Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

While it takes slightly more effort from the producers, I'd much rather they present actual, interesting people and then show a selection of homes that may or may not fit with what they're looking for.

And that's why I liked the Salem, OR couple. Yes, they disagreed on the style of house they wanted. But they were a down-to-earth, likable couple with reasonable requests for their new home. I think that when the wife rattled off 10 "essential" items on her wish list, that was purely for comedic effect. I laughed when they were shown a huge walk-in closet, and the wife said, "I guess I'll have to get some more clothes." Which isn't what House Hunters usually say. But they kept saying that a big yard would be good for Cheerio (the dog), but when they talked about the baby, they mentioned him walking in a walker. He doesn't get to go outside?

Don't you know, the space for the dog is ALWAYS more important than the space for any current or future kids?

We simply:

- must have hardwood floors because of the dog

- must have a big yard for the dog to run around in

- must have a fenced in property so the dog doesn't run away or into the street

- must have room in our bedroom for the dog bed

- must not have a circular stair or open steps because the dog might not be able to deal with it

- must get a dog (or a second one) as the first thing we do after buying a home

• Love 4

And that's why I liked the Salem, OR couple. Yes, they disagreed on the style of house they wanted. But they were a down-to-earth, likable couple with reasonable requests for their new home. I think that when the wife rattled off 10 "essential" items on her wish list, that was purely for comedic effect. I laughed when they were shown a huge walk-in closet, and the wife said, "I guess I'll have to get some more clothes." Which isn't what House Hunters usually say. But they kept saying that a big yard would be good for Cheerio (the dog), but when they talked about the baby, they mentioned him walking in a walker. He doesn't get to go outside?

Yep, that's another one of the closet comments - some version of the wife saying, "Now I get to go shopping."  Or, "I can buy more shoes."  Can't remember exactly but thought the Salem dh got in at least one comment along the lines of, "Nothing will change.  I'll put my clothes in the other room."

The little boy was a doll but probably still crawling.  For that reason, I gave them a break on the possible favoritism of the pup.

I hope the Pittsburgh house is on a future HH Renovations.  I liked that the young woman was not afraid of some renovation, and actually knew  something about renovating older houses instead of some of the people we have seen who think it's a snap to remodel a house.  Her mother seemed very knowledgeable about home reno too since she had been involved in several projects over the years.  No mention of stainless, granite, double sinks or any of the other fluff that usually is uttered by the HH.  Had to laugh at the realtor making light of the fact that one of the houses leaned quite a bit and then he tells her she should get a structural engineer to check it out.  The boyfriend was offering good advice on safe areas, but I think it was clear that he understood his role in the relationship which was after the dog and the house.  If he produces a ring, he might move up the pecking order.   

• Love 7

now I've heard it all! The Oklahoma City guy saying dealbreaker:  No Stainless Steel appliances. So you find the house of your dreams, everything is perfect except the appliances are not stainless steel..so you don't buy it? How can something that you can easily change out be a dealbreaker? His girlfiend/realtor's wife was a real piece of work. I had the feeling she had terrible taste. 

• Love 1

HH "Where are They Now"

Was watching an episode with this one guy with a swiffer mop and a bottle of hardwood spray cleaner/polish who had insisted on hardwood floors instead of carpet said that he now regrets the entire house being hardwood. He said that he spends most of his time swiffering the floors because you can see every smudge mark on those hardwood floors.

I agree that you have to do a lot of mopping with hardwood/laminate because I have laminate floors and smudges drive me crazy.  lol

I recently saw an episode with a male couple who were buying a place in Manhattan who had a $1 million budget.  I could not believe how little you got for that kind of money.  I know it's Manhattan, but REALLY small and in some cases, insanely laid out.

They were charming and I adored one of them for stating the following (slight paraphrase):  "I hate granite and stainless steel appliances.  I think we're going to look back and remember them the same way we thought avocado appliances were so cool and modern."

I feel the exact same way and have made the same avocado reference myself.  I know that I am in the minority but surrounded by all that silver I feel like a baked potato.  My last two applicance purchases were white.  And if I ever upgrade my counter, I would want Corian or Quartz so that I could undermount my sink.

