Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

51 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

I have anxiety from just looking at that pic.   How the hell does she even know what she has??   It appears she just shoves all grocery purchases on the shelves in her pantry upon returning from the store.   I can only imagine all of the expired shit in the back.....  Janelle - you have NO job.  You should be able to spend 5 minutes putting away your groceries in an organized fashion.

I was going to suggest she watch Pioneer Woman as she has a "recipe" for 7 can soup where she literally opens 7 cans of crap into a pot and calls it soup.

Kohola3 beat me to it!   Great (traumatized) minds   :=)

It stressed me out just looking at that mess.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Can't help but laugh at this. How "busy" are her days? It's not like she's working medical resident hours.

What's worse are the people commenting, "What an accomplishment!" or "That's impressive!" Give me a break, you suck-ups! For an able-bodied person, cooking at home is what I call NORMAL. Out to eat or take-out food is rare. 

• Love 10
20 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Wait a minute.  All you have to do is cook 10 meals at home in a MONTH?  And for that you win a gift card?  Holy cow, the bar is set low.  If I eat 10 meals out in a month, that's unusual.  Eating out is expensive.  I know this is on the website, but is this the quality of advise people are paying for?  I think I would demand my money back.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Ooooops! It's 10 meals on 10 different days

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRlQ15JgfAL/

10 different meals on 10 different days, to be completed before the 31st.  Roughly 18 days to do it ... 

I don't think it's all that demanding.  Especially if whipping up a simple breakfast counts.  Poach an egg, make some toast, slice some fruit.  Big whoop.  She should have made it ten dinners or something.  Still not that hard, but a bit more of a "challenge."

I am looking forward to seeing what the winner concocts.  

2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Pretty cheap prepaid card at $75. Why even bother?!

That's sort of a random amount, isn't it?  lol

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/841469222261743616?p=v

The visual....

She does know it doesn't come already cooked, right? Unless she feels prep includes grocery shopping too

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleBrown117/status/841464104330055681?p=v

How busy is this woman that she cannot shop for groceries once a week? In summer my work days are usually 13 hours long including driving. Somehow, I manage to prep meals without it being some kind of accomplishment--one of my weekend days is spent planning for the week but that seems pretty normal for those of us who do this on a regular basis. 

I will admit, grocery pickup seems kinda awesome--especially for someone with panic disorder and social anxiety (me). As it is now I use Sam's Club's app to pay for things so I don't have to wait in line. It. Is. Awesome.

• Love 4

I don't follow how #10Mealsin10Days is promoting health and fitness, with Janelle posting a meal of hamburgers and cole slaw.  Sure, a grilled burger with no bun and cole slaw minus the creamy dressing could be considered somewhat healthy.  But if this is what Janelle chooses to post, I'm guessing her other meals made at home are not post-able.

She seems to be following the guidelines that are easiest for her.  So why would anyone take advice from a Z-list celeb who doesn't seem to have the tools to motivate anyone, least of all herself?

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

How busy is this woman that she cannot shop for groceries once a week? In summer my work days are usually 13 hours long including driving. Somehow, I manage to prep meals without it being some kind of accomplishment--one of my weekend days is spent planning for the week but that seems pretty normal for those of us who do this on a regular basis. 

I will admit, grocery pickup seems kinda awesome--especially for someone with panic disorder and social anxiety (me). As it is now I use Sam's Club's app to pay for things so I don't have to wait in line. It. Is. Awesome.

LOL. Here's the thing: At our house, it's just my wife and me. She plans the meals and cooks them (she's a housewife and damn good at it). And even though it's just us, she still plans meals that we'll eat for four days running. Last week she made this fantastic Italian meatloaf with hamburger, some pork, kalamata olives, and vegetables in it. (I'm turrible with recipes. So, forgive me that I don't have real good specifics on this.) We ate meatloaf for four days. Dinner prep isn't so hard if you plan them so that there's left-overs. My mom always did this growing up (and she worked outside the home).

