Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Exsuscito

• Start Topic

My initial thoughts:

1.) Why does no one call an ambulance?  Maybe I'm a pussy, but when people are bleeding out from being shot, I would call an ambulance, I would not drive them around in my car (and not just because I don't want to get blood on the seats).  There's no way they were going to keep the police out of the situation at Mickey's, and it isn't like they were taking Terry to a mob doctor or vet to keep his injuries on the down low.  On that note, I'm stupidly concerned with where the priest was taking Ray.  They were going the wrong way for USC Verdugo Hills so maybe they were headed to Glendale Adventist, which I think might be a better hospital and only a couple of exits from where we left them.  That view of Downtown as you come over the hill on the 2 is one of my favorite things when driving up in that area.  On a further tangent, it is hilarious to me that the priest appears to be situated in the Glendale area, but the Armenian mafia hangout is way out in Reseda.

2.) Bridget is an asshole in so many ways, but the worst for me was when she left the front door wide open when she ran away.  

I have to watch again to form more coherent opinions about everything else.

• Love 8

It's not Bridget's fault Terry got shot but, Christ, for someone who had her little "you have no feelings" speech to Ray, you'd think being the reason Terry was over at Mickey's would make her stick around at least to make sure he was Okay. Even Abby felt bad! Or are we suppose to think Ray didn't tell her? Connor was completely MIA again, so maybe, who knows. She did pick the dumbest place ever to say she was at. Only on this show can "I'm sleeping with my teacher" actually be a safer option than "I'm at grandpas", but it is what it is. Ray would go over to drag her out of there just to get her away from Mickey/his whorehouse!

That said, "This fucking guy!" and the utter frustration in Avi's voice as he yelled it may be the best reaction to Mickey, ever.

I have worried about Terry too much this season. I wish he could be an asshole or really stupid like the rest of his family so I won't be so invested. Okay, no I don't. I loved him calling Ray out in the beginning. For the record, I don't think Terry has "a crush" on Abby, I think he just really hates seeing how bad Ray's shit is, especially since Ray and his family are suppose to be the normal ones. I almost feel bad he opened his eyes though because recovering from this, plus Parkinson's is going to be hell, and he was ready to die this season to not have to deal with the Parkinson's.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 6

Bridget was definitely an idiot to say that she was at Grandpa's house. Does she not have any friends to pretend she's hanging out with like a normal teenager. Her teacher is an even bigger idiot to show up at the hotel. I really hate Bridget. Does she not realize that no parent would be okay with their teenage daughter dating their 30 year old math teacher. I assume next season she'll be

living on the streets with her bracelet making

friend and playing her guitar for spare change. It's pretty stupid to run away when you're six months away from turning 18 and going off to some fancy college anyway. Nice of her to visit her uncle in the hospital that was shot looking for her dumb ass.

Anyway, I'm thinking that Theresa's baby isn't Bunchys. Something about her is not right (besides the whole dominatrix thing.) Maybe she was dumped by her baby's daddy and decided to marry Bunchy because she knew he had money and he would take care of her and the baby. I almost thought she took him out to the woods to kill him. Their sex scene was really weird too. Wouldn't it just be easier to take off your shorts and underwear?

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 7

ok, in the final scene when the priest was driving with that smirk on his face, with Ray in the passenger seat, am I the only one yelling at the tv, "what the hell just happened? what the hell just happened?" ​It didn't look like some frantic race to the hospital to me. 

Just me? Ok then. But could someone tell me what the hell happened? Thanks in advance. 

also, count me in as one who thought Teresa was going to push Bunchy right over that cliff. wtf? She's one freaky-deaky chick.

Oh, and I hope Ken Cosgrove didn't lose another eye in that beating. 

• Love 7

I thought Terry was a goner.  Glad he's still alive.  He really went through the wringer this season.

Abby singing to Terry was sweet.

Ray and the priest was a very powerful scene.  Schreiber really nailed it.

Oh Bunchy, your one-liners just about stole the show.

"You called me margarita?"

"I didn't know Mexicans hiked"

Teresa will kill him sometime next season.

