Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E08: The Gauntlet

Tara Ariano

Congrats to Nora! 

This was actually a challenge whose parameters favored her, because the key to victory was consistency and a certain...resilience over a one time flash of brilliance.  Nevertheless her goblins were a lot of fun and that frostbite makeup was awesome.

Too bad about Jasmine, but better her than Stevie I suppose.  Though, Evan would have been my guess-I wasn't as impressed with his angels as the judges were.

My guess is Evan and Meg are both on borrowed time.

• Love 4

While i liked the cumulative scoring aspect to this episode, my concern is that Face Off is going the way of Project Runway and looking for ways to compress all of their challenges to 1 or 2 days.  While it adds variety in the short term, the downside is, over the long haul, it will give far fewer opportunities to see really dazzling, elaborate makeups.

Kevon looks like he could be Apolo Ohno's cousin or brother.

• Love 6

I understand your concern Lyric, but the descriptions/episode titles of some of the upcoming episodes make me think we're gonna get some heavy hitting longer term projects ahead, now that they've eliminated the bottom half of the contestant pool. 

• Love 1

I loved the Gauntlet challenge idea. It forced the contestants to think quickly and focus on make up, not sculpting, moulding or fabrication. I REALLY loved the cumulative rankings , as it rewarded consistent quality while also providing an early lower ranked contestant with the opportunity to save herself.

Had no issue with the stage winners, overall Gauntlet winner (congrats Nora!) and elimination. The general quality was so much higher than the sex swap that it's hard to believe these are the same contestants. A satisfying rebound from the utter failure of last week.

• Love 10

I'm sort of sad to lose Jasmine, she was doing so well at first. Honestly, I thought she might make top 3, but I guess she lost her confidence. TrashTalkTV is interviewing all the contestants for this season and they just ran Jasmine's interview.  The other interviews are here. They are interspersed with reviews of the episodes. Jason was the first interview she did.

• Love 2

Teenage Couch Son was sure that The Gauntlet would require the Facetestants to do a beauty makeup while former Facetestants shot silicone prosthetics at them from across the room.

But seriously, folks, lots of happiness in our house that Nora won.

Edited by Lorimac
  • Love 3

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I love the Gauntlet challenge but I'm sad to see Jasmine go. I thought she was definitely going to make it to to end. I can't say she didn't deserve to be eliminated through, her angel makeup was terrible.

I actually hope they do this challenge every season. It was refreshing to see a challenge that focused on makeup and not sculpting. If they do this again, I think it would be cool to make one of the rounds strictly beauty makeup. I'm so sick of hearing the contestants complain that they don't know how to do beauty makeup.

• Love 9

I was really hoping that Kevon would be sent home this time.  Drat, instead its Jasmine.  I really liked her despite the awful lipstick she kept wearing.  There's something about Kevon that really bugs me; maybe its that horrible hairstyle he's sporting.  He also seems like he's only performing well half the time while the other half he's screwing up.  On another shallow note, I wish Nora would take off that ball cap sometime besides in the talking heads.  

I would have loved to have seen The Gauntlet on another season (maybe the All-Star one? with Laura, Tate and Roy) with stronger contestants. There have actually been several really good challenges this season but the final quality of the make-ups....eh. Here it was clear (like with Nora) who was going to be on top and who wasn't. I knew as soon as Stevie and Evan were praised in the final that it was going to be Jasmine (although I hadn't realized how similar Meg's make-ups were until it was literally shown to us and its obviously something the judges have picked up now too). Heck, they didn't even bother to show some of the make-ups (beyond a blink and you miss it) in the first two challenges or the judges response to them.

• Love 2

I like the gauntlet challenge, if they screwed up something, they could still recover. I thought Nora was the most consistent over all three challenges. Since I thought "Jasmine's work has really gone downhill" a few times during the episode, I was not surprised to see her go.

THANK YOU. I've been trying to figure out who he looked like since the first episode.

• Love 2

I noticed they never specified exactly what the weighting was for each challenge. The weighting for the first challenge must've been practically non-existent if Kevon could go from last there to first in the second. It wasn't like his bottom placement in the first challenge was a near thing; his frozen dude was quite non-realistic.

