Type keyword(s) to search

S31: Kelley Wentworth

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Kelley would have been a very deserving winner.  I love how she went to bat for Keith at the first TC to not throw the towel in for Kimmi.  It made me feel good, after Spencer was such a jerk and saying 'Tasha is not going home' so confidently that she made Keith realize he deserved to stick around.  Of course, she also needed him more than she needed Kimmi, who could have flipped back to Jeremy and crew at the final 5.  

Then making him a fake idol to try and keep him in the game (she should have kept it and gave the performance of how she was going to play it on Keith).  I hope Kelley gets another chance. She did absolutely amazing and overcame great odds in this game to land where she did.  I believe she would have 100% won had she made it to the final 3.  It was great that she kept her cool when Spencer was badgering Jeremy that he would turn the jury against him and for Kelley if he was voted out.

• Love 5

Kelley was still working the jury to the bitter end. After Keith got voted off she apparently mouthed to Ciera that she had given Keith a immunity idol.  Oh and lol at all of them at Ponderosa trying to figure if Keith's idol was real or not.

• Love 3

I like Pondersosa Kelley so very much.  I really respected how hard she fought and how she left it all on the table.  And I do believe she was one immunity and one final tribal away from winning it all. During the game, I just couldn't take her mugging at tribal and other times, but that's just me and my preferences.  She played the game, she played it well and I will happily vote her back if given the chance.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

This is just speculating, but I'm guessing that if Kelley is in the FTC against Tasha/Spencer, she also wins in a landside and possibly even another 10-0 score.  (Though I imagine Savage wouldn't be able to bring himself to vote for Kelley.) 

If it's Kelley, Jeremy and one of Tasha/Spencer, then Kelley certainly gets Abi/Ciera/Kass.  Jeremy still gets Stephen/Savage/whomever is on the jury of Spencer or Tasha.  So that's 3-3 with Kelly/Keith/Joe/Kimmi as swing votes, which would've made it hella more dramatic.

• Love 2

It is weird to be proud of someone you've never met, but damn, I'm proud of Kelley.  I don't know.  She just really gave it her all.  She was a skeleton at Ponderosa, terrifying.  A quarter of her body weight!  That is fucking crazy!  And I agree it was really something to see how she was received.  They did love her out there.  And I guess I get it somehow because I felt that weird emotional connection when she was so shell-shocked at the table there.

And it's not just the players who love her, but even the producers!  It's a rare non-winning woman who gets that kind of triumphant "look how awesome she is" montage at the reunion.  I can only remember Cirie getting that.

Jeremy still gets Stephen/Savage/whomever is on the jury of Spencer or Tasha.  So that's 3-3 with Kelly/Keith/Joe/Kimmi as swing votes, which would've made it hella more dramatic.

So you think Spencer was bluffing?  I think Joe would be a lock for Kelley if she was there with any of the real F3, personally.

Anyway.  I feel super-invested in Kelley for whatever reason, I guess because she was the only person I was rooting for from the first and she made it so far and really left it all out there.  And she looked amaaaaazing at the reunion (I can't remember the last time I thought someone looked better at the reunion than out on the island!)  I never wish for people to come back, as the potential for disappointment is so great; but I think she'll be on a 3rd time, and I will be happy to see her.

• Love 8

Fantastic season for Kelley.  Really hope to see her play again. 

Question for the forum: suppose Kelley had booted Jeremy with her first idol play instead of Savage.  How does the season turn out in that case? 

Oh, I think that vote is too far back to reliably say anything about how the season would play out.  It did remind me of an interview Savage had after being booted.  He was talking about his feelings after Kelley played the idol, and he said he was thinking something to the effect of 'wow, this sucks for Jeremy'....right before it sucked for him! Says something about how well Jeremy played this season.

• Love 1

A helluva lot different.

The only thing keeping Kimmi and Stephen connected to the brolliance was Jeremy. With him gone, they almost definitely jump to the other side making it Kelly, Ciera, Abi, Stephen, Kimmi vs Savage, Joe, Kelly, Keith, Tasha  with Spencer as the swing vote. 

Somewhere in this jumble the true power alliance of Stephen, Spencer, Kimmi, Tasha would likely be hiding, working both sides and getting the numbers down to a manageable number.

