Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:19 PM, topanga said:

I don't understand why John Elway wants another veteran quarterback with a history of injuries and multiple surgeries. Denver's cold winter air can't be good for Romo's back. Or collarbone. Or shoulder. Or his fingers. 

You mean like Manning who took them to two SB's and won one. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, Jx223 said:

The Cleveland Browns making the trade with the Texans for Brock Osweiler and a 2018 second round pick is a surprising but good move for Texans, IMO. 

It was really good for Cleveland.  They had a lot of cap room and just basically paid for a 2nd round pick.  A 2nd round pick for cash is mostly unheard of.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:14 PM, ganesh said:

I think it's DUI, then DUI when you actually kill someone, obstruction of justice or related federal crime, then the rest. 

I don't know if kneeling during the anthem is below or above footballs changing air pressure due to weather because of all the money the NFL gets from the military to 'honor the troops'. They risk losing hard cash if legal Americans exercise their constitutionally protected rights. 

Sorry, but he had no right to kneel during the games.  Only what the team or league gave him.  Teams and coaches in different leagues and organizations have told players they won't be doing that. 

Just like any job, you can't just protest or say what you want and hide behind the freedom of speech. 

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:06 PM, merylinkid said:

Well Kap made it to a Super Bowl.   Fitzpatrick, Cutler and Griffin have not.   Kap has the ability, he just needs a stable system.

Making it to the SB does not make one a better QB.  They are many QB's that have made the SB who were barely above average and great ones who never made it.  There are too many factors determining a SB appearance to base quality of player solely on that.

Edited by Jordan27
On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:42 PM, merylinkid said:

The Eagles had no problem signing Michael Vick after he spent two years not playing because he was in jail for running a dog fighting ring (not killing dogs).   The PR hit didn't bother them.   Although, come to think of it -- Eagles.    

But c'mon, the Owners are just being stupid here.    If MIKE GLENNON can get another chance.   If MARK SANCHEZ can keep getting signed.   There is room for Kapernick if the owners would just recognize the Constitution.

Last time I looked, they have a right to sign or not sign anyone they want.    The Constitution has nothing to do with it.

Actually, you can protest or say what you want. There's no hiding behind free speech. Free speech gives you the legal protection to do that without the government throwing you in jail. There's no protections against *consequences* of exercising your free speech. So if he got cut for it, I would say they were wrong to do that, but if there's some language in his contract about whatever, then that's the risk Kap takes. 

Of course, that really didn't have much to do with the original post that's been inexplicably quoted from a month ago, nor was the post to which I was responding posted for context. We were discussing how deflated footballs or kneeling during the anthem is worse than DUI, etc. 

Which underscores the whole point. There's no restrictions on what one must do when the anthem is played. Teams and coaches in different leagues can say what they want, but they aren't the arbiters of patriotism and get to define how one expresses theirs. Which is the entire problem. And let's face it, we all know the real reason Kap's getting all he flack. If Manning kneeled to honor all the fallen troops who sacrificed themselves overseas to protect our freedoms, the NFL would give him an award. It's patently absurd to pretend otherwise. 

I mean what would these people today do if this were the 60s and someone like Jim Brown decided to raise his fist during the anthem? 

• Love 8
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:05 AM, ganesh said:

No one is denying Kap didn't do what he did. I think it's good that sports are finally getting back around to some social consciousness like they used to. Clearly, any GM would say, ok this is a something that we need to talk about. He's a grown man. Just talk to him. Given all the excuses made for actual, not only criminal activity, but violent activity, it's just insulting that a qb one play short of the superbowl win can't find a job. 

No, I think most owners and coaches would like to keep politics out of their sport.  Plus, Kap's kneeling was so stupid.  What was it actually going to accomplish?  It was symbolical posturing and more about look at me than about any issue. 

His talents are sad now and his decision making was stupid.  Most NFL fans are patriotic and kneeling for the NA is the wrong way to protest.  Plus, Kap thought there would be no repercussions for his action.  That's why he was so quick to do it.  You think if he knew what would happen, he would take the same action?  Nope.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:11 AM, NowVoyager said:

The Las Vegas Raiders?!? What the whaat!?! That doesn't even sound right. Weren't the citizens of Oakland famously loyal to their team? I guess that goes out the window when there's money involved.

