Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I like to be alone after I get home from work but if I am at the dinner party y'all were talking about I would be talking with everyone, finding out your likes or dislikes trying to find something we have in common.

Oh good, you would divert from (as Kohola so astutely said) silently staring at our plates. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Ok, I am ISFJ which I don't really understand. I am not a person who judges others. In fact I am always saying don't judge someone you really don't know what they are thinking or going through. ( I cannot figure out why I am on this forum because I don't snark on people,but I love everyone's observations). I like to be alone after I get home from work but if I am at the dinner party y'all were talking about I would be talking with everyone, finding out your likes or dislikes trying to find something we have in common.

Don't worry I thought the same initially.  I also am not a snarker, you may remember a while back when I was trying understand the difference between snark and judgement as I don't see a difference?   So my need for understanding made me research and realize that the "J" for "Judging"  is misleading.  It's not really judgement in the sense we usually think of it rather it's more about how you are internally as described below:

"This fourth preference pair describes how you like to live your outer life--what are the behaviors others tend to see? Do you prefer a more structured and decided lifestyle (Judging) or a more flexible and adaptable lifestyle (Perceiving)? This preference may also be thought of as your orientation to the outer world."
Source: The Myers & Briggs Foundation

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Useful 6

Well, good news.  We now have two "E's" so they can provide the entertainment.  Sandy W and DakotaJustice, start working on an act!

The rest of us can sit back and enjoy without actually interacting.

FORUM.jpg

• LOL 7

@Kohola3.  My test results look skewed and it's my fault.  I reported myself as EIFP where it should have been ENFP-T.  I took the second letter as an "I" for Intuitive, where it should have been "N" for Intuitive.  If I delve deeply enough into the personality traits for myself, I will probably find that I don't follow instructions well.  Good thing that my vocational paths are not in maths or science.🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

Morning, my little group of social degenerates and outcasts!  Just wanted to share with you a YouTube channel, Frank James.  He does 3 to 4 minute comedic skits on how the 16 personalities hold up under different scenarios in life, such as attending weddings, dating, camping, various holiday get togethers, etc. I believe he's an INFJ, and his channel has over 300,000 subs.  He's quite good.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

@Kohola3.  Thanks for making the adjustment for me. xo  And now we are three Extroverts.

I don't think i've ever taken the test before but it doesn't surprise me that I'm an Extrovert.  I'm one of those old ladies who talks to random people at Safeway in the checkout line, at least in the olden days when we had checkout lines!

I just flashed on a scene from the classic film Dinner at Eight where Jean Harlow is explaining to her husband (Wallace Beery) the difference between and introvert and an extrovert:

Kitty : Doctor Talbot says that you're an extrovert and I'm a introvert.

Dan Packard : A what?

Kitty : An introvert, ya dummy! And that's why I gotta be quiet a good deal and have time to reflect in.

Dan Packard : Reflect in? What have you got to reflect about? I have to think and act at the same time!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Just took the test, I’m INFJ. Believe me, I didn’t need a test to know the introvert part 😂. When we went into quarantine my life barely changed!  I was already WFH except for going into the office two days a month. Now I’m full time WFH until the virus settles down, and I have to admit I do miss my old schedule. Two days a month around coworkers was just the right amount of socializing 🙂

• Love 10
On 6/30/2020 at 1:41 PM, Yeah No said:

Speaking of selfish people, it dawned on me today that here in the Northeast we made great sacrifices to prevent the spread of the virus to other areas and yet a lot of people in some of those areas squandered our efforts and did whatever they wanted anyway.  Those areas had plenty of notice and plenty of opportunity to nip the spread in the bud as it moved westward, and for a while it looked like they were on track to do that until they allowed themselves to be brainwashed into some false ideology or just deluded themselves that it wasn't as bad as everyone said it was.  So it pisses me off even more knowing that around here we cared about each other and the rest of the country but in some other parts of the country a lot of people didn't care about anyone but themselves.  And now they stand to make it bad for the rest of us! 

I had this exact same thought this week seeing the rising totals all across the south of the country, coast to coast. I have friends and family in GA and NC, and hardly anyone there was taking this seriously (since this damn thing started) whilst we were up here in the North East, and in the North West, putting our whole lives on pause to protect everybody, give them a chance to minimize the impact! And they squandered it. I wish I could collectively bitch slap every single one of them. And now it’s rising all over. Careless, selfish people.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I don't think i've ever taken the test before but it doesn't surprise me that I'm an Extrovert.  I'm one of those old ladies who talks to random people at Safeway in the checkout line, at least in the olden days when we had checkout lines!

I just flashed on a scene from the classic film Dinner at Eight where Jean Harlow is explaining to her husband (Wallace Beery) the difference between and introvert and an extrovert:

My mother and mother in-law are both like that! 😂 I’m over here cringing, whispering “why are talking to them? Let’s go? You don’t even know them!”

• Love 4

I am so frustrated, and disgusted, about being told that the current upsurge is aaaall about testing, that it's solely due to more people being tested now. 

That just cannot be true, or accurate. We are 4% of the world's population but we have 25% of the world's cases. 

