The Band Perry
Zac Brown Band

Album of the Year
‘Crash My Party,’ Luke Bryan
‘Fuse,’ Keith Urban
‘Platinum,’ Miranda Lambert
‘Riser,’ Dierks Bentley
‘The Outsiders,’ Eric Church

Song of the Year (Awarded to Songwriters)
‘Automatic,’ Miranda Lambert (Written by Nicole Galyon, Natalie Hemby and Miranda Lambert)
‘Follow Your Arrow,’ Kacey Musgraves (Written by Kacey Musgraves, Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally)
‘Give Me Back My Hometown,’ Eric Church (Written by Eric Church and Luke Laird)
‘I Don’t Dance,’ Lee Brice (Written by Lee Brice, Rob Hatch and Dallas Davidson)
‘I Hold On,’ Dierks Bentley (Written by Brett James and Dierks Bentley)

Vocal Duo of the Year
Dan + Shay
Florida Georgia Line
Love and Theft
The Swon Brothers
Thompson Square

New Artist of the Year
Brandy Clark
Brett Eldredge
Kip Moore
Thomas Rhett
Cole Swindell

Single of the Year
‘Automatic,’ Miranda Lambert
‘Drunk on a Plane,’ Dierks Bentley
‘Give Me Back My Hometown,’ Eric Church
‘Meanwhile Back at Mama’s,’ Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
‘Mine Would Be You,’ Blake Shelton

Musical Event of the Year
‘Bakersfield,’ Vince Gill and Paul Franklin
‘Meanwhile Back at Mama’s,’ Tim McGraw and Faith Hill
‘Somethin’ Bad,’ Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood
‘We Were Us,’ Keith Urban and Miranda Lambert - already announced as the winner
‘You Can’t Make Old Friends,’ Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton

Music Video of the Year
‘Automatic,’ Miranda Lambert
‘Bartender,’ Lady Antebellum
‘Drunk on a Plane,’ Dierks Bentley - already announced as the winner
‘Follow Your Arrow,’ Kacey Musgraves
‘Somethin’ Bad,’ Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood

Musician of the Year
Sam Bush
Jerry Douglas
Paul Franklin
Dann Huff
Mac McAnally

What's the over/under on how many times Carrie changes clothes?

I'm guessing 14.

Some quick predictions before it gets started...

Entertainer of the Year

Should win: Blake Shelton

Will win: Miranda Lambert

Female Vocalist of the Year

Should win: Carrie Underwood

Will win: Carrie Underwood

Male Vocalist of the Year

Should win: Dierks Bentley

Will win: Blake Shelton

Vocal Group of the Year

Should win: Zac Brown Band

Will win: Lady Antebellum

Album of the Year

Should win: ‘Riser,’ Dierks Bentley

Will win: ‘Platinum,’ Miranda Lambert

Song of the Year (Awarded to Songwriters)

Should win: ‘Give Me Back My Hometown,’ Eric Church (Written by Eric Church and Luke Laird)

Will win: ‘I Hold On,’ Dierks Bentley (Written by Brett James and Dierks Bentley)

Vocal Duo of the Year

Should win: Thompson Square

Will win: Florida Georgia Line

New Artist of the Year

Should win: Kip Moore

Will win: Kip Moore

Single of the Year

Should win: ‘Give Me Back My Hometown,’ Eric Church

Will win: ‘Automatic,’ Miranda Lambert

Musician of the Year

Should win: Jerry Douglas

Will win: Paul Franklin

I am still surprised that Follow Your Arrow won Song of the Year. I thought that was a "we nominated it, what else do you expect us to do" kind of nomination. Definitely the most surprising (and hell yeah) winner of the night for me.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the opening crack about Taylor Swift (not a fan) and the acknowledgement of her moving from country to pop but why in the world did they nominate her for female vocalist of the year?

I was also not thrilled to see Tim Tebow and Ariana Grande (I did laugh at the overused joke about her coffee size last name). I'm just not fans of them but don't hate. Just get annoyed seeing them everywhere. Especially Tebow. His fifteen minutes of fame have passed. Additionally, whenever I see Ariana all I can think is "Surprise, surprise, it is the same hairstyle yet again. Shocker!"

