Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

On 6/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, Kohola3 said:

I is heartbreaking to hear about those having such a hard time through this. I am really missing my volunteer activities but I am not feeling too isolated since I have neighbor that is a close friend and I do Zoom meetings and online classes a lot. I have not entered an enclosed building since March until yesterday when I ventured out to give blood. I have my groceries dumped in my trunk.  As a retired nurse, masks don't bother me in the least so that's a blessing.

It is extremely distressing to see my resort town overrun with people not doing one single sensible thing.  At this point it's just safer for my sanity to only go our in the early mornings so I don't get all upset when I see what's happening.  Our governor's tough stance brought us from the third highest number of cases down to tenth (which makes some sense since we are the tenth in terms of population) and she's watching things carefully.  She has been under attack from the beginning ("That woman from MIchigan") but has our best interests at heart and has remained steadfast which I appreciate.  She won't hesitate to shut down again if the rise in cases (45% of new cases two days ago were traced to one bar crowded with young people) so I'm getting prepared.

I watch one news program every couple of days and it's only the PBS NewsHour. And if it gets too depressing, I turn it off.  It's the only way to keep from going nuts.

True.  I'm not against people going out, but I am against people going out without a mask.  Sadly where restrictions have been lifted we are seeing spikes.  Which I believe would not be as bad if everyone wore a mask.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Eventually this will go away.

Will it?  Because quite a few people have become ill a second time (after testing negative twice after recovering from their first bout) they don't know what immunities we will develop, if any.  How can they come up with a vaccine for Covid when they can't for colds and viruses?  Since they are constantly mutating, I don't understand this at all.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Since they are constantly mutating, I don't understand this at all.

Actually there is some optimism among those working on a vaccine because Covid seems to be mutating very slowly according to Johns Hopkins which is something of a good sign.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6

Where I live, I'd say 95-98% of people are wearing masks in the grocery store. Plus social distancing, plastic barrier in front of the cashiers, etc.  I actually feel pretty safe going grocery shopping as long as I wear a mask.

Ok, I saw this graphic today and thought it provided an interesting visual representation of how much comes out of our noses and mouths when we talk, cough, sing, and sneeze - compared to how much when wearing a mask.  A doctor made this graphic and put it on his twitter (which I can no longer find - I saved the graphic).  

I can't get it to paste into my post here- but you can see it here if you click:

https://imgur.com/a/CbR91F9

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

Where I live, I'd say 95-98% of people are wearing masks in the grocery store. Plus social distancing, plastic barrier in front of the cashiers, etc.  I actually feel pretty safe going grocery shopping as long as I wear a mask.

Ok, I saw this graphic today and thought it provided an interesting visual representation of how much comes out of our noses and mouths when we talk, cough, sing, and sneeze - compared to how much when wearing a mask.  A doctor made this graphic and put it on his twitter (which I can no longer find - I saved the graphic).  

I can't get it to paste into my post here- but you can see it here if you click:

https://imgur.com/a/CbR91F9

Hdlb3UR.jpg

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Since they are constantly mutating, I don't understand this at all.

The regular flu virus keeps mutating, so the vaccine is altered every year to cover more of the mutations; presumably the Covid vaccine would have to do the same thing.

• Love 2
On 6/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, Kohola3 said:

It is extremely distressing to see my resort town overrun with people not doing one single sensible thing.  At this point it's just safer for my sanity to only go our in the early mornings so I don't get all upset when I see what's happening.  Our governor's tough stance brought us from the third highest number of cases down to tenth (which makes some sense since we are the tenth in terms of population) and she's watching things carefully.  She has been under attack from the beginning ("That woman from MIchigan") but has our best interests at heart and has remained steadfast which I appreciate.  She won't hesitate to shut down again if the rise in cases (45% of new cases two days ago were traced to one bar crowded with young people) so I'm getting prepared.

As someone in Michigan who is planning a vacation at a resort town in two weeks (TC - not sure if this is your town, @Kohola3), I am nervous.  On the one hand, I desperately want to get out of my town and go somewhere.  We rent a condo on the beach for one week and honestly, if all I can do is order takeout and read books and look at the water, that's totally fine with me.  A normal week up north consists of visiting wineries, hiking some trails at the dunes, and downtown shopping.  I have no idea if we will be able to do any of those things.  Part of me can't wait to go and part of me is anxious to leave my home.  So, I don't know.  I feel like I don't know anything about anything anymore, really.

Also, I am so sick and tired of people judging each other while out - and yet, I do it too.  This past weekend an entire family - two parent and three kids - were right behind me as I walked into the grocery store.  I was masked, none of them were.  They looked at me and I looked at them and we were all judging.  It just sucks to have to be dodging your fellow human beings, steering your cart down another aisle, or pulling back from each other based on whether or not you've decided to care enough to wear a piece of cloth over your face.  While I know that some people cannot wear a mask, I just feel in my bones that the non-maskers are looking at the maskers and smirking in derision, while the maskers are looking at the non-maskers in anger and fear.  And while it might not be happening all the time, I feel like it is.  I think the other jarring thing is not being able to see people smile.  All we are are eyes now, and all those eyes are darting around in fear or nonchalance, depending on your stance.  It is so freaking weird.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, DakotaJustice said:

I miss smiling at people 😞

Around here all the stores are the same - no mask, no in. 