Being asymptomatic is not a given. Plenty of people show symptoms and then seek treatment and are diagnosed and tallied without being tested.

They are cooking the books, because someone knows the number of symptomatic self-diagnosed cases and the number of test result cases but we're not being given a complete set of facts. 

I feel like the isolating I've been doing since March is child's play compared to the standard I need to meet now. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, suomi said:

I am so frustrated, and disgusted, about being told that the current upsurge is aaaall about testing, that it's solely due to more people being tested now. 

That just cannot be true, or accurate. We are 4% of the world's population but we have 25% of the world's cases. 

Being asymptomatic is not a given. Plenty of people show symptoms and then seek treatment and are diagnosed and tallied without being tested.

They are cooking the books, because someone knows the number of symptomatic self-diagnosed cases and the number of test result cases but we're not being given a complete set of facts. 

I feel like the isolating I've been doing since March is child's play compared to the standard I need to meet now. 

I can’t stand this argument! (Re: it’s just bc of more testing). If anything, it’s merely a fraction of actual infected. I have scores of people in my area who’ve had direct contact with people who’ve tested positive yet they can’t get in to get tested anywhere. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

I can’t stand this argument! (Re: it’s just bc of more testing)

Ranks right up there with "if you don't take a pregnancy test, you won't be pregnant".  Makes as much sense.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Ranks right up there with "if you don't take a pregnancy test, you won't be pregnant".  Makes as much sense.

YoU OnLy ThINk ThErE’s MoRe PrEgNaNt PeOpLe NoW bEcAuSe Of BeTtEr PeE TeStS!!!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, dreadfulLeigh said:

I had this exact same thought this week seeing the rising totals all across the south of the country, coast to coast. I have friends and family in GA and NC, and hardly anyone there was taking this seriously (since this damn thing started) whilst we were up here in the North East, and in the North West, putting our whole lives on pause to protect everybody, give them a chance to minimize the impact! And they squandered it. I wish I could collectively bitch slap every single one of them. And now it’s rising all over. Careless, selfish people.

Well, I am sw of Hotlanta with a second home in Florida, and as soon as GA and FL 'opened' there was a sudden rush of cars from the midwest ---I am looking mostly at Michigan--- and NY.   I don't recall ever seeing as many out of state plates before.   We still won't dine inside a restaurant, are continuing to attend Mass online, are wearing masks inside stores,  and are still trying to avoid as many people as possible.

20 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

All of the E's are on the bottom of the sheet so that they can more easily socially distance themselves from the I's and have a good old chat.

If they are quietly chatting, I can go talk with them.  Otherwise,  I have books to read and movies to watch or maybe a sock drawer to organize.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, suomi said:

Would you please tell me where you got the statistics? I believe you but I would like to be able to quote the source.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:23 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

Your in Texas right? Can we impeach the governor for being stupid?

New Mexico.

It's 111 today and I ran 6 miles, no mask, no other human observed on my route and no one arrested me (I do wear mask inside buildings and freak out when anyone comes near me).

• Love 4
On 7/12/2020 at 9:41 PM, Kohola3 said:

Well, we now have enough "E's" to populate a four top.  Just use your inside voices so the rest of us can hear our quiet, solitary thoughts.

FORUM.jpg

@Kohola3, this is amazing, thanks so much for doing this - this is something l might have done myself, LOL.  I almost wish you could send me the spreadsheet!

I just want to say how tickled I am that so many of you are interested in personality type.  Having studied the theory and the original MBTI plus observing people for over 2 decades from the POV of type and chatting extensively with others who are similarly interested, I have drawn some conclusions that I'll share here.

First of all, one of the universal things anyone who's into the MBTI and has spent any significant time observing people of different types notices is that anyone who has more than a passing interest in this subject extremely likely to be an intuitive (N) type and not a sensor (S) type.  Sensors usually don't have much of a fascination for this subject.  It interests them for about 15 minutes but as soon as it gets into the realm of the possible and theoretical, their eyes glaze over and they don't take it much more seriously than a horoscope.  This happens every single time without fail.

ISFJ's are also not much for entertaining or sharing abstract opinions and ideas like those relating to personality tests.  They prefer to discuss here and now things like gardening, recipes, sewing, crafts, genealogy, history, etc., etc.  They do like to talk about people and how they are the same or different from others, but a discussion about their identity as it relates to a personality test will not interest them past about 10 minutes or so.  Also, SJ types (Sensing with Judging) rarely feel "different" or like they don't fit in. How can they, when they predominate everywhere?  It's pretty much exclusively the domain of IN types (especially the INF types, but INT types can feel that too) to feel that way.  Again, I've seen it over and over again with amazing consistency.

Now I know that a fair number of you have scored as Sensors (most commonly ISFJs) but knowing a pretty significant number of ISFJs in my time working as an executive assistant (EA's are heavily ISFJ), I would beg to disagree with at least some of your results on that scale given what I know about you and how well I relate to you.  I won't mention who, because that's for you to figure out.