Overall, I enjoyed the night. I had been hoping Maddie & Tae would perform as their song is one of my current favorites when I'm driving to/from work.

Also, Carrie Underwood looked, in the words of Zoolander, really, really, really ridiculously good looking. I can't even hate on her for it. Each time I see her I'm  just in awe. Better outfits this year than last year too.

It took me a few minutes to find this thread! I thought the performances got better as the night went on.

Kenny Chesney’s opening performance was pretty “Meh” and I really didn’t like that dance party crap going on in the background behind him, with women pretending to play the bongos. Pretty lame. Then on to Miranda and Meghan Trainor. Miranda’s vocals were more in the background and Meghan was outsinging her the whole time (and I usually like Miranda). It seemed weird and uneven. Dislike.

Make Arianna Grande and her stupid hair go away, ASAP. Take Jennifer Nettles with you, mostly because I can’t stand her and I can’t put my finger on the reason why.

I was surprised about Luke Bryan winning Entertainer of the Year but good for him.

Edited by MelsW

There is just something about Miranda Lambert I don't like. She just doesn't appear like a nice person with class. On the other hand Carrie Underwood does. Of course I could be totally wrong but just an observation. There were a few times the camera panned to her during Brad and Carries intro, she seemed bothered.

• Love 2
Guest Accused Dingo

Brad and Carrie had chemisty and were funny.

Wasn't to surprised or upset by winners.

Not a bad award show.

Reba just sang "Why Haven't I Heard From You."  The nostalgia is high!  I saw her 20-ish years ago (with Brooks and Dunn) probably singing this same song.  The lyrics about a phone on every corner and the back of every bar did make me laugh though.  

Now it's more like "There's a phone in every pocket, and a charger in your car."

• Love 3

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/chris-stapleton-is-your-new-real-country-music-savior-1740766548

This. I definitely read last night as something like a "shot across the bow" against where current, modern country music has gone and is continuing to go (particularly on radio). Choosing to close out the show w/ Reba and Brooks & Dunn......still big names (and in the case of B&D there was the reunion factor), but certainly not names w/ the highest q ratings of the moment did feel like it was another shot coming from that same general direction.

You'd like to think Country is a diverse enough place to include Sam Hunt (who oddly was dressed as a man of the cloth for some reason), Kacey Musgraves (Rainbow Horses!!), Stapleton, LBT, Miranda et al.....but those with the power of the vote certainly played their cards in a specific way last night.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

Wow..Chris Stapleton.

And Justin Timberlake is still a punk ass bitch.

Re the latter comment, I totally disagree. JT & Chris Stapleton was the performance of the night, by a landslide. Better Timberlake than Bieber, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 1

Re the latter comment, I totally disagree. JT & Chris Stapleton was the performance of the night, by a landslide. Better Timberlake than Bieber, as far as I'm concerned.

Totally agree that Timberlake is better than Bieber, but why does it have to be either? Why can't country stand on its own?

I think JT is very talented; just tired of seeing him everywhere.

I couldn't watch the whole thing, country music just isn't my bag.  But I did watch Fall Out Boy with Thomas Rhett on youtube where FOB played Rhett's song Crash and Burn and Patrick sang the back-up vocals.  Did a nice job.  Followed by Uma Thurman, which is always good.

I appreciate the attempt to reach out to new people, but I'm just not sure anyone who's a country music fan is going to be buying FOB's music any time soon and vice versa.

Edited by Hanahope

Wish I had found this last night.  I enjoyed the show, especially Luke Bryan winning.

Kacey Musgraves looked ridiculous, like she forgot her cowgirl skirt, if that is what she was supposed to be, based on the lighted sign,  I just don't get the appeal of her.

I would have preferred a win by Carrie rather than Miranda.  What was up with her hair?

Do you mean here, Rick Kitchen? Not every comment is going to get a response. Even though I was watching, i didn't see everything. Hang on in here!

No, not here.  On other forums. "Omahgerd, gay people don't belong on country music shows!"

Totally agree that Timberlake is better than Bieber, but why does it have to be either? Why can't country stand on its own?

I think JT is very talented; just tired of seeing him everywhere.