Goodbye, Jasmine. I hope she learns to listen more carefully to instructions. Her poisoned guy in the first challenge was very well-done - I gagged looking at him (I mean that in a good way) - but not what the challenge was about. I'm bummed to see her go because she turned out some good paint jobs. Neville was quite sorry to see her go too, and I also haven't heard McKenzie look/sound so sorry in quite a while. McKenzie's nice to all of them and she always says the same thing at each elimination, but her delivery definitely differs based on how much she really likes a particular contestant. If the save existed this season (not that I'm campaigning for the show to resurrect that device) I think they very well might've used it tonight.

I groaned when McKenzie announced this would be the hardest challenge in Face Off history, because it's nuts to have the challenges getting harder when the groups of contestants are getting weaker. I've really wished that they had mentors again this season because at this point the available pool is so weak. That said, it actually worked out pretty well. It only really seemed "hardest" in terms of the number of challenges and models they had to paint, not so much in what they were actually asking to be accomplished within each challenge. They didn't need to come up with creative concepts or do any molding.

Count me as unimpressed with Evan's angel in the final challenge. I probably would've just given that to Nora straight-up, but I'm happy she won the overall Gauntlet.

I wish the editors would learn to mix it up in the non-final challenges when they ask the judge(s) to identify a couple of favorite looks: The first one named is always the challenge winner. It's so predictable that there is no need to cut to commercial to "build suspense." I can see why the judge always starts off with their favorite look, it's human nature, but it would not be hard at all for the editors to switch the order sometimes so that viewers can stay guessing through the commercial break.

• Love 1

I loved this challenge.  It was great to have the artists focus on the paint job and to minimize the gory aspects of the challenges.

I wish we had a season of beauty make-ups only, as I think that seems to be what a lot of contestants lack.  I don't even know why so many of them are so unskilled in that regard.  If you want a career as a makeup artist in Hollywood, there are much more movies/TV shows featuring regular or beauty makeups than there are gory/scary makeups.  It baffles me that a lot of the artists competing on Face Off admit to not having any beauty makeup experience.

While I loved this challenge, I too am concerned about Face Off trying to shorten challenge duration for the future.  I think they might be doing thi kind of shorter challenges as a way to test the waters and see if it could work in the future.  I hope they realize that two or three challenges of this type a season is a good thing but that they don't go the cheap Project Runway route of having 99% of the challenges be one-day, stressful, drama generating challenges.  That totally ruins the quality of the final products the contestants present and the enjoyment of the show.

I really liked Nora's frost bitten guy and her goblins.  She's one of my favorites this season.  I didn't think Jasmine would go before Evan, but her makeups this challenge were very bad, so, I agree with the judges' decision this time.  I think the next to go will probably be Evan and Megan, as the quality of their work seems inferior to the other contestants that remain.  Unless they pull something really brilliant in the next couple of episodes.

I also think Stevie is on borrowed time.  Her paint jobs are always so bright they read almost cartoonish to me.  That green was positively fluorescent.  I didn't like it at all, but it must have read better in person, as the judges seemed to like it.

Anyway, my guess for the next three eliminations is Evan, Stevie and Meg.  Possibly in that order.

All in all, good recovery episode this week. I hope they have The Gauntlet challenge again next season.  Actually, I wouldn't object to the concept of a leaderboard for an entire season, like they do in Dancing with the Stars.  If the show is looking for more audience participation, this could be a good way to have that happen.  People could tweet for the contestant they wish the show to keep from the leaderboard's bottom three.  Or even if they don't include the audience, this would allow some people who are good but have a bad day to remain in the competition longer, and to get rid of consistently bottom three performers sooner.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 2

Am I on crazy pills or does Stevie consistently get super lenient judging? When he goblins came out, I laughed due to the fact that they all had green faces and unpainted necks/shoulders/chests/arms/legs. It looked horrible, but the judges were so positive.

