Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

I spent over 2 hours doing my wash, 3 trips up and down 4 flights of stairs to the unventilated laundry room. First time in literally years that I didn't have to pull other people's stuff out of the washing machines and dryers (we have 2 of each). I only recently have felt safe enough to even use the laundry room - I'd been washing everything in the sink and before Omicron, I went to the Chinese laundromat and stayed outside while my stuff was in the wash, re-entering to move it to the dryers. The laundromat is far cleaner than our basement laundry room and has good ventilation. I go when there are the fewest people possible and sometimes turn around and come home if there are people not wearing masks.

Tonight I timed when my stuff would be dry to within five minutes. I go back down, and my neighbor who never wears a mask despite building rules, who has two little girls in school (mask mandates ended and their father fits the profile of an anti-vaxxer) is in the laundry room. She's the worst offender of leaving her stuff in the machines for days on end - plus all manner of small toys, plastic hair clips and other debris (there was a small round battery in with my wash when I pulled it out to put in the dryer).

My laundry is folded on top of the extremely dirty top of the dryer. She makes this grand gesture saying it was dry already and pointing out how nicely she folded it. I can't even bring myself to go all the way down the steps into that tiny space that she's breathing in with no mask. Oh and she has relatives visiting from Brazil. Above her on the ceiling is a "fan" covered in years of dust and lint that turns on automatically when you turn on the lights. It doesn't vent to outside, it basically just blows all the dust around in the basement. I turned around and came back upstairs without my wash.

NYC apartment living is not always easy.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Teafortwo said:

I spent over 2 hours doing my wash, 3 trips up and down 4 flights of stairs to the unventilated laundry room. First time in literally years that I didn't have to pull other people's stuff out of the washing machines and dryers (we have 2 of each). I only recently have felt safe enough to even use the laundry room - I'd been washing everything in the sink and before Omicron, I went to the Chinese laundromat and stayed outside while my stuff was in the wash, re-entering to move it to the dryers. The laundromat is far cleaner than our basement laundry room and has good ventilation. I go when there are the fewest people possible and sometimes turn around and come home if there are people not wearing masks.

Tonight I timed when my stuff would be dry to within five minutes. I go back down, and my neighbor who never wears a mask despite building rules, who has two little girls in school (mask mandates ended and their father fits the profile of an anti-vaxxer) is in the laundry room. She's the worst offender of leaving her stuff in the machines for days on end - plus all manner of small toys, plastic hair clips and other debris (there was a small round battery in with my wash when I pulled it out to put in the dryer).

My laundry is folded on top of the extremely dirty top of the dryer. She makes this grand gesture saying it was dry already and pointing out how nicely she folded it. I can't even go all the way down the steps into that tiny space that she's breathing in with no mask. Oh and she has relatives visiting from Brazil. I turned around and came back upstairs without it.

If it were me, I would return to the Chinese laundry.  

For years I used a wash and fold service and it was worth the $15-23 dollars a week to be free of that chore.  But even when I did my own, I was in a position to go right after getting off work at 7 am and went straight there and was done within about 75 minutes.  I never liked using the apartment laundry.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

If it were me, I would return to the Chinese laundry.  

For years I used a wash and fold service and it was worth the $15-23 dollars a week to be free of that chore.  But even when I did my own, I was in a position to go right after getting off work at 7 am and went straight there and was done within about 75 minutes.  I never liked using the apartment laundry.

The "last wash" used to be at 6:30 pm on weekdays, but now it's at 4:30 pm so I can only use the laundromat on weekends, alas. By the time I walk there and back, wash and dry, it's at least 90 minutes. I get an hour for lunch.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

My laundry is folded on top of the extremely dirty top of the dryer. She makes this grand gesture saying it was dry already and pointing out how nicely she folded it. I can't even bring myself to go all the way down the steps into that tiny space that she's breathing in with no mask. Oh and she has relatives visiting from Brazil. Above her on the ceiling is a "fan" covered in years of dust and lint that turns on automatically when you turn on the lights. It doesn't vent to outside, it basically just blows all the dust around in the basement. I turned around and came back upstairs without my wash.

Sooo...I theoretically know that NYC apartments are tiny, so I don't know if this would even work, but I used to have a washer/dryer combo machine that hooked up to the kitchen sink. It was about the size of a dishwasher, and on castors, so could be moved around. The dryer didn't need to be vented, because it used condensed air, it just takes more time to dry.

