Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

BearCat49, I'm sorry if I came across as judgemental concerning the SD wife. My attempt at "snarky" fell flat. But I really would like to see an update for this couple. Maybe she just received a harsh edit, but she did seem hard to live with for the husband. Hopefully her dream kitchen came out like she wanted. If she truly is this "way", I hope she sees this has a chance for self awareness.

BearCat49, I'm sorry if I came across as judgemental concerning the SD wife. My attempt at "snarky" fell flat. But I really would like to see an update for this couple. Maybe she just received a harsh edit, but she did seem hard to live with for the husband. Hopefully her dream kitchen came out like she wanted. If she truly is this "way", I hope she sees this has a chance for self awareness.

No worries, cathy7304 - snark away!  I'm very judgmental if/when I believe the participants are truly offering their own story.  That's just my own posting method, however.  Even though we know all of them should understand that anything they say can and will be used by the editors, I'm sure many of them either don't read the fine print and/or don't understand!  (The Sugar Daddy episode on HHR is a prime example.  Those two were proud of their situation and immediately announced it to millions of viewers!)

It's really funny but I don't remember the SD woman that well.  I remember her basic appearance and the homes they toured.  WRT her personality, I do remember her as generally annoying so I think I just tuned her out!  Perhaps that's how her husband survives, lol!

I agree - it'd be fun to see her kitchen.  Hopefully she'll love it (no matter how it turns out) and we can snark away on her design choices!  And, if her personality does a 180 in a WATN episode, that'll tell us she either had that awakening or at least became attuned to the magic of editing!

Merry Christmas!

Edited by BearCat49
I simply do not understand the tiny house people. I would not feel safe living in a 250 square foot house in the middle of twelve acres. Can you say creepy?

At least they didn't take the house with all the windows, including in the bathroom.  That place really creeped me out. 

I haven't watched the Tiny Houses except for the sound healer but I think from what I've read here last night's episode was a rerun....or...could there be 2 men in the USA that want composting toilets with snarky wives????

OMG I really have problems watching these episodes as it brings out the latent claustrophobia in me.  I'm glad they took the new build though.  House 3 was almost decent until....no running water!!  Whaaaaaaaaa????  Who lives like that..it's like camping out 365 days a year.

• Love 1

I can't believe the Tree House didn't have running water or a septic system. I wonder how a composting toilet works ?

I don't think the wife was being "snarky" at all. Would you live in a house without running water/toilet ?

• Love 2

I can't believe the Tree House didn't have running water or a septic system. I wonder how a composting toilet works ?

I don't think the wife was being "snarky" at all. Would you live in a house without running water/toilet ?

The husband of this duo is the one that annoyed me to no end. 

As for a composting toilet, no matter how clean you are they stink. Funk in a small place would be worse.

This is how a composting toilet works.

The husband of this duo is the one that annoyed me to no end. 

As for a composting toilet, no matter how clean you are they stink. Funk in a small place would be worse.

This is how a composting toilet works.

Actually, there are almost no odors from a composting toilet.

Eta:  In fact, they actually smell less than a regular toilet.  There is a fan that constantly pulls the air to the outside.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 2

The image of "Sunny California" is just that, IMHO - merely an image.  Haven't checked the official weather stats but In normal years, they probably have a few large storms over several days each, even in the LA area.  In fact, LA friends tell me they have 2 seasons, i.e. the fire season and mudslide season.

I've lived in sunny SoCal for about 30 years, most of those with the perpetually leaky roof that's been fixed and replace too many times to count.  :-)  Yes, we have some rainstorms, and even the occasional cold snap, but drought is and always will be the problem here.  It IS sunny.  It IS mild.  It is Christmas Day and I've yet to use any artificial heat.  My windows are almost always open all day (and most often all night, too).  I'm far enough from the beach to miss the May grey and June gloom, yet not so far inland to experience the intolerable heat.  For a person with the internal thermoregulation of a lizard (and dealing with the hot/cold misery of menopause), I can assure you it is pretty f'ing sweet.  My heart longs for my native Pacific Northwest scenery, but my old body (and meager budget) appreciates the delights of North San Diego county. 

Eat your hearts out, my peeps.  :-D

ETA1 - I grew up with 6 people sharing one bathroom, as did many of my generation.  We all survived, but maybe that's why so many of the kids we helped raise want more, more, more.

