Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Crickets

So of course that the reaction to finding out that crickets are alive is to eat them. And we have an answer to why there's no other fish or animals: They're all dead. Or at the very least nowhere near Malibu.

So we find out what Todd's been hiding: A cooler full of bacon. I knew Todd was hoarding food, but...BACON?! Damn. And after eating 40 packs of bacon in the span of a few days, I'm surprised Todd didn't drop dead from heart failure.

Phil must want friendship badly enough that he'd lie about hoarding the bacon so he'd be in good graces with Todd. But I'm happy that Todd confessed and that they're in good graces again. In the stocks together because they're both asses for hoarding the bacon, but still.

Everyone else besides Carol? They suck. Especially New Phil.

At least we finally get a Tandy/Phil fight next time (and no surprise it looks one-sided)

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

So of course that the reaction to finding out that crickets are alive is to eat them. And we have an answer to why there's no other fish or animals: They're all dead. Or at the very least nowhere near Malibu.

Didn't we know that about the animals? Between Carol's desire to create fake meatballs because they would never have real meat balls again and the excitement over the one cow, I assumed animals were gone. I'm trying to remember what ingredients Carol used in the first few episodes. No animals makes more sense to me than no plants. 

I liked all of the stories this week. Carol and Erica bonding, Gail being way too excited to play surgeon, and Tandy and Todd bonding. It's a start to getting Tandy into everyone's good graces. Everyone else might be mad, but at least he now has a second ally.

Didn't we know that about the animals? Between Carol's desire to create fake meatballs because they would never have real meat balls again and the excitement over the one cow, I assumed animals were gone. I'm trying to remember what ingredients Carol used in the first few episodes. No animals makes more sense to me than no plants. 

Carol used raisins to make the fake meatballs, which is why everyone else hated them.

• Love 3

So, all of the canned goods they have are expired, but somehow pringles, saltines and squeeze cheese are still ok to eat.  It's only two years or so into the apocalypse -- I've probably got canned goods older than that in my cupboard now and they still haven't hit the expiry date.

Why haven't they gone to food warehouses to find more food (dried pasta for example), or found an army base to find skids of MREs  (which can last for over 10 years depending on what temps they are stored at) ?

So there are no animals (except for the cow) and no fish in the ocean -- are they ever going to explain that, because in addition to the cadavers of 7 billion people that should be scattered all over the place, there should be animal carcasses everywhere too.  These people are pretty much fucked in the long term.

Tandy continues to be the opposite of funny -- I wish new Phil would just push him off the cliffs into the sea below.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I like that they know when Tandy's lying.  I guess it's not difficult -- he lies like a six-year-old, no finesse at all.  But I appreciate the "realism" of the crew not falling for his stories. 

Yep, pasta, dried beans, peas, lentils -- dried everything, ramen noodles, Kraft mac and cheese! 

• Love 4

I liked that they didn't believe Real Phil's story about the bacon, and did believe that Todd had done it. And I liked that they put them both in the stocks at the end. But I couldn't believe that they'd be in southern California and not think "hey, some houses probably have solar panels" when they first got there and were looking for a place to live. 

Not sure about the group - I still hate them, and I'm not sure this development salvages them enough to make me want Real Phil and Carol to stick around with them. If they realize how much of a jerk New Phil is next week, maybe.

• Love 2

Enjoyed this episode SO much better than last week's. Liked that Gail and Melissa finally got to do something, like drunk Mary Steenburgen. Usually they just get to stand around with their arms crossed (and still got to do that this episode, unfortunately!) Love Tandy's bacon face--yes, that is the face you would make if you hadn't had bacon in two years.

• Love 1

But I couldn't believe that they'd be in southern California and not think "hey, some houses probably have solar panels" when they first got there and were looking for a place to live. 

I'm pretty sure none of them are firing on all cylinders. None of them, even newPhil, seem very practical and I'm sure the trauma of being alone for years at a time did a number on cognitive processes and common sense. In the bigger story, I would hope they move from solar paneled house to solar paneled house, but production wise it's probably too great a cost.

Edited by Lawgiver
  • Love 2

Loved this ep. Phil making the whine/wine joke and then the sound of crickets was fantastic.

Phil is so sweet trying to be nice to Carol by being the first one to agree to eat her cricket... stew? Carol with bugs in her teeth was hilarious. 

The second time Carol was making crickets, Phil said he didn't want any then (because he was going to go eat bacon) but added to save a plate for him. What Carol said next was very funny, but I didn't catch one word -- ""What do you want? ___, wings, thighs, face?"

I understand Phil's weakness in eating bacon alongside Todd. I think one motivation was to bond with him and make a friend rather than go behind his back and tattle. I'm glad Todd finally made friends with him at the end.

Loved Carol saying, "Oh, for Pete Sampras!" Oh, and her also saying that the cricket juice tasted good because it tasted just like chicken juice. 

I liked that we see that Carol has bedazzled her Melissa shirt. She just couldn't stand it. I'm also glad Erica finally saw the light. I was getting tired of her bitchiness toward Carol.

Gail being so excited about sewing up Melissa's finger was great. I also liked hammered Melissa.

• Love 2

Loved this ep. Phil making the whine/wine joke and then the sound of crickets was fantastic.

The second time Carol was making crickets, Phil said he didn't want any then (because he was going to go eat bacon) but added to save a plate for him. What Carol said next was very funny, but I didn't catch one word -- ""What do you want? ___, wings, thighs, face?"

The execution of him out looking for crickets later and telling another bad joke (which I can't recall at the moment) only to silence was fantastic as well.