I think the mall which just reopened is the same - haven't been there yet. 

We have those signs on every store.  And yet I would say 30% or so don't wear a mask.  So it makes me wonder - what is the point of the signs if so many people aren't doing it anyway?  And then I think of the alternative - turning people away, which is a recipe for disaster.  So the mask "requirement" is in actuality a "suggestion," and those who don't want to wear a mask anyway aren't going to do it, because they can stroll on in without one.  There is no good way to police this without store employees fearing for their safety, and yet no mask equals fearing for the safety of the employees and the customers.  There's just no easy answer to any of this.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

As someone in Michigan who is planning a vacation at a resort town in two weeks (TC - not sure if this is your town, @Kohola3), I am nervous.  On the one hand, I desperately want to get out of my town and go somewhere.  We rent a condo on the beach for one week and honestly, if all I can do is order takeout and read books and look at the water, that's totally fine with me. 

I'm from the other TC on the Sunrise Side but I do have friends that have been to TC on the west.  It's chaos up there, nobody is being compliant.  And the condo that they normally stay in (Tamarack) has absolutely no beach left due to the high water so that might be a consideration for you.  I would check before going.

With that said, it's healing to get away especially to the lake (I'm lucky, my house is on Lake Huron) and if you are good with take out and relaxing in your condo I'd say go for it.  If you are staying in then you don't need to worry about daily cleaning or anything.  I would definitely stay out of town which is exactly what I do at home especially on weekends when the tourists flood in.  People are having big whiny tantrums because the Fourth of July parade was cancelled - there are literally thousands of people standing shoulder-to-shoulder.

Also, I am so sick and tired of people judging each other while out - and yet, I do it too.

I absolutely judge because for me it's 1) an IQ test and they fail and 2) a test of morals and ethics that they also fail.  If anyone said anything to me I would say one of two things:  "People on chemotherapy have to be very careful" or "I may have Covid and I'm protecting you".  Neither are true but it might make them take a step back.  I have no guilty feelings about shaming people!

I am thankful I am not a shop owner that has to decide. I do know of one place that will not allow you in without a mask, no options.  They are doing fine.  The problem is that there is no "teeth" to those mandates.   It's not a law, you cannot call the police or anything.  So it will continue to be a political thing until there is a cure, vaccine, or we're all dead.

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm from the other TC on the Sunrise Side but I do have friends that have been to TC on the west.  It's chaos up there, nobody is being compliant.  And the condo that they normally stay in (Tamarack) has absolutely no beach left due to the high water so that might be a consideration for you.  I would check before going.

Yeah, we are right down the street from Tamarack.  I don't expect much beach, if any.  Last year when we arrived we had no beach but as the week went on, it came back slowly.  But if no one is being compliant up there then I guess I will claim any dry spot of sand I can find and bring a stack of books and some wine.  If nothing else, maybe I'll get a nice tan. 

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

There is no good way to police this without store employees fearing for their safety, and yet no mask equals fearing for the safety of the employees and the customers.  There's just no easy answer to any of this.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Asking store employees to police the unmasked puts them at potentially great risk of physical harm - at least equal to the risk of contagion we all face from unmasked carriers. We're all in a bind.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Asking store employees to police the unmasked puts them at potentially great risk of physical harm - at least equal to the risk of contagion we all face from unmasked carriers. We're all in a bind.

In Flint, MI a security guard was killed for questioning a person not wearing a mask.  What is this world coming to?  This is one time I am glad that my parents, members of the Greatest Generation, are not alive.  They would be so upset about all of this.

• Love 2

Went to the dr today for my yearly check-up. Told him about the symptoms I had and that I thought I might have inhaled a vitamin. He said it was very likely I had inflamed lungs from the vitamin in there. That would account for the coughing and temperature. He did a Covid Antibody test and it was negative. Phew! So the lesson is, be verwy careful  swallowing your vitamins! 😀

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

In Flint, MI a security guard was killed for questioning a person not wearing a mask.  What is this world coming to?  This is one time I am glad that my parents, members of the Greatest Generation, are not alive.  They would be so upset about all of this.

I know. I had the same thought about an acquaintance, a wonderful artist I knew for 8 years who died in January. He was a wonderful soul, very spiritual, his death a great loss to those who knew him and his work. As much as I miss him, I find myself thinking of him and my thoughts are that if he had to go, thank goodness that he went before all of this. He'd lived with severe health issues for many years. Perhaps there is a guardian angel that spared him from living through the pandemic.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Also, I am so sick and tired of people judging each other while out - and yet, I do it too.  This past weekend an entire family - two parent and three kids - were right behind me as I walked into the grocery store.  I was masked, none of them were.  They looked at me and I looked at them and we were all judging.  It just sucks to have to be dodging your fellow human beings, steering your cart down another aisle, or pulling back from each other based on whether or not you've decided to care enough to wear a piece of cloth over your face.  While I know that some people cannot wear a mask, I just feel in my bones that the non-maskers are looking at the maskers and smirking in derision, while the maskers are looking at the non-maskers in anger and fear.  And while it might not be happening all the time, I feel like it is.  I think the other jarring thing is not being able to see people smile.  All we are are eyes now, and all those eyes are darting around in fear or nonchalance, depending on your stance.  It is so freaking weird.

