Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Oolong Slayer

• Start Topic

I just have to love Jake & Holt going behind their awful bosses to solve a crime together. And Gina was actually useful here!

"He's back to his cool-ass ways."

Fat Terry is awesome. We've only seen him in flashbacks, but seeing him in action was amazing.

And here I thought The Vulture & Wuntch couldn't be more terrible, but then they start working together and formed an unholy douche alliance. Either way, I'm glad Holt is back with the Nine Nine, there's just so much douche that you could take for so long before you get annoyed by it.

• Love 1

Loved this episode. So great to have Holt and Peralta working together, and I thought Gina was great with them. So, so glad that Holt is back at the 99. I've missed the dynamic of Andre Braugher with Andy Samberg.

Amy and Rosa were awesome together, though I missed the Jake/Amy interaction. 

Charles and Terry were great together, as well.

I love that they can mix up the pairings of the case so effectively.

Edited by bethy
  • Love 5

Yay! Holt is finally back.  I didn't think I could stand him being gone much longer.  Double Yay for the Vulture being gone.  I hate hate hate that character.  Plus I think the actor plays him wrong.  I think he plays the Vulture just like the guy from the insurance commercials and they suck too.

I think fat Terry is awesome too.  I was taking a drink when I looked up and saw him and really did a spit take.  I love that Boyle is looking after him.  I think Boyle is a great character.

I was so excited at the end when it seemed like Gina wasn't coming back but then....there she was.  What a let down.

• Love 5

The sideplot with the Vulture's birthday party didn't really go anywhere all that interesting, but the rest of the episode was fun.  Jake and Holt working a case is always a good combination.

• Love 1

I had faith that the show wasn't going to drag out Holt being away for long, so I'm glad that I didn't have to eat my words, and he is already back in the Nine Nine!  And I thought they did it the best way possible, by having him work a case with Jake, they solve it, but instead of taking credit for it, Jake uses it to bargain with the Commissioner.  Because, while catching a serial killer was his dream since he was four (ha!), is still doesn't compare to the respect Jake has for Holt.  I can totally buy that Jake would sacrifice that for Holt. Loved it, and how it is just one of the many reasons why the Jake character is better then a lot of goofy leads in sitcoms.

I wouldn't be surprised though if both Wuntch and The Vulture come back somewhere down the line, and try to fuck them over again.  Neither one of them strikes me as someone who are going to like that they were beaten.  If anything, it will probably push them two together, which kind of terrifies me. 

The return of Fat Terry!  It was obvious that the eating was over stress, but I still enjoyed it, and seeing the Terry/Boyle interactions. And Boyle did find the best solution for that as well.  I do wonder if they are going to magically have Normal Terry back next episode or not.

The stuff with The Vulture's birthday party was filler, but I loved it for finally getting more Amy/Rosa stuff.  I really want to see more of these two together, because they are awesome.  The actresses are great together.  I loved how flattered Amy was when Rosa was like "That's stone cold.  Next time I want to really hurt someone, I'm calling you!", about their plan.  I hope we get more of that in future episodes.

So, along with Jake using the Holt voice at home, we now know that Jake apparently finds it hot when Amy act like his teacher.  They do have quite an interesting relationship!

• Love 6

I think they are handling the Jake/Amy relationship PERFECTLY.  We know it's there but it's not the center of every episode...we haven't even seen them interact for a while.  It'll have a much longer shelf life that way.

Anytime I get Jake and Holt interacting, I'm happy.  Loved it when they called each other "Portner".  Loved Jake's gasp of glee when Holt was equally excited about the "very cool...I mean, very awful" serial killer.  And Jake's "So that's what a globe is for!"

And sweet Amy's, "Someone else please see him so I can stop pinching myself!" when Holt returned. hahaha

• Love 9

I agree with Mama No Life.  Very creative how they have a tiny mention of the Jake-Amy relationship within the episode, and that's it for now.

I thought it was so sweet when Jake kissed Gina on the forehead.  Gina: "Noooo... Pay your bill!  Who raised you?"

The Vulture holding a baseball right smack in the middle of postseason.

Gina's entrance with the confetti.  "Or was I never really gone?"

• Love 8

Awesome ep. I'm glad the Vulture is gone, but I found every single line of his hilarious. His character was the worst in the best way. "It's a figure of speech, Detective Stupid-ahgo." His favorite color is under-boob. Of course it is.

Rosa: Just when I thought he couldn't be any more the worst, he out-the worst's himself.

And then Terry. Love his talking in the third person. Loved him loving the nibs. (I must try them.) And then getting fat.

Terry: Case closed. What time is it? That's right. It's nib o'clock.

Terry: Now I feel objectified by your male gaze!

As Charles goes on and on, Terry says, "This preamble is making me nibby."

Charles: Hitchcock offered massage sessions for your wife ---
Terry: What!?
Charles: --- So I pepper-sprayed him.

Of course best of all was Peralta and Holt. I absolutely loved when Holt went into the mens room, heard the bird call, found Jake in the stall, and just immediately entered and closed the door.

Jake: Looks like we've both got a pretty bad case of jerk-boss.
Holt: Yes, yours is an idiot and mine is a fork-tongued lizard witch.

Holt: Wuntch can probably hear us right now. She has super sonar hearing. [pause] She's a bat.

(I just love that he adds "She's a bat," as if we didn't get what he meant. He's awesome!)

Jake: Arrested in '84 for torturing an animal? Oh, this is our guy. Oh man, just a squirrel?

Holt: Still counts.

Loved Gina's 'entrance' with the confetti.

• Love 12

Eh. Poor episode. Some good bits, but something felt off with it.

I'm not unhappy that the Vulture is gone. I like the character, but he's best used as an occasional vile presence, rather than as an actual authority figure. Love the unimaginative, 'can't be bothered' nature of his insults. 'Stupid-ago', 'your butt is stupid'.