Edited by Oscirus

Dude... Kelley lost 1/4 of her body weight. You could see her spine and shoulder blades very clearly at Ponderosa. She lost a scary ton of weight. And she looked so shocked and out of it after leaving the game. She played great.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/207CF0A7-9288-7742-CC75-AF0F8256AAFB/survivor-on-the-survivor-red-carpet-with-kelley-wentworth/

Kelly confirmed it. She told everyone she was wearing her jean shorts to the challenge because of "womens issues"

Edited by ProfCrash

I gotta say, even with the huge weight loss, she looked hot during final tribal council. That dress was great on her.

A helluva lot different.
The only thing keeping Kimmi and Stephen connected to the brolliance was Jeremy. With him gone, they almost definitely jump to the other side making it Kelly, Ciera, Abi, Stephen, Kimmi vs Savage, Joe, Kelly, Keith, Tasha  with Spencer as the swing vote.
Somewhere in this jumble the true power alliance of Stephen, Spencer, Kimmi, Tasha would likely be hiding, working both sides and getting the numbers down to a manageable number.

This is in hindsight, and of course Ciera and Abi didn't know about the idol and Wentworth obviously had no plans of telling them, so I understand being united in voting out Savage. But it would have been fun to see the three of them each vote one of the core alliance - Stephen, Savage AND Jeremy. And then watch the majority alliance cannibalize themselves on the revote.

• Love 2

Here is one of the first interviews I've seen from Kelley

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/17/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-kelley-wentworth

Usually at the reunion, Jeff Probst asks what would’ve happened if the finale had been between this person and this person, and I was so curious what would’ve happened if you had been in the finals. Did you do any kind of informal polling to see if maybe you would’ve won?

Oh man, that’s such a bummer to think about. I do feel like I had a good chance if I went to the end, even with Jeremy. I tried to throughout the game make sure that I interacted with the jury and looked at them and constantly made them feel involved in what was going on. So I think it would’ve been a showdown for sure if I was there with Jeremy. And if I wasn’t there with him, I definitely would’ve won the whole thing. So it’s a tough pill to swallow, but it is what it is.

I think you’re being a little modest here. It sounds weird to say because Jeremy won 10-0, but Kelley, I’ve done the math and I know you have too. I know you’ve done the math and talked to people, and I think you get at least six votes if you’re in there finals with Jeremy, right?

Yeah, you’re probably right. Yeah, yeah.

Regarding Spencer:

He was so confident that he could beat Spencer. Obviously he was right, but I don’t think that I fully believed he could until that final Tribal. I know you talk about the final players and everything at Ponderosa. Was it pretty much a consensus among the jury even before final Tribal?

Oh man, tough question. When Jeremy talks about his family and having a son on the way, I think that really kind of put people over the edge of wanting to vote for him. But I definitely do think that you didn’t get to see a lot of how Spencer acted in the game, and he did get a little bit arrogant and cocky towards the end. He burned bridges way too much and got a little too personal with things, and so I think that’s why people wanted Jeremy to win over Spencer.

How so? Did he burn bridges with you? Because we didn’t see that.

I know, and I’m bummed out that the audience didn’t get to see him doing that. A lot of Spencer’s game was building relationships with people and working on that a lot, but I think he just took it too far. He just got very personal, talking about families, and, “No, I would never do this to you,” and, “We’re going to be to the end.” It’s just kind of, I guess, a lot of promises, and he really made people feel like they were with him — which is great, because he was able to get as far as he did, but at the end we all kind of felt like … I don’t know. Just a bitter taste in our mouths, I guess.

• Love 1

I feel a bit frustrated with Dalton for that interview.  So negative!  "HEY KELLEY YOU SEEM TO BE SAD LET ME MAKE YOU MORE SAD.  WHAT DID YOU DO WRONG?  HOW FRUSTRATED ARE YOU THAT YOU WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH?  WHAT'S YOUR BIGGEST REGRET?  WHY DID YOU DO SO POORLY?"  Give a break, Jesus.  At least end on a "well you did amazing, what was your favorite moment?" kind of positive question.