• Love 2

Just watched the couple buying a house in Venice Beach with a budget of $2.5 million.  Her voice was like fingernails over a chalk board for most of the program.  I think she's practicing vocal fry and hasn't quite perfected it yet.  They are looking in Venice Beach, yet she wants a huge yard, a pool and a Cape Cod style house.  A couple of times she was almost pouting about the lack of these desired features.  You're in Venice Beach, lady, not North Carolina (her home state).  Even the realtor commented that the HH needed to revise her expectations.  New deal breaker drama - hatred of bath tubs.  Just when you think you've heard them all.    

• Love 7
Just watched the couple buying a house in Venice Beach with a budget of $2.5 million.  Her voice was like fingernails over a chalk board for most of the program.  I think she's practicing vocal fry and hasn't quite perfected it yet.

She drove me nuts. I decided she must have come from a family with money, because she seemed somewhat "entitled," and she was so dorky, and with that voice, I couldn't figure out what her husband saw in her when they met on an airplane. Did they say what either of them does for a living? Are they techies that have made a lot of money on some startup company?

• Love 4

She drove me nuts. I decided she must have come from a family with money, because she seemed somewhat "entitled," and she was so dorky, and with that voice, I couldn't figure out what her husband saw in her when they met on an airplane. Did they say what either of them does for a living? Are they techies that have made a lot of money on some startup company?

I couldn't see the appeal either. If I remember correctly, they introduced them as lawyer (him) and family therapist (her). I couldn't imagine taking her seriously as a therapist. She seems very childish and spoiled.

• Love 3

That Venice Beach couple...She didn't seem to have any understanding of real estate on the west coast. She wanted to be near the beach and have an estate at the same time for $2.5 million."Where's my pool?" In Venice Beach. A block from the Pacific Ocean. And her insistence on both white countertops and white cabinets. Note how she had to correct him when he said that she grew up on a three-acre lot. "Five." She was just so unlikable.

It must've been an arranged marriage. He got paid big bucks for marrying her. Plus he got a woman 20 years younger in the deal. Surely if he we were doing the picking, he'd've done a better job. Maybe she's a lucky gold digger who found this guy at a vulnerable time in his life. Maybe she's his sixth wife and she's the only person he found who liked him back.

Yeah, as a couple, I didn't find them convincing.

• Love 6

HH "Where are They Now"

Was watching an episode with this one guy with a swiffer mop and a bottle of hardwood spray cleaner/polish who had insisted on hardwood floors instead of carpet said that he now regrets the entire house being hardwood. He said that he spends most of his time swiffering the floors because you can see every smudge mark on those hardwood floors.

I agree that you have to do a lot of mopping with hardwood/laminate because I have laminate floors and smudges drive me crazy.  lol

It depends on the color- all these people insisting on the dark floors are dumb because those show every little speck of lint, dust, dirt. A more medium or lighter stained hardwood like I have downstairs in my house shows nothing. They all hate when the floors are NOT stained dark-- just wait until they move in with those dark hardwood floors. Terrible. Okay for bedrooms but not kitchen and family rooms.

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 2

Just watched the couple buying a house in Venice Beach with a budget of $2.5 million.  Her voice was like fingernails over a chalk board for most of the program.

She was horrible. I didn't see what he got out of the deal, either. And whining about the lack of magnetic refrigerator, microwave, and presence of great bathtubs? Ack ack ack. She got on my last nerve. And seriously, a therapist who has a lifelong fear of bathtubs because of a spider? I agree--no taking her seriously as a therapist. Such an immature nitwit.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 6

If I heard one more time about the magnetic refrigerator I was going to go crazy!  Two whiners for the price of one.  I can't believe that was all they could find for 2.5 million dollars.  Wow a 20 year age difference.  I can't see what they saw in each other.

I saw one this afternoon in Chicago with stay at home mom with the worst vocal fry!  I wanted to mute it.  He was worried about walking to the train and she was worried about being able to see the kids while she spent all day cooking.

• Love 1

Could not stand the Venice Ca couple.  Her comment about what $2.5 would buy in NC was stupid----a 12,000 sqft house in the "country club" just pointed out to me that she's a spoiled brat from a very high income family.  And his insanity for a frig for magnets?  Come on, there are a lot of places you can show off your travels with those incipid magnets.  Ever hear of getting them framed? 

I keep saying this again and again, and I know a lot of this crap is scripted, but I just scream when I hear these HH, when moving to another part of the country, wanting a type of house that doesn't exist in their new surroundings.  If you want a freaking Cape Cod, then move to the east coast and not to California. 

• Love 4

....she was worried about being able to see the kids while she spent all day cooking.

