Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

A note about this game, mainly for Coach Ron Rivera.  Before I get to that:

Riverboat Ron has beaten two teams that have started 8-0 or better.  Not many have done that, if ever.  His team beat both Pennsylvania teams, both in the state of PA, both teams undefeated with 8 or more wins, and both were the last unbeatens.  Of course this one was more impressive.

The coach got emotional after a big win, as it was personal for him.  Something his mother would've loved to see.  What a nice scene.

• Love 2

I had a feeling Washington would/could beat Philly. When they played Vikings, they played better and harder than I figured. I thought they would be tired of always being the lovers. So I'm glad they won.

A lot of sports guys are saying the Vikings aren't that great because all the wins are close except for Packers. But I think all the close victories make them better. They can't take the wins for granted because they fought for each one. The Cowboys game will be tough.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

I had a feeling Washington would/could beat Philly.

I have a friend who is a Washington fan and I told her with division games anything can happen.  And anything did happen.

It's interesting to me this year we are hearing so much about teams being and not being as good or bad as their records show based on who they have won and lost to.  College football rankings are based on that very thing.  In the NFL it has always been a win is a win is a win.

My question to my fellow posters is who would you rank as your top 10?

5 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Kansas City, Minnesota, Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Miami, Dallas, Buffalo, New York, Tennessee

The Eagles losing is probably better in the long run than not losing (unless they ended up finishing 20-0).  They may have had the best record, but I don't think they were the best team.  Losing a real game means running the table is meaningless.

They do have to win as much as they can since they're tied with Minnesota (though win the tie breaker).  That's easier said than done given who's left.  However, losing a real game gives them the chance to address any issues.

The Vikings have turned things around.  Their only loss was on the road at night against a complete team.  Speaking of which, that's what the Niners are.

Baltimore may now have the MVP with Lamar, and then Kansas City still is there.  They got rid of their biggest threat, and really haven't missed a beat

Bluegirl147 is right about division games meaning more & being tougher than other stuff.  That's why I make a big deal about going 6-0 within the division.  There is the familiarity and you get more out of everyone more often than not.

Sure Kansas City is ahead of Minnesota.  For now.  I really don't rank based on records (similar to people like Cowherd and somewhat like the people responsible for rankings both in college & the pros).  It's a factor, but feel, body of work, the future outlook, certain people, and really the whole picture completes what I feel is a decent ranking

• Love 1

A loss was probably a good thing for Philly (even if I am irked about it).   Now they don't have the burden of trying for the "perfect' season.   It happened early enough that they can learn from it and recover.    

But DAMMIT, they could have still beaten the Commanders and lost to someone else.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Carey said:

It's a factor, but feel, body of work, the future outlook, certain people, and really the whole picture completes what I feel is a decent ranking

For me it's when a team wins or loses and how badly they lost or how big they won.  A team can get hot at the end of the season. Or a team can limp into the playoffs.  

I will use the Steelers to illustrate both.   2005 they needed to win there final four games and they did. Then they needed to win three playoff road games and they did.  And then they won the SB.  2020 they were 11-0 and then lost 4 of our last 5 games. And lost to Cleveland in the Wild Card.

This season has been enjoyable because I don't think there is a clear cut favorite to win either division.  If things continue the way they are will this be the first year without either SB participant going to the playoffs?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Carey said:

The Eagles losing is probably better in the long run than not losing (unless they ended up finishing 20-0).  They may have had the best record, but I don't think they were the best team.  Losing a real game means running the table is meaningless.

The Eagles simply lost last night because of their 4 turnovers. Otherwise, they were right there to get the win despite them having an off night. 

I don't see how the Eagles losing last night is considered a good loss for them. A loss is a loss, whether its week 1, week 10, or (even worse) the Playoffs & there is nothing good about that. Frankly, a good loss doesn't exist in the NFL & I don't understand why people are trying to put happy face on the Eagles finally losing their first game.

To be honest, I don't know who has the best team in the NFL Team at this moment. Personally, I find Power Rankings to be flat out meaningless & very irksome.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Giants won.  Cowboys and Eagles lost.  '72 Dolphins can pop that champagne cork.  Life is good 😃

Washington has been responsible for ending the unbeaten marks of a ton of teams, but so have a lot.  While this year is obvious that Philadelphia was the last to lose, some of those unbeatens lasted for about a couple hours due to when they played, the week where they played, and how many wins they had going into a certain week.

