Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Actually I was referring to both the phone call and Anna's mention of Faison.  Coincidence? 

I love creepy Faison, but they've been to the well too many times with him.  The "hidden in the stable floorboards at Windemere for a year" pretty much finished off my enjoyment of Faison as villain on this show. 

Whatever happened to Paul's daughter?  Wasn't Paul blackmailed by Faison for required medication for her?  I don't even remember her name. 

I think her name was Susan?

I don't think they're going to bring Faison back. I think the only person really interested in him was Ron, and Frank said it's expensive to fly him over to the U.S., so I don't see him back.

Looks like maybe Kristina will get a chance to do something else besides bend the knee to Sonny after all:

• Love 2

I like new Paul Hornby. It was funny when he was on the phone I noticed all his crinkly lines arounds his eyes like normal people and he looked great. That said, no woman would be allowed to look like that or be cast.

• Love 2
I like new Paul Hornby.

The actor isn't bad but the character - not so much.  Paul's goal to the public (Dante et.al.) - "I'm going to get who shot your Dad".  Why not just lock up his father?  He's in the same profession as Julian. 

The editing of the Chinese restaurant scenes was so off.  Grandma would be talking for five times as long as the words that were translated.

Does the guy playing Jake get payed a salary?  If so, he should return whatever he received yesterday.

• Love 4

The actor isn't bad but the character - not so much.

Pretty much this.  Richard Burgi is good, and admittedly good at this type of thing, but since his reveal as the Anti-Sonny, my interest in Paul has plummeted.  All the "ironic" double-talk dialogue he keeps getting isn't helping matters either.

• Love 4

Actually I was referring to both the phone call and Anna's mention of Faison.  Coincidence? 

I love creepy Faison, but they've been to the well too many times with him.  The "hidden in the stable floorboards at Windemere for a year" pretty much finished off my enjoyment of Faison as villain on this show. 

Whatever happened to Paul's daughter?  Wasn't Paul blackmailed by Faison for required medication for her?  I don't even remember her name. 

Yes, Anna was referencing that Paul was reluctantly doing Faison's bidding back in 1991 during the cartel storyline.  

Paul's daughter, Susan, was inflicted with this poison -- she'd die unless she got the antidote every month.  Faison inflicted Tiffany with the same poison, which Robin almost drank. 

And a permanent antidote was developed ..... wait for it .... at General Hospital by Tony Jones. Damn, back in the day when the hospital meant something!!

Susan's screen time ended when Susan's purpose as a pawn in the cartel ended. Jenny, Paul, Susan, and Jenny's nephew Sly just faded away in late 1993, early 1994.  Sly would come over and visit his cousin Lucky, but then he just stopped coming around.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 1

I remembered another reaction from my sister. She wondered why nearly every character shown yesterday was related to the mob when the show is supposed to be about a hospital. She was like, 'Are there only two characters that work at the hospital?' She gets it. I'm so proud lol!

• Love 5

Shout out to the writer who had Sam tell Jakeson "It feels like he's [Jason] right beside me." That was super clever. Sam unknowingly fake marrying her dead now alive husband was captivating. LOOK AT THIS GOOD WRITING ON DISPLAY!

So Jason AND Jake married Sam. Damn. Liez just can't catch a break. She should kill herself. 

I hope Paul causes as much damage to Ava and Sonny as possible before he ends up at the Pine Barrens.

• Love 6

Because this show owes me

I'm honestly not trying to be difficult here. But this is one statement that I just don't get. The only thing they owe us, is to put on a good show.

Granted-they aren't doing that. Saying that a character has to stay because the show owes you, though, is why show brass shouldn't listen to the audience. Because no offense-but I don't think any one viewer is more important, or more deserving, than any other viewer. I don't even think it matters if one viewer like me, who has watched off and on for several decades, is up against someone else who has watched just a few years or even months.

Simply put-we all have different tastes. And if we all took the idea that a character must leave or go because the show "owes us", it would be chaos. You like Ava-I think she's the human form of a cockroach. I don't think MW is a great actress. I don't think Ava deserves to even continue existing.

So, if the show "owes" you, that means they owe me. And they can't please both of us. God knows I don't currently have anything on this show that I can point to and say the show did, just to make me happy.

If you had said you wanted Ava to stay because you think she's a great character, etc etc, well I can't really argue with that. I  don't agree-but we're all entitled to our opinions.

YMMV

• Love 2

Looks like maybe Kristina will get a chance to do something else besides bend the knee to Sonny after all:

Oh joy.  Another character connected to St. Sonny.

It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the Davis clan either.