Last week when I went out I got lucky and it was deadsville in the stores but today, ugh.  My usual strategy of going out early in the week didn't apply today for some reason, maybe because we're getting close to the July 4th holiday.  I went to a Walmart about 10 miles away and the parking lot looked pretty sparse but there were too many people in the food aisles just hanging around, some chatting!  Like move along already.  I hate having to pass people in the aisles that are just doing nothing, usually standing right in front of the only thing I came to that aisle to get.  The floor has decals telling everyone to stay 6 feet apart but they're not doing that.  And I actually saw a few people unmasked, which is rare in my state because people have been good about following the mandatory mask rule.  I should have known better to go to a town that has had more cases than around here.  Now I know why.  Then I went to a supermarket closer to me, which is usually not as stressful, but somehow this time it was.  I was picking onions in the produce section when a young store clerk came over and stood right next to me, putting out more stock.  I couldn't believe it, he wasn't even 2 feet away much less 6.  WTF is it with these clueless people?  I said politely, "I'm sorry but we're supposed to be observing social distancing".  Now usually you would imagine that the clerk would say he's sorry and move away, but this guy didn't do that.  He just shrugged and kept working.  I grabbed another onion and got away from him, biting my tongue.  I don't want to be that angry old lady that complains to management about someone either but he did make me consider it.  Going shopping is too stressful anymore.  I think I might go back to Instacart again for a while.

6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I know how you feel - Although my dad knew about the virus, he didn't know much because he died early on before a lot of the increasingly crazy stuff happened.  And in one way he's better off that he didn't have to live through what has happened in the past couple of months.  What would he have done when his diner shut down altogether (It decided to close even for takeout for a while)?  How would he have gotten his groceries?  Someone would have had to bring him food and with the insanity that was NYC in those early days social services were overwhelmed.  I couldn't even get him meals on wheels, they were that overloaded with many people in a similar dire situation.  And everyone including caregivers had the virus.  Even if he was in assisted living he could have easily gotten it.  I don't know how some older people avoided it.  Some friends of mine have parents in that age bracket in the Bronx and they didn't get it even though they were in the same situation having to let in doctors and nurses.  Then again I found out that at least one other high school classmate's mother died of the virus only a couple of days after my dad.  She was the same age as my dad, and judging from what my friend wrote about her, a great lady and someone my father would have liked to have known.  I'm sure they know each other now!  I also know that what's been going on in general lately would have bothered him, as it would have bothered my mom.  If I don't even recognize this world we're currently living in, I can imagine how they would feel right now... 😞 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Last week when I went out I got lucky and it was deadsville in the stores but today, ugh.  My usual strategy of going out early in the week didn't apply today for some reason, maybe because we're getting close to the July 4th holiday.  I went to a Walmart about 10 miles away and the parking lot looked pretty sparse but there were too many people in the food aisles just hanging around, some chatting!  Like move along already.  I hate having to pass people in the aisles that are just doing nothing, usually standing right in front of the only thing I came to that aisle to get.  The floor has decals telling everyone to stay 6 feet apart but they're not doing that.  And I actually saw a few people unmasked, which is rare in my state because people have been good about following the mandatory mask rule.  I should have known better to go to a town that has had more cases than around here.  Now I know why.  Then I went to a supermarket closer to me, which is usually not as stressful, but somehow this time it was.  I was picking onions in the produce section when a young store clerk came over and stood right next to me, putting out more stock.  I couldn't believe it, he wasn't even 2 feet away much less 6.  WTF is it with these clueless people?  I said politely, "I'm sorry but we're supposed to be observing social distancing".  Now usually you would imagine that the clerk would say he's sorry and move away, but this guy didn't do that.  He just shrugged and kept working.  I grabbed another onion and got away from him, biting my tongue.  I don't want to be that angry old lady that complains to management about someone either but he did make me consider it.  Going shopping is too stressful anymore.  I think I might go bac to Instacart again for a while.

YUP! I HATE it when people don't abide by the 6 foot rule, it stresses me out big time. I've always had anxiety over people barging into my space and hoped social distancing would prompt everyone into being conscientious, but it hasn't. People aren't doing it right. 

Guys I'm so anxious over all this and all the arguing over masks/space I am at the point where I don't give a shit anymore (not about the masks, I wear mine most of the time). I don't care if anything opens back up. Movie theaters? Don't care, probably never gonna go aver again. Sports? Don't care, they can all go away, we're doing fine without them.  Events and gatherings? Don't care, we're doing fine without those, too. They can all rot in the past. Covid isn't going away anyways, so we may as well get used to it. I don't even care that my races have been cancelled (and that's a big deal for me to have stopped caring about that). I still run, but it almost doesn't mean anything anymore (almost--it still provides a *shred* of sanity). 

We humans, we don't change. We say we will, but we don't--look at us. Fighting over masks, burning down buildings, shooting one another, full of anger and rage and expressing anger in destructive ways versus articulate ones and a lack of empathy. We've had long enough to "change". 

Sorry for the somewhat depressing post. I don't want to give up on life or humanity, but it's a bad time. Io know I"m not alone in feeling like this but had to express it. 

