Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: TFGH

• Start Topic

Valerie is isolated as a budding Lisa Niles for Dante/Lulu

The only positive effect that Valerie is - even in fast-forward mode - causing nuLulu to move out of the baby-rabies realm.  Lulu wears jealousy well.

Blah Blah Blah yadda yadda yadda yadda, Blah Blah Blah.....that's mostly all I heard today.

I would much rather watch this than seeing middle-aged men try to act macho by waving guns.

Carly's back to being

Watching Carly is much more pleasurable without Sonny on the set.

Pick a lane, woman!

Elizabeth and Sam should hook up.

Edited by sunnyface
  • Love 2

True.  Someone higher up must have insisted all pop culture references date back no farther than the salad days of the WB.  Maybe someone will mention "Felicity" next!

The sad thing is, the shows Ron HAS referenced are more my speed. I'm 26, and when I was a teenager, I actually PREFERRED The Golden Girls to most other shows on TV (I was a part of the Lifetime Generation, when the show aired on Lifetime from 1997-2009, and was basically their signature show). But then again, from a very young (dare I say precocious?) age, I was interested in TV history, and I tend to watch most modern shows after they've gone off the air, and just older shows over and over again. I have trouble stopping myself from  rewatching things constantly. I am very much a rerun person. 

And I've never watched Dawson's Creek, but wasn't a constant criticism of it that the teens didn't speak like real teens/gave pop culture references that seemed out of place? (but not for me, probably) I've heard that before.

So...yeah. Unfortunately, if I were still watching every day, I actually think these references were more up my alley. GG, especially. The 30th anniversary of the show is this year, and I hate thinking that GH has helped ruin it for some fans.

Yes, I am a hardcore nerd. And not even a cool nerd, either. Sigh. -_-  

They couldn't afford the rights to Square Pegs.

That's what happens when a kickass girl new wave band like The Waitresses does your theme song! :) 

Edited by UYI

The sad thing is, the shows Ron HAS referenced are more my speed. I'm 26, and when I was a teenager, I actually PREFERRED The Golden Girls to most other shows on TV (I was a part of the Lifetime Generation, when the show aired on Lifetime from 1997-2009, and was basically their signature show). But then again, from a very young (dare I say precocious?) age, I was interested in TV history, and I tend to watch most modern shows after they've gone off the air, and just older shows over and over again. I have trouble stopping myself from rewatching things constantly. I am very much a rerun person.

And I've never watched Dawson's Creek, but wasn't a constant criticism of it that the teens didn't speak like real teens/gave pop culture references that seemed out of place? (but not for me, probably) I've heard that before.

So...yeah. Unfortunately, if I were still watching every day, I actually think these references were more up my alley. GG, especially. The 30th anniversary of the show is this year, and I hate thinking that GH has helped ruin it for some fans.

Yes, I am a hardcore nerd. And not even a cool nerd, either. Sigh. -_-

I am methodically watching every 80s episode of GH I can find, so you're in good company. Perhaps I will write a thesis about it when I'm done, lol. I love old tv.

I don't think Ron does himself any favors by referencing superior classic tv or even Classic GH stories. The current show just suffers even more by comparison. I never liked the nurses ball much, but even that just reminds the audience of far better days on GH (in the 90s).

• Love 2

I dunno about criticism, but yeah, one of the defining things about "Dawson's Creek" was that the kids sounded more like adults.  And Dawson would often reference older movies, but he was supposed to be a film dork.  Lucy referencing "Dawson's Creek" was just...weird.

And it's become this ongoing trend, the writers mangling in a reference to another TV show where it doesn't fit, like Carly bringing up Buffy and Angel.  It reads more like the writers writing for themselves and not for the characters, or the 18-34/18-49 demo that they've been shedding in the ratings.

• Love 6

I dunno about criticism, but yeah, one of the defining things about "Dawson's Creek" was that the kids sounded more like adults.  And Dawson would often reference older movies, but he was supposed to be a film dork.  Lucy referencing "Dawson's Creek" was just...weird.

