Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Kelley Wentworth

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Meet Kelley Wentworth from Survivor: San Juan del Sur (Season 29), who returns to play on Survivor Cambodia: Second Chance.

This Survivor: San Jan del Sur castaway entered the game with her father, Dale Wentworth, and played peacemaker alongside his more outspoken nature.

However, when the Wentworths tried to align with Jacyln Schultz and Jon Misch to stay in the game, the couple chose to side with mother-daughter duo Missy Payne and Baylor Wilson instead, which ultimately sent Kelley out of the game.

Here is your Kelley Wentworth topic.

Wasn't a fan of Kelley's.  Since she harps on not being able to play her own game last time because of her dad (which is true), let's see if she can back it up.  Kelley gives me the feeling that she knows she has a lot to prove.  She's getting a lot of positive pre-game hype from some analysts.

I'm still on the fence about liking Kelley, but she had a good episode.  I have to give credit where it is due, and managing to get that idol without anyone seeing was brilliant.  I can already see where playing with her dad definitely hindered her.  I'm hopeful she's going to be a strong player.

"Holmes: Did you guys have any idea that Kelley had found the idol?
Baskauskas: No clue. She did a good job of hiding it. She did tell a pretty good lie about why she had to wear her shorts to the challenge. Most of us were wearing our underwear. I thought it was a cool twist.
Holmes: I heard her explanation for wearing the shorts, we don’t have to explore it further, but it was veryclever.
Baskauskas: (Laughs) We don’t need to say anything more about that. Totally something I didn’t think twice about."

From Vytas's exit interview.

It sounds like Kelly told people that she had her period and needed to wear more then her bathing suit. Smart, smart play. Brilliant even. I so wish they showed that. I know why they didn't, god forbid someone use the word period or menstration on tv, but that shows how smart she is playing. She found the clue, knew it would be a water challenge and that everyone would be in bathing suits and came up with a plausible reason for wearing her shorts.

• Love 5

I was literally holding my breath every time she looked back. I was so scared someone would see her... especially Spencer and Abi since they both also seemed to be looking around.

I was so set up for a classic Survivor disappointment, too.  Like the Exile Alliance, etc.  Reality being what it is (sigghhhhhhh yes henripootel I know, I know) mostly the dramatic thing doesn't happen.  But here, as in HvV with handing Russell the idol mid-challenge, it did!

It sounds like Kelly told people that she had her period and needed to wear more then her bathing suit. Smart, smart play. Brilliant even. I so wish they showed that. I know why they didn't, god forbid someone use the word period or menstration on tv, but that shows how smart she is playing.

No quicker way to get men to want to change the subject than to say it's your period.  Reminds me of that great moment in the movie Volver where Penelope Cruz's daughter have just knifed her husband to death and Cruz goes to answer the door.  It's the guy next door.  He sees blood all over her and says, "Is anything wrong?!" and she says, "Oh, you know, women's stuff."  :)

Edited by Special K
  • Love 3

I am so excited she's back! Hopefully she'll prove me right about being a much better player than what was shown last time. Actually, I think she has already shown that since she got more airtime this episode than on her entire season.

• Love 1

I've always agreed with her that Dale greatly held her back in San Juan del Sur.  So far, she's proven that right, because she did indeed have a strong first episode.  And I love that she, a woman, found the hidden Immunity Idol . After men have been the finders of those so often, it's a nice, refreshing change of pace.

"Holmes: Did you guys have any idea that Kelley had found the idol?
Baskauskas: No clue. She did a good job of hiding it. She did tell a pretty good lie about why she had to wear her shorts to the challenge. Most of us were wearing our underwear. I thought it was a cool twist.
Holmes: I heard her explanation for wearing the shorts, we don’t have to explore it further, but it was veryclever.
Baskauskas: (Laughs) We don’t need to say anything more about that. Totally something I didn’t think twice about."

From Vytas's exit interview.

