Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, MischaMouse said:

but I thought that was the idea. Mutual support or something.

Then why should people have to pay to mutually support her in her journey? She could just blog about what she is doing, end of story. Instead, she is also trying to make a buck off of people by having them invest with her "team", who don't appear to be doing anything successful with her. It's all so scammy-feeling.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Then why should people have to pay to mutually support her in her journey? She could just blog about what she is doing, end of story. Instead, she is also trying to make a buck off of people by having them invest with her "team", who don't appear to be doing anything successful with her. It's all so scammy-feeling.

This! It would be different if she had already gotten fit and even got a personal trainer cert--THEN I could see her starting a health and fitness business: "Hey guys, I did it, and you can too" or something of that nature. As it is now, it's more like "Muddle through with Janelle while we figure this thing out". In the meantime, here are some costly coaches for you. 

These women start businesses and then they don't really go anywhere because they don't seem to have enough expertise to sustain them (except maybe Meri's LLR, so many people are doing that now).

• Love 11
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

This! It would be different if she had already gotten fit and even got a personal trainer cert--THEN I could see her starting a health and fitness business: "Hey guys, I did it, and you can too" or something of that nature. As it is now, it's more like "Muddle through with Janelle while we figure this thing out". In the meantime, here are some costly coaches for you. 

This.  Marie Osmond she ain't.

• Love 7

Hm, I went to the library and checked out six or seven books.  I skimmed them and took ideas from three or four of them.  I've lost 9 pounds in about six weeks.  Speedy it isn't, but steady is supposed to be best.   How much has Janelle lost in those same six weeks?  At least she's accepted she needs to cook at home more.  I had to accept I had to prepare food at home 99% of the time to lose weight.  Janelle has taken years it seems to acknowledge that she needs to prepare even quite a few meals at home.  She has at least begun to get that idea and from feedback she seems to be getting the idea that vegetables are important.  I still wonder who her customer base might be?  The 600 pound people eating Twinkies and drinking a gallon or two of soda a day?  It certainly isn't the even moderately motivated halfway knowledgeable people with 20 to 30 pounds to lose.  Maybe she is speaking to what she knows with people who are 350 pounds and up who can't walk up one flight of stairs.  I would think they'd still find other avenues more beneficial, but just maybe Janelle is motivating to someone in a similar or even worse situation than she is.

• Love 2

I'm convinced that the sole reason for SWJ's existence is at the bottom of the website: 

"As seen on TLC". 

It's just a plot device. They don't need it right NOW,  because they have Mykelti's wedding, Maddie's baby, Mariah's girlfriend etc. But it will be used. 

The trainers agreed to be part of it for the visibility. It's tough in the fitness industry. 

• Love 6

These women start businesses and then they don't really go anywhere because they don't seem to have enough expertise to sustain them (except maybe Meri's LLR, so many people are doing that now).

Good god yes.  Loose the weight and THEN say, this is how I did it.  Kirsty, Valerie, Marie and Oprah are the ones who people are watching.  And I am sure all of them have brought business to the weight plan they use.  All diets work if you stick to them.  No matter what the gimmick it always boils down to eating less and moving more.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I don't disagree. There are plenty of free resources. I don't know why anyone would pay to join her. She COULD have a blog and just make money off of ads or something. IF she felt the need to monetize, which she obviously does. 

• Love 1

Little known fact:  Marie Antoinette did not suggest that starving French peasants "eat cake."  What she really said was "Let them eat KALE!"  It was actually a very caring suggestion.  She was just looking out for them.

Duuhhhh thanks for nothing Janelle.  You twit. 

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Kale is better than cake.  Who knew?  

Nuh-uh! That's totally groundbreaking information no one EVER has heard of...................(love me some kale, I grow it at home:).

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Little known fact:  Marie Antoinette did not suggest that starving French peasants "eat cake."  What she really said was "Let them eat KALE!"  It was actually a very caring suggestion.  She was just looking out for them.

Duuhhhh thanks for nothing Janelle.  You twit. 