And it's become this ongoing trend, the writers mangling in a reference to another TV show where it doesn't fit, like Carly bringing up Buffy and Angel.  It reads more like the writers writing for themselves and not for the characters, or the 18-34/18-49 demo that they've been shedding in the ratings.

All I can figure out is maybe serena made lucy watch dawsons creek lol like she used to make scott listen to spice girls lol.I just can't see lucy being like hey I'll catch that teen show lol.

Edited by Harmony233

ll I can figure out is maybe serena made lucy watch dawsons creek lol like she used to make scott listen to spice girls lol.I just can't see lucy being like hey I'll catch that teen show lol.

I could see Lucy getting sucked into a television soap, but not "Dawson's Creek".

• Love 1

The thing I liked about the Dawson's Creek reference was that Nathan didn't know who the hell they were. Even the first years I did watch I wish I didn't know who Dawson was!

• Love 2
Maxie's really been knocking back the wine there the last couple days.  Better watch it, Maxie, or folks'll be staging an intervention for you.  Maybe they can do a twofer and do Michael's at the same time.

Hey, Maxie's drinking is understandable—she's under a lot of stress. But Michael's drinking is genetic. Pretty soon he'll get fat, and AJ's legacy will be complete.

I think it's ridiculous for Lulu to want people to just get over her dad almost killing them because he's mentally ill, but on the other side of the spectrum I wouldn't expect her to just be like, yeah, murdering my dad is fine, he did some really bad things so it's okay.

Lulu doesn't have to be okay with Valerie holding a knife on Luke, but Lulu is being so grudging about why Valerie acted that way. I wish we saw Lulu being torn. Luke did some horrible things to her, too. Is it really so outrageous for Valerie to be have trouble letting go of her anger toward Luke?

And word to the lack of Spencer-family support Valerie is getting. Everyone made such a big point of wanting to be there for her, and no one is. I'm not surprised Carly isn't around, but I'd expect a line or two about Bobbie, at least.

We may get one tiny little bit about how Patrick is on the other end of what happened with him and Sabrina, but this is definitely about Sam, not Sabrina (and, clearly, not Robin).

And given the saint that Sabrina is, she'll pat Patrick's hand and tell him she knows how hard this is, but he'll be okay. He's so strong.

• Love 3

It reads more like the writers writing for themselves and not for the characters, or the 18-34/18-49 demo that they've been shedding in the ratings.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding. Congratulations, you have won the internet. Your prize? Your choice of the vast array of official GH t-shirts. Among your choices are:

“General Hospital: Well, that was a waste of an hour”

“I can't with this story, y'all.”

“ RAGE BLACKOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Give me an hour and I'll be fine.)”

“GH: Laws of nature need not apply. “

“General Hospital: Where the writers always go for the easy way out. “

Limited use. No wearing at work, in church or around young children:

“Fucking please."

"Today was a big pile of shit”

“Why am I still watching this shit?"

“General Hospital:

Fuck this show”

Character specific:

“Shut up, Sonny (on front)

Shut up, Carly (on back)”

“ Franco is a boil on the butt of General Hospital. “

“ Seasons change and time passes but Morgan* remains an idiot.”

*Can substitute with character of choice. May I recommend Kiki.

“ I like Ava. Sue me. “

“ There's always room on the barge!”

And the official cast version:

Let's get through this fucking day.

~Jane Elliot

• Love 16

She comes across so shrill and territorial though. There is a way to balance not wanting people to try to hurt your dad, but understanding where they are coming from. 

Sure, but that's not what I was replying to, I was replying to the notion that Lulu would/should realize that her parent being dead would be a good thing. There's a difference between "my father deserves to be punished" and "my father should be punished, and that punishment should be death, and that would be a good thing."

She should and could definitely be more understanding in general though, at the very least in private.

That was Scott Sickles too, when Carly referenced that. I'm telling you, you hear a forced television reference, 99% the chances are he wrote the script.

• Love 4

That was Scott Sickles too, when Carly referenced that. I'm telling you, you hear a forced television reference, 99% the chances are he wrote the script.

It's weird because he wrote for OLTL too and I don't remember that show EVER jamming in references to other shows like this.  If anything, OLTL liked to make up its own stuff (e.g. "Christina Comes Home For Christmas") and refer back to that.