It sounds like Kelly told people that she had her period and needed to wear more then her bathing suit. Smart, smart play. Brilliant even. I so wish they showed that. I know why they didn't, god forbid someone use the word period or menstration on tv, but that shows how smart she is playing. She found the clue, knew it would be a water challenge and that everyone would be in bathing suits and came up with a plausible reason for wearing her shorts.

No quicker way to get men to want to change the subject than to say it's your period.  Reminds me of that great moment in the movie Volver where Penelope Cruz's daughter have just knifed her husband to death and Cruz goes to answer the door.  It's the guy next door.  He sees blood all over her and says, "Is anything wrong?!" and she says, "Oh, you know, women's stuff."  :)

Whoa, really?!  Wow!  That was smart of her!  Girl's got game!  I cannot believe she pulled that off so well!  I just hope nothing happened when it actually came, and that no one was tipped off when it did.

Good start, Kelley!  Good start! :)

• Love 4

I don't remember her (from San Juan)  but was impressed at her finding the clue.  Now that she told them she had her period so she had to wear shorts, I love this girl even more.  Quick and good thinking.   

• Love 6

I rewatched to episode and Sherin was wearing long pants and it looks like Abi was wearing shorts, too. So, I don't think Kelley wearing shorts would have made anyone suspicious. There is one brief second where both Kelley & Abi are looking back at the same time but it's in the same direction and Abi isn't looking at Kelley directly but is looking in the same direction and practically the same pose. She just grabbed at the perfect time with both tribes more interested in the challenge and having no idea about the twist. Now, it all comes down to how, when & if she plays it. Also, does she share the information with anyone. Yup! It's gonna be a good season! Yahoo!!

• Love 2

Kelly was probably approached by the women who were limited to their underwear because they came in dresses.  I can see the conversation now.   Let's all stick together and wear our under pants so we don't feel strange or embarrassed.  Kelly has a good body so there really would not be a reason to refuse this solidarity.  I have my period, voila! 

It'll be interesting if Kelley shares any info with anyone.  I'm assuming it's like before, and there's one idol per tribe, so there won't be another one waiting for Ta'Keo at any challenges (it will be pretty amusing if they catch wind of the idol twist, and someone costs that tribe the challenge because they were looking for an idol that wasn't even there anymore).  Kelley has the idol, and she knows about it being at the challenge.  That's a couple of advantages she may have to gain allies or help someone.  Especially when the tribe swap comes up. Whether she chooses to share that info or not is another story.  It's probably in her best interest not to, since that will out she has the idol.  One thing I liked about last season is no one knew until it was too late that Carolyn, Jenn, and Mike had idols.  That's when it is played beautifully.

In regards to Kelley, I like that cover story.  No one is going to ask anymore questions.  I'm guessing she must have been asked why she wasn't wearing just her bikini bottoms and that's why she came up that.

• Love 2

I do not really remember her that much from her original season (Which is kind of sad seeing how it was only what a year ago), I actually remember her father more than I remember her.  That being said, what I do remember was that she was considered a threat because she was a "super fan" (I hate that term after reading it over and over again in the Big  Brother section throughout the summer).  I guess she has proven why she was thought of as a threat the last time because she seems to be a very smart and sneaky player, I say sneaky because that was masterful how she snagged the Idol during the challenge.

• Love 4

I am really glad that she got a second chance and I never really got a feel for her game in her original season. I like not coming in without any true preconceived notions about her. Makes me kind of excited to see what her strategy and game play will be, especially without her Dad there.

• Love 3

I'm not sure why she keeps saying it was her dad that ruined her game. I remember it was actually that Jon Misch found out that Kelley had been trying to get rid of him at Hunapu and so didn't want to work with her after the swap. I thought she acknowledged in her exit interviews that this was true and didn't involve her dad. Oh well. I guess they are really trying to push that narrative for all the Blood vs. Water people.

• Love 2

I think her Dad ruining her game is her "storyline". She did originally blame him and then slightly changed the story. I guess it's a little bit of both. She's off to a great start now and she has a HII that no one knows about or that it's even in play. I'm looking forward to see how it all plays out and how far she goes.

