Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

I do really wonder what the audience feedback on Franco is like. I know he's probably not as hated as he is here but I'm curious if he really is bringing audience to the show cause of the Todd lite fumes or if FV really is just keeping him around cause he likes him.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7

*Warning: LONG ASS POST*

I think LW and DZ have been doing an overall fabulous job (and also, they are great together.) I'm liking a lot of their acting choices, so kudos to them, truly. When Carly plugged in Morgan's phone and his wallpaper appeared with a picture of himself and Kiki and when Dante told Lulu that Morgan was the first Corinthos he met, I felt it.

Mo and Maura have been good in spurts. I liked the moment when Sonny started crying when Carly said he killed Morgan and when Ava told Bobbie she did love Morgan. Maura can also be way over the top, so I like her quiet, more subtle moments

I'm not a fan of HE as an actress, so everything with Kiki and then with her and Dillon fell completely flat for me.

Chad was OK. I wish the writers would have allowed Michael to feel grief first before going completely angry and blaming Sonny. There's time for all this and no reason to rush the beats. And it was weird that Michael didn't go to Carly first thing, but instead went to go get days off work 'cause "Morgan's dead!" I think someone else could have told Tracy and Monica later. Or Michael could have had that scene with them later.

BM has been...blah. I won't even go on and on about it, though, because he's basically written to just stand in the background and have one-liners. It's weird.

I don't really have commentary on the characters and their POVs about Morgan and Sonny bc a lot of it is hypocritical and it won't last, anyway. But I love any day anyone is yelling at Sonny, so I'll take it.

On another note, those Sam/Liz/Franco scenes were atrocious. I understand the point is to make Franco look sympathetic and to move beyond the Franco/Jason/Sam stuff, but what truly annoyed me? The way this show continues to write and portray Sam and Liz together. Why is Sam overly nice to Liz, while LIZ is written to have attitude? It legit makes no sense. This isn't Becky's choices overall. This is in the dialogue. This is Sam coming in all pure sweetness and Liz having this edge to her, when it should be the other way around. LIZ should be the one asking SAM if they can all get along and be friendly after what Liz did. SAM should have attitude and almost not want to agree. That is real. That is soap.

• Love 8

Tracy, don't ever apologize to that loser  again. You said or did nothing wrong. He's just mad cause you're right. Jason is such a douche. Where's the poisoned gogurt when you need it?

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Tracy, don't ever apologize to that loser  again. You said or did nothing wrong. He's just mad cause you're right. Jason is such a douche. Where's the poisoned gogurt when you need it?

I think it was for Michael's sake; he's standing there devastated by his brother's death as she yells at Jason. Tracy knows what it feels like to have a brother die tragically. Michael knew Tracy's right, that's why he didn't get upset with her. He could have told her to stop - instead he said she's "just being a Quartermaine."

• Love 5

I like Olivia well enough, and I don't mind her with Ned.  But has there been even one scene of him checking on Alexis?  Are the enemies now and I missed it?  Everyone knows what she's been going through, but Ned's more interested in hooking up?  It just seems strange, somehow.  And Ned's in an awfully good mood for all the turbulence the Q's have been through.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I know Michael is blaming himself because it's what people do, but it's really aggravating to see him blame himself for not seeing Morgan's manic phase. Morgan was the only one responsible for his mental state. Gah.

I agree that Michael shouldn't blame himself, but I disagree on Morgan.  Until that final day, he took his meds promptly, went to counseling, had his blood drawn, etc.  He'd been reaching out and telling people something's not right, but they'd just pacify him.  His meds were sabotaged, and he's too new in this mental illness to be the only one responsible.  In essence, he had an untreated mental illness, while he thought he was doing everything right.  I find it kind of tragic.

• Love 6

I disagree. Everyone knew something was off. They asked him about his meds. The doctor said they would re-adjust. He didn't wait to see if anything was wrong. Maybe Sonny should have had him tailed or something. But no one was simply pacifying him.

ETA Woe betide all those who sincerely think Carly and Dante should/would have sex. I'm sure plenty of the stuff I saw was just joking but I'm pretty sure some were not WOE TO THEM.

ETA I'm re-watching to see the parts I missed and Lulu telling Laura she loved her and then telling Olivia "I love you too" got to me a bit. Now if only she could get a scene with Tracy somewhere. Laura/Tracy/Lulu and Lulu kind of navigating her relationship with both women is something I would like to see, but instead the show just tossed out Tracy/Lulu entirely, which is kind of crazy given what a significant relationship it was. Especially how much they are obsessed with Luke. 