One letter can change history.  What a gal she was.  

1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

Nuh-uh! That's totally groundbreaking information no one EVER has heard of...................(love me some kale, I grow it at home:).

I am not fond of it.  I have tried cooking it a number of ways.  Swiss Chard is my favorite vegetable.  

• Love 1
(edited)

@Celia Rubenstein.  LOVE your cake.  Jesus

Poor Janelle is new to food (real variety).  She has no clue that she is posting baby talk.  Seriously.  Do any of them have a know the basics about nutrition?  She has no sounding board in that cul de sac.  Her talk at that conference, in AZ in April, is going to embarrass her.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, wings707 said:

One letter can change history.  What a gal she was.  

I am not fond of it.  I have tried cooking it a number of ways.  Swiss Chard is my favorite vegetable.  

I like kale chopped with other veggies, then topped with chicken breast strips sautéed with something like asada seasoning (use whatever you want). The juices make a perfect "dressing", then add some avocado and pico de gallo with a splash of chili sauce :). 

Ok, now I'm hungry. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, wings707 said:

@Celia Rubenstein.  LOVE your cake.  Jesus

Poor Janelle is new to food (real variety).  She has no clue that she is posting baby talk.  Seriously.  Do any of them have a clue about nutrition?  She has no sounding board in that cul de sac.  Her talk at that conference, in AZ in April, is going to embarrass her.  

The kale-cake comment said it all. It's like she just noticed gravity and wants to start figuring out the rules (and then sharing them).

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

The kale-cake comment said it all. It's like she just noticed gravity and wants to start figuring out the rules (and then sharing them).

And charging people for her wisdom.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Totally this.  So sad, really. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

What the actual fuck did I just read? I mean, I already knew she and the rest of the adults in that sham of a marriage are stupid. I just never expected their brain power to be so low as to not be able to figure this out. Christ Almighty, she could have spent a week following the Weight Watchers program and she'd have learned this. I hope to God that real people are not actually paying her for access to information like this. I really hope that all her subscribers are bots.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I hope to God that real people are not actually paying her for access to information like this.

I am sure that there are leg humping fans hanging on her every word just like those who post all kinds of thumbs up sycophantic messages on her Twitter account.  They are all as dumb as rocks but I bet they feel just super badass having a "relationship" with a "TV star".  Sad what this country has come to.

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, wings707 said:

Poor Janelle is new to food (real variety).  She has no clue that she is posting baby talk.  Seriously.  Do any of them have a know the basics about nutrition?  She has no sounding board in that cul de sac.  Her talk at that conference, in AZ in April, is going to embarrass her.  

And all of it from a woman whose go-to snack was a cookie sheet loaded with peanut-butter Fritos, so...yeah.

When are these people going to realize that they are truly not the special snowflakes they think they are?  That being stuck in a miserable "marriage" to a beady-eyed caveman surfer-dude wannabe does not give them a platform and insta-knowledge of things like fitness, health, fashion and jool'ry?  My guess is, once the bank comes a'calling for three of the four houses and they all have to move in with Meri, they MIGHT wake up and smell the green goo.  Until that happens, they will continue to float along on their clouds of "duhhhhhhhhhhh" and insist that they are, in fact, celebrities. 

Note: if the above scenario ever does happen, and they all have to move in together?  My keester will be firmly affixed to the couch each Sunday night with a bowl of popcorn at the ready to watch that go down.  Are you listening, TLC?

10 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Tomorrow: 12oz. of Sprite is not the same as 12oz. of water -- EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE BOTH CLEAR!!?!'n wtf

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! 

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 7

That video is terrible. How does the person holding the phone not realize they're not even getting her face in the shot? She encourages her followers to keep posting pictures of their meals. Hopefully, she'll learn from them how to cook some better meals and we'll be able to see her meals improve. That is assuming, of course, that she follows through and actually posts pictures of her meals.