I can't stress enough how these online knock-offs of the real Myers Briggs test are unreliable.  They haven't been tested or approved by anyone so they really have to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Also, even the MBTI isn't that accurate because it's not a hard science by a long stretch plus it's based on a theory which is certainly not based in fact.  I happen to believe that the personality theory has validity even if it isn't based on hard science just because people of certain types certainly do resemble each other in some uncanny ways.  But the subjective nature of this subject makes it all the harder to nail down a person's true type.  The makers of the real test emphasize that it should be taken under the supervision of a type expert who can help each person evaluate their results.  Type experts can spot incorrect results and direct test takers to the relevant information that may help them understand why they might consider that they're a different type.  Of course, in the end it's for the test taker to decide.

Unfortunately, though, because most test takers aren't intimately aware of what each of the scales mean, they can latch onto an incorrect type.  I've known obvious introverts insist that they are not introverts.  Then I find out why they are so loathe to see themselves as one - because they equate being introverted with being antisocial.  But that's not what being introverted means.  Also, generalizing from a few things you tend to do to your general type is often incorrect.  I knew a man who insisted he was an extrovert because he liked people and liked chatting with people at the supermarket checkout.  Umm....Introversion doesn't mean you don't like people and you don't like chatting.  In fact, being a "people person" has more to do with being a feeling type (as opposed to a thinking type).  Plus introverts can get very chatty at times.  I can spend hours on the phone with my girlfriends.  So you have to look at what you do in general, not generalize from the specific to the general.

As far as introversion and extroversion go, I subscribe to the idea that this is more about where you get your energy from.  Introverts get their energy from being alone with their own thoughts.  Extroverts become energized by being active in the external world, which can mean people if they're so inclined.  It's about where you go to recharge your batteries.

Also, people tend to get hung up on what it means to have each preference.  For example, they don't realize that we all sense and use intuition.  Being an intuitive doesn't mean you don't ever live in the here and now.  Being a sensor doesn't mean you never use your intuition.  Being one over the other is purely a matter of preference.  The test is structured as a forced choice between two polar opposites to uncover preference, but it doesn't say anything about the STRENGTH of that preference.  I have known sensors with very well developed intuition and intuitives with very well developed sensing.  But the test doesn't say anything about that.  So people who are well developed on both ends of the spectrum can get confused about which one is their preference, and understandably so.  The newer versions of the MBTI have tried to develop questions which point toward strength of preference with varying degrees of success.

Speaking of strength of preference, there are theories about the consistency of type over one's lifetime.  Jung and Myers-Briggs believed that one's type was written in stone - that what you were at birth is what you are at death.  Today there are more people that disagree with that.  I tend to agree with Jung, etc. that it is static, but I also agree with them that as we age we tend to grow in strength in our inferior preferences.  I noticed that when I took one of those knock-off tests I found myself responding more as a sensor than I used to.  I still came out an INFJ but it looks like I have developed more of my sensing as I've aged.  It doesn't mean I'm less intuitive than before, just more well rounded.

So perhaps some of you that tested as sensors really ARE sensors, but you've developed more intuition as you've aged.  Or perhaps you're intuitives that are now answering more of the questions as a sensor would.  The answer to which one you really are is something you may have to ponder to figure out by reading and studying on the intuitive/sensing scale.  One thing I will tell you, though, is that if this question is of more than a passing interest to you, you are likely an intuitive.  

Also, if you have more than a passing interest in what type each of your board family is and are fascinated by our similarities and differences, you are also likely an intuitive.

• Useful 11
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

@Kohola3, this is amazing, thanks so much for doing this - this is something l might have done myself, LOL.  I almost wish you could send me the spreadsheet!

I just want to say how tickled I am that so many of you are interested in personality type.  Having studied the theory and the original MBTI plus observing people for over 2 decades from the POV of type and chatting extensively with others who are similarly interested, I have drawn some conclusions that I'll share here.

First of all, one of the universal things anyone who's into the MBTI and has spent any significant time observing people of different types notices is that anyone who has more than a passing interest in this subject extremely likely to be an intuitive (N) type and not a sensor (S) type.  Sensors usually don't have much of a fascination for this subject.  It interests them for about 15 minutes but as soon as it gets into the realm of the possible and theoretical, their eyes glaze over and they don't take it much more seriously than a horoscope.  This happens every single time without fail.

ISFJ's are also not much for entertaining or sharing abstract opinions and ideas like those relating to personality tests.  They prefer to discuss here and now things like gardening, recipes, sewing, crafts, genealogy, history, etc., etc.  They do like to talk about people and how they are the same or different from others, but a discussion about their identity as it relates to a personality test will not interest them past about 10 minutes or so.  Also, SJ types (Sensing with Judging) rarely feel "different" or like they don't fit in. How can they, when they predominate everywhere?  It's pretty much exclusively the domain of IN types (especially the INF types, but INT types can feel that too) to feel that way.  Again, I've seen it over and over again with amazing consistency.

