Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I am sad that all these articles are behind a pay wall. I am not going to pay to read...

😞  I've subscribed to the NYTimes for so long that I didn't stop to think about it that way. It's a lengthy article but here are a few highlights:

Gleaning is a hallowed agricultural tradition, traditionally defined as gathering anything left over after a harvest. In this country, it has long been the province of religious groups inspired by the ancient Jewish story of Ruth, written at a time when gleaning was still a protected right for the poor. In recent years - as new emphasis has been placed on supporting local agriculture, reducing waste and improving the nutritional quality of food in hunger relief - a fresh wave of organizations have taken to the idea.

Now, gleaning groups are at the front lines of those helping to stabilize the nation’s shaky food supply, perfectly positioned to leverage one problem - a bounty of unsellable crops - to help solve another: rampant hunger.

Ms. Baker, 27, tracks down growers willing to donate surplus food, manages a lengthening list of volunteers itching to do something safely outdoors, and drives contributions to a wholesale produce market where her organization rents a corner of a warehouse refrigerator.

At one farm, “we were picking from bushes that were loaded with berries that hadn’t been touched,” said Emily Wilson, 29, the group’s program coordinator, with a note of disbelief. “A thousand pounds of blueberries.”

With help from an online agricultural-sales platform called Forager and Covid-19 grant money from a food waste-focused nonprofit called ReFED, her organization even delivered 2,100 pounds of produce to the quarantined Indigenous community in Window Rock, Ariz., the capital of the Navajo Nation - a six-hour drive each way.

It’s been an equally intense spring at the Orlando, Fla., office of the Society of St. Andrew, a gleaning group with roots in the United Methodist Church and programs across the Southeast, Ohio and Indiana.

Accurate numbers on just how much that is are hard to come by [he said] but two studies last year - one by researchers at North Carolina State University and another by those at Santa Clara University in California - determined that about a third of all edible crops grown in the United States likely went unharvested.

In truth, gleaning gathers a very small fraction of what is surely billions of pounds of produce, most of which is simply worked back into the soil. It also yields far less than other surplus-food programs, where donations from supermarkets and distribution hubs are measured not by the garbage bag, but the tractor-trailer.

But gleaning is still important [Mr. Peterson said]. “What gleaners do really well is work within the spaces missed by more traditional food recovery and hunger programs,” he said.

They can pick a farm’s fragile greens on 24 hours’ notice, set out a free box of tomatoes still warm from the sun at a rural library, or deliver pints of delicate, just-picked raspberries to a nearby food pantry lacking a refrigerator, on the same day it gives out food.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/dining/gleaners-farm-food-waste.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Love 9

My public library gives me free access to the NYT online (3 days at a time, but that works to read things like this).  Not with Pressreader, which it uses for most publications, but with a separate NYTimes app.

Mary Kay Letourneau, the former Seattle-area schoolteacher who was at the center of a national scandal in the 1990s when she was convicted of raping her sixth-grade student whom she later married, has died, her attorney confirmed to KOMO News Tuesday night.

Letourneau lost a battle with cancer, her attorney, David Gehrke, said. Letourneau was a former Highline teacher who passed away after being ill for some time. She was 58.

After Letourneau's release from prison in 2004, Fualaau requested the court take back the no-contact order, and the two were married in 2005. They had two daughters together before Fualaau filed documents to legally separate from Letourneau in May 2017.

Fualaau filed for legal separation in early 2017, with sources telling People magazine at the time that he and Letourneau might not ultimately divorce. They were repeatedly spotted together around the Seattle area, where they have lived for years.

Two years ago, Letourneau was reportedly working as a paralegal in Tacoma while Fualaau was said to be working as a part-time DJ. ABC News reported that the two divorced in 2019.

Anne Bremner represented Letourneau for a civil case and said she would be missed.

