Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Both times they played it, a decision (verdict) by the refs (aka judges) was pending so I think they were just using the music as a little joke.

Two banked field goals in one week. The field goal gods are making up for all the supposedly easy missed field goals and xtra points we've been having. Now no one knows what to expect.

• Love 2

Minnesota, I am disappoint.

This game was more fun when Dallas looked bad and before the Vikings shot themselves in the foot.

I had no idea Randall Cunningham immediately followed Jaws.  Those two do not in any way feel like they are contemporaries to me.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

The Cowboys are fortunate they didn't do themselves in tonight with all of the penalties they acquired. This was an uglier win for them. I think this was their hardest matchup so far. The Vikings defense played very well.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

The defense needs to settle down.   Rookies are a problem.

Damn near had a heart attack when it looked like the Boys would lose.  Just in shock that unlike the old days, they actually find a way to win instead of find a way to lose.

• Love 1

It was December first!  They were suppose to melt down and not come back from that!  Jerks.

I don't like that they get the extra rest when the Giants have to play a late game at a tough place like Pittsburgh.

• Love 1

The Cowboys last played Thursday afternon on Thanksgiving.    The Vikings played Thursday morning on Thanksgiving.

The Giants played Sunday early afternoon and now play Sunday late afternoon.   So the Giants have about the same rest as the Cowboys.   

If anyone got extra rest it was the Vikings by getting a few more hours.

10 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Both times they played it, a decision (verdict) by the refs (aka judges) was pending so I think they were just using the music as a little joke.

Thank you. They did the "In Memoriam" to Grant Tinker, the recently deceased producer of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and and I was trying to figure out what the hell he had to do with L & O.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I meant going into next week when the Giants play the Cowboys.  Dallas gets two extra days of rest for an important game.

Yes. New York gets normal rest while Dallas gets a week and a half.  The good news is that the Giants won't get screwed as bad as San Francisco did earlier this season (and even at the very same time last year).  In other words, it's a home game for the GMEN as they host the Cowboys.  And the Giants have position on Dallas (thanks to a road win at AT&T in Week One)

New York wins out and, say the Cowboys drop a game to Detroit, all of a sudden the road to Reliant for SB 51 would go through Metlife, while Dallas would have to go Atlanta or Detroit before heading back to MetLife (or even worse: CenturyLink) in the postseason

Big if with that though!

That was a great game last night.  The so-called rookie-wall may have factored in, but sadly the offense isn't a great one for Minnesota.  Added to a fair-enough defense from Dallas, the end result was what I expected.  I probably won't rank it over New England's defense when it comes to non-flashy, do-your-job kind of defense, but it's close.  Unlikely Special teams turn of events; otherwise Dallas might lose (OTOH, endzone, Vikings!).  At season's end; this game might end up meaningless (just for Dallas)

Well, what might get lost in this weekend with College Football is how the Patriots ended any talk of Gronk returning before 2/5/17.  New England thinks rather highly of Rob and his future.  With people saying it’s career ending or trending that way, it’s a tough call but the right call to make it impossible for the TE to return with such a major injury.  JJ Watt might have set the standard.  I don’t think it changes too much for the Pats chances.  They’ve lost playoff games with Gronk, and won 3 titles without Gronk.

I think that Gary should have punted and took the tie. If he had done that they would have been tied with the Chiefs for second place in the division. Now they are in 3rd place. This decision might come back and hurt them as the rest of the season plays out.

I’m so glad Kubiak went for it.  Not because I had anything to gain from a Denver loss, but because you’d be playing for a tie at best.  As mentioned, while a tie is better than a loss, a win is better than a tie.  Tough field goal, but it’s an automatic win if it hits. It didn’t but it didn’t result in an automatic loss at that point either.  Going for it? Meh. Punting sucks IMO because Denver would’ve conceded and heck, Smith could have gone down the field in a hurry.  To be fair, whatever he decided would have been okay; they do have a great defense that might have gotten lucky with a turnover.

I think a tie would have meant nothing positively.  The only team that they would have been affected by that tie would have been Cincinnati, who is done

Jeff Fisher signs contract extension with Rams. It wouldn't stop him from being fired if the Rams are still terrible next year, but what's he done to deserve it? Besides his agent being the father of a senior executive with the Rams organization.

May we all be so lucky to have professions where we can be paid handsomely to underachieve for so long. He's 10 games over .500 for his career, but he's only had 6 winning seasons in 22 years.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Popples said:

Besides his agent being the father of a senior executive with the Rams organization.

That is the only reason.  the one and only reason.  Why would you keep someone who performs so poorly?  Because the team was moving and he had experience with teams that move?   BFD.   How about you get someone with experience at, you know, winning games.   The move was a one year thing.  If they had sucked this year with a new HC and the move, that would be a mulligan.  But they specifically kept Fisher for his experience with moving.  And they sucked.  So the experience meant nothing.  

