Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

My master bdrm is the same way, no door between the bdrm and bathroom, and the toilet is in it's own little room. I solved the problem of light coming into the bdrm from the bathroom by putting up a nice curtain, and then I went on with my life.  lol

• Love 3

I have to laugh when those mothers want a master bedroom retreat.  I think that any mom knows that if you go into a room and close the door, the children will automatically open it and come in.  Just like when you pick up the phone, the kids are magnetically attracted to that action and must immediately speak to you on a matter of utmost urgency despite your attempts to talk on the phone.

• Love 4

What is with people who HAVE to HAVE an enormous master bedroom? I really don't get it. Are they throwing parties in there?

We enjoy holding squash tournaments in our bedroom.

laredhead, the way the Las Cruces talked about the view being so important, I never would've guessed they'd pick the place they did. Very unimpressive view.

• Love 2

Just watching "Caitlin and Bob who want to live in Manhattan Beach CA".  OMG!  The vocal fry on that woman!  Made me wonder what the world would be like if men started talking that way.

Also made me wonder how much of a sheeple you have to be to change your whole vocal style to conform to the speaking style of celebrity media whores, rather than speaking in your own voice?

I can't believe that he caved and got the piece-of-crap beach cottage for close to a million with two tiny bedrooms and one bathroom - and it's six blocks away from the ocean, ten blocks from the center of town.  And of course, they get a lab/golden retriever puppy immediately, so that's going to even cramp the space more.  And they want to start a family.  One child with all of the assorted paraphernalia that goes with a kid is going to push them right out of that house.

• Love 1

That was one classic episode! A large shedding dog at that! Yeah I remember I had similar comments- there is nowhere for a child or any of its paraphernalia that today's parents insist on.  My dad as a baby slept in a bottom dresser drawer but....Could you imagine if the fake house they toured that was totally stunning and in her same design taste was actually on the market when they really looked? She was drooling over it. It was almost like "you see stupid, this is what we could be living in!" ha ha ha. And I don't think the vocal fryers purposely set out to talk like that- they "catch" it from their roomates at school like strep throat or mono.

• Love 2

ugh that guy in Chicago was the WORST! First, his ridiculous obsession with wanting to be up high to "look down on my people" or "address my minions." Not clever, jackass. And then his reaction to the appliances in that one place, using recoiling in horror and using words like "hideous" and "disgusting." The appliances weren't dripping blood or belching out toxic fumes. They weren't even dented or chipped or old-looking. They were . . . white.

Maybe his reaction to them was a bit of performance art and he was subtly mocking the ridiculous fixation of House Hunters on stainless steel, but I don't think so. He seemed legitimately grossed out. But if that was performance art, kudos, Chicago guy.

• Love 7

The Virginia wife did slightly rub me the wrong way, but I think it was just her way of expressing herself. She had redeeming qualities, such as, she saved her nurse salary to be able to afford that budget; she was interested in adopting older kids; and even though she was OTT in love with House #1, she was able to appreciate things about the other two properties.

I would have chosen House #2. It was kind of a compromise between the other two. Even if I wasn't doing the actual work, I'd be intimidated by the thought of having to maintain 16 acres. And you never know when it's suddenly going to become your job to do it.

.Could you imagine if the fake house they toured that was totally stunning and in her same design taste was actually on the market when they really looked? She was drooling over it. It was almost like "you see stupid, this is what we could be living in!" ha ha ha. And I don't think the vocal fryers purposely set out to talk like that- they "catch" it from their roomates at school like strep throat or mono.

That first house was the perfect home for them.  But I bet she wouldn't have taken it when they were originally shopping because it wasn't "at the beach".  Though I bet now HE is wishing that it was available when they were actually looking at houses.

