Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Polygamous Cul-de-Sac

Message added by Scarlett45

I  understand the fear, concern, heartbreak, and stress in this current situation. I ask that we please remember the politics policy. Keep politics, political references, and political figures (past and present) out of the discussion.

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Start Topic

Brought over from a Mary thread:  Lularoe report as promised:  First off it was wonderful seeing my old friend which is why I went.  They had the room set up like a small store and I was able to see what she had.  Some individual pieces were cute.  There were maxi skirts, pencil skirts, leggings, shirts, dresses, and lace vests.  I am NOT a lace person so the vests were not my thing.  It wasn't just that they were lace, they looked a bit cheap to me and very matronly.  The outfits as they set them up and how many people wear them looked a bit matronly as well.  I do not like the entire outfit being that brand/style.  They sizes DO run very large.  I think if you matched the skirts with a less roomy shirt they would look cute.  If you paired one of their shirts with skinny jeans it would look cute.  Roomy shirt with maxi skirt makes one look larger than they are.  There were many women there in head to toe Lularoe.  Again, not MY favorite look.  That said I DID buy a cute dress.  It is an A line dress with short sleeves in a cool small print that are my colors (Autumn colors).  By itself its a bit girly for me but I had on a cute pair of lace up boots (also had on a loose belt)  which are a little edgy and it looked VERY cute with it.  It may have been the Carly.  Will I buy more?  If they have a pair of black leggings maybe.   Other than that no.  My sister bought 2 maxi skirts.  Now the mystery (for me) which is Lularoe is solved.

• Love 13

I'm sure many, if not most of you have read Escape by Carolyn Jessop.  She was part of the Warren Jeffs FDLS group.  I just finished it and life among those poor women was worse than I ever imagined.  I could not believe the abuse from the husbands and also the sister wives.  Warren Jeffs taking over made things even worse.  It got to the point where men were not allowed to have sex with their own wives but must watch as specially chosen men planted their 'seed' to further the purity of the line.  I hated what I was reading but could not put it down.  Carolyn was the only female FLDS member to escape with all her kids.  Unfortunately her daughter Betty returned when she turned 18, after living for 3 years in the real world.  I am going to read the follow up book this week.

I have not read the book, but I have heard about the things you mention. The whole "seed bearers" thing is crazy. That definitely shows how fear and brain-washing/indoctrination can make people willing to put up with crazy things. I'm not prone to violence, but it seems like sometimes that's what's required to correct a situation.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

I want Sister Wives to be a weekly 1/2 hour episode again. Instead it is an extra long movie...

I cannot figure out WHY they are doing this except maybe for scheduling purposes. Do they have another show to cram in at a certain date so they have to hurry up and end this season? I haven't even seen the full episode from this last sunday.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I cannot figure out WHY they are doing this except maybe for scheduling purposes. 

Isn't the bulk of it just recaps and reruns of the same scenes over and over?  If it were only new content, the show would be about 15 minutes long.  No way to sell advertising with that.  Sadly, viewers put up with three hours of dreck just to see a few minutes of something different.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Isn't the bulk of it just recaps and reruns of the same scenes over and over?  If it were only new content, the show would be about 15 minutes long.  No way to sell advertising with that.  Sadly, viewers put up with three hours of dreck just to see a few minutes of something different.

The recent episodes are two hours long (with commercials) and I guess the third hour is the clip shows people talk about.  My amazon account only gives me the episode commercial free thankfully so its 1 hour and 25 minutes of actual viewing time.  The clip shows are just that, they don't come through the amazon listing thankfully.  These past few shows have had more new content then the usual ones that were rerun scenes mixed with a sprinkling of new.

8 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

The recent episodes are two hours long (with commercials) and I guess the third hour is the clip shows people talk about.  My amazon account only gives me the episode commercial free thankfully so its 1 hour and 25 minutes of actual viewing time.  The clip shows are just that, they don't come through the amazon listing thankfully.  These past few shows have had more new content then the usual ones that were rerun scenes mixed with a sprinkling of new.

Horatio Luro, trainer of 1964 Kentucky Derby winner and renowned sire Northern Dancer, had a saying for using a racehorse until he could no longer compete: "squeezing the lemon dry". 