Also someone pointed out its a 2 year deal.  Just in time for the new stadium opening.  Which will be another excuse to keep him.  As long as that conflict of interest exists, they will find excuses to keep him.

The Rams need to fire both Fisher and Demoff.

• Love 2

Remember the coin toss stunt Fisher pulled sending out the six players drafted by the Rams with the picks received from the RGIII trade? Have any of those six players turned out to be anything? 

And of course the Redskins are actually good this year. Something no Fisher led Ram team could say. 

I don't often lament that we have fios and not satellite, but when the ONLY game on is Rams/Pats...well I wish that little dish were attached to my roof.

This is torture.  It's 14 nothing and might as well be 42 zip for how close the Rams are going to get.  My only hope is that in another score or two FOX takes pity and switches to something else.

• Love 1

The Patriots ran more plays in the first half than the Rams have total yards. Looks like that extension is already paying off.

It's funny how Fox has been passive aggressively taking shots at Fisher and his extension. Throwing up a graphic comparing Belichick and Fisher's career stats. Continuously wondering how the Rams have no running game despite the presence of Gurley. Bradshaw pretending to call up Norv Turner to offer him a job with the Rams. . . 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

Britt should be ashamed of himself.

I never thought I would be happy to see the Lions but FOX took mercy on us and switched.  This game looks like a blowout too but at least it's not the Pats.

RedZone costs a fee on Fios which I have not paid for so I get whatever CBS and FOX throws at us.

Nope, paid programming up to the late game on CBS.  Which I will not watch since the Giants are the Game of the Week on FOX.

CBS only has the late game which is Buffalo at Oakland.  But except for the last couple of weeks we always have Buffalo in this market one way or another.

• Love 1

Derek Carr and the Raiders did a great job storming back in the second half and getting the win over the Bills today. Their record is now 10-2, the same as the Patriots. I think they are definitely showing why they are one of the best teams in the league right now.

Chiefs and Lions are also continuing to truck along and get wins. The Lions defense did a good job of not allowing Drew Brees to get a TD, the first time in several years since this has happened. The Chiefs defense played well today as well and grinded out another narrow win. 

Tampa also got a good win (their fourth in a row) and now has the same record as Atlanta in the NFC South. 

And now the Cowboys are in the playoffs due to Washington losing against the Cardinals. I am definitely looking forward to seeing how these last few weeks play out and seeing who makes it into the playoffs.

Edited by Jx223

I'm happy for Berry beating cancer, but, man what a way to lose a game.

Life as a Falcons fan: Score 28 but lose by 1 point because we gave up 16 points on a Pick 6, TD on a fake punt, and a pick 2 right after taking a 1 point lead with a few minutes left in the game.

Man, Oakland is to Penn State as Buffalo is to Wisconsin

Meanwhile, mild shock with Earl Thomas' comments.  Probably going to be one of those years where I'll feel a little sad post Super Bowl (and I got it right the last two times)

Totally incredible what happened with Kansas City & Atlanta, I agree.  Berry's game is the best thing for today no matter what.  Fortunately it's not a total blow for the Falcons.  Maybe it comes back to hurt them down the road, but could you imagine if this happened in January?!

What a disgrace it is that Jeff Fisher is still a head coach in the NFL.

Giants defense played hard today but there offensive line is terrible.  Ereck Flowers needs to be on the bench as his shitty play is costing the Giants dearly.  I hate to say this but I’m starting to wonder if Eli is part of the problem too.  That red zone interception in the second quarter.  First off, Larry Donnell had no business being on the field, he’s terrible.  Eli had no business (under)throwing the ball to him, especially considering there were THREE GUYS around him.  Eli is incredibly careless with the ball when he’s in the red zone and it’s amazing a guy who has been as successful as he has been in the NFL has such awful instincts. 

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, benteen said:

Giants defense played hard today but there offensive line is terrible.  Ereck Flowers needs to be on the bench as his shitty play is costing the Giants dearly.  I hate to say this but I’m starting to wonder if Eli is part of the problem too.  That red zone interception in the second quarter.  First off, Larry Donnell had no business being on the field, he’s terrible.  Eli had no (under)business throwing the ball to him, especially considering there were THREE GUYS around him.  Eli is incredibly careless with the ball when he’s in the red zone and it’s amazing a guy who has been as successful as he has been in the NFL has such awful instincts. 

