is disorganized.  I got seriously inspired (or crazy, I am secure enough to be called crazy) after cleaning our several dead relatives homes.  I cannot tell you how many drawers had random change, paper clips, pencils, nails (not finger nails, ew!), business cards, etc.  The obsessed person I am was yelling LIKE WITH LIKE FOR FUCKS SAKE while my sisters were rolling their eyes at me.  When I kick the bucket my niece will not have to wade through 5000 pencils and paperclips all stored in different places!  I think I need a support group.  

**PS I realize I can be this way because I don't have kids and I think Mr. Natalie is afraid to mess it up.  He gets his own dude room to do as he pleases

I'm not a Virgo.  I've had kids (and grandkids).  I have some drawers in our back entryway that have miscellaneous stuff in them, but they are extremely well organized.  I even bought a plastic utensil tray for batteries . . . and all the batteries are neatly placed, one size per tray section.  All of the drawers in my office storage cabinet are labeled, as are the drawers in our linen closet.  If you start a support group, I need to join.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm not a Virgo.  I've had kids (and grandkids).  I have some drawers in our back entryway that have miscellaneous stuff in them, but they are extremely well organized.  I even bought a plastic utensil tray for batteries . . . and all the batteries are neatly placed, one size per tray section.  All of the drawers in my office storage cabinet are labeled, as are the drawers in our linen closet.  If you start a support group, I need to join.

I am glad I am not going to be a support group of 1!  It just makes life easier!  I have also done a giant purge over the last several years.  I could clothe a small nation with all I have given away.  Not everyone is into this sort of thing but I do enjoy purging/organizing.  I would even offer my services to those that need to do it but don't know where to start.  

• Love 2

My sister was a Virgo.  She was a complete organizer and purger.  I'm a Pisces, and therefore missed the organization boat.  I really admire those who can keep even junk drawers in order.  

So Janelle thinks it's inspirational to post that she hates workouts?  Huh?  What am I missing here?  Strive is not the name for being bone lazy.  

Try another scheme to make bank.  Apparently TLC is trying to replace Sister Wives with a new show about the shitty lifestyle that is polygamy.  Better get on the stick, Kody's harem.

• Love 3

And they learned with 90 Day Fiancee that they could make a more popular show cheaper by featuring new families each season. I remember Danielle saying on FB that they only got a few thousand dollars to be on the show. 

I get the idea that Seeking Sister Wife is following the same route. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Philosophical Janelle should perhaps spend some time pondering why she has allowed herself to become morbidly obese and why she is throwing up roadblocks on her Strive path.

She also needs to ponder why, oh why, Asshat's skanky manbun makes her hot.  Or in Janelle's case, lukewarm.  It is Janelle after all.

Another thing to ponder:  what exactly is Strive because no one really knows.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I want to heart this 100 times but I can't.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/2/2018 at 3:07 PM, DakotaJustice said:

Are you kidding me?!? This is the bazillionth blog post where she's bitching and moaning about how much she hates going to the gym/fitness class/working out. Gawd.

Yeah. Pretty sure the irony that she doesn't make any sense is lost on her. Why does she have a health-based business when she seems to hate the lifestyle? That's like trying to market veggie juices whilst devouring steak. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 6
On 3/2/2018 at 5:13 PM, Natalie68 said:

Well, the tacit agreement between my wife and I is that I won't open these drawers and that, if I need anything that may be in one of them, I will tell her what I need and she will find it for me. This works well, especially because opening these drawers is a trigger for me; any time I have decided to open them, it has resulted in my yelling at her about the chaos and disorganization with her responding "This is why I tell you not to open them."

I am the type of person that if my environs are messy and disorganized, then my ability to think is compromised to an inversely proportional level. "More chaos/disorganization" == "less ability to think and plan". So we are more or less the "Jack Sprat and his wife" of clutter. :D

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I get it, taxes suck. However, procrastination seems to be a thing with Janelle.

Gimme a break.  I use Turbo Tax and it took me 20 minutes to do my taxes and that's with a plethora of forms, receipts, and itemization.

