Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, pivot said:

I hope so. I was one of the 4 people who saw Keanu 1 and loved it.

I saw it in theaters because the cute kitten.  I loved the calendar with the cat dressed up.  It was really similar to the calendar I've had the last couple years, except that the kittens are more willing models than the grumpy black cat in the ones I have.

• Love 4

Backing up for a minute, we all giggled here when Eva Marie Saint talked about working with Fred Hitchcock because I have never ever ever heard anyone call him that.

Also, Ava DuVernay could not be more stunning and I know it’s creepy but I really just want to gaze at her forever.

Nicole Kidman’s dress is way unflattering.

I’m happy for Jordan but I really was hoping Kumail and Emily would win.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 minutes ago, TV Mercenary said:

It just hit me that Kobe Bryant and Jordan Peele both won an Oscar on the same night and I am having a really hard time trying to remember a time when two men of color won separate Awards on the same night for two separate projects at this sort of level of entertainment acknowledgement in film which makes me stupid happy.

It happened at last year's Oscars. Mahershala Ali and Ezra Edelman won. Not to mention Moonlight winning Best Picture

Edited by double-elvis
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Chas411 said:

Evrytime I've heard this song sang live its butchered.

Have you seen the video of when they were presenting before the movie backers to see if they wanted to make the movie?  It was the first time she had sung it before a group of viewers and she killed it.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 minute ago, Alexis2291 said:

I’m probably not much older than Zendaya (?) and I still don’t really know who she is...

Before I google her was she on American Idol?

NVM LMAO... I’m nearly a decade older, wow I thought she was older than she is, lmao

Edited by Alexis2291
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Evrytime I've heard this song sang live its butchered.

She seems out of breath which is surprising as the video of her doing it in the original work shop was great.  But I'm going to give it a pass because she's thinking "SHIT I AM AT THE OSCARS SINGING!" and  the audience was clearly supporting her through the end. 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

This song needs some dancing not just movement. 

Yeah, that's one of the reasons it was so powerful in the movie. Too bad Zendaya didn't stay on stage and cut a rug. 

• Love 1

Ha love all the people awkwardly standing up cos the others did. I'm one of those people who hate having to do standing ovations when they end up being on a continuous role.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Alexis2291 said:

I’m probably not much older than Zendaya (?) and I still don’t really know who she is...

Before I google her was she on American Idol?

She was in Spider-Man and was a Disney actress, I think.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Backing up for a minute, we all giggled here when Eva Marie Saint talked about working with Fred Hitchcock because I have never ever ever heard anyone call him that.

I caught that too. I never heard anyone call him that, so it really stuck out.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

So having now heard all five nominated songs, I gotta say...I liked the one by Sufjan Stevens.  Which guarantees he won't win because the song I've liked best in the last several years never wins.

And I see I'm going to turn out to be right on the Eddie Vedder appearance.

• Love 2

Okay I'm moved and emotional and that was amazing and they need to win I forgot because when I first heard that song it made me cry and it did it again that woman's voice is just gorgeous at her emotion is just so touching.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Broadway star and Tony nominee Keale Settles

Thanks -- I will take LIVE singing and maybe out of breath and nervous any day over pre-recorded sound tracks.  It had energy.  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 8
Just now, ProudMary said:

Others may disagree, but I really don't like ANY of the five nominated songs this year.  If I had to pick one, it would probably be "Stand Up For Something."

I love them a lot more than a lot of years, when there are usually one one or two decent songs.  I loved all of them.

1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

They listened to me. Thanks guys. 

Seems like all the dance performances tonight have been played relatively straight, in so much that unlike in years past, I've not witnessed any "Dancing Cigarette Boxes"-type overtly 'leggy' numbers.  Maybe they're growing up after all.

• Love 1