"Breast" was the missing word. I wonder what "Chefs Choice" ended up being.

By far my favourite line, though, when Phil was covering for Todd, "I pointed a gun in his face. You know, I do that sometimes."

• Love 2

I liked this episode more than the last few, but I still want Phil1 to go back to wrecking shit up. I want to see the whole crew playing car bowling and setting stuff on fire. 

I liked all of the women this episode. I loved that Carol finally told Erica to take it up with Phil2 and that they don't have to be jealous bitches who fight with each other while letting the men do whatever they want. I loved that Gail is dealing with the apocalypse by just being drunk all the time. 

Phil1 lying for Todd was great, as was both of them in the stocks at the end. I kinda like that the group is dealing with all problems by giving the offender a time out. 

• Love 1

Ugh....Tandy just stop.  I'm surprised that it didn't blow up in his face more than it did.  I figured they would just forgive Todd for the time being and punish Tandy for not coming forward quicker.

I'm confused about new-Phil continuing to hit on Carol.  I thought it was established that Carol and Tandy got re-married during their time away from the gang, am I wrong?

I'm confused about new-Phil continuing to hit on Carol.  I thought it was established that Carol and Tandy got re-married during their time away from the gang, am I wrong?

No, you're not, and Carol should be telling New-Phil to back off.   The problem is that she's too nice to do it in a way that he'll understand.

• Love 2
I liked all of the women this episode. I loved that Carol finally told Erica to take it up with Phil2 and that they don't have to be jealous bitches who fight with each other while letting the men do whatever they want. I loved that Gail is dealing with the apocalypse by just being drunk all the time.

The only thing is when Phil first met Erica and Gail, he kept them a secret and did not tell them he was married.   They were going to to skinny dipping together, but then found the other group and Phil's plan was spoiled.   Carol acted like a total bitch to Gail and Erica though they really did nothing wrong since Phil lied to them.  They also were disgusted when they found out he was married.  So, Carol is being a bit of a hypocrite here.

• Love 1

No, you're not, and Carol should be telling New-Phil to back off.   The problem is that she's too nice to do it in a way that he'll understand.

I think "no" should be enough.  Carol left him, chose Tandy and has refused his advances.  Getting new Phil to understand isn't her responsibility.

So, Carol is being a bit of a hypocrite here.

A bit.  Or maybe live and learn?  Either way, I do like that she confronted Erica and that Erica heard her. 

• Love 1

The execution of him out looking for crickets later and telling another bad joke (which I can't recall at the moment) only to silence was fantastic as well.

It was something along the lines of "chicken gives you salmonella, but salmon doesn't give you chickenella."

• Love 2

After finally watching this episode, all I can say is that I will probably never, ever eat bacon again as long as I live.  I could feel my cholesterol and sodium levels hitting the stratosphere even as I watched (and I could taste every oversalted bite of the stuff -- ick!).

• Love 2

One thing did bug me: With all the bacon they'd been cooking and eating, you'd think the group would've noticed that Phil and Todd would've reeked of bacon scent. I don't take Phil or Todd to be all that concerned with hygiene, so you'd think their breath would've smelled like bacon, if it wasn't already on their clothes.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 4

Another brilliant episode, it was great to see Tandy lord it over Todd, I just knew his secret had to be food related, I also thought Tandy going along with the secret bacon feast was so true to character. The drunk Gail was hilarious, there is a lot of comedic potential there, Erica confronting the new Phil was good too, I personally don`t get too hung up on the logic of the whole end of the world thing, I just accept that the world only has a handful of people living in it and enjoy the interaction among the group. I am glad to see Tandy and Todd bonding, they have so much more in common with each other than either of them have with the new Phil. This is easily my favourite show and I can`t wait to see how things develop next week.

It does beg the question why they aren't already planning to take a more nomadic stance anyway. They should be making note of where they find houses with solar panels that might still have viable resources inside they can pillage. Once they've used up Malibu, go elsewhere.

I mean, Malibu's a way better choice for settling than Tuscon was but the one thing Tuscon had going for it was a plethora of solar-paneled roofs to choose from, which Malibu also has. But my bigger point is the lesson here is: there be freezers out there.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

One thing did bug me: With all the bacon they'd been cooking and eating, you'd think the group would've noticed that Phil and Todd would've reeked of bacon scent. I don't take Phil or Todd to be all that concerned with hygiene, so you'd think their breath would've smelled like bacon, if it wasn't already on their clothes.

Phil's beard for sure should have reeked of bacon.

• Love 2

I thought this episode was pretty good

In general I would enjoy it more if the others did more or had more stories than just hating on tandy though

I do wonder if they plan on planting food? Gardening? Its better than eating crickets

• Love 2

Hulu is now making me wait 8 days to watch FOX shows, so I'm late to the party.

As I had mentioned in the thread for the previous episode, I had been right on the edge of giving up this show.  But this episode was much better, so I'm back in for the nonce.

I liked that we see that Carol has bedazzled her Melissa shirt. She just couldn't stand it. 

LOL, she did?  I didn't catch that.

I do wonder if they plan on planting food? Gardening? Its better than eating crickets

I hope so too. When NuPhil arrived in Tuscon, he chided them for picking such a poor location due to it being bad farm land, IIRC.

If New Phil is making trips to Home Depot, they shouldn't be hurting for beef jerky. Isn't that the whole point of beef jerky? It keeps for a really long time and is easy to transport?

If New Phil is making trips to Home Depot, they shouldn't be hurting for beef jerky. Isn't that the whole point of beef jerky? It keeps for a really long time and is easy to transport?