Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

So Dinah finally gets her own spot amongst the mannequins while they move Laurels aside and close it up basically symbolizing that they have moved on but she will always be part of the team and start their In Memoriam for fallen teammates big whoop. 

• Love 1

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble Guggs, but comparing the cliffhanger to TWD's cliffhanger isn't a way to get people to stay with you.  Lots of people may have tuned in to see who died on TWD, but then the numbers took a huge nosedive from there.  Personally TWD's cliffhanger was the final straw for me since I found it a cheap, blatant ratings grab that they had already done multiple times that season.  You've proven you like to pull that crap on Arrow too and I don't think people will always have the same level of patience.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

So Dinah finally gets her own spot amongst the mannequins while they move Laurels aside and close it up basically symbolizing that they have moved on but she will always be part of the team and start their In Memoriam for fallen teammates big whoop. 

I've got to say if this means we can finally move on from the WWLLD and the spectre of Laurels ghost hanging over everything I'm okay with it *shrug* 

I don't know that it's really going to be a story plot as much as it's going to be something they have in the background of scenes. 

4 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble Guggs, but comparing the cliffhanger to TWD's cliffhanger isn't a way to get people to stay with you.  Lots of people may have tuned in to see who died on TWD, but then the numbers took a huge nosedive from there.  Personally TWD's cliffhanger was the final straw for me since I found it a cheap, blatant ratings grab that they had already done multiple times that season.  You've proven you like to pull that crap on Arrow too and I don't think people will always have the same level of patience.

Yeah it's like LOST who kept killing somebody once or twice a season eventually it gets old and the audience lose all investment in what's going on. Plus Arrow sort of already did the everybody's dead cliff hanger in 3x22.

But whatevs it was a cheap ploy to give them a 'cliffhanger' while having absolutely no consequences for anything that happens next season unless they were to actually kill people. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I've got to say if this means we can finally move on from the WWLLD and the spectre of Laurels ghost hanging over everything I'm okay with it *shrug* 

I don't think we're ever moving on from that - like I just can't believe that with E2 Laurel coming on there aren't going to be comparisons. Likely with Oliver or Curtis or Felicity looking at the monument while talking about St. Laurel. I would be ecstatic if it were just going to be set dressing.

• Love 1

I'll be impressed if we haven't figured out who lives/dies/injuries/etc. once filming begins/with SDCC/etc. How many episodes will they have filmed by the premiere? 

7 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

It'll probably get worse with Black Siren around more as they compare the Laurels. 

8 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I'll be impressed if we haven't figured out who lives/dies/injuries/etc. once filming begins/with SDCC/etc. How many episodes will they have filmed by the premiere? 

Last season they were filming the crossover episodes around the time of the premiere

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't think we're ever moving on from that - like I just can't believe that with E2 Laurel coming on there aren't going to be comparisons. Likely with Oliver or Curtis or Felicity looking at the monument while talking about St. Laurel. I would be ecstatic if it were just going to be set dressing.

Well, it would make sense for Dinah to want to get to know the "real Laurel" considering that she's supposed to step into her shoes, but it would be nice if the show would stop pretending that Sara never existed. She did more for the BC legacy than this version of Laurel ever did. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Is it really a cliffhanger if there are literally no stakes like in Arrow? TWD  and GOT have killed main characters before but Arrow killed Laurel who was the most "disposable" of the characters left. I think the Moira death was probably the last time Arrow did anything that really surprised me. I mean other than surprised me with how dumb the characters act sometimes. People here even predicted the island blowing up. (still wanted a ?)

@strikera0, it's really Sara's legacy that Laurel followed. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

Well, it would make sense for Dinah to want to get to know the "real Laurel" considering that she's supposed to step into her shoes

Yeah, but that would've made more sense this year IMO - when she knew she was going to take on the name and insisted that she wasn't ready. That kind of indicates that she already knew about Laurel and felt like she couldn't live up to her ~legacy. Quentin already bestowed the name on her and she seemed to accept it, so anything more than that seems to be a drag. Which...I guess they'll probably do.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

Roy being alive after the prison stabbing surprised me.

2 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

It'll probably get worse with Black Siren around more as they compare the Laurels. 

Very likely. Both Dinah and BS get compared to What Would St. Laurel Do.  Thanks for the warning. 

25 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Roy being alive after the prison stabbing surprised me.