I got mine at the compact appliance website. they're expensive, but I caught a scratch and dent sale and got mine for a pretty reasonable price. I had it for years and it was awesome in our smaller place (Calif small, not NY small, lol) I'd suggest reading all of the reviews as they're not all the same quality by far. Mine was an LG and it lasted a very long time with heavy use.

I think you can find them at Home Depot and Lowes online too, but I'm not 100% certain.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I hear you, Tea, as you know I've lived it.  The stories I could tell!  I should give you my best friend's phone number, the one in the Bronx.  She goes through similar garbage in her laundry room.  She's dreaded using it too for similar reasons.  Since Covid, when she goes to visit her friend in Flushing she sometimes brings her laundry.  Unbelievable!

Just now, WhatAmIWatching said:

I think you can find them at Home Depot and Lowes online too, but I'm not 100% certain.

Great idea, but they are usually against the rules in most apartment buildings in NYC.  My mother had a set in a closet next to the kitchen for years despite that.  Even though this was a co-op the building manager made them stop using it after a while.  They're kind of hard to hide because of the noise they make.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

I hear you, Tea, as you know I've lived it.  The stories I could tell!  I should give you my best friend's phone number, the one in the Bronx.  She goes through similar garbage in her laundry room.  She's dreaded using it too for similar reasons.  Since Covid, when she goes to visit her friend in Flushing she sometimes brings her laundry.  Unbelievable!

Great idea, but they are usually against the rules in most apartment buildings in NYC.  My mother had a set in a closet next to the kitchen for years despite that.  Even though this was a co-op the building manager made them stop using it after a while.  They're kind of hard to hide because of the noise they make.

The all-in-one combos aren't noisy like traditional sets or stackables! Mine was less noisy than my dishwasher. It was a front-loader, so didn't get off-balance and do the floor shimmy or the thumping. 

• Useful 4

Laundry update: tried to re-do it during the work day. It may seem crazy, but I just didn't want to use towels and underwear that my neighbor handled, that likely weren't even completely dry when she folded them last night. Plus her using the dirty top of the dryer to fold. Started at 3:30 pm. Finished at 8:30 pm. Why? The neighbor messed up one of the washing machines (again), didn't post a sign about it (again) and it didn't operate so that load of towels were soaking wet, full of suds, had to be wrung out, dried for over an hour and rewashed in the other machine. I was afraid if I put them in there soaking wet there would be too much water (we can only run the full cycle, alas - there is no option to just re-spin.

Work update: after telling me I could provide doctor's notes to get an exemption from working at the office with my unmasked, unboosted colleagues, it turns out HR wants me to provide certification that I need "special accommodation" to perform my job duties. Basically they're requiring me to submit paperwork to the effect that I have a disability. I'm not sure what the ramifications of that would be for my future. If any of you know about labor laws, I'd be interested in your perspective. I do have two doctor's notes that due to asthma, I am at risk of severe complications of Covid-19 and they recommend my working from home, but I'd rather not classify myself as disabled when I'm not. That seems like a pretty serious road to go down, that could come back to bite me at some point. (Not as bad as if I got long covid, but still.)  

It just seems so irresponsible that my company (not to mention public schools) is acting as if the pandemic is over, especially here in NYC where we have people pouring in from all over the world. 

3 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

Work update: after telling me I could provide doctor's notes to get an exemption from working at the office with my unmasked, unboosted colleagues, it turns out HR wants me to provide certification that I need "special accommodation" to perform my job duties. Basically they're requiring me to submit paperwork to the effect that I have a disability. I'm not sure what the ramifications of that would be for my future. If any of you know about labor laws, I'd be interested in your perspective. I do have two doctor's notes that due to asthma, I am at risk of severe complications of Covid-19 and they recommend my working from home, but I'd rather not classify myself as disabled when I'm not. That seems like a pretty serious road to go down, that could come back to bite me at some point. (Not as bad as if I got long covid, but still.)  

It just seems so irresponsible that my company (not to mention public schools) is acting as if the pandemic is over, especially here in NYC where we have people pouring in from all over the world. 