• Love 2

I'm not sure why she keeps saying it was her dad that ruined her game. I remember it was actually that Jon Misch found out that Kelley had been trying to get rid of him at Hunapu and so didn't want to work with her after the swap. I thought she acknowledged in her exit interviews that this was true and didn't involve her dad. Oh well. I guess they are really trying to push that narrative for all the Blood vs. Water people.

I think that's true about Josh.  But when they did a tribe swap, weren't Baylor and her mom swing votes? Her dad argued with Baylor's mom and that led to her siding against Kelly and her dad.

Also, if she tells herself that it's her dad's fault, she doesn't have to admit she made any mistakes.

She's admitted before that she doesn't blame her dad. http://parade.com/348840/joshwigler/does-kelley-wentworth-blame-her-dad-for-her-survivor-exit/ I don't think with her it's about not being able to admit she's made mistakes. She seems pretty smart and willing to take self-responsibility. She knew she was the bigger threat. I'll be honest, I didn't like the people on her season so when I saw her in the background having the same reactions I would around some of the people on her tribe I figured she had good instincts. Her storyline, though, is that it was her dad's fault or "let's see how she plays on her own" since per the episodes it looked like her dad and "ricegate" messed up her game. Missy argued with Dale and then told Jon that Kelley wanted him out, before that, Kelley and Missy were kind of loosely allied which is why she was aware that she wanted Jon out. Who knows if ricegate hadn't happened how that vote would have gone down. All in all I was impressed with how she handled herself.

• Love 1

Whether it was her father's fault or not I think it's sort of tacky of her to keep saying it was on TV.  Particularly when she was with Vytas, pretty much saying now that she didn't have to worry so much about her dad she should do so much better.  It would be  easy to just say  their playing styles didn't mesh instead of implying that he was a huge dumb handicap.  It kind of makes me want her to mess up for his sake, although so far it looks like she's going to be brilliant and justify her high opinion of herself.

Maybe it's tacky but it's her storyline this season just like Kelly's is that she thinks about her loss every day. It's not necessarily true but apparently they're supposed to play up to their storylines or Jeff calls them out on it. Her dad doesn't seem bothered by it. That being said, if she messes up, I hope it's a massive mistake though and makes good tv. She's my favorite but I like entertainment, too. Quite frankly, I believe her face is too expressive and she needs to watch how she rracts as it's not good game play however I thoroughly enjoy her reactions.

• Love 1

Dale hurt her big time. When it came time to choose a target, Kelly was the easy choice. She still had a partner and her partner was obnoxious enough that no one had to worry about him in an alliance or getting votes if he makes it to the finals. Kelly wasn't shown doing a ton but she had not burned bridges the way Dale had and seems to have the intelligence to play a good game.

• Love 3

Whether it was her father's fault or not I think it's sort of tacky of her to keep saying it was on TV.  Particularly when she was with Vytas, pretty much saying now that she didn't have to worry so much about her dad she should do so much better.  It would be  easy to just say  their playing styles didn't mesh instead of implying that he was a huge dumb handicap.  It kind of makes me want her to mess up for his sake, although so far it looks like she's going to be brilliant and justify her high opinion of herself.

Well with Vytas at least I think it was pure gameplay.  She had a bit of common ground with Vytas--they both played on BvW seasons--and strengthened that connection with an emotional one, since Vytas seems to have a certain grudge towards Aras.  "She's the one who really gets me...we both got our games ruined by our stupid relatives!"  Although she didn't end up aligning with Vytas, it's always good early on to connect with everyone, and it seems to me like she's got a good handle on how to pull people to your side.

What I remember from Kelley's season is that her dad was unpleasant and so her association with him made her be an early target.  I don't remember much about her otherwise. 