• Love 5

I have mixed feelings about this episode. I love the Gauntlet challenge but I'm sad to see Jasmine go. I thought she was definitely going to make it to to end. I can't say she didn't deserve to be eliminated through, her angel makeup was terrible.

I actually hope they do this challenge every season. It was refreshing to see a challenge that focused on makeup and not sculpting. If they do this again, I think it would be cool to make one of the rounds strictly beauty makeup. I'm so sick of hearing the contestants complain that they don't know how to do beauty makeup.

Not only is it astounding that contestants revealed that they couldn't do a beauty makeup, but The Gauntlet revealed that some of them couldn't really paint. Considering that the jobs that most of them will get in the industry will be supporting someone like Vi, then their application and painting skills should be on point.

• Love 3

Yay for Nora winning, and boo for Jasmine leaving.  

Jasmine is normally such a good painter that she should have been a contender to win the Gauntlet.  I think messing up on the instructions in the first challenge, plus having trouble last week (which was probably the day before to the contestants) broke her confidence and got her too nervous to think straight.  Last week she tore off the prosthetics and just painted in a really short time (and was safe), but, this time, when she saw that the paint wasn't working out as whe planned she jsut kept trying to fix it.  i think it would have been better if she jsut removed as much as she could or paint over the whole thing and start all over.  Most of the contestants would not be able to do that, but she probably could have.  

This was a fun episode.  I hope it becomes an every season kind of thing.  

• Love 2

I would have like to see how each round was weighted. The sceptic in me questions how three in the bottom rose to the top. Too many shows manufacture drama and I would hate to see Face Off join in. Just wondering...

I'm thinking something like this:

Round 1: 20%

Round 2: 30%

Round 3: 50%

I liked the exposure challenge, since we don't see enough realistic make up on the show. Still annoyed by how so many struggle to do beauty make up. I get it, these contestants want to do horror/monster make up. However, Tim Burton isn't constantly filming, so knowing how to do beauty make up could be a way of paying the bills since I'm sure the demand is high (weddings, photo shoots, TV and film). Being well-rounded is the strategic and intelligent thing for these individuals, and there are tons of tutorials on YouTube. There's no excuse for why some of them really suck at beauty make up.

Even with Tim Burton, his last four live action films were Big Eyes, Dark Shadows, Alice in Wonderland, and Sweeney Todd. From what I can recall, the only one of those films that had any real prosthetic work was Alice in Wonderland. The others featured a lot of just general movie makeup, wig, and costume work. I know all of the sculpting makes for good TV, but I get the sense that most of the professional work these folks will do will not involve lots of complicated appliances. If you look at a show like Defiance, the show went to the trouble to create 8 different alien races and then really only featured the ones with the least number prosthetics, except for Yewell.

• Love 1

I'm thinking something like this:

Round 1: 20%

Round 2: 30%

Round 3: 50%

Kevon was last in Round 1, and went all the way up to first after his win in Round 2. If they were weighted anywhere near the same (like 20/30), he would have been slightly above the middle after two rounds.

I bet it was something like

5 / 20 / 75

• Love 2

I am getting very tired of the "make the female aliens/monsters/angels/witches into whores or slaves or victims" trope. Especially when the female contestants grab for it. This is the 21st century, no? You can't think of any other relationship to portray between a male and a female character than those?

• Love 15

My math isn't strong enough to tell whether you are right or not (seems fine but what do I know?)  PreviouslyTV helpfully shows the leaderboards in full so I suppose someone with a mathematical bent could doublecheck the numbers (it will not be me).

Well, it's not straightforward.  There's no way to prove definitively that no shenanigans were going on because the data we have is after the weights have been applied, so, you'd have to calculate it backwards.  Plus we don't know the scoring system (is it 9 to 1 since there are 9 contestants? is it 30 to 0 since there are three judges that could give 10 points to each artist? is it 100 to 0? Is it some other total based on points for different aspects?)

What you can do is decide on a grading scale (say 10 points for best 1 point for worst), apply that to the standings in round 1, and then play with percentage weights and the sliding scale to see what numbers would get you the combined results of the leaderboard.  Doing it that way you see how many points each contestant would have to get in one particular round in order for his/her combined weighted score to place the contestant in the standing for that round.