• Love 9

I usually go into the grocery store with list in hand and book it around the aisles like a bat out of hell. Sirloin was on sale and I waited patiently for the older couple to move on once they picked what they wanted, yet they just stood there, looking at one package, then picking up another package, comparing two of the exact same steaks different sizes probably wondering if they would have leftovers. I was getting annoyed. They saw me standing my social distance away waiting and they just took their time. I must have waited 5 minutes before they left the case. I was super annoyed-normally I would have excused myself and took a quick peek and grabbed what I wanted. I am over it.  Things are just annoying me more now than they ever did.

Calgon, take me away

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I usually go into the grocery store with list in hand and book it around the aisles like a bat out of hell. Sirloin was on sale and I waited patiently for the older couple to move on once they picked what they wanted, yet they just stood there, looking at one package, then picking up another package, comparing two of the exact same steaks different sizes probably wondering if they would have leftovers. I was getting annoyed. They saw me standing my social distance away waiting and they just took their time. I must have waited 5 minutes before they left the case. I was super annoyed-normally I would have excused myself and took a quick peek and grabbed what I wanted. I am over it.  Things are just annoying me more now than they ever did.

Calgon, take me away

This is my problem.  I get so upset with selfish idiots!!  People are posting videos of snowflakes having literal TANTRUMS over being asked to put on a mask and I can't watch them.  One lady in Whole Foods pulled out every single item from her shopping cart and THREW them across the room while she was ranting and raving, while three store employees stood around her and someone standing nearby caught her on video with their camera.  I SOOOO wished I had been there... I would have told her she was acting like a two year old and that she looked so ridiculous and immature.  There comes a time when you need to GROW UP and think about people other than yourself.  How did SO MANY parents fail in teaching their children that they are not the center of the universe?  Another blonde entitled woman threw a fit in another store and threw her shopping basket.  

Anyway, I literally feel myself getting upset with people who think only of themselves and their own welfare.  We are on this planet together.... and we are all more likely to survive if we support each other and work together!

I am better off if I just don't go anywhere.

Can I borrow some of your Calgon?

• Love 6

Speaking of selfish people, it dawned on me today that here in the Northeast we made great sacrifices to prevent the spread of the virus to other areas and yet a lot of people in some of those areas squandered our efforts and did whatever they wanted anyway.  Those areas had plenty of notice and plenty of opportunity to nip the spread in the bud as it moved westward, and for a while it looked like they were on track to do that until they allowed themselves to be brainwashed into some false ideology or just deluded themselves that it wasn't as bad as everyone said it was.  So it pisses me off even more knowing that around here we cared about each other and the rest of the country but in some other parts of the country a lot of people didn't care about anyone but themselves.  And now they stand to make it bad for the rest of us! 

• Love 4

In case anyone is interested, A&E is doing an Escaping Polygamy marathon today.

"I didn't know men could be such bastards".  Thank you, Christine, for making yourself look even stupider than you are.

• Love 9
(edited)

I stopped at a small grocery store yesterday on my way home from the dr's office. Just wanted to pick up some fresh fruit and a couple items for dinner. Almost everyone was wearing a mask which made me feel good. Until I got to the deli counter. I didn't notice at first that the two clerks there didn't have masks on. I just looked at the baked chicken pieces and picked one out. The clerk grabbed it with tongs and bagged it up for me. That is when I noticed he didn't even have on gloves! I was going to get a couple more items but after that I just took the chicken and ran. I couldn't believe of all places to be maskless and gloveless, the open food counter!! I won't be shopping there for deli items ever again! Unbelievable!

The only reason I kept the chicken was because I knew I would be reheating it.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 4
(edited)
17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was picking onions in the produce section when a young store clerk came over and stood right next to me, putting out more stock.  I couldn't believe it, he wasn't even 2 feet away much less 6.  WTF is it with these clueless people?  I said politely, "I'm sorry but we're supposed to be observing social distancing".  Now usually you would imagine that the clerk would say he's sorry and move away, but this guy didn't do that.  He just shrugged and kept working. 

I understand your feelings about the stress of grocery shopping during this time, and share them. However, when it comes to store workers who are doing their jobs, I feel it's my responsibility to distance from them, and not the other way around. Although may be a bit inconvenient, I do try to give them their space, even when it means moving away from what I'm looking for and coming back to that spot later on. In my mind, these workers are heroic. Without them risking their health (and that of anyone they live with) every day to stock the shelves, produce, etc, we would not be able to buy anything. That clerk is on the clock and likely has many other areas to stock in a certain time frame, plus maybe taking over at the cashier so someone else can take a break. I wouldn't expect him or her to wait until I was finished with my shopping. Imagine if they had to wait for every customer to finish their shopping in a given area. I try my best to stay out of their way and let these people do their jobs. 

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I understand your feelings about the stress of grocery shopping during this time, and share them. However, when it comes to store workers who are doing their jobs, I feel it's my responsibility to distance from them, and not the other way around. Although may be a bit inconvenient, I do try to give them their space, even when it means moving away from what I'm looking for and coming back to that spot later on. In my mind, these workers are heroic. Without them risking their health (and that of anyone they live with) every day to stock the shelves, produce, etc, we would not be able to buy anything. That clerk is on the clock and likely has many other areas to stock in a certain time frame, plus maybe taking over at the cashier so someone else can take a break. I wouldn't expect him or her to wait until I was finished with my shopping. Imagine if they had to wait for every customer to finish their shopping in a given area. I try my best to stay out of their way and let these people do their jobs. 