I believe that's what TLC is doing with Sister Wives. The Browns most likely get nothing for those clip shows - they only get paid for new filming just like every other TLC participant.  No residuals, percentages or artistic control. 

Until TLC has another hit to replace the Browns - they will squeeze that lemon until nothing more comes out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

If you ignore the last hour of these three-hour marathons, you can nearly get through it in about 45 minutes.  I know, for instance, that I can fast-forward through the first couple of minutes after every single commercial break, because we are always going to re-watch what we just watched.  Because I guess TLC viewers cannot retain what we saw four minutes ago or something?  Sheesh.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Horatio Luro, trainer of 1964 Kentucky Derby winner and renowned sire Northern Dancer, had a saying for using a racehorse until he could no longer compete: "squeezing the lemon dry". 

I believe that's what TLC is doing with Sister Wives. The Browns most likely get nothing for those clip shows - they only get paid for new filming just like every other TLC participant.  No residuals, percentages or artistic control. 

Until TLC has another hit to replace the Browns - they will squeeze that lemon until nothing more comes out.

Yes, I'm thinking this too.  A long time ago people talked about how they might get paid "per episode".  So you figure that two hour slot is one episode.  Instead of making, say, three episodes in the 30 minute slot they pack it all into a 2 hour megathon. 

Browns get paid technically less and they fill more time on screen with their footage.  Downsizing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Yes, I'm thinking this too.  A long time ago people talked about how they might get paid "per episode".  So you figure that two hour slot is one episode.  Instead of making, say, three episodes in the 30 minute slot they pack it all into a 2 hour megathon. 

Browns get paid technically less and they fill more time on screen with their footage.  Downsizing.

There are very few Discovery/TLC "stars" or as I call them "participants" who have come out regarding how much they were paid and how they were paid.  The main authority for me is Jon Gosselin who incurred the wrath of TLC Legal by going against what apparently was an ironclad contract and disclosing that at most, the Gosselins were paid $25k per episode as a family unit, plus travel (and I didn't watch the Gosselins but maybe twice, I do remember a Hawaii vacation that was quite a bit more luxurious than the Kody Brown Family's).  The Gosselins didn't start at that amount, but as their popularity/notoriety grew, so did their payment.  

I'm surprised that Mama June of Honey Boo Boo hasn't even really stated how much TLC paid them, even after all the crap she's said about them when the show was suddenly cancelled.  After Jon G. broke the rules, TLC legal must have come up with an even more ironclad non-disclosure. 

Personally speaking I could care less about the polygamy or who Kody does or doesn't sleep with.  I want to know how much they make and how they manage to support themselves on what appears to be just the TLC income.   The fact that Meri feels it necessary to apparently spend most of her waking moments selling overpriced printed leggings and other clothes through an MLM indicates, to me anyway, that other income streams are needed.  If she's just doing it primarily to pass the time, she could volunteer or go to school or become involved in the community.  (and I do believe that JO mixed some truths with her buckets of lies regarding the catfishing - she said that Meri looked into selling the house and found she wouldn't be able to do so without buying Kody out of his half-interest or something like that).

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

There are very few Discovery/TLC "stars" or as I call them "participants" who have come out regarding how much they were paid and how they were paid.  The main authority for me is Jon Gosselin who incurred the wrath of TLC Legal by going against what apparently was an ironclad contract and disclosing that at most, the Gosselins were paid $25k per episode as a family unit, plus travel (and I didn't watch the Gosselins but maybe twice, I do remember a Hawaii vacation that was quite a bit more luxurious than the Kody Brown Family's).  The Gosselins didn't start at that amount, but as their popularity/notoriety grew, so did their payment.  

I'm surprised that Mama June of Honey Boo Boo hasn't even really stated how much TLC paid them, even after all the crap she's said about them when the show was suddenly cancelled.  After Jon G. broke the rules, TLC legal must have come up with an even more ironclad non-disclosure. 