"I've known Mary for 20 years," Bremner said. "She raised wonderful daughters and she loved her family."

https://komonews.com/news/local/mary-kay-letourneau-who-made-headlines-for-an-affair-with-her-student-dies

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Such sad news everywhere.  I just found out today that it looks like my SIL's husband has pancreatic cancer.  He is 68 years old.  And I started off this week finding out that my first love died in June (I still don't know of what) and that his daughter died in 2014.  And I know that there have been yet more famous deaths reported in the news as well, most for non-Covid reasons.  😞

I have a mammogram tomorrow at my local med. ctr.'s outpatient building.  I'm scared but it's been 2 years and I really need one.  The office person was trying to make me feel better about it by telling me that they're not making even half the usual appointments and they're taking tons of precautions.  I will wear the N95 mask and gloves for sure.  I'm most afraid of getting in the elevator.  I'd walk up but it's on the 8th floor.

Also, I took a big step today.  I finally called the realtor that my father's building doorman recommended to me.  I liked him right away and so I feel a little better about that situation now.  Not much better, but it's a step in the right direction.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Also, I took a big step today.  I finally called the realtor that my father's building doorman recommended to me.  I liked him right away and so I feel a little better about that situation now. 

That is great news! Good luck with it - and with the mammo. (I am overdue for it as well, but I do not have the fortitude to take public transit into Manhattan and back.

• Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

That is great news! Good luck with it - and with the mammo. (I am overdue for it as well, but I do not have the fortitude to take public transit into Manhattan and back.

Thank you and I hear you.  My good friend in NY is also avoiding public transit.  If not for the fact that we have had zero new cases of the virus here in CT for the past few days I might have pushed it ahead again.  My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1962 when she was only 38 - I don't think they were really all that sure of the diagnosis but gave her a partial mastectomy just to be on the safe side (something unheard of at that time.  Back then they only did full mastectomies).  I have doubt that she had cancer - as far as I know it doesn't run in my family and my DNA results say I have no genetic predisposition.  I think she had suspicious looking calcifications around the areola and because their mammogram technology was not as good then as it is now they made the decision to remove.  I've read about how they think a lot of women diagnosed back then didn't really have cancer.  I'll never know so I don't like to miss a year much less go more than two years at my age.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3

Cancer screenings are one of the things that they are telling people not to put off despite the crisis.  Luckily they can control the numbers in and out, it's not like a physician's office where you'd be mingling with sick people.  

• Love 5

I had to go to an appointment with a dermatologist a while back and they were having everyone wait in their cars and then being called in when it was time for their appointment - so no one in the waiting room. I liked that approach.

• Love 7
(edited)

So, tomorrow I go to a drive in testing center at my doctor’s office to get tested.  I haven’t been 100%, but that could be allergies.  Hubby’s coworker is home with symptoms, he got tested over a week ago with no results yet. 
I’m just curious.  As you know, I’m an essential worker.  I took the screening quiz and qualified for the test. 
I am just worried they are using the super long swab to jam down my nose into my throat.  I had that done once as a kid and swore never again. 
Symptoms:  sore throat this weekend, still not much better.  Basically I feel like I am getting a cold or sinus infection.   But last night I had a temp of 100.3 after ibuprofen. Tickling cough but not much cough.  I feel bit muzzy-headed, again it could be allergies. 
So I am hoping negative, pretty sure it will be negative, but I would just like to know.  We will see when I actually get my results in weeks lol. 

Edited by Meowwww
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Meowwww said:

So, tomorrow I go to a drive in testing center at my doctor’s office to get tested.  I haven’t been 100%, but that could be allergies.  Hubby’s coworker is home with symptoms, he got tested over a week ago with no results yet. 
I’m just curious.  As you know, I’m an essential worker.  I took the screening quiz and qualified for the test. 
I am just worried they are using the super long swab to jam down my nose into my throat.  I had that done once as a kid and swore never again. 

I had a test at Kaiser a few weeks ago.  It wasn't the one that went down the throat but I think it went to the back of my brain.  It was uncomfortable but didn't hurt - but then my right nostril was uncomfortable to breathe through the entire weekend.  (I went on a Friday morning.)  I actually had the results THE NEXT DAY!!  Negative.  But BOY was I sick!  If that wasn't Covid, I simply will have to pass on the "real stuff".