• Love 1

It would be great if after Sam and Jakeson left Robert looked at his grandmother and said "you said you weren't going to pull that anymore" and the woman started cackling about how it always gets people to buy more if they feel sorry for the half-blind woman who keeps mixing people up.

Or if she tore off her mask and revealed she's actually Faison who's back in PC because Helena sent him a coded message via Craigslist saying "kill them all." /Manhunter

Or maybe Robert ends the ceremony by taking Sam and Jake aside and telling them not to stress--last week he "married" Hillary Clinton and Newt Gringrich when "the Hendersons over from Elm Street" came in for their weekly Szechuan Chicken.

I'd believe any of those scenarios over the dreck I saw today. 

That and, Sonny looking at Liz while he was crashing and yelling "This is it, Elizabeth! The Big One!"

• Love 4

I'm honestly not trying to be difficult here. But this is one statement that I just don't get. The only thing they owe us, is to put on a good show.

Granted-they aren't doing that. Saying that a character has to stay because the show owes you, though, is why show brass shouldn't listen to the audience. Because no offense-but I don't think any one viewer is more important, or more deserving, than any other viewer. I don't even think it matters if one viewer like me, who has watched off and on for several decades, is up against someone else who has watched just a few years or even months.

Simply put-we all have different tastes. And if we all took the idea that a character must leave or go because the show "owes us", it would be chaos. You like Ava-I think she's the human form of a cockroach. I don't think MW is a great actress. I don't think Ava deserves to even continue existing.

So, if the show "owes" you, that means they owe me. And they can't please both of us. God knows I don't currently have anything on this show that I can point to and say the show did, just to make me happy.

If you had said you wanted Ava to stay because you think she's a great character, etc etc, well I can't really argue with that. I  don't agree-but we're all entitled to our opinions.

YMMV

It was a joke, I wasn't serious. I don't actually think that my preferences are in any way catered to or utilized by TPTB. They couldn't care less about any of us.

As for Ava, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't like her, then FF. Yes, I do enjoy her and she is the reason that I'm still hanging on by the thinnest of threads known to man. I do think she's a great character, even though the writing for her has been seriously lacking a lot of the time. But I genuinely love MW, so there you have it. I don't have any illusions that she is a loved character, but I do know many outside of this board that appreciate her as well. *shrug*

Edited by tvgoddess
  • Love 11

I genuinely love MW, so there you have it. I don't have any illusions that she is a loved character, but I do know many outside of this board that appreciate her as well. *shrug*

And some on this board too :)

• Love 12

I've gotten to the point where whenever I see Liz I want to feed her to a hungry pack of wolves. I blame her for the story being dragged out this long. Is it rational? No. Is it satisfying? Most definitely.

You'll get your wish. This is not a spoiler. It's just that Carly has to find out some time and she is a hungry pack of wolves when it comes to Jason.

• Love 8

As for Ava, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't like her, then FF. Yes, I do enjoy her and she is the reason that I'm still hanging on by the thinnest of threads known to man. I do think she's a great character, even though the writing for her has been seriously lacking a lot of the time. But I genuinely love MW, so there you have it. I don't have any illusions that she is a loved character, but I do know many outside of this board that appreciate her as well. *shrug*

Ava should and could be a great character. Her original storyline with Morgan is one of the things that tempted me off the barge. She's amoral at best, immoral mostly. That can lead to good soapy drama. Her actions are on par with Sonny & Jason, no doubt about it, but she's the town pariah for it. I'm fine with that. It helps that MW is selling every stupid bit of story she's got and I thank her for that. Hell, if BM/KM/JT were really selling it I might enjoy the Carbon Monoxide House of Lost Love.

Well, maybe not.

• Love 5
Shout out to the writer who had Sam tell Jakeson "It feels like he's [Jason] right beside me." That was super clever. Sam unknowingly fake marrying her dead now alive husband was captivating. LOOK AT THIS GOOD WRITING ON DISPLAY!

They go on and on with thuddingly obvious writing like this, and as always, nothing happens afterward.

Ava should and could be a great character.

The writers always hedge their bets with characters like this, because they don't want someone like Ava to eclipse Sonny. So they make her ruthless but undercut that ruthlessness so Sonny can come out the "winner." And given Sonny's historic allergy to accepting consequences, even Crypt!Sex, something that both of them willingly participated in, becomes all Ava's fault. Of course, that's also TFGH misogyny at work, too, but it's mostly not wanting anyone to every best Sonny in any lasting way.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 10

At least Ava has a "job".  When's the last time Carly was at the MetroCourt?

When's the last time Carly's been anywhere not attached to Sonny's ass? It's been a while. I feel like the last month or two has just been Carly going on and on about how wonderful Sonny is despite that pesky cruel sadistic streak.

• Love 10

OMG, did he?!?!