I'm not an accountant like she presumably is, either.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I'm not an accountant like she presumably is, either.

But I'm sure you don't have a half dozen scammy businesses that you have to creatively itemize, 2,641 kids and their associated expenses, four questionable mortgage interest rates and one eye on the next bankruptcy.

• Love 17
(edited)
10 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

But I'm sure you don't have a half dozen scammy businesses that you have to creatively itemize, 2,641 kids and their associated expenses, four questionable mortgage interest rates and one eye on the next bankruptcy.

I doubt she's doing anyone else's taxes other than maybe Christine's. Certainly not Meri's, and Meri most likely has the most complicated tax situation of the four at this point.

The days where she was the family accountant, I'm sure, are long gone...based on the multiple bankruptcies, she apparently did a piss poor job anyway. 

It always cracks me up to see Janelle lauded as a financial whiz. 

How lazy is she, waiting to do her taxes? I'd love to see their tax returns...

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 6

I would suspect that with her "Head of Household" status, she's eligible for some nice credits and will get a refund.  Why wait to file for that?  If it turns out you have to pay, it's better to know now and wait until April 15th to write the check.

Oh, wait.  That would involve thinking ahead.  Never mind.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I doubt she's doing anyone else's taxes other than maybe Christine's.

I was just thinking back to her panic when Kody, Meri and Robyn did their Marriage Shake-up. Her only concern was how it would affect taxes and she seemed pretty put-out about it. I assumed she did all the family taxes because seriously, can you see any of those goombas trying to use Turbo Tax? Hell, they can barely slide the bills across the table! But if she is making the others do their own taxes, good on her. They deserve it.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Were they still in the little green basket?

ETA: grape tomatoes for sandwiches sounds awful to me. 

Janelle seems to have zero intuition when it comes to food. Grape tomatoes on salad, yes. Sauteed or roasted, yes. Just pop em in your mouth and eat 'em, yes. But on a sandwich? Sounds like something the government does: Take something simple and complicate it!

• Love 7

Experienced Gardener here...     

Tomatoes that are found on the ground during garden clean up are called compost...no matter what they look like.

Those little circles that look like craters are rotten spots, they just get bigger inside the tomato.

A tomato that has sat on the ground, through a frost is going to be mealy and gross inside, even if it looks somewhat firm on the outside it will be gnarly inside.  Eww.

If she "didn't see them" during the growing season to pick them up and is just now "finding" them in her garden, then she has some really good weed cover under the tomatoes to not see red orbs sitting there.

• Love 19

@Roslyn Thank you for the information! My wife and I have what I call "Midas Touch in reverse" and what she calls "a brown thumb": Every plant we attempt to keep alive very quickly crosses over into that great Plant Heaven in the sky. I like to think that I might eventually really invest myself into getting good at gardening. I realize, however, that day will never come because there's no possibility of it happening before I retire and, once I do retire, gardening will be too much work! LOL

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

@Roslyn Thank you for the information! My wife and I have what I call "Midas Touch in reverse" and what she calls "a brown thumb": Every plant we attempt to keep alive very quickly crosses over into that great Plant Heaven in the sky. I like to think that I might eventually really invest myself into getting good at gardening. I realize, however, that day will never come because there's no possibility of it happening before I retire and, once I do retire, gardening will be too much work! LOL

I'm bad too and I pretty much treat plants as disposable - I used to buy some pretty ones in the spring and try to keep them alive until fall, toss them and then buy some nice mums, which get tossed when winter comes. I don't even bother planting anything, just keep them in the pots. It got too pricey, so now I skip the spring ones and just buy mums in the fall.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Experienced Gardener here...     

Tomatoes that are found on the ground during garden clean up are called compost...no matter what they look like.

Those little circles that look like craters are rotten spots, they just get bigger inside the tomato.

A tomato that has sat on the ground, through a frost is going to be mealy and gross inside, even if it looks somewhat firm on the outside it will be gnarly inside.  Eww.