Yes, Bridget sucks.  Though I totally understand her frustration at what she has for parents.

Mickey finishing off prune face was priceless.

I second the shout-out on Avi's reaction to Mickey.

My favorite season so far, can't believe it's already over.

• Love 9

This episode was like watching the Florida / Miami Marlins do their mid season salary dump. Get rid of Mickey, Darryl, Connor and Bridget for draft picks.

It's pretty stupid to run away when you're six months away from turning 18...

Hopefully, she makes it across a state line and stays gone.

• Love 5

Normally when someone uses the "I'm different! I'm damaged!' excuse, I roll my eyes but in this case I appreciate that Bunchy is erring on the side of caution. He is still damaged from being molested and he knows it. Look at how much he freaked out when he dated that woman who had a little boy last season because he was afraid that he might hurt him or be attracted to him. Part of me likes that Teresa accepts Bunchy for who he is, but I got annoyed when she said that the past was in the past ("Fly away, bye bye") because like it or not, being molested affected Bunchy and it still affects him now. You can't just tell someone something is in the past and expect them to forget about it.

Ha, I totally agree that Bridget was an irresponsible dick for leaving the front door of the house open when she ran away. I mean, I know she lives in a nice neighborhood and all but running away is no reason to just leave the front door wide open.

Daryll is finally a real Donovan now that he realizes what a dick Mickey is. Too bad it took having his girlfriend murdered to make him understand that.

RIP, George Costanza's fiancée's mom.

Nice of her to visit her uncle in the hospital that was shot looking for her dumb ass.

What I really didn't get is that Ray drove her to the hospital. You can see that they're on the top level of a parking garage so he obviously didn't drop her off at home. But we never see her visiting Terry. Later we see Abby in Terry's hospital room and Ray went to the church. So how the hell did Bridget get home? I guess I keep thinking about when I lived in LA (before Uber and Lyft) and there wasn't a bus that would take her out to Calabasas.

• Love 3

My initial thoughts:

1.) Why does no one call an ambulance?  Maybe I'm a pussy, but when people are bleeding out from being shot, I would call an ambulance, I would not drive them around in my car (and not just because I don't want to get blood on the seats).  

That was my thought, as well, both at the apartment complex and when Ray collapsed at the Church.  I know we're supposed to appreciate the symbolism of the priest bringing Ray back to the city/kingdom of God/redemption, but any sane person would have called 911.

I really hope Bridget is gone for good.   When Ray was dragging her out of the hotel and they cut to Mickey, I thought Mickey might go in and shoot the teacher or find the teacher later and shoot him.   My other thought with Mickey as he was driving to Nevada was that he looked darn sleepy and that he'd drive off the road.

Does Teresa know her husband at all?  I thought she should have suspected that he might react oddly to the announcement that she's pregnant given that he reacts oddly often and to a wide range of situations.

Abby and Terry need to continue on into next season as emotional support for each other and as de facto parents to Conor (hopefully Bridget is never seen from again).

Poor Ray.  We pretty much knew last season that he, too, was molested even if he did everything he could to avoid the subject.   

Are we done with Katie Holmes, Hank Azaria, and Ian McShane?  I hope McShane is back somehow next season.  I love him.  You can't imagine a powerful man like that character would take all this easily.   So, what about Cochran?  He was shot in the leg.  How did he explain that?  What about Ari's dick pic on his computer?

Normally when someone uses the "I'm different! I'm damaged!' excuse, I roll my eyes but in this case I appreciate that Bunchy is erring on the side of caution. He is still damaged from being molested and he knows it. Look at how much he freaked out when he dated that woman who had a little boy last season because he was afraid that he might hurt him or be attracted to him. Part of me likes that Teresa accepts Bunchy for who he is, but I got annoyed when she said that the past was in the past ("Fly away, bye bye") because like it or not, being molested affected Bunchy and it still affects him now. You can't just tell someone something is in the past and expect them to forget about it.

There's something more wrong with Bunchy than that he was molested.  He appears mentally slow most of the time on top of whatever emotional issues he has.