*crosses fingers and toes*

Don't get excited - I didn't watch, just surmised from Francie's post. And the fact that people get murdered on the regular on this show lately.

According to twitter, yes.  Sloane got drunk, spilled the beans to Paul, gave Paul the key to a safety deposit box with the gun with Anna's prints, and then Sloane shot him for his troubles.

What in the blue dilly fuck was the point of those Noodle Buddha scenes? Seriously, I am a JaSam shipper and even I thought they were forced as fuck. But again, what.was.the.point???? Jake didn't remember anything new....so Sam decides she is ready to move on because hearing the vows made her realize that if Jason WAS alive nothing would stop him from coming home to her? Which is all well and good, except SHE SAID THE SAME thing months ago when Jake was recovering from surgery. Listen, writers. We are not as stupid as the characters you write for. Yes, we are insane and have a slightly higher than is normal attachment to a tv show, but WE ARENT DUMB. We remember things. And unless Jake pocketed those figurines, there was no point to any of that shit from the past 2 days. None.

And did Sloane really have ANna as his phone background? Dude, it's a good thing Paul plugged you, you had major issues.

• Love 10

According to twitter, yes.  Sloane got drunk, spilled the beans to Paul, gave Paul the key to a safety deposit box with the gun with Anna's prints, and then Sloane shot him for his troubles.

* does cartwheel down hallway*

Felicia: Bye, me!

• Love 4

Why would Sloane admit he helped cover up a murder and kept the evidence?

And how is that even evidence since there's no Carlos body with which to match the gun and the bullet?

They've ruined my all time fav character (Anna) and they're doing it in this blindingly stupid story which makes no freaking sense at all.

Also, Paul was never evil. uggggghhhhhhhh.

• Love 2

Paul's a hero!

lol at the "commissioner Devane gets commendation of excellence" plaque at the PCPD. I told you guys the cops solve all the cases on off-screen GH! I did like Anna and the cop extra greeting in the forefront, that's the kind of detail the show doesn't do too often.

Patrick's hair gets more triangular every day.

Are we supposed to be worried Liz will do something to Sonny? Did I miss something? As in, did I miss Liz doing something nefarious to Sonny that we're supposed to be worried? Why is she just standing there shooting him the crazy eyes?

And did Sloane really have ANna as his phone background? Dude, it's a good thing Paul plugged you, you had major issues.

She did look nice in that picture at least.

Yawn at Greenlee saying it's so refreshing to see Nik eating ribs. The "oh ho Nikolas is acting unprincely" routine isn't tired at all, writers! He was doing hip hop with Emily in 1999. (And that was TC's version even.) This is not a new thing! Please stop. Plus, Nik is getting bloated again.

No one wanted to tell Morgan about the emergency, heh. Okay, they didn't actually say that, but you know they were thinking it.

• Love 4
What in the blue dilly fuck was the point of those Noodle Buddha scenes? Seriously, I am a JaSam shipper and even I thought they were forced as fuck. But again, what.was.the.point????

My theory why soaps do this kind of thing all the time now? Because they no longer are about entertaining an audience, but about tricking them.  Writers basically troll instead of write. 

It started off in a misguided effort to keep viewers interested. Happy couples are boring couples, etc., was the sentiment. So the idea was to drag everything out. And then to misdirect. And now, all these misdirections and fake outs and drag outs have become the tail that wags the dog.  There's no actual linear storytelling anymore.

Yes, we are insane and have a slightly higher than is normal attachment to a tv show, but WE ARENT DUMB.

Hee, I love this. It fits me to a "t."

• Love 6

Did Paul kill people the first time around? Or is RC going by the logic "This person hasn't been around a long time, of course he/she can be capable of anything."

No to the first question, and yes to the second of RC just taking a name and slapping it on an entirely different character. I just described Shatterfield's (is that his name?) Paul as a Clark Kent type of guy, sans any possibility of being a super hero.  He was square. Totally square. The type who'd wear a suit everywhere. To his son's soccer practice. To a pool party. To bed.

The orginal actor even looked a lot, to me anyway, like Christopher Reeve.

He was an upstanding, boring, prudent, and square person.  He only did the bad things he did because his daughter had been poisoned and was chronically on the brink of death. Otherwise, he was the most boring, never even would jay walk, kinda guy you'd ever meet.

The man fell in love with Jenny Eckert for crying out loud!

The flavor vanilla would look at him and say, "you are SO plain!"

Edited by Francie
  • Love 6

No to the first question, and yes to the second of RC just taking a name and slapping it on an entirely different character. I just described Shatterfield's (is that his name?) Paul as a Clark Kent type of guy, sans any possibility of being a super hero.  He was square. Totally square. The type who'd wear a suit everywhere. To his son's soccer practice. To a pool party. To bed.