I don't know much about labor laws but I do know that when you are classified as having a disability you are protected in many ways from being discriminated against in terms of hiring, firing, needing special accommodation, etc.  I would go for it if I were you and I don't think I'd worry about what prospective employers are going to think since it seems to be more common today to be classified with a disability than it was even a decade ago.  Plus if they're that proactive about telling you you're protected, it might actually work in your favor because they know they can get in trouble with the government if they don't at least make a show of hiring people with disabilities.

These days everything in the universe is classified as a disability, including obesity, diabetes, bipolar disorder, you name it.  I think I've even seen asthma on the list.  When I was still applying for jobs last year the list of possible disabilities they ask if you have kept getting longer and longer.  They ask you those questions so they can show the government they're hiring people with disabilities.  So it's actually in their favor (and yours) in this case if you have one!  And they make a big deal out of telling you that if you have one you are protected and can't be discriminated against which I'm sure they're telling you because the government wants them to do that.  I have no idea if it really works that way, but but at our age I think our age is probably a worse strike against us than being at high risk for Covid.  At this point I could probably qualify for at least one if not more disabilities on the list as well as being at high risk for Covid. 

My husband just got himself certified as learning disabled.  When he was young no one knew he was dyslexic.  They knew he was smart but didn't do so well in school but no one put it together and of course this was in the stone ages and there wasn't much knowledge about it then so he fell through the cracks.  He finally realized it several years ago and now that he's decided to pursue a college degree (something he tried decades ago and couldn't handle) he needed the certification to get more time to complete assignments and tests.  I only wish someone would have noticed this about him years ago and helped him out.  I cry when I think of how much he lost out on because he never knew this.  And here I was studying Psychology 30 years ago.  I think I mentioned it to him once and he dismissed it.  I mentioned a lot of things to him way back when that he dismissed but now remembers and is giving me credit for when it's too late to follow my advice, LOL.  Story of my life.  

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Yeah No said:

When I was still applying for jobs last year the list of possible disabilities they ask if you have kept getting longer and longer.  They ask you those questions so they can show the government they're hiring people with disabilities.  So it's actually in their favor (and yours) in this case if you have one!  And they make a big deal out of telling you that if you have one you are protected and can't be discriminated against which I'm sure they're telling you because the government wants them to do that.

This is an excellent insight and not something I would have thought of. Thank you so much!!

• Love 10
On 3/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, iwantcookies said:

Apparently NYC has a serial killer who is targeting homeless people. NYPD thinks it’s the same guy as in DC who killed there. 

It’s incredibly frightening to live in NYC. 

I’ve been seeing reports of the stuff happening in the city. Even on LI, I know someone who takes the train and saw the body of someone who was shot when he exited the train. 

I’m scared to take the train because, for whatever reason, I attract creepers and don’t wanna make the news as the next person raped on a train. Though I can fight and certainly would, I’m also afraid of getting in trouble for defending myself (because they trained me to inflict major damage) and have already been traumatized by sexual assault. In 2009, I was nearly abducted while on a run. FFS why are men so rapey? Being born female feels like a curse sometimes. 

I’m sick of looking over my shoulder and even more tired of having to think about fighting. I’m sick of disgusting, violent humans. I don’t care what their “excuse” is—some things are never excusable, like pushing random people onto subway tracks. Or that poor elderly lady pushed to the ground by a red-haired young woman who just went about her day. 

Sorry for the long tirade but WTF is wrong with people? Every day, it’s reports of more random violence. 

Edited by TurtlePower
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I’ve been seeing reports of the stuff happening in the city. Even on LI, I know someone who takes the train and saw the body of someone who was shot when he exited the train. 

I’m scared to take the train because, for whatever reason, I attract creepers and don’t wanna make the news as the next person raped on a train. Though I can fight and certainly would, I’m also afraid of getting in trouble for defending myself (because they trained me to inflict major damage) and have already been traumatized by sexual assault. In 2009, I was nearly abducted while on a run. FFS why are men so rapey? Being born female feels like a curse sometimes. 

I’m sick of looking over my shoulder and even more tired of having to think about fighting. I’m sick of disgusting, violent humans. I don’t care what their “excuse” is—some things are never excusable, like pushing random people onto subway tracks. Or that poor elderly lady pushed to the ground by a red-haired young woman who just went about her day. 

Sorry for the long tirade but WTF is wrong with people? Every day, it’s reports of more random violence. 