Now I know that a fair number of you have scored as Sensors (most commonly ISFJs) but knowing a pretty significant number of ISFJs in my time working as an executive assistant (EA's are heavily ISFJ), I would beg to disagree with at least some of your results on that scale given what I know about you and how well I relate to you.  I won't mention who, because that's for you to figure out.

I can't stress enough how these online knock-offs of the real Myers Briggs test are unreliable.  They haven't been tested or approved by anyone so they really have to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Also, even the MBTI isn't that accurate because it's not a hard science by a long stretch plus it's based on a theory which is certainly not based in fact.  I happen to believe that the personality theory has validity even if it isn't based on hard science just because people of certain types certainly do resemble each other in some uncanny ways.  But the subjective nature of this subject makes it all the harder to nail down a person's true type.  The makers of the real test emphasize that it should be taken under the supervision of a type expert who can help each person evaluate their results.  Type experts can spot incorrect results and direct test takers to the relevant information that may help them understand why they might consider that they're a different type.  Of course, in the end it's for the test taker to decide.

Unfortunately, though, because most test takers aren't intimately aware of what each of the scales mean, they can latch onto an incorrect type.  I've known obvious introverts insist that they are not introverts.  Then I find out why they are so loathe to see themselves as one - because they equate being introverted with being antisocial.  But that's not what being introverted means.  Also, generalizing from a few things you tend to do to your general type is often incorrect.  I knew a man who insisted he was an extrovert because he liked people and liked chatting with people at the supermarket checkout.  Umm....Introversion doesn't mean you don't like people and you don't like chatting.  In fact, being a "people person" has more to do with being a feeling type (as opposed to a thinking type).  Plus introverts can get very chatty at times.  I can spend hours on the phone with my girlfriends.  So you have to look at what you do in general, not generalize from the specific to the general.

As far as introversion and extroversion go, I subscribe to the idea that this is more about where you get your energy from.  Introverts get their energy from being alone with their own thoughts.  Extroverts become energized by being active in the external world, which can mean people if they're so inclined.  It's about where you go to recharge your batteries.

Also, people tend to get hung up on what it means to have each preference.  For example, they don't realize that we all sense and use intuition.  Being an intuitive doesn't mean you don't ever live in the here and now.  Being a sensor doesn't mean you never use your intuition.  Being one over the other is purely a matter of preference.  The test is structured as a forced choice between two polar opposites to uncover preference, but it doesn't say anything about the STRENGTH of that preference.  I have known sensors with very well developed intuition and intuitives with very well developed sensing.  But the test doesn't say anything about that.  So people who are well developed on both ends of the spectrum can get confused about which one is their preference, and understandably so.  The newer versions of the MBTI have tried to develop questions which point toward strength of preference with varying degrees of success.

Speaking of strength of preference, there are theories about the consistency of type over one's lifetime.  Jung and Myers-Briggs believed that one's type was written in stone - that what you were at birth is what you are at death.  Today there are more people that disagree with that.  I tend to agree with Jung, etc. that it is static, but I also agree with them that as we age we tend to grow in strength in our inferior preferences.  I noticed that when I took one of those knock-off tests I found myself responding more as a sensor than I used to.  I still came out an INFJ but it looks like I have developed more of my sensing as I've aged.  It doesn't mean I'm less intuitive than before, just more well rounded.

So perhaps some of you that tested as sensors really ARE sensors, but you've developed more intuition as you've aged.  Or perhaps you're intuitives that are now answering more of the questions as a sensor would.  The answer to which one you really are is something you may have to ponder to figure out by reading and studying on the intuitive/sensing scale.  One thing I will tell you, though, is that if this question is of more than a passing interest to you, you are likely an intuitive.  

Also, if you have more than a passing interest in what type each of your board family is and are fascinated by our similarities and differences, you are also likely an intuitive.

How does one take the "official" personality test? I can't find anything that doesn't cost something. And does it matter if one is on the spectrum? A lot of my personality quirks are explained neurologically. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I first took the Myer-Briggs test during Frosh week in 1972 as part of career advising and remember the questions being very leading.  Do you like to help people or control people? Are you logical or airy fairy? etc.  If you answered one way, you knew you'd be recommended for the nursing program.  I was told I'd make a good engineer or army general (INTJ).  I took it again in ~1985 to learn how to teach & advise engineering students who are not INTJ (70% of engineers) or the other 30% (INTP, INTJ, ISTP).  I've always found personalities very interesting. My brother and I are both INTJs but our sisters are not, and many of their decisions baffle us as they seem completely irrational to us but they do not understand our concerns.

Yeah No, your comments on sensing are interesting because that was the main difference I noticed with the 16Personalities test (the first time I tested as ISTJ, after being INTJ on official tests). I did find that there were ~6-10 questions where I was not sure how to answer because it would depend on the situation and I would immediately answer one way for one situation but the opposite for a different situation.  Maybe I'll try it with a couple of my end-member personalities and see how different they are and where I fall (it does try to show where you fall across the scale).