Anyway.... when you first walk through the automatic doors at Kaiser, there were two people standing there who take your temperature and grill you as to why you are there and where you are going.  You have to exit through a different part of the building.  I was the only person sitting in the waiting room.  They made me take off my mask and put on one of their's when I went back into the room.  (Not sure why.) Oh yeah... and I used the bathroom but was the only person in there, too.  I was actually worried that if I DIDN'T have Covid - I was going to catch it by simply being in that medical building!  But it's all good.  Hopefully you will be negative, too!!  I pray for everyone here every single night.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Cancer screenings are one of the things that they are telling people not to put off despite the crisis.  Luckily they can control the numbers in and out, it's not like a physician's office where you'd be mingling with sick people.  

I went and was pleasantly surprised at how safe it felt.  I decided to get there right on time instead of early like usual so I wouldn't have to wait much, but there were very few people anywhere, which was great.  Fortunately my instinct about making the appointment in the middle of the afternoon mid-week was a good one.  I was greeted by a young woman at the front door who took my temperature with one of those gun thingys.  I was the only person in the elevator and signs were posted limiting the number of people in them to two at a time.  The very large waiting room had 25% of the usual number of chairs in it and there were only two women in it other than me, all of us on opposite sides of the room.  One of them was vigorously bathing her hands in hand sanitizer.  I wasn't in the chair 2 minutes before my name was called.  I was in and out in 10 minutes.  The technician was very sweet and told me that I had the same first name and birthdate as her sister.  I told her it had to be in a different year because she didn't seem old enough to have a sister my age, LOL.  Of course I couldn't see her face because she was behind a mask and visor.  She told me to leave my mask on during the test.  Unfortunately she did have to get a little close to me to help position me on the machine but she was very quick and it was over in a flash.  I was directed out of the room on the opposite side from where I came in and there were clear arrows posted directing me back to the elevators.  Whew!  I have to admit that I was having nightmares over this for months!  On the way out, I drove by the Covid-19 drive-in testing area in a little unused parking lot at the edge of the property.  I didn't see too many people there but supposedly a lot of people are being tested on a daily basis in my state so it must have just been a down time.

Then not even 10 minutes after leaving the parking garage the realtor called me.  I'm going to have to get my father's friend to bring the apartment keys to the doorman of the building so he can give him access to the apartment.  I was kind of surprised at how much he said I could put it on the market for considering it's in pretty bad shape and needs a total renovation.  I trust that he knows the market, but I'm still not going to get my hopes too far up just yet.  He was very optimistic and comforting.  I told him that the doorman did me a great favor in recommending him to me because he loved my father and would give him the shirt of his back if he could.  He said, "Maybe this is one last gift your father can give you".  I teared up.  Thankfully I was in the supermarket parking lot by that time.  I was truly touched.  I know what realtors can be like in NY and he is for sure a pleasant surprise.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I trust that he knows the market, but I'm still not going to get my hopes too far up just yet.  He was very optimistic and comforting.

FIngers crossed for you.  Nice to have some optimism these days!

• Love 3

Different topic, but it is SO hot here. It's supposed to top 110 today and it's already 90 and I need to run at least 10k (to keep my sanity). Despite running with a shade umbrella and water backpack, I've suffered the last several days through this--and I'm acclimated. Just. So. Sick of it. 

I guess the good news is Covid hates heat. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I guess the good news is Covid hates heat. 

Except that it doesn't. I don't know why people keep saying that. India is having massive numbers of cases and it's over a hundred degrees there. Same thing with South America. Covid doesn't care about the temperature!

• Love 7

This heat is really rough for those of us not used to prolonged 90-100 degree temps.  I hate it.  I haven't walked outside in two weeks because of the heat.  I leave work, get into my air-conditioned car, make dinner while a fan blows on me and our home AC struggles to keep up, then retire to my bedroom where I sit with two fans blowing directly on me and another AC window unit doing its best.  I understand from my friends in Texas that this is bascially normal human behavior in the deep south in summer, but we northern folks are sometimes confined to our homes in winter due to ice and below-freezing temps.  We are not used to also being confined to our homes in the summer.  It goes against our nature!  At least for me, it does - I wanna play outside without needing to be doused in ice-water after 30 seconds!