I find it amusing that when people in California want to live right by the beach.  Now I'm a East Coast beach person and I love being at the beach, but at least over here in NJ the water is warm enough that we can actually GO into the ocean for several months out of the year, due to the close presence of the Gulf Stream.  I was looking at a chart of the monthly avg. water temperatures up and down the Pacific coast, and that water is friggin' cold!  You can't really swim in it without getting hypothermia.  So what's the attraction of the beaches? Looking through gaps of buildings at a bit of blue and imagining that you are wealthy?  Just soaking up sun, playing beach volleyball, and walking dogs?

Going back a night, I'm glad the Chicago wife found "retro" detail and "character" in their home, because I sure didn't see any. 

To his credit, I believe the husband said something like, "We'll have to bring the character."

• Love 1

Last night's Dallas HHs.  I loved them.  No complaints..very nice about everything and didn't mention their dogs or the yard being fenced for them once.  I was shocked that they even had dogs!

What was weird was that they were looking for an old style house but the realtor showed them houses that were old style but new built in historic areas.  I've never heard of that!  I liked the tudor the best.

They ended up buying the 100 year old fixer upper with the pool..(which had to be imploded) and the wife checked to find out that nobody died in the house. 

The husband was deadpan but I liked him a lot.

Also, do you notice that every single HH in the US has a dog?  What amazes me is the realtor saying:  Rover will LOVE this yard.  Really?  do you always tell your realtor your dog's names?  And if so, do they actually remember said name.  Not so with the kids though as the HHs sometimes refer to them to their spouse as "our son and/or daughter".

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 1

Initially, the Dallas couple had me rolling my eyes. He stated that he liked the Craftsman for its use of space, etc., but then proceeded to demand a large shower and kitchen. The realtor seemed to have their number, though, showing them the pseudo old nouveau homes homes. The couple surprised me, though, by picking that old fixer. Man, it had Green Acres written all over it. It must've killed them to learn that the pool had to go, considering that it was one of their demands.

• Love 1

"Historic homes" in Dallas amused me because I don't think of Dallas as being particularly impressed with anything old.  Hence the constant expansion of the suburbs.  (Also, farewell original Dr. Pepper bottling plant.)

Last night's Dallas HHs.  I loved them.  No complaints..very nice about everything and didn't mention their dogs or the yard being fenced for them once.  I was shocked that they even had dogs!

What was weird was that they were looking for an old style house but the realtor showed them houses that were old style but new built in historic areas.  I've never heard of that!  I liked the tudor the best.

They ended up buying the 100 year old fixer upper with the pool..(which had to be imploded) and the wife checked to find out that nobody died in the house. 

The husband was deadpan but I liked him a lot.

Also, do you notice that every single HH in the US has a dog?  What amazes me is the realtor saying:  Rover will LOVE this yard.  Really?  do you always tell your realtor your dog's names?  And if so, do they actually remember said name.  Not so with the kids though as the HHs sometimes refer to them to their spouse as "our son and/or daughter".

I've noticed the focus on dogs, too.  My pet peeve or one of them, anyway, is couples who insist on taking dogs along on their house tour.  Fortunately only 1 person, a New Orleans wife IIRC, was completely inappropriate IMHO, allowing a dog access to someone's kitchen counter!

WRT children, I assume they're attempting to protect them, withholding personal information and photographs for security reasons.

• Love 1

The Virginia wife did slightly rub me the wrong way, but I think it was just her way of expressing herself. She had redeeming qualities, such as, she saved her nurse salary to be able to afford that budget; she was interested in adopting older kids; and even though she was OTT in love with House #1, she was able to appreciate things about the other two properties.

I would have chosen House #2. It was kind of a compromise between the other two. Even if I wasn't doing the actual work, I'd be intimidated by the thought of having to maintain 16 acres. And you never know when it's suddenly going to become your job to do it.

The VA wife annoyed me, too.  IMHO she was seriously over-acting.  WRT House 1, I thought she was merely following the script because the home was located in their old neighborhood.  I never believed she was serious about that home. 