So, in round one Nora gets 10 points and Kevon gets 2, I applied the 20% weight to that.  Then I looked at the standings after round 2.  Assuming the same sliding scale and that round two is weighted at 30%, Kevon would get 10 points, which gives him a weighted total of 3.4 points.  Everyone else after that you play with the points, so that the weighted total is less than 3.4 points. When I played with it, Nora had to get 4.2 points in the second round (the lowest points for the round) in order to come in under 3.4 points.  To tie that score for second place in the weighted total after round two, Ben would have to get 7 points and Jordan 5.  And so on.

Applying a 50% weight for round 3, Evan had to get a little under 10 points in order to finish second (behind Nora).  Nora couldn't get a 10 because she didn't win the round, so, I gave her a 9.  But if I give Evan a 10, he comes out ahead of Nora in the weighted total, so, he'd have to get 9.6 in order to win the round and still end up second in the final standings.

In any case, forcing the math to work with the standings doesn't ensure that I've figured out exactly how they scored each round or how they weighted it, but, looking at the numbers I had to use to make it come out in the same order as the leaderboard, I'd say it looks very logical and supports the judges' comments for the makeups.  So, to me, it doesn't look like there was anything fishy about it.

Edited by WearyTraveler
  • Love 3

I would have like to see how each round was weighted. The sceptic in me questions how three in the bottom rose to the top. Too many shows manufacture drama and I would hate to see Face Off join in. Just wondering...

I think if the judges were going for drama, they would have had someone jump from worst to first between the second and third rounds - doing it between the first and second rounds was rather anti-climatic.  

At first, I thought that they would just rank them and maybe give points for where they placed in the rankings - so 10 points if you finished first, 9 for second, 8 for third, and so on.  Do the same for the second round but multiple those points by 2 or 3, since that round was worth more, it that would have made it very difficult for Kevon to move from the bottom to the very top.  

So, now I think that each round had a possibility of a certain number of points, with a higher possible amount for each successive round, and each artist was given a score.  For example,  Kevon finished the first round with only 10 of a possible 20 points, but they were so impressed with his second round make-up that they gave him 49 of the 50 points possible. Now he has a total of 59 points.  Meanwhile, Nora did great the first round and got 18 out of a possible 20, but the second round, she only got 37 out of 50, now her total score is 55, and she is in third place (someone else managed to get 57 points).  

I wish they would have explained it better.

Edited by needschocolate

This episode was SO much better than last week! I was really bummed to see Jasmine go as I had her pegged to make final 3, however Nora has just really rocked it so hard! Now I think Nora will make top three with Jordan and either Ben or Scott, I think Stevie is next to leave, then Meg, then Evan. Great episode even without all the sculpting (which I really enjoy seeing them sculpt).

• Love 1

I was thinking a cross between Dave Navarro and a young Tom Hulce, but I can see Apollo, too.

Love this challenge and I love Nora's work.  I hope she's in the finals.

• Love 1

Interesting challenge, but I must say, just as someone mentioned above, I would have liked to see such a challenge during a stronger season. And I would have liked more transparency in the way each round was weighted & graded.

That said, no complaints about the bottom three or the top looks, this week.

Like many others I was glad to see Nora win this one she really deserved it! I hope she makes it to the finals. Not only do I think she is immensely talented she just seems so down to earth, and friendly. Would love to just hang out with her and enjoy a meal.

• Love 5

I liked this episode! I like seeing the designers thrown out of their comfort zones, but in reasonable and still applicable ways, not just "we're going to have a sleep over so no one gets any rest!"

I sincerely hope every future contestant is watching this and thinking, "Oh shit - I need to learn beauty makeup!"

• Love 6

I am getting very tired of the "make the female aliens/monsters/angels/witches into whores or slaves or victims" trope. Especially when the female contestants grab for it. This is the 21st century, no? You can't think of any other relationship to portray between a male and a female character than those?