I have to say I'm a little surprised (and a little impressed) by her willingness to put herself out there with these pictures and to not have taken any of them down (a la Meri) in the face of the withering criticism she's received here (and that we're all but certain she's reading). And I say that knowing she's doing this as a business venture, but so is Meri. And only Janelle has had the stones to stick it out in spite of how harsh we've been. Of course, maybe she doesn't have a choice since she has partners and Meri does not; I just have serious doubts that is the driver here. Anyway, I really do hope that she starts making better meals - both in the sense of nutritionally that will help her achieve her goals and in the sense of looks like it will taste a whole lot better.

On 3/30/2017 at 6:42 AM, tabloidlover said:

Sooooo ummm.   Couple things.  Why does her ground beef say "not for sale" and is her big tip for spicing up dinner merely adding taco seasoning to the ground beef?

I am an admitted taco snob since this is one of my very favorite foods.  If she wanted to be healthier she could do soft tacos.  I am not a fan of those premade taco shells.  Or the taqueria style of meat/onion/cilantro.  I am beginning to think she will cook the .39 Kraft Mac N Cheese and call it homemade.  I may have reached a point with her that everything she does related to food is going to bug me.

On 3/30/2017 at 7:23 AM, DakotaJustice said:

Cheap video made with a cheap phone. 

Did you see all the grease coming out of the ground beef? Cheap meat. 

I loathe Old El Paso. I live in California so of course I have my pick of Mexican groceries, taquerias, and so on. 

Butter lettuce really? Jarred salsa really? 

Jennie O makes a taco seasoned ground turkey. I buy it all the time but if I was going to make tacos I'd opt for marinated flap meat BBQ d on the grill - 5 minutes on each side then let it rest and chop it up.

Buy some soft corn tortillas, you can get a huge package for a few bucks. 

Use angel hair shredded cabbage for texture and crunch not butter lettuce, unless you're going to use the leaves as shells instead of tortillas. 

That just looks nasty. 

THAT skeeved me big time!  It looked like fat soup.

• Love 1
On 4/1/2017 at 6:06 AM, ginger90 said:

Food banks also use the not for sale label. Just saying.

Final meal in the challenge, by Janelle

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/847981052454813696/photo/1

May as well be the Duggars doing this meal challenge.  What is really bugging me is the site is supposed to be inspirational but seeing her make meals that look like the 'before' of Recipe Rehab is not inspirational.  I am sure they eat very similarly to a lot of people but normal people aren't trying to grift money on some BS site or have made a lot of money on a reality show. 

On 4/3/2017 at 10:42 AM, VedaPierce said:

She's out of her league. She has no business selling herself as being a wellness pro. She actually wants money for what she's doing and that's a joke. Shouldn't she have qualifications or something in diet, nutrition, fitness? She makes and posts some mediocre meals and wants me to pay her. What a joke. 

The Brown's 1/2 ass everything.  

• Love 2
On 4/4/2017 at 8:30 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Janelle needs to make this for her crappy website.  This way she can have her cake and eat it, too, so to speak.

It's KALE CAKE! 

KaleAppleCake-1024x682.jpg

That's a sin against nature and whoever thought it up should be imprisoned immediately for the health and safety of the world. We can't trust people like that to remain in society. Next thing we know, they will be replacing the cream and sugar in ice cream with turnips

STOP THE MADNESS!!!

On 4/4/2017 at 11:12 PM, CofCinci said:

Tomorrow: 12oz. of Sprite is not the same as 12oz. of water -- EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE BOTH CLEAR!!?!'n wtf

She's the one being punked. 

Clearly the only clear liquid {heh} one should drink is vodka since it's made with potatoes, a real food. Or real moonshine, since it is made with real fruits and vegetables, but not that rot gut that is made with juice and yeast. That's not real food. 

I'm going to open a blog, sell limited memberships, and give awesome dieting advice that everyone will want to follow. It can't be much worse than what is already out there, and if you drunk off of White Lightning, you won't even realize I sold your credit card info to some Russian hackers because you were dumb enough to use it on an unsecured site. Strive's site may be okay, I haven't checked, but see no reason to give her the benefit of the doubt when the Browns prior sites weren't secure. That's like a few dollars a month. Who can afford that expense?

