Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I agree with the author.

This news shouldn't surprise you, because the NFL has a clear strategy for Los Angeles. The league lets the market stay open (no team has been there since 1994), does nothing to discourage numerous reports which say that this is the year a team is coming to L.A. (there were reports this year that two teams might even come, which the NFL must have enjoyed tremendously) and then the NFL can use that negotiating power to get cities to publicly finance new stadiums.

It's no coincidence that ownership in the three teams most rumored to be moving, San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis, all hate their current stadium situation.

Philly, I am disappoint.

Here's how much the NFL has a hold on me - first I paid cash money for a NY Jets ornament (it's for my hubby, to accompany the twelveish NY Giants that are already on the tree). Second, I actively loathe Phillip Rivers, Colin Kaepernick, Jim Harbaugh and the Niners in general because I still haven't forgotten a 24 point comeback yet here I sit, ready to watch this wretched game from beginning to end.

Looks like San Diego is in their annual December choke mode. And they don't even have Norv Turner to blame any more. 

Looks like I spoke too soon. 

Damn, that is an ugly loss for the Niners.

1. Yeay, DeSean!!!

2. The 49ers game ended halfway through SNL on the east Coast. I went from full-watching to half-watching the game after realizing it was going to be a blowout...then it would never end. But it did. And I wish I was full-watching the whole time.

Speaking as a Chargers fan, they exhaust me.  Almost every game, win or lose, is like that one.

I guess for a team that is either on its fourth or fifth Center (I've lost count), they've done better than they probably should have.

Bodies were dropping like flies during the Chargers 49ers game. I thought for sure by games end each team would go through their 53 man roster and have to recruit people from the stands to finish out the fourth quarter. Actually I was looking forward to seeing who would suit up first: coaching staff, GMs, mascots, or everyday citizens. 

• Love 1

Bodies were dropping like flies during the Chargers 49ers game.

That's pretty much been true for the Chargers all season. This game wasn't that unique.

Rivers is the man. Just imagine what he could do with a solid line. 

Edited by vb68

2. The 49ers game ended halfway through SNL on the east Coast. I went from full-watching to half-watching the game after realizing it was going to be a blowout...then it would never end. But it did. And I wish I was full-watching the whole time.

I did the same thing, except I was watching a film that went off a little after midnight. I turned over to CBS to see how badly the Chargers lost from the post-game show and saw they had tied it and there were 30-something seconds to go in regulation.

The Leah Stills update on Countdown was so well done. Yeah, I was bawling. What the Cincinnati organization did for him was so wonderful and special that I hope when she has her scans in January it is nothing but good news. And then all that money raised keeps bringing good news to all the children who need help. Fuck cancer.

• Love 1

Looks like Romo is on a mission today. I don't like the Cowboys but I can't help rooting for him to get rid of his demons. Through all the crap the fans have put him through, Romo seems like a nice guy so I hope his success continues in the playoffs.

• Love 2

Looks like Romo is on a mission today. I don't like the Cowboys but I can't help rooting for him to get rid of his demons. Through all the crap the fans have put him through, Romo seems like a nice guy so I hope his success continues in the playoffs.

I agree that Tony does seem like a nice guy. Tony and the Cowboys seemed to have really turned things around this season. They have improved a great deal and have been working really hard this season. They definitely dominated all throughout the game vs Indy today. I am interested in seeing what type of playoff run they may have and what success they might achieve in the postseason.

• Love 1

I am speechless right now.   Just totally shocked.   I really expected (prayed for) 1-15.   I will not give Jerry Jones any credit.   I think it's his son Stephen who is reigning in some of Jerry's wilder tendencies.   After all he had to rip the card with Johnny Manziel's name on it out the old man's hand.   

Apparently the secret is to totally not believe in them.

• Love 2

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/raiders-player-donates-game-check-to-four-year-old-heart-patient-193501985.html

Raiders player donates game check to 4-year-old heart patient

You know, there are people involved in the NFL who use their vast powers and resources for good. Here's one of those stories. Fox Sports' Jay Glazer connected the Oakland Raiders with the family of 4-year-old Ava Urerra of Las Vegas. Ava has a heart condition that Glazer says is like having "half a heart." The result was magnificent.

The Raiders offered young Ava, who has undergone 14 different procedures on her heart, the opportunity to "captain" the team, and gave her signed gear and toys throughout a visit with the team. Offensive lineman Menelik Watson, so touched by Ava's condition, donated his entire game check, $18,000, to help with the expenses of Ava's family.

"Sir, I would like to make sure Ava has the greatest holiday," Watson told Ava's father, according to Glazer. "Here is my game check."