• Love 4

Part of me likes that Teresa accepts Bunchy for who he is, but I got annoyed when she said that the past was in the past ("Fly away, bye bye") 

If she said that to Ray...those would have been her last words.

• Love 2

Yeah, the "damaged" thing has been played to death on TV especially with guys, but usually it's always in the form of "I'm damaged, I can't have a steady relationship/connection with a woman", this is pretty unique and specific and I have no problem with it too. Bunchy has had a fear of abusing a child, something that you can never take too lightly, no matter how likely he may actually be to do it. Not all victims become abusers, but sadly, it can happen so it's not like Bunchy has pulled the fear out of no where. And no, that just does not go away. Didn't Teresa lose a brother or something as a kid? How would she react if someone said "that's in the past, never think about him/pray." But I was done with Teresa when they got married at the church. Do I expect her to drop her religion entirely because of what happened to Bunchy? No. But having his wedding, with his family, at a Church with full Mass/Communion shows how little regard she actually has for him and what he went through.  

• Love 1

Okay, "conspiracy theory" time.  Did Ray die at the end of the episode?  Of course if the series is picked up again for a fourth season then he didn't.  But look at how it played out.  Ray has been shot and he is bleeding pretty bad, probably has internal bleeding.  He doesn't go to a hospital (obviously, because then he would be placed at the scene of that massacre and arrested).  So all he does for it is staunch the bleeding and change his shirt.  After his confession, he collapses face-first and we last see the priest checking his pulse.  Mixed in with this is Terry crashing while Ray begs the priest for his life to be spared.  After Ray collapses, we see Terry has survived and is now awake with Abby.  (Ray has given his life for Terry?)  In the final scene, Ray is in the car with the priest, who is smiling at him.  They are driving down the freeway and see a skyline between the hills, but it doesn't look exactly like the L.A. skyline, it seems Wizard of Oz-like, and seems to be getting unnaturally larger.  And why wouldn't the priest be rushing him to the hospital in a panic (or call an ambulance), what are they doing cruising on a freeway?  He is smiling and relaxed.  How did he even get him in the car?  Ray was totally out cold, and now Ray is awake in the car.  Is the priest driving Ray to the gates of Heaven?

So did Ray die?  Is he halucinating this?  Is this the ending of the show if it's not picked up?  (I don't know if it was)  The ending had a pretty strong theme of repentance and redemption to it.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 5

Something is just not right with the Bunchy/Teresa marriage. I don't like her. He needs a more softer, understanding woman. I laughed so hard when Avi said that about Mickey! I want Ian Mcshane to stay on but they can get rid of Katie, Bridget and Connah! Damn! Liev can sure act!

• Love 5

Dobian, that's an interesting theory. If the show hadn't been renewed in August, I'd say it's not impossible that Ray was actually meant to be dying. Does anyone know when they stopped filming? I've heard of shows ending seasons that could go either way for a series or season finale if they wrap before the season airs and they're unsure about renewal. So, maybe they did mean for it to be open ended that way. I'm a New Yorker so I know nothing about where the priest was driving from/too in Cali/ LA and how long any of it would have taken, ect. It took me a second to figure out they were going towards the heart of LA. 

Edited by Gigi43
That view of Downtown as you come over the hill

Ditto a comment upthread, I thought it looked like the Emerald City as seen from the Yellow Brick Road, except not green. Not sure about the symbolism though.

Anyway, I'm thinking that Theresa's baby isn't Bunchys. Something about her is not right (besides the whole dominatrix thing.) Maybe she was dumped by her baby's daddy and decided to marry Bunchy because she knew he had money and he would take care of her and the baby.

That's the way I'm seeing it too. And actually, it may be a relief to Bunchy if he ever finds out the kid isn't his since he seems to think he's damaged goods.

Teresa will kill him sometime next season.

Well, she'll might try. Best she not forget what family she married into. The Donovans don't play that.

Hopefully, she makes it across a state line and stays gone.

It'd be nice if she stopped off and picked up Paige to go with.

My other thought with Mickey as he was driving to Nevada was that he looked darn sleepy and that he'd drive off the road.