• Love 2

PRIVACY POLICY

STRIVE with Janelle does not collect any personally identifiable information (PII) about you when you visit our web site unless you choose to provide that information to us. We do collect some data about your visit to our web site to better understand how the public uses the site and how to make it more helpful. Strive with Janelle never collects information for commercial marketing or any purpose unrelated to its functions.

PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION (PII): If you choose to send us personal information by email, or by filling out a form on our web site, we use that information to respond to your message and to help us provide you with the information or material that you request. If provided, PII is maintained in a database that is regularly purged. Third party contractors may have access to this information in order to provide a response to your question or comment. These contractors are held to strict policies to safeguard the information and provide the same level of privacy protection as guaranteed by STRIVE with Janelle.

Blah blah blah

Those who promote Kale like Janelle:   Us severely hypothyroid people can't eat kale.  Or broccoli.  It goes against our thyroids. 

Foods that form thiocyanates:

Bamboo Shoots

Cassava*

Corn

Flax

Lima Beans

Sweet Potato

Cruciferous Vegetables:

Arugula

Bok choy

Broccoli

Broccolini

Brussels sprouts

Cabbage

Canola

Cauliflower

Chinese Broccoli

Chinese cabbage

Choy sum

Collard greens

Horseradish

Kale

Kohlrabi

Mizuna

Mustard Greens

Mustard Seeds

Radishes

Rapini

Rutabagas

Turnips

Wasabi

Watercress

I looked up the winner's instagram.   Among her home cooked meals were fried chicken tenders with corn, mashed potatoes and gravy; chicken and tortellini in alfredo sauce; and "breakfast for dinner" featuring bacon, eggs, hash browns and biscuits with cream cheese.

I take it that "healthy" was not part of the contest requirements. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I looked up the winner's instagram.   Among her home cooked meals were fried chicken tenders with corn, mashed potatoes and gravy; chicken and tortellini in alfredo sauce; and "breakfast for dinner" featuring bacon, eggs, hash browns and biscuits with cream cheese.

Perfect example of the blind following the blind. What a joke. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Has Janelle lost any weight with STRIVE? 

From what I have seen of her (by, admittedly, casually observing via the show), it doesn't seem so.

9 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

No, sadly, "healthy" was not part of the contest requirements. Just that it had to be "home cooked", but even that didn't seem to be a hard-and-fast requirement since one of the submissions was a banana and 15 almonds. Another submission was a cup of tea, which is at least "home cooked" and yet is not a meal.

1 minute ago, MrSmith said:

From what I have seen of her (by, admittedly, casually observing via the show), it doesn't seem so.

No, sadly, "healthy" was not part of the contest requirements. Just that it had to be "home cooked", but even that didn't seem to be a hard-and-fast requirement since one of the submissions was a banana and 15 almonds. Another submission was a cup of tea, which is at least "home cooked" and yet is not a meal.

What's the point of STRIVE then? Wasn't it meant to lead people in a healthier direction? I retract my previous statement of the blind following the blind--it's worse than that. These women and their failed attempts at businesses because they don't know what they're doing. 

• Love 3

@TurtlePower Well, yeah. This is why everyone is being so hard on her. She's supposed to be helping people get healthy by eating healthier and exercising, and yet she makes these awful meals and accepts others' terrible meals as entries in her contest. There were a couple of entries that looked pretty healthy and pretty tasty. Yet, when it came time to hand out the awards, she couldn't decide and had to draw names. And that's just completely ridiculous because there were some entries that were clearly very good and, as you, I, and others have pointed out, other entries that are ridiculously terrible.