For example, San Francisco and New York both went 11-0 before falling in 1990.  In 2010, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, and Chicago, all eventual division winners, all went 3-0.  Pittsburgh feel first due to playing before Kansas City that week while Chicago was off in Week 4.

I believe the NFC East holds the mark of having the most teams that fell last as well as the most teams that were responsible for ending someone's unbeaten streak.  A couple more include Dallas knocking off NFL Champs in Washington in 1991, and then Washington returned the favor to eventual champs in Dallas 4 years later.

Nonetheless, that was a great game.  I did not think it would play out that way because Philadelphia is a great team and was hosting a team with less rest (albeit normal rest, just not a week & a half).  If I had to do it again, I'd still pick Philadelphia but maybe in a more competitive game (possibly enough for Washington to cover)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Carey said:

For example, San Francisco and New York both went 11-0 before falling in 1990

Actually, the 1990-1991 Giants went 10-0 before the Eagles handed them their first loss that year.  They then lost to the 49ers (whom they'd eventually beat in the championship game)  in that hard fought defensive MNF game the following week and their 3rd loss to the Bills (whom they beat in the SB) where Simms went down with a broken foot.  Enter Hostetler and "you can't win the Superbowl with a backup quarterback" bellyaching.

49ers, Eagles, Cowboys have always been sticks in the Giants' craw over the decades

• Useful 1

"Well, I stand corrected."  1990 was a very good season in the NFL, IMO.

Close enough, and I must've been thinking of Simms when thinking 11-0.  I do recall in the many, many years (at least 1.5 decades) later that the Giants had hit double digits without a loss and then Phil got hurt.  This was around the time of other unbeatens in the years that the GMEN were decent.  Of course it was just talk since New York had already lost before Simms fell and ended up on IR.

Of course, the Giants have built an ounce of history toward Green Bay & New England over the past decade and a half.

BTW, Super Bowl XXV is the "real best game ever played."  Not the other game featuring Buffalo this past Sunday, and not counting stuff pre-merger

3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Actually, the 1990-1991 Giants went 10-0 before the Eagles handed them their first loss that year.  They then lost to the 49ers (whom they'd eventually beat in the championship game)  in that hard fought defensive MNF game the following week and their 3rd loss to the Bills (whom they beat in the SB) where Simms went down with a broken foot.  Enter Hostetler and "you can't win the Superbowl with a backup quarterback" bellyaching.

49ers, Eagles, Cowboys have always been sticks in the Giants' craw over the decades

The 1990 Giants were the perfect example of that last statement.

The loss to the 49ers was 3-7. They ended up getting revenge for that loss 15-13 at San Francisco in the NFC Championship game.  The loss to Buffalo was 13-17, and they got revenge for that game with the 20-19 win in the Super Bowl.

The Eagles loss, was a not even close 13-31. At that time, through their 10-0 start, they were winning by an average of 25-11.  The Eagles are simply going to beat the Giants now and again in some sort of awful, unexplainable fashion.  I accept this.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

The 1990 Giants were the perfect example of that last statement.

The loss to the 49ers was 3-7. They ended up getting revenge for that loss 15-13 at San Francisco in the NFC Championship game.  The loss to Buffalo was 13-17, and they got revenge for that game with the 20-19 win in the Super Bowl.

The Eagles loss, was a not even close 13-31. At that time, through their 10-0 start, they were winning by an average of 25-11.  The Eagles are simply going to beat the Giants now and again in some sort of awful, unexplainable fashion.  I accept this.

That really gets overlooked imo how good that Giants team was.  

All people recall is the Norwood miss 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Lost in this game is how much a mastermind Belichick is.  A lot people disregard that fact, while disregarding the fact that Parcells is winless in the postseason without Belichick on his staff.  Super Bowl 25 is a top notch example of Bill winning without TB12.  "I'll let Thurman Thomas run on us.  Well be great if he does what he does."  Time of possession for the GMEN, and not letting Jim Kelly and company have a field day was nice.