I've also taken free versions of (Borat's dad) Baron-Cohen's autism spectrum tests and always fall right on the border of "normal" vs autistic, or a couple of points into the high-functioning autistic scale.  I too wonder what effect that may have.  Most autistics are considered to be introverts and both are considered to be "abnormal" by the social scientists who make up the tests, yet many of the inventions in the modern world were created by autistic or introverted people.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

... that was the main difference I noticed with the 16Personalities test (the first time I tested as ISTJ, after being INTJ on official tests). I did find that there were ~6-10 questions where I was not sure how to answer because it would depend on the situation and I would immediately answer one way for one situation but the opposite for a different situation. 

For Deirdra and Yeah No: If the descriptions of your type fit you quite well (no matter which test you use) is that enough of a reliable indicator that the test measured you accurately? 

I tried a free version of the Baron-Cohen Autism Quotient test and landed three points into the scale. Hmmm. Then immediately began wondering which of the questions I wavered about came into play, and to what degree.  

45 minutes ago, CocoPuffs said:

Truely - Logician (INTP) personality Logician INTP-A / INTP-T Innovative inventors with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.

I guess that's why I like Truely so much if we are the same type.   I still dislike the spelling of her name.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CocoPuffs said:

Yeah I guess I have WAY too much time on my hands, but I absolutely love exploring personality type. Here are my best guesses. Some of these you might read and think I’m smoking something, but keep in mind that these little two-sentence summaries only speak to the positive side of the personality. 

Kody - Entrepreneur (ESTP) personality Entrepreneur ESTP-A / ESTP-T Smart, energetic and very perceptive people, who truly enjoy living on the edge. Keep in mind that this description summarizes the most positive traits of this personality type, lol

Meri - Commander (ENTJ) personality Commander ENTJ-A / ENTJ-T Bold, imaginative and strong-willed leaders, always finding a way – or making one.

Janelle - Adventurer (ISFP) personality Adventurer ISFP-A / ISFP-T Flexible and charming artists, always ready to explore and experience something new.

Mykelti - Campaigner (ENFP) personality Campaigner ENFP-A / ENFP-T Enthusiastic, creative and sociable free spirits, who can always find a reason to smile.

Robyn - Defender (ISFJ) personality Defender ISFJ-A / ISFJ-T Very dedicated and warm protectors, always ready to defend their loved ones.

Christine - Entertainer (ESFP) personality Entertainer ESFP-A / ESFP-T Spontaneous, energetic and enthusiastic people – life is never boring around them.

Aspyn - Mediator (INFP) personality Mediator INFP-A / INFP-T Poetic, kind and altruistic people, always eager to help a good cause.

Mariah - Debater (ENTP) personality Debater ENTP-A / ENTP-T Smart and curious thinkers who cannot resist an intellectual challenge. Remember, this summary speaks to the best traits, lol

Maddie - Defender (ISFJ) personality Defender ISFJ-A / ISFJ-T Very dedicated and warm protectors, always ready to defend their loved ones. - I dunno. Seems more extroverted but this may be close 

Gwyn - Entertainer (ESFP) personality Entertainer ESFP-A / ESFP-T Spontaneous, energetic and enthusiastic people – life is never boring around them.

Ysabel - Consul (ESFJ) personality Consul ESFJ-A / ESFJ-T Extraordinarily caring, social and popular people, always eager to help.

Savannah - Advocate (INFJ) personality Advocate INFJ-A / INFJ-T Quiet and mystical, yet very inspiring and tireless idealists.

Brianna - Adventurer (ISFP) personality Adventurer ISFP-A / ISFP-T Flexible and charming artists, always ready to explore and experience something new. No idea really

Aurora - Entrepreneur (ESTP) personality Entrepreneur ESTP-A / ESTP-T Smart, energetic and very perceptive people, who truly enjoy living on the edge. My best guess 

Truely - Logician (INTP) personality Logician INTP-A / INTP-T Innovative inventors with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge.

Logan - Logistician (ISTJ) personality Logistician ISTJ-A / ISTJ-T Practical and fact-minded individuals, whose reliability cannot be doubted.

Hunter - Consul (ESFJ) personality Consul ESFJ-A / ESFJ-T Extraordinarily caring, social and popular people, always eager to help.

Paedon - Architect (INTJ) personality Architect INTJ-A / INTJ-T Imaginative and strategic thinkers, with a plan for everything.

Garrison - Architect (INTJ) personality Architect INTJ-A / INTJ-T Imaginative and strategic thinkers, with a plan for everything. Meh? He may be more extroverted 

Gabe - Protagonist (ENFJ) personality Protagonist ENFJ-A / ENFJ-T Charismatic and inspiring leaders, able to mesmerize their listeners. My best guess

Dayton -  Virtuoso (ISTP) personality Virtuoso ISTP-A / ISTP-T Bold and practical experimenters, masters of all kinds of tools.

Very well done, Coco.  You've obviously put a lot of work and thought into it.  I'm  working on mine and will post it soon.  Thanks for playing!  🤗

• Love 5

I took the Baron-Cohen test and got a score of 34! I have always had a very vivid imagination and I'm not observant enough to pick up small details. On the other hand, I can (and do) totally ignore anything outside my current bubble unless someone is directly interacting with me. Some of that may be learned behavior, though. Besides being an introvert and extremely shy I also have had substantial hearing loss at least since high school and didn't get hearing aids until I was 50. My granddaughter lost them last summer and I don't have an extra $4,500 laying around to get a new pair. Not to mention I haven't finished paying for the lost pair, yet. 