Maybe they're leaving their options open in case contract re-negotiations don't go well. I'd miss Jon Voight though. He's in good shape for a guy his age and of course he's still a great actor.

Liev Schreiber is really an underrated actor. Now that Mad Men and Breaking Bad are out of the way maybe he'll finally get his due from the Emmys.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

Why was the priest so smiley? He's in no rush whatsoever, going for a drive while Ray bleeds out. He's good, he saved his soul, no need to hurry. sheesh.

Yeah, that's why I posited the 'Ray is dead" theory, because the whole scene just seemed very surreal with the odd city skyline shot and the fact that Ray is now awake when he totally collapsed at the church from blood loss.  I mean really, a guy collapses in front of you bleeding heavily and you don't call an ambulance but instead take him for a leisurely drive down the freeway when he needs immediate life-saving attention and the nearest hospital is miles closer?  It appears they are coming back for a fourth season so this is a very strange ambiguity.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

So did Ray die?  Is he halucinating this?  Is this the ending of the show if it's not picked up?  (I don't know if it was)  The ending had a pretty strong theme of repentance and redemption to it.

The show was renewed last month and was never in any real danger of being canceled. It's Showtime's third highest rated show (behind Homeland and Shameless) and has double the ratings of renewed shows like The Affair, Masters of Sex and House of Lies.

I like the interpretation, though.

• Love 3

I hope Bridget ends up like many unfortunate teen runaways, never to be seen again, or better yet in desperate need of daddy's help, but stuck in a shipping container arranged by the pseudo Russian mafia. Her complete and utter disregard for the teacher, at the expense of her childish, selfish desire, made my head spin. Teacher is an idiot for continuing to entertain her nonsense, and thus got the much deserved ass beating by Ray. So selfish little Bridgie, wahhhh I hate my parents, decides to leave home, good riddance. Their are plenty of kids who would kill to grow up in her family. I have a feeling, if we ever see her again, that woe as me attitude is going to be for real.

Also, got the creepy vibe from Teresa. From the role-playing kinky sex, without really caring if Bunchy was into it, to how she told him she was pregnant. Something is definitely not right there.

What a great season. I have to say that Season 3 of Ray Donovan, Season 2 of Miami Vice and the one Season of Luck on HBO are the best three seasons of television I have ever seen.

Sniff, I still miss Luck, must go re-watch Season 1 DVD.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff
  • Love 1

Ray doesn't need abby and Bridget. As said many times the storyline with the teacher is icky.  Still love Mickie and Avi and Ray's woman assistant.  

Now listen... I can hang with Ray seeking redemption. I can hang with him not seeking it. I just think seeking it from that priest is annoying. In fact the priest should be seeking it himself.

Bunchie and Theresa? Way sick. They make me nautious.

• Love 2

I'm still willing to give Theresa the benefit of the doubt and believe that she is a genuine Domme who has found her perfect sub in Brendan.  I get the feeling the writing for this story is being influenced by someone who is either in the life full-time or who at least participates, unlike the total and complete bullshit that was foisted on us in the form of 50 Shades last year, someone who knows that Dominants do not give the presents -- computers, cars -- but it is the subs who bring the tribute.  

• Love 1

What a great season. I have to say that Season 3 of Ray Donovan, Season 2 of Miami Vice and the one Season of Luck on HBO are the best three seasons of television I have ever seen.

I agree "that fucking guy!" was the line of the year, and how appropriate. Why didn't Ray and Avi just let Mickey go in himself, get wasted, then go in and take care of the Armenians. That would have solved everything. Mickey is the cause of 99% of Ray's problems from Day 1. 

Ray didn't kill the teacher, like everyone thought he would. That should have calmed Bridget down. 

The scenes with Ray and the priest all season were quite outstanding, especially in this episode. Fascinating to see Ray reach rock bottom. Liev Schrieber deserves an Emmy for his work this season, hands down. Eddie Marsan deserves supporting actor for his portrayal of Terry.

Theresa is just as screwed up and disfunctional as Bunchy.

