Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Super Bowl Useless Trivia Game:

True or False - No player named SB MVP played for the team that lost.

True or False - There has never been a punt returned for a touchdown in a Super Bowl.

True or False - All of the 10 original AFL teams have played in a SB.

True or False - There has never been a SB where 1 of the teams failed to score a touchdown.

True or False - The first SB to be officially called the Super Bowl was SB III

Winner gets an all expense paid trip to the couch to watch the game.   :)

1. I believe that's actually false, but I can't remember who it was.

2. True

3. The Oilers didn't until they became the Titans.  Even the Bengals made it once, as Esiason won't let us forget.

4. False

5. False; I think it was actually SB IV.

About the only reason to even watch the Combine is to see Rich Eisen run the 40. That was fun to watch. Otherwise, I'm basically on an NFL hiatus till Labor Day. Having to hear about ESPN telling us their NFL Power Rankings or their QB Power rankings in May & making it newsworthy is not interesting to me. Its bad enough that they do that on First Take pretty much every day. 

I find much more value in the Combine than just seeing how fast Rich Eisen will run, though it'll be interesting to see whether he can go under six seconds again. As someone who appreciates the physical and mental talent and dedication needed to succeed, I think it's great to see the game broken down into its component parts. If your Labour Day is the beginning of May, it seems odd to me that an NFL fan wouldn't want to watch the Draft. Most exciting time of the year for the 31 teams that didn't win the Super Bowl.

The Seahawks will remain mostly intact for the next year or two, I think. But by the time that Wilson's impending contract hits the cap in a big way, they'll have to start letting go of some of the pieces of their defense. And this team only goes as far as Marshawn Lynch carries them anyway, so as soon as his legs start to go, they'll probably fall right back into the pack.

Edited by Danny Franks

Their Offensive Coordinator may be up for grabs.

Yes, but if the TD pass had worked, then it would have been labeled a "gutsy call," much like the TD pass at the end of the 1st half.

Why is it that some QBs change the play at the line of scrimmage, and others do not? The Seahawks lined up in pass formation, and the NE defensive players said they responded by lining up in goal-line pass protection. So why couldn't Russell Wilson, upon seeing that defense, audible to Marshawn to stay in the backfield? Or, given the empty backfield, why couldn't have tried to run in the touchdown himself? Despite being labeled a running quarterback, Wilson is good at reading defenses, and he usually makes great adjustments based on the defense he sees.

I feel bad for the Seahawks players and coaches, but after years of literally crying when the Clyde Drexler-led Trail Blazers failed to win the NBA championship, I forced myself to stop becoming so emotionally invested in sports teams.

On another note, the commercials were not good this year. Only a few made any attempt at humor. Most of them tried to tug at our heart strings, which isn't a bad thing by itself, but not while I'm watching the Super Bowl. Seriously, I'm supposed to be saddened/inspired/brought close to tears by car commercials and beer commercials? Microsoft commercials? I think I laughed the hardest at the trailer for "Ted 2" and Tom Brady's glowing bed sheets.

Why is it that some QBs change the play at the line of scrimmage, and others do not? The Seahawks lined up in pass formation, and the NE defensive players said they responded by lining up in goal-line pass protection. So why couldn't Russell Wilson, upon seeing that defense, audible to Marshawn to stay in the backfield? Or, given the empty backfield, why couldn't have tried to run in the touchdown himself? Despite being labeled a running quarterback, Wilson is good at reading defenses, and he usually makes great adjustments based on the defense he sees.

I think it depends on the QB and the offensive coordinator. Some guys (like Cam Cameron, ex-Ravens OC) don't trust their QBs to make reads and call audibles, but will give them options within a strict framework, some guys might not even give their QB that much leeway, if they don't trust their 'football intelligence' or whatever. And some QBs have a lot more scope to change plays on the field. I recall an occasion during the Ravens' Super Bowl run, where John Harbaugh was mic'ed up on the sidelines, and started panicking when Joe Flacco checked out of a run play on 3rd and 1 to pass. Then went, 'oh, good call, Joe' when the pass was completed.

Not many QBs have the authority to essentially call their own plays like Manning often does. I don't know what freedom Russell Wilson has outside of the read option, but it's entirely possible he wanted to throw the ball to score the game-winning TD. I guess God just made him throw that INT to make his eventual triumph all the greater... oh... never mind.

