Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Girl Meets Cory And Topanga

Yeah they could have used a few more clips. Not sure if we really needed the Farkle/Lucas storyline. It wasn't bad but would have liked more flashbacks.

Liked the episode. Would also have liked a scene at the end with Topanga/Cory/Riley discussing Riley's problem. Really liked the scene with the nun. Blinky indeed.

Loved Maya throwing the Joey Tribbiani  line "How you doin'" to the young Cory. And,  loved Maya and Farkle doing the high five and feeling nothing with farkle saying "I don't understand, but I am disappointed"

They're definitely going the Maya/Lucas direction because she did react to him wrapping his arm around her to keep her from killing Farkle earlier.

Topanga looked beautiful in her superhero shot, but Cory exited via trapeze, so I'm torn.

• Love 1

Soooo Farkle is bionic? Because his "red eyeing" the basketball and calculating the physics to throw it for him and later on for Lucas is exactly how Chase does it on Lab Rats right down to the sound effect.

wow Riley your parents were so imperfect growing up it could takes us days to tell all the tales. Like the time your mom cut her hair to prove a point to Cory and had a complete freak out when she saw herself in a mirror.

• Love 2

I was a bit surprised they used only season 1 clips

I think they used season 1 clips to keep the ages approximate between the characters. That ensured that the middle school characters were in a middle school flashback.

Edited by TAG42481
  • Love 1

This turned out MUCH better than I had anticipated. Not sure the Farkle/Lucas plot was needed, but I guess it would have been hard to wedge them into the storyline without their side plot. I liked how Cory and Topanga were fleshed out a bit, but I still would like see a Topanga/Riley episode. 

• Love 1

I thought this was a bad episode and kinda stupid. The flashbacks were incredibly lame and pointless nostalgia. I think the show really trying way too hard to pander to BMW fans.

We probably didn't need another episode about Riley freaking out over her lack of accomplishments. Riley you're only 13 go have fun and do kid stuff. Her arc just wasn't that different from the many other times she's compared herself to her parents. Ultimately, it felt like a retread of past events.

And speaking of Topanga (who is still useless imo), when are we gonna get some mother/daughter plots and special moments with Riley and Topanga. They don't act like mother and daughter and hardly interact.

I glad we a Farkle and Lucas subplot, but my problem is it felt disjointed from the main plot, wasn't really interesting, and it led to Farkle and Lucas back to classroom to beat us over the head with another lesson which ruined it for me. I'm sick out everything tying back to that damn classroom! I hate the classroom scenes.

This episode had no plot and was just boring filler.

• Love 1

I thought this was a bad episode and kinda stupid. The flashbacks were incredibly lame and pointless nostalgia. I think the show really trying way too hard to pander to BMW fans.

We probably didn't need another episode about Riley freaking out over her lack of accomplishments. Riley you're only 13 go have fun and do kid stuff. Her arc just wasn't that different from the many other times she's compared herself to her parents. Ultimately, it felt like a retread of past events.

And speaking of Topanga (who is still useless imo), when are we gonna get some mother/daughter plots and special moments with Riley and Topanga. They don't act like mother and daughter and hardly interact.

I glad we a Farkle and Lucas subplot, but my problem is it felt disjointed from the main plot, wasn't really interesting, and it led to Farkle and Lucas back to classroom to beat us over the head with another lesson which ruined it for me. I'm sick out everything tying back to that damn classroom! I hate the classroom scenes.

This episode had no plot and was just boring filler.

Fair points. One thing I was a bit annoyed with, was with Riley acting so damn naive. It's one thing to not know what you're going to do with your life, but it's another to act like she did about some things in this ep.

As for Topanga, I disagree here. For one of the first times in the series, we got a glimpse of her doing her job. Being a lawyer. And seeing her interact with Riley about it. 

Sabrina copying Topanga's movements during her interpretive dance routine was my favorite part because I remember doing that as a kid and thinking it was so cool. lol

Oh Riley, sis, you're 13 no one knows who they are till they are in their mid 20s to early 30s. Calm down. She's like the Dawson of this show where she makes everything much bigger than it really is. Still love her and thinks she needs to be checked by a doctor some day. lol

• Love 3

yep when I was 13 the last thing on my mind was trying to out achieve my parents. I wonder if their trying to jam too much maturity down too fast? Where am I in the universe? Is something that comes later.

My opinion this should have been Riley alone dealing with this. Don't forget this is BMW continuation of C/T family not Maya's.

This allows the Riley character to evolve but even in the flashbacks it was Maya mimicking young Topanga's dance not Riley.

Riley is asking all the questions that really shouldn't even be on her mind at her stage of life but she's still a naive ditzz..

Edited by David-
  • Love 1

Okay, show. It's cute when you play up callbacks, but retrofitting a clip to put a window seat in the original? Nope, nope, nopity, no, nope. Not cool.

Actually, if you look back, that seat's been there the whole time. They rarely ever utilized it, but yep, original.

boy-meets-world-episode-11-photo-2.jpg?w

• Love 4

I liked the episode a lot. I kind of hope they do it again some time and use a Shawn clip.