Very likely. Both Dinah and BS get compared to What Would St. Laurel Do.  Thanks for the warning. 

I'd tell them not to worry.  If you want to do what Laurel would, cross your arms and be judgemental while whining about your role in things. 

• Love 6

That looks closer to the comic Black Canary costume then Laurels. Once again the writers making it clear Dinah is the truest Black Canary to ever Black Canary.

Those look like there from a promo not a photo shoot so maybe they are doing a new Super Hero fight club kinda ad?

It actually reminds me of the nu52 Black Canary Costume (which I liked).  I've been getting the nu52 Black Canary vibe from Dinah since they gave us her backstory. Especially with the "dead" boyfriend who will most likely turn up alive, a Meta and possibly evil in S6.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hard to judge without seeing the full picture, but I think it would have been more practical if they had opted for a proper long-sleeved shirt underneath the costume instead of those long gloves. Even better if they had inserted some light fishnet patterns on the insides of her arms. And why did they change the mask? The one she had last season looked fine, The new one looks too bulky, IMO. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1

Is that a new mask? It looks the same to me. 

Pros: blacked out mask, sleek design, no buckles (so far).

Cons: short sleeves, it looks cartoonish (kind of like Curtis and WD).

I like it better than Laurels, I'm not sure yet if it beats Sara's. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LeighAn said:

That looks closer to the comic Black Canary costume then Laurels. Once again the writers making it clear Dinah is the truest Black Canary to ever Black Canary.

Those look like there from a promo not a photo shoot so maybe they are doing a new Super Hero fight club kinda ad?

lol which costume does it look like?

8271186_f520.jpg

It reminds me more of a Flash costume with the lines

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Is that a new mask? It looks the same to me. 

Yeah, I think it's the same one. 

I think the long gloves are dumb, but it looks better than buckles, buckles everywhere. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think the gloves look ridiculous, like veterinary gloves. LOL. They should've stuck with the leather jacket she already had tbh. Other than that, I think it looks okay? I'm not wowed or anything though. Sorry.

Edited by Angel12d
55 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I like it better than Laurels, I'm not sure yet if it beats Sara's. 

Much better than Laurel's dumb ass KC suggested crap. Not as good as Sara's IMO. They really tried with that one and it's (IMO) perfect.

• Love 3

I didn't hate it at first sight, as I did Laurel's, but it looks kinda meh. Maybe my reaction will get better when I see the full suit. It looks very cartoony. I still like Sara's the best, even with the heaving bosom. I am glad they're not going with the blonde look, though Tinah might want to style her regular hair a little differently (on second thought no one cares and no one notices).

• Love 1

It looks absolutely awful from that picture. The street look she had in 5x14 actually worked pretty well, they should've stuck with that. 

Both Sara and Laurel had better BC looks to be honest. 

I like Dinah but damn, that look doesn't work for her.

(edited)

I don't really love the suit tbh.I don't get the short sleeves and gloves thing,it seems so impractical and unnecessary and it doesn't even look good imo.They should have just given her a leather jacket,she already wore one all the time,you'd think it would be included in her costume too.They probably wanted something different since it's the third BC costume they've done.

It does seem more like rest the newbies newbies costumes,they all seemed lower quality and more cartoon-ish than the early costume designs.It is better than the buckles tho and I liked that her mask actually is blacked out to cover her face instead of showing off her make up so I guess that's an improvement on the last BC.

Curtis has the worst costume imo,it's just so bad and cheesy.I hate his jacket.

I wonder if they give WD a new costume as well,he kinda looks out of place next to all the leather in his current one.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 2

One word: meh. I was really hoping they would give her an upgraded version of Sara's BC outfit, but this one looks straight out of a cheesy 90's superhero flick. The Black Siren costume looks so much better, to be honest. Hopefully, the new BC suit will look better in action. I do like that they seem to be sticking with the brunette look, but for whatever reason, her hair appeared to have much better flow last season. They really need to go back to that style. 

47 minutes ago, Hiveminder said:

Does it look like Curtis's hair is just pulled back instead of intricately braided? I hope they stick with that. 

I read just that in one of Echo's interviews.  The braids are out.

(edited)
25 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

It does seem more like rest the newbies newbies costumes, they all seemed lower quality and more cartoon-ish than the early costume designs.It is better than the buckles tho and I liked that her mask actually is blacked out to cover her face instead of showing off her make up so I guess that's an improvement on the last BC.