My sister-in-law does not do this. In fact, her children will generally refuse to eat left-overs, except when they come to our house. I'm not sure whether they don't gripe about left-overs because they know their choices are left-overs or nothing; OR whether it's because they actually enjoy the food. In the case of my wife's meatloaf, I know for sure it's because they enjoy the food because they won't eat their mother's meatloaf, but they beg my wife for hers.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I don't follow how #10Mealsin10Days is promoting health and fitness, with Janelle posting a meal of hamburgers and cole slaw.  Sure, a grilled burger with no bun and cole slaw minus the creamy dressing could be considered somewhat healthy.  But if this is what Janelle chooses to post, I'm guessing her other meals made at home are not post-able.

That was not an impressive "meal."  It was more like something I'd do if desperate to put food on the table in a hurry.  The allegedly homemade slaw looked out of a deli container to me at worst and at best jarred dressing over bagged slaw mix. 

• Love 6

I could understand the whole "cooking and eating a homecooked meal" being a big deal if Janelle was a busy busy Realtor.  If she had a "run to the client at a moment's notice" kind of on call job.  That kind of job means that things have to be planned for kids to be able to easily fend for themselves when Janelle has to run out and actually....work for a living.  The need for a clear plan for cooking and shopping etc would really be important...if Janelle was a busy busy Realtor.

However...as a Reality Television Star she knows when the filming is happening.  I'm sure that never really happens at a moments notice, but it's planned out.  So...DUH....you can plan in advance.  Shopping in advance to have a quality pantry...lists of pre made and frozen meals that are family size for when the family schedule does line up or single size for kids to fend for themselves as needed.  THAT is how a REAL busy life and work family operates.  My husband travels for work.  My kids are grown and one has his own apartment with a full time job and the other is full time at university with a successful etsy shop.  My husband is usually only home on the weekends and I STILL plan out meals and shopping.  It's just ME through the week and then us.  We usually discuss ideas two or more weeks in advance. 

You put time and energy into what is important.  I have a feeling that "cooking at home" is now important to Janelle to have on her STRIVE program...so all of a sudden making a grilled burger (probably from a pre formed frozen pattie) and cole slaw (hopefully homemade...but I suspect a bag of pre-shredded cabbage "slaw" mix and jarred sauce) becomes a HUGE deal and the biggest accomplishment. 

...and really!!?? A paper plate?? I would have thought that a $450,000 home would have a dishwasher in that budget.

• Love 7

That was not an impressive "meal."

If her goal is to promote healthy eating, that ain't it.  Your plate should be 1/3 protein and 2/3 colorful vegetables.  Hasn't she ever heard of the food pyramid?  It's not rocket science.

• Love 6

Whether deli bought or home made, that's a creamy mayo-based sauce on that slaw. And I see cheese peeking out of that burger.  I guess they could be low fat versions, but she ought to say so. Because that meal really doesn't scream out "health conscious" to me as it stands. 

Everyone on her page is making a big deal commenting that it's fine she is using paper plates, she has such a big family and should spend time with them, not doing dishes.  No one seems to feel differently. Does Janelle delete the negative comments she gets? Because I can't believe not one person thinks paper plates suck.  The Duggars are always eating off paper plates with plastic utensils and it makes me crazy thinking of the waste generated. There seems to be this idea that with such a big family you don't want to dirty a bunch of dishes ... but filling an huge garbage bag every day with stuff that will live forever in a landfill is fine and dandy.  It irritates the hell out of me!

Maybe it's unheard of these days, but her kids could actually HELP with the dishes after dinner instead of plopping down in front of the TV or getting on their smartphones for the rest of the night.  She could be teaching them housekeeping skills and responsible earth stewardship while spending time with them. It's not like Janelle would have to spend the rest of the night walking to a well to draw water and heating it on a fire alone in the back yard to get her dishes done. Ten minutes loading the damn dishwasher, sheesh.

That slaw looked nasty, by the way.  And the bun was way too much bread for whatever tiny burger lurked underneath. Not appealing at all!

• Love 13

Maybe her trash bill is past due, so she's burning trash. Hence the paper plates. (I doubt they can burn where they live, but still!!)