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

But has there been even one scene of him checking on Alexis?  Are the enemies now and I missed it?  Everyone knows what she's been going through, but Ned's more interested in hooking up?  It just seems strange, somehow.  And Ned's in an awfully good mood for all the turbulence the Q's have been through.

Until that final day, he took his meds promptly, went to counseling, had his blood drawn, etc.  He'd been reaching out and telling people something's not right, but they'd just pacify him.  His meds were sabotaged, and he's too new in this mental illness to be the only one responsible.  In essence, he had an untreated mental illness, while he thought he was doing everything right.  I find it kind of tragic.

He's aware of what happened to Alexis. But I don't think he needs to spend time with her - she dumped him/they broke up because she was so in love with Julian. ELQ is in Q hands, since Nikolas is now dead.  Ned is checking in on his mother and brother and offering his support to them. Monica is recovering. Ned wasn't a part of anything at GH.

Morgan whined, took the blood work script from Andre but didn't go for blood work, decided he would buy a term paper, got caught cheating, and has done nothing but whine about life and that he has to take pills. Ava didn't sabotage his pills until after she and Julian goaded him (when he attacked Julian) at Kelly's. This is after he attacked Carlos' brother, Joe, at the Q mansion and was yelling about getting Sonny's people to find and take out the serial killer.  He's a jerk to pretty much everyone even while taking the pills. He's only nice if people tell him how awesome he is, he gets exactly what he wants, and is not held accountable for his mistakes. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, ulkis said:

ETA Woe betide all those who sincerely think Carly and Dante should/would have sex. I'm sure plenty of the stuff I saw was just joking but I'm pretty sure some were not WOE TO THEM.

Dante is taken by another woman if he strays again. Sorry.

16 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Dante is taken by another woman if he strays again. Sorry.

[Memorial Morgan Moment]I don't get it[/Memorial Morgan Moment]

As for sleeping with Carly, oh, yeah. "Carly, you treat me like an annoying pebble in your shoe, are my step-mother technically, tried to publically humiliate me at a wedding, hired my childhood friend to seduce me, in any way possible, including drug and assault if it came down to it, and once you thought you got my mom shot and lied about it.  But I'm so overwhelmed with grief, I must have you."

Not to mention Carly sleeping with Dante would be slightly less inexplicable than with Franco.

ETA oh do you just mean if he strays again it'll be someone not Carly?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

[Memorial Morgan Moment]I don't get it[/Memorial Morgan Moment]

As for sleeping with Carly, oh, yeah. "Carly, you treat me like an annoying pebble in your shoe, are my step-mother technically, tried to publically humiliate me at a wedding, hired my childhood friend to seduce me, in any way possible, including drug and assault if it came down to it, and once you thought you got my mom shot and lied about it.  But I'm so overwhelmed with grief, I must have you."

Not to mention Carly sleeping with Dante would be slightly less inexplicable than with Franco.

It's not gonna happen. 

Just like me wanting the show to test Dante and Sam will never happen.

2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

It's not gonna happen. 

Just like me wanting the show to test Dante and Sam will never happen.

lol I could see it sooner than Carly.

Also :side-eye:

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

lol I could see it sooner than Carly.

Also :side-eye:

If it makes you feel better, I wanted TPTB to test Dante and Robin at a certain point, too. This was when I liked Dante, though.

Just now, HeatLifer said:

If it makes you feel better, I wanted TPTB to test Dante and Robin at a certain point, too. This was when I liked Dante, though.

Hmmph, and I was just thinking I missed you a little while before you posted.

I like both Dante and Robin a ton but them together would have been adventures volunteering at the local charity gala or what have you. I do wish they had shared more scenes though.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Hmmph, and I was just thinking I missed you a little while before you posted.

I like both Dante and Robin a ton but them together would have been adventures volunteering at the local charity gala or what have you. I do wish they had shared more scenes though.

LOL, don't confuse what I'm saying, though! I'm not talking full-on relationship, endgame, proposal after 5 minutes. It could be close friendship, flirting, ONS (obvs couldn't work with Robin), teasing, etc. Just exploring different dynamics. I'm honestly tired of "solid" pairings on soaps. I haven't shipped in a very long time. All my couples started waaay back when.

5 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

LOL, don't confuse what I'm saying, though! I'm not talking full-on relationship, endgame, proposal after 5 minutes. It could be close friendship, flirting, ONS (obvs couldn't work with Robin), teasing, etc. Just exploring different dynamics. I'm honestly tired of "solid" pairings on soaps. I haven't shipped in a very long time. All my couples started waaay back when.