ETA...oh man, out of curiosity, I pursed Mr. Sickles' IMDb page and it turns out he wrote one of my favorite Kish-featured episodes.  Double weird.

• Love 1

It's weird because he wrote for OLTL too and I don't remember that show EVER jamming in references to other shows like this.  If anything, OLTL liked to make up its own stuff (e.g. "Christina Comes Home For Christmas") and refer back to that.

ETA...oh man, out of curiosity, I pursed Mr. Sickles' IMDb page and it turns out he wrote one of my favorite Kish-featured episodes.  Double weird.

Maybe, since he knew the characters better there, he didn't have a weird over reliance on pop culture references?

He's definitely written some good scripts. And sometimes the pop culture references aren't forced. A couple of weeks ago in that conversation Dante and Nathan had about Nathan fighting Spinelli Nathan was like, "he said he was gonna go all sith lord on me" and Dante replied, "ooh, Darth Vader or Maul"? That's a reference those guys would make. Lucy talking about Dawson's Creek to Ellie and Nathan? Would Lucy watch that, and would Nathan and Ellie for that matter either? Probably not.

Lucy talking about Dawson's Creek to Ellie and Nathan? Would Lucy watch that, and would Nathan and Ellie for that matter either? Probably not.

Now Lucy watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and complaining that it's a rip-off of her life  would make more sense.  "How did this Joss Whedon know that I like to wear leather pants!  Or that I've loved two men with dark sides, one who has very goofy hair!".

• Love 3

I, personally, am shocked that they haven't had Spinelli make some sort of Game of Thrones reference. 

• Love 2

Elizabeth, I don't even know.  Yesterday, she's all happy with Ric, saying she's missed their conversations and it feels right to be with him, but the moment she sees a shot at Jake again...  Pick a lane, woman! 

Elizabeth is a waste.  She has gotten on my last nerve, and I'm done.  Let me know exactly when I'm suppose to feel sorry for her when she finds out Ric lied to her since she had no problem going right back to Ric, despite her reservations, when she lost Jake.  Pick a lane indeed.

Lulu is approaching Morgan levels of non-empathy.  I get she loves her dad, yadda yadda, but she can't understand Valerie's feelings?  She's gonna send her off to Wyndemere, to stay with a stranger and a non-relative to Valerie?  Hello, cousin Carly has a nice big hotel and would no doubt comp her a room.  Speaking of, where is this Spencer family that promised to rally 'round their newfound relative in the aftermath of Patricia's death?  It's pretty sad when Carly, Sonny, Morgan and nuKiki exhibit more family support playing Monopoly than do the tighter-than-tight Spencer clan.

Eh, I'd be happy to see Valerie leave.  Why do we need her on the show exactly?  It's not like we don't have lots of Spencers.  How about some Quartermaines?  I don't like Valerie, and I am NOT looking forward to another triangle story from RC.  Dante better not cheat.  It would be so out of character.

• Love 2

Maybe, since he knew the characters better there, he didn't have a weird over reliance on pop culture references?

I really think lack of familiarity with the characters is a big part of the problem. I can't figure out whether the bigger problem is with the daily scripts or the overall story arcs. I think both are pretty terrible but I do feel like the old script writers frequently did a lot to redeem Guza's bad story arcs. I think their familiarity with the characters meant that we got good scenes that provided reasonable justifications that were in character even when the overall story was crap.

• Love 5

Elizabeth is a waste.  She has gotten on my last nerve, and I'm done.  Let me know exactly when I'm suppose to feel sorry for her when she finds out Ric lied to her since she had no problem going right back to Ric, despite her reservations, when she lost Jake.  Pick a lane indeed.