ETA2 - Happy Holidays to all, and happy (virtual) house hunting!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

Could tonight's episode have been producer driven..or is this couple just loony? She wnts a princess house and he wants medieval.

She was talking about a princesslike rotunda entrance to the master. OMG they are nuts... and her voice? mute button

Edited by NYGirl

I've lived in sunny SoCal for about 30 years, most of those with the perpetually leaky roof that's been fixed and replace too many times to count.  :-)  Yes, we have some rainstorms, and even the occasional cold snap, but drought is and always will be the problem here.  It IS sunny.  It IS mild.  It is Christmas Day and I've yet to use any artificial heat.  My windows are almost always open all day (and most often all night, too).  I'm far enough from the beach to miss the May grey and June gloom, yet not so far inland to experience the intolerable heat.  For a person with the internal thermoregulation of a lizard (and dealing with the hot/cold misery of menopause), I can assure you it is pretty f'ing sweet.  My heart longs for my native Pacific Northwest scenery, but my old body (and meager budget) appreciates the delights of North San Diego county. 

Eat your hearts out, my peeps.  :-D

ETA1 - I grew up with 6 people sharing one bathroom, as did many of my generation.  We all survived, but maybe that's why so many of the kids we helped raise want more, more, more.

ETA2 - Happy Holidays to all, and happy (virtual) house hunting!

Psst Walnutqueen, Bite me!  Lol

Honey

(Who lives in the Adirondacks)

• Love 2

Could tonight's episode have been producer driven..or is this couple just loony?  She was a princess house and he wants medieval

Oh my YES!  The whole time I kept hearing about "princess room this" and "fairy tale that";  it was driving me buggy!  Something tells me Miss "I want a 4000 sq ft house" doesn't wash her own floors either.  To want a house that big, they must expect to have maid service make regular visits.

Another annoyance for me was the references to "South Las Vegas".  I live in LV, and the city is identified as East & West, and subdivided into Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, and Southeast.  There is no "South Las Vegas" per se.  Many parts of town are identified by neighborhoods.  We have Summerlin, Centennial Hills, The Lakes, etc.  The house located "in the north" most likely was in the "Summerlin" community.

• Love 2

I've lived in sunny SoCal for about 30 years, most of those with the perpetually leaky roof that's been fixed and replace too many times to count.  :-)  Yes, we have some rainstorms, and even the occasional cold snap, but drought is and always will be the problem here.  It IS sunny.  It IS mild.  

The first post refers to "Sunny California" but the second quotation discusses "sunny SoCal" or actually 2 entirely different areas.

That doesn't matter, however, b/c even within the Los Angeles area alone, many different microclimates exist.  This article discusses the LA microclimates.  http://articles.latimes.com/print/1998/feb/27/local/me-23684

Given the differences in microclimates within Southern California, with all due respect, a San Diego area resident may not have enough information to opine about areas of Los Angeles, IMHO.

Coincidentally, the microclimate article was written during an El Nino or wet year.  Wet and dry years often alternate or clusters of them may alternate.  El Ninos may occur every 2-7 years.  (For more information on an El Nino:  http://education-portal.com/academy/lesson/what-is-el-ni-o-definition-effects-quiz.html#lesson   )

The LA Almanac dating back to 1877 indicates frequent year over year, significant differences in precipitation totals:   http://www.laalmanac.com/weather/we13.htm     (Note that this almanac only includes totals for downtown LA so the averages may be fairly low.)

The first quotation was written in reference to possible storm damage to a yurt and consequently mentioned that CA's average rainfall often occurs over a few larger storms, scattered during a rainy season.  Here's a reference to the "Pineapple Express" storm that happened on or about 12/8/14:  http://www.weather.com/forecast/regional/news/california-rain-flood-threat-drought-relief-middec2014

The article mentions mudslides in Ventura County (part of the Greater LA area) about 1/2 way down.  (Those people might not call it "Sunny California" or "Sunny SoCal".)  Also mentioned, farther down, same article, are atmospheric rivers or "ARs".  The article states, "About 30-50% of annual precipitation in the Western states occurs in just a few AR events", i.e. larger storms.  Does a "pineapple express" storm fit the "Sunny California" image?

Droughts are not always the problem.  IMHO, LA area yurt purchasers might want to reconsider their purchase WRT "Sunny SoCal". 

Edited by BearCat49

The image of "Sunny California" is just that, IMHO - merely an image.  Haven't checked the official weather stats but In normal years, they probably have a few large storms over several days each, even in the LA area.  In fact, LA friends tell me they have 2 seasons, i.e. the fire season and mudslide season.

