Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Huh.  A quick check of twitter shows that I should be hating this game because the missed kicks and turnovers make this a terrible  game.

To hell with twitter.

ebk So you must always get Baltimore too?  I do not know where your allegiance is but that would be my own version of football hell, heh.

Just now, mojoween said:

Huh.  A quick check of twitter shows that I should be hating this game because the missed kicks and turnovers make this a terrible  game.

To hell with twitter.

ebk So you must always get Baltimore too?  I do not know where your allegiance is but that would be my own version of football hell, heh.

I live closer to DC, so if the Taters and the Ravens are on at the same time, we get the Taters.  Otherwise, we usually get both.  My sis lives in Baltimore and says that if there's any way to keep the Taters off the airways there, they do.  Sigh... 

My allegiance... well, I used to be a Colts fan, but then they were stolen out from under my nose (boohoo), so I became a Taters fan.  Then Little Napoleon bought them and now I can't stand them.  And I swore I'd never be a Ravens fan because we got the team (almost) the same way we lost the Colts.  Then Cleveland get another team in 3 years, and continued to whine about it.  So after a few years, I thought the hell with it, and now I'm a Ravens fan.  As much as I'm a football fan at all.  It's baseball for me down to my soul.

• Love 1

I cannot even articulate how beyond over I am of Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski.  All of it.  I'm tired of them, I'm tired of hearing about them and I am sick of the media slobbering all over their jocks.

Congrats Baltimore and Dallas!  I no longer hate you the most.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'll watch the football game tonight if I can guarantee a Cowboys loss.  Otherwise it's WS all the way.

I find it interesting that the NFL is desperate to grow the game in London, and the League apparently has some influence with the networks if the stories about NBC and Mike Tirico are true, but they don't try to get FOX to make this game America's Game of the Week and they don't send the A broadcast team to England.

Which is also partially the schedulers fault because Saints/Seahawks is more interesting than Washington/Bengals. Even if it's been a pretty entertaining game so far.

Also, it seems like Kenny and his partner have said the word "Redskins" about 9,467 times so far today and I blame Dan Snyder for making me notice.

How would they make a game that starts at 6:30 am on the West Coast America's Game of the Week?

If they start it at 10 am PT (6 pm London time), there would be too much competition from other games to make it feel like something special.

And they can't do 1:25 pm (9:25 pm London time).

I find it funny, though, that they never send the Green Bay Packers. Playing in London is on Aaron Rodgers' bucket list. (They would obviously have to send the Packers as a road team, since federal law prohibits Lambeau Stadium from losing a game.)

So the Packers will be without Randall Cobb, Ty Montgomery, Eddie Lacy, James Starks, and their 3 top DBs (Shields, Randall & Rollins) - wow.  This has blowout written all over it.  I'm sure FOX is thrilled they made this the featured game of the week.  Probably should have featured Seattle/New Orleans.   

Edited to add that one big factor in not sending the Packers as a road team in London is ironically because their fans travel so well, and most teams don't want to give up that revenue by not having the game in their home stadium.  There was talk of Packers @ Jacksonville being a London game this year, until Jacksonville supposedly protested loud and long.  

Edited by Calvada
responding to nowandlater

I watched part of the TNG and kept grabbing the controller to my game system to try and get them to score more points. Oh, the colors.

I happen to like Poles, pirogis, too.

Thanks to Time Warner for ruining my viewing pleasure and for keeping me away from the early game. Again, if this tie shit keeps going on, I am going to end up marrying my step sister.

I guess the Bills fans feel the same way about the Pats as I do.

nowandlater that is a good point.  I can't shake my East Coast bias and often forget a great time for me is a terrible time for people west of the Mississippi.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

That London game actually entertained me. 

Dan LeBatard's Church of Gronk must drive you right around the bend, mojoween. :) 

When will I learn to stop picking Cleveland in the pool? They've burned me twice now. 

I'm disgusted that the New England defense allowed the Bills to score 25 points. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I guess the Bills fans feel the same way about the Pats as I do.

Nope, us Bills fans hate them more! Now back to the Tom Brady tongue bath that I will try to ignore the rest of the week. Can a decent defense shut him down? Pretty please? Or he's pretty much guaranteed the MVP this season.

• Love 1

Last time there were even 2 ties in one season was 1997.   Donovan McNabb's famous "I didn't know games could end in a tie" quote came from that.   Apparently Jay Gruden went to the same football school as McNabb is because he said he didn't know that couldn't happen.

It looks like we are headed to 3 ties in one season, with 2 in one day (last time 1973 which led to the creation of overtime).   What the hell is going on with the kickers?   You literally have ONE job.    It's not like they have to learn different things depending on the play.   They have ONE play -- kick ball through uprights.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Last time there were even 2 ties in one season was 1997.   Donovan McNabb's famous "I didn't know games could end in a tie" quote came from that.   Apparently Jay Gruden went to the same football school as McNabb is because he said he didn't know that couldn't happen.

The Donovan McNabb quote came from when the Eagles tied with the Bengals in 2008. McNabb wasn't drafted until 1999. Shame on Jay Gruden; he's been around the NFL for too damn long to think that.

Edited by Popples
Added punctuation
  • Love 2

I read speculation that Gruden's quote was more like "how is it possible for ties to happen, the nature of the game is that someone should at least score one more time" not that he didn't think a game could end in a tie.  I didn't hear it myself, I only read it, so I don't know how accurate that is.

NinjaPenguins I adore everything Dan does so I forgive him that one transgression.  And the chanting at the Church of Gronk makes me laugh.  Also when Dan laughs with delight (such as when Gronk the child snickers at the possibility of his 69th TD) I love Dan more.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Oakland got another good win today and I thought they had an exciting end to their game. They are now 6-2. Even though they racked up a lot of penalties I am impressed with how they have played as a whole this season. (And especially Derek Carr, Amari Cooper, and Michael Crabtree.)

The team looks promising and I am interested in seeing how far they will go.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

Remember when people were talking about how fortunate the Colts were to be able to move from their old franchise QB (Manning) to their future one (Luck) in a single draft?

Luck may still develop into a great QB, but it's not going to happen as long as Grigson and Pagano are there. 

• Love 4

I can't decide which is most comical: a second tie in two weeks, the Raiders setting a League record for penalties, the dildo thrown on the field in Buffalo or Cleveland fans spelling "dawg pound" wrong? What a total shit show and it isn't even over yet.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

So far, Packers @ Falcon is a track meet with not much defense.  Rodgers is playing well - more on target than he's been all year.  I forgot how much he loves playing in domes.  His play in domes is a complete switch from Brett Favre.  Packers fans used to cringe when there was a dome game, because Favre was usually off his game in domes. 

8 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can't decide which is most comical: a second tie in two weeks, the Raiders setting a League record for penalties, the dildo thrown on the field in Buffalo or Cleveland fans spelling "dawg pound" wrong? What a total shit show and it isn't even over yet.

I feel like this week might emblematize this NFL season in general.

• Love 3

Wade Phillips got hit really hard on the sidelines during the Broncos/Chargers game. Melvin Gordon had ran into him and Wade was taken off in a stretcher. I hope he ends up being okay.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

I  was looking at the scores on ESPN.  In the box for Vikings @ Bears, which is the MNF game, they have as one of the players to watch Brian Hoyer.  Is he playing with that broken arm?  Isn't he on IR?  

0-16. That's where the Browns are headed.

They go up 20-7 at home against a 2-5 Jets team. Ryan Fitzpatrick has completed three (!) passes at the half. 

Yet they still