Whine, whine whine............sorry.  I feel better now.  Sort of.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

This heat is really rough for those of us not used to prolonged 90-100 degree temps.  I hate it.  I haven't walked outside in two weeks because of the heat.  I leave work, get into my air-conditioned car, make dinner while a fan blows on me and our home AC struggles to keep up, then retire to my bedroom where I sit with two fans blowing directly on me and another AC window unit doing its best.  I understand from my friends in Texas that this is bascially normal human behavior in the deep south in summer, but we northern folks are sometimes confined to our homes in winter due to ice and below-freezing temps.  We are not used to also being confined to our homes in the summer.  It goes against our nature!  At least for me, it does - I wanna play outside without needing to be doused in ice-water after 30 seconds!

Whine, whine whine............sorry.  I feel better now.  Sort of.

I've lived in Texas most of my life and the older I get the harder it is to deal with the heat.  I work a 12 hour shift in a factory with no AC.  I work 5pm to 5am.  You would think it would cool off some at night but it doesn't with all the machines running, it stays in the 90's inside, I think the low outside was 81 last night.  Within 30 minutes of getting to work my clothes are soaking wet.  Thankfully we are allowed to wear shorts.  When I got home this morning my black t-shirt was covered in dry salt from my sweating.  It is going to be in the 100's Saturday and as usually we will probably have to work.   My head actually was hurting from trying to breathe through my mask, or that could just be sinus. I'm ready for the winter time.  I hear you sometimes we just need to rant/whine.  

• Love 6

My last job was on a machine, that put out a lot of heat.  I worked swing shift, and after the day crew (who had comfortable offices for the most part) went home, the air conditioning got shut off.  We were considered lowly grunts, and treated just like that.  It was a happy day when Mr. X and I got to retire (he worked at the same hellhole.)

Sometimes I'm glad to be old, especially when I think of those god-awful sweaty nights.  Extreme temperatures are harder to dill with every summer and winter.  

I had a pickup order at my go-to store today.  I didn't get a single disinfecting product that I asked for, so they are still hard to find in my area.  I am happy about the other things I got (like wine!)  Luckily I got Clorox last time I ordered it.  

• Love 6
(edited)

Got tested today.  Drove right up, didn’t have to get out of my truck. They just swabbed the insides of both nostrils, they don’t do the “jab it through your nose into your brain” anymore THANK GOD. 
Super quick.  And today I woke up feeling 100%.  

Edited by Meowwww
  • Useful 4
  • Love 11

I hate the heat and humidity. I’m in the Northeast, so it’s not as bad here as in other places in the country, but we always have days in the upper 80s or 90s with humidity. I don’t have central air (it’s not common here unless you have a newer house) so it’s just window units. When I found out I would be working from home for the summer, I started looking for a large window unit for the first floor of my small house. Trying to find one that fits my window was hard, but I finally found one and ordered it a few weeks ago. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but I received an email that it would be another 2-4 weeks. I doubt the Home Depot didn’t know until yesterday that it would be late, so I’m really annoyed that they can’t provide more timely updates. Unfortunately I can’t find the same air conditioner anywhere else. I bet they won’t deliver it until September. Next year I’m having mini split air conditioning installed.

10 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I hate the heat and humidity. I’m in the Northeast, so it’s not as bad here as in other places in the country, but we always have days in the upper 80s or 90s with humidity. I don’t have central air (it’s not common here unless you have a newer house) so it’s just window units. When I found out I would be working from home for the summer, I started looking for a large window unit for the first floor of my small house. Trying to find one that fits my window was hard, but I finally found one and ordered it a few weeks ago. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but I received an email that it would be another 2-4 weeks. I doubt the Home Depot didn’t know until yesterday that it would be late, so I’m really annoyed that they can’t provide more timely updates. Unfortunately I can’t find the same air conditioner anywhere else. I bet they won’t deliver it until September. Next year I’m having mini split air conditioning installed.

