Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Except with the Giants. The NY Giants seem to be every good team's kryptonite. 

Agreed.  Pats usually fail to pummel Baltimore like they do to many teams (although they still win over the Ravens for the most part).  The same can be said at the expense of Dallas.  Fortunately for those teams, the only good team that New York has great difficulty with is Seattle.  Speaking of the Seahawks, I actually admire their uniforms.  Could be due to the color itself.  But I totally can see how it's a tad too much for TV

• Love 1

I really like Russell Wilson, but why does he talk in clichés? "We made some great plays...There's always room to grow...Every game's important...We're looking ahead to the next challenge..." Maybe most players and coaches talk this way, but when Russell gives post-game interviews, he sounds like he stood in front of a mirror before the game and memorized his lines. 

So Pete Carroll gets the award for douchiest move by a head coach this season. Who fakes a punt up by three touchdowns? Would serve him right if he loses his punter for the year. Same for Bennett and his crotch thrust-twerking. What a bunch of stooges. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, twoods said:

So Pete Carroll gets the award for douchiest move by a head coach this season. Who fakes a punt up by three touchdowns? Would serve him right if he loses his punter for the year. Same for Bennett and his crotch thrust-twerking. What a bunch of stooges. 

Seriously, that was such a douche nozzle move. I'm surprised the punter's body parts weren't scattered all over the field.

As for the Rams, could their offense be any more atrocious? Towards the end of the first half my husband said to me "has anyone from the Rams caught a pass yet?". 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I'm surprised the punter's body parts weren't scattered all over the field.

They damn near were.   The way the trainers were acting, they thought he might have been more serioiusly hurt than just knocked out.   The trainers were shoving players back so they could work on him.   When was the last time you saw that?

• Love 1

Soooo I actually liked Seattle's uniforms last night.  If the NFL really had any balls they'd go full circus on this Thursday Night game stuff and have the players play with the lights out.  I bet those neon green unis are "glow in the dark".  So why not just have all the teams play in glow in the dark uniforms....paint the football in some kind of red bright color and let them go. 

• Love 1

Listen I get that Tom Brady's age (39) most likely means a drop off in performance next year.  OK,  more than most likely.  (Never mind that his QB rating is higher this year Then at age 38)

Having said that, considering that the pool of 39+ NFL starting QB's is so freakin rare,  (Favre, Manning, Warren Moon, etc) I'm fucking tired  of reading that Peyton Manning is " proof" that Bradys performance will drop off dramatically next year.

in 1997, Warren Moon made the Pro Bowl at age 40/41 and enjoyed his 2nd  best statistical seaon  in 5 years , all the more impressive considering Moon had sat out the second half of the previous season (1996) with a broken collarbone. Ditto Favre's stats as 40 year old starting QB with Minnesota Vikings (33 TD's to 7 Int's).

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Brady also missed a year and a quarter, so he's basically 37. Whether one likes him or not, he's one of the faces of the NFL, and rules are evolving continually to protect QBs. It's not far fetched to think he could produce at a high level till 43. I think Rogers could be the same. 

• Love 1

Even if Brady doesn't have a great performance at the end of his career, I think he'll be alright.  No reason to think the Pats won't win throughout the rest of this decade and into the next one.  If NE doubles efforts in their run game and triples efforts toward their defense (a la Denver), Brady and Bill might actually win more titles themselves than Pittsburgh, Dallas, and San Francisco.  Right now they are very close to being in the end game more than any other team (of course, Dallas might keep pace with that this year).  IIRC, Dallas had been either tied or had the lead in Super Bowl appearances from 1978-1985, and then from 1993-Present

Being aware of the forecast for Chicago tomorrow, my friends and I who have always wanted to go to Packers @ Bears are so glad we decided when the schedule came out that this year's game was too close to Christmas and we would be all too busy to go.  I'm glad I will be watching from the comfort of my living room, as the wind howls and the snow blows.   

Wow, Doug Flutie makes Mike Tirico look less of a munchkin than he usually does.  When Tirico is on with Collinsworth, I think for those opening shots, Tirico stands while Collinsworth sits. 

• Love 1

Why do I have a bad feeling about the Bills today? I know that the Buffalo Bills absolutely suck & that their coach (Rex Ryan) is basically one foot out of door. But, is it too much too ask that they not fall flat on their face against the Browns today? Is that too much too ask? 

Edited by Magog

I guess this means Pete Carroll is on pace to punt inside the redzone on the way to his next blowout victory. Or just punt on first down anywhere. Then he can state that he has a heart and didn't want to run up the score too much

37 minutes ago, Magog said:

But, is it too much too ask that they not fall flat on their face against the Browns today? Is that too much too ask

Speaking as a Browns fan, it's cute that you are worried about the Browns beating you.

• Love 4

I mean, a team who loses to the Browns with a coach already on the hot seat has no other choice, really.  And I say this as one of the few people who likes Rex, even if I don't care one whit about the Bills in general.