In terms of the acreage, she acted like a princess (again, IMHO) so I'm sure she immediately had multiple professionals maintaining that for them. 

Edited by BearCat49

Unortunately, adopting two children will probably add more stress to the "Lockhorns" of N. Virginia.  They already seem unhappy.  Beautiful house, though.

I agree.  Although her stated intention to adopt older children was admirable, it didn't feel (for real) as if she and her husband get along that well.  Adding children will merely complicate matters, increase their stress level and most of all, be unfair to both their biological and adopted children.

I am personally sick of the increased emphasis on whether or not the dog will like the property or will be able to figure out how to climb a set of stairs.  Why does the dog even have to go upstairs, anyway?  If it wants to go up there, it'll figure out how to do it.  I couldn't care less if their dog is going to be happy with the property.

• Love 4

If it wants to go up there, it'll figure out how to do it.  I couldn't care less if their dog is going to be happy with the property.

I couldn't care less if their toddler is going to be happy with the property.

Apparently, some people think that their dogs are just as stupid as their kids and cannot learn how to walk and down up stairs. Worse, the parents themselves are too stupid to put up gates.

Stupid people breeding and owning dogs....there oughtta be a law.....And their kids (and dogs) will breed, too. We're screwed.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2

House Hunters: California to Key West

It's rare to find a couple that has realistic goals for their new home: 2 bedrooms, no mention of a second bathroom, wanted space for homeschooling, he wanted a workshop....and that was about it. The real estate agent wanted to make excuses for one kitchen (it was closed off), but the wife thought it was fine and a good size, and I, too, thought it was nice and clean and fresh-looking. She was from Honduras (judging from her accent, she's lived in the US for many years), and she thought having a washing machine and dryer outdoors was a whole lot better than doing laundry by hand, which her family did back in Honduras. Not many people look at the lesser things they once had; they look instead at the better things they recently had. Refreshing couple.

• Love 5

yes, I totally agree although I really do think a 900 square foot home is awfully small for 4 people. I think with his hardware store connections a fixer upper would have yielded more space and more equity down the road.  But yes I loved her comment about the washer and dryer LOL so true. All the HH's who say "I can't do laundry in the basement" How about you go down to the river with your clothes instead? ha ha ha

• Love 3

They were fairly likeable, but what was her deal with the stairs.  A five-year-old can't walk up a flight of stairs -- with a banister -- without also holding a parents' hand?  She was another one who had to be able to focus her eagle eye on them "while cooking in the kitchen" and was planning to homeschool, as well, rather than let them assimilate.  Some SAH mothers today are really overinvested in that role.  Especially on "House Hunters"!

• Love 4

I absolutely couldn't stand the wife..Colorado to Napa Valley this afternoon.  The price point was $1.2 million..which we know is not a lot for California.  My God picky picky picky, not a nice thing to say.

Why the hell does her father, Poppy, need his own room when he doesn't live with them and only visits once in awhile while she will have to put her sons in the same room?  She was annoying with the backyard and wanted a garden and chickens.  Don't forget her brother putting a zipline!!

The husband was a doll.  Not a bad thing to say..liked all the houses, puts up with her.

One of the nicest things I've seen in a long time was one house had a mosaic tile bathroom...very nice.

They picked the house at the top of their budget because it was on 1.5 acres of land and shockingly was the  dreaded "tract" home, however, not move in ready.

They were fairly likeable, but what was her deal with the stairs.

Forgot to put in that little caveat. Her kids weren't even all that young, that's what was so curious.

Here's a question I have for anyone who cares to answer: would you overlook a not-so-appealing (but not hideous) home if it had an interior you love?

I missed the opening bit for the Denver to Napa couple, but were those their kids?  She seemed a bit too old to have kids that young.   I thought perhaps grandparents?  He also seemed a bit younger.  I spent the whole episode  trying to figure out what the situation was.   She was annoying though.