Oops, this dropped out, apparently, from the post when initially written.  It was called the "first" quote or quotation throughout.

Given the differences in microclimates within Southern California, with all due respect, a San Diego area resident may not have enough information to opine about areas of Los Angeles, IMHO.

I am ever so glad I didn't OPINE about areas of Los Angeles, especially since I am so uninformed.   :~d

I also had first hand experience with the original San Diego County firestorms of '03 and '07.  Worked both 24/7 as the girl who made sure all the fire trucks from my city and the dozens of other responding agencies got gas, and the firemen were fed and hydrated when they came by for fuel, tire repairs and replacement air filters.  Those were some hairy times, for sure, as the fires got WAY too close for comfort.

Honey - You know I love you right back, girl, in my watnunutty way!  Whenever I see House Hunters (or Vacation Homes For Free - I can't seem to get anything right these days) set in the Adirondacks, I always think it looks so beautiful. 

• Love 5

I am ever so glad I didn't OPINE about areas of Los Angeles, especially since I am so uninformed.   :~d

I also had first hand experience with the original San Diego County firestorms of '03 and '07.  Worked both 24/7 as the girl who made sure all the fire trucks from my city and the dozens of other responding agencies got gas, and the firemen were fed and hydrated when they came by for fuel, tire repairs and replacement air filters.  Those were some hairy times, for sure, as the fires got WAY too close for comfort.

Honey - You know I love you right back, girl, in my watnunutty way!  Whenever I see House Hunters (or Vacation Homes For Free - I can't seem to get anything right these days) set in the Adirondacks, I always think it looks so beautiful. 

It is beautiful here.  The trade-off is that we have 2 seasons.  Hotter than hell, and colder than a mother*****.  Heh

Edited by Honey
  • Love 2

Another annoyance for me was the references to "South Las Vegas".  I live in LV, and the city is identified as East & West, and subdivided into Northwest, Southwest, Northeast, and Southeast.  There is no "South Las Vegas" per se

I haven't seen the show yet, but maybe by "south" they meant Mountain's Edge? ...which I've heard referred to as LV's most "southern" point for major planned communities.

• Love 1

Wouldn't actual HH viewers enjoy comparing notes, for fun, about HH with their RL realtor - anybody agree?

I plan to when we go house hunting. I'll report back anything she tells me. 

• Love 2

The California topic is .... interesting. I grew up in LA, now live in SD and I visit LA once a week. The weather patterns are pretty much the same with some slight variances. Sunny SoCal is pretty much always sunny SoCal. In my 36 years, it has never been an "image". But what do I know. 

Topic! I just finished watching the LV episode, and found the fairy tale stuff MADDENING. I'm just shocked that a woman of that age would be carrying on and twirling about the house, talking about fairy tales and fantasies.

400k buys a WHOLE lot of house in Vegas though. Really find Vegas real estate interesting.

Edited by CocoaGoddess
  • Love 4

Topic! I just finished watching the LV episode, and found the fairy tale stuff MADDENING. I'm just shocked that a woman of that age would be carrying on and twirling about the house, talking about fairy tales and fantasies.

I have to go see if that one's on my DVR!

Interestingly, I actually know a 40-something woman just like that who posts on Facebook about meeting & marrying her prince & living in a fairy tale. She's one of the biggest phonies & "storytellers" I've ever met. I could see her applying to be on HH & behaving like that.

So what in the world is up with the HGTV schedule? Have they completely given up on a standard schedule? I feel like they are stuck in a daily marathon rut, and I'm not sure if it's because of the holiday season or what? I find House Hunters to be slightly more tolerable when I'm not watching ten episodes back to back to back. 

And I can't even find Property Virgins on my schedule ...

• Love 1

400k buys a WHOLE lot of house in Vegas though.

My TiVo recorded an ep where a couple with a 3-year-old and baby on the way was looking for a house in Vegas (they'd moved there to start a church) and their budget was something like $250K. They got bang for their buck - one of the places the looked at had a pool. The places they looked at were around 2500 square feet. I would rather die than live in Vegas (or anywhere in the desert - hate the heat, love 4 seasons, especially crisp leaf-changing fall) but it does seem like real estate is cheap there.