I'm so so sorry you've had to go through such trauma. It's sickening that you have to worry about consequences for defending yourself. I ask every day wtf is wrong with people! 

The last few days, I've restricted catching news, only bits here and there, because it's all so dark and frightening and makes my anxiety spiral crazily. I'm so worried all the time now.

I've been reading about the possible shortages of flour and other products, prices rising on everything, and still seeing almost empty shelves at the store-cat food shouldn't be so hard to find!-and now a new covid variant, and it just overwhelms me to the point where I start feeling that I've been alive too long. It's just too much from all corners, and I'm having a shortage of cope.

I'm trying to do things I enjoy to keep my mood positive (and it does help) but I have the constant underlying worry that steals a lot of the positivity.

• Love 6

Small rant. I hate cooking! But since restaurants by me raised the prices. I cook at home. Seriously they want $7 for a sandwich. $1.75 for a small coffee. 

And why do I love ice cream so much?! Ahhrrr. 

I am very hangry and 1 hour away from my home. 

• Love 6

Some days I avoid all news as well.  It's so difficult to know what is happening and it's nothing that I can control.  As the world spirals out of control, there is nothing that we can do and that's the tough part.

I take refuge in books and my volunteer activities.  It's not going to change the world scene but I figure I can do something small to hopefully help at least one person at a time.

I think of that old song that went "If everyone lit just one little candle what a bright world it would be".  I know that was back when people were not being attacked and killed in broad daylight and ruthless, narcissitic maniacs were not in power - I know it's just a fantasy but it gets me though the day.  At least most of the time.  Other times I have a big slug of something alcoholic!

• Love 14
19 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I'm so so sorry you've had to go through such trauma. It's sickening that you have to worry about consequences for defending yourself. I ask every day wtf is wrong with people! 

The last few days, I've restricted catching news, only bits here and there, because it's all so dark and frightening and makes my anxiety spiral crazily. I'm so worried all the time now.

I've been reading about the possible shortages of flour and other products, prices rising on everything, and still seeing almost empty shelves at the store-cat food shouldn't be so hard to find!-and now a new covid variant, and it just overwhelms me to the point where I start feeling that I've been alive too long. It's just too much from all corners, and I'm having a shortage of cope.

I'm trying to do things I enjoy to keep my mood positive (and it does help) but I have the constant underlying worry that steals a lot of the positivity.

The inflation out there is insane. It’s going to get to the point where there’s more shoplifting, perhaps justifiably so. $3.50 for a can of campbells soup at the local grocery—$3.50! 

And the fuel prices — Hubby and I were discussing getting a hybrid or electric car last year, but now with inflation so high and medical bill co-pays, we cannot afford to. How are people supposed to wean off fossil fuels if they can’t afford the vehicles?

And there’s no way I’m taking the train with all the rapey-rapersons and killy mc kill faces out there. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

And the fuel prices — Hubby and I were discussing getting a hybrid or electric car last year, but now with inflation so high and medical bill co-pays, we cannot afford to.

Fuel prices have been this high and higher in the past (we tend to forget) so this too shall pass. Plus our gas prices are among the lowest in the world.  

The upfront prices for a hybrid seem high but, if you keep the car for a number of years, it pays off. I just had to replace my 10 year old hybrid and I more than made up the difference in the purchase price in fuel costs as they went up over the years.  I was not planning on buying a new one but a suicidal deer sent it to that great car cemetery in the sky.  I got 44 miles to the gallon with that one.  My new one is a little less at this point but they never get the best mileage in the winter  because the engine needs to run a bit on cold days to heat up the oil and all before it can switch over.  I will have a better idea in the summer. 

I can't do electric because I live in a rural area and need to make long trips for shopping and medical appointments so a plug in would not work for me.

All I can say today is that, as bad as it is here, we're not hiding in our basements waiting to be shelled or gassed with chemical weapons!

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Fuel prices have been this high and higher in the past (we tend to forget) so this too shall pass. Plus our gas prices are among the lowest in the world.  

The upfront prices for a hybrid seem high but, if you keep the car for a number of years, it pays off. I just had to replace my 10 year old hybrid and I more than made up the difference in the purchase price in fuel costs as they went up over the years.  I was not planning on buying a new one but a suicidal deer sent it to that great car cemetery in the sky.  I got 44 miles to the gallon with that one.  My new one is a little less at this point but they never get the best mileage in the winter  because the engine needs to run a bit on cold days to heat up the oil and all before it can switch over.  I will have a better idea in the summer. 