Mojito, do you mean an unappealing exterior?  If that's what you meant, then I would consider the house if I thought the exterior/curb appeal could be improved without spending a ton on money.  I like the challenge of turning an ugly duckling into a swan, if the cost is reasonable.

I missed the opening bit for the Denver to Napa couple, but were those their kids?  She seemed a bit too old to have kids that young.   I thought perhaps grandparents?  He also seemed a bit younger.  I spent the whole episode  trying to figure out what the situation was.   She was annoying though.

Oh no...those were their kids.  It was a puzzling episode..that's for sure.

I thought that Key West couple was lucky that they would be allowed to enclose that second story screened in room.  I also wondered what her problem was with dining space when they have that screened in room right at the back of the house attached to the kitchen.  Why couldn't that be their dining room?  Put a woven blind or a translucent curtain on the side of the room that is adjacent to the next townhouse and they have a perfect room for meals.  It's not as though the weather is going to force them inside for most of the year.

I really don't like home-schooling - especially when there is a perfectly good school system available.  This is just my personal opinion, not based on any facts, but it seems to me that a lot of people do it out of fear - fear that their children are going to associate with people they define as the wrong sort, fear that their children are going to be taught real science and evolution, fear that someone else is going to help shape their children's world view, fear of not controlling every aspect of their child's life.

• Love 6

Jeff, the Denver husband completely cracked me up.  They both were so deadpan.  He wanted a quirky home, which would totally suit him.  I could see him living in a caste with a moat and being very comfortable.

• Love 1

I really don't like home-schooling - especially when there is a perfectly good school system available.  This is just my personal opinion, not based on any facts, but it seems to me that a lot of people do it out of fear - fear that their children are going to associate with people they define as the wrong sort, fear that their children are going to be taught real science and evolution, fear that someone else is going to help shape their children's world view, fear of not controlling every aspect of their child's life.

Yeah, I'm uneasy with this, too.

laredhead, yes, I was talking about ugly exteriors. Like some of those "modern" homes that look like they belong on some weird sect's compound. I've seen some really nice interiors on those homes and would overlook the outside because I'll spend most of my time looking at the inside.

• Love 1

There's a lot of those kind of exteriors on the houses redone by Tarek & Christina on their show, is it "Flip or Flop"? (not sure of the name though it seems to be on endlessly on HGTV in the evenings)

Some of those exteriors are simply butt-ugly and/or as plain as loaf of white bread.  There are very few exteriors that they do that, I think anyway, really improve the look of the house - other than cleaning it up with new paint and trim.  And there have been some houses, based upon their architectural style that could have had much greater curb appeal if they weren't going for the bare minimum in exterior improvements.

I'm not that picky about exteriors, because they can always be improved on if you're willing to either take a few chances or hire someone to redesign the look. 

• Love 2

I thought that Key West couple was lucky that they would be allowed to enclose that second story screened in room.  I also wondered what her problem was with dining space when they have that screened in room right at the back of the house attached to the kitchen.  Why couldn't that be their dining room?  Put a woven blind or a translucent curtain on the side of the room that is adjacent to the next townhouse and they have a perfect room for meals.  It's not as though the weather is going to force them inside for most of the year.

I think it also comes in very handy as an excuse not to find even a part-time job.  A disproportionate number of these displaced wives seem averse to helping their long-suffering -- and often long-commuting -- husbands pay the rent or mortgage on the extravagant housing (complete with four bathrooms, two guest rooms, and an "updated" kitchen with a dishwasher) upon which they all seem to insist...  Almost with a vengeance, one might say!

• Love 1

I think it also comes in very handy as an excuse not to find even a part-time job.  A disproportionate number of these displaced wives seem averse to helping their long-suffering -- and often long-commuting -- husbands pay the rent or mortgage on the extravagant housing (complete with four bathrooms, two guest rooms, and an "updated" kitchen with a dishwasher) upon which they all seem to insist...  Almost with a vengeance, one might say!

That might very well be the case with some. Labor laws might prevent others.