I'm very happy about the Giants' win, obviously, but I am over the moon excited that the Raiders will be going to the playoffs!  Thirteen years.  There was a time there where I honestly wondered if I'd ever see it again.  I have always liked Jack Del Rio, and I like Derek Carr, too. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Popples said:

Jaguars fire head coach Gus Bradley. It's on the bottom scroll of RedZone and there aren't any articles about it posted yet.

ETA: Deadspin article

I had the NFL Network on in the other room and I heard them say Bradley has to fly back with the team.  I'm like damnnnnn couldnt they  have waited until they landed back in Jacksonville.  Did they really have to fire him literally right after the game.

I hate the Colts.  They are so schizophrenic.  I wish they'd decide what they want to be.  Do you want to be good....or do you want to be bad.  Uggg.

I like the win by the Titans against KC.  Definitely the surprise win of the day IMO.  And this was after the coach tried to give the game away by going for 2 instead of kicking the field goal to tie the game. 

I'm happy everyone survived the Packers-Bears game.  Anyone complaining about athletes making millions of dollars...go out in -2° weather for 3 hours with no coat.  Oh yeah and run a couple miles while you're out there.  I run to go catch a cab in 35 degree weather and my chest starts burning....I dont know how the hell these guys do it...but more power to them.

• Love 3

That Titans kicker was ridiculous, nailing a 53 yarder into the wind after coming up short before the timeout. The coach was really an idiot for going for 2 instead of the tie- leading the division was on the line for goodness sake. 

Thank goodness the Bills beat the Browns. I feel really bad for them- must be terrible being in that locker room.

• Love 1

I had the NFL Network on in the other room and I heard them say Bradley has to fly back with the team.  I'm like damnnnnn couldnt they  have waited until they landed back in Jacksonville.  Did they really have to fire him literally right after the game.

I didn't have a problem with it.  I think Gus knew he was done anyway (I believe it was a decided last week at least).  I think they should have waited, esp given the painful loss, but Shad Khan would have received more heat had Gus got Kiffin'd.  OTOH, if Bradley wanted to go his own way I can't blame him, but I guess if you're under contract you still have to travel back with the team no matter what

Totally right call.  I guess they could have done it earlier or wait a couple weeks, but Bradley is free for the holidays.  Great man, but wasn't the guy.  I think he'll be fine.  He'll get work and gets to wait until after the new year to start looking

• Love 2

I don't even like Dak or Jason Garrett or Dallas or even the state of Texas but seriously, how is "Romo gives them a better chance to win the Super Bowl" still a thing?  Let's see...this kid has won every game but two.  But yeah, he's the second option once our fragile, turnover-prone old man coming off a broken back became "healthy."  It's a stupid argument and I'm tired of hearing it.

I actually heard a media guy say "if Romo played last week, they would have beaten the Giants."  And your evidence for this is?  Shut up, idiot media guy.

The vitriol on Twitter against Elliot's dive into the red kettle getting the flag made me so angry.  It's AGAINST THE RULES.  Doesn't matter if the rule is stupid, it's still a rule.  He's not special because it may have been for charity.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The vitriol on Twitter against Elliot's dive into the red kettle getting the flag made me so angry.  It's AGAINST THE RULES.  Doesn't matter if the rule is stupid, it's still a rule.  He's not special because it may have been for charity.

It is a Rule and Elliott gets that.   I think the Rule should be tweaked.   Lambeau leaps are fine.   Snow angels are okay sometimes.   Use of props always forbidden.   I think anything that uses a preplanned prop (cellphone in the end zone) should be forbidden.   but jumping into the Salvation Army kettle in the heat of the moment should not be.

Elliot also said if he is fined he is donating an equivalent amount to the Salvation Army.   The best part about these Cowboys rookies?  They GET it.  

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:00 AM, topanga said:

I really like Russell Wilson, but why does he talk in clichés? "We made some great plays...There's always room to grow...Every game's important...We're looking ahead to the next challenge..." Maybe most players and coaches talk this way, but when Russell gives post-game interviews, he sounds like he stood in front of a mirror before the game and memorized his lines. 

He may very well have done just that. 

I don't recall where I heard or read this, but when he was younger his dad used to have him hold fake press conferences and answer questions to prepare for this when he was older.  This was when he was like 10 or something.  Pretty crazy

12 hours ago, twoods said:

That Titans kicker was ridiculous, nailing a 53 yarder into the wind after coming up short before the timeout. The coach was really an idiot for going for 2 instead of the tie- leading the division was on the line for goodness sake. 

Thank goodness the Bills beat the Browns. I feel really bad for them- must be terrible being in that locker room.

Why do coaches insist on trying to 'ice' kickers like this? 

Just stop doing it.  It fails more than it works. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't recall where I heard or read this, but when he was younger his dad used to have him hold fake press conferences and answer questions to prepare for this when he was older.  This was when he was like 10 or something.  Pretty crazy

So Russel prepped his first dates with Ciara....

running and ducking

• Love 1
14 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

I hate the Colts.  They are so schizophrenic.  I wish they'd decide what they want to be.  Do you want to be good....or do you want to be bad.  Uggg.