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I took the Baron-Cohen test and got a score of 34! I have always had a very vivid imagination and I'm not observant enough to pick up small details. On the other hand, I can (and do) totally ignore anything outside my current bubble unless someone is directly interacting with me. Some of that may be learned behavior, though. Besides being an introvert and extremely shy I also have had substantial hearing loss at least since high school and didn't get hearing aids until I was 50. My granddaughter lost them last summer and I don't have an extra $4,500 laying around to get a new pair. Not to mention I haven't finished paying for the lost pair, yet. 

Nysha, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your hearing aids.  I have been wearing hearing aids for about 25 years now and know how dependent we become on them.  I have been surprised that even with top quality h/a how much I still rely on facial expressions and lip reading to a certain extent to verify what I think I have heard.  Now with the wearing of face masks by nearly everyone, even that added benefit is gone.  I sure you have investigated, but in case you haven't thought of it, would your homeowner's insurance possibly cover the loss?

• Love 4

@Sandy W, I have renter's insurance and they won't replace them since it wasn't a disaster or theft. I suppose I could have made a police complaint but my granddaughter was only 5 and too cute to languish in jail. 😁

Masks and social distancing definitely exacerbate hearing loss frustration. I've never been good at interpreting facial expressions because I'm always looking at people's lips. By the time I figure out what they've said their initial expression has disappeared.   

• Love 1
13 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

How does one take the "official" personality test? I can't find anything that doesn't cost something. And does it matter if one is on the spectrum? A lot of my personality quirks are explained neurologically. 

There are 2 ways to take the test. 

The easiest and cheapest way is to do it online for $49.99.  Here is the link to that page:

https://www.mbtionline.com/

This is the cheapest way to take the official test online without the evaluation of an approved administrator.  I think I remember that they give you some self-guidance in written form after you get your results to help you understand and interpret them, plus additional ways to learn more about your results if you fork over more cash.

The other way to do it online is to do it through the CAPT (The Center for Applications of Psychological Type).  They will let you take the same online test as above but also give you a full hour of actual evaluation of your results from a certified practitioner in administering the test.  It is kind of pricey though at $175.00

Here is the link to that page:

https://www.capt.org/take-mbti-assessment/mbti.htm

The only other way to take the official test is to do it under the supervision of an approved administrator like a life coach or therapist, or if you're in school, a guidance or career counselor.  Administrators have to be certified by the company that owns the test.  I never sought certification but I probably should have.  The first time I took the test was in grad. school when my professor in Counseling Psych. gave it to the whole class.  Another way to take it is if you work for a company that holds workshops that utilize the test.  My father took the test that way and came out an ESFJ.  Yep, that was my Dad.  My mother was an ENTJ.  You can already tell that this was a very interesting role-reversal relationship, LOL.  The ENTJ is often called "The Field Marshall", LOL.  My Dad had the quintessential personality type of a people-pleasing housewife.  Yeah, they had a very special relationship!  And lest it be lost on anyone, I was an introvert growing up with 2 extroverts in an 800 square foot apartment.  Let's just say I spent a lot of time alone in my room with the door closed!  On the other hand, my parents were a constant source of entertainment for me (God rest their souls).

As far as being on the spectrum goes, that depends on who you talk to.  A lot of type enthusiasts, including those on the spectrum, think that learning about their type is very beneficial to them.  It does look like most people on the spectrum score as introverts and a lot are either INTJ or ISTJ so there may be some overlap between type and those factors.  Do you score as an INxx type because you're on the spectrum or is it just that a lot of people that are introverts tend to be on the spectrum?  No one really knows.  Given that a lot of people on the spectrum do find the test helpful to them I don't think taking it can hurt.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, CocoPuffs said:

Yeah I guess I have WAY too much time on my hands, but I absolutely love exploring personality type. Here are my best guesses. Some of these you might read and think I’m smoking something, but keep in mind that these little two-sentence summaries only speak to the positive side of the personality. 

Kody - Entrepreneur (ESTP) personality Entrepreneur ESTP-A / ESTP-T Smart, energetic and very perceptive people, who truly enjoy living on the edge. Keep in mind that this description summarizes the most positive traits of this personality type, lol

Meri - Commander (ENTJ) personality Commander ENTJ-A / ENTJ-T Bold, imaginative and strong-willed leaders, always finding a way – or making one.

Janelle - Adventurer (ISFP) personality Adventurer ISFP-A / ISFP-T Flexible and charming artists, always ready to explore and experience something new.

Mykelti - Campaigner (ENFP) personality Campaigner ENFP-A / ENFP-T Enthusiastic, creative and sociable free spirits, who can always find a reason to smile.

Robyn - Defender (ISFJ) personality Defender ISFJ-A / ISFJ-T Very dedicated and warm protectors, always ready to defend their loved ones.