• Love 1

Dude... Kelley lost 1/4 of her body weight. You could see her spine and shoulder blades very clearly at Ponderosa. She lost a scary ton of weight. And she looked so shocked and out of it after leaving the game. She played great.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/video/207CF0A7-9288-7742-CC75-AF0F8256AAFB/survivor-on-the-survivor-red-carpet-with-kelley-wentworth/

Kelly confirmed it. She told everyone she was wearing her jean shorts to the challenge because of "womens issues"

I just saw this video, and dude...that was AWKWARD when Tasha just happened to walk by behind them just right when Malcolm & Kelley were talking about goats this season! Hahaha, that was weird.

• Love 1

Kelley's success may bode well for more unconventional picks in future 'second chance' votes (since you know Survivor will do that vote again).  There was some head-scratching when she was included in the list of choices since she wasn't a big factor in S29, yet all you heard was how the producers loved her and were as devastated as she was about being eliminated so early.  Kelley not only did herself well in her second appearance, she also seemingly more than lived up to the producers' belief that she's TV gold.

• Love 5

Kelley's success may bode well for more unconventional picks in future 'second chance' votes (since you know Survivor will do that vote again).  There was some head-scratching when she was included in the list of choices since she wasn't a big factor in S29, yet all you heard was how the producers loved her and were as devastated as she was about being eliminated so early.  Kelley not only did herself well in her second appearance, she also seemingly more than lived up to the producers' belief that she's TV gold.

I hope both Kelley and Kimmi, as early pre-mergers in their respective seasons, not only being voted back on, but doing well, does give the producers the idea to bring back more pre-mergers/jurors whose game might have been tanked for reasons beyond their control.

So if I ever go on Survivor: do not win individual rewards where you have to pick people to come with you, don't make promises on family members graves or live, or make promises that are going to make people think they are like family to you, and don't act like an ass in front of the jury at the very end unless you can do a Jeremy and have an explanation for your "arrogance".  

• Love 2
kikaha, on 17 Dec 2015 - 04:14 AM, said:

Question for the forum: suppose Kelley had booted Jeremy with her first idol play instead of Savage.  How does the season turn out in that case? 

Completely different in every way, but an impossible what-if, as she explains here:

Tom Santilli: Kelley, when you played your first Idol, you had your pick of basically blindsiding anybody that you wanted. Why did you decide on Savage at that point?

Kelley:  So that was a really, really tough situation. I personally wanted Jeremy out, I thought that he was the strongest person in the game. Unfortunately, I couldn't get Ciera and Abi to vote for Jeremy without telling them about the Idol. And I wanted to tell them, but you know, Abi can be such a wild card. I didn't trust telling her. And even Ciera. I didn't have anybody out there. I never trusted anybody in the game. I wish I did. I wish I had someone, like Tasha and Jeremy had. I just never really felt that completely with anyone. So I couldn't tell anybody about the Idol, and they wanted to vote for Savage. And Savage was also working his game pretty hard with everybody and he was aligned with Jeremy. So, at the end of the day, Savage leaving was the only really scenario that I had.

Completely different in every way, but an impossible what-if, as she explains here:

I wish I had someone, like Tasha and Jeremy had.

Um, that's not entirely true. Jeremy kept both idols to himself. And he also left out Tasha on that Wiggles blindside. It wasn't complete and blind trust. Well, maybe it is just on Tasha's part. In hindsight, explaining as she did above, I wish she felt comfortable enough to at least trust Ciera. I think she's trustworthy enough. But maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 1

Ugh! Why, Kelley, WHY?????

3. Wentworth revealed a secret practice heat for the final immunity challenge. “We practiced that challenge before we actually did it,” she told TheWrap. “We got to practice that final challenge once before we did it. We had one practice run and I killed it.” When it counted, she came up short. “The second time when we they actually filmed it, I got in my own head.”

• Love 4
slowpoked, on 18 Dec 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

In hindsight, explaining as she did above, I wish she felt comfortable enough to at least trust Ciera. I think she's trustworthy enough. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think the thing was, if any whisper of an idol got out, there would be a split-vote and she and her crew were doomed.  Even the slightest change in attitude could have made the difference.  This was one time when it would be incredibly risky to share the info.  And if she told Ciera, I think she would have to tell Abi, otherwise (being Abi) she might be like "wait why not Savage?  You're hiding something, you're dead to me!" etc., and if she did tell, even if Abi was not a wild-card kind of person, the more a secret spreads, the more chances it gets out.