I lived in Massachusetts for a few months during the summer. It was miserable, no ac in that house either.  The window unit would freeze up.  
In our last house here in Wisconsin, we had window units and no problems.  Central ac now.  I remember that particular Mass summer as very brutal, and I’ve lived in Texas.  You have a different kind of heat there, or something.  

• Love 2
On 7/9/2020 at 4:54 AM, Yeah No said:

I was kind of surprised at how much he said I could put it on the market for considering it's in pretty bad shape and needs a total renovation.  I trust that he knows the market, but I'm still not going to get my hopes too far up just yet.  He was very optimistic and comforting.  I told him that the doorman did me a great favor in recommending him to me because he loved my father and would give him the shirt of his back if he could.  He said, "Maybe this is one last gift your father can give you".

Wow, he sounds like a gem. So happy for you! I surmised that the doorman would know of someone who could help - he, too, sounds wonderful.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Just stopping in to say I’m negative for coronavirus!!!!   

Great news Meowwww, I got tested today and should have results in a few days.  No reason to think I may have CV, but one granddaughter is really hoping for a visit next weekend and because she has a little guy just over a year old, I want to be cautious.  I will self isolate from today until the visit to be sure I don't pick up anything in the interim.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I lived in Massachusetts for a few months during the summer. It was miserable, no ac in that house either.  The window unit would freeze up.  
In our last house here in Wisconsin, we had window units and no problems.  Central ac now.  I remember that particular Mass summer as very brutal, and I’ve lived in Texas.  You have a different kind of heat there, or something.  

Very true.  I live in CT not that far from MA and I know exactly what you're talking about.  Here in CT and MA we have to have two forecasts on the news - one for the shoreline and one for inland.  Inland temps in the summer can be as much as 5 degrees hotter and more oppressive than at the shore.  Even when I lived in NY it wasn't as hot and oppressive as it is up here.  I was just telling my NYC girlfriend that we have two temps here.  In the Spring it goes straight from highs in the 50s to highs around 90 with hardly any of those wonderful "highs in the 60s or 70s" days.  We go straight from winter coats to short sleeves.  We do get a few more of those nice non-humid days in the Fall but not that many more before Winter sets in.

2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Wow, he sounds like a gem. So happy for you! I surmised that the doorman would know of someone who could help - he, too, sounds wonderful.

I know!  Thanks - I am really happy about this because he is not typical I know that.  The only issue is that he is supposed to be transitioning into some kind of management position with his company (which is based right across the street from Carnegie Hall, LOL) but he said that while he will be assisted by another realtor he would remain very involved in this particular sale.

1 hour ago, Meowwww said:

Just stopping in to say I’m negative for coronavirus!!!!   

Yayyyyy!  Because of what you do and the conditions there I worry about you most of all.

• Love 3

Well, pretty much everyone has weighed in on our personality scale.  So as to get the place cards done and everyone seated at the correct table, here is the chart for the group.  Sorry, @Sandy W, you'll be dining in a different room. The rest of us will be silently staring at our plates.

A couple of you reported out two results so that's reflected in the grid.

PS I need to get a life.

2020-07-11_8-34-53.jpg

• Love 11
(edited)
30 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, pretty much everyone has weighed in on our personality scale.  So as to get the place cards done and everyone seated at the correct table, here is the chart for the group.  Sorry, @Sandy W, you'll be dining in a different room. The rest of us will be silently staring at our plates.

PS I need to get a life.

2020-07-11_8-34-53.jpg

This is amazing Kohola.  Thank you for the time you put into this, your S(Observant) characteristics came through!

I refuse to sit alone, I'm going to grab my feather boa, croon Let Me Call You Sweetheart (off key) while dancing a single person line dance for your listening, viewing and snarking pleasure while dining.  💃

Edited by Sandy W
wrong song
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I refuse to sit alone, I'm going to grab my feather boa, croon Let Me Call You Sweetheart (off key) while dancing a single person line dance for your listening, viewing and snarking pleasure while dining.