Edited by BigDfromLA
  • Love 3

I thought this was a really strong end of a surprisingly strong season. And I thought actingwise, Liev knocked it out of the park in that confessional sequence. Just heartbreaking. I was so glad to see Ray finally open up about the abuse, to anyone, and I appreciated the priest's role in that, and was glad he was on the level about simply wanting confession and to give absolution. I also didn't see anything sinister in the ending. I just assumed Ray's heartbeat was steady, he fainted as a reaction to the night and to the wound, but that he wasn't in mortal danger, so the priest is driving him to get care. Ray appeared conscious and at peace on the drive.

Fricking Bridget, man. All along, what I don't get about the writing there, is that she has caused this entire situation on this poor guy, yet when confronted she won't admit to anyone that she was practically stalking him, embarked on all of this expressly against his will or permission, even down to entering his home, stealing his pills, and kissing his semi-comatose body, and that even when Ray crashed in, all she had to say was, "Nothing happened! I tried to get him to be with me and he wouldn't!" and she would have saved the poor guy a world of hurt.

Even when they were walking on the pier together and he was rather calmly outlining how she had utterly ruined his life and career, her blase reaction just badly made wish he would have shoved her off the pier. Like, "Oh, well, I ruined your life by trying to sleep with you, so you might as well sleep with me now! Hee!" I can't stand her and really don't care if she comes back. Her entire arc has consisted of her acting like a spoiled child and saying "I want!" constantly -- I don't think the actress is bad, but it's a thankless part, as Bridget is just the Worst.

I do give props to Aaron Staton, who played an even more thankless character with a lot of nuance, and that final scene with him was pretty heartbreaking. I loved that the guy came to his senses and was just like, "What am I doing?" Meanwhile, I was just screaming at the damn TV for stupid Bridget to put her shirt back on as he had asked. (It felt a little contrived to me that she still hadn't done so when Ray barged in.) I truly hope the math guy cleaned up, went home, and still had a job and a life (and came to his senses about what a close call it had been).

Meanwhile, I'm so glad Terry is okay, since I adore him, and I have really loved his journey this season. I even love his relationship with Abby, since it makes total sense in a weird way that the two would be drawn to one another and have to redefine their boundaries at some point. He was there all the time, he was comforting and nurturing, he was a welcome source of support to Abby, who returned that support wholeheartedly. They were just so kind to each other. Then you have Ray, who is utterly absent from his home. So I got why they might find their feelings a little messy. I thought it was lovely when she sang to him in the hospital, and I loved that he said her name as he woke up. I don't exactly ship them -- I'd prefer it if they are able to channel that warmth and love into a familial bond (versus a romantic one), but I'm also kind of okay if something else happens there. We'll see.

The one thing I don't get on this show is why the grandkids act like it's no big deal to go hang out with "Grandpa." I mean, just that scene of Mickey partying with the naked hookers made me want to spray the entire apartment with hand sanitizer. Like it's really no big deal for Bridget or Connor to go over to that cesspit teeming with hookers, venereal diseases, booze, coke, and firearms? UGH. I don't buy that at all, either from Abby or from Ray, and I felt like that was bad writing.

I definitely didn't get anything sinister from Theresa this entire season, and still don't. I think she loves Bunchy, I think she's a relatively simple, straightforward person -- one of those people who is proactive about her decisions and her life. 

I think she's more into the sex play than Bunchy is, but at the same time -- part of his hesitance is his total inexperience. I don't get the sense that he's uncomfortable so much as unsure of himself. So I like them together. She has moved Bunchy forward as a person in a ton of really great ways. He's a grown man with her. He's taken control of his life. He's dealing with his abuse. He has a wife and a sex life.

Compare all these things to the hopeless man-child of the first two seasons. I think Theresa is really good for Bunchy and I really don't think she's playing him in any way. She's just tougher than he is. But I thought it was telling that she was so hurt by his reaction simply because she thought he wasn't committed or had reconsidered his feelings (I found it touching how scared she was, and how she was already, "Oh, hey, no worries, I'm outta here," when actually he does love her and is scared of letting her down). I also like the actress and think she's a nice addition to the show's mix of characters. I hope she and Abby hang out next season -- I think it'd be hilarious.