It's not a small gesture, particularly from a second-year player who's in a profession whose careers can be measured in just a handful of years. NFL players are paid in 17 installments over the course of the year, not 52, so Watson just donated almost 6 percent of his entire salary. Great gestures all the way around.

Redskins win indicates a future for Gruden-Griffin

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-win-indicates-future-gruden-griffin-215107299--nfl.html

Although Win and In is preferred for the Week 17 final game of the entire season on SNF, the League realized that a fight over the NFC South was not going to be a huge ratings draw.   Instead it is Bengals-Steelers.   Bengals could be win and in.   Steelers already clinched a spot today.   

Honestly, a winning record should mean more than beating 3 other sucky teams in your division.

I honestly thought that game was going to be closer than it was. Bruce Arians is a terrific coach and has done big things with the Cardinals this year. But the Cardinals defense could't hold the Seahawks enough to where Lindley even had a shot and then Lindley compounded the problem by looking every inch the backup quarterback. His passes were wild and uncontrolled. His receivers couldn't make up for that.

And I loved Lynch's run. Beautiful field sense in knowing exactly how to cut in and out to avoid going out of bounds. I'm a happy camper tonight.

• Love 1

I usually DVR the late afternoon game because I can't sit through 11 hours straight football games... and it's easy to avoid NFL spoilers where i live.

I was really looking forward to Colts-Cowboys.

So when I watched the game about 5 hours after it began, and it quickly became 21-0, I was able to fast-forward to make sure it was a blowout.

Thank god I did that intead of watching that harrible game in real time.

(contented sigh)  My Seahawks just decimated Arizona on their own home field.  (To be fair, it must absolutely suck to have your first two QBs injured at this point in the season, and I have to give AZ huge amounts of credit for staying in and fighting the whole game). 

But, omigod...  Marshawn Lynch.  Epic run.  I didn't think anything could surpass the original Beast Mode run, but was I ever wrong.  Breaking tackles, stiff-arming the defense, while staying in bounds, and hanging on to the ball, for the longest run in his already storied career.  Russell Wilson making that INSANE touchdown, when he literally had nowhere to go.  Luke Willson having a breakout night.  Wow.  Just wow.  I hope Hauschka is okay, but, honestly, if he had to pick an evening to have an off night, I'm glad tonight was it.  Sherman just needs two more interceptions in the next game to hold the single-season record.  Wow.

All is right in my world.  :)

Edited by SophiaD

I don't hate Tony Romo, but for some reason, he really rubs me the wrong way. I don't want him or the Cowboys reaching the Super Bowl this season or ever. I can't put up with Jerry Jones, Skip Bayless, & the frontrunners on ESPN gushing over this team for 2 wks during Super Bowl hype. In fact, a Patriots - Cowboys Super Bowl or a Broncos - Cowboys Super Bowl will be absolute torture. I hope that the Seahawks or Packers will make sure it doesn't happen.

It has been very refreshing that we haven't heard from Johnny Manziel on Social Media for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully, it will continue. I wonder what kind of an excuse Skip Bayless will make for him this week.

Sadly as a colts fan I was not shocked by that cowboys game. Colts have played awful the last month and just got lucky to be playing mediocre to bad teams. They havent beat a team all year with a good QB ((and no I don't consider Flacco and Dalton good QBs.......just reference any big game for dalton or Flacco yesterday) Bad OL play, no pass rush, no running game, stupid penalties, drops, its what the Colts have been lately. They won a bad dvision and right now have little chance of a playoff run. They have been asking for a beating like that for weeks and Cowboys rightfully finally gave it to them, they deserved every minute of that beating.

On the other hand, I was really hoping buffalo would make the playoffs......but you beat GB one week and lose to Oakland the next? Horrible.

• Love 1

I don't understand the Niners stating they are going to fire Harbaugh 24-48 hours after the season. First, that is a pretty specific timeframe. And second, if you know you are going to do it, just do it. Put everyone out of their misery.

You're right, doesn't make sense, but its convention I think more than anything.

Have known for half a season or more this was Rex Ryan's last season in NY, but have let him finish it out.

John Fox basically knew his entire last season in Carolina he was gone.

Also I get the feeling if Manning and the Broncos win a SB this year, he may retire. I think the age is certainly showing on him and his body may overcome his love of the game. When he went to Denver I thought he had 4 years left. He has played 3. Will be interesting to see how he looks tonight. Its not so bad they have shifted more toward the running game and less passing the last several weeks, but I do get the impression he is nearing the end. He never was the most athlete, most mobile, or had the strongest arm. Thus far he has found ways to make up for it. Not sure how much longer he can do that though

Edited by DrSpaceman

It doesn't look like the Broncos will win a SB at the way Manning has been playing lately. 4 INTs? Yikes. Probably will be Pats/Seahawks. Excuse me while I scream in a pillow at the thought of two teams I can't stand playing for a SB. Poor Arizona looked fantastic early but then hit the dreaded injury bug, and I don't know if anyone could stop how well the Seahawks have been playing. Carroll really is a genius.