I totally agree 100% except - since the workers are handling everything - especially in the Deli - I think it's even MORE imperative that they wear masks and gloves.  I highly suspect that those two workers in the deli were violating some rules by not wearing them.  

• Love 4

I’m so discouraged.  
Watching our local news daily, all the anchors, weather people, etc talk about urging people to go for walks in the park, go to  the cabin, get your boat out!  Yes, the Minneapolis suburbs are generally wealthy and lots of people have boats and cabins. 
But is it the safe thing to do?  No.  But hey, if the local news is encouraging, do it!   Ugh. 
Reading the news is the same thing.  Festival here, concert there, boating and kids’ wrestling tournaments and so much summer fun out and about since no one has to be at work. A local campground just had a big get-together to watch Garth Brooks on a movie screen.  People were like ants.  There’s a car race track 4 miles from my home, they have huge 4th of July races planned and are sold out to include standing room only. 
Then I see states with increases.  But it’s all “nothing” here.  Being urged to get out of the house and have fun just really gets me down. 
I’m sure it’s no small part that at my work, it’s still crazy busy.  No one wears masks.  We workers put on masks, but when the store is empty or we have a big shipment, they come off. 
Will this ever end? 

5 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Us store workers are numb to it by now.  Awful but true.  We have to stock our shelves, and we have no choice. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Tea, I usually do that, but I was standing at the onion bin minding my own business looking at onions when he suddenly came over and hovered right over me like he didn't even see me.  I couldn't avoid him.  If I were walking around and saw him standing there I would give him his space no questions asked, but he came up to me.  What was I supposed to do, drop everything and run away from him just because he decided to push himself in not even one foot away from me and show no signs of leaving?  He should know better than that.  When I was his age I would have known better.  He's working around people, he's not in a vacuum.  I got paid much less at his age and was expected to be more considerate to customers so I see this from that perspective too.  Would it have hurt him to say "excuse me" before he did it to at least give me time to react?  I know we've gotten desensitized to a lack of considerateness and common decency in recent years, but is that too much to ask?  Maybe I'm asking for too much.  A little common sense would have helped too.  You see someone there, you don't just bulldoze them, especially during a pandemic when safety is an issue.  They're a person, you should treat them like one.  I suppose I'm considered full of myself now because I would hope to be treated like a person and not just another video game obstacle!  I have not had any other store personnel do anything this blatantly unsafe anywhere I've gone so far.  I just think he needs to be educated.  OK, I had one cashier supervisor come over to my self checkout register to fix a glitch.  She came close to me but she needed to get at the screen so I just moved away.  No problem, it was necessary.

Also, these are atypical times.  People have to work with each other to provide sufficient social distance, and in some cases that includes store personnel.  They can't just expect every customer in the store to disappear or put up with them invading their personal space because  "they have a job to do".   I've been in stores where there were many stock clerks running around and it has been challenging to avoid them.  I expect that, I'm not being pissy.  Then again they usually don't come up behind you right in your personal air space and start putting onions in the very bin you're looking in like you're not even there either.  Perhaps he was new.  He was very young.  Again, I think he needed some education.   

Or maybe I'm just becoming more invisible with age, I've considered that!  And it doesn't help being short.  Before the pandemic I had gotten used to being routinely trampled upon by customers, especially young ones who were obviously raised with no manners.  You know, those people who act like you're not even there and almost walk right into you if not for you ducking and avoiding them!  They're usually walking way too fast and not looking where they're going.  You'd think they were 6 years old and running away from mommy!  This didn't used to happen to me when I was young.  Maybe people in general were just more considerate back then, I don't know.  But even with that, thankfully the vast majority of people around here have become very conscientious about keeping their distance in the stores, with a few clueless exceptions of course.  So it's actually gotten better for me of late, not worse.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3

What a Family That Lost 5 to the Virus Wants You to Know

The family’s 73-year-old matriarch, three of her 11 children and her sister all died of Covid-19. Her survivors are focused on finding a remedy.

Joe Fusco, 49, lost 55 pounds and spent 30 days on a ventilator. His sister, Maria Reid, 44, cannot shake the memory of the disjointed hallucinations that dogged her during the 19 or 20 days she was unconscious, or the terror of waking up convinced that her 10-year-old daughter was dead.

The Fuscos were unwilling pioneers charting an early course through all that was unknown about a virus that has killed more than 126,000 people in the United States.

They are now trailblazers of another kind, subjects of at least three scientific studies.

Doctors say patients who recover from Covid-19 frequently need to rebuild muscle strength, and some may struggle with a range of respiratory, cardiac and kidney problems or be at increased risk of blood clots and stroke. Some patients who experienced delirium while on ventilators may be at greater risk of depression.

And those placed in induced comas also may lose muscle tone in their hands, causing fingers to clamp shut.

Much about the recovery from Covid-19 is unknown, said Dr. Laurie G. Jacobs, chairwoman of the Department of Medicine at Hackensack University Medical Center, which is setting up a clinic for patients recovering from Covid-19 to better understand, track and treat their varied needs.

“There’s a desperation for answers,” Dr. Jacobs said.

Mr. Fusco said he found the seeming absence of uniform guidance for doctors treating patients recovering from Covid-19 frustrating. His doctor has ordered a battery of tests, he said, but his sister’s has not.