Well, we may be introverts but we're not unfriendly and we're all snarkers in spirit so come on in.  Just don't try to talk to anybody.

• LOL 9
Just now, Kohola3 said:

Well, we may be introverts but we're not unfriendly and we're all snarkers in spirit so come on in.  Just don't try to talk to anybody.

After hearing me sing and watching me dance, you will all be laughing so hard, there will be no need for words.

• LOL 10
On 7/9/2020 at 9:25 AM, Kohola3 said:

Except that it doesn't. I don't know why people keep saying that. India is having massive numbers of cases and it's over a hundred degrees there. Same thing with South America. Covid doesn't care about the temperature!

It doesn’t hate direct sun and heat? Dr Fauci said that it is killed quickly when people are outdoors and that it’s close, extended contact that is most likely to spread the virus. But get this: 

Our idiot governor now wants us all wearing masks to exercise/work outside in 110 degree heat. There are A LOT of people who work outdoors around here—oilers, surveyors, road crews, SAR teams. Nevermind COVID, were all going to die from heatstroke. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

PS I need to get a life.

2020-07-11_8-34-53.jpg

Excellent work, Kohola!  Holy cow!  

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

It doesn’t hate direct sun and heat? Dr Fauci said that it is killed quickly when people are outdoors and that it’s close, extended contact that is most likely to spread the virus.

I've read a couple of scholarly studies and most viruses, including Covid, are killed on surfaces when exposed to heat.  Sneezing on a table in an air conditioned room will result in the virus' viability longer than if the sneeze is on a table in the sunlight.  But heat and humidity have no bearing on "host to victim" contact whatsoever.  So masks and social distancing are the only way to beat this until and if there is a vaccine. 

If you asked people "would you accept a cure for cancer with three simple actions" they would go crazy saying yes.  Well, the three simple actions for Covid are masks, social distancing, and hand washing.  So why is it that half of the population is fighting this?  I despair for humanity.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
30 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

It doesn’t hate direct sun and heat? Dr Fauci said that it is killed quickly when people are outdoors and that it’s close, extended contact that is most likely to spread the virus. But get this: 

Our idiot governor now wants us all wearing masks to exercise/work outside in 110 degree heat. There are A LOT of people who work outdoors around here—oilers, surveyors, road crews, SAR teams. Nevermind COVID, were all going to die from heatstroke. 

Your in Texas right? Can we impeach the governor for being stupid?

2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

This is amazing Kohola.  Thank you for the time you put into this, your S(Observant) characteristics came through!

I refuse to sit alone, I'm going to grab my feather boa, croon Let Me Call You Sweetheart (off key) while dancing a single person line dance for your listening, viewing and snarking pleasure while dining.  💃

An odd quirk for my type is that often we're good dancers!  💃  So, if you don't mind Sandy I'll follow your boa act with a slinky samba number.  Seeing me gyrate slowly across the floor will clear the room for sure.  🤤

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

PS I need to get a life.

Wow! So many introverts. I figured a lot of us would be because this is a great place to socialize w/o having to actually be around people, but I did think there would be more extroverts than one. 

• Love 10
(edited)