The orginal actor even looked a lot, to me anyway, like Christopher Reeve.

He was an upstanding, boring, prudent, and square person.  He only did the bad things he did because his daughter had been poisoned and was chronically on the brink of death. Otherwise, he was the most boring, never even would jay walk, kinda guy you'd ever meet.

The man fell in love with Jenny Eckert for crying out loud!

That's why the American culture is so damn messed: they will only watch messed up people, killers, anti heroes, villains. God forbid that anyone's moral failing is that he or she is too proper.

• Love 2

I love how Carly was waiting for Sonny to put the ring on her finger. He's in a hospital bed—meet him halfway!

The Floating Rib has overtaken Eli's for best ribs in Port Charles, I guess? Or does Eli's give Nik bad memories because of Four Musketeers meals?

Good grief, Sloane is a whiner. Maybe you should have thought how reneging on your deal with Anna would affect your relationship with Anna. Ugh. Praise Jasus he's dead.

No one wanted to tell Morgan about the emergency, heh. Okay, they didn't actually say that, but you know they were thinking it.

Can you blame them? Morgan would probably get so angry he'd strangle Patrick, and then who would take care of Sonny? Lucas? Dr. O? They've hit their minimums for the year.

LOL at Patrick's brushoff of Sam at GH.

• Love 3

Francie

No to the first question, and yes to the second of RC just taking a name and slapping it on an entirely different character. 

In other words Dillon is the perfect casting for Shatterfield's Paul.  That apple did not fall far from the tree, well sans the suits.  He really does not fit as Tracy nor NuPaul's son.  Not even like any other Quartermaine.

Edited by linsav
  • Love 1

That's why the American culture is so damn messed: they will only watch messed up people, killers, anti heroes, villains. God forbid that anyone's moral failing is that he or she is too proper.

Ha, fair point.  But can't Paul's moral failing be his infatuation with Jenny Eckert? 

• Love 3

I don't think that's true, not completely. It's usually writers and actors who usually want dark dark dark. How many times have people complained that "deep" movies aren't hits because they're too dark and depressing? imo, it's a lot.

I don't think Paul's problem was he was too good. I've seen some clips of the actor, and the man was just devoid of charisma, imo, and not particularly talented.

• Love 5

Can you blame them? Morgan would probably get so angry he'd strangle Patrick, and then who would take care of Sonny? Lucas? Dr. O? They've hit their minimums for the year.

"How could you, how could you, let let" [insert maniacal hand jabs] "let my dad's, my dad's, brain, how could you let it EXPLODE" [kicks the air]

• Love 3

I don't think that's true, not completely. It's usually writers and actors who usually want dark dark dark. How many times have people complained that "deep" movies aren't hits because they're too dark and depressing? imo, it's a lot.

I don't think Paul's problem was he was too good. I've seen some clips of the actor, and the man was just devoid of charisma, imo, and not particularly talented.

I would agree with this. I think it's more the writers and actors like Geary going "MOAR DARKNESS!" all the time. It's a bit much to ask of the audience five hours a week.

Especially when it's poorly written. This isn't exactly Breaking Bad ...

• Love 3

Can you blame them [for not telling Morgan about Sonny's setback]? Morgan would probably get so angry he'd strangle Patrick, and then who would take care of Sonny? Lucas? Dr. O? They've hit their minimums for the year.

And let's not forget he's currently watching Avery.  He probably would have spiked her like a football.

In other news, my bigger problem with the Paul story is that we just.  Saw.  This.  The Omega Big Bad hiding in plain sight as a "good guy".  With Julian, when everyone thought he was Derek Wells.  And with Fluke.  It's beyond boring.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 6

As for Ava, I don't know what to tell you. If you don't like her, then FF.

Oh, I do.

I find the fact that she can do things as heinous as Sonny, or more so-and get away with it, yet be cheered on, while people call for Sonny to die-to be odd, to put it politely.

Especially since she's just as much as fault for AJ's death as Sonny, as far as I'm concerned.

But yeah, I already ffwd her because I don't find her the least bit rootable or interesting. I'm glad you have something you watch for.

I wish I knew what that felt like. 

• Love 1
TeeVee329

4 minutes ago

And let's not forget he's currently watching Avery.  He probably would have spiked her like a football.

In other news, my bigger problem with the Paul story is that we just.  Saw.  This.  The Omega Big Bad hiding in plain sight as a "good guy".  With Julian, when everyone thought he was Derek Wells.  And with Fluke.  It's beyond boring.

This was MoRon ripping off the Mr. Big storyline.  Substitute Police Commissioner for DA and there you go.  Geez.

• Love 2