I know you know I didn't think that! :p Confession: when it became clear Lisa was around for Patrick to cheat with (so, day 2?), I thought Steven Lars was super cute and Robin and he were going to kiss or something and Patrick would freak out and cheat. I confess, I thought Scott Reeves was cute for about three months.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I know you know I didn't think that! :p Confession: when it became clear Lisa was around for Patrick to cheat with (so, day 2?), I thought Steven Lars was super cute and Robin and he were going to kiss or something and Patrick would freak out and cheat. I confess, I thought Scott Reeves was cute for about three months.

I used to love Scott, can't lie. Ryan and Victoria on Y&R were my jam!

• Love 1

I don't know if I was still emotional after watching This Is Us but the last two days have given me feels. Maybe it's the great acting as well. I felt Carly's anguish at losing a son, Dante and Michael losing a brother, even Ava losing someone she used to love. Even Sonny and Kiki were decent. I know Morgan is probably out there in some Helena clinic knowing this show's history, but this storyline is making me watch GH again.

• Love 6

LW, DZ, and CD have been doing excellent work. I'll even give MB some praise.

Not a fan of HE's acting. SHe was doing a little bit too much today. JZ played Bobbie...weirdly.

I have no use for Kiki (THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION! *Phoebe Buffay*), but damn, even I felt a little bad for her today. Ava really is one cold hearted bitch. I hope Kiki gets the chance to go the fuck off on her when she's finally exposed. 

I'm here for everyone going off on Sonny, even though I know it won't last. Carly should just set his house on fire with him (and Ava) passed out inside. I don't think anyone would be mad at her.

The Olivia/Ned and Laura/Kevin stuff seemed out of place.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

She was so cold and had little to no emotion. I don't know what was happening there. Her grandson was killed!

Bobbie was trying to be  there completely for Carly as an anchor or safe harbor, I think. If Bobbie had been extremely emotional, Carly might have lost it. Carly had had a very bad night according to Sonny, who probably emphasized that Carly needed calming down. Bobbie is a nurse, too, and could probably give Carly a sedative if needed. She could watch Carly's vital signs and even summon a doctor or ambulance if necessary.

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd

I wouldn't mind if the family abandons Sonny, Nelle inserts herself close to Sonny, Sonny falls for Nelle, Nelle leads Sonny on, She acts all chaste and says they can't have sex until they are married, Nelle basically takes all Sonny's money and then takes over his business, Nelle orders a hit on Sonny and while she is there she should order a hit on Jason and Franco too

Also I definitely NEED to see a scene of Jax coming and taking Joss to Australia permanently and barring her from ever seeing "uncle Sonny"

• Love 8

Ladies and Gentlemen, Laura Wright's Emmy Reel.

8 hours ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Tracy, don't ever apologize to that loser  again. You said or did nothing wrong. He's just mad cause you're right. Jason is such a douche.

And this is what is tempering my excitement for this storyline. Eventually, everyone will apologize to Sonny and make nice and like nothing will happen, because of the Jeromes. We've seen the reset button in play before, and it's a matter of when.

That said, everyone has been knocking it out of the park. Everyone. Even Maurice. (Well, Billy Miller is there, as a prop, to work off. That counts.)

I'm looking at the subplot in the background with Tracey barred from the sale talks. More Valentin intrigue? Maybe have a Paul redemption storyline that Valentin was using him with SuzieQ?

Did they plug "Doctor Strange" during all that with Ned and Olivia?

I lost track which hit was called off at the last minue: was it by Duke or by Julian? Because if it was Julian, then this whole fucking "Justice4Dewq" just came full circle, and I know Show will Sonnysplain it as Ava tampered with Morgan's meds, and Julian was behind Paul's throwing the trial and killing all those innocent victims (shhh, don't get specific on Dr. Mays. he was a victim!).

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

The Olivia/Ned and Laura/Kevin stuff seemed out of place.

Seriously. I actually liked all those scenes, but they just didn't fit in this episode.

Maybe I should go rewatch the Sonny scenes from the past couple days because I thought MB sucked but everyone seems to think he was at least semi-decent. I do think he can still do good work, but I don't know, he hasn't been working for me in this. His cry face/hand on his face bit at the end of yesterday's ep was laughable to me. But weirdly at the same time it did actually kinda work for me. I don't know!

Edited by peachmangosteen
4 hours ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

Bobbie was trying to be  there completely for Carly as an anchor or safe harbor, I think. If Bobbie had been extremely emotional, Carly might have lost it. Carly had had a very bad night according to Sonny, who probably emphasized that Carly needed calming down. 