My daughter has used the shop online, pick up at the store deal. I personally like to see the meat and such first.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Whether deli bought or home made, that's a creamy mayo-based sauce on that slaw. And I see cheese peeking out of that burger.  I guess they could be low fat versions, but she ought to say so. Because that meal really doesn't scream out "health conscious" to me as it stands. 

Everyone on her page is making a big deal commenting that it's fine she is using paper plates, she has such a big family and should spend time with them, not doing dishes.  No one seems to feel differently. Does Janelle delete the negative comments she gets? Because I can't believe not one person thinks paper plates suck.  The Duggars are always eating off paper plates with plastic utensils and it makes me crazy thinking of the waste generated. There seems to be this idea that with such a big family you don't want to dirty a bunch of dishes ... but filling an huge garbage bag every day with stuff that will live forever in a landfill is fine and dandy.  It irritates the hell out of me!

Maybe it's unheard of these days, but her kids could actually HELP with the dishes after dinner instead of plopping down in front of the TV or getting on their smartphones for the rest of the night.  She could be teaching them housekeeping skills and responsible earth stewardship while spending time with them. It's not like Janelle would have to spend the rest of the night walking to a well to draw water and heating it on a fire alone in the back yard to get her dishes done. Ten minutes loading the damn dishwasher, sheesh.

That slaw looked nasty, by the way.  And the bun was way too much bread for whatever tiny burger lurked underneath. Not appealing at all!

Celia, I couldn't agree more.  I am all about recycling and I abhor waste.  The Browns don't seem to give a shit, and those Duggars?  I can't even begin to understand their selfishness.  It's crazy.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

The Browns don't seem to give a shit, and those Duggars?  

And yet they are all supposedly "religious" people - who don't apparently give a rat's ass about preserving the earth God gave them.  Typical Jesus freaks.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MrSmith said:

LOL. Here's the thing: At our house, it's just my wife and me. She plans the meals and cooks them (she's a housewife and damn good at it). And even though it's just us, she still plans meals that we'll eat for four days running. Last week she made this fantastic Italian meatloaf with hamburger, some pork, kalamata olives, and vegetables in it. (I'm turrible with recipes. So, forgive me that I don't have real good specifics on this.) We ate meatloaf for four days. Dinner prep isn't so hard if you plan them so that there's left-overs. My mom always did this growing up (and she worked outside the home).

My sister-in-law does not do this. In fact, her children will generally refuse to eat left-overs, except when they come to our house. I'm not sure whether they don't gripe about left-overs because they know their choices are left-overs or nothing; OR whether it's because they actually enjoy the food. In the case of my wife's meatloaf, I know for sure it's because they enjoy the food because they won't eat their mother's meatloaf, but they beg my wife for hers.

Okay, now I just want that recipe.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I dislike "vilifying" certain foods and am not against the occasional lean meat grilled burger, or even buns for that matter (prefer 100 calorie rounds myself) but mayo is a real calorie culprit. At 100 calories per tablespoon, it should be used sparingly. I usually blend it with other things like sriracha, horseradish, mustard, chopped onions/chives etc. for tasty sauces with a hint of creaminess/low on calories. I hate slaws so heavy on mayo blends they are not worth eating--I don't need 600 calories in one bowl thank you very much.  The star of the show is the cabbage, not the sauce.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

With the exception of Logan back when they were isolated and poor, Janelle's kids aren't the Cinderella children (like Christine's batch).  Help with the dishes?  No way.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2017 at 5:40 AM, tabloidlover said:

I have anxiety from just looking at that pic.   How the hell does she even know what she has??   It appears she just shoves all grocery purchases on the shelves in her pantry upon returning from the store.   I can only imagine all of the expired shit in the back.....  Janelle - you have NO job.  You should be able to spend 5 minutes putting away your groceries in an organized fashion.

I was going to suggest she watch Pioneer Woman as she has a "recipe" for 7 can soup where she literally opens 7 cans of crap into a pot and calls it soup.