• Love 2

I think it also comes in very handy as an excuse not to find even a part-time job.  A disproportionate number of these displaced wives seem averse to helping their long-suffering -- and often long-commuting -- husbands pay the rent or mortgage on the extravagant housing (complete with four bathrooms, two guest rooms, and an "updated" kitchen with a dishwasher) upon which they all seem to insist...  Almost with a vengeance, one might say!

JMHO but I don't believe it's fair to judge these homeowners (in this way, so severely) for lines uttered on a reality, meaning not-reality, television program.  The reason they may appear to "insist" on anything, IMHO, is that the producers require them to.  For purposes of this program, they're merely actors, IMHO.

BTW, I badmouth the participants here, too but I try to avoid the obvious lines that we hear over and over, ad nauseum and not take it quite that far.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

Forgot to put in that little caveat. Her kids weren't even all that young, that's what was so curious.

Here's a question I have for anyone who cares to answer: would you overlook a not-so-appealing (but not hideous) home if it had an interior you love?

Location, location, location, IMHO is always the most important factor.  Curb appeal's another variable that affects the decision-making process.  The homebuyer can factor in the estimated cost of desired improvements when comparing potential homes.

That said, we know that for many, if not most potential homebuyers, even analytical ones, home buying is an emotional decision.  And, the decision is apparently made within a couple minutes of arrival at the initial home tour.  So, if a potential home buyer doesn't care for the home's curb appeal, they might never reach the stage of considering the improvement costs when comparing multiple properties.

JMHO

ETA - Or, given the current importance of the online virtual tour, the home buyer might reject the property before touring it, if the curb appeal needs improvement.

Edited by BearCat49

That might very well be the case with some. Labor laws might prevent others.

Do you mean HHI, WRT the expat situation, mojito?

What's always amazed me is how frequently, either reading participant blogs after-the-fact or in the final, postscript scene that's filmed around the same time as all the other scenes (no matter what the onscreen banner indicates), the non-working spouse, even internationally, states that they'd already found a job.  So, for me, that says the moaning about the budget and the change to one working spouse is producer-driven.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

This is just a friendly note to say there are always going to be opinions here, some stronger than others where these house hunting folks are concerned. So critique is fair game as long as it is not homophobic, racist, or the usual landmine categories.

These people knew the score going in, to be on TV. So if posters take issue, provided it is, as stated, none of the "no no" categories, it's fine.

If this kind of critique does bother you (the universal you here!), please scroll or feel free to use the ignore feture that this board provides.

Thank you! Any other questions or issues, feel free to send a PM.

• Love 2

Here we go again. Aurora Illinois couple were approved for up to $250,000. They did not want to max out their budget which I understand. I think the formula they use to approve you is something like 1/3 of your income on housing. I always thought the formula they used was way too much for the housing part of the budget and better to go well below the approved amount just so you can breathe.

This couple, after stating they don't want to go all the way to $250K, buy a house for $240K. She says "the house was well under budget so that gave us money to use to furnish it and to do some other improvements" - they act like they had $250K saved up to purchase a house so they had 10K cash left over to buy furniture. Did they finance the house for $250K and thereby get $10,000 cash from the mortgage to buy furniture? NO of course they didn't! More likely, they saved $10,000 of their MAXIMUM budget which only LOWERS their payment by about $35 a month- so they had $35 a month extra in their budget to furnish the house? None of these things add up at all, yet they say this every single show! Rich people who are $150,000 below their million dollar budget- that I understand have money "left-over" to do improvements. In general when they say Under Budget would give us money left over, I figure they mean a lower monthly payment you have some extra money each month to put into improvements. But not thousands of dollars left over in your budget each month, maybe around $100, which you can save for a few years and then get the new flooring. Someone help me, I just can't anymore with this show.

Pet peeve all right!