Is the costume designer still the same person who designs the GA suit? Maybe their budget got cut because I agree the new suits look much lower quality. Even buckles didn't look as cheap as these. Maybe they are struggling to make them look distinct and not like a team uniform. 

Edited by leopardprint
2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Is the costume designer still the same person who designs the GA suit? Maybe their budget got cut because I agree the new suits look much lower quality. Even buckles didn't look as cheap as these. Maybe they are struggling to make them look distinct and not like a team uniform. 

Idk,I think I heard that the designer for the first two seasons was different but I'm not really sure.

• Love 1
(edited)

It reminds me of the Smallville Black Canary Costume.

I figured I should link to the picture. My memory was a little off. It's Really just the leather, zipper and Gloves :)

089adb18-3be2-4809-8ebd-bbaaa784fb18.jpg

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

Idk,I think I heard that the designer for the first two seasons was different but I'm not really sure.

I think it's still the same person. Marc recently mentioned that they sometimes make fun of their costume designer because she's had to create so many different versions of the Black Canary outfit. 

Edited by strikera0
1 minute ago, strikera0 said:

I think it's still the same person. Marc recently mentioned that they sometimes make fun of their costume designer because she's had to create so many different versions of the Black Canary outfit. 

How surprising. Maybe the continually more insipid costumes should give him a clue about this particular storyline. 

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

The gloves make her look like she's gonna head over to the barn after a mission and deliver a calf. 

I was thinking she can easily attend the opera after a successful mission.

• Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Is the costume designer still the same person who designs the GA suit?

The original GA suit was designed by multiple Oscar winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (she also did the first Flash and Supergirl costumes).  Maya Mani is the show's costume designer (from the start, iirc), she's responsible for everything that's come since.  I'm not a fan of hers, I think she gets it wrong way more than she gets it right.

I'm just sitting shaking my head that they didn't learn a darn thing after a season of the GA's sleeveless suit in wintry Vancouver.

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 12
(edited)

Thanks for the info, @JenMD, I think the original Arrow costume is probably the best "realistic" rendition of a superhero costume I've seen. The subsequent GA suits were still better than this new BC costume despite the short sleeves but that might have been the first sign they were going for a much stronger comic book aesthetic. It might just be a budgetary issue since the GA costume is the star. 

ETA:

It just occurred to me, where is her beloved wallet chain?

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, JenMD said:

The original GA suit was designed by multiple Oscar winning costume designer Colleen Atwood (she also did the first Flash and Supergirl costumes).  Maya Mani is the show's costume designer (from the start, iirc), she's responsible for everything that's come since.  I'm not a fan of hers, I think she gets it wrong way more than she gets it right.

I'm just sitting shaking my head that they didn't learn a darn thing after a season of the GA's sleeveless suit in wintry Vancouver.

I tend to agree. I think the only Arrow suits that looked really good were the first GA costume, Arsenal, BC version 1,0, Nyssa and Talia. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I like Dinah's costume based on what see thus far. We can't see the legs so hope it's not fishnets and shorts but full length trousers .

It looks kind of like a cross between Batgirl and Catwoman to me

Edited by catrox14
32 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I think Dinah looks awesome.

But this makes me sad that it likely means Curtis survived. I really wanted him dead.

Annoyingly I'm more worried about Diggle and Felicity than any of the newbies since it would be "shocking" ala TWD/GOT etc and they both have shiny new masks who can do at least some of their roles on the team though. I'm not sure they have the stomach for that though and it will just end up being recurrings and Chase. I'm dreading Samantha biting it and we get half a season of Oliver trying to single parent a kid he barely knows before sending him off with another relative though.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I'm dreading Samantha biting it and we get half a season of Oliver trying to single parent a kid he barely knows before sending him off with another relative though.

If Samantha does die, Oliver will get to wax eloquently about parenting while doing none of the actual parenting which will get offloaded on Thea and Felicity who will put their lives on hold as usual. 

Putting my tin foil hat on, I have unfounded, baseless, evidence free suspicions that MG's "storyline fans has been wanting for Felicity" is taking care of William not Smoak Tech, since some fans want Olicity to have kids on the show. 

I'm torn because Samantha is a truly awful character but I don't think a preteen who acts like a kindergartner fits on the show even as recurring. But then again maybe they just need more screentime to have actual personalities.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4