Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/02/15

buffynut
  • Start Topic

"No harm, no foul" with regard to the Fiorina interview.  She didn't hurt her position at all, but didn't better herself either.  You could see, however, that she was really working to keep that smile on for the entire segment, which says to me that, despite what she says, the critique does bother her.

MzTori77 inquired

What I don't understand is the disdain for Carly Fiorina, by the View hosts and by many on this board. I would truthfully like to know what it is that makes people dislike Her so much.

Speaking only for myself, I just don't find her genuine, and she's too willing to "bend" to suit what she feels others are looking for.  That's not honest, admirable or decisive.  And then there's that whole HP fiasco - now that was ugly.  Her attempts to minimalize her part in HP's financial downturn and the loss of over 30,000 jobs under her tenure show her to be irresponsible and delusional.  If she were POTUS and had difficulties in international relations, how far would "Well (China, Russia, Iran, etc.) just doesn't like me" get her or US?  You can't just swat that away like an irritating gnat.

I find it difficult to consider her as a serious candidate.

• Love 17

Raven's question was absolutely ridiculous about CF talking everything but issues!  What planet is she on?  Show should be embarrassed.  

The View should never waste our time on any telephone interview with a guest.  Constant interrupting and talking over each other was a joke.

• Love 6

It has been PROVEN that the fetus on the table, attributed to PP, is stock footage & has nothing to do with the abortion debate.  I'm Canadian, so I don't have any "skin" in this game, but I do pay attention to news regarding women's issues.  I don't like liars & those who blindly propagate those lies.  

That video has been totally discredited.  Has Carly Fiorina ever acknowledged this fact?  Why did they not ask her about this instead of just shouting "that's not true!!! that's not true!!" when she started in with the body parts being harvested thing she always says.  They should have called her out on this specifically because it is her big "shock" point and she ought to not be allowed to ignore the fact she has been proven WRONG.

• Love 22

It has been PROVEN that the fetus on the table, attributed to PP, is stock footage & has nothing to do with the abortion debate.

Where someone stands on the abortion issue aside, it seems insensitive that the group making the video used footage of the stillborn fetus without the parents' permission.

• Love 1

Forgetting the fetus comments interruption by the panel for a moment, why bother asking your guest questions when you won't even allow them 30 seconds to answer?? The View panel is the rudest bunch of harpies on daytime TV.

• Love 3

I must be the shallowest of voters because, all of Carly Fiorina's multiple failings aside, I cannot get past her voice. She whistle-speaks just like Herbert the Pervert from Family Guy. (I also can't get past the Donald's anus mouth or Ted Cruz's derp face).

Stephen Colbert interviewed Whoopi last night and she was delightful one on one. Where is that Whoopi at 10 am?

• Love 4

Whoopi tends to be very personable and up for anything on other shows. I think it might be the morning schedule or she's just damn tired of being on The View. I don't know. She always comes across so much better on anything else, besides when paps catch her on the street. 

• Love 5

Thanks for all the feedback re Carly Fiorina! I suppose I should go back and do a little research about the baby harvesting issue. You would think that if it has been proven to be untrue, she would know that! I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to determine, and she should be 100% sure before speaking out on it.

• Love 6

Stephen Colbert interviewed Whoopi last night and she was delightful one on one. Where is that Whoopi at 10 am?

She is always delightful when she is selling something, like her book, her daughter's reality show, whatever, but check her out when she is caught off guard.

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 8

Thanks for all the feedback re Carly Fiorina! I suppose I should go back and do a little research about the baby harvesting issue. You would think that if it has been proven to be untrue, she would know that! I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to determine, and she should be 100% sure before speaking out on it.

Only if she cared about being honest & truthful -- which don't seem to be her guiding lights (as those who suffered through her tenure at HP can tell you).

• Love 6

I agree, unfortunately Joy asked her 3 questions to answer at once - I think overall about women: PP, equal pay, and something else.

It was Carly's plan to talk about PP yet again rather than answer the other questions first and hopefully run out of time for the PP part. Except PP was HER agenda.

• Love 5

Rachel knows how to interview political candidates. Ask a question, don't let him or her deflect or fail to answer the question. Follow up. Don't ask more than one question at a time. But I still give kudos to Whoopi and Joy for calling out Fiorina on her lies.

• Love 7

Raven's question was absolutely ridiculous about CF talking everything but issues!  What planet is she on?  Show should be embarrassed.  

The View should never waste our time on any telephone interview with a guest.  Constant interrupting and talking over each other was a joke.