I can't do electric because I live in a rural area and need to make long trips for shopping and medical appointments so a plug in would not work for me.

All I can say today is that, as bad as it is here, we're not hiding in our basements waiting to be shelled or gassed with chemical weapons!

I know prices have been high before and hope they come down. It feels like corporate America is seeing how far they can go to take advantage of us. And I know many countries’ governments tax the crap outta their fuel, Israel being on of them (worked over there). 

Sadly, we cannot even afford the upfront cost of a hybrid. We simply can’t, no matter how much we want to. We also need to keep our truck because we have a trailer and plan on living rurally again (populated areas aren’t for me). 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

The inflation out there is insane. It’s going to get to the point where there’s more shoplifting, perhaps justifiably so. $3.50 for a can of campbells soup at the local grocery—$3.50! 

And the fuel prices — Hubby and I were discussing getting a hybrid or electric car last year, but now with inflation so high and medical bill co-pays, we cannot afford to. How are people supposed to wean off fossil fuels if they can’t afford the vehicles?

And there’s no way I’m taking the train with all the rapey-rapersons and killy mc kill faces out there. 

3:50 for a can of Campbell's soup, that's nuts. I just checked and it 1.89 here in Texas which is still a lot. I guess I am going to have to make soup from now on.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I keep thinking that high fuel prices will cause people to stay home a little more and thus less traffic on the roads……..but, nooooooo….traffic is worse than before!  Apparently, they have no issue buying gas.  I can’t figure out where everyone is going. 

• Love 8

I'm really confused about the rush to phase out of fossil fuels, here's why:

There's not a grid, so to speak, of charging stations all over the country (yet) like there are gas stations, and electric cars can only go so far, right?

How long does it take to fully charge a car? I remember reading that it takes quite a while. Getting gas takes maybe minutes. 

I remember in Calif, we'd get penalized for using too much electricity at home. Doesn't charging a car use quite a lot?

Electric cars and hybrids cost a fortune! Sure, it will pay off down the road (lol) but that's a lot of cheddar to slice off up front.

I really know little about electric cars or hybrids, but I'd hope that the plan would be to get the infrastructure and things in place first, and then move forward with phasing out gas, but I'm not sure if my perspective is incorrect? 

I used to have a little Geo Metro and it was such a fun car, and got around 50 mi per gallon. I miss that car so much! I All this change is unnerving and anxiety provoking and everyone can get off my lawn! Lol

• Love 5

My daughters and neighbors always used the free shopping bags for garbage liners, too.  So when the state went to reusable shopping bags, I then had to buy plastic can liners.  It seems a bit crazy to me, but a lot of people didn't reuse the bags and they became trash.  I don't see as many empty bags being tossed now that people have to pay for them.  

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Absolom said:

My daughters and neighbors always used the free shopping bags for garbage liners, too.  So when the state went to reusable shopping bags, I then had to buy plastic can liners.  It seems a bit crazy to me, but a lot of people didn't reuse the bags and they became trash.  I don't see as many empty bags being tossed now that people have to pay for them.  

If I forget to bring my own bags, they charge 5 cents each for plastic bags supplied by the store.  I use most of them up by lining wastepaper baskets around the house with them.  Don't know how long I'll be able to do that as they are now demanding that curbside trash bags be clear so the contents can be assessed.  It won't be long before they will want clear bags inside the larger bags too. 

I live in a smaller community that doesn't yet have green compost recycle bins but I do conscientiously recycle paper, plastic, glass, metal etc. in the blue bins. I was somewhat taken aback a while ago when I found that they had sifted through the contents of my bag of paper and removed the coffee filters, I guess they go to landfill where they remain forever.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Electric cars and hybrids cost a fortune! Sure, it will pay off down the road (lol) but that's a lot of cheddar to slice off up front.

I really know little about electric cars or hybrids, but I'd hope that the plan would be to get the infrastructure and things in place first, and then move forward with phasing out gas, but I'm not sure if my perspective is incorrect? 

Well, actually, the hybid versions of a car generally cost about $2500 more than a gas version.  All cars are horribly expensive, for sure, but the difference is not huge.  However the difference in hybrid and gas pays off over time on savings in fuel.  Plug in electrics are another matter with challenges.