One thing I thought was weird was that she wanted a fireplace. In Vegas. Her husband echoed my thoughts and asked what in the world they needed a fireplace for in all that heat.

Having been to Vegas in December and February, it does get cold once the sun goes down in the winter, certainly cold enough to enjoy a fireplace.  I live in Los Angeles, where our version of cold is similarly significantly warmer than that of much the country, but also cold enough so that one who enjoys a fireplace - as I do - can make use of one for several months each year. 

• Love 1

I've been to Tucson in December and January and it got down to the 40s at night, which to me isn't fireplace-cold, but to each their own. I can't remember if this couple ended up with one.

I also find it interesting what people consider far/long; this couple wanted to be near their church and balked at a place that was 25 minutes away. To me that isn't far at all, but again, it's all relative. Had they said it was 25 miles away, I'd have thought "Yeah, that's far."

I like seeing how far money will go in different places. I watched an awful couple (more her than him - even her mother said she was spoiled) with a million-dollar budget who ended up in 800 square feet in Manhattan Beach (they looked at a great home with everything on their list except it was 10 minutes away from their chosen area but she refused; she said she wouldn't consider living anywhere else and she meant it), and another couple who paid less than $200K for new construction with triple that square footage in a Charleston suburb.

I also laugh when parents are all "OMG the kids will die if they're not on the same floor as we are!" My best friend has a 4-year-old. They've lived in two (rented) houses since the kid's first birthday. (They lived in NYC the first year, so close quarters then.) In both, the master bedroom is on a different floor than the rest - the kid's room was on the second floor in one and the basement in the other, and the masters were on the ground floor. They put up a baby gate and got on with it. I don't think it's something they looked for in a place, but it is what it is and they just dealt. It's been fine.

• Love 1

I've been to Tucson in December and January and it got down to the 40s at night, which to me isn't fireplace-cold, but to each their own.

Yeah, that is totally fireplace weather to me.  It's an atmospheric thing in such climates; not a matter of "I want a fireplace because we're going to need the extra heat" but "I want a fireplace because I like them and for a few months a year it gets cold enough I can use one."

One thing I thought was weird was that she wanted a fireplace. In Vegas.

It definitely can get quite cold here - even in the daytime.  Right now we're in a cold snap which has nights near or just below freezing and daytime highs in the upper 40s.

Also, many people have gas fireplaces and might use them more for show than actual warmth.

I also find it interesting what people consider far/long; this couple wanted to be near their church and balked at a place that was 25 minutes away. To me that isn't far at all, but again, it's all relative. Had they said it was 25 miles away, I'd have thought "Yeah, that's far."

Once upon a time one could zip across one end of the Las Vegas Valley to the other in 10-15 minutes.  Now it can take 30-45 minutes depending on traffic conditions.  As someone who regularly drives to work in 35 minutes (28 miles each way) it's not that bad.  A 25 minute commute is not uncommon but 35-40 minutes are the norm.

• Love 1

Did anyone see the episode a couple of nights ago with the single dad and four kids looking for a vacation home in Telluride, CO? They were from Indiana. The budget was $3 million. He ended up purchasing an historic home known as the Tavern. I was curious if they mentioned what the dad did for a living. That is a big budget for a second home!

So between original flavor HH and HHI, I have about 30 episodes on the DVR. Ridiculous, but marathoning is apparently the only way I can get my HH fix. Does anyone else skip most of the episodes where vacation homes are featured? For some reason, I have zero interest in investing in buyers who only want a getaway home or income property. Also, I tend to check out of episodes where the price range is over a million, with the exception of high COL areas such as New York or Hawaii.

Currently watching the Chicago episode where the obnoxious, shrill buyer will accept NOTHING but a Chicago address, and I just ... do these people even know how obnoxious they come off with this crap? 

• Love 2

Last night's Hawaii couple just irritated me. They had a $550K budget in an area where the average single family price was $700K (I think) and expected to get a fully finished and "updated" house. Their realtor looked like she wanted to smack them a few times.

So I can understand wanting newer appliances and a nice kitchen, especially if the appliances are original to the house. But man alive, does it annoy me when they complain that the bathroom is a "total gut job" because it doesn't have fancy granite and tile.

• Love 5

So true. The Las Vegas couple stated that they had stainless steel appliances in the kitchen, so they could definitely "entertain". I'm sorry, you can't entertain with black or white appliances? That's interesting. I will travel back in time and let myself know that when I had a kitchen with brand new black appliances, I was totally incapable of actually operating them.