Romo seems like a nice guy

I'll never forgive him for publicly fat shaming Jessica SImpson after they broke up.  I know that was a looooong time ago, but it showed him to be a classless jerk.

A Pats/Seahawks SB is about my worst nightmare.

The one thing that tells me it WON'T be Pats Seahawks is the fact that all the experts are picking them to be in it.

Its rarely the two favorites in the SB.

I know everyone will say it was because it was Rex's last home game and the team was playing hard for him, but the Pats squeeked by a terrible Jets team thanks to a missed FG.

That was a typical Brady game and example of why he gets way too much credit for their "wins". His team is outgained both in rushing and passing, he throws 35 times for 182 yards, only scores 17 points , lose time of possession and the team still wins. Isn't Brady great!! Sure, Geno Smith outplayed him, but he is great

Outside the Colts, sadly, I think all the top teams in the AFC (Denver, NE, Cincy, Pitt) are pretty close and any of them can beat any of the others.

Even the year NE was 16-0, they easily could have lost to SD in the AFC title. Brady played poorly, at home, and SD just gave the game away. Its far from any guarantee they will be in the SB

A Pats/Seahawks SB is about my worst nightmare.

Tom Brady.  Richard Sherman.  And throw in Katy Perry as the half time entertainment.  Put that all together and I'm watching Lifetime movies instead of the SB.  *sigh*

• Love 2

If the Seahawks can stomp all over the Pats just like they did to the Broncos I am SO THERE.

A Pats/Cowboys SB is the WORST possible outcome and that's when I throw out the TV.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

I think the Pro Bowl selections were good overall. There were some picks based on popularity more than performance (LeSean McCoy, DeMarcus Ware, Calvin Johnson) and some notable snubs (Russell Wilson, Emmanuel Sanders) 

Josh Gordon suspended 1 game for violating team rules.   Guy was supposed to be suspended the whole season for being a moron.   He caught a break and this is how he treates his good fortune?   He plans to appeal.   Bet it gets upheld based on the "stupidity" clause.

Dec 24 2014. 9:11 am

If they win on Sunday I could definitely get behind the Panthers in the Super Bowl. The talking heads would be apoplectic and it would be delicious.

I thought that Cam looked good last week, and I am glad that he played well in spite the injury he suffered due to his accident. I am glad that he seems to be okay. I hope that Carolina wins against Atlanta tomorrow. I wonder how far they may end up in the playoffs, it seems like things are starting to click together a bit more for them now later in the season.

Josh Gordon suspended 1 game for violating team rules.   Guy was supposed to be suspended the whole season for being a moron.   He caught a break and this is how he treates his good fortune?   He plans to appeal.   Bet it gets upheld based on the "stupidity" clause.

The Josh Gordon suspension is definitely not what the Cleveland organizations/fans needed to happen, especially right now. Many Fans are already unhappy about how the season has went downhill, after starting out promising.  This just makes things worse. I think that this just adds to the doubts surrounding the organization and some of its young players (like Johnny Manziel, and Justin Gilbert), and their abilities/maturity levels. This suspension along with several other things happening to Cleveland recently is definitely not a good way to end the season.

Also, I wonder what will happen when Connor Shaw starts tomorrow as QB for the Browns. I really don’t know what’s going to happen with him against the Ravens. He’s been on the practice squad all year long, and he was undrafted. I believe that it was also reported that he had one of the weaker arms at the Combine. Granted, I thought that he looked decent in the preseason,but that was against second and third stringers. Maybe he will end up playing decently,  or even well. Coach Pettine says he’s a good worker, maybe he will make the best of this opportunity and play well. 

I admit it won’t take much for Connor to look better than Johnny did in his first two starts (even though I still have hope for Johnny).  He might end up looking better than Brian Hoyer has lately too. I really don't know how he will play.  I wish Connor the best. He is now the 22nd quarterback starting for the Browns since 1999.

Edited by Jx223

The Browns season started going downhill at the same time Josh Gordon came back from suspension.   Coincidence?   I think not.   They were trying to force the ball to a guy who had NOT had all season to build up a rapport with the QB.   Then blamed the QB.   They should have slowly worked him into the game plan.   Of course, that wouldn't have fixed stupid with him.