For the past few seasons, I have wondered about some of the Face-testants' life experiences. Being fed on the current crop of schlocky horror movies, you do not see much whimsy or other types of makeup used in non-monster films. You would expect some understanding of current pop culture and the liberal arts. Plus have some knowledge of costume and makeup history. If someone is good with makeup, places like Sephora would be fantastic. Lots of opportunities for beauty make ups and dealing with all sorts of clients. Or volunteering your love of makeup at local hospitals. Working with people going through cancer and other illnesses would be great. As would volunteering or working at local theatres. Maybe many working opportunities are based in horror and monster movies these days so you do what the industry asks and do not get much opportunity to acquire a broad-based skill set.

Edited by Frozendiva

I think it has to do with why people got into this in the first place - what was it about it that drew them, made them feel passionate? For the vast majority, it seems to be monster/fantastical-creature makeup. So it's not necessarily that they can't find opportunities to do beauty makeup, it's that they just haven't cared to. People tend to spend their time on what actually interests them. I can see why beauty makeup can seem boring in comparison (although too many monsters also definitely got boring for me). Dina, maybe the best beauty makeup contestant this show has ever had, was a cake decorator, so it seems like she was someone who was genuinely interested in the concept. But most of these contestants seem to have become interested by this or that SF/fantasy TV show or film.

But I hope that one thing this show will do is demonstrate to future contestants that whether or not it's an interest of theirs, to really get somewhere in this industry they need to learn beauty makeup. I mean, we've already seen that people have figured out that this show is best treated as a job interview/opportunity to network.

To clarify a point I brought up upthread - I don't think there were judging shenanigans regarding the weighting of the three challenges. I trust the judges to respect the integrity of the competition, and I think the fact Jasmine went home bears that out, because they liked her a lot more overall than a couple of the others. If the judges were going to screw around with the placements, then they would have kept her, IMO. It wouldn't have required that much tweaking to make Stevie the loser, since Jasmine was sixth going into the third challenge and so viewers wouldn't have been surprised to see her just evade elimination based on her position going in. But she did do the worst this week and so they sent her home. I just noted that the first challenge really couldn't have been weighted much if Kevon could go from dead-last to first place; his piece in the first challenge was easily the worst one, and while I agree he was the best in the second challenge, there were a couple of other contestants who were just behind him. So only the second challenge being weighted much more heavily than the first could have explained him being able to go all the way from worst to first.

I think that's probably why the show wasn't transparent about the weighting; not to hide (non-existent) shenanigans, but because it would've removed a good amount of the suspense if the audience knew that the first challenge was weighted so little as to be essentially irrelevant to the final placement.

It doesn't need to be weighted that much more heavily.  If you give Nora 10 points for the first challenge and you give Kevon 2 points, then apply 20% to that, you have Nora with a weighted score of 2.0 and Kevon with a weighted score of 0.4

For the second round, if you give Kevon 10 points and Nora 4.2 points and then apply 30% to that, Kevon has a total weighted score of 3.4 and Nora 3.3 making them 1st and second.  So, Round 2 being weighted at 30% (only 10% more than round one), still allows Kevon to jump from last to first.

• Love 1

I love that the main emphasis in the gauntlet was paint and application, not fabrication. I also loved the emphasis on realism. Even in the second challenge, Glen told them to make the paint look realistic.

I'm glad Glen pointed out that the eye area on Evan's model had no damage which was unrealistic. I hate that Evan's attitude was "I'm not going to win but it's not the worst." Kevon continues to be slightly delusional. In the previous episode, he thought his male to female transformation looked good (which it did not) and this week he thought that the busted capilaries on his model looked realistic. I was glad that Ve said they looked like gunshot wounds with spider legs because I thought the same thing.

Jordan's subtle frozen makeup looked realistic without being overdone. Nora's also looked realistic but to be honest, I was mostly cracking up at how tiny she looked next to her huge model. I liked that her frostbite was severe without being overdone. Meg's was decent but her model's face looked too white. I think she needed some more blue tones to make it look less like plain flat white (as opposed to a real skin tone).