But Raven, for once, was absolutely right.  She never said anything about anything.  Just the same old right to life crap she has been spewing nonstop holding the party line.  She is a vapid woman and should not be compared to Hilary Clinton.  She couldn't hold a candle to HC.

For once I was proud of the ladies on the View.  Joy and Whoopi tag teamed that idiot and stopped her filibuster.  Even Paula sounded sane.

• Love 9

They interrupted her when she was not answering the question or she was stating false information. Good for them.

THIS!! ^^^ times ten! Yes, she began to answer.... some question that was not asked. Answer the question and answer with truthful facts. She was spewing absurdities. If she had said that aliens from Mars come down and harvest fetus parts, I'd expect the panel to interrupt...... ABSURD. She did not answer the question asked. She just spewed.

• Love 5

I saw that too and if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed that was really Whoopi Goldberg - even her voice was different.   But if you really listened she was the same ol' Whoopi underneath - correcting Stephen on everything he said, using her 'comics can say anything' excuse for rudeness and other Whoopi-isms minus the shouting and finger pointing.  

When Stephen called the co-hosts a "fun dysfunctional family" she argued with Colbert that the women are very functional and  NEVER fight or interrupt etc. repeating the party line of "we all get along".   She said the women co-hosts are "spirited talkers" rather than assholes.    Hahahaha    When Colbert mentioned that co-hosts had a kerfluffle with Fiorina in the press,  Whoopi again disagreed and told him that "they are comics on the show, not newscasters"   and used the old "comics can say anything" argument she loves.  Then she added that, "everybody HAS TO KNOW, especially if you're in politics, we're coming for you." 

Whoopi said the stuff she reads about the show is surprising to her because people would rather think "bitches are coming at each other" when in [her] reality the co-hosts have "conversations and say I disagree, I don't like what you said."   In other words, it's just the viewers and the press that think they don't get along.  

On having the other Republican presidential candidates on the show she told him the questions come from asking their families what they would like to know. When Colbert asked her if her family is compensated for doing this work, in true Whoopi fashion she quickly answered, "Hell yes. Better to pay them than someone else."  [like a producer I guess] That's the Whoopi I've come to know and loathe.  

Then she went on to pimp her book and her daughter's show.   It was interesting to hear  the three times married Whoopi trying to explain to long married Colbert why anyone should take her advice on relationships.   Basically, she said relationships are work and she doesn't want to do the work so I'm not sure where the relationship advice fits in, lol.  On her daughter's show, she said Alex and her friend are like "Lucy and Ethel" to her.  Okay then - I still won't be tuning in.

In summary, Colbert did a great job of graciously saying what many of us here say everyday about The View.   And Whoopi pretty much summed it up at the top of the segment with this:

Colbert:  How are things on The View?

Whoopi:  Well, I'm still there - so they must be okay.  

Here's the link to the 11/6 episode.  Whoopi shows up at the 20 minute mark.  

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/video/3l5cPvtaFsHiMT_iA1NS4u8VaLwStOYv/the-late-show-11-6-2015-whoopi-goldberg-governor-john-kasich-glen-hansard-/

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

I can't stop looking at the "restorative" work done on Carly's face! No movement anywhere, face is shiny smooth, her bottom lip has 2 swollen areas on each side looking like the injections just happened. She is phoney on the inside and on the outside!

Not to be disrespectful, but this is kind of what I was talking about when it comes to criticism of Carly. I'm pretty sure Hillary has had some work done, too. You can't tell me she hasn't had - at the very least - Botox and fillers, and possibly something surgical. But I don't hear anyone calling her phony. And she has her own issues regarding the truth!

Editing to add that I'm not really pro Fiorina! It just seems that Hillary gets a free pass on so many issues, while Republican candidates are vilified in the press. As it stands, I don't know who I would vote for - I'm not really sold on any of them.

Edited by MzTori77

I can't stop looking at the "restorative" work done on Carly's face!  No movement anywhere, face is shiny smooth, her bottom lip has 2 swollen areas on each side looking like the injections just happened.  She is phoney on the inside and on the outside!

Pity, really, what some women do because they think it will garner them some positive attention, and I'm not referring to just Carly Fiorina or Hillary Clinton.  By comparison, it was wonderful to see the lovely, untouched Gloria Steinem who, at age 81, continues to be a natural beauty who takes pride in her own self worth, and the critics be damned.

• Love 9

I don't know if Hillary has had some work done. Matters not to me because her face moves and shows her wrinkles.

