Type keyword(s) to search

The Music of LSSC: The House Band, Stephen and Musical Guests

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Jon performed a great version of Freedom tonight on the show. All that energy plus a full audience made it get up and dance in your living room time.

Yes! I was dancing along here as well :D.

I love that Stephen joined in and danced with everyone towards the end, too. That song's just impossible to sit still through, basically :p. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, buttersister said:

Jon performed a great version of Freedom tonight on the show

And I couldn’t help noticing the perfection of Jon’s extended falsetto singing —all of it on key and, well, “music to my [or anyone’s] ears.” 
Pure joy watching from home, but I wish I had been there.  
And we got to enjoy vicarious hugs.  Stephen and Jon Batiste hugging was exactly like me and my daughter every time since I moved across country in January to not be alone. 
If Jon wasn’t a musician, he would be known for his dancing. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, tvchick said:

Jon Batiste taped an Austin City Limits show on Sunday, which the ACL producer called the one of the most amazing shows he'd ever seen there.

Jon Batiste at ACL

I can't wait for this to air!  I love Jon (I may have mentioned that before...) and I love Austin City Limits!!!  And, I love the new album (everyone should get it!!) and the last album, "Hollywood Africans."   And...  Gary Clark Jr.!!!!!!!!!!  Sounds like a perfect show!

• Love 4

Y'all need to check out Jon now on CNN.  He's performing in the concert for NYC.  He looks fine... 

He sings good, too :) 

Edited by ebk57
preforming and performing are...different
  • Love 7

The Jon Batiste part of the concert was AWESOME. I wish the camera hadn't cut away to overhead crowd shots so often, though. I wanted to see him MOVE LIKE THIS and not see a bunch of dots on a lawn just kind of being there. Who thought that was good directing?

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank you, @ebk57
At 35:25, was that House of the Risin' Sun?

You're most welcome!  Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. 

I believe the piece you're asking about is St. James Infirmary Blues.  Here he is playing it on the show.  

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

You're most welcome!  Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. 

I believe the piece you're asking about is St. James Infirmary Blues.  Here he is playing it on the show.  

Yes! That’s it!   
Thanks 🙏🏼 again!!

ETA: I never noticed before the similarities in their melodies.  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Grammy nominations have been announced and Jon Batiste got several nominations:
Record of the year - "Freedom"
Album of the Year - "We Are"
Best Traditional R&B Performance - "I Need You"
Best R&B Album - "We Are"
Best Improvised Jazz Solo - "Bigger Than Us"
Best Jazz Instrumental Album - "Jazz Selections: Music From And Inspired By Soul"
Best American Roots Song (for writers) - "Cry"
Best Score Soundtrack For Visual Media - "Soul"
Best Contemporary Classical Composition - "Batiste: Movement 11"
Best Music Video - "Freedom"

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2022-grammys-complete-winners-nominees-nominations-list

(Forgive my typos if any)

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I had a very, very bad day, but whenever I thought about this news, it made me smile.  Yay Jon!! 

I hope tomorrow onward is better for you :). I'm glad this news was able to brighten your day a little, at least. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Whoa, that's quite a haul! Congratulations to Jon - here's hoping for a sweep!

Congratulations to Jon!  I want to go to a Colbert taping just to watch Jon perform.  When the show comes back from the commercial breaks, the band always looks like they are on fire.  A friend of mine saw Jon perform about 4 years ago in New Orleans and she told me it was the most amazing concert she ever attended.

• Love 7

Great going, Mr. Batiste!

I like that, in spite of his skyrocketing fame, he actually still seems grounded and even a bit humble while having confidence but NOT arrogance about his innate talents and gifts. No mean feat in the entertainment industry.

Of course, the sad irony is that it seems he made good use of the quarantine time (in which he just had to make a few minutes of cameo ZOOM appearances every evening as opposed to being in the studio and rehearsing beforehand quite a few hours a day, five days a week) to create this output that's been nominated. I seriously doubt he'll be able to dedicate the same amount of time or energy to side projects that he did in 2020 as long as the show is back to its former large-scale production and he may have to make a decision in the near future about how much longer he wants to stay full time on this show and whether he wants to take the chance and be a totally free agent. I also think it needs to be acknowledged that this won't be an easy decision on his part because he and Mr. Colbert appear to have a sincerely mutual liking for each other and respect for each other's talents.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, monakane said:

Congratulations to Jon!  I want to go to a Colbert taping just to watch Jon perform.  When the show comes back from the commercial breaks, the band always looks like they are on fire.  A friend of mine saw Jon perform about 4 years ago in New Orleans and she told me it was the most amazing concert she ever attended.