I wonder where that comes from? Was someone emotionally (or physically) scarred as a child because her mother was in a closed-off kitchen while she tumbled down the stairs (what could Mom have done if she were watching, anyway?)/sat in her room with her things and nearly perished from loneliness/was beat up by another sibling? What in these women's pasts make them so paranoid about their children not being watched at all times?

Admittedly, I'm a baby boomer. We watched ourselves. No one tried to kidnap us because if they did, they'd have to take at least six of us at once because we were so frequently in packs. If we hurt ourselves, we treated it and went back to play. Honestly, I never knew a single child who was incapacitated beyond a broken bone (which meant trying to do the same things, only now with a sling or a crutch). And that's the kind of thing that can happen while you're being watched like a hawk. Rarely did anyone break a bone anyway. How did we baby boomers raise such helicopter parents? How did that happen? It's downright embarrassing!

• Love 8

Admittedly, I'm a baby boomer. We watched ourselves. No one tried to kidnap us because if they did, they'd have to take at least six of us at once because we were so frequently in packs. If we hurt ourselves, we treated it and went back to play. Honestly, I never knew a single child who was incapacitated beyond a broken bone (which meant trying to do the same things, only now with a sling or a crutch). And that's the! kind of thing that can happen while you're being watched like a hawk. Rarely did anyone break a bone anyway.

LOL!  Isn't that the truth!  They turned us loose in the mornings on non-school days.  We'd wander back for lunch and supper, and then knew to  be back home when the streetlights turned on.  We roamed far and wide, never alone, usually in a pack of five.  I stepped on a bee while at the local park and the bottom of my foot started to swell up.  Did I run home crying?  Nope.  I just went into the over-chlorinated kiddie pool and stayed there for at least a half an hour, figuring that that would take care of it.  I was about 9 at the time.   Never even mentioned it to my mom until I was an adult.  And I was in the park, as usual, with my 5 year old sister.

And there always was a pack of us.  My small street had six houses on it, all of them containing 2-4 apartments.  There were 18 children living on that street.   There was only one household up the block where the mother could be termed a "smother".  The parents had their daughters late in life and they were never allowed to play in the streets or in the park.   They were the exception to the rule.

• Love 5

Charlotte, NC couple that just moved from Savannah were super obnoxious. They both worked my nerves but her more than him. She was completely full of it too. She wants 3,000 sqft but wants 3 1/2 baths which almost always means bigger and said flat out that the living room/dining room combo was out for her and then when showed a 3,000 sqft home said the room was "way too small" but still complains about the house size being too big when shown the 3 1/2 baths.

I can actually appreciate the 3 1/2 bath request because she said she grew up with 5 people sharing one bathroom, but it's just 2 of them with their 3 dogs with the occasional visit from their daughter. Exactly what is her issue at this point in time that she wants that? What ratio of person to bath does she need??? No way does this harpy have friends who are visiting constantly that aren't of the canine variety. Can you imagine if this chick had kids still at home? She'd be looking for a house with 8 bathrooms.

I have a new appreciation for the annoying, picky woman from Georgia several months ago who complained about wanting things just so but when they weren't she did undertake a massive renovation so the house met her standards and was steering the project whereas this woman is complaining a lot but doesn't have the time because she's too busy being a stay at home mom to her 3 dogs. Bitch please! You've got the time to hire someone to install shelves in the closet and the crown molding of your choice!

I can remember one other woman who said she was a "stay at home mom to dogs" and she lost me at that moment just as this one did. I love dogs, but just stop. I didn't even realize they had a daughter she was so busy talking about those dogs.

• Love 5

Charlotte, NC couple that just moved from Savannah were super obnoxious. They both worked my nerves but her more than him. She was completely full of it too. She wants 3,000 sqft but wants 3 1/2 baths which almost always means bigger and said flat out that the living room/dining room combo was out for her and then when showed a 3,000 sqft home said the room was "way too small" but still complains about the house size being too big when shown the 3 1/2 baths.

I can actually appreciate the 3 1/2 bath request because she said she grew up with 5 people sharing one bathroom, but it's just 2 of them with their 3 dogs with the occasional visit from their daughter. Exactly what is her issue at this point in time that she wants that? What ratio of person to bath does she need???

I did not like those people, to put it mildly, though it was at least refreshing for the husband to flat-out call his wife's bathroom obsession "insane."  It makes no sense and the bathroom situation from her childhood (what is it with house hunters and their idiotic childhood phobias?) has nothing to do with anything. 