This situation has shades of the back together/sudden engagement to GV's Lucky - a scene outside of little Jake's hospital room after Edward crashed that car during the carnival. She cares about Ric, and wants to believe they can be in love because she genuinely wants an adult relationship, and for her boys to have a whole family. She reluctantly gave him a second chance when he came back to Port Charles, then when he returned from witness protection, it seemed like she confused gratitude that he was alive with love (also, embraced him because the boys, especially Cam, adore him.) Her conversation with Epiphany showed she was happy to give her boys a real family feeling at Christmastime. (Reminds me that Lucky abandoned the boys at Christmas a few years ago; Liz blamed herself for that). Ric has used every opportunity he could with Cam to manipulate Elizabeth into wanting him as a partner/father figure to her son. Cam point blank asked her to get back together with Ric, and Ric told Liz he would always be there for them. (Some of this wouldn't even be an issue if Cam and Aiden actually got to have their dad's attention.) I think she is tired of being a single mom, wants stability for her boys, cares for Ric and is just really hoping he won't lie to her again or screw over an innocent person to hold onto her. Once the hope of a fresh,new relationship with this mysterious guy seemed to end abruptly thanks to the appearance of Hayden, she just caved. Ric certainly knew (a few days ago) that to be true because he, not she, was overjoyed about getting back together. Now he's clinging to the fantasy in his mind of the life he wants to have with Elizabeth, her boys and Molly, and desperately hoping she'll never find out he paid Hayden (and Fake!Jake).

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 2

Duke is being a hypocritical dingbat about what he thinks is going on between Anna and Sloane.  Dude, weren't you banging Ms. Coe (off-screen) until, like, yesterday?  Haven't you been a non-stop ass to Anna for weeks?  She's not psychic, you actually need to open your mouth and tell her about your change of heart.

On the flip side, I did enjoy Anna's "EW GROSS HIM? NOOO!" reaction to Patrick asking her about Sloane.  But ugh, the talk with Patrick about Robin was terrible.

Sam's comment about Rebecca Budig ("Hmmm...maybe it's an unflattering picture") was stupid and out-of-character in its cattiness.

Are we supposed to care that Jordan and Shawn are in love?  Oh show, you crazy.

• Love 8
I do feel like the old script writers frequently did a lot to redeem Guza's bad story arcs. I think their familiarity with the characters meant that we got good scenes that provided reasonable justifications that were in character even when the overall story was crap.

I think that's exactly it: Ron's new team doesn't know the characters well enough to write for them, so we get a bunch hacky plots with scenes that use lazy cultural references to take the place of actual characterizations and development. Of course, Ron's insistence on plot-point writing doesn't help.

(Some of this wouldn't even be an issue if Cam and Aiden actually got to have their dad's attention.)

You mean Lucky doesn't Skype with them on a regular basis?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 5

Eh, I'd be happy to see Valerie leave.  Why do we need her on the show exactly?  It's not like we don't have lots of Spencers.  How about some Quartermaines?  I don't like Valerie, and I am NOT looking forward to another triangle story from RC.  Dante better not cheat.  It would be so out of character.

Patrick, Duke, Nikolas, are all acting super out of character. Everyone's just running amok.

• Love 7

Patrick, Duke, Nikolas, are all acting super out of character. Everyone's just running amok.

And now we can add Anna to the list.  She's upset that Robin stays away, but hasn't done anything about it?  I hope she remembers that (and her "that wacky old broad!" dismissal of Helena) when she finds out that Robin has been chained up in some Cassadine lab for months.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7

And now we can add Anna to the list. She's upset that Robin stays away, but hasn't done anything about it? I hope she remembers that (and her "that wacky old broad!" dismissal of Helena) when she finds out that Robin has been chained up in some Cassadine lab for months.

It's SO ridiculous. She's sitting there seething about why Robin isn't there and why Robin/Patrick didn't work, but isn't making any effort to call?

And the writing continues to go back and forth. Patrick says "Robin chose to leave and I wish she didn't." Which part of the story is he talking about? When she left to help Jason? Or when she "went to Paris?" Like, what in the what?

And his "Robin is everywhere." Really? REALLY? Dude hasn't given a shit on-screen. Please.

I'm feeling nice today, so I'll give him credit for saying Jason keeps popping up.

• Love 4

So Duke feels he owes Sonny a debt, so much so that his self-respecting manhood is at risk if he doesn't fulfill it.  Shouldn't that be A.J. he owes, the man who gave him a job and friendship when no one else would, or Anna, the love of his life?  What the heck did Sonny ever do for him that trumped all that?