Christine - Entertainer (ESFP) personality Entertainer ESFP-A / ESFP-T Spontaneous, energetic and enthusiastic people – life is never boring around them.

Aspyn - Mediator (INFP) personality Mediator INFP-A / INFP-T Poetic, kind and altruistic people, always eager to help a good cause.

Mariah - Debater (ENTP) personality Debater ENTP-A / ENTP-T Smart and curious thinkers who cannot resist an intellectual challenge. Remember, this summary speaks to the best traits, lol

Maddie - Defender (ISFJ) personality Defender ISFJ-A / ISFJ-T Very dedicated and warm protectors, always ready to defend their loved ones. - I dunno. Seems more extroverted but this may be close 

Gwyn - Entertainer (ESFP) personality Entertainer ESFP-A / ESFP-T Spontaneous, energetic and enthusiastic people – life is never boring around them.

Ysabel - Consul (ESFJ) personality Consul ESFJ-A / ESFJ-T Extraordinarily caring, social and popular people, always eager to help.

Savannah - Advocate (INFJ) personality Advocate INFJ-A / INFJ-T Quiet and mystical, yet very inspiring and tireless idealists.

Brianna - Adventurer (ISFP) personality Adventurer ISFP-A / ISFP-T Flexible and charming artists, always ready to explore and experience something new. No idea really

Aurora - Entrepreneur (ESTP) personality Entrepreneur ESTP-A / ESTP-T Smart, energetic and very perceptive people, who truly enjoy living on the edge. My best guess 

Logan - Logistician (ISTJ) personality Logistician ISTJ-A / ISTJ-T Practical and fact-minded individuals, whose reliability cannot be doubted.

Hunter - Consul (ESFJ) personality Consul ESFJ-A / ESFJ-T Extraordinarily caring, social and popular people, always eager to help.

Paedon - Architect (INTJ) personality Architect INTJ-A / INTJ-T Imaginative and strategic thinkers, with a plan for everything.

Garrison - Architect (INTJ) personality Architect INTJ-A / INTJ-T Imaginative and strategic thinkers, with a plan for everything. Meh? He may be more extroverted 

Gabe - Protagonist (ENFJ) personality Protagonist ENFJ-A / ENFJ-T Charismatic and inspiring leaders, able to mesmerize their listeners. My best guess

Dayton -  Virtuoso (ISTP) personality Virtuoso ISTP-A / ISTP-T Bold and practical experimenters, masters of all kinds of tools.

CocoPuffs, you're amazing!  I would actually agree with you on pretty much most of them that I know anything about, LOL.  I am not sure about Mariah, though.  She may be a little too dominant and "in charge" to be an ENTP.  Having grown up with an ENTJ mom, I think Mariah may be one too.  Plus it would mean she is a lot like her mother and that's one reason why they butt heads.  Also, I have always seen Janelle as the quintessential ISTJ.  If you've read any of Keirsey about the temperaments, Janelle seems to me like a Guardian temperament through-and-through.  She is so much like all the cube women I knew when I worked as an EA in a finance dept., it's not funny.  I don't see her as adventuresome or feeling either.  She seems pretty conventional, routinized and out of touch with her feeling side, which is not uncommon for dysfunctional ISTJs.  The only thing I agree on is that she is an introvert.  When I think of an ISFP I think of Princess Diana or an artist.  And Janelle couldn't be further from either in my opinion.

But pretty much those are my only disagreements.  I am not sure what I think about some of the kids as I don't know some of them well enough.  I agree with you on many of them, though.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, suomi said:

For Deirdra and Yeah No: If the descriptions of your type fit you quite well (no matter which test you use) is that enough of a reliable indicator that the test measured you accurately? 

It could be, but I would not really trust the results of a lot of these online tests.  I think many of them skew results the wrong way.  I personally think that humanmetrics test skews people toward sensing.  Plus they have so many fewer questions than the real MBTI that it can lead to a less accurate result.  Also I remember when I first took the MBTI I was on the borderline of the J/P scale (judgment vs. perception) plus I was also close on the I/E scale, although definitely an introvert.  When I read the type description of the INFP I thought it sounded just as much like me as the INFJ.  It wasn't until I learned more about type that I realized that I was definitely an INFJ.  I'm one of those people that thinks everything sounds like me, LOL.  So there is that.  I would say, though, that if you took every test online and still came out the same type, the chances are greater that this is your type than if you took just one, unless you are mistaken about yourself, which is always possible.  I thought I was more extroverted than I really am before I learned more about Type and how extroversion is more about where I draw my energy from than it is about how "interpersonal" I am.  A lot of times we develop our inferior sides to cope with life and introverts routinely "disguise" themselves as extroverts to fit in and deal with certain situations.  It doesn't mean that they have necessarily changed into extroverts.  I worked with a professor and dean at my old university who developed a charismatic extroverted "persona" in order to teach deal with students.  He was very aware, though, that at heart he was an introvert, but his students might not have thought so.  He was an INFJ, BTW.