Personally speaking I could care less about the polygamy or who Kody does or doesn't sleep with.  I want to know how much they make and how they manage to support themselves on what appears to be just the TLC income.   The fact that Meri feels it necessary to apparently spend most of her waking moments selling overpriced printed leggings and other clothes through an MLM indicates, to me anyway, that other income streams are needed.  If she's just doing it primarily to pass the time, she could volunteer or go to school or become involved in the community.  (and I do believe that JO mixed some truths with her buckets of lies regarding the catfishing - she said that Meri looked into selling the house and found she wouldn't be able to do so without buying Kody out of his half-interest or something like that).

Consider the source but I remember "Fake Sam" claimed that they get something like $82K per episode...& split that five ways amongst themselves.

Edited by Sista Snarky
13 minutes ago, Sista Snarky said:

Consider the source but I remember "Fake Sam" claimed that they get something like $82K per episode...& split that five ways amongst themselves.

If it's true, then that explains the fewer, but longer, episodes.  They used to be an hour, or even 30 minutes I think? way back in the day. 

4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Sadly, viewers put up with three hours of dreck just to see a few minutes of something different.

I put up with it this week so I could see the RV sewage tank spew its contents all over Kody.  And it was worth it, heh heh

To be serious, I am actually seeing a lot of things in these old clips that I never noticed before.  My attention has always wandered during this show and I have managed to miss so much.  I swear I have watched since the beginning but a lot of this stuff feels almost new to me. Plus reading here has brought things to my attention that I now know to watch for in the old clips so they don't bug me that much.  I admit I do tend to watch the show from my DVR and if something is really tedious, I just FF past it, and that makes it a bit easier to wade through three hours (only the Oscars need to be on for three hours, seriously).  

What gets old as hell is them playing a scene as a preview before a break, then replaying what we just saw as an into when they come back from the break, then showing the actual scene they previewed later in the body of the show and THEN showing that scene later again as an intro to a new segment (like laurakaye and kohola3 mentioned above).  That is some lazy ass stuff right there.  I get confused about where I am in the course of the episode and wonder if I FF'd too far or something.  Someone should do a time check on this show and see how much is actually "body" of the show vs. previews of upcoming scenes and intros to remind us what we just watched 4 minutes ago.  I'm thinking it's around 70% body and 30% time wasting bullshit.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

I am tired of watching clips of clips of clips, then clips of those clips.

Yep. This has got to be the end for this show and it seems like TLC is trying to help dig its grave. With the 2-3 hour episodes endless of clips of clips, it's just too much repetition.

• Love 5

TLC doesn't have enough programming to schedule. Sadly, three hours of recycled SW fares as well as new content.  They lost the Duggars. The Counting On spin-off was planned before the Josh scandal(s). TLC planned on 2 hours of Duggar content.  They lost Honey Boo Boo too.  Kate Gosslin is smackable. 1/2 of the Roloff clan are smackable as well.  Luckily, 90 Day Fiancée is a goldmine but TLC needs a little bit of time in the mine. 

• Love 3

I miss the crazy (sometimes very bitchy) couponing  on Extreme Couponing. 

I know I know ...their stockpiles are full of 1000 years worth of mustard BBQ sauce toothpaste & cat food...but I liked watching the show. ?

I don't even like watching TLC commercials for most of the TLC shows.

I know the Valastro family in real life & don't watch Cake Boss.

Sister Wives ratings are good & they'll be around for seasons to come.

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CofCinci said:

TLC doesn't have enough programming to schedule. Sadly, three hours of recycled SW fares as well as new content.  They lost the Duggars. The Counting On spin-off was planned before the Josh scandal(s). TLC planned on 2 hours of Duggar content.  They lost Honey Boo Boo too.  Kate Gosslin is smackable. 1/2 of the Roloff clan are smackable as well.  Luckily, 90 Day Fiancée is a goldmine but TLC needs a little bit of time in the mine. 

I cannot believe Gosselin still has a show. Blew my mind when I saw that. She is SO dislikable.

And what happened to TLC when it was actually about LEARNING? Like MTV is no longer about music.

• Love 2

I miss the really old days of Trading Places.  Is that show even on anymore?

I haven't watched the Roloffs in years - I didn't realize that they were becoming so smackable, LOL.  I think I fulfill my smackable quota with the Browns and a few Real Housewives now and then.  

Kate Gosselin needs to go away faster than the Browns, IMO.  I cannot even bear watching old reruns anymore.