“You’d think there would be some sort of protocol to follow, but there’s not,” he said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/nyregion/coronavirus-fusco-family-nj.html?action=click&algo=top_conversion&block=trending_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=708301495&impression_id=340221626&index=8&pgtype=Article&region=footer&req_id=635952107&surface=most-popular

I live within 45 minutes of Lake Michigan.  It's going to be in the low 90's here for the foreseeable future.  I don't speak for all Northerners but I myself do not handle heat and humidity with the poise and grace of my southern friends...I picture them sipping their sweet tea and fanning themselves with a Country Woman magazine and saything things like "My goodness, but this heat is inconvenient!  Bless."  Me?  I love to walk outside every day (it's bascially the only consistent thing I can do right now) but not in weather where I feel like I need a shower after stepping outside for 30 seconds, and when the air is so thick it feels like I am wearing it.

So with the 4th of July coming, I fully expect to turn on the news and see our beaches packed with people trying to escape.  Which is going to be bad...and following that, I expect to see a spike in cases even though we are currently doing pretty good keeping the curve flat.  It's coming, I just know it.  I don't think we can avoid it.

• Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I'm sorry, Tea, but I have to admit that I really got offended that you presume that I don't generally give these workers their due.   That's a lot to presume.  I didn't grow up with money and have worked in low level jobs even into adulthood so I'm pretty sensitive to them.  You weren't there to see the way this young man acted, plus you don't know that town the way I do and the social background of the workers in this store.  They tend to only hire locals and any people that young live in town, which means they're definitely not poor or even lower middle class,  just perhaps more responsible for having a job in the first place than a lot of people that age who still live at home with mom and dad (and he was so young I think that's a sure bet - He seemed younger than anyone I've ever seen at the store).  This is one of those sheltered, comfortable suburban towns.  This is not NYC, not even the NY area and nothing like it.  And being so young and probably sheltered, he's not the person that will die of the virus, so the virus and safety are obviously not even on his radar.  Is that responsible behavior from ANYONE these days?  I'm more inclined to wonder what happened to the older crew that used to be in the produce section - I knew them because I go there regularly, but I haven't seen many of them since the pandemic.  I'm sure they're at home keeping safe and unfortunately unemployed.  And I also know that none of them would have done that to me, and never have.  Now the older employees I DO still see there are truly heroic for risking their health and even their lives, and are obviously working to support themselves (some are past retirement age), and I have thanked them for that, but I would not exactly put this guy in that category.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
(edited)

I live within 45 minutes of Lake Michigan.  It's going to be in the low 90's here for the foreseeable future.  I don't speak for all Northerners but I myself do not handle heat and humidity with the poise and grace of my southern friends...I picture them sipping their sweet tea and fanning themselves with a Country Woman magazine and saything things like "My goodness, but this heat is inconvenient!  Bless."  Me?  I love to walk outside every day (it's bascially the only consistent thing I can do right now) but not in weather where I feel like I need a shower after stepping outside for 30 seconds, and when the air is so thick it feels like I am wearing it.

So with the 4th of July coming, I fully expect to turn on the news and see our beaches packed with people trying to escape.  Which is going to be bad...and following that, I expect to see a spike in cases even though we are currently doing pretty good keeping the curve flat.  It's coming, I just know it.  I don't think we can avoid it.

I feel bad for people in the north when it gets hot. When I was a lifeguard, I knew some families didn’t have A/C and would rely on pools and beaches to cool off during the summer. They can’t do that now in many places, or they’re going to places with no lifeguards along rivers and lakes. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Auto incorrect
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I feel bad for people in the north when it gets hot. When I was a lifeguard, I knew some families didn’t have A/C and would rely on pools and beaches to cool off during the summer. They can’t do that now in many places, or there going to places with no lifeguards along rivers and lakes. 

I live in the Great Lakes area and the biggest factor is the humidity when combined with heat, it saps the strength right out of your body.  My home is 125 years old, triple brick but no insulation, the heating system is hot water heat, thus no ducting for central air.  We have 2 portable air conditioners that help, but the biggest saving grace are the trees that surround the house.  I don't know if it was foresight on the part of whoever planted these trees originally or lucky happenstance that they are sited to provide the maximum comfort, but I am grateful to whoever did this.

My heart goes out to road crews that seem to be located on every stretch of highway I travel.  They are exposed to the blazing sun all day compounded with the dust and impatient drivers and no shade trees to provide respite.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I live in the Great Lakes area and the biggest factor is the humidity when combined with heat, it saps the strength right out of your body.  My home is 125 years old, triple brick but no insulation, the heating system is hot water heat, thus no ducting for central air.  We have 2 portable air conditioners that help, but the biggest saving grace are the trees that surround the house.  I don't know if it was foresight on the part of whoever planted these trees originally or lucky happenstance that they are sited to provide the maximum comfort, but I am grateful to whoever did this.

My heart goes out to road crews that seem to be located on every stretch of highway I travel.  They are exposed to the blazing sun all day compounded with the dust and impatient drivers and no shade trees to provide respite.