If she "didn't see them" during the growing season to pick them up and is just now "finding" them in her garden, then she has some really good weed cover under the tomatoes to not see red orbs sitting there.

Dang, I wish you'd share this with Janelle who probably figured it out when she bit into one of those tomatoes, although she probably smothered them in so much ranch dressing she couldn't tell anyway.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

Never give up!!  I am great at my outdoor gardens, but not so much with indoor plants.  Although my lucky bamboos are beautiful, I think my low light house is good for them.

I have read enough of what you write here on the forum to get a sense of how you think and approach subjects.  Good gardening is all about good preparation, after that regular maintenance.  Read up on no till or no dig styles and know your location and how water and light effect the area before gardening.  I can highly recommend the youtube channel "One Yard Revolution".  I think that your way of thinking would mesh very well with the high yield/low work style of Patrick's garden.  What he does in his garden is truly amazing!

13 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I'm bad too and I pretty much treat plants as disposable - I used to buy some pretty ones in the spring and try to keep them alive until fall, toss them and then buy some nice mums, which get tossed when winter comes. I don't even bother planting anything, just keep them in the pots. It got too pricey, so now I skip the spring ones and just buy mums in the fall.

You can do a LOT in containers!! Many breeders of vegetables are breeding varieties just for the confinement of container gardening.  If you are creative and don't mind getting dirty, making your own hypertufa containers is a great way to choose your own shapes and sizes.  You don't have to ever wield a shovel to have a beautiful garden. :)

11 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Dang, I wish you'd share this with Janelle who probably figured it out when she bit into one of those tomatoes, although she probably smothered them in so much ranch dressing she couldn't tell anyway.

I was thinking just that!!  lolol  If she is used to buying grocery store tomatoes year round she might just think the texture is normal.  Gaggg.....

• Love 4
16 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Janelle seems to have zero intuition when it comes to food. Grape tomatoes on salad, yes. Sauteed or roasted, yes. Just pop em in your mouth and eat 'em, yes. But on a sandwich? Sounds like something the government does: Take something simple and complicate it!

As long as you are eating more veggies, that's all that matters.  

On 3/6/2018 at 6:57 AM, DakotaJustice said:

I doubt she's doing anyone else's taxes other than maybe Christine's. Certainly not Meri's, and Meri most likely has the most complicated tax situation of the four at this point.

The days where she was the family accountant, I'm sure, are long gone...based on the multiple bankruptcies, she apparently did a piss poor job anyway. 

It always cracks me up to see Janelle lauded as a financial whiz. 

How lazy is she, waiting to do her taxes? I'd love to see their tax returns...

I would imagine the bankruptcies were from using credits cards because there just wasn't enough money to support 4 adults and 12 kids at the time.  So they bought on credit knowing they wouldn't be able to pay it all back.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

As long as you are eating more veggies, that's all that matters.  

I would imagine the bankruptcies were from using credits cards because there just wasn't enough money to support 4 adults and 12 kids at the time.  So they bought on credit knowing they wouldn't be able to pay it all back.

But old woody rotten tomatoes?  There are no nutrients left in them really, not to mention they taste terrible.  I'll bet that after she took that pic and actually tried to eat one, she threw the rest away.

As I said, poor money management and not something you'd see from a "financial whiz".  Either don't have as many kids, or figure out a way to make it work on a budget.  Janelle is no planner by a long shot.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Janelle is no planner by a long shot.

Well, I don't know about that. She's pretty good at planning to fail. Oh, wait...... That requires failing to plan. Yes, you are right. She is no planner! :D

This is what Janelle describes as “this week’s produce buying co-op haul”.

28952000_1706783232704127_86310201804668

She goes on to say it will be a good challenge to “go back to having the base of my food intake to be fruits and vegetables”

8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This is what Janelle describes as “this week’s produce buying co-op haul”.

28952000_1706783232704127_86310201804668ei 

She goes on to say it will be a good challenge to “go back to having the base of my food intake to be fruits and vegetables”

It seems a little heavy on potatoes.  There are the 2 rows up top and isn't that a bag of potatoes far left, next to the kale.