You have to understand how hybrids work.  They have a gas engine but at speeds below 45 they switch to electric and create no emissions. They are especially useful in city driving as you use very little fuel.  Then, at higher speeds they switch to a combination or all gas.  Thus, unlike an all electric car, there is no need to plug in to charge anything up - that's all done when braking (which captures energy) and running on fuel.  No need for a power grid, it's all done internally so no different than driving an all gas car.  The only thing that takes getting used to is the silence when you start it!  I have driven once since 2012 and will never go back. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t care for a hybrid in the winter. I like to hear my engine at all times when driving in snow, or ice.

Just curious as to why.  Does a gas engine change pitch or something?  Even when running on gas I don't see any difference when driving in the snow or on ice which is more than abundant in my neighborhood!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Just curious as to why.  Does a gas engine change pitch or something?  Even when running on gas I don't see any difference when driving in the snow or on ice which is more than abundant in my neighborhood!

For me, the engine sort of warns me, hard to explain. I can feel the shifting, which admittedly is the transmission, but it needs the engine. I know, it probably doesn’t make any sense.

• Useful 4
46 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Well, actually, the hybid versions of a car generally cost about $2500 more than a gas version.  All cars are horribly expensive, for sure, but the difference is not huge.  However the difference in hybrid and gas pays off over time on savings in fuel.  Plug in electrics are another matter with challenges.

You have to understand how hybrids work.  They have a gas engine but at speeds below 45 they switch to electric and create no emissions. They are especially useful in city driving as you use very little fuel.  Then, at higher speeds they switch to a combination or all gas.  Thus, unlike an all electric car, there is no need to plug in to charge anything up - that's all done when braking (which captures energy) and running on fuel.  No need for a power grid, it's all done internally so no different than driving an all gas car.  The only thing that takes getting used to is the silence when you start it!  I have driven once since 2012 and will never go back. 

Thank you so much for the explanation! Do they go as fast and have as much punch as gas powered? IIRC, when the Prius was new, there was chatter about the slower speeds and sort of anemic on power. --It's been years and years since their advent, so I'd hope there have been vast improvements all around. When/if I'm forced to switch, I will do a hybrid, if at all possible!

I had no idea that the costs were so close! The last time I checked prices on cars, you could get a decent beater for way less than 10 grand, so it's been quite a while. I keep my cars -and everything- until it's a dinosaur and impossible to fix, lol. Nowadays, cars seem to be going for quite a bit, even for an old beater. It shocked me!

I know there's a push to get the big trucks changed to electric, and that's where I'm really curious how they plan to work it. The weight limits on highways may not mesh with the weights and amount of the batteries it will take to power an 18 wheeler. How easy will it be for them to charge or "fill up", and how long will it take? Most truckers are under a time crunch to get their load to the drop point, so how will that be affected? Plus, who gets the cost? The trucking companies initially, but won't the costs be passed along to consumers with much higher prices in food and goods?

I'm just worried that they're not going to really look into everything, and fully research what this massive change will truly entail, and will end up causing a bunch of chaos. 

10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

For me, the engine sort of warns me, hard to explain. I can feel the shifting, which admittedly is the transmission, but it needs the engine. I know, it probably doesn’t make any sense.

I get what you're saying. I can tell a lot about my engine by how it sounds. I can hear when something isn't right, even before my husband does, and he is a great mechanic.

• Useful 3
9 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Thank you so much for the explanation! Do they go as fast and have as much punch as gas powered?

Oh, heavens yes.  I live on all two lanes and do a lot of passing.  It's as extremely zippy and powerful!

11 minutes ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

I know there's a push to get the big trucks changed to electric, and that's where I'm really curious how they plan to work it.

I wonder about that as well especially the long haulers. I know that Amazon is switching their local delivery vans and trucks.  They probably don't exceed the mile limits when delivering in a city.

• Love 5

My trash company uses electric trucks.  We've seen fewer breakdowns on the weekly pickups since they switched, plus they are SO much quieter.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Yeah, they are. We can’t look at a regular car right now with even the used cars being price gouged.