Meanwhile, Holt's rather more thought-out, yet no less juvenile insults of Wuntch continue to amuse me. It's all in Andre Braugher's delivery. I'm glad he's back as captain now, because seeing him as the trodden on underdog just didn't really work. I like the way they've built his relationship with Jake. You can see that Holt actually enjoys his company, even playing into some of Jake's silly jokes and fantasies. I guess it's those little opportunities for Holt to say or do something just a bit carefree and childish. Jake seems to bring out that freer side of him.

I didn't care for the Fat Terry story. It felt too cartoony, even for this show. He puts on that much weight in the days that this episode covered? No, not buying it. It was amusing, but not funny enough for me to disregard the silliness. If they wanted this storyline, they should have devoted multiple episodes to it. As it is, it felt like someone said, 'wait, what are we going to do with Terry and Charles in this episode?'

I liked seeing Amy and Rosa work together, but the payoff was lacking. So they have to throw the Vulture a birthday party, they hire him to play it with his band and... what? Why was that 'evil genius'? Still, Amy's terror of disobeying orders and being the squarest nerd in the world are always nice. Of course her party wouldn't appeal to the Vulture. How could he ever think it would?

Gina was shit again. It's all very well just popping up for one-liners, but when the one-liners aren't remotely funny or delivered well, then what's the point?

• Love 1

I agree with Mama No Life.  Very creative how they have a tiny mention of the Jake-Amy relationship within the episode, and that's it for now.

I thought it was so sweet when Jake kissed Gina on the forehead.  Gina: "Noooo... Pay your bill!  Who raised you?"

The Vulture holding a baseball right smack in the middle of postseason.

Gina's entrance with the confetti.  "Or was I never really gone?"

The forehead kiss was my favorite bit. I also had no idea what Gina was getting at. I thought it was hilarious.

• Love 3

The more I analyse it -- Jake/Gina's friendship mirroring the fact that Andy and Chelsea were also actual childhood friends -- the fact that Gina knows how childlike Jake is and was trying to lead him to make the right conclusion on his own, instead of out-right telling him -- it just gets more and more funny.

I mean to think that Gina could actually have been saying -- "Aren't you forgetting something?  Please kiss me on the forehead" -- hhahaha

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6

I like the Vulture but not as their Captain. Didn't work as well, I thought. And I can't stand Wutnch. I liked her character initially but now it seems played out. I hope we don't see her for a long time. The rest of the show was brilliant. I loved when Holt posed for the selfie. Still being Holt, of course.

• Love 5

"Am I the only poster that is not a fan on Dean Winters?"

No, you certainly are not! I hated the Vulture. The Vultures rudeness wasn't funny to me at all and I am glad we have hopefully seen that last of him.

Wutnch was funny at first, but she too has just become an awful one-note character. At least the names Holt has for her are amusing.

Holt is back!!!!!!

My favorite line, and there were many good one's in this episode "I think this is where batman's parents died"

• Love 2

Funny episode, my favorite of the season, so far.

Joining those who are glad the Vulture is gone. I love me some Ryan O'Reilly, but a little of the Vulture goes a long way. 

Loved Terry telling everyone about how he's conquered the nibs, as they're leaking out of the bottom of his bag. 

Holt has no sense of humor and yet is maybe the funniest character on TV right now. 

• Love 3

Funny episode, my favorite of the season, so far.

Joining those who are glad the Vulture is gone. I love me some Ryan O'Reilly, but a little of the Vulture goes a long way. 

Loved Terry telling everyone about how he's conquered the nibs, as they're leaking out of the bottom of his bag. 

Holt has no sense of humor and yet is maybe the funniest character on TV right now. 

No sense of humor? But he is the funniest person Kevin knows! ;)

• Love 8
"Am I the only poster that is not a fan on Dean Winters?"

No, you certainly are not! I hated the Vulture. The Vultures rudeness wasn't funny to me at all and I am glad we have hopefully seen that last of him.

Wutnch was funny at first, but she too has just become an awful one-note character

Ditto.  So glad both storylines are done, and Captain Holt is back at the 99.  

• Love 1

I am so, so happy that Holt is back! The Vulture was funny the first time we met him but not this round. He's a character that is just too much asshole for me. I was disappointed at how the birthday planning plot ended. I absolutely loved Jake, Gina and the captain working together. I like the fact that Jake in season one probably would have taken all the credit for the bust but now he is all about sharing it. I love when shows have their characters grow and learn. I love that they aren't shoving Amy/Jake down our throats. It's being handled very nicely. 

I had faith that the show wasn't going to drag out Holt being away for long, so I'm glad that I didn't have to eat my words, and he is already back in the Nine Nine!  And I thought they did it the best way possible, by having him work a case with Jake, they solve it, but instead of taking credit for it, Jake uses it to bargain with the Commissioner.  Because, while catching a serial killer was his dream since he was four (ha!), is still doesn't compare to the respect Jake has for Holt.  I can totally buy that Jake would sacrifice that for Holt. Loved it, and how it is just one of the many reasons why the Jake character is better then a lot of goofy leads in sitcoms.

The return of Fat Terry!  It was obvious that the eating was over stress, but I still enjoyed it, and seeing the Terry/Boyle interactions. And Boyle did find the best solution for that as well.  I do wonder if they are going to magically have Normal Terry back next episode or not.

Jake (and Holt) still know that he caught a serial killer, even if Jake doesn't get to boast (although I'm sure he'll tell Amy).  Dream fulfilled!

This being a sitcom where arc plot-points (Jake and Amy, Rosa and Lucas, Terry and his kids) are continued but minor ones are not, I'm positive we'll see Normal Terry next week (already aired but I haven't seen it...)