They should have side-by-side episodes where people like these two look at these mcmansions and then people who grew up in a refugee camp in Vietnam or something look at them as well.  The different perspectives would be interesting. 

• Love 4

The part of the episode with the NC couple that made me laugh out loud was when they were shown a walk-in closet that didn't have any fixtures and the wife was all "It doesn't have any shelves! Who does that? I don't understand!"

You're just going to order a closet system, so instead of making those choices for you, the builder left it open. You're not going to have to tear out whatever placeholders could have been installed and have to have the walls patched (which is what I'm having to do, since the builder of my house put in basic hanger bars. It's kind of a waste.)

Hubs just made me super-sad when he basically said he wanted the most ginormous house he could get, to make a statement of how rich they are. All that electricity to air-condition that big ol' mcmansion when he could have just printed up a business card emblazoned with his bank balance for the same results.

Edited by Reishe
  • Love 6

I was just coming here to complain about the obnoxious NCers but I see you guys beat me to it!  God was she annoying and entitled.  When they said stay at home mom to the dogs I just rolled my eyes.  I'm not even thinking this was production as she seems like the type that would say it.

She was more vocal about it but he was just as annoying.  I said brick..not stone.  What? No pool????  What were you thinking!!

I'm curious to which company he is a CEO of. I wonder if the investors know where their money is going? Two people don't need a four thousand square foot home. I understand wants but c'mon. They said at the beginning they didn't know anyone yet. So it's just the two of them roaming on this huge home bathroom surfing. also your not a stay at home mom. You don't work, just say it. Jeeze.

• Love 1

I was just in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge yesterday!  It's a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from where I live.  When I saw the cabins in the preview, I wondered if that might be this episode's location (no description provided in my on-screen guide).  My aunt and uncle actually owned a cabin there about 30 years ago; a cousin was married in it.  I loved to visit there.  Those steep, curvy roads leading to all those mountain cabins can be pretty tricky when the snow and ice move in.  But I believe they stay pretty well booked up. 

• Love 1

Please tell me some of you are watching the Arkansas woman house hunting in Gatlinburg!  What a voice!

OMG the voice!  She was so annoying and yet so stubborn about the "romantic cabin".  All he cared about was the rental amount but I somehow knew there was no way he was going to win. 

Frankly, I wouldn't want to own a "romantic" rental cabin.  I'd want one that has the amenities that people want, but that encourages them to be outdoors and going places, to put less wear and tear on the cabin.  A romantic place is going to have the people inside it all the time. ;->

• Love 1

I'm with the wife as far as not renting out to a lot of people. The place can become a frat boy rental in no time.

There was no consideration mentioned for accommodating the couple's daughter's needs. Guess they intend to leave her home with the nanny.

Still think it sucks to commit yourself to one vacation getaway; when you pay for it, you feel you have to use it. As well, everyone you know will question the wisdom of purchasing the place if you don't use it all the time, and let's face it, people care what their friends think. In no time, they'll probably find themselves dreading the 10-hour drive to get there. I've seen this scenario played out before. It's kind of like buying a boat, and the pressure people feel to use it and maintain it. And, as they say, the second happiest day of a boat owner's life is the day they sell it.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 1

I was just in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge yesterday!  It's a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive from where I live.  When I saw the cabins in the preview, I wondered if that might be this episode's location (no description provided in my on-screen guide).  My aunt and uncle actually owned a cabin there about 30 years ago; a cousin was married in it.  I loved to visit there.  Those steep, curvy roads leading to all those mountain cabins can be pretty tricky when the snow and ice move in.  But I believe they stay pretty well booked up. 

I've been there a couple times myself for family events.  Bought my favorite shirt in Gatlinburg.  The town parts are pretty frustrating to drive through (the husband called it "Branson on steroids" IIRC) but you're right those mountain cabins are great.  It can get pretty scenic up there.

I honestly have no idea what was romantic or not about any of those places.  Though it seemed the wife perked up as they looked at the one place that had a bar, pool table and 6-seater hot tub.  Nasty.

Nothing says romantic like a pool table at the front door! Guess that's for people who can't wait to get to the bedroom.

lol, mojito!  You remember that they took the nicer (IMHO) place that had the lower level basement/entertaining space for the bar, pool table and hot tub.  You're correct that the realtor called that other one the "romantic" place!  Had that same thought - hope nobody trips over that pool table on their way to the gorgeous (yuch) in-room tub for 2! 