Maybe Shawn will be with Jordan when Bruce goes to take a shot and throws himself in front of her.  Maybe he's better at catching bullets than he is at throwing them.  Heck, I don't care, he can throw himself in front of Duke.  I'd much rather keep him than Shawn.

It's very kind of Anna to check in with Patrick and confirm his current happiness.  Here's a thought.  Check in on Robin's!  The way they're being written, these two could not look anymore thoughtless, callous or stupid when it comes to Robin.  But, I know.  We're waiting for Jason to save Robin, aren't we, so we can burnish his halo a little more down the road.  No character's too good to sacrifice at that altar.

• Love 3

It sounds like, as an Anna fan, I'd hate today's show, wouldn't I?

Depending on what y'all say, I may be with the others, watching vintage 1980's GH.  Aquanet hair and electric blue clothing, here I (may) come.

• Love 1

It's very kind of Anna to check in with Patrick and confirm his current happiness. Here's a thought. Check in on Robin's! The way they're being written, these two could not look anymore thoughtless, callous or stupid when it comes to Robin. But, I know. We're waiting for Jason to save Robin, aren't we, so we can burnish his halo a little more down the road. No character's too good to sacrifice at that altar.

I actually want Jason to save her. Robin's "choice" will be further validated. She saved the guy who actually gives a flying fuck about her. The so-called man that she loves is only concerned with his happiness with any other breathing female.

• Love 5

It's very kind of Anna to check in with Patrick and confirm his current happiness.  Here's a thought.  Check in on Robin's!  The way they're being written, these two could not look anymore thoughtless, callous or stupid when it comes to Robin.  But, I know.  We're waiting for Jason to save Robin, aren't we, so we can burnish his halo a little more down the road.  No character's too good to sacrifice at that altar.

Anna: It is so weird that Robin doesn't bother to keep in touch with me or her daughter.  I don't understand.  But oh well, as long as you are happy with Sam

• Love 4

Anna: It is so weird that Robin doesn't bother to keep in touch with me or her daughter. I don't understand. But oh well, as long as you are happy with Sam

And Emma loves her, so just move on already!!

• Love 1

The best thing about today was Carlos assembling his gun, and then catching sight of himself in the Metro Court's slightly unclean mirror, no doubt a reflection of how his soul is unclean, contemplating how he is trembling on the edge of a precipice, wondering if he should go through with it, wondering where all his old joy at his hits had gone out. Where was the laughter that he used to feel when he held guns to people's heads? Gone, all gone. 

Oops, I'm sorry, that was my split personality taking over. I'm back.

I snorted out loud at Sloane's "we don't have time! a hit's goin' down!", so thanks for that I guess McCouch.

I, personally, am shocked that they haven't had Spinelli make some sort of Game of Thrones reference.

Give it 20-25 years. 

also snorted without dignity at this. Damn you Kerleyq!

Depending on what y'all say, I may be with the others, watching vintage 1980's GH.  Aquanet hair and electric blue clothing, here I (may) come.

It was a struggle to even pay attention to the dialogue to be honest. I do think Robin will be back soon.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

I do think Robin will be back soon.

A scene of her watching a DVD of the Nurse's Ball and she tells her guard, "Wait, I think this is from 2013?"

"No, ma'am, this is from this year's ball."

"But..."

"I know."

• Love 2

Not even Fin can elevate this boring drivel anymore.

I'm surprised ABC's Legal Dept. isn't making them run a disclaimer stating "do not operate machinery while watching".

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 3

Depending on what y'all say, I may be with the others, watching vintage 1980's GH. Aquanet hair and electric blue clothing, here I (may) come.

Yep. There's no way this ends well if, like me, you love both Anna and Robin. Even if Robin comes back, Anna will either feel like shit (and have everyone telling her she sucks, like we did in the winter with the Faison in the hole reveal) or be a callous bitch to Robin ("you should've found a way to tell me what was really going on!").

And because nobody halfway decent is allowed to be happy, Robin will either hate her mom for being clueless (while extolling the virtues of her old pals Jason and Sonny, I'm sure) ...or meekly accept that her family is now a bunch of incurious idiots and / or that this is all her fault somehow.