Its a sign of a poorly coached team, inconsistency.  It is frustrating as a colts fan.  Not just watching it week to week and not knowing what to expect, but seeing the coach do this year after year and still have a job somehow. 

They will end up 8-8 just like last year.  They win games they shouldn't, like yesterday and against GB earlier in the year, and then somehow lose to Jax in London and give up 14 points in 5 minutes to blow a game vs. Houston.

Pagano should have been fired at the end of last year.  If they had even fired him early in the season this year, I think they would be in the playoffs right now

As it is they are need to win out vs Oakland and Jax and need an unlikely scenario and 4 or 5 other losses to make it.  OK 3 for the division and about 6 for the WC spot, but either way, not likely to happen

Just wasted opportunities and seasons

• Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

It is a Rule and Elliott gets that.   I think the Rule should be tweaked.   Lambeau leaps are fine.   Snow angels are okay sometimes.   Use of props always forbidden.   I think anything that uses a preplanned prop (cellphone in the end zone) should be forbidden.   but jumping into the Salvation Army kettle in the heat of the moment should not be.

Elliot also said if he is fined he is donating an equivalent amount to the Salvation Army.   The best part about these Cowboys rookies?  They GET it.  

But it wasn't "heat of the moment". Prescott said Elliot had asked his opinion about it during pregame. So it was definitely planned.  But for me,  I dont care if it was planned.  I loved it.  (Not the actual Salvation Army part though....they are huge homophobes who have threatened to shut down operations in entire cities due to LGBT legislation being enacted in those cities).  But the overall act was fun and clearly its created a lot of positive buzz.  I've been a big proponent of the league relaxing ALL rules regarding celebrations.  Preplanned, props, choreography, whatever.  Perhaps my only rule would revolve around length of celebrations.  Like nothing longer than 10 seconds. 

• Love 8

I'm glad the Cowboys won, but the defense didn't look great. Especially the secondary. Jameis Winston threw some bombs last night, and whether or not the receivers caught them, they were usually wide open.

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Weird. And that's a lot of pressure to put on a kid. I just hope Russell doesn't go all Tiger Woods and start banging one woman after another.

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I liked the Kettle Leap. It was different and fun. Yes, it violated the rules. But I'm so sick of watching choreographed dance moves in the end zone (or in the backfield when someone makes a tackle or a sack). I have nothing against dancing, mind you. And the guys doing the dancing are quite talented--I wouldn't mind dancing with them at a club. But it's become so boring--everyone has his own little hip-swaying, "Imma get you pregnant, girl" moves. Yawn.

I liked Victor Cruz's salsa and Jacoby Jones' crazy dance medley. But not everyone had a practiced dance routine back then, either. And yes, I like the Lambeau leap.

I'm of the opinion that they should act like they've scored before.  When I see something like jumping into the pot, I think how easy it would be to turn an ankle or wrench a knee.  Don't think the reward is worth the risk.

• Love 1

Browns fans set up "Go Fund Me" for their "Perfect" season parade. They've already more than doubled their target amount, and the most hilarious bids (to me) are $16 (number of losses) and $26 (number of quarterbacks since 1999).

Any money over their $1999 target will be donated to the Greater Cleveland Food Bank, unless they don't have the parade and all the proceeds will be donated.

Poor Browns. I sort of wanted Cleveland to also win the World Series (and I don't care about baseball AT. ALL.), so it would look like they sacrificed the Browns for the other two sports teams in the city to win championships.

• Love 4

Soooo the refs definitely hate Cam Newton.  That was a clear helmet to helmet hit on Cam while he was sliding. The refs actually do throw a flag but its on Cam for "taunting" because he flicked the ball after the play. Not even sure if he threw it at the defender or just out of bounds near him. That was ridiculous.

• Love 7

This is one of a handful of reasons why people hate the league.  They say that if this happened to Brees, that gets flagged.  Then the NFL says they probably would have missed the call anyway.  Problem is, Drew gets taken down on a great defensive play, and here comes the flag

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Soooo the refs definitely hate Cam Newton.  That was a clear helmet to helmet hit on Cam while he was sliding. The refs actually do throw a flag but its on Cam for "taunting" because he flicked the ball after the play. Not even sure if he threw it at the defender or just out of bounds near him. That was ridiculous.

I am one of the last people to cry racism over things or at institutions, but my god, the way the refs have treated Cam Newton this year is pitiful.  If its not racist its just a personal vendetta for some reason against Cam himself for whatever reason. 

That call tonight was awful.  The player dove at and hit him in the head, not a question at all about it.  Multiple hits in the opener against Denver and many other hits this year some thing, Cam doesn't get the calls where just about any other QB in this league can be breathed on wrong and its a flag. 

But despite it the Redskins are managing to blow their chance at the playoffs.  Almost as bad as Minnesota yesterday vs. the Colts. 

• Love 2