And we’re people who WANT to help reduce fuel emissions and use less. And, we can’t, for now anyways. I read an article yesterday that stated the cost of EVs are out of reach for 70% of Americans. We’re better off than many, and we can’t afford the technology—I don’t know how they’re going to get us all to convert over unless the costs of these things comes down drastically. There are also questionable labor practices when it comes to getting the cobalt for the batteries in those vehicles (and even our smart phones).

On a less depressing note, we had thunderstorms last night! It’s nice to see those again and the humidity is quite pleasant. Spring is in the air!  Also, one of the places I used to live in AZ will soon be reaching the 90s. The 90s! In March! SO glad to be outta there! 

• Love 7

Mining for all the metals needed for EV batteries is problematic not just on the labor front but also for the environmental impact (land, atmospheric, and ocean).  Also of import is the location of much of the raw deposits particularly lithium; a significant amount is found in China, Russia, and Ukraine.  Ukraine's deposits were not too much of a concern until oh about 3 weeks ago.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Yeah, they are. We can’t look at a regular car right now with even the used cars being price gouged.

And we’re people who WANT to help reduce fuel emissions and use less. And, we can’t, for now anyways. I read an article yesterday that stated the cost of EVs are out of reach for 70% of Americans. We’re better off than many, and we can’t afford the technology—I don’t know how they’re going to get us all to convert over unless the costs of these things comes down drastically. There are also questionable labor practices when it comes to getting the cobalt for the batteries in those vehicles (and even our smart phones).

Turtle, I feel your pain.  We live in an expensive part of the country.  Our gas prices in CT are probably even higher than yours plus our grocery prices are about the same although the salaries are lower in my area.  So it has been really hard for us right now.  I am not working anymore and my husband's salary is feeling like less all the time.  He is counting the months until he can collect Social Security.  I will be 64 this year so I still have a ways to go before I can collect that and my retirement money. My unemployment money ran out at the end of last year.  I am pinching a penny until it bleeds.  I don't drive much anymore.  When I go out of my area I don't even feel as safe anymore.  Our crime has gone up too.  People are getting mugged and robbed at gas stations and in parking lots.  It's a scary time.  I'm really avoiding the news right now.  I read selected articles so it isn't as upsetting.

It looks like I'm going to have to buy my car when it comes off lease late next year.  I wanted to get a hybrid or electric vehicle too but it looks like I won't be able to afford it.  The car dealerships are going to suffer if something isn't done.  They work off a small profit margin to begin with and make more of their money on service but they still need the sales.  Something's going to have to give.  I keep hearing reports that things are in the works to lower prices on gas and groceries in my state.  It can't come quick enough.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, TurtlePower said:

I know, I saw Campbell's for $3.50 too.  Totally wild.  I've had to go to three different food markets to find everything I want and get better prices.  It takes a lot longer and it's aggravating.  I wanted to make butternut squash soup but at one market a 20 oz. package of cut up butternut was something ridiculous like $8.99.  Meanwhile at the supermarket down the road it was only $2.99.  Crazy stuff.  And half the time they don't have what you want because of the pandemic supply issues and shortage of truck drivers.  I wrote to L'Oreal because I couldn't find my hairspray.  They said they're having trouble getting the fragrance that goes in it.  They have an unscented version but you can't find it anywhere because it got sold out.  Ughh!

Speaking of shoplifting I had a couple of very unsettling experiences a couple of weeks ago involving that.  I've been reticent to share it because it was so disturbing.   The first experience took place in a Macy's not the one in my local area, about a half hour away.  I went there because there are a lot of other stores in the area I wanted to visit.  So anyway, I got there and found some great winter jackets for a clearance price in my size, which isn't that easy to find because I'm like an XL petite.  Because I hate trying them on on the sales floor because I'm always paranoid about where my purse is, I took them in the fitting room.  When I came out I wasn't sure about any of them so I took them with me and put them back on the rack.  I decided to continue shopping until I made up my mind when I saw a big man talking on a cell phone who was dressed kind of disheveled and looked a little scary walking next to me a little further over.  The store was pretty empty so it was hard to miss him.  I started to notice that he was always right there and wondered WTF was up with him.  I decided to go downstairs and sure enough he followed me.  It was really starting to make me very nervous.  I then overheard him talking to someone on a walkie talkie about how he had followed a woman downstairs.  I suddenly realized that he was a store detective and was talking about ME!  I don't think I had ever actually seen one in that store in my life (although I admit I don't normally look for them either).  I don't know why, but somehow I must have aroused his suspicion.  I was almost ready to ask him why he was following me, but didn't want to confront him.  I was so aggravated by that point I went right upstairs (with him following me) and took the three jackets I tried on back into the fitting room for one last try on before I made my decision.  When I came out I brought the one I wanted up to the register and paid for it.  He was gone.  I was so upset about this I almost wrote to Macy's about it.  I realize they have probably had to beef up their loss prevention but seriously, this was a little too much!