• Love 1

IMO, the only TLC show worth watching is The Little Couple.  Otherwise, crickets.  Haven't watched the Brown Clowns in years, get all I need from here.  The Learning Channel is now a Tremendous Load of Crap.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Runnergirl said:

I cannot believe Gosselin still has a show. Blew my mind when I saw that. She is SO dislikable.

She is horrible.  I figured TLC renewed with her in hopes of filming some Jon Gosslin drama and Colin's issues. 

4 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Luckily, 90 Day Fiancée is a goldmine but TLC needs a little bit of time in the mine. 

My wife and I are hooked on 90DF, as well. In fact, we followed the recaps over at Your Slow News Day (yourslownewsday.com) and found this site when Beth got hired to recap it for Previously. I miss the irreverence in her posts on YSND...

2 hours ago, Sista Snarky said:

I know I know ...their stockpiles are full of 1000 years worth of mustard BBQ sauce toothpaste & cat food...but I liked watching the show. ?

We watched Extreme Couponing for  the first couple of seasons. After that, the show seemed to change its focus. Plus, we moved to a place where the stores were very careful about accepting coupons and their policies all prevented extreme couponing. My wife used to watch Cake Boss. I'm not sure why she stopped. I never could get into that show. I watched the first three or maybe four seasons of SW, then took a couple or three seasons off (but my wife would give me the rundown :D ) and now I'm watching again.

1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I miss the really old days of Trading Places.

I think I fulfill my smackable quota with the Browns and a few Real Housewives now and then.

I remember Trading Places. That was a decent show. Man, I haven't thought about that show in ages! We watch RHOC pretty religiously. I've never been able to get into other RH shows, but I can't seem to turn RHOC off. Maybe they just give me that feeling of being superior to (and more sensible than) someone. Who knows? LOL.

48 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

IMO, the only TLC show worth watching is The Little Couple.

I can't stand The Little Couple - or any of the shows featuring little people. Why do I want to watch people live their daily lives when their daily lives are almost exactly like mine, except they're some three or four feet shorter than I am?

• Love 3

I would just love to be able to get the three seasons of Property Ladder on BluRay or streaming video. 

TLC are you listening?!? 

Can't even find them on YouTube. 

Damn, those clueless people were so entertaining - and the only remuneration they received in return for being on the show was free staging. 

Sigh.

Loved Trading Places.  Wish it would return.

Since I am deaf and know something about the deaf world and their beliefs (it would surprise people!) I think a reality show would be very eye-opening.  You would have the Deaf (with a capital D) vs the deaf (no capital D). And then the oral deaf...and, and, and.

Fireworks.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

Since I am deaf and know something about the deaf world and their beliefs (it would surprise people!) I think a reality show would be very eye-opening.  You would have the Deaf (with a capital D) vs the deaf (no capital D). And then the oral deaf...and, and, and.

Fireworks.

I'd love to see a real life version of Carlton School for the Deaf from Switched at Birth 

• Love 1

There's a new show coming out called Tattoo Girls. I currently live in Springfield, MO where the tattoo shop is located. Everybody here is pretty pissed about how TLC has portrayed Springfield in the previews for the show. In the preview the girls are saying that Springfield is a small town, very conservative, a lot of high school pregnancies, and if you go to college you're considered a nerd. I don't know if the "tattoo girls" came up with that load of shit or if TLC did that but it just shows how fake tlc is. They tell lies for ratings. Springfield is not a small town. It is a small city but there are 4 major college campuses within the city limits. One of our high schools is also one of the few high schools offering the IB program in the country. Kids actually come from out of the US if they can get accepted into that program. There is not one pregnant girl at my kids high school and there hasn't been since my son started there 5 years ago. There are a few high schools in Springfield. 

As far as Springfield being ultra-conservative and close-minded, I can't agree with that either. I think the Assemblies of God is located here but I also take yoga classes taught by a gay married psychic shaman and he's a very successful and brilliant yogi and well respected within the community. There are Mennonites here and also heavily tattooed and we all get along. Every year we have gay pride day downtown and conservative Christians are just fine with that. We are a typical US small city, not a one horse town. I just don't understand why TLC has to paint this picture of backwoods inbreds who's only claim is Brad Pitt. It is so far from the truth. It makes me hate TLC so much.