Edited by Danny Franks

SNOWPRINCE, ON 01 FEB 2015 - 10:52 AM, SAID:

Super Bowl Useless Trivia Game:

True or False - No player named SB MVP played for the team that lost.

True or False - There has never been a punt returned for a touchdown in a Super Bowl.

True or False - All of the 10 original AFL teams have played in a SB.

True or False - There has never been a SB where 1 of the teams failed to score a touchdown.

True or False - The first SB to be officially called the Super Bowl was SB III

Winner gets an all expense paid trip to the couch to watch the game.   :)

2. True

3. The Oilers didn't until they became the Titans.  Even the Bengals made it once, as Esiason won't let us forget.

4. False

Well done, Mark. 4 for 5.

1 - False. Dallas Cowboys linebacker Chuck Howley was named MVP of SB V. The Baltimore Colts won the game 16-13.

2 - True. A punt is the last remaining return type not to have scored a touchdown.

3 - Since they were the Titans in their only  SB appearance, technically the answer is false. The Houston/Tennessee Oilers never made it.

4 - False. The first team to fail to score a touchdown in the SB was the Miami Dolphins, who lost SB VI 24-3 to the Dallas Cowboys. Others followed in later games.

5 - This is actually True. The first 2 games were officially called the "NFL-AFL World Championship Game". SB III (1969) was the first to be officially called the Super Bowl by the NFL and the first to be designated by using Roman numerals. The first 2 games were renamed retroactively.

Thanks for playing. I hope you enjoyed both games on the prize couch. 

• Love 3

There is one theory that they called a pass play rather than giving it to Lynch because he is a free agent now.   If he won the Super Bowl for them, it would have meant either paying him bigger bucks than they want to at this time OR cutting the guy who won the SB for them.    WIlson is the golden boy on that team, they want the win to be on him.   Unfortunately they forgot that when you throw the ball 3 things can happen - and 2 of them are bad.

There is one theory that they called a pass play rather than giving it to Lynch because he is a free agent now.   If he won the Super Bowl for them, it would have meant either paying him bigger bucks than they want to at this time OR cutting the guy who won the SB for them.    WIlson is the golden boy on that team, they want the win to be on him.   Unfortunately they forgot that when you throw the ball 3 things can happen - and 2 of them are bad.

They should have given him a QB Sneak then. Even midget Russell Wilson should have been able to pick up that yard behind a strong O-line push. And if not that, a fake handoff to Lynch while Wilson scrambles around the outside. Anything but some dumbass slant to a player who was already covered. If they were thinking about contracts in that moment, then they deserved to lose.

• Love 6

The conspiracy theory doesn't work for me, because I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to risk a Super Bowl victory just to take one final play away from a guy who has a laundry list of other carries to use as bargaining chips in contract negotiations.  But I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to risk a Super Bowl victory by calling a pass play when there are ample time and downs to run the ball in, so any reason is illogical to me.

I'm standing there (because, yes, I watched that final Seahawks drive standing up) telling them not to score too quickly, and then before I can even finish yelling, "Why are you passing?!" the ball is picked off.  I'm sure I looked like Sherman.  And then there was a lot of sputtering and cussing and probably some really embarrassing screeching.

I just ... WHY?!  If they'd failed to run it in over the course of downs and lost on 4th and inches, I'd still be incredibly bummed out -- the Seahawks lost, the Patriots won, and to lose after coming so close in a great game is painful.  But to lose because of an unfathomably bad call when odds were strongly in their favor that had they followed the basic "rules" of the game, they'd have walked away back to back champions ... I'm not getting over this one for a long time.  (And had it been my G-Men, I'd never get over it.)

Going for the TD at the end of the half and risking time running out rather than taking the safe FG made all the sense in the world to me.  I'd expect it out of most teams, and certainly one helmed by Pete Carroll.  It's a risk, but a calculated one.  This, on the other hand, was just dumb.  There's NO upside.  Even if you score, you've left more time on the clock than you want.  You want to be sure the game is put away, so you take the time to run it in.  Your odds are better that way -- you're quite likely to get it in given the time, downs, distance and momentum, and you're far less likely to turn it over. Someone last night said they'd have fired the offensive coordinator on the spot.  I wanted to summarily execute him, so firing sounds fair.