I hadn't considered this particular problem until I saw a little blurb on TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/01/dustin-hoffman-raiders-las-vegas/

All those young players with new money burning a hole in their pockets living in Sin City--- the drinking, the gambling, the women. 

Yeah.... this will end well.......

Yeah, because gambling, drinking and women don't exist in any other cities. 

This was a business decision.  Oakland has a crummy stadium and they couldn't work out a stadium deal.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, Fukui San said:

A replay flag has been thrown. They're going to review the tape.

After a further review, the play stands as called.  It's a suicide.

This again? If he sits, it's the wrong way. If he kneels, it's the wrong way. Everyone knows what the wrong way is. Kap sure has the right to protest, but he's doing it the wrong way. He can exercise his free speech but only if it's in the way that I think is right, and I'll know it when I see it. Someone like Kap needs to "know his place" and "do what he's told". 

This is a total canard and I don't believe a shred of it. I didn't then and I don't now. But that's all we heard when this was happening. People complaining about their patriotism when one guy kneels during the anthem says more about them than Kap. 

If that's not indicative of the systemic racism that Kap was trying to call attention to, I don't know what is.

I don't know what the reason for dredging up month old discussions is, but clearly, Kap has paid for the consequences of his actions, so it's not really relevant anymore. 

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, ganesh said:

There's no protections against *consequences* of exercising your free speech. So if he got cut for it, I would say they were wrong to do that, but if there's some language in his contract about whatever, then that's the risk Kap takes

The problem is there is no free speech when it comes to your job, so mentioning is incorrect.  An employer establishes rules for conduct.  There is no wrong or right.  An employer can make any rules they want. 

20 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Of course, that really didn't have much to do with the original post that's been inexplicably quoted from a month ago,

I just read it.  Didn't know there was a statue of limitations on replying to posts.

21 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Which underscores the whole point. There's no restrictions on what one must do when the anthem is played. Teams and coaches in different leagues can say what they want, but they aren't the arbiters of patriotism and get to define how one expresses theirs.

Nope, they can make any rules they want, just like any job can.

15 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I don't know what the reason for dredging up month old discussions is, but clearly, Kap has paid for the consequences of his actions, so it's not really relevant anymore. 

I just read it(that's why) and evidently it was relevant to you as you responded.

And he still doesn't have a job, so still relevant.

On Sat Apr 01 2017 at 4:11 AM, NowVoyager said:

The Las Vegas Raiders?!? What the whaat!?! That doesn't even sound right. Weren't the citizens of Oakland famously loyal to their team? I guess that goes out the window when there's money involved.

I hadn't considered this particular problem until I saw a little blurb on TMZ:

http://www.tmz.com/2017/04/01/dustin-hoffman-raiders-las-vegas/

All those young players with new money burning a hole in their pockets living in Sin City--- the drinking, the gambling, the women. 

Yeah.... this will end well.......

12 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

Yeah, because gambling, drinking and women don't exist in any other cities. 

This was a business decision.  Oakland has a crummy stadium and they couldn't work out a stadium deal.

Tis true. Temptation is everywhere. But!---

Darling, have you ever been to Vegas?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Jordan27 said:

This euphemism annoys me. It's how the press and owners try to hide the fact that it's all about convincing cities/counties/states to give multi billion dollar enterprises hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money based on bullshit economic projections produced by "independent" firms with ties to the league. 

Darren Rovell is the worst when it comes to this. He just paraphrases/repackages flattering press releases/leaked info from the owners instead of actually being a reporter.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

In lighter news, Draft Day!

Let's see what Cleveland does with baseball analytics, shall we?

DePodesta was a football guy BEFORE he got into baseball.

So far, they've been doing fine.  We'll see with this draft if anything starts to come to fruition.

I am interested in seeing where players go in the draft and what trades may end up being made tonight.I saw a report that mentioned that the Browns have known who they were going to take at #1 for a couple of weeks now. I also saw rumors on twitter that they are going to take Mitchell Trubisky. I think that Myles Garret should go #1 overall but I could see Cleveland taking another QB. I also saw a report where the 49ers were talking about how important it is to have a QB. I could see them taking a QB as well at #2 (Maybe DeShaun Watson) and Myles not being chosen in the top 2 picks. Maybe the 49ers may even trade their #2 pick for Kirk Cousins.