It was a nice game overall.  A very tremendous National anthem and a decent game with no true turnovers.  Every-so-often I'd answer the best Super Bowl ever with the number 40, but definitively, 25 is my favorite and might be forever

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

Not by me.  I jumped up and down screaming when Matt Bahr hit that field goal.

A week later, it was my daughter's first birthday, and I was exhausted from having worked a 12 hour shift the night before.  The Norwood miss barely registered with me until the next day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BlueSkies said:

I heard Bob Papa say just recently that the 1989 Giants were probably the best team in the league, (12-4 with two losses to the Eagles. See?!), but they ran up against the Rams in the playoffs, who were a bad match up for them. I'm not going to say the name of the Rams player who screwed up the Giants that year, but if I did, all Giants fans would shiver.

And then in 1990 they came back and had a great defensive season allowing 13.2 points per game, and were just an incredibly efficient team. They were big underdogs in the playoffs against the two time defending champion 49ers and then the explosive Bills (partly due to the Simms injury), but as I pointed out above, they were every bit as good as both of those teams that year.

And hell yes, Belichick teamed up with Parcells made one heck of a combination.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I heard Bob Papa say just recently that the 1989 Giants were probably the best team in the league, (12-4 with two losses to the Eagles. See?!), but they ran up against the Rams in the playoffs, who were a bad match up for them. I'm not going to say the name of the Rams player who screwed up the Giants that year, but if I did, all Giants fans would shiver.

And then in 1990 they came back and had a great defensive season allowing 13.2 points per game, and were just an incredibly efficient team. They were big underdogs in the playoffs against the two time defending champion 49ers and then the explosive Bills (partly due to the Simms injury), but as I pointed out above, they were every bit as good as both of those teams that year.

And hell yes, Belichick teamed up with Parcells made one heck of a combination.

Belichick (and Brady) have been the biggest thorns in the side in Buffalo Bills history.  Although the team got a little revenge on Belichick in the playoffs last year.

When the Bills Super Bowl losses come up, the Giants one usually comes back as the game most winnable for them.  But the Bills and Giants both seemed pretty even overall to me imo that year.  As you mentioned the G-Men had a sick defense in 1990.  

I would say though I used to think the super Bowl 27 & 28 Cowboys were much better than the Bills but not necessarily.  The Bills chocked in those Super Bowls.... especially Super Bowl 28 imo.  Levy usually didnt coach very well in those Super Bowls either 

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Lost in this game is how much a mastermind Belichick is.  A lot people disregard that fact, while disregarding the fact that Parcells is winless in the postseason without Belichick on his staff.  Super Bowl 25 is a top notch example of Bill winning without TB12.  "I'll let Thurman Thomas run on us.  Well be great if he does what he does."  Time of possession for the GMEN, and not letting Jim Kelly and company have a field day was nice.

It was a nice game overall.  A very tremendous National anthem and a decent game with no true turnovers.  Every-so-often I'd answer the best Super Bowl ever with the number 40, but definitively, 25 is my favorite and might be forever

Agree Super Bowl 25 was the best Super Bowl 

On 11/15/2022 at 6:47 AM, Lamb18 said:

I was 7/7 on picks for week 10. Thought it would be like that. On to week 11!

Titans* vs Packers
Bears vs Falcons*
Browns
 vs Bills*
Eagles* vs Colts
Panthers vs Ravens*
Lions* vs Giants
Jets vs Patriots*
Commanders* vs Texans
Rams vs Saints*
Raiders*
 vs Broncos
Bengals* vs Steelers
Cowboys* vs Vikings
Chiefs* vs Chargers
49ers vs Cardinals

I thought I'd move the picks down here. More interleague play this week so I'll probably do better. (I pick all the AFC teams to win except if one is playing the Vikings.)

Edited by Lamb18
9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I'm not going to say the name of the Rams player who screwed up the Giants that year, but if I did, all Giants fans would shiver.

*Brrrrrrr*

My loathing for that man’s team carried over into St. Louis and back into LA.  Curse him!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, twoods said:

Jefferson is a beast. His ridiculous catch won the game for them. Congrats on having such a talented WR.