What a horrible ending to one of my least-favorite football seasons in memory.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

That's a conspiracy theory that's easy to deflate. Lynch is unhappy with his current contract and has threatened a holdout. But he is not a free agent. He's under contract through next season. 

The Seahawks are apparently going to offer him an extension sometime soon. I've seen it described as ownership wanting to make him a Seahawk for life as if it is some kind of magnanimous gesture on their part when in reality it's probably structured that way to offer the most cap flexibility for the team in the future. He's only guaranteed what he gets in that bonus.

Carroll has made horrible play calls before- in the championship game against Texas on 4th down with the game on the line, their best player (Bush) was on the sidelines. Who knows what goes through his head. The Seahawks probably ran out of good karma after using it up against the Packers, and then that Kearse catch. Lynch or Wilson would have probably fumbled it if they ran.

I think Belichick had a deal with the devil- he didn't even take a TO with a minute left to keep some time on the clock incase Seattle scored. It's like he knew his D would make a play.

Well, one nice thing about the (to me) horrible game yesterday.  Chris Pratt, who played Star Lord in "Guardians of the Galaxy" had a bet going with Chris Evans, of "Captain America" fame that the loser would go visit the Children's Hospitals in the winner's city, in character.  When Chris Pratt contacted Chris Evans to congratulate him and let him know he was ready to come to Boston, Mr. Evans told him that he would come to Seattle, too, to visit our critically ill children. 

There are going to be some very happy kids in BOTH cities, which is the way it should be. Thanks, superheroes!

http://www.mtv.com/news/2066089/chris-pratt-chris-evans-super-bowl-bet/

• Love 7

Why are sports guys not smart? First, Greg Anthony is suspended by CBS for soliciting a hooker, now Warren Sapp is suspended by the NFL Network for doing the same thing.

I would think they should be able to get tail without having to pay for it, but maybe I overestimate their celebrity since I'm a sports nut.

Why are sports guys not smart? First, Greg Anthony is suspended by CBS for soliciting a hooker, now Warren Sapp is suspended by the NFL Network for doing the same thing.

I would think they should be able to get tail without having to pay for it,

It's that old saying, you're not paying hookers for sex, you're paying them to leave.

It's that old saying, you're not paying hookers for sex, you're paying them to leave.

Really? Warren Sapp couldn't meet a woman, hook up with her in a hotel room, then leave? Or ask her to leave? What's wrong with people?

If you MUST hire a hooker, you don't go looking for one on your own.   Surely, confidential arrangements can be made in advance.   Heavens, Phoenix is not that far from the Nevada border.   Just hop over the border where it;s legal.    

• Love 1

If you MUST hire a hooker, you don't go looking for one on your own.   Surely, confidential arrangements can be made in advance.   Heavens, Phoenix is not that far from the Nevada border.   Just hop over the border where it;s legal.    

I'm no expert on these matters, but I do believe it's actually possible to use the internet to arrange for the services of a companion for the evening. But then, Sapp probably isn't good at that technology stuff.

Anyway, that makes him the second 'expert' to leave the NFL Network under a cloud, after Darren Sharper last year. Is it too much to ask that Heath Evans is revealed to have been stealing ladies' underwear off washing lines or something? Complete the trio? Honestly, of all the erudite, intelligent, articulate ex-players they could hire, they constantly go for buffoonish 'personalities' like these guys.

• Love 3

I'm no expert on these matters, but I do believe it's actually possible to use the internet to arrange for the services of a companion for the evening.

Actually the other guy who got caught soliciting a prostitute while covering a Maryland Basketball game used the internet.   Unfortunately, it was a police sting.    Be careful what sites you use.   Only use reputable sites.

2. True

4. False

Bengals have actually made it twice.  They lost twice to Montana/Walsh and the 49ers back in the 1980s, 1982 and 1989 I believe. 

The second one was the one everyone remembers because it had Montana's famous "John Candy" drive for the TD to win.  And the famous play of Tim Krumrie snapping his leg in half, plus it had Ickey Woods, now known (and loved by my some) for his great Geico commercials

The first one if often forgotten but the was game after "The Catch" when the 49ers beat the Cowboys for the NFC title, their first SB.  That was the Ken Anderson Bengals.  Which actually is signficant because Walsh was the QBs coach for the Bengals and Ken Anderson in the 1970s prior to going to Stanford and then over to the 49ers. 