In my experience, one can get used to working outside in the heat. I had to walk busy launch ramps in 120 degrees with body armor on and there are tricks to keep cool (ice wrapped in a towel on the neck is one).  I never really had any problems out there, but it was nice to Have an air conditioned house to come home to  

I’d imagine for road construction workers, they’re required by OSHA to take breaks fairly often (one hopes anyways). But yeah, it would be dangerous if they don’t get breaks. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm sorry, Tea, but I have to admit that I really got offended that you presume that I don't generally give these workers their due.   That's a lot to presume. 

I apologize if I seemed presumptious or judgmental. I tried to word my post so as to describe only my own behavior and feelings about the retail store workers during this time.

• Love 3

I live in a Florida beach town and the city has been begged by residents to follow in Miami's footsteps and shut our beaches this weekend.  Didn't happen because tourist $$$$ talks in this town. 

My employer (huge souvenir shop) profits big time from the crowds.  However, they have made it store policy as of today that all customers must wear masks.  We'll see how that flies because they got a lot of blow-back on Facebook ("I'll never shop there again!") when they announced it.  

• Love 1
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I live in a Florida beach town and the city has been begged by residents to follow in Miami's footsteps and shut our beaches this weekend.  Didn't happen because tourist $$$$ talks in this town. 

My employer (huge souvenir shop) profits big time from the crowds.  However, they have made it store policy as of today that all customers must wear masks.  We'll see how that flies because they got a lot of blow-back on Facebook ("I'll never shop there again!") when they announced it.  

The owner of the business where I work won’t make masks mandatory for customers.  Employees, yes. 
Knowing the people in our wealthy community, they’d revolt. (Our local Menard’s made them mandatory and the outcry, fights, and boorish behavior is at the max.)  Or they’d stop in just to get a free mask because we would then need to provide them, and that costs.  Heaven forbid we would let customers help themselves to a mask, they’d take handfuls. Plus they’re not really sanitary if people are pawing a box of masks like a box of Kleenex. 
Oy vey the traffic today.  Incredible.  
Im sitting outside right now, in Wisconsin, and it’s so humid you could chew the air.  And I have a sore throat and sniffles, hoping it’s allergies or being inside in (weak) air conditioning all day.  Blah. 
Hope you all are well!  Stay safe.  

Edited by Meowwww
More
  • Love 12

An update of the pandemic while OTR:

Greetings, my lovelys, I hope this report finds you toughing your way successfully  through summer pandemic 2020.  😷  The Brown Clowns, apparently, are taking the summer off.  Must be due to  the effect of some attempting to keeping real jobs (FT), some getting real jobs (Mariah), and some getting their money for nothing and their chicks for free (that one's for you, Kootie!)  😏

Bad pun aside, for this report you'll find us running mainly in Colorado.  We took a few days off to enjoy Steamboat Springs, one of our all time favorite places in the U.S.  Waking up to morning temps of 36 degrees at the end of June was a real treat for this Georgia girl!  Humidity, you say?  What humidity? It's PARADISE. 💖

Being away from running in the relative high stress regions of the East, SouthEast, and MidWest did wonders for us, as we hiked the easy trails, picniced at the lake, and toured neighborhoods where money is TRULY no object.  Surprisingly, people here were wearing their masks.  I'd say hospitality workers were at almost 100%, and the pedestrians were about 85%. It was busy but not overly crowded.  People were trying to social distance with varying degrees of success, as were small business and restaurants. One of the most surprising things I noted was how happy folks were just to be out in the fresh air. Even through their masks, they were enjoying their physical activity, whether hiking, biking, skateboarding, or walking.

One item of interest I've noted was how the Amish and Mnenenite folks tackle COVID when in public.  As truckers we run into the Amish and Mnenenites quite often in our travels, usually at turnpike travel plazas, truckstops, and the occasional Rutters in PA. With these groups, it looks to be about 50-50 whether they're wearing masks or not.  I'd like to ask them their opinion in general of this pandemic, but I don't want to be rude.  I guess we could perform a cultural exchange of sorts, they could give me their thoughts on COVID, and I could answer any burning question they have on our trucking lifestyle.  From what I observe, some of the men seem to really love 18-wheelers...and truckstop coffee.  😊  Oh well, someday, maybe.

Well, gotta go and do laundry.  Be good to yourselves and to each other, and I'll write up another report as events warrant.  🙂

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Bad pun aside, for this report you'll find us running mainly in Colorado.  We took a few days off to enjoy Steamboat Springs, one of our all time favorite places in the U.S. 

I'm glad you like my state!  : )

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Well, gotta go and do laundry.  Be good to yourselves and to each other, and I'll write up another report as events warrant.  🙂

Great to hear from you!  It's interesting to hear different experiences from all of my online friends. 

I feel like a new woman and 10 pounds lighter - finally got a haircut today.  It was unnerving to go into a building after all of these months but my hairdresser and her colleagues are super, over the top careful.  They even found some face masks with adhesive that sticks right to your face so you don't need to have ties or anything over your ears.  It worked great. I had to fill out a form and as soon as I was finished she took the pen an wiped it down for the next person to use.  There were only two customers for the eight stations plus the manicurist so plenty of room between us.  I felt totally comfortable.  What a relief!

• Love 13

I watched part of an interview with a physician this morning. 

The younger population Covid case numbers came up and were linked to a few reasons except what I think are the main reasons: self-control and self-determination.

The olds decided to strictly follow suggested guidelines and fine-tuned their efforts even beyond what is advised by experts. 