The problem is, Bobbie wasn't emotional at all. JZ played it like Morgan died months ago or even more than a year ago and Carly won't accept it, get out of bed and start moving on with her life. Bobbie had a hint of a tear in her eye when confronted by Ava (a woman she doesn't even know) offering condolences, but no emotion whatsoever or trembling voice for her line about Morgan not coming home, at seeing her daughter in denial, at her daughter in tears asked Dante what happened.  Watching it made me feel like Bobbie hardly knew Carly and never met Morgan. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, NutmegsDad said:

Did they plug "Doctor Strange" during all that with Ned and Olivia?

Indeed they did. Watching those kinds of movies together it their thing.

36 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

His cry face/hand on his face bit at the end of yesterday's ep was laughable to me.

I always crack up at this. I can't help it. I'm sorry, Mo. 

• Love 3

When Bobbie said "snap out of it!" in that angry tone, I fanwanked that she was kind of annoyed because she, Bobbie, had lost BJ because of an accident and meanwhile Carly had married again to the man who hurt her family through violence.  But it was a fanwank that last for a moment only, alas.

The show kinda just messed up with Morgan. He really only had scenes consistently with Kiki, Sonny, Carly, and Ava. When he used to have them with Michael they mostly fought. His scenes with Carly and Sonny mostly consisted of him whining at them. His relationship with Kiki was never believable. Maybe if they had kept it as a friendship, but trying to say that Morgan was so in love with Kiki doesn't work. And he was certainly never Kiki's first choice. Just about the only person who liked Morgan for himself was Ava, and they haven't been friendly for a while. If you can only name one character who liked the other character, while I feel the characters' grief, I'm sitting here wondering, "yeah, but did any of you actually enjoy being around him?"

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 10

ulkis' post made me realize that Morgan does not have one friend on the canvas.  I mean, this show does a terrible job of friendships in general, but yeah, no friends.

ETA...oh gawd, if Ron was still writing, they'd probably trot out Alice as Morgan's BFF.  Yiiikes.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

ulkis' post made me realize that Morgan does not have one friend on the canvas.  I mean, this show does a terrible job of friendships in general, but yeah, no friends.

ETA...oh gawd, if Ron was still writing, they'd probably trot out Alice as Morgan's BFF.  Yiiikes.

Ha. I totally forgot about her. We haven't seen her for a long time. Did they ever mention her leaving the Quartermaines at all?

Also, what you said reminded me of this bit from Despair in the Afternoon

Meanwhile, Kiki’s loving boyfriend spent most of the last two episodes giving his sulky duck lips a work out while whining about how unfair it is that being a dick makes people treat him like a dick. I think my favorite thing about Morgan is how much everyone in his family knows what a loser he is. I mean, his mother’s pep talk involved telling him: 1) he’s a liar, 2) he’s not even a good liar, 3) nobody likes him:

CARLY: You’re so much like me, I don’t trust you right now.
MORGAN: You are being so unfair right now.
CARLY: I used to lie to anyone about anything and feel completely justified. And I was good at it. I was better than you — I was convincing! And you know what that got me? Nothing. I was an outcast and no one trusted me. Except for Jason. He was my true friend and there as nothing I could do that would push him away. You got a friend like that?

That’s just mean, Carly. You know Morgan doesn’t have any friends, much less a ride or die one. Come on.

hee.

https://despairintheafternoon.wordpress.com/2015/08/05/were-gonna-be-on-the-soup-again-arent-we/#more-19894

On another note, I know JZ can't do anything about her face, but maybe she can stop dying her hair magenta?

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

I wish that Molly and Morgan had some scenes together especially since Molly's bf is living at Chez Corinthos. They used to be so close as children.

The only time I remember them ever having a one-on-one scene with this Morgan was when Morgan was with Ava/working for the Jeromes and he was trying to get information from her about...something. 

FWIW, TJ doesn't live at Casa Corinthos anymore, he and Molly moved in together off-screen.

Michael: Mom’s upstairs, she doesn’t want to be disturbed. And dad stepped out, wanted to be alone.

Jason: I came to see you, buddy.

Me:

Untitled2_zps4ece0422.png

He's not 5 anymore Jason. He went to prison! Murdered two people! Had two girlfriends murdered! Stoooop.

And yes, two girlfriends murdered. You can't tell me crane didn't drop on Abby on purpose!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

When Bobbie said "snap out of it!" in that angry tone, I fanwanked that she was kind of annoyed because she, Bobbie, had lost BJ because of an accident and meanwhile Carly had married again to the man who hurt her family through violence.  But it was a fanwank that last for a moment only, alas.