I'd rather watch vintage Anna in big hair and shoulder pads than see the character get desecrated.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 8

The only characters who deserve to be happy are Sam and Patrick. Various characters let us know this on a daily basis, doncha know.

I didn't get that memo. Carly sure looks happy as fuck meddling in Jake's life and boning Sonny on the regular. Lucas and Brad are happy off-screen. Spinelli seems quite satisfied, as do Nik and Hayden every time they bone. And though Sonny's child is missing, he doesn't seem all that upset. Then again, girlchild, amirite?

• Love 5

I didn't get that memo. Carly sure looks happy as fuck meddling in Jake's life and boning Sonny on the regular. Lucas and Brad are happy off-screen. Spinelli seems quite satisfied, as do Nik and Hayden every time they bone. And though Sonny's child is missing, he doesn't seem all that upset. Then again, girlchild, amirite?

No, I'm talking about characters having straight up convos with Sam and Patrick about their happiness and how they just oh-so deserve it.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1

I didn't get that memo. Carly sure looks happy as fuck meddling in Jake's life and boning Sonny on the regular.

"ha-ha!"

Laura Wright's Carly laugh drives me batty/cracks me up simultaneously.

• Love 2

Well, too be fair, Sonny does have a short attention span.

I'm sure Carly and Spinelli will soon find some way to be dissatisfied and whiny about their lot in life. Not that I'll know because even if I were not on the barge, I would FF through all their scenes ...

• Love 1

Well, too be fair, Sonny does have a short attention span.

I'm sure Carly and Spinelli will soon find some way to be dissatisfied and whiny about their lot in life. Not that I'll know because even if I were not on the barge, I would FF through all their scenes ...

I'm sure Spinelli's whining will come at approximately the same moment as Nathan is up on stage at the NB in the Magic Milo act, and Ellie and Maxie are both laser focused on his bare chest and abs.  

• Love 1

So I watched parts of today's show.

First, Anna's response to Patrick's "So you could accept Duke's involvement in the mob then but not now?" made no sense.  Duke never wanted to be part of the mob.  He was always coerced into it.  And he was always trying finding a way out.  When Anna said, "That's not how it was." I expected her to go into that distinction.  It was disheartening that she didn't.  Then again, these writers want to believe that this is who Duke is, so they don't see that distinction. It's sad. I actually feel really bad for Duke fans on that front. 

Second, Anna unflinching about Sam moving in?  Man.  I so much preferred her raw response to seeing Patrick out on a date with Britt.  I get it -- it's years later.  But, dammit, Patrick does have a bit of a revolving door.  First Robin died.  Then he dates Britt.  Then he moves Sabrina in. Then Robin returns and moves back in, but not right away.  Now Robin's gone and yet another woman has moved in and taken on, supposedly, a maternal role.  Anna should have at least have asked, confirmed, "It's that serious?" or say "So, it's very serious." But that would have led to a conversation about the nature of Patrick's and Sam's relationship, which is of no interest to the writers as it's just an obstacle to the story of Jason/Sam and, maybe, Robin/Patrick.

So when I as watching I was wondering, 'Why would Anna care that Robin knew Sam?' and then Patrick says, "And I knew Jason." Oh, I get it. This conversation's purpose is bring up Jason. And talk about Jason.  And mention Jason.  It's all about Jason.  So of course she'd bring up a tortured point that made no sense, just so it could segue way into talking about Jason.  We get it.  The cloud of Jason hovers above Patrick and Sam at every turn.

Agreed that Finola and Jason couldn't save this drivel.  They tried.  But no one could elevate this drivel to something remotely resembling good drama.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 14

This show continues to use the SAME lines about how Sam understands Robin and Patrick understands Jason so SAMTRICK makes sense!!

Sam doesn't know crap about Robin or her relationship with Patrick. Knows.nothing. She does know that Robin tried to save Jason, but apparently that's not a big deal. Ok.

Patrick hated Jason. He didn't want Robin to save him.

But keep on keeping on, Ronnie.

• Love 12