As someone who cooks and bakes a ton, I get wanting a nice kitchen with quality countertops, comfortable, durable floors, and nice appliances. But these people are tripping over themselves rushing to caress cheap Frigidaire appliances that the current homeowners probably got at an open box/dent and scratch special at the local Sears outlet. A $500 refrigerator is a $500 refrigerator, no matter what color it is! I've never once heard a buyer express a desire for a high end oven, because he or she prefers baking with convection settings rather than a standard oven, or wanting a dough proofing setting, or anything that would be actually productive in the kitchen. 

• Love 6

Exactly.  HHs going on about their desire for a stainless steel finish on their appliances would still be annoying for the repetition, but if they seemed to understand it was, in fact, a finish and not an indicator of functionality or quality it would be less so. 

Instead, we get people like that (Cherry Hill?) HH who didn’t even know how to cook and declared she couldn’t possibly learn unless the appliances were replaced with stainless steel versions.

• Love 1

As someone who cooks and bakes a ton, I get wanting a nice kitchen with quality countertops, comfortable, durable floors, and nice appliances. But these people are tripping over themselves rushing to caress cheap Frigidaire appliances that the current homeowners probably got at an open box/dent and scratch special at the local Sears outlet. A $500 refrigerator is a $500 refrigerator, no matter what color it is! I've never once heard a buyer express a desire for a high end oven, because he or she prefers baking with convection settings rather than a standard oven, or wanting a dough proofing setting, or anything that would be actually productive in the kitchen.

Exactly. I cook and bake too and my current apartment lacks counter space, which is annoying. I get wanting a kitchen you can really cook in. But it seems like folks don't realize that stainless steel is 100% cosmetic and that stainless steel doesn't = quality appliance.

I saw the Hawaii ep too and was curious because I'd heard the COL was so high. The realtor seemed pretty exasperated - at one point she was like "Yes, this is a town home, you have to share the wall. [sigh]"

• Love 3

WRT Las Vegas...it does get extremely cold here.  Like, down to the 20s in the winter time.  I LOVED having a fireplace (and so did my cat lol) because not only did it supply heat, but just seeing it on gave a coziness factor.  I do laugh when I see tourists here in the winter in their shorts and flip flops, freezing as they walk down the Strip.  So many people think "it's hot in Vegas!" without considering that it's a desert climate, with extreme high AND low temps.

Hawaii, yeah, very unrealistic.  If the average price is in the $700,000s, and you only have $500,000...well, it seems obvious to me you're going to have to settle.  Either accept it, or save up for a while longer.  Jeez!

• Love 3
I cook and bake too and my current apartment lacks counter space, which is annoying. I get wanting a kitchen you can really cook in. But it seems like folks don't realize that stainless steel is 100% cosmetic and that stainless steel doesn't = quality appliance.

The infernal demand for gas stoves is what kills me. At least it's a functional and not cosmetic request, and I understand personal preferences, but jeezalou. If there isn't a gas line to the house, a few of them have even said they'd "need" to install a propane stove. This is home cooking, not a restaurant kitchen, and I can assure everyone that electric burners work just fine to heat, simmer, braise, fry, boil, sear, and saute.

• Love 1

As someone who cooks dinner at home almost every night, I so prefer gas. It is easier to heat up quickly and control the temperature. When we bought our current home 4 years ago, most homes in the area did not have gas, and I was so disappointed while looking. The house we ended up buying has propane for heating, and the owner installed a gas stove. I'm a happy camper. I knew if we got a house with an electric stove, I'd change it out for an induction cooktop. I guess it's personal preference, but once I got used to gas, I never want anything else.

• Love 3

Did anyone see the episode a couple of nights ago with the single dad and four kids looking for a vacation home in Telluride, CO? They were from Indiana.

I happened upon this one by accident because I tuned in to see the HHI on Zurich and caught the end of the HH before it.  They had a view from a mining road down into a valley, and I thought, "That's Telluride."  Then the guy said something about how expensive the properties there were, and I thought, "That's definitely Telluride."  So I caught the rerun.  I used to live there, and it's a tiny town, so I knew exactly which both of the in-town houses were.