To help fill some more gaps, Kelley was one of the early allies of Jeremy, who wanted a female-dominant alliance.  She, Natalie, and Missy were pulled in by Jeremy at the start of the game, along with Keith as an additional number.  However, Kelley went mostly under the radar, editing-wise, for the first several weeks, until she came to the forefront again in episode four.  Drew, a member of what turned out to be Jeremy and Natalie's alternate (and fake) alliance, wanted to target her because he could see the threat level she potentially posed as a social player and thought he could get the rest of the men on the tribe -- Jon, Jeremy, Keith, and Reed -- to get behind him on that.  In reality, Jeremy and Natalie were planning from the start to vote the way the women wanted, and it was to get rid of Drew, who wanted all of the women eventually voted out.  So he was voted out to save Kelley and themselves.

So Kelly was actually in a good spot after that vote . . . until the swap happened, she ended up on a tribe with her dad, Dale, and he pretty much torpedoed his game and hers by ruffling too many feathers, especially with Missy.  Kelley took the fall for his bad behavior and was promptly voted out the week of the swap.  Dale followed the next week.

I'm glad she's back to redeem herself after what happened in San Juan del Sur.  Hoping for the best possible game from her this go-round, and finding the hidden Immunity Idol so smoothly at the challenge definitely has her off to a great start! :)

• Love 5

I kinda tittered when she was suspicious of Kass, only to be surprised when she learned that she'd planned a belated birthday surprise for her.

Still, she's keeping a pulse on things just in case, and that's always smart in this game.

• Love 6

The fact that she's gotten airtime in every episode is getting my hopes up, but I must keep them low.  Don't want to get burned again like with Jenn last season.

Unlike Jenn, I don't think Kelley will give up.  Even though I can't really blame Jenn for throwing in the towel, as it was obvious that alliance was not going to crack.  But it was disappointing she basically quit without officially quitting.  Had she had better options, I think we would have seen a much bigger game from her.  I am hopeful with Kelley.  She seems to be on to the people that she needs to be keeping her eye on (even if her initial suspicions on Kass were wrong), and knows that keeping threats around for now is fine but has no problem eliminating them down the road.  I am very excited to see what she can pull from her hat at the merge when the strategy will really come out.  Somehow I feel like she's going to be the Parvati orchestrating an Ozzy style blindside to her biggest ally.  I think the lack of gaming so far is making me lose interest, but Kelley gives me hope.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

I kinda tittered when she was suspicious of Kass, only to be surprised when she learned that she'd planned a belated birthday surprise for her.

I liked that she laughed at herself and told Kass that she had been suspicious of her. I wasn't particularly excited to see Kelley back (though figured better her than Stephanie Valencia and Mikayla Wingle), but I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by her game and am rooting for her now.

• Love 4

Considering how "sneaky sneaky" she was getting her idol she sure wasn't very stealthy when observing Kass. It was funny watching her in the background. As one of her few fans during San Juan del Sur I'm glad she's getting airtime. 

• Love 3

Kelley's good at maneuvering that bus! Someone mentioned previously they'd be more suspicious of the person talking about someone looking for an idol over the person trying to get along with everyone. I think she played that beautifully, though... she was asked about Dietz, said he's a good guy but he spent a lot of time looking for idols, meanwhile Dietz is acting like he has nothing to worry about and is at a party. That could lead others to think he probably does have an idol.

• Love 5

But, I like Terry. I thought it was so mean that they left him out of the 5 person alliance. What is this ? Survivor? LOL!!! That said, I like Kelley, too. I'm dying to see if she uses the HII.

Kelley is doing right what others who went before her did wrong: going with the flow, keeping her mouth shut, and throwing the only other person to possibly be on the chopping block against her under the bus.  Plus, she had the idol, but has done an excellent job of hiding it so far and completely shifting the blame elsewhere (though burying it at Ta'Keo probably wasn't a smart idea-would production retrieve it for her if she had switched to Bayon?)  Right now she's one of the only ones playing this game beautifully.  And I believe her idol play will be epic.  At least I'm hoping.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

If she is on the same beach then they wouldn't. If she changed beaches, they would. The way the question was phrased made me think she had moved but she did not.

The idols moving with someone is something players have said happens in other seasons. If someone finds the claimed idol, Production tells them it is claimed. They want the idol to stay with the finder and, hopefully, used.