I agree that she doesn't know what she's doing. In fact, I think this "business" got started because she lost five pounds after working "rilly hard" in the gym for a week (I'll leave the definition of "rilly hard" - and even "week" - up to you), and then it dawned on her that other people find eating healthy, home-cooked meals and exercising to be "rilly hard", too. So, she decided she'd start a business around what she's already doing. Of course, the problem is that she took no time to do any learning or thinking. She didn't learn that just because a meal is "home-cooked" doesn't mean it's healthy. And she didn't invest any time into thinking about how to implement this as a business, or bother to put together any real goals beyond the vague "lose weight, get healthy". So, just like with their shitty jool'ry business, they've got no business plan and no road map of where they want to go. And that means they're effectively driving this thing forward by looking at the pavement six inches in front of their feet. In turn, that means that a year or two from now, when she's still lost only maybe 10 pounds from doing this and it's not really turning a profit, they'll wonder how they got so completely and utterly lost when they had such "good goals" and good intentions.

• Love 4

What's the point of STRIVE then? Wasn't it meant to lead people in a healthier direction? I retract my previous statement of the blind following the blind--it's worse than that. These women and their failed attempts at businesses because they don't know what they're doing. 

The sole mission of STRIVE is to make money for Janelle because she realizes that she lives on borrowed time in the Kody-verse.  Kody's regard towards her is based the fact that she mothered many of his children.  Once all their children are adults, they will not have any relationship and he will have no reason to give her a share of the family money (since he's a dick).

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CofCinci said:

The sole mission of STRIVE is to make money for Janelle because she realizes that she lives on borrowed time in the Kody-verse.  Kody's regard towards her is based the fact that she mothered many of his children.  Once all their children are adults, they will not have any relationship and he will have no reason to give her a share of the family money (since he's a dick).

Is Kody the sole recipient of pay from TLC and up to him to divide?  That doesn't sound right.  They (K and wives) are equal "stars" in this show.  The name is Sister Wives, not Kody and his and his Wives.  

15 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Is Kody the sole recipient of pay from TLC and up to him to divide?  That doesn't sound right.  They (K and wives) are equal "stars" in this show.  The name is Sister Wives, not Kody and his and his Wives.  

Kody formed a company called Kody Brown Family Entertainment, LLC.  Kody and all the wives are listed as "mmembers" of the LLC.  It is possible/probable that all of the money from the show goes to the LLC, and is distributed according to the way they've set it up.  

• Love 1

Yet, when it came time to hand out the awards, she couldn't decide and had to draw names. And that's just completely ridiculous because there were some entries that were clearly very good and, as you, I, and others have pointed out, other entries that are ridiculously terrible.

Such an inspiration. She couldn't even bother to keep it a contest and was so baffled it became a simple drawing of names. I don't think there were many entries judging by the slips of paper in the bowl. If I had entered such a contest and really put effort and time in, I would be pissed.

• Love 11

Back when psycho JO was still commenting as Sam's friend and/or employee, but not as Lindsay, she answered the payment split on All About the Tea. Since I have no idea how to find that comment again, and my firewall and virus scanner hate AATT because they have some code on their site so you cannot copy their grammatically and poorly written articles making it not worth it to go and try searching, the following is from memory.

The family is paid in a lump sum to the Kody Brown Family Entertainment, LLC and it was deposited into that company bank account. The annual amount paid to the Brown Family Entertainment was between $225,000 and $275,000 per year, depending on viewer bonuses. It was in line with what many of us determined their salary to be based on other shows.

Every month, a set amount was disbursed to each wife and Kody. I cannot remember the amounts, but Janelle got the most, Christine and Robyn received the same amount which was a little less than Janelle, Meri got the least for the wives, but was still maybe $1000 or so less than Janelle, and then Kody got a few thousand each month, too. I think Janelle received about $4500 and Meri $3500 per month, with Christine and Robyn somewhere in the middle and Kody getting a scrap amount. At that time, Mariah was in college and even though Meri was still covering expenses for her, it was basically just her which is why she got less. 

JO lied about a lot of things, but a lot of this type of information turned out to be true, so it's worth what you paid for it.

ETA: I think the Strive people contacted Janelle and asked her to be the public face. There is a lot going on with that website and I don't believe she writes those articles. 

• Love 4