These tests rely on a person's self-knowledge in answering the questions and sometimes either we don't know ourselves as well as we think we do or we are misinterpreting the test questions.  Or of course that could be the fault of the test questions themselves, which could be misleading and make people answer incorrectly.  There are a lot of reasons why the test may be an unreliable indicator for some people, especially the free online tests that are not affiliated with the real MBTI.  The best way is to learn about type theory and learn more about yourself on those dimensions and then interpret your test results - preferably the genuine MBTI.  The MBTI takes about a half an hour to complete - that's a lot longer than an online knock-off, so you really do get what you pay for when it comes to this, unfortunately.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 3
On 7/11/2020 at 7:54 PM, sharkerbaby said:

Don't worry I thought the same initially.  I also am not a snarker, you may remember a while back when I was trying understand the difference between snark and judgement as I don't see a difference?   So my need for understanding made me research and realize that the "J" for "Judging"  is misleading.  It's not really judgement in the sense we usually think of it rather it's more about how you are internally as described below:

"This fourth preference pair describes how you like to live your outer life--what are the behaviors others tend to see? Do you prefer a more structured and decided lifestyle (Judging) or a more flexible and adaptable lifestyle (Perceiving)? This preference may also be thought of as your orientation to the outer world."
Source: The Myers & Briggs Foundation

The P/J scale was added by Myers-Briggs to Jung's basic theory and a lot of people have found it confusing at best.  Being structured vs. Open-ended is one way to look at the J/P scale but later type theoreticians realized that J and P can also indicate whether you extrovert or introvert your feelings.  Extroverted feelers are the people that seem more judgmental because they have no problem being direct about their feelings.  People that have FJ preferences (feeling and judging) are extroverted feelers.  As an INFJ I am one of those.  I put my opinions and feelings out there in the world for people to see, plus I can tend to be directive with people.  People with FP preferences (feeling and perception) tend to introvert their feelings.  They are more indirect in expressing themselves.  They tend not to direct people but instruct them.  As a result they can seem less judgmental, but that's only because they don't put their opinions and feelings out there for everyone to see.  I have known people that introvert their feelings and it can be maddening for an extraverted feeler.  We want to know what they REALLY feel about stuff but they seem to have that hidden from view and we can only guess what's really going on in there.

This is a very basic explanation.  It gets a lot more complicated.  I found this page if anyone's interested in learning more about whether they introvert or extrovert their feelings based on their type:

https://www.talentinsights.com/blog/introverted-feeling-vs-extroverted-feeling/#:~:text=Among the most extroverted Feelers,the third or fourth preference.

I used to have a chart with all the types and their functions explained.  I might still have it somewhere in my computer.  Thinking and Sensing can also be introverted or extraverted depending on your type so it's a big chart.

• Useful 3

I thought I saw someone ask above about where to read more about Type and I found a page with some of my favorite books on Type if anyone's interested.

There is also a wealth of information online about it if you poke around enough.

This is the list of books:

https://bookriot.com/books-on-myers-briggs-personality-types/

One of these books, "Please Understand Me II" is a book by David Keirsey, who based his temperament theory on the Myers-Briggs.  Basically he categorizes each type under 4 basic temperaments:

the Guardians or SJ types (ISFJ, ESFJ, ISTJ, ESTJ) 

the Idealists or NF types (INFJ, ENFJ, INFP, ENFP)

the Artisans or SP types (ISFP, ESFP, ISTP, ESTP)

the Rationals or NT types (INTJ, ENTJ, INTP, ENTP)

This can be a good place to start for beginners because it's the most general and easy to understand.

Keirsey's site is here:

https://www.keirsey.com/

It comes with an online temperament sorter that I think is free, plus descriptions of all the temperaments.

• Useful 4
12 hours ago, Nysha said:

@Sandy W, I have renter's insurance and they won't replace them since it wasn't a disaster or theft. I suppose I could have made a police complaint but my granddaughter was only 5 and too cute to languish in jail. 😁

Masks and social distancing definitely exacerbate hearing loss frustration. I've never been good at interpreting facial expressions because I'm always looking at people's lips. By the time I figure out what they've said their initial expression has disappeared.   

Have you tried maybe a local university's school of audiology or if they have a clinic? Sometimes they train their students and you may be able to register for a "test" subject for a lot less?  Unrelated, but the local University by me offers their senior students an opportunity to design & landscape  local residents yard, granted you still have to pay for it, but it is at a much lower rate than what you would be charged for professional designer.

• Useful 4
19 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It does look like most people on the spectrum score as introverts and a lot are either INTJ or ISTJ so there may be some overlap between type and those factors.  Do you score as an INxx type because you're on the spectrum or is it just that a lot of people that are introverts tend to be on the spectrum?

I'm an absolute INxx and according to the autism scale absolutely not on the spectrum.  I'm not denying there may be some overlap and I've known a person or two who might have been there.

• Love 2
(edited)

I refuse to believe Meri and I share a personality 😞 I would never demand a wet bar, sell lulurags, and my eyebrows are perfectly normal.  This hurt my fillings, my walls are up. 😉

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 11
  • Love 7