I'm not against it if not overdone and unnatural. Hey - I'm her age and never had any. Most likely would if affordable.

Carly has just overdone it, imo.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 4

Maybe Whoopi being there today wasn't all voluntary?  It wouldn't surprise if TPTB wanted the full crew from the original discussion on hand.

It is November Sweeps.  Maybe her participation is contracted.  Kelly-and-Michael and FourthHourToday also forgo pretapes on Sweeps Fridays.  Although KLG is typically AWOL from TodayFourthHour Fridays.

Whoopi tends to be very personable and up for anything on other shows. I think it might be the morning schedule or she's just damn tired of being on The View. I don't know. She always comes across so much better on anything else, besides when paps catch her on the street. 

More evidence that it's not the on-screen talent, but the unseen production staff. 

• Love 2

Regarding Whoopi:

It is November Sweeps.  Maybe her participation is contracted.  Kelly-and-Michael and FourthHourToday also forgo pretapes on Sweeps Fridays.  Although KLG is typically AWOL from TodayFourthHour Fridays.

When Whoopi was first announcing that Fiorina would appear on Friday's show, she ended her announcement by saying "I won't be here, but... <somethin', somethin' about the other co-hosts>" and then - BOOM! - she makes her appearance.  So it seems as though something happened between the original announcement and the Friday show that changed her mind, either voluntary or un-.  The Whoopi-haters will be quick to remind that she doesn't do anything she doesn't have to do on a voluntary basis, so I really think it was a command that she be there.  I'd be surprised if Sweeps were involved, and she'd probably have been aware if a contract required her presence that Friday as she made the original announcement.  I'm sure she has the clause dealing with her "off time" committed to memory.

With the new season's co-host arrangement, there are supposedly no pre-tapes for Fridays now, thus Sweeps wouldn't be the deciding factor.  Obviously, tho, we've already seen that they've fudged somewhat by taping a guest segment here or there to accommodate (apparently) a guest's schedule.  Nothing about this show is etched in concrete anyway - LOL,

• Love 3

Hillary has definitely NOT been given a pass. Have we not been hearing the banshee cry of e-mails, e-mails, e-mails for months now?

OMG - couldn't agree more, and you have to include all the hoopla about her pantsuits and hair scrunchies, too.  She's taken a beating in the media for quite a while, but the right-wing conveniently forgets about that and plays the "poor unjustly insulted Carly" card whenever they can.

• Love 11

OMG - couldn't agree more, and you have to include all the hoopla about her pantsuits and hair scrunchies, too.  She's taken a beating in the media for quite a while, but the right-wing conveniently forgets about that and plays the "poor unjustly insulted Carly" card whenever they can.

It's a totally different tone with the View co-hosts though. And making fun of pantsuits and hair scrunchies doesn't compare to saying someone's face should be a Halloween mask. I've found that both sides - right wing and left wing - play whatever card suits their agendas. Again, I'm honestly not trying to be argumentative. I try to see both sides of every issue.

• Love 2

I thought conservatives would have an issue with her violating the Iranian sanctions. When I Googled the question to see what other people thought, there was a lot of implicating Fiorina in how expensive ink cartridges have become. The real reasons for that are probably complex.

I agree with the posters saying that there is too much interrupting on the show at times, not that I'm ever going to expect it to be as neatly moderated as a high school debate tournament.

Edited by cheatincheetos

I can't stop looking at the "restorative" work done on Carly's face!  No movement anywhere, face is shiny smooth, her bottom lip has 2 swollen areas on each side looking like the injections just happened.  She is phoney on the inside and on the outside!

She isn't ugly, but the work done is obvious. So it was a little funny when she responded to Trump's rude comments by saying that this is the face of a 61 year old and I'm proud of every line and wrinkle.

How does Christie Brinkley still look so good at Fiorina's age? Must one make a pact with a crossroads demon? Perhaps a tucked-away magic painting a la Dorian Gray?

• Love 3

NOT to support any rightwing attack, but when I saw Hilary C. on TV this fall, I was amazed & envious at how smooth-skinned/youthful & attractive she (suddenly) appeared, & assumed she'd had some tweaks (that I wish she'd share!  Sorry, I'd like to find something easy & cheapish that works!  Anyone who loves wrinkles & sags can have some of mine!)  Maybe Hil was lit better at the debate than when she was Sec. of State??   And the shorter haircut is a definite improvement over her previous lank, shoulder-length locks, IMO.  Yes, this is all very superficial, but looks matter a lot to Americans (LIES not so much, apparently (deny, deny, deny, & then j'accuse, a la Ben Carson.))