I also wonder where Leonard Fournette may land. I have heard some people say they think he would be a good fit for the Panthers. Maybe they will end up getting him.

The most interesting thing I heard this morning is that Cleveland should take Garrett at one because Trubisky will most likely still be available at twelve but if they take the QB first, San Francisco will be ecstatic to take Garrett.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The most interesting thing I heard this morning is that Cleveland should take Garrett at one because Trubisky will most likely still be available at twelve but if they take the QB first, San Francisco will be ecstatic to take Garrett.

I wonder if they will maybe take Myles and then trade up and try and get Mitch as well. Maybe they will be able to do that or end up somehow getting them both. I also wonder what they may end up doing with Brock Osweiler.

Also, the red carpet is on right now on NFL network, and they got Carl Weathers working it.

Edited by Jx223

The problem I would have if Trubisky goes first is that they are essentially saying he is better than Watson which I can't really get behind.

Watching the highlights package they are showing of Garrett makes me realize how much I miss football.  Also if Garrett moves at full speed he is going to be dynamite.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Interesting that the Bears made a trade with the 49ers and chose to get Mitchell Trubisky. Especially considering the contract that they gave to Mike Glennon. I wonder who the Browns will select at QB now and if the 49ers might choose a QB with the 3rd pick or get a defensive player first. Maybe Cleveland may now end up with DeShaun Watson.

Edited by Jx223

I think that the Chiefs moving up and getting Patrick Mahones is interesting. I am interested in seeing how he develops on that team. Also, there are some nice defensive prospects left like Johnathan Allen, and Malik Hooker who could definitely help improve some teams defense. 

Edited by Jx223
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Are we going to have to deal with those shithead Philly boo birds all night long? I just can't. 

That's not a Philly thing, it's a Goodell thing. He would have been booed no matter where they held the draft.

• Love 7

I wish DeShaun Watson the best in Houston. I definitely think that is a better landing spot for him than some other places he could have gone. I hope this ends up being a good fit for him and them.. They really are a just QB away from really competiting. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, xaxat said:

That's not a Philly thing, it's a Goodell thing. He would have been booed no matter where they held the draft.

I understand that, but they were booing when someone was talking to them (saw it in the background while the commentators were talking). It was distracting. I can barely hear anything.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, xaxat said:

He might have been booed somewhere else, but I doubt it would be every.fucking.time he comes up to the microphone.  I think anyplace else the booing would've stopped by, say, the 5th or 6th pick because they would've had sense enough to know that they had made their point.  Not Philly fans though.  Bunch of jackholes.

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, twoods said:

I understand that, but they were booing when someone was talking to them (saw it in the background while the commentators were talking). It was distracting. I can barely hear anything.

That's on the ESPN/NFL Network sound guys. 

31 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

He might have been booed somewhere else, but I doubt it would be every.fucking.time he comes up to the microphone.  I think anyplace else the booing would've stopped by, say, the 5th or 6th pick because they would've had sense enough to know that they had made their point.  Not Philly fans though.  Bunch of jackholes.

I'm pretty sure they booed him most of the first round when the draft was in Chicago.

Chewie! Never mind, that was bigfoot.

Edited by xaxat

I am glad that Reuben Foster finally got drafted. I think the 49ers did a good job tonight in the draft. They got Reuben, Solomon Thomas and some picks including one for next year. I also hope that Taco Charlton works out for the Cowboys. Also, DeShone Kizer wasn't drafted tonight, but maybe he will go early in the round two tomorrow night. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, xaxat said:

As a couple others said, Philadelphia is just a little different in their approach. I went to school in eastern PA, and have many good friends from that area. The distinct difference with them from other fan bases is the level of pride they take in their negativity. 

One friend talked about the time Eric Lindros played his first game as a Flyer in Quebec. The fans there threw pacifiers on the ice. My friend had glee on his face as he said, "that was great!" Directed at his own player... didn't care. Thought it was great. He then said something along the lines of, if he owned a team, he'd have free collectors bottle night.

• Love 2

They aren't high profile or sexy picks, but the Colts got two very high value picks also at high areas of need in the first two rounds.  Malik Hooker from Ohio State at safety and Wilson from Florida at Corner.  Both were projected much higher than where they were taken.  Colts actually may have a good secondary now. 