We are fortunate (and clever) to have gotten such a talented receiver after trading away Diggs. By the way, when Dalvin Cook ran his 80 yard touchdown, Jefferson helped block by grabbing the defensive guy by the shoulders and tossing him to the ground. I didn't realize how strong he is since he's not bulked up. Makes me respect him more because he's always playing to win, not just  when he's trying to catch the ball.

10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I hate Jim Burt to this day because of that hit.

The Giants nailed Montana twice in the playoffs.  Burt in 86, Leonard Marshall in 90.  That was pretty much the end of his 49ers days.

Edited by cambridgeguy

SportsCenter All Night this morning said that the fans were chanting “OBJ” on Sunday so they asked Jerry Jones about Odell going to Dallas.

??????

The fans?  Who were in Green Bay?  Who would NOT have been chanting OBJ so he could go to the fucking Cowboys?  Dumb, ESPN.

• LOL 5

I'm continuing my rewatch of the Vikings/Bills game. The announcer was talking about Vikings defense #22, saying "Harrison For-," then stops and says, "Harrison Smith". The other announcer teases him about it.

• LOL 1

I am calculating magic numbers:

Miami - 8 for AFC East

Baltimore - 8 for AFC North

Tennessee - 6 for AFC South

Kansas City - 7 for AFC West

Philadelphia - 8 for NFC East

Minnesota - 4 for NFC North

Tampa Bay - 7 for NFC South

Can't calculate a magic number for NFC West. If both Seattle and San Francisco won all their remaining games, they would each have a 13-4 record.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Can't calculate a magic number for NFC West. If both Seattle and San Francisco won all their remaining games, they would each have a 13-4 record.

Both teams can't win each of their remaining games as they still have another game against each other.

If San Francisco beats Seattle again, then if they matched with identical records like 12-5, then SF would have the head-to-head tie-breaker.  If they both finish 12-5 and Seattle wins, it'll depend on who SF lost to.  It's too early to tell, but if the Niners lose in Mexico, then the Seahawks would get it with a better divisional record.

While too soon, we'd have to compare who each beat & forecast that since that holds more weight than one's conference record

When the AM on the clock turns into PM, Thursday Night Football will be underway.  BTW, it's the final TNF in the month of November

Green Bay is favored by 3 over Tennessee.  I'll take the Titans to win out right.  Maybe the Packers are going to make a run, but tonight's game, which is at Lambeau, follows one 4 days earlier.  Tennessee is a team that makes no excuses for their not so great situation.

The Over/Under is 41.  You know what, it's a push for me.  Feels like a 24-17 game to start Week 11

4 hours ago, Carey said:

BTW, it's the final TNF in the month of November

I had a moment of panic recently, thinking I wouldn't be able to see the evening game on Thanksgiving this year, since I won't have access to Prime then, before remembering that's an NBC game.  (Not that I particularly care about Patriots vs. Vikings other than hoping the Patriots lose on general principle, but I can't eat Thanksgiving dinner without football!)

• Love 2

Here are my picks for Week 11

Packers over Titans.  
Falcons over Bears.  
Bills over Browns.  
Eagles over Colts.  
Patriots over Jets.  
Rams over Saints.  
Giants over Lions.   
Ravens over Panthers.  
Commanders over Texans.  
Broncos over Raiders.   
Bengals over Steelers.  
Vikings over Cowboys.  
Chiefs over Chargers.  
49ers over Cardinals 

• Love 1

As an upstate New Yorker, I have been through 4 foot plus snowfalls and I can tell you that it is no joke. It can take days before the streets get plowed.

I wish the people of Buffalo the best, and it was a good decision by the NFL.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

As an upstate New Yorker, I have been through 4 foot plus snowfalls and I can tell you that it is no joke. It can take days before the streets get plowed.

I wish the people of Buffalo the best, and it was a good decision by the NFL.

Billy Beane or Sean Beane or whateverthehell the GM’s name is said he hoped some Bills fans will travel to Detroit.  Um, sir?  There are travel advisories in the very city you live in.  Yes the storm is heading east, but it takes time to clean up, my man.

• Love 5

Titans/Packers game is entertaining, Titans up 7-6 after the 1st quarter. I think the Packers may be starting to turn things around and that’s why I picked them, I think they will build on last week’s momentum.