Manziel, Gordon et al missed walkthrough/treatment because Manziel decided to throw a party the night before?!?!

I feel bad for Mike Pettine. He needs to start working on his resume as soon as the season ends because he's got too many knuckleheads on that team to survive much longer.

• Love 1

Manziel, Gordon et al missed walkthrough/treatment because Manziel decided to throw a party the night before?!?!

Since I embrace the shadenfreuden and love to see arrogant entitled people fail specularily...

Apparently Manziel and Josh Gordon didn't bother to show up to a game walk through on Saturday - this weeks first issue. You may not be playing for a playoff spot, or may not be able to play due to injury, but one can learn something during that time.

Then Manziel threw a party, of which Josh Gordon was there, and didn't bother to show up for treatment for his hamstring. The Browns sent their security (!!) to his house, and found him asleep, due to the previous nights party. Problem number two. If that hamstring doesn't heal properly, then that could hobble him, be a weakness for the rest of his (let's face it, now short) career.

Reading comments on this jacka$$, he is known for partying too much in college and not bothering to work on his craft. What an idiot. There are rookies, young players who may not be the best right now, but play their butts off, practice, work hard, learn and try to get better. Then you have this entitled idiot who thinks himself worthy of the big bucks, but won't do a thing to improve.

The Browns need to cut him loose or send him to a farm team and cut their losses. Let some other young eager QB get some experience. Then watch Manziel burn through his $6+ million in no time.

Like I said, I cannot stand entitlement and want to see this fool fail. What a shame, when someone else more worthy could have been given the chance.

• Love 5

Damn Browns, thanks for getting my hopes up for NOTHING.

This flex arrangement is interesting, it's all NFC on FOX and CBS. Jim and Phil even got shipped to Atlanta. Which I am not watching, I'm interested to see what Detroit can pull off.

Whoever ends up as Dallas's opponent in their first playoff game, I am rooting for them. I just cannot handle all the slurping the media is doing and is going to do with Romo and Murray.

Big Blue is done for the year (and thanks for that late INT, Eli) but damn I am excited to see what OBJ can do in a whole healthy year. And Jerry, you need to get JPP locked up. They need some stability, not more turnover.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

I guess the Chargers just had too many injuries.  Sigh.

Though I do think the momentum could have shifted if the refs had called that very obvious pass inference in the end zone after they took back the touchdown.

Holy moly, someone needs to tell the Ravens that the game is 4 whole quarters, not just 1 late quarter.  I may just keel over if this is their game plan going forward.

Play Like a Raven! And if you're on offense that means, 'take it easy for at least the first half, probably most of the third quarter as well. The defense is good enough to keep us in it'.

This team drives me crazy sometimes, but it's an incredible achievement, to make the playoffs despite having put eighteen players on IR this year. Asa Jackson was actually put on IR twice! There's no way they make it to the Super Bowl, and I think they'll be lucky to even get past the divisional round, but at least this serves notice that the Ravens intend to remain a winning franchise, and that missing the playoffs last year was an aberration, rather than the start of a decline.

The AFC North has been more competitive than ever this year too. Except for the Factory of Sadness, which remembered its place after being unusually competent. Good one, Johnny Football! Throw a party two days before the last game of the season, invite your teammates, miss practice. You joke of a spoiled brat. Cleveland, cut this Football Bieber and try to actually find yourselves a QB who doesn't wear clownshoes. You should probably think about drafting a WR in the first round next year too, so you don't have to rely on Josh Gordon to not be a moron.

When Dallas lose in the playoffs, it will be hilarious. Part of me almost wants to see them make it to the Super Bowl and then get beaten on a last second play, because it would be sooo funny. But most of me just wants to see them go one and done next week, with Tony Romo throwing a pick six on a drive that could have won them the game. And then I want to see Skip Bayless's head explode. Literally.

Also, I kind of have a crush on Odell Beckham Junior. This is worrying.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

I agree with everything what Halcyon Days says about Johnny Manziel. I can't wait to see how Skip Bayless puts a happy face on this clown. As if I need another reason to hate Johnny Manziel. 

And because Josh Gordon got suspended again for being involved in that stupidity, he will become on Restricted Free Agent instead of becoming an Unrestricted Free Agent. I don't know what that means other than its going to cost him a lot of money. Not like he deserves it anyway. Hopefully, another NFL team won't give him another chance to mess up again.

Overall, Browns fans deserved better than having these 2 asshats on their team making a mockery of their franchise. 

Hopefully, after seeing the Falcons pretty fall flat on their faces today with the playoffs on the line, I don't ever want to see Mike Smith working in the NFL in any capacity ever again. Him & that team are just plain awful. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 2