Alright, I'll play.  on the 16 personalities site, I came out as an ISFJ-T and although not a perfect description of me, it is pretty dang gone close.  On the other site mentioned here, I turned out to be an INTJ - that description was way off.  So I took it again thinking through every question and trying to be brutally honest and I came back as an even stronger INTJ!!  When I looked at the description of an ISFJ it was so spot on that I was almost moved to tears at the accuracy (I felt very understood - weird that understanding by a website that didn't even assess me as an ISFJ would be moving but I still felt comforted).  In fact, I have actually used one particular statement that was found in the description to explain who I am to others on more than one occasion (specifically close family members, i.e. my mother - who don't seem to get me).  What was that statement you might ask?  The phrase in quotes in this sentence... An adult ISFJ may drive a (later ashamed) friend or SO into a fit of temper over the ISFJ's unexplained moodiness, only afterwards to explain about a death in the family they "didn't want to burden anyone with."  I am so strongly motivated to not "burden" anyone that it is pretty near impossible for me to ask for help no matter how minor or inconsequential the assistance may be.  But by golly ask me to help you and I will drop everything and trip all over my self to do whatever I can.  This is one of the traits that I wish I could change about myself - it is surprisingly stressful and the older I get the worse it gets.  This not asking for help is so misunderstood, I'm accused of being too proud, too stubborn, too untrusting, too arrogant, and more when in fact it is quite the opposite as it's closer to feeling unworthy and fearing that I would be imposing on others.  I'm much more comfortable being out of mind than being worried about.  Someone not thinking about me is much less detrimental to them than having them stress over me and releasing all those horrible stress hormones and other chemicals into their bodies and minds.

So I think I'm going to go with the 16 personalities site as the one that assessed me accurately.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, sharkerbaby said:

So I think I'm going to go with the 16 personalities site as the one that assessed me accurately.

Interesting and insightful post. I guess those who want to could chime in as to which test was used and how accurate the result was/wasn't. (?) 

Not that it would require a chart. At ease, Kohola. 

• Love 2

As an Introverted Feelers who grew up in a family full of Extroverted Thinkers (on both sides) I always thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Especially since the few Introverted family members I had either stopped coming to family gatherings or left shortly after arriving and were labeled weird or anti-social. Taking the MB test was such a relief, now finding out that there are so many other ISFJ-t's makes me feel like one of the group instead of an outsider like normal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

So I picked up groceries at WalMart this morning and because I'm nosy observant I always watch whatever I can in the rearview. In the car behind me I saw a mom and three or four little heads bopping around in the back seat. Mom wasn't wearing a mask and her window was all the way down. Obviously she thought there was a problem because she passed her phone to the employee who was wearing a mask and standing right at her door, their mugs were maybe two feet apart. He scrolled on her phone awhile and handed it back. Then he handed his phone to her for awhile and after she handed it back he signed for her on the other device he was holding. Neither one was wearing gloves.

(I never even crack let alone roll down my window, I speak loudly and if they can't hear me I motion them to the open hatchback). 

Then... she told him to put her grocery order on the ground. On. The. Ground. I heard him question it, twice, and then saw him shrug. He did as she asked and after he walked away she scrambled out of the the car and loaded the bags into the front seat. So now the surface of the parking lot (sneeze, spit, loogies, gum) is on her shotgun seat. Are you willing to bet that she sets those bags on the kitchen counter while she puts the food away? (Benefit of the doubt there was a towel on her seat. Nah...). 

I see a lot of phone-passing when people pick up their orders and I don't know what the deal is because I've ordered every week since December and there's only been one error, one time. They send an email when your order is ready that notifies about out-of-stock items and substitutions. There's no need for conversation about the order if you read the email they send. If the employee tries to go over details with me I do a thumbs up and nicely yell "I got the email, it's all good." I mean, they're on camera so they're probably following a scripted guideline and I can't fault them for that. 

As luck would have it the same employee brought out my order. He knows I don't roll down my window so he just heads for the hatchback. I couldn't resist so I said "You're not gonna put my food on the ground, right?" and he rolled his eyes so far back in his head I thought they were gonna stay there, and he grinned. He's a cool kid. 

• Love 9

Ok, I am ISFJ which I don't really understand. I am not a person who judges others. In fact I am always saying don't judge someone you really don't know what they are thinking or going through. ( I cannot figure out why I am on this forum because I don't snark on people,but I love everyone's observations). I like to be alone after I get home from work but if I am at the dinner party y'all were talking about I would be talking with everyone, finding out your likes or dislikes trying to find something we have in common.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

OK here is where I got the results:

INFJ comes from my-personality-test.com I googled and went with that one. It is pretty spot on.

ISFJ-T came from 16 personalities. I deleted it, I should have saved it.It too was pretty spot on...

• Useful 5