• Love 2

I do wonder if an idol clue was hidden on Ankor beach. I'm sure it was but they are dead tired and probably haven't looked for it. I just want to see another planted at a challenge. So far, it seems that Jeremy & Kelley haven't told anyone else they have one or how they retrieved it. I'm sure Kelley feels safe right now and won't use it for a while.

• Love 1

If she is on the same beach then they wouldn't. If she changed beaches, they would. The way the question was phrased made me think she had moved but she did not.

The idols moving with someone is something players have said happens in other seasons. If someone finds the claimed idol, Production tells them it is claimed. They want the idol to stay with the finder and, hopefully, used.

Thanks!  Personally, I think it should be a case of finders keepers.  Burying it is so risky.  It would serve someone right if they lost it that way.  Granted, I also don't think someone should be able to go through another person's belongings to see if they have it, so people should be allowed to just keep it in their bags without fear of it being discovered.  

I have to think there is an idol on Angkor.  I can't believe there wouldn't be.  I've noticed lately that they don't show the hunt for the idol until someone has the clue/actually finds it, or is in a situation like Stephen was episode 1, where he was feeling vulnerable.  Last season the blue collar tribe said that they all looked for the idol but never found it, then assumed there weren't any idols that season.

Edited by LadyChatts

Why would they, though?  She went back to her tribe's camp after the swap since she remained on Ta Keo.

Why wouldn't they let her keep her idol?   It's better tv if she keeps it then loses it in a swap due to logistics.  Viewers like justice.  She found it, she should be able to keep it and use it.  (Oh wait, I see your point now is that they didn't even need to!)  

I'm glad production lets them hide them in the jungle now.  I figure the cameraman also probably denotes the spot it's hidden.  Heck, they may even pretend to hide it and production just holds it for them.  People rifling through others' belongings was never good tv, to me.

Edited by Guest

Thanks!  Personally, I think it should be a case of finders keepers.  Burying it is so risky.  It would serve someone right if they lost it that way.  Granted, I also don't think someone should be able to go through another person's belongings to see if they have it, so people should be allowed to just keep it in their bags without fear of it being discovered.  

I have to think there is an idol on Angkor.  I can't believe there wouldn't be.  I've noticed lately that they don't show the hunt for the idol until someone has the clue/actually finds it, or is in a situation like Stephen was episode 1, where he was feeling vulnerable.  Last season the blue collar tribe said that they all looked for the idol but never found it, then assumed there weren't any idols that season.

Agreed. I don't think people should be allowed to go through other peoples bags. It should be the one thing that is off limit.

• Love 2

Not only do I think Kelley is doing a decent job of throwing Terry under the bus (probably way more than we're shown, since Ta'Keo hasn't had to go to TC), but it doesn't seem like she ever leaves the group alone.  She is right there in the thick of every conversation.  While Terry was off grocery shopping, she was back working her way into a potential final 5 alliance.  Win or lose, she definitely deserves credit for actually learning a thing or two from her last time, and unlike some of the boots this season, she doesn't seem to be drawing any unwanted attention to herself.  Terry probably takes it for granted that the tribe would keep him over Kelley.

• Love 6

Not only do I think Kelley is doing a decent job of throwing Terry under the bus (probably way more than we're shown, since Ta'Keo hasn't had to go to TC), but it doesn't seem like she ever leaves the group alone.  She is right there in the thick of every conversation.  While Terry was off grocery shopping, she was back working her way into a potential final 5 alliance.  Win or lose, she definitely deserves credit for actually learning a thing or two from her last time, and unlike some of the boots this season, she doesn't seem to be drawing any unwanted attention to herself.  Terry probably takes it for granted that the tribe would keep him over Kelley.

Word to your entire post, and the last sentence made me laugh because most likely true!

• Love 3

Previous season, I sort of like her because i'm willing to side with anyone who doesn't like Drew. But she turned me off during her (rob has a podcast) Ms. SURVIVOR campaign, she wasn't bad I just thought she tried to be mysterious and it was kinda annoying. However I really like her this season. Hope she goes far And can't wait to see her plays the idol.

• Love 2