Kohola3 beat me to it!   Great (traumatized) minds   :=)

Well I was going to write nearly this exact post.  That pantry made me stabby.  With no job why does one have to purchase jarred pimento cheese?  Literally the easiest shit to make.  I saw lots of beans, I think canned tomatoes, anything semi healthful (raw almonds I think and coconut milk) was after watching a late night diet infomercial ala Sweating to the Oldies, think I spied some ramen...  I live for looking into the pantries and fridges of other people.  

She is part of a very patriarchal family with a million kids and a needy husband.  Wifely duties and assigned gender roles are part and parcel for this bunch.  So I AM shocked that they don't even do that well.  I am a heathen, atheist wife who works a million hours a week and MY pantry is organized. 

5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

She seems to be following the guidelines that are easiest for her.  So why would anyone take advice from a Z-list celeb who doesn't seem to have the tools to motivate anyone, least of all herself?

Wonder if she is counting microwave meals as 'cooking' a meal?  I would not be surprised.  You don't get the Brown physique by cooking your own food.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

That kind of waste makes me scream!  Its just Mr. Natalie and me and I even for take out I use real plates and silver wear PLUS cloth napkins.  The cloth napkins are because I am cheap and think paper napkins (that I grew up using) are wasteful, not that I am trying to fancy it up.  They have kids in that house so extra hands to wash them.  And to take this back to an old Janelle mystery of not paying for her trash service.  If she is using paper plates etc she must have a ton of trash.

• Love 3

Four of her six kids are gone. Maddie is living at Meri's, Logan had been gone for years, Hunter and Garrison are away at military academy. So that leaves two. 

Eta to say I point out the above to call BS on her claim that she has a lot of mouths to feed. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, HeyNow said:

Okay, now I just want that recipe.

13 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

We need to talk with Mrssmith, please share your meatloaf  recipe . 

I asked my wife to send them either via text or email today. So, hopefully she'll do that and I'll get them posted for you right away. The one that our niece and nephew love so much has a ton of vegetables in it: carrots, peas, broccoli, corn, onions, and I think some other ones. They don't even realize they're eating them and they'll ask for seconds if they're given the chance. LOL

• Love 6

One last thing about Janelle's messy pantry.  That pantry is a sign of someone who does not cook and wastes money replacing things that she has somewhere in that mess.  I can stop pointing out her pantry flaws now.  HA!  Being a Virgo I wanted to sort it asap!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Four of her six kids are gone. Maddie is living at Meri's, Logan had been gone for years, Hunter and Garrison are away at military academy. So that leaves two. 

Eta to say I point out the above to call BS on her claim that she has a lot of mouths to feed. 

I was going to say the same thing.  She has two kids at home, no outside employment (i e job she has to haul her butt out of bed for), so what is she so busy doing?  This is really catty, but I bet cleaning that bigass house is not high on her priority list either if the pantry is any indication.  I'm going to guess that someone else writes the "Words" on her website and the Stive Staff writes the other "Words".  I don't get it.  But, as always, if I spending more than a minute thinking about this I end up with a headache.  It ain't worth it.

• Love 8

It is amazing to me that she is just now discovering that people actually shop and cook/prepare meals at home.  It really looks as though she has discovered some new crazy trend.   Leaves me just shaking my head.

The lunch Instagram post sure did look like a fried piece of chicken under that lettuce..... 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

It is amazing to me that she is just now discovering that people actually shop and cook/prepare meals at home.  It really looks as though she has discovered some new crazy trend.   Leaves me just shaking my head.

The lunch Instagram post sure did look like a fried piece of chicken under that lettuce..... 

Yes, that is something fried under the tomato sauce.  Learn to poach things!!  My husband is a master of the grill.  He can grill chicken to perfection....me?  I've never been able to grill like him.  However, I poach :D  Low temp poaching is the key to tender chicken.  Never never boil and keep the water (or stock) just below the shimmer simmer.  Its done quickly and is tender and juicy with zero fat.  Either make a sauce and just toss chopped chicken into it to warm through or toss the chicken in a salad.  No frying needed!

ETA...At least its a REAL plate!!  WooHoo!!!

Edited by Roslyn
  • Love 2