I agree, to a point, but at the same time all Bunchy has done his entire life is dwell on what happened, live in that headspace, and let it define him. To the extent that he was this big man-boy running around L.A. unable to care for himself at even a basic level. Theresa's viewpoint and reaction is good and bad to me -- on the good, I love that she is utterly unfazed by it, and appreciated his honesty (and I think was touched by it). On the bad, it's a simple reaction to a complex situation. But the way their scene ended, I felt she understood his fears and is willing to work with him on what comes next. I actually think they could be kind of adorable as parents -- she'll be strict, he'll be a pushover, and becoming a father will actually give Bunchy another reason to continue to grow. I'd also hope that the child will show Bunchy that he is capable of having a kid without being twisted about his feelings there in any way (or so I hope).

It was interesting the way the plots of this season worked, as Finney the big bad was dispatched so bloodlessly last episode, and Paige just seemed to exit with a whimper and a cameo here. But I thought overall it was a strong season, and am optimistic about what comes next. I have a feeling we might be seeing a happier more balanced Ray next season, and that interests me a lot (especially if it means we get back more of Avi and Lena, dammit). 

Last but not least, like many others, I have never loved Avi more than when he started screaming as Mickey appeared to once again screw everything up. Avi makes everything better (so glad he and Ray reconciled -- it wasn't the same).

• Love 6

I thought this was a really strong end of a surprisingly strong season. 

I agree.  The first season bothered me because they essentially shoehorned almost every single Irish Catholic stereotype into that family.  The only thing they left out was the IRA.   The second season stories (other than Bridget and her teacher) were much more interesting and the characters more 3 dimensional.  A great improvement all around (except Bridget).

• Love 3

Things that bugged me:

Terry ending up with a tracheostomy instead of an endotracheal tube right after trauma to the mesenteric arteries.

Terry getting shocked by the code team while still hooked up to the ventilator.

Terry being able to talk while attached to a tracheostomy attached to the ventilator.

The priest invoking the Holy Ghost when Catholics haven't said that since Vatican II.

I'm a nurse and a recovering Catholic.

Otherwise, pretty good finale.  Except for everything to do with Bridget, whose entire existence on this show has been a cavalcade of narcissism. 

More Lena and Avi, please.  Always.

• Love 5

I'm still willing to give Theresa the benefit of the doubt and believe that she is a genuine Domme who has found her perfect sub in Brendan.  I get the feeling the writing for this story is being influenced by someone who is either in the life full-time or who at least participates, unlike the total and complete bullshit that was foisted on us in the form of 50 Shades last year, someone who knows that Dominants do not give the presents -- computers, cars -- but it is the subs who bring the tribute.

If Bunchy wasn't a survivor of sexual abuse and child like, I'd have no issue with this

storyline. Now if it was Avi, hmmmmmmm.

If Bunchy wasn't a survivor of sexual abuse and child like, I'd have no issue with this

storyline. Now if it was Avi, hmmmmmmm.

Childlike is a little strong.  Bunchy is a grown man.  But he's afraid that he's an abuser himself and this makes him afraid of his own sexuality.  With the D/s dynamic, he gets to give over that control to someone else.  That makes his fear go away and he can be sexual.  Nothing wrong with that.   

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Avi in some kind of leather.  

• Love 1

The priest invoking the Holy Ghost when Catholics haven't said that since Vatican II.

That one bugged me, too, right along with the priest doing an on-the-spot excommunication and Ray and Terry taking him seriously.  Even my fresh off the boat Old World Catholic elderly relatives (including Irish) would have either laughed or told him off.  They have to have a couple of Catholics or former Catholics around that set.  Or, you know, since a specific organized religion is such a major aspect of the show they could have someone advising them.

This bugged me too. I'm catholic, or as cattykit so eloquently stated, a recovering catholic, and have never heard a priest say the holy ghost, thought that was a prot thing.

Edited by BigBlueMastiff