With their proximity to California, I am amazed that they don't have more variety and fresher looking fruits and vegetables.  I live in Eastern Canada, in a village of 1300 people and in the dead of winter, my local supermarket offers more appealing variety than that.

What is co-op shopping?

That looks like the contents of one of the places that has prepared boxes.  You put in four hours of work and get a reduced price box or perhaps in Janelle's case just pay the co-op price.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Absolom said:

That looks like the contents of one of the places that has prepared boxes.  You put in four hours of work and get a reduced price box or perhaps in Janelle's case just pay the co-op price.

I remember co-op shops in the 70's.  Nowadays, it seems like farmer's markets are pretty common.  My small city has a couple of different ones from April thru October.  I live in orchard country, and local produce abounds.  

I agree that there are too many spuds in Janelle's haul, but it's an improvement over mock tapioca and tater tot casserole.  Or am I confusing Duggar vs Brown diets?

Here's a suggestion, Janelle.  Ditch the smoothies and juices.  Eat the whole orange, or carrots, or kale, or whatever it is.  More filling and more fiber, and more conducive to weight loss/management.

• Love 3

There are co-ops where you can buy in and sign up for a load, half load, quarter load of produce depending on your needs.  They fill your order with whatever is available in that growing period.   It changes each time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

There are co-ops where you can buy in and sign up for a load, half load, quarter load of produce depending on your needs.  They fill your order with whatever is available in that growing period.   It changes each time.

One of the vegan youtube channels i watch, the person says to eat your foods in the most whole form if you can, as it take your digestive system, longer to break it down and as a result you feel fuller longer.  It also wont cause you to sugar  crash.  My mom does Weight Watchers and she said the fruit and veg are no points, but if you put them into a smoothie they count as points.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, lma said:

I think maybe he had purchased it and was reselling it.

That' actually happens pretty routinely at farm markets and stands.  It allows the vendors to sell items that are not in season at their farms or local farms.  My dad used to go to Eastern Market in Detroit every Saturday. He'd scope out the goods and look for shipping boxes that indicated the produce was shipped in from somewhere else.

In defense of that practice, in my area of Michigan for example, you cannot start selling sweet corn until later in the summer when it's ready.  But people want sweet corn all summer long so locals will buy it from elsewhere and sell it along with their early veggies.  And you aren't going to be able to buy fresh locally grown strawberries in August as they are a June fruit.  If farmers only sold what they grow locally, there's only be a few items available at any one time.

I just want organic, non-GMO, a and pesticide free. I don't care where it comes from.

I'm glad that Janelle is at least trying to eat healthy.

• Love 6

It looks healthier than some of her choices.  I wonder if she will eat them close to their natural form or "cook them down" with fat, breading, etc.  Funny story.  We have a local farmers market.  One vendor got caught because she forgot to pull the grocery sticker off her tomatoes!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Have to share one of our local Farmers Market vendors who also has a thriving Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) box business. 

THIS is California produce at its best. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

She'll never live up to the standards of nutritional perfection set by people with wifi and a keyboard.

If she is doesn't want to be criticized, stop posting crap all over the Internet.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

If she is doesn't want to be criticized, stop posting crap all over the Internet.

That goes without saying for everyone on every thread. But this post seems like exactly the kind of thing everyone's been saying she should do: fresh vegetables and fruit! I could not have imagined the criticisms it inspired, and I bet she couldn't either. The hyper-specific and intense scrutiny around how people eat (not just here, but all over the internet) is so bizarre to me. It's like religious extremism. People nitpick food choices and often devolve into oddly personal fantasies about what they would feed those children or how they would plan that person's meals, and throw in anecdotes about their own perfect choices. And for some reason they all use the term "veggies" instead of vegetables. It's a tell, like how you can pick out a Scientologist if you know the vocabulary to listen for.

I agree, Janelle, really shouldn't bother, because this is how it's always going to go. I just feel bad for her because she probably didn't expect this post to be chalked up as another food fail.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And stop showing intimate moments of your life on national television.

• Love 2