You're starting to wonder? Eli is absolutely a part of the problem.  He throws wayyy to many interceptions.  This has been his problem his entire career.  But most fans and his coaches would just look the other way because he'd make enough good plays to get us by.  But not anymore.  This is why when earlier in the season people were clutching their pearls over Odell's shenanigans, I was like uhh hello Eli is throwing interceptions...of course Odell is gonna be pissed.  Odell still has his issues but Eli is the one with the ball in his hands literally every snap.  He needs to get his shit together or else this great 8-3 (now 8-4) start will be for nothing. We've got Cowboys, Lions, and then Eagles and Redskins on the road.  We could legit lose all 4 games.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, benteen said:

There's a great podcast interview by a fringe NFL player, TJ Moe. He came in as an undrafted FA to the Patriots a few years ago, got hurt, then spent the next seasons with a Rams. I don't think he ever made it into a game for either team. In the interview he contrasts the depth of preparation between the Patriots and the Rams several times to hilarious result. The Patriots draft interview forces him to pick a play apart and delineate every player's responsibility. The Rams just basically said "So, uhh... Do you think you can play inside and outside?"  The Rams' offense is notably simplistic compared to the Pats.  Well worth a listen.

• Love 1

It is 14-0 Colts in the middle of the 1st Quarter & I'm feeling like this game is already over. 

The only good thing about this (other than an early bedtime) will be watching the Jets post-game show on SNY. Ray Lucas (former Jet & the only reason to watch that show) is going to be even more angrier than he usually is when the Jets lose. I hope that Todd Bowles isn't getting too comfortable trying to coach that sorry team.

Edited by Magog

And with his non-shocking extension, the man is on pace toward a place on the Rams Ring of Honor when their new LA Stadium is done in 2019

I joined Facebook in summer 2009.  Apparently Eli has been garbage for at least the last seven years because at one point or another nearly every FB memory has some post during the football season where I curse him out or say that I hate him.

He WOULD be Elite if he would stop throwing to the other team.  I've never seen anyone panic more than him.

8 hours ago, langway said:

Dan Fouts was hella mad during the game yesterday. Really needs to get over his Raiders hate, lol.

Why?  Hating the Raiders, and enjoying it = one of the things that make my football life worth living.

Jets fans!! I'm speechless on your behalf.  And I thought Todd Bowles was a great choice for that team -- he was very respected in Phoenix.  Is it him? ownership? the fact that it's...theJets?

This was a very ugly loss tonight for the Jets against the Colts. They are in a pretty rough place right now and I wonder what changes they might end up making to improve their team. They need to figure out what to do at the position of QB and I wonder if Todd Bowles will end up being brought back as HC.

It was also reported tonight that Jets tickets for tonight's game were selling as low as $5 and $6 at places like Stubhub. 

Also, I wonder how things will now play out in the AFC South now that there is a 3 way tie for first place. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I love the game.  And I generally stay away from the "the NFL is a terrible organization and the leaders are minions of Satan" arguments but this article makes me question that.

NFL will allow Browns and Titans to wear custom cleats.

I mean, for fuck's sake.  I get it, that they want uniformity, but fining guys for their shoes is ridiculous.  Also, penalizing two teams who were on a bye and now they all don't even have time to get the special shoes is moronic.  FFS, why would they have scheduled this during a bye anyways?  Idiots.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Jx223 said:

This was a very ugly loss tonight for the Jets against the Colts. They are in a pretty rough place right now and I wonder what changes they might end up making to improve their team. They need to figure out what to do at the position of QB and I wonder if Todd Bowles will end up being brought back as HC.

It was also reported tonight that Jets tickets for tonight's game were selling as low as $5 and $6 at places like Stubhub. 

Also, I wonder how things will now play out in the AFC South now that there is a 3 way tie for first place. 

While the Titans are tied for first place, its unlikely they win the division.  They lost both games to the Colts and have 3 losses in the division, plus they have Denver and KC still on their schedule the next few weeks.  DOn't see it happening

It comes down to the Colts and Houston. 

If Houston beats the Colts this week, most likely they win.  However, even with a Houston loss to the Colts, if Houston wins out after that, they will take the division at 9-7 after tiebreakers even if Colts end up at 9-7.  Houston plays the Bengals, Jaguars and Titans

If Indy beats Houston, then I assume they will beat Jax (though they lost to them earlier in the year, but I don't see it happening again).  It then comes down to if Colts can beat either Minnesota or Oakland, more likely Minnesota.  If they win one of those two games and Houston loses another game, Colts will take the division at 9-7 vs. 8-8.  If they both end up tied at 8-8 somehow, depends on who Houston's other loss is against.  If they lose another division game and end up at 8-8 with the Colts, then it will come down to Strength of Victory tiebreaker, which is very close right now, almost even

First thing that has to happen is see what happens with Texans-Colts this week.  If Houston wins, its pretty much over.  If Colts win, its still up in the air. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure if you folks have seen this, but I found this podcast from last February with WEEI in Boston talking to a former Mizzou WR who tore his Achilles and never came to much in the NFL, T.J. Moe.  He talks a bit about the scouting combine, and then does some compare-and-contrast between the two teams he was with: the Patriots and Rams.  I thought it was an interesting listen for the insider perspective; if you're a Rams fan it will make you want to throw things.  Note that the link goes to the HTML page with a player; if you dig around in page info etc. you should be able to find the MP3 link if you want to download it.