A generous proportion of the original wave of elderly deaths took place in facilities that were unprepared for the onslaught, where residents had to rely on caregivers and whatever standards those caregivers chose to employ.

Olds who are blessed to be able to live independently have a bigger say in who and what they will be exposed to and their efforts are finally showing up in the infection tallies. 

It is frustrating, and I feel for everyone here who experiences it, when your diligent efforts are jeopardized by people who don't give a rat's ass about their fellow citizens.

It's like watching total strangers wagering your life savings at a craps table, and losing throw after throw after throw. Gah! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I live in the Great Lakes area and the biggest factor is the humidity when combined with heat, it saps the strength right out of your body.

Yes, I admit that when it comes to humidity I am a giant wuss and cannot handle it.  I live in Michigan for a reason!  Some humidity is to be expected but days on end of 90+ degrees with increasing humidity is NOT. FOR. ME.  The one constant I have been doing this year to keep me sane is to get outside to walk every day and if I can't even do that because outside is an actual sauna, I am not an especially happy camper.  I mean I'm already a COL, but lately with lots of extra "C."

Also, our governor just re-shut down bars because people are idiots.  The comments....my goodness.  I actually know better than to read comments but I stupidly do it anyway.  I am both fascinated and repulsed by the things people say to each other from behind the safety of a keyboard.  It's like I think I am at the point where I can no longer be shocked - and then, lo and behold, I am.  It's a bad cycle that I need to break.

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Yes, I admit that when it comes to humidity I am a giant wuss and cannot handle it.  I live in Michigan for a reason!  Some humidity is to be expected but days on end of 90+ degrees with increasing humidity is NOT. FOR. ME.  The one constant I have been doing this year to keep me sane is to get outside to walk every day and if I can't even do that because outside is an actual sauna, I am not an especially happy camper.  I mean I'm already a COL, but lately with lots of extra "C."

Also, our governor just re-shut down bars because people are idiots.  The comments....my goodness.  I actually know better than to read comments but I stupidly do it anyway.  I am both fascinated and repulsed by the things people say to each other from behind the safety of a keyboard.  It's like I think I am at the point where I can no longer be shocked - and then, lo and behold, I am.  It's a bad cycle that I need to break.

People are just so gosh darned depressing any more.  I am ashamed of a lot of the American people.  I am embarrassed at how they make Americans look to people in other countries.   It can certainly be no mystery to anyone as to why the United States FAR surpasses EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD in both the number of cases and also the number of fatalities.  People act like preschoolers who don't want to be told what to do.  They are going to deliberately do the opposite out of defiance because they "can" and because they "want to".  They are selfish and entitled and the sheer numbers of these snowflakes greatly out numbers those Americans who have common sense and compassion towards their fellow human beings.  It's so sad.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I apologize if I seemed presumptious or judgmental. I tried to word my post so as to describe only my own behavior and feelings about the retail store workers during this time.

I apologize too - I think I've had a bad couple of days and going out there and feeling stressed doesn't help.  I've been going outside my comfort zone in an attempt to get some exercise, but it's hard given how hot is is outside so I'm shopping more just to get out, and in some cases not feeling comfortable with what I encounter.  It also doesn't help that I'm experiencing some symptoms scaring me that point toward diabetes - My blood sugar has been going up for years since menopause despite weight loss and exercise and now with the pandemic and not being able to get as much exercise I've been experiencing more symptoms.  I can't even skip a meal now without feeling like my blood sugar crashes and I get very tired and almost feel sick, of course making me worry that I'm getting the virus.  And I'm not really sedentary - Even at home I'm always active doing something except for about an hour in the morning and a few at night after dinner.  I had a zoom meeting with my dr. about this last month but despite my glucose test numbers being high enough for intervention he just told me to "give it 3 months" to try to lose some weight, get more exercise and limit carbs.  I told him that was a tall order given the difficult circumstances right now.  Given my current condition of likely insulin resistance, nothing works but cutting down to very little for me to lose any weight no matter what I eat, and then there's feeling sick and weak because of that.  Even if gyms were open I wouldn't go.  I stopped going years ago because I got constant colds from them even with all the sanitizing.  And right now you can't even find affordable exercise equipment online because they're all sold out, so forget that too.  I hesitate to buy anything without trying it first anyway because most exercise equipment is not sized for people my height (5'2") and is very uncomfortable. 

I begged my dr. to consider putting me on diabetic meds. but he acted hesitant despite my bringing my glucose numbers to his attention - he still wants to see where they are in 3 months.  I said, "Doc, if they've only gone up in the past several years despite everything I've done (including losing over 30 lbs. when I had my gallbladder out and going on a seriously carb reduced, no sugar added, low glycemic diet), why would they go down NOW in just about the WORST situation?"  My best friend is type 2 and told me that when her doc put her on meds. she lost weight.  Right now I am gaining weight and it's really rough because I know how hard it will be for me to lose it.  I haven't gained even 10 lbs. yet since last Fall, but if it keeps going in this direction I don't know what I'm going to do.  I am doing my best to stem the tide but I feel like it's an increasingly uphill battle with not the best results.  I am seriously considering calling him again to tell him all of this.

Anyway, sorry to go on so long - I know you are on my side and I do love you, Tea.  Many (((hugs))).

• Love 8