Same. I recorded his "Austin City Limits" show recently - this weekend would be a good time to sit down and watch it, 'cause I've heard so many good things. He's just got such an infectious energy about him. 

I loved seeing Stephen announce all of Jon's nominations on the show last night. He was like a proud father, it was so sweet and lovely :D. 

3 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I like that, in spite of his skyrocketing fame, he actually still seems grounded and even a bit humble while having confidence but NOT arrogance about his innate talents and gifts. No mean feat in the entertainment industry.

Agreed :). It's nice to see people like him get successful, 'cause you know their appreciation and gratitude is genuine. 

• Love 11

One thing that surprised me about the Austin City Limits appearance was that Jon sang for the whole hour. He doesn't get much chance to do that on LSSC, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear him singing. And his own songs, of course. Nice to see the Grammy committee taking notice of his talents!

• Love 3

saw the cbs segment and it was indeed amazing. and not at all surprised (not to mention delighted) to hear of his marriage. a few months back, i notice he was wearing what looked like a wedding band. thought i mentioned that in a post here, but i can’t seem to find it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, meowmommy said:

It's great that Jon is getting so much recognition, but is he going to be content continuing his day job as Stephen's sidekick, instead of focusing full-time on his solo career? 

9 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I'm wondering that myself. In a little over a year, the guy has won an Oscar and now 5 Grammys. I can't see him staying with the show forever.

I hope he stays for a long time. Questlove has been with Jimmy Fallon forever, and he's in a similar situation, as an Oscar and Grammy winner. Maybe having a steady gig in a house band gives them the freedom to do more creative projects. 🤞

• Love 12
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Congratulations, Jon! It's not exactly my kind of music, but I admire the pure joy he seems to have when performing.

And I admire how genuinely moved and humbled he somehow has remained whenever others give him accolades for his hard work! In addition to being enthralled with the act of creating music while highlighting and preserving his culture, he seems as though he'd be interesting to know if one were to have reason to be in his circle! 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, MaryMitch said:
21 hours ago, meowmommy said:

It's great that Jon is getting so much recognition, but is he going to be content continuing his day job as Stephen's sidekick, instead of focusing full-time on his solo career? 

18 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I'm wondering that myself. In a little over a year, the guy has won an Oscar and now 5 Grammys. I can't see him staying with the show forever.

I hope he stays for a long time. Questlove has been with Jimmy Fallon forever, and he's in a similar situation, as an Oscar and Grammy winner. Maybe having a steady gig in a house band gives them the freedom to do more creative projects. 🤞

true enough about the freedom a steady gig provides. but a steady gig also provides flexibility. if jon needs time off to care for his wife, finding a musician to stand in — especially in nyc — is a lot less complicated than cancelling/rescheduling dates if he’s on tour and something happens. 

• Useful 1

Mr. Batiste seemed genuinely touched when Mr. Colbert invited him to sit in the Guest Chair before he asked Mr. Batiste about the Emmy night. In spite of the fact that Mr. Batiste had answered the same questions beforehand, he graciously recounted his reactions in detail. Also, while I also thought it was a nice touch for Mr. Colbert to congratulate him on having recently married his longtime companion Miss Jaouad, Mr. Batiste sincerely thanked Mr. Colbert for his emotional support through many previous 'private talks' about his bride's health struggles- and appreciated Mr. Colbert for having been an anchor. Not only have I gained more respect for Mr. Colbert for having kept his colleague's confidences about his beloved's struggles (and the marriage having happened) but I was moved at how cathartic it was for both of them to acknowledge the intense highs and lows of what this couple have been going through. THIS is the side of Mr. Colbert I'd like to see more of. In any case, it was quite amazing to view. 

• Love 14
5 hours ago, chediavolo said:

It makes sad to see legends like The Who at this stage. I remember the 70’s. That song was the Muzak version of the original😞

My fondness for acoustic guitar and fond memories of "Behind Blue Eyes" from 1971 made me appreciate the performance enough to not turn it off.
But Daltrey's voice was idiosyncratic in his youth. Now it's still that way and weakened with age. 
In contrast, I was bowled over by same-aged Cher's rendition of "Thank You For Being a Friend" at the end of Betty White's recent tribute show over on NBC.
Cher's voice still resonated; Daltrey's not so much. At least he looks reasonably heathy.   

• Love 5
(edited)

Well, IMO, a big reason Jon looks so good on the outside is that he has so much inner beauty that it shines through   
—and it shines through his music too 🎶 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 12