I noticed the HHs (as well as faux-Whang) called the town on the other side of the ski area "Mountain Village."  The realtor called it "the Mountain Village," which is what locals have always called it.  In case any of you go there, you'll know how not to sound like a tourist.  :-)

I love the guest house in the mining shed at the house with the picket fence.  I found some photos that show it has a sleeping loft and a private patio.

http://tellurideluxury.co/property/445-west-colorado-avenue/

They can keep the mansion--I'll happily take the shed.

And the realtor said they had to dismantle the shed to remodel it, and were required to put all the original wood back on the outside.  So good luck getting permission to build a garage back there. 

There are things I like and dislike about both gas and electric stoves; the ease of cleaning and lack of anything sticking up on the glass electric cooktops means I'll probably go with that when I redo my kitchen, but it's nearly a tie, and I ran a gas line to the kitchen a while back just in case.  That said, I understand strong personal preferences.  However, most of the houses in which a HH is on about there not being a gas stove are ones in which it's probably not much of a project to add a gas line, so I'd be a lot more open to "I hope we can switch to gas" than I am to the "The stove is electric; this house just will not do" storyline.

Bastet, have you considered induction? People I know who have them say they behave like gas plus they are flat top and easy to clean.

The downside is you have to have cookware that conducts magnetic energy, but these days you can get that even with a nonstick finish if that what's you prefer.

I had no idea Telluride was so expensive. I enjoyed viewing the homes. The young couple looking in Oahu show was so formulaic. She reminded me of Kelly Ripa in looks, and I say that in a kind way, because I think Kelly is a pretty woman. Another couple who thought SS = quality. That is annoying.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1

I've received mixed reviews of induction from those I know who have them (like gas and electric, it has pros and cons), so it will just depend on what's available when I renovate the kitchen (several years from now still, probably).  But its existence is another reason the "Ack, no gas stove -- run away!" reaction is annoying.

• Love 2

Does anyone else skip most of the episodes where vacation homes are featured? For some reason, I have zero interest in investing in buyers who only want a getaway home or income property. Also, I tend to check out of episodes where the price range is over a million, with the exception of high COL areas such as New York or Hawaii.

I skip the guy who renovates those million dollar apartments in NY, Vanilla Ice and the mansions he renovates, and HHI when they go tropical.

When I first went from gas to electricity, there was a learning curve, and you had to remember to take the pan off the burner right away, but you soon adapt, or at least I did.

I grew up with electric appliances and I definitely have a strong preference for gas stoves. However, my own house has a gas stove top, electric oven, and I find that is the best of both worlds! I know that it isn't a very common combination and that if/when we sell our house and buy another, I might have to live with having strictly one or the other, but you know ... I'm sure my pancakes will come out just fine until we come up with a solution. Unless the appliances are rusting or completely non functional, I can't fathom that even playing into my decision whether or not I'm going to spend several hundred thousand dollars on a property. I just wish the producers would just ban that particular observation, along with "character". 

• Love 2

Finally saw the HH coast guard couple looking for a house in Hawaii.  They weren't brand new residents of Hawaii and had lived there at least 2 years in a rental, so it wasn't like they had no idea about property prices there and even talked about how expensive real estate is.  I would have enjoyed the episode more if they had stated that at the beginning and left it at that, but I guess the producers thought it would be great to hear them both whine and moan about small outdated spaces for a lot of money for 30 minutes.  The instant they walked into the townhouse I knew it was the place they would buy because it was new and had stainless appliances and the wife was happy.  I did like the realtor's warning to the hubby to not pound on the neighbor's wall. 

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 2

There are things I like and dislike about both gas and electric stoves; the ease of cleaning and lack of anything sticking up on the glass electric cooktops means I'll probably go with that when I redo my kitchen, but it's nearly a tie, and I ran a gas line to the kitchen a while back just in case.  That said, I understand strong personal preferences.  However, most of the houses in which a HH is on about there not being a gas stove are ones in which it's probably not much of a project to add a gas line, so I'd be a lot more open to "I hope we can switch to gas" than I am to the "The stove is electric; this house just will not do" storyline.

Have you ever cooked on one of those glass/ceramic smooth tops? I have one in my current apartment, and I don't like it. Yes, it is easier to clean as long as you don't spill anything and let it bake on - then you may have to break out a razor. But you have to use certain pans, for example, no aluminum unless it's clad (and preferably triple clad). The burners keep turning red/black/red/black the whole time you're cooking. I never feel confident of how long things will take or how they will turn out.

That said, I would never turn down a house because it had any particular type of stove. When buying a house, one appliance is a pretty trivial matter and easy fix.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1