I was amazed at the husband's big concern over the rental market.  How many middle-aged husbands would be thrilled to hear their wife going on about "romance"?  Hmmm, they only had 1 child so IDK???

Couldn't stand the Charlotte couple.  He looked like a used car salesman* with short man's complex, to me - no offense to anyone, BTW.  His apparent insecurities and desire to keep up with the Joneses was sad.

Looked him up and his situation was what I'd guessed.  He'd been in mgmt. for a larger finance company* and was given the opportunity to invest in a new operation, essentially buying his way in to the CEO position.  So, he has an incentive to throw his weight around.  Hope he doesn't overextend, later finding himself on the wrong end of a few loan portfolios.

They're o.k. now b/c they restarted an established finance company and obtained a new line of credit.  Down the road, if their portfolio goes sour, things could get rough.  BTW, he's doing sub-prime financing so very high risk loans that typically have a higher level of defaults.

If nothing else, it shouldn't be tough for his wife to return to work as an RN - that is, after the dogs have been properly trained and weaned.  Too bad their daughter inherited his body.  Well, if she can just get mom to tone down those fish lips!

*ETA:  Neglected to mention that yes, his company primarily does auto finance!

Edited by BearCat49

Regarding the Gatlinburg couple, he said they already own a condo on the Gulf and would only be using the mountain house a couple of times a year.  He was into maximizing his investment.  Maybe they should go for a place that sleeps 20 people and rent a cozy, romantic cabin for themselves for the 2 times a year they plan to visit.  Her overuse of the word "romantic" got a bit old by the time the show was over.   We went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon 44 years ago.  Wow, has it changed. 

• Love 1

Regarding the Gatlinburg couple, he said they already own a condo on the Gulf and would only be using the mountain house a couple of times a year.  He was into maximizing his investment.  Maybe they should go for a place that sleeps 20 people and rent a cozy, romantic cabin for themselves for the 2 times a year they plan to visit.  Her overuse of the word "romantic" got a bit old by the time the show was over.   We went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon 44 years ago.  Wow, has it changed. 

I was surprised, too, laredhead, b/c they did mention their FL condo.  Running a restaurant is hands-on with minimal days off and time away.  Don't see how they'd have enough time to enjoy another vacation home.  Plus, it sounds as if many of their visits might include work, i.e. monitoring their investment. 

Your idea's one possibility for them but, IMHO, we don't have enough detailed RE information to know if a larger place, renting to larger groups, results in more net income.  More people translates to more maintenance, more management and typically higher carrying costs.

Also, we don't have enough detailed RE information regarding the demand curve for larger rentals in that area.  Just b/c the realtor mentions that you "can" rent the place for as much as $400 per night if you fix it up and rent to larger families doesn't mean that demand exists for that size place.  For example, what if there's still a higher demand for places that sleep say 4-8 people per night at $250 per night.  Let's say you could possibly rent a smaller place for twice as many nights (annually) with lower carrying costs and less wear and tear from children and pets.

Could be that Gatlinburg overbuilt larger units over the last few decades and now has a glut of them available.  So an updated, smaller, less expensive, "romantic" (blech) unit may be more attractive and receive more business, overall.  And, they could easily place a Murphy bed in that basement and probably sleep 6-10, possibly appealing to both larger and smaller groups.  Bottom line, IMHO, the answer is probably, it depends.  Without more information, we don't know. 

• Love 1

If any of you have Android phones or tablets, check out the Dwellable app.  It showcases vacation homes all over the US and other places around the world.  It looks like it's one of those by-owner rental programs.  It's great for the home-voyeurs in us all.  I just find it fun to check out what's available in whatever place strikes my fancy at the moment, or places that I've just seen on a HH/HHI episode because they include interior and exterior multiple images of the property.  They have a bunch of vacation homes listed for the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, BTW.  I've been able to put the app on my Kindle Fire HDX and my Nook HD.

The husband in last night's Boise Idaho episode had worse vocal fry than any woman.  I wanted to mute it so bad.  I can't stand when one of the HHs talks and talks just to hear the sound of their voice throughout the episode.  God he was so annoying.

And then he wanted that stupid log cabin cluttered house way out in the boondocks to leave his wife and baby alone in while he traveled extensively.  I wanted to reach through the TV and punch him in the head. 

Thank God the wife won out and they got the home in a neighborhood where'd she have neighbors and can shop, etc,  Of course it was a new build and I always say 90% of the time they take the new build.