It certainly would have been a game-changing decision, but I can't blame her, I think she made the right choice to not tell.

• Love 1

Kelley reminds me a lot of Malcolm in his Philippines season. He & she needed to win that Final Challenge. They both involved metal balls (I sound like Probst) and they both knew they lost it then and there. Of course, a lot of people will say that Denise was going to win either way but I think he had a shot. And, after hearing all the exit interviews with Kimmi & Keith that Kelley would have won, too. Ahhhhh! So close. It's a killer.

• Love 1
ByaNose, on 20 Dec 2015 - 1:32 PM, said:ByaNose, on 20 Dec 2015 - 1:32 PM, said:

Kelley reminds me a lot of Malcolm in his Philippines season. He & she needed to win that Final Challenge. They both involved metal balls (I sound like Probst) and they both knew they lost it then and there. Of course, a lot of people will say that Denise was going to win either way but I think he had a shot. And, after hearing all the exit interviews with Kimmi & Keith that Kelley would have won, too. Ahhhhh! So close. It's a killer.

I think the Kelley/Malcolm comparison is far, far more correct than the bizarre Joe/Malcolm comparison that is so often made.  Kelley's story was a bit like a mix of Malcolm's two seasons together, in my opinion..  They are both triple threats with an emphasis on the social aspect, over the physical and strategic aspects.  PLUS, they have both won my heart by being funny, reasonable, intelligent, charismatic human beings who play Survivor with their whole hearts but don't take it personally and remember it's a game.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 3

So I watched Kelley's periscope that she did with her mom last night in which she answered questions about her season. Nothing really new was reveled that I hadn't heard from other interviews. She did not get any specifics at all about the alleged racial incident with Kass and Tasha (I am thinking the producers want the cast to keep quiet about it) only to say that Kass is not a racist and that the people that the people who were there and Probst as well would back her up on this. Not sure exactly what this means. She reiterated again how close her and Spencer were in that they talked a lot about personal stuff and their families and that the two of them had a lot in common (probably both being children of divorce)and that after the Abi vote Spencer completely changed after the Abi vote and longer talked to her about this stuff. She said that Joe has yet to thank her for picking him to go on that reward with his Dad (though Joe's father thanked her at the reunion). She als said that Joe's father got in her face at that reward and told her "not to screw over his son". Like seriously? Other than not not much else. She said she is doing a couple more podcasts than putting Survivor behind for awhile so she can concentrate on getting her life back to normal including planning her wedding next year (congrats Kelley!).

• Love 3

I watched the periscope which was okay. It would have been a lot better without her annoying Mom. Obviously, she and her mother are really close (seems much more so than with Dale) but you would have thought her Mother had done the show. She was telling people this and telling people that like she was there. I'm sure Kelley told her Mom all the dirt but the Mother just annoyed the heck out of me. I would like to have had Dale there. At least, he has played the game. Nothin new was really revealed and Kelley has camera presence. It's too bad she lost. Joe didn't win and he's on Y&R with Jeremy. She seems I different with Joe. She doesn't hate him but she isn't exactly that thrilled with him either.

So I watched Kelley's periscope that she did with her mom last night in which she answered questions about her season. Nothing really new was reveled that I hadn't heard from other interviews. She did not get any specifics at all about the alleged racial incident with Kass and Tasha (I am thinking the producers want the cast to keep quiet about it) only to say that Kass is not a racist and that the people that the people who were there and Probst as well would back her up on this. Not sure exactly what this means. She reiterated again how close her and Spencer were in that they talked a lot about personal stuff and their families and that the two of them had a lot in common (probably both being children of divorce)and that after the Abi vote Spencer completely changed after the Abi vote and longer talked to her about this stuff. She said that Joe has yet to thank her for picking him to go on that reward with his Dad (though Joe's father thanked her at the reunion). She als said that Joe's father got in her face at that reward and told her "not to screw over his son". Like seriously? Other than not not much else. She said she is doing a couple more podcasts than putting Survivor behind for awhile so she can concentrate on getting her life back to normal including planning her wedding next year (congrats Kelley!).