I kept waiting for Maya to say something about Topanga's dress/whole look in either clip, but especially the blue dress, it looked like something Maya would wear herself.

Crazy that the clips are from what? 1993, 1994?

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 1

The effect was horrible or edited incorrectly cause it looked WEIRD.

I didn't find it that way. They couldn't have shown them both in the scene very often. They went back to Riley and Maya talking since they weren't a part of the original clip. It's like how they film a scene with characters that look alike. Think Robin Williams meeting Mork. He played them both, but it only showed one character at a time talking. It's kind of like that.

• Love 1

Oh Riley, sis, you're 13 no one knows who they are till they are in their mid 20s to early 30s. Calm down. She's like the Dawson of this show where she makes everything much bigger than it really is. Still love her and thinks she needs to be checked by a doctor some day. lol

Sure, no one knows who they are until they are in their 20s or so, but 13 year olds don't know this. Not only do they not know this, but telling them that will not make them feel any better about not knowing who they are. I remember not liking to watch the Olympics when I was a young teen because these 15-16 year old gymnasts who were only a few years older than me were winning gold medals and I was just a typical suburban junior high kid. Sure, that's not everyone, and I might have had some perfectionist tendencies, lol. Riley's character has been written to be kind of existential like that though and think about her place in the world. I thought this was very much in character for her. 

• Love 1

It's very much in character for her to think about these things. Didn't Cory use to do the same? Or wonder what was so special about him? When I was a kid I use side eye him for thinking so quickly about the future. I don't want to think about the future even in my 30s. lol

I didn't find it that way. They couldn't have shown them both in the scene very often. They went back to Riley and Maya talking since they weren't a part of the original clip. It's like how they film a scene with characters that look alike. Think Robin Williams meeting Mork. He played them both, but it only showed one character at a time talking. It's kind of like that.

No I mean you could tell it was a green screen because it wasn't edited correctly or something. It's hard to explain unless you're watching it and noticed it.

I was a bit put off by the "flashbacks" because it was framed as Riley telling a story about her parents, yet she and Maya were acting like they could actually see young Cory and Topanga. They could have at least had them looking at old photographs or something.

The "impossible" shot that Farkle had Lucas make was the sort of shot that we used to attempt for fun at the end of every practice. Not that they were easy shots, but it wasn't exactly rare to make one either.

No I mean you could tell it was a green screen because it wasn't edited correctly or something. It's hard to explain unless you're watching it and noticed it.

I was. Only way I could tell was that they were in the background of the scenes themselves.

What did you notice that seemed off, editing wise?

I was thinking of something. How does Riley not see what she means to the World when she's always there for her friends? When the arts was getting cut the first person she thought of was Maya. When Farkle was getting bullied she worried about him. If anything as of right now she's a great friend and that's all she needs to know at the moment. lol

Also man I loved Topanga's 90s hair.

• Love 2

I was. Only way I could tell was that they were in the background of the scenes themselves.

What did you notice that seemed off, editing wise?

I'll have to look back but it was kinda choppy and/or fuzziness around the girls.

I enjoyed the nostalgia of the BMW clips, but wish it would have been a different storyline that brought them to us.  I mean, honestly, how many "who am I" crises can a 14 year old have?  And I agree it would have been better if the girls had been looking at old photos while Riley told the story.  It makes sense that Riley would know what her parents looked like as kids but Maya....not so much.  Just a shot of Riley with a shoebox of pics of her parents, looking through them with Maya before she started the story, would have made the difference.  That said, I loved Maya doing the dance with Topanga and Riley seeing some of her mother in herself (the show does tend to focus on how she is Cory....as Uncle Shawn once said "You're Cory with Topanga's hair).

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but did it feel like the episode was directed towards us? I felt like the story or whatever would be enough to entertain kids, but the subtext (I can't believe I just typed that) was "Grown ups, this is NOT Boy Meets World. Stop overly comparing! Enjoy it for what it is." Or maybe I was just reading too much into it (I did use the word subtext, after all).

• Love 1

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but did it feel like the episode was directed towards us? I felt like the story or whatever would be enough to entertain kids, but the subtext (I can't believe I just typed that) was "Grown ups, this is NOT Boy Meets World. Stop overly comparing! Enjoy it for what it is." Or maybe I was just reading too much into it (I did use the word subtext, after all).

I didn't notice that tbh. I enjoyed it for what it was.

While people were complaining about there not being enough flashbacks, I was thinking they had the right amount. This isn't "Boy Meets World: The Grown-Up Years," so we should let it develop on its own. Speaking for myself, I'm getting tired of the "Boy Meets World" fanservice. I don't need or want to see every single character who was on that show appear on this one. 

I didn't have an issue with Riley having a little bit of "I'll never live up to my parents" angst. She's a 13-year-old girl. Drama is their bread and butter.

I was dismayed that Cory was tutoring clowns of all things. Doesn't he know they're evil? Besides, I thought he hated clowns (or maybe that's just me).

• Love 1