If he claims to not have read a book since 9th grade, I don't think much of him at all. Whether he's pretending because his meathead, douchebro image might suffer if people thought he could read, or he's actually telling the truth, it's such a dispiriting thing to accept. But then, I find it hard to accept that anyone doesn't read books. Is he really as much of a simpleton as he appears to be?

Actually the other guy who got caught soliciting a prostitute while covering a Maryland Basketball game used the internet.   Unfortunately, it was a police sting.    Be careful what sites you use.   Only use reputable sites.

This makes me laugh :-)

• Love 1

And I'm right back to remembering why I dislike the Patriots so much. So much class, in that organisation. Cheat to win and gloat when you do. It's the Patriot Way.

Word. To be fair, I don't think they cheated in the Super Bowl. But every game till that point is suspect.

And on the "I'm going to Disney" celebration commercial, there's a shot of Russell Wilson throwing the goal-line pass that got intercepted. Does that usually happen? It wasn't like the Patriot who caught the ball was named MVP, which would mean they needed that highlight for the commercial. Maybe something like that has happened before, but I never noticed. It seemed like a pretty douchy thing for Disney to show on a commercial.

Word. To be fair, I don't think they cheated in the Super Bowl. But every game till that point is suspect.

And on the "I'm going to Disney" celebration commercial, there's a shot of Russell Wilson throwing the goal-line pass that got intercepted. Does that usually happen? It wasn't like the Patriot who caught the ball was named MVP, which would mean they needed that highlight for the commercial. Maybe something like that has happened before, but I never noticed. It seemed like a pretty douchy thing for Disney to show on a commercial.

That's because the player who intercepted the pass is one of the players in the ad, who went to Disneyland.

That's because the player who intercepted the pass is one of the players in the ad, who went to Disneyland.

Oh, I didn't know that. Was that his only highlight? It still seems kinda mean--but I might see it that way because I was rooting for the Seahawks.

When the Saints won the Super Bowl, was there footage of Tracey Porter's last-minute interception of Peyton Manning? Or last year, did the commercial show Malcolm Smith's pick 6? It's very possible, but once again, I didn't notice since I'd been rooting for the team that won.

Considering the shirt in question that Blount was holding up was thrown to him from a fan, I think it's funny. In the moment, I totally get why they had fun with it.  

And sorry... but the Seahawks don't get to call anyone else "classy with a k" after things like grabbing your crotch after TDs, simulating having a bowel movement on the football after a TD, taking every opportunity to insult/demean other players as a means of propping yourself up (*cough*Sherman*cough*), and instigating a fight at the end of the game. 

People in glass houses after all... 

Edited by loriro
  • Love 3

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25061316/report-ndamukong-suh-wants-to-sign-with-seahawks

Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Free-agent defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with the Seahawks, according to Bleacher Report.

The Seahawks are Suh's number-one choice, per the report. However, it may be difficult for the Seahawks to fit Suh in the budget, considering that quarterback Russell Wilson will soon be offered a huge contract extension. Marshawn Lynch, Bobby Wagner and Russell Okung are among the other prominent Seahawks who are scheduled to reach unrestricted free agency after the 2015 season. Suh, who recorded 8 1/2 sacks and 53 tackles in 2014, is poised to land a big free-agent deal this offseason.

I think his agent needs to explain the concept of the salary cap to him.

If he wants to go there so much, he can accept league minimum and fit right into their cap space. As it is, he'll be a Raider or a Redskin or something similarly depressing.

Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Ugh, please no; I can't stand him.  (Yes, as with just about any team, there are players on the Seahawks roster who have done things I dislike, but there's no one for whom I have general disgust.)

Considering the shirt in question that Blount was holding up was thrown to him from a fan, I think it's funny. In the moment, I totally get why they had fun with it

Not too surprised if it's from a Pats fan. Classless team, classless fans. What a shitty NFL year. Thank goodness I ignore all sport stations and late nigt because this Gronk overload is ridiculous. He's as much as a d bag as I thought he would be.

Another reason to not look forward to the Bills this season. First hiring Rex Ryan, then a bully. What's next- they go after Ray Rice?

Edited by twoods