I read it somewhere that Joe's dad was going around and asking everyone still in the game not to screw Joe over.  He also was trying to play strategy on Joe's part, and even told Joe not to trust Kelley.  There was one of the bonus clips of Joe's dad talking about strategy and knew the only way he'd be able to stay in it was to continue winning immunity.  Joe mentioned a couple of times how his dad tried playing strategy with him out there, hence why I believe both Anglim men will be returning for BvsW 3.

Joe didn't win and he's on Y&R with Jeremy. She seems I different with Joe. She doesn't hate him but she isn't exactly that thrilled with him either.

Makes me think that if Dancing With the Stars was on CBS instead of ABC, Joe would be a lock for that show.  Joe's popularity is something.  It'll no doubt die down in the coming seasons, unless he returns in the very near future.  But I don't know that I've seen contestants get as popular as him that quickly.  I've been paying attention to some of the charity related auctions going involving Joe and the other Survivors.  He had a painting on ebay that, last I checked, sold for almost $700.  There's a Skype chat for charity that's being auctioned off with him that was just listed yesterday, has 4 days to go, and is already over $500 (in comparison, Kelley's is at $61).  His torch from Survivor was pulling in more money than anyone else, though Jeremy and Wentworth weren't far behind.  This past summer, Tyler went through his closet and auctioned off a bunch of his clothes for charity and some of those brought in hundreds of dollars.  So I get why they chose to capitalize on Joe.  A few seasons from now, people will remember Joe, but will people remember the guy who actually won S30?  Also, not saying this is the case with Wentworth, but I wonder if some of the Survivors perhaps are a tad jealous that they aren't getting the same type of love, either from fans or from TPTB.  Anyway, as soon as the next big eyed manbun that can't fail at anything and can push himself in a challenge to the point of passing out comes along, he'll take the torch from Joe.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

One interesting thing was about Tasha saying her game was about loyalty. IMO, loyalty is a way overrated trait in Survivor. Tasha didn't want to risk anything. She was ok with runner-up money. If she ended up with the four ladies at F4, she could have taken charge of the game and maybe she wouldn't have felt the need to just shut up at the last tribal.

So that pretty much confirms that Tasha will stay to the end with Jeremy even if it means losing. I dunno if she was hoping though that by some forces outside of her power that Jeremy gets booted off, so she can boast that she was the master of that tribe.

Makes you wonder though - if that person wasn't Jeremy, would Tasha have stayed as loyal to him as she did? Because he wasn't that fully loyal to her anyway.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3

I totally agree.  But I guess if Tasha thought Jeremy was going to get to the end with too much blood on his hands, she'd have a chance?  But no one really left bitter at Jeremy so he managed that well.  People were bitter toward Tasha and Spencer.  It seems like Tasha could've managed that better but she didn't even try.  I think Spencer tried but blew it at the end.  

Kelley's story was a bit like a mix of Malcolm's two seasons together, in my opinion..  They are both triple threats with an emphasis on the social aspect, over the physical and strategic aspects.  PLUS, they have both won my heart by being funny, reasonable, intelligent, charismatic human beings who play Survivor with their whole hearts but don't take it personally and remember it's a game.

But Kelley is so notoriously bitter against Spencer!

She said she is doing a couple more podcasts than putting Survivor behind for awhile so she can concentrate on getting her life back to normal including planning her wedding next year (congrats Kelley!).

Her man is sooooooo cute (was checking them out on Instagram.)

Anyway, as soon as the next big eyed manbun that can't fail at anything and can push himself in a challenge to the point of passing out comes along, he'll take the torch from Joe.

Haha.  Can't wait.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I thought it was interesting that Kelley didn't want to touch the subject of Tasha and Spencer's pre game alliance. They both seemed closed in between Cagayan and Second Chances so I figured that would be a given.

I remember during Probst's cast assessment of San Juan del sur that Kelley and a Dale weren't so close after the divorce.

I thought it was interesting that Kelley didn't want to touch the subject of Tasha and Spencer's pre game alliance. They both seemed closed in between Cagayan and Second Chances so I figured that would be a given.