Still need pass rushers, but Ballard as rookie GM is doing great so far. 

• Love 1

Lol at Drew Pearson. I enjoyed the way he handled the boos. And I am glad that Dallas got another defensive player. They definitely need to try and improve as much as they can defensively.

Edited by Jx223

Day 2, so I'm guessing cheaper tickets and drunker fans. The boo birds were out in full force and so happy the ex Cowboys embraces it. I think some people just went to the draft to do nothing but boo everything. I felt sorry for the other fans who were there to see some draft picks and cheer their team on.

I can't believe the Bills gave up a third round pick to move up in the second round. At least they got some much needed help, but still... the Browns were doing well and maybe they will finally draft a decent QB. They can't do any worse than last season, right?

It's bad enough booing Goodell incessantly, but I hated them booing the older, former players from NFC East teams.  Now, some Philly fans might call it "playful booing," but it's annoying as hell.  Those former players laughed and took it in stride, but it was just so disrespectful.

13 hours ago, roamyn said:

Well, the Browns were doing well (even my Pissburgh fan of a hubby was impressed), until this Norte Dame QB pick.

I think he was the one who said he had the body of Cam Newton and the mind of Tom Brady.  Got drafted at 53, I think? Riiiiiight.

• Love 3

It's bad enough booing Goodell incessantly, but I hated them booing the older, former players from NFC East teams.  Now, some Philly fans might call it "playful booing," but it's annoying as hell.  Those former players laughed and took it in stride, but it was just so disrespectful.

I agree with this. I don't care about Goodell--if he doesn't want to be booed, maybe he should be something better than a disaster at his job--but booing former players is so tasteless.

• Love 2

From what I can tell, there were six o-linemen taken in the first 108 picks.

That's crazy to me.  So either nearly every team is set on the line, or colleges are not putting out quality linemen.

23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

From what I can tell, there were six o-linemen taken in the first 108 picks.

That's crazy to me.  So either nearly every team is set on the line, or colleges are not putting out quality linemen.

iirc all the (so-called) draft experts said in the days leading up to the draft that this was the weakest OL crop they've seen in years. So I think, at least this year, it's more the latter.

Edited by stealinghome

So what's up with allusions to fictional murderous psychopaths (TWD's Negan and GOT's Mountain) introducing picks?

(It's so pathetic that I'm actually watching day three. But I really don't want to mow the lawn yet.)

2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

iirc all the (so-called) draft experts said in the days leading up to the draft that this was the weakest OL crop they've seen in years. So I think, at least this year, it's more the latter.

Yes, it's just not a super talented group this year. It'll be back up to normal next year. 

The NFL is trying to create the draft as a rowdy party and Philly's treating it like a rowdy party.

Go ahead, boo, yell, be obnoxious and have a great time!  I hope next year's city enjoys this as loudly and crassly as much as it looks like you did.

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

Yes, it's just not a super talented group this year. It'll be back up to normal next year. 

But this was a record year for Defensive Ends being drafted so high.  Next year's class will be better, but this year had some great defensive players.

5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I think he was the one who said he had the body of Cam Newton and the mind of Tom Brady.  Got drafted at 53, I think? Riiiiiight.

Well, if you average draft position, (Cam was drafted #1 overall and Brady was drafted #199)he's actually better. [sarcasm]

• Love 1

It was amusing to be in Wisconsin after the Packers traded out of the fist round and TJ Watt went to the Steelers with the very next pick.  Lots of muttering about how Ted Thompson hates the Badgers, lots of outraged phone calls to local sports radio, which continued until 11:00 am on Saturday when the Packers drafted Vince Biegel of the Badgers (a guy some scouts think may be a better pro than TJ Watt), and suddenly there was talk of how smart Ted was, dropping back 4 spots, still got Kevin King, and got an extra pick that became the Biegel pick. 

I am also amused at the grades the "experts" give the various teams' drafts.  I don't think you can grade a draft for at least 3 years.  I remember that many thought the Packers wasted a draft pick on Aaron Rodgers, with Favre still playing well  How many teams regret their failure to waste a pick on him?

And how many pink slips will ESPN be handing out to their NFL folks now that the draft is over?