Edited by Nowhere
I believe they're Mennonites that I'm seeing, not Amish.
  • Love 9
30 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

There's a new show coming out called Tattoo Girls. I currently live in Springfield, MO where the tattoo shop is located. Everybody here is pretty pissed about how TLC has portrayed Springfield in the previews for the show. In the preview the girls are saying that Springfield is a small town, very conservative, a lot of high school pregnancies, and if you go to college you're considered a nerd. I don't know if the "tattoo girls" came up with that load of shit or if TLC did that but it just shows how fake tlc is. They tell lies for ratings. Springfield is not a small town. It is a small city but there are 4 major college campuses within the city limits. One of our high schools is also one of the few high schools offering the IB program in the country. Kids actually come from out of the US if they can get accepted into that program. There is not one pregnant girl at my kids high school and there hasn't been since my son started there 5 years ago. There are a few high schools in Springfield. 

As far as Springfield being ultra-conservative and close-minded, I can't agree with that either. I think the Assemblies of God is located here but I also take yoga classes taught by a gay married psychic shaman and he's a very successful and brilliant yogi and well respected within the community. There are Mennonites here and also heavily tattooed and we all get along. Every year we have gay pride day downtown and conservative Christians are just fine with that. We are a typical US small city, not a one horse town. I just don't understand why TLC has to paint this picture of backwoods inbreds who's only claim is Brad Pitt. It is so far from the truth. It makes me hate TLC so much.

I lived near there for a bit and totally agree. NOT small-town cow-town America. I found some of my favorite sequin minis and  6 inch heels at a mall in Springfield that would rival Las Vegas club wear, where I live now.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I have a tattoo phobia & hearing that guy say "Lionel Richie dressed as Waldo" makes me somewhat  stabby...so shit for sure I won't be watching that show.

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 1

Don't get me started on Project Dad. I guess it's supposed to be fascinating for us to watch 3 guys take care of their own kids for 2 days. TLC and the celebrities they get are so out of touch with reality. Fathers stay at home with their own children on a daily basis in the real world and they do a damn good job at it. I guess these rich and famous assholes are used to having nannies but honestly taking care of your own kid is not at all interesting. And the fact that these men are fumbling around like they've never seen a child before is just sickening. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Sista Snarky said:

I have a tattoo phobia & hearing that guy say "Lionel Richie dressed as Waldo" makes me somewhat  stabby...so shit for sure I won't be watching that show.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the tattoos featured are fakes. These girls have a rep for giving bad tattoos. There are a few very good tattoo artists in Springfield and I've never seen Ink Ink on the list of recommendations. I have several tattoos and a full sleeve and the only thing I've heard about the tattoo girls is that they are average on the verge of bad tattoo artists. Definitely not good enough to have a show.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the tattoos featured are fakes. These girls have a rep for giving bad tattoos. There are a few very good tattoo artists in Springfield and I've never heard their name on the list of recommendations. I have several tattoos and a full sleeve and the only thing I've heard about the tattoo girls is that they are average on the verge of bad tattoo artists. Definitely not good enough to have a show.

There will probably be long long  lines of people like here (until recently)  with Cake Boss fans. 

Hopefully those people will do good  research before they decide to get a tattoo from there. With Carlo's Bakery it's just about buying cannoli & stuff. You can easily walk off cannoli...

Edited by Sista Snarky
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Sista Snarky said:

There will probably be long long  lines of people like here (until recently)  with Cake Boss fans. 

Hopefully those people will do good  research before they decide to get a tattoo from there. With Carlo's Bakery it's just about buying cannoli & stuff. You can easily walk off cannoli...

I'm sure they'll get a lot of business. Hopefully they're cancelled after their six episodes.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Try being born and raised in Staten Island. Bam, Mob Wives becomes a show!! Not a glowing representation.

I'll never believe anything on TLC. Sucks that some people do though.

8 hours ago, Sista Snarky said:

I love this show.  I also wish more of these people did it for the good of others and donated it like some did rather than to just have the largest hoard of condiments.  These people do realize that toothpaste etc does go bad right?  I also never understood why they didn't seem to use their hoard.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

Fireworks.

What does that mean?