Edited by telemachus2
  • Love 2

Not to be disrespectful, but this is kind of what I was talking about when it comes to criticism of Carly. I'm pretty sure Hillary has had some work done, too. You can't tell me she hasn't had - at the very least - Botox and fillers, and possibly something surgical. But I don't hear anyone calling her phony. And she has her own issues regarding the truth!

Editing to add that I'm not really pro Fiorina! It just seems that Hillary gets a free pass on so many issues, while Republican candidates are vilified in the press. As it stands, I don't know who I would vote for - I'm not really sold on any of them.

Hillary Clinton gets a free pass? Hillary has been savaged for everything from her hairstyles to her clothing to every word that has ever come out of her mouth for the better part of 25 years. Hell, even Chelsea Clinton was savaged about her appearance by that repugnant slug, Rush Limbaugh, and his ilk when she was just 13 years old.

Personally, I think appearance shaming in any form has no business in civilized discourse, including from comics who almost universally believe (or at least say they believe) that nothing is off-limits and anything is fair game. I don't agree.

As for Carly, well, I can only speak for myself, but I used to work in an industry that worked closely with executive management and the board at HP before, during and after her tenure there. Also, as a Californian, I endured her disastrous attempt at a Senate campaign here. While as a woman I can appreciate her career trajectory, in every other way I can say without reservation that not only should she not be the leader of a company much less a country, some days I'm not even certain she should be allowed out of her own house without supervision. Ok, just kidding about that last part, but in all seriousness there were very good reasons why she was fired from HP and hasn't worked in the corporate arena since. Since she's running on her business experience I'd say it would be wise to interpret that as a pretty big red flag on her claims of competence and qualification for the most powerful office in the world. The way she ran her California Senate campaign is another big red flag. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it was crazypants. Heck, even the McCain campaign back in the day basically fired her and pulled her from speaking on the campaign's behalf because she couldn't be trusted not to say false or damaging things. I don't care what she looks like or how she sounds or about her gender. I care about what she says and does and whether she's qualified for the job.

• Love 13

She isn't ugly, but the work done is obvious. So it was a little funny when she responded to Trump's rude comments by saying that this is the face of a 61 year old and I'm proud of every line and wrinkle.

How does Christie Brinkley still look so good at Fiorina's age? Must one make a pact with a crossroads demon? Perhaps a tucked-away magic painting a la Dorian Gray?

So much this!  Fiorina's comment made me LOL!  If she was so proud of them they would still be there!  

And Brinkley facial work has left her with perma grin, nothing moves!

There are lots of non invasive reasonably affordable treatments women or men can get to freshen their appearance without appearing obvious. 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 4

Not sure where to begin......so I'll start by saying that I'm a southern woman, conservative leaning, but I think I'm pretty open-minded. I don't vote party lines; in fact, in spite of the fact that I'm a registered Republican, I will be voting for the Democrat candidate in our upcoming gubernatorial election. What I don't understand is the disdain for Carly Fiorina, by the View hosts and by many on this board. I would truthfully like to know what it is that makes people dislike Her so much. Is it simply the fact that she is a conservative Republican and they/you are liberal Democrats? I don't like all Republican candidates, nor do I dislike all Democrats. (I would have possibly voted for Hillary if she had been the nominee in 2007, but not today) I thought the ladies were incredibly rude to Fiorina today, especially Whoopi with that "baby" remark. Carly would try to reply to their questions, but they would start talking over her until no one could be heard. It's like they despise her so much that no matter what she says, they would take the opposite stance. And it really does irk me when Joy plays the comedienne card whenever it suits her. As for the baby harvesting Planned Parenthood issue, what exactly is the truth, and according to who? I have seen and heard the tapes, and they look pretty damning to me. But I would like to know what is the truth and what is not. (Whoopi seems to think she knows!) Sorry this is so long, I'm just baffled and would love some input!

Carly was also quite disrespectful to The View hosts. The biggest problem with her is she has been caught in so many lies it makes her look foolish.

Im sure this post has already been answered by others but the reason I am responding is because of the bolded part.

The truth of the videos came out... they were edited to show Planned Parenthood in a bad light.. admitted by the group that put them together.... The video that shows an "abortion" was not filmed at Planned Parenthood..... and it was not an abortion. it was a late term miscarriage.