The second situation was at Stew Leonard's, a big food market in NY and CT.  It's a store I go to only once in a while to stock up on a few nicely priced things I can't find anywhere else (although most of their stuff is on the expensive side).  Again, this was in the middle of the day on a weekday so it wasn't that busy.  Soon I noticed all these men in black zip up jackets with walkie talkies running around like they were after someone.  I overheard one say into this radio, "I think I've got him on the security camera over here".  They all then ran in that direction.  I have been shopping in various Stew's my entire life and have never witnessed anything even CLOSE to this.  It was very disturbing, especially after my Macy's experience a few days before.  Stew's I'll go to but I don't want to go to that particular Macy's again.

When I talked to a friend about it she said maybe the fact that I took the coats into the fitting room looked suspicious because people usually try them on on the floor.  I don't know, I've done that before and never felt like people were watching me.

It's more likely the Loss Prevention Officer wanted you to know he was watching you.  He was likely employing a deterrent technique to prevent a possible theft rather than potentially needing to employ an apprehension and detainment in the event your intentions were illicit.

• Useful 4

When I was a university student I once was stopped in a grocery store after paying for my stuff & made to come back to a little office and empty my pockets of what I didn't pay for.  All I had was my wallet, used kleenex and a well-used lip balm. My lack of a purse, age and balming my lips was what made them suspicious. I requested a full refund for my defrosting groceries and never shopped there again and advised everyone I knew to avoid it too.

Edited by deirdra
26 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

It's more likely the Loss Prevention Officer wanted you to know he was watching you.  He was likely employing a deterrent technique to prevent a possible theft rather than potentially needing to employ an apprehension and detainment in the event your intentions were illicit.

It was so weird, though.  I have never been followed by any security people before in such an obvious way.  I haven't looked for anyone either, but I'm what my father used to call a "paranoid New Yorker" that grew up when NYC was a very rough place (I know it's getting rough again) and I'm just naturally on alert for people following me.  I think they have had an uptick in shoplifting recently and are probably instructing their security people to be more obvious.  Too bad it's turning off innocent customers!  I found the experience demoralizing, to be honest.  It was too much like being young in the Bronx where they pretty much gave you a full search going in and out of a store.  I moved away from the Bronx to have a higher quality of life and now it's happening here.....

Edited by Yeah No

No doubt it was very unsettling!  It sucks that retailers need to employ personnel to even carry out these duties.  I do think you're right that retail theft has increased and even more disturbing to me is that it has become much more blatant and excessive.

(And that is all I'm going to say on this topic)

• Love 8

Can someone help me? I am tardy to the party, and I have been binge watching this for a couple of weeks; I’m on season six episode 14, which on TLC/ on demand is called “polygamist Flashmob”. none of the titles of the episodes on the TV line up with the titles of the threads here, and I am dying to jump in on some of this discussion!!

I hate chaotic kody.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, DrSparkles said:

Can someone help me? I am tardy to the party, and I have been binge watching this for a couple of weeks; I’m on season six episode 14, which on TLC/ on demand is called “polygamist Flashmob”. none of the titles of the episodes on the TV line up with the titles of the threads here, and I am dying to jump in on some of this discussion!!

I hate chaotic kody.

I’m thinking 2014 episodes on here probably aren’t a complete season list.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, DrSparkles said:

I hate chaotic kody.

I think there were a few years when they would sometimes broadcast a double episode so for purposes of the board and TV schedule guides those episodes were listed as one with whatever title.  When they were put onto the streaming service the long episodes were divided into standard length runs and posted as 2 separate episodes with entirely new titles.  Why TLC didn't rename them with the same episode titles for at least one of the two shorter episodes is beyond me.  You can see evidence of this as on the board we show season 6 as having 13 episodes whereas TLC streaming shows it as having 20 episodes.  

• Useful 5