I remember during Probst's cast assessment of San Juan del sur that Kelley and a Dale weren't so close after the divorce.

Well they said they had been estranged for a few years but neither of them revealed why. They kept that private.

True Jeff made it sound like it was because of Dale getting remarried.

That's weird if that's indeed the reason. Dale has been married to his wife for 25+ years, if I'm not mistaken, and Kelley is what? 29 years old? That means he remarried when she was really young, so I doubt that's the reason. Or else that's just a really, really young age to hold a grudge against dad.

Jeff said it's a tough situation when a parent remarries when the kid is young and speculates maybe that was part of their estrangement.  I'm from a similar situation and I think it's a common thing.  It's not that the kids resent the remarriage exactly, they just resent having an absent or deadbeat dad with a new life, even if they're the ones who kicked his sorry ass to the curb.  And evil stepmothers are no help.  And Dale seems like a narrow-minded asshole on top of it.  

Tasha has been strangely silent since taking the high road and calling Kass out for making racial slurs. From what I am reading, Kelley is saying that it is BS and that the rest of the cast will back that up. I suspect that Kelley is right and Tasha is wrong, wrong, wrong. It is amazing how Tasha managed to not complete her interview with Rob C after she made that assertion.

• Love 2

I love Kelley, as I think should be clear. But she wasn't there when Kass said/didn't say whatever it was she said/didn't say, and I don't think Kelley is the best person to evaluate Kass's racial sensitivity. Just because Kelley has never heard Kass say something racially insensitive doesn't mean that Kass never has (or that Kelley would necessarily even know if Kass used coded language).

• Love 5

Tasha did complete her interview with Rob the night of the finale, she just wasn't able to connect the day after. I don't know who is right who is wrong vis a vis Kass/Tasha, but Rob explained that Tasha was at the airport and her audio was useless for the day after interviews so he dumped that audio and just restarted and interviewed Kelley alone. I don't really think Rob would have touched the issue with a ten foot pole even if that didn't happen, but I also don't think Rob would lie about audio issues, as Kelley and Tasha were interviewed together on other sites. 

And while I don't think Kass is racist from what I've seen on the teevee, I can also see her saying something that Tasha thought was coded language (even if Kass didn't mean it as such) and that they have issues with each other.  Or maybe Tasha is an ass and that's why they have issues with each other.  I don't know either well enough to conclude anything.

I'm not going to assume that Kelley is the arbiter of truth here. I also think Survivor production told them all to "shut it", if you will, on whatever this racism issue is between them so we will never know. And, unless and until we get all facts from all sides, I'm not going to assume one party is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

I love Kelley, as I think should be clear. But she wasn't there when Kass said/didn't say whatever it was she said/didn't say, and I don't think Kelley is the best person to evaluate Kass's racial sensitivity. Just because Kelley has never heard Kass say something racially insensitive doesn't mean that Kass never has (or that Kelley would necessarily even know if Kass used coded language).

How do you know she wasn't there? Unless I am missing something I don't think it has been made clear at all who among the cast was there when these alleged statements were made.

Edited by LanceM
And while I don't think Kass is racist from what I've seen on the teevee, I can also see her saying something that Tasha thought was coded language (even if Kass didn't mean it as such) and that they have issues with each other.  Or maybe Tasha is an ass and that's why they have issues with each other.  I don't know either well enough to conclude anything.

I'm not going to assume that Kelley is the arbiter of truth here. I also think Survivor production told them all to "shut it", if you will, on whatever this racism issue is between them so we will never know. And, unless and until we get all facts from all sides, I'm not going to assume one party is wrong, wrong, wrong.

This is exactly what I think.  Either Tasha heard something and took it the wrong way, or she thought she heard Kass say something racist and ran with it.  Of course, there is always the chance nothing happened and Tasha is lying but I don't know if she would really go that far with a comment like that without having someone else to back her up.  Even Shirin got people to back her up on that photo of Terry.  Given all the drama that surrounded S30, and the stark contrast as to how much better received S31 was, I can also see where the producers may want anything negative that wasn't shown not to be discussed.  There's likely a good reason it wasn't shown in the first place.  After the S30 drama, I will be curious how editing goes in the future.  We will still get our villains, but are they going to be shown making any sort of derogatory remarks?