When it comes to the "harvesting of baby parts" That is just a Right wing term again  trying to make Planned Parenthood look bad..... What is actually going on is the mother is donating the fetal tissue for medical research.... the money involved was a reimbursement for the expense Planned Parenthood incurred......Now it is true what Carly said about Planned Parenthood not going to take money for these donations any longer.... her claim that they were profiting on it was incorrect.... they stopped taking money because of the made up scandal... not because it was illegal.

I just get tired of the misinformation.... and when they get called out on it they double down on the lie... Carly is quite good at that.

• Love 12

Just to add to what Roger said, in most states, selling and even donating fetal tissue is illegal.  So it's a made-up problem, not happening in most of the states served by Planned Parenthood.

I know this because one of my brothers is the CEO of Planned Parenthood in a very red state.  I don't envy him his job these days. (But I admire the heck of out of him.)

• Love 6

"Carly Fiorina has proven to be quite adept at selling derp as substance through the use of Serious Voice." Bob Cesca 

If you thought her appearance on The View was bad, you should've seen her on Meet the Press. Substance free and all self-righteousness. 

Her strategy seems to be to speak really fast and authoritatively (even condescendingly) and then it doesn't really matter if you're not making any sense.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 7

"Carly Fiorina has proven to be quite adept at selling derp as substance through the use of Serious Voice." Bob Cesca 

If you thought her appearance on The View was bad, you should've seen her on Meet the Press. Substance free and all self-righteousness. 

Her strategy seems to be to speak really fast and authoritatively (even condescendingly) and then it doesn't really matter if you're not making any sense.

She reminded me of Sarah Palin with all that rattling off of military ideas in the debate. "I'd hold exercises in the Baltic States" (NATO already has) "I'd strengthen the Sixth Fleet" (it's already very strong in keeping with its key geographic role) She just keeps going and going to project this air of confidence and authority. No deer in the headlights moment. It doesn't work as well on the View where the hosts can't resist interrupting.

• Love 5

The way she ran her California Senate campaign is another big red flag. Not to put too fine a point on it, but it was crazypants. Heck, even the McCain campaign back in the day basically fired her and pulled her from speaking on the campaign's behalf because she couldn't be trusted not to say false or damaging things.

Was hers the CA Senate campaign that stiffed all her employees and bills from vendors for several years, or was that Arianna Huffington's husband?

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember the McCain campaign saying "Carly Fiorina will now disappear..." after she questioned Palin's qualifications, and wondering if they were going to hire the Mafia to do it, LOL.

Edited by cheatincheetos

Carly was also quite disrespectful to The View hosts. The biggest problem with her is she has been caught in so many lies it makes her look foolish.

Im sure this post has already been answered by others but the reason I am responding is because of the bolded part.

The truth of the videos came out... they were edited to show Planned Parenthood in a bad light.. admitted by the group that put them together.... The video that shows an "abortion" was not filmed at Planned Parenthood..... and it was not an abortion. it was a late term miscarriage.

When it comes to the "harvesting of baby parts" That is just a Right wing term again  trying to make Planned Parenthood look bad..... What is actually going on is the mother is donating the fetal tissue for medical research.... the money involved was a reimbursement for the expense Planned Parenthood incurred......Now it is true what Carly said about Planned Parenthood not going to take money for these donations any longer.... her claim that they were profiting on it was incorrect.... they stopped taking money because of the made up scandal... not because it was illegal.

I just get tired of the misinformation.... and when they get called out on it they double down on the lie... Carly is quite good at that.

Thanks! Your explanation was very thorough and informative. It seems asinine to me that Carly would continue with her stance on PP in light of these facts.

• Love 3

Was hers the CA Senate campaign that stiffed all her employees and bills from vendors for several years, or was that Arianna Huffington's husband?

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember the McCain campaign saying "Carly Fiorina will now disappear..." after she questioned Palin's qualifications, and wondering if they were going to hire the Mafia to do it, LOL.

Yep, that's her. That campaign is also infamous for her completely wacko "demon sheep" ad slamming one of her rival republican candidates. Must watch all the way to the end.

http://youtu.be/rKWlOxhSIKk

• Love 5

Hey, merriebreeze, i saw Carly on meet the press yesterday too and loved how she WOULD NOT give a straight direct answerto Chuck Todd about her economic plan. She kept saying that I just told you. He got frustrated and said, ok so you dont have a plan. Carly was condescending as fuck, but he moved on.

• Love 5

I saw that too.....it was look at my site, it's on the site, that will explain it. I won't explain it here, in person.

Kinda like Trump saying he can't tell us his plans about foreign affairs because he doesn't want our enemies to know.

• Love 2