• Love 1

The Arkansas to Tennessee couple seeking an investment property/romantic getaway in a cabin near Gatlinburg.  First of all, didn't they say they drove ten hours?  That must've been a circuitous route!  Secondly, couldn't they buy a large place to satisfy the husband's need for decent rental income and just decorate one suite "romantically" to suit the woman's desire for a cozy getaway?  She seemed amazed that there would be a spa tub in the bedroom.  The ole' HGTV-driven conflict.  However, I did not realize that Gatlinburg was a popular ski resort (?), so at least this episode was educational.

• Love 1

I didn't understand how having an extra bedroom and a larger living room, kitchen or space for a pool table would make anything less romantic.  Small does not equal romantic, so I'm puzzled about that whole thing.  Unless she figured if it were a small place, only couples seeking romance would rent it rather than families with children.

• Love 1

I didn't understand how having an extra bedroom and a larger living room, kitchen or space for a pool table would make anything less romantic.  Small does not equal romantic, so I'm puzzled about that whole thing.  Unless she figured if it were a small place, only couples seeking romance would rent it rather than families with children.

Agree, izabella, I believe she was talking about appealing to a certain segment of the market, as I posted about, above.  Families arrive with children and (often) dogs in tow and can be very destructive to vacation rentals, resulting in (proportionally) much more work and expense for the homeowner.  As I mentioned above, depending on the relative demand for each market segment, a smaller unit might result in a higher net profit.

BTW, certain topics, including pet deposits, animal prohibitions and children's age restrictions weren't addressed during the episode.  Like anything else, they affect the demand curve; the more restrictions a vacation homeowner places on a particular unit, the lower the demand for that unit.  So, again, it's about finding the right mix to generate the desired demand at an optimal rate, ultimately resulting in their desired level of net profit.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1

The Arkansas to Tennessee couple seeking an investment property/romantic getaway in a cabin near Gatlinburg.  First of all, didn't they say they drove ten hours?  That must've been a circuitous route! 

I don't recall where they said they were from but it's a 9-hour drive from Little Rock to Gatlinburg without stopping.

Tonight's episode was newlyweds in Denver.  We turned it off after 3 minutes, once we learned that he wants a giant house for all their kids but she wants a small fixer upper because they don't actually have any kids yet.  Next.

• Love 1

If any of you have Android phones or tablets, check out the Dwellable app.  It showcases vacation homes all over the US and other places around the world.  It looks like it's one of those by-owner rental programs.  It's great for the home-voyeurs in us all.  I just find it fun to check out what's available in whatever place strikes my fancy at the moment, or places that I've just seen on a HH/HHI episode because they include interior and exterior multiple images of the property.  They have a bunch of vacation homes listed for the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area, BTW.  I've been able to put the app on my Kindle Fire HDX and my Nook HD.

Agree, DownTheShore.  vrbo.com is another good source.  In fact, hadn't planned on looking it up but their cabin came right up, first search.  Surprises me that they're not trying to use the HH connection to advertise the place.  Many others have indicated, "Featured on House Hunters" in their vacation home listing's title.  Looks like they're from Hot Springs so that probably explains the 10 hour drive.

http://www.vrbo.com/579752

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 2

Also, no mention as to who was going to keep up that rental property for them -- everything from clearing snow and ice in winter to home repairs to changing out the sheets and towels, assuming it rents fully furnished -- with them ten hours away in Arkansas!  Unless it's part of an already-established vacation program with onsite management (no doubt like their high-rise condo at the beach), that's gonna require a lot of 20-hour round trips!  Seems strange she'd want it for what sounded like impromptu weekend getaways when it will take an entire weekend just to get there and back?  At any rate, not suprising that HH wouldn't delve into the practical considerations given that they have never featured so much as one home inspection and very rarely even venture into the basement during tours of properties...

• Love 1

and very rarely even venture into the basement during tours of properties...

Oh, they have to go into the basement, so the husband can determine whether it can be turned into a "man cave" in which he can hide away while his wife cooks dinner - while watching the kids from her "open concept" kitchen, of course.

• Love 3

Oh, right...  Or so the woman can squeal about "ghosts"...  Maybe I meant crawlspaces...

Also, I wondered if this episode might be a pilot for a new HGTV show, "Smoky Mountain Bargain Hunters"?  Everyone I know drives to Gatlinburg every year (mostly just to shop), so it grabbed my investment-seeking attention!

Edited by joanofarch4
  • Love 1