Kelley's comments that the rest of the cast and Jeff would back her up leads me to believe it was rehashed to death at tribal, which is kind of what Kass implied earlier, too.  If they all heard exactly what words Tasha interpreted as racist (from Tasha and Kass in the retelling) and they all except Tasha felt it was b.s., I can see Kelley claiming she and the cast know what it's in reference to.  

Then again, why would she first say she didn't know what Tasha meant if it that was the case?  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Tasha say that Kass used "racial slurs" against her? That's very different from using coded language that's subject to interpretation. If someone uses a racial slur, there's no mistaking what's meant by it. 

I think it's possible that Kass said something that would be unintentionally offensive. I'm a person of color and I hear unintentionally offensive things on a fairly regular basis from people who are not even close to being racists, but they have blind spots about what's okay and not okay for them to say. It's not worth trying to educate them on why their language gets my back up because THEY get offended by the mere suggestion that they're not perfectly open-minded and on the right side of God and what not. It's a case of picking battles, and I just let that shit go.

I think it's also possible that Kass used coded or dog-whistle language. I only know Kass from seeing her for a few hours on TV, and although I haven't seen anything that would suggest she's a racist, I don't know one way or the other. If this is what she did, then I think Tasha has to elaborate on what exactly was said, if she wants to have any credibility.

But if Tasha in fact said that Kass used "racial slurs," then I don't believe that. It's not that I don't believe Kass could use that kind of language (I mean, I doubt it, but again, I just don't know enough about her to judge), but I just don't see Kass tossing around derogatory slurs, knowing that it might be televised.

Just to be somewhat on topic, if it was either unintentional or coded, Kelley might genuinely not see it as racist, either because she's well-meaning but tin-eared (in the case of unintentional offense) or because her mind doesn't track that way and so she doesn't hear the dog whistle (in the case of coded language). But if there were actual racial slurs alleged and Kelley wasn't there and only knows it was a she said/she said situation, I tend to think she wouldn't take sides, only because most people wouldn't in that situation. By saying, "Kass is not a racist and all the players + Probst will back that up," that seems to fall pretty definitively on the side of Tasha making things up. Although again, this is dependent on what specifically Tasha accused Kass of saying.

ETA: or the shorter version:

I honestly think we will never know for sure.
Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 4

Tasha did say "racial slurs" when talking to Rob the night of the show.  But like I don't think Kass is a racist, I don't think Tasha was lying, I just feel like something in the middle happened, and they have both been hyped up in responding, and we will never know exactly what went down.

Also, I think Kelley shouldn't have hyped that she would address what really happened before her podcast or whatever and then left it as she did basically saying  essentially 'nope, we don't think Kass is racist, but I can't talk more about it'.  There was something that was terribly unsatisfying about her answer, just as we've only been given hints from others.

Edited by pennben

I hate when people (any people) throw that someone used racial slurs and don't say what was exactly said. Either set the record straight or STFU! Now, no one is saying anything because they don't think it was a big deal or it infect was a big deal. Like earlier, we'll never know.

• Love 5

I wonder if it was something like in the heat of a fight Kass told Tasha she could never win because she's lazy, mean and she can't swim.  I could see Tasha twisting comments like that into a racial slur in her mind.  

Also, I think Kelley shouldn't have hyped that she would address what really happened before her podcast or whatever and then left it as she did basically saying  essentially 'nope, we don't think Kass is racist, but I can't talk more about it'.  There was something that was terribly unsatisfying about her answer, just as we've only been given hints from others.

Didn't she say something like the first time she heard of the Tasha racial slurs were on Tasha's post-season RHAP, not during the actual tribal, or wherever the heck it happened?! Or something to that effect. Which leads me to think, at least from Kelley's POV, that she didn't think it was racist on Kass' part.

I think because of that too, that she didn't think personally that it was racist, but apparently had racist connotations to people, is probably why she was so hesitant in addressing it during her scope. She's also probably on the "I don't know the whole story" territory and wisely just avoided talking about the whole thing, instead of saying something that may end up favoring one person over the other, and people mistakenly taking it as gospel truth.