• Love 4

I understand what you mean about the "we'll have $20,000 if it's that under budget". But in our case, the first house we bought we had a goal of 20% down so as not to pay mortgage insurance. We got a good deal on the house, so there was money left over in savings to add the screened in porch we wanted paying with cash. We did so well in selling that house, we were able to put down an over 63% down payment on a house we had to up our budget $100K to get the house we wanted, and still had enough cash to add our screened in porch. I can see how people who are building equity when selling can have cash left over for improvements, or have saved enough to not need their entire savings on a down payment.

Do you mean HHI, WRT the expat situation, mojito?

Yes. I've heard spouses in some countries state that they couldn't work. Sometimes I forget which topic I'm in when it comes to HH/HHI.

I would agree that the home schooling project works as a good excuse to justify not to go back to work outside the home. I've got a cousin who stopped working when she gave birth and never went back. She felt that she had put in her time, and her husband's income was sufficient to support the family.

Not everyone needs outside employment to define their self-identity; I know that I never did. My job was merely a way to support myself. On the other hand, one of my friends totally defined her worth by her job, so you can just imagine the emotional crash that occurred when she was laid-off while in her forties.

Edited by DownTheShore

Yes. I've heard spouses in some countries state that they couldn't work. Sometimes I forget which topic I'm in when it comes to HH/HHI.

No worries, mojito.  I do the same thing and wish the detailed info was shown at the bottom of each page instead of simply, "House Hunters".

Have you noticed how often those HHI participants, typically the ex-pat's wife, have found employment by the final scene of the show, lol?  It's filmed over a 2 week period - that is, the crew doesn't return at a later date - so we know it's producer-driven.

Apparently tptb believe it's romantic to claim that nearly 100% of the HHI participants simply dropped everything and relocated, internationally, without securing housing or employment or shipping their furniture or ...

Here we go again. Aurora Illinois couple were approved for up to $250,000. They did not want to max out their budget which I understand. I think the formula they use to approve you is something like 1/3 of your income on housing. I always thought the formula they used was way too much for the housing part of the budget and better to go well below the approved amount just so you can breathe.

This couple, after stating they don't want to go all the way to $250K, buy a house for $240K. She says "the house was well under budget so that gave us money to use to furnish it and to do some other improvements" - they act like they had $250K saved up to purchase a house so they had 10K cash left over to buy furniture. Did they finance the house for $250K and thereby get $10,000 cash from the mortgage to buy furniture? NO of course they didn't! More likely, they saved $10,000 of their MAXIMUM budget which only LOWERS their payment by about $35 a month- so they had $35 a month extra in their budget to furnish the house? None of these things add up at all, yet they say this every single show! Rich people who are $150,000 below their million dollar budget- that I understand have money "left-over" to do improvements. In general when they say Under Budget would give us money left over, I figure they mean a lower monthly payment you have some extra money each month to put into improvements. But not thousands of dollars left over in your budget each month, maybe around $100, which you can save for a few years and then get the new flooring. Someone help me, I just can't anymore with this show.

Pet peeve all right!

Agree, Bellalisa.  It's ridiculous.  IMHO, the key words in your post were "they say this every single show". 

Incidentally, the housing formula varies by geographical area.  It's as much as 40% in areas where RE is extremely expensive.

Did not like the Chicago couple tonight. They were planning their wedding and moving in together. He wanted a Mad Men kind of place--modern. She wanted a brownstone. Her voice drove me nuts. Talked in a little girl voice. I thought they made digs at each other. She said he got crabby when he got sick. He didn't ever want his hair to get messed up. He commented on her extensive wardrobe and how she had no plans to stop buying. I predict divorce in a few years. Lol.

• Love 5

Chicago girl's voice was Cecily Strong on SNL doing "The Girl You Wish You Hadn't Started a Conversation With at a Party".

That's where I heard that before! She drove me nuts. Well, they both did. The guy seemed so satisfied with his taste for classic design. We get it, you know about design, enough. But I still enjoyed seeing the Chicago houses.