For years Bobbie has pleaded with Carly to "snap out of it" and stay the hell away from Sonny before she or her children were further harmed by Sonny's lifestyle.  Michael has been shot in the head, been in a coma, went to prison and was raped because of Sonny.  Yet Carly can't/won't quit him.  Now the worst has happened, Morgan has been "killed".  There must be a part of Bobbie that wants to smack Carly in the face and say "You chose Sonny over the safety of your children for years.  This is the result.  Your child is dead because of your choices and you only have yourself to blame.".

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

Why do so many characters give Sonny props because he loves his children? This isn't a rare virtue. It is something that most fathers do.

It's one of the few positive things they can say about him. With Sonny, you have to set the bar very low.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, dubbel zout said:

It's one of the few positive things they can say about him. With Sonny, you have to set the bar very low.

dimples, loves children, and . . . what's the third one?

• Love 4

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day I wouldn't love Michael tearing into Kiki, but shut up, Michael.  You certainly didn't have any complaints when Kiki was making moves on you behind Morgan's back and when she broke up with Morgan to be with you.  That was some classic Sonny/Carly behavior Mikey was displaying and, of course, the Quartermaine (Dillon) gets the rock.  Bullshit.

• Love 15

Damn, Michael took a page out of Sonny's playbook with his treatment of Kiki. All that was missing was the flinging of barware. That was total asshole behavior and I'm glad he apologized for it. I still love Dillon and Kiki and I thought it was sweet how he just wanted to comfort her.

Props to the casting department for finding a kid who looks like she could be Claudette's daughter. This storyline is still beyond boring and pointless though.

What the hell was Nina wearing? She looked like she was going to leave Crimson and head to her second job at the blackjack table. Her conversation with Franco about kids was so unnecessary. Either give her a kid or give her something else to talk about. Stop rehashing the same shit over and over again without any forward momentum.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day I wouldn't love Michael tearing into Kiki, but shut up, Michael.  You certainly didn't have any complaints when Kiki was making moves on you behind Morgan's back and when she broke up with Morgan to be with you.  That was some classic Sonny/Carly behavior Mikey was displaying and, of course, the Quartermaine (Dillon) gets the rock.  Bullshit.

Hopefully though tomorrow he's a jerk to Carly though and tells her it's waaaay to late for her to start blaming Sonny for the violence. That if she wants to leave Sonny she can but acting like it was reasonable he was gonna change is ridiculous.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Hopefully though tomorrow he's a jerk to Carly though and tells her it's waaaay to late for her to start blaming Sonny for the violence. That if she wants to leave Sonny she can but acting like it was reasonable he was gonna change is ridiculous.

Sadly, given how quickly he shifted from blaming Sonny to blaming himself to blaming Kiki, he'll probably be begging Carly not to leave "his dad" tomorrow because they need each other.

• Love 2

I was annoyed that both Carly and Michael knew the password to access Morgan's voicemail. Then I remembered Morgan was dumb so it was probably just password.

I wish Kiki had been in the car with Morgan. She is cute with Dillon but it isn't worth watching her shriek and cry.

Nina and Franco talking about kids.. how many times are we going to have to listen to this conversation? Who stands around in their office chatting with their ex about kids they will never have? Nonsense.

• Love 4

Wow. I thought today was actually really, really strong.  No storyline on that didn't fall under the 'parent/child' theme running through the episode. Jordan/TJ, for the first time in MONTHS share a scene and Jordan being allowed to use the term 'romanticizing' in reference to how TJ viewed Sonny and that world. Jason finally, FINALLY, being useful in a scene and being the parent that S&C never are.

I thought HE was fantastic.  I bought Kiki's breakdown, her grief and guilt.  The face off with Dillon/Kiki/Michael, considering these actors don't get more than one chance to nail scenes, I thought it was gripping.  Strong soap stuff.

Even small stuff like Dante, despite his grief, being happy for Nathan when he met Charlotte.  Or Franco feeling helpless to help Kiki so he goes to find the boy she likes in hopes that will help her.

There was stupid stuff, like Michael dismissing Sonny being at fault or the absolutely laughable line of TJ saying one of his friends just died and you realized he was talking about MORGAN, when everyone under the sun knew Morgan and TJ were never, ever friends.

But overall, it was good. Good for GH is a low, low bar, but someone put effort into today's show.  It shows.  Awfully interesting that S&C weren't a  part of it AT ALL.

• Love 7