Jasmine's mistake with poison as opposed to weather damage was too bad. Stevie's looked like she just had a sunburn and some chapped lips. I didn't understand why she had a red line across her forehead though. Scott's looked more severe and realistic. I thought all the blisters on Ben's seemed overdone.

When Evan said that painting is not his strong suit and that he got the short straw, I seriously thought WTF, dude? How can you be a makeup artist and not paint well? Do you plan on just making prosthetics and having someone else paint them?

Same thing with Kevon - painting is an essential part of being a make up artist! I thought his decision to use purple and gold on the face just because the costume had purple and gold was stupid. It's called contrast. Or hey, look at normal people. Do all humans only wear flesh colored clothes? But he ended up creating a cool lizardy looking paint job. Those bronze highlights looked good.

I liked the way Ben used the contours in the prosthetic and highlighted them with lighter colors. I also liked all the metallic colors he used.

In contrast, I hated what Jasmine did. Glenn was right when he said it looked like bodypainting. There's nothing wrong with airbrush bodypainting but it just looked too fuzzy and messy. The model's face ended up looking like a mask. I also hated hte chartreuse lipstick and the blueish line going down the middle of the lower lip. Just terrible.

Stevie's goblin looked better from a distance but when the camera came in closer, the color was really flat. Scott's burlap face looked more like melted color instead of sun bleached fabric. I liked that Neville pointed out the way the color should look if the sun was coming from above.

The brief look we got at Nora's was okay but I thought it was a little too pink/peach. Jordan's clown looked like a cheap Halloween mask (I have no idea how he ended up in third place for this round), as did Evan's witch. Meg's looked good but not great.

In the third stage, once again Evan was complaining. At this point I was like STFU, Evan.

One good thing about both Stevie and Jasmine was that they realized their paint wasn't working. The difference is that Stevie figured out a way to unmuddy her dark green while Jasmine didn't come up with a solution. I know they had limited time for these challenges, but I really hated that Stevie's goblins had green faces and then regular colored arms.

I didn't really like Ben's witches and warlocks. I didn't get his Charlie's Angels vibe. Evan's angels did nothing for me.

I loved that Nora's comment about her goblins was, "They're gross and I couldn't be happier." I hated the crazy feather eyelashes on Kevon's main angel. Between the long noses and the green skin, Jordan's witches looked more like goblins to me. Meg's witches had pretty makeup but how many times is she going to stick a bulging prosthetic on the forehead? The paint also looked similar to her male to female character from last week.

• Love 2

Stevie's looked like she just had a sunburn and some chapped lips. I didn't understand why she had a red line across her forehead though.

I thought that was supposed to indicate where the sunburn ended, because her safari hat had protected the upper part of her forehead. Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 3

I thought this was a fun challenge and I am surprised the contestants were able to keep up as well as they did. I actually like the monsters/aliens/angels type things; they are keeping with the sy-fi channel. I really have no interest in seeing the people putting on everyday makeup on the models. I could see that anywhere and there are a million YouTube videos that do that. Of course some of these people might need to do that to earn money, but they could also do other types of art work.

I don't have a specific favorite yet but I think they are a talented bunch. 

• Love 1

But wouldn't the lower part of her forehead be sunburned too?

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the areas around her eyes and the lower forehead would have been protected by sunglasses. She gave the whole thing more thought than I had originally realized.

I think it's OK for someone to be inspired to go into the field by a love of monster movies, but at some point you have to realize that monsters alone are not going to be sufficient for a career in the field.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the areas around her eyes and the lower forehead would have been protected by sunglasses. She gave the whole thing more thought than I had originally realized.

I think it's OK for someone to be inspired to go into the field by a love of monster movies, but at some point you have to realize that monsters alone are not going to be sufficient for a career in the field.

If I was a prospective contestant, and if I applied without having much knowledge of the show, I would certainly look at the show's website and see what is done each season. Watch a few episodes. I would apply knowing that there may be a beauty challenge and that it would be in my best interest to develop some skills in that area. Monsters will pay only some of the bills. It would take at least a few years to develop a good well-rounded portfolio. And a few more years after that to be able to start your own company and do what you want to do. Edited by Frozendiva