I often tend to wonder why the Country Music Award shows (both the ACMs and the CMAs) feel the need to bring in "outsiders" so much too. I think in part it's an attempt to pull in non-Country fans in hopes that they'll like what they hear and give the genre more of a try.  Sometimes (often) it makes little sense (eg. Fall Out Boy). 

BUT... in the case of Chris Stapleton/JT, it was actually a cool thing.  Apparently, Chris and JT have been friends for a few years and JT has been singing Chris's praises for a while (posting on Twitter, etc about what a great talent he is), and Chris asked him to perform with him on the CMAs.  And honestly, I thought they BOTH killed it. 

Also... for those who enjoyed Chris Stapleton, I'd offer his former band The Steeldrivers as something to check out.  More Bluegrass than typical "country radio" country but, just great.  Adele covered one of their songs (If It Hadn't Been for Love) for a while. 

• Love 2

Thanks for all the info on Chris Stapleton and Timberlake. I've been reading a lot of articles about them too.

Agree that Kacey Musgraves needed a skirt. I was distracted from her music by what she was (not) wearing!

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 1

I love the warm reception Pentatonix got.

So did I. While JT & Chris Stapleton's performance was the highlight of the night for me, Pentatonix's acapella version of The Oak Ridge Boys'  classic "Elvira" was a close second.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

I thought this was one of the best award shows I've seen in at least the last five years. Loved the incorporation of current and older country throughout--and hearing from so many "classic" performers. Pentatonix (with Nettles) was a nice touch, and I enjoyed the multiple singers on the salute to Dolly with "IWALU".  I'm so glad that Chris Stapleton is part of the country music scene now. Whether dueting with Dwight Yoakum on the Willie Nelson song, or singing his own songs, he just fuses old and new country for me (emphasis on "old")  His performances--even the arrangements--get rid of a lot that's annoying in many performances today. I enjoyed him and was glad he got the recognition he deserved (the running around hugging his competitors was cute too).

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

CMA awards show had its ups and downs.  Brad and Carrie weren't all that great this tenth year of hosting.  

Carries Gospel song dedicated to those killed in Los Vegas was beautiful!

Little Big Town, my personal favorite, sa g Wichita Line man in memory of Glen Campbell!  

Miranda had the strangest look to her.  Risky look like her at all. 

Sugar land's coming Bach..yea.

Faith and Tim are looking older.

Garth won entertainer of the year but lip synked his song to the outrage of his fans!

Keith Urban finally won.  Yea Keith!

Quite a night for country!

Carrie was straight up robbed last night, point blank and the period. Fuck Garth and his PR machine bullshit.

At least Kacey and Ashley McBryde won, though, along with Maren for Album of the Year. And it was great to see all those women in those two medleys. 

• Love 1

I agree on Garth Brooks. He had his day!  Tricia and Garth aren't my favorite couple!

Miranda trying to look happy while Gwen and Blake are happy...for now at least.  I look for a split when one of them leaves The Voice!

3 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

What was wrong with Willie Nelson???

Oh Willy!  He's getting up there in age and I'm sure these big productions wear him out but he sure gave us some sweet music in his hay day!!!

Willie is 86 years young and worth about 25 million dollars plus what his four ex-wives run off with.  Lol

I think Willie was quite ill with something last fall.  (Maybe still is.). He was at Farm Aid in Wisconsin, not well, but was there to support the cause he believes in so much.

It was hard to watch him trying to get enough breath to sing ... 😢

I love when TJ Osborne kissed his boyfriend after he won, and that speech he gave at the beginning of their performance. It took long enough and it's still things I never thought I would see in a Country Music show.

Edited by argrow
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I dropped by to see what others thought.  I waited to watch the show until Saturday night, so I could relax and enjoy it.  Well….I love Luke Bryant, but was not impressed with his opening.  All the bragging and accusations of being robbed of awards…..I did not care for it at all and I’ve never known Luke to be anything like that.  Then all the talk about how great some of those artists are sitting at certain tables! Poor taste…...no thanks.  Just too much BS for me.  I’m beginning to think that I’m done with award shows.  I may try to fast forward just to watch the performances.   

Oh, some of those artists  should have taken a very low profile, imo. That’s all I say about that.   Oh, not referring to TJ Osborne.  I would like to see that. Can anyone tell me what part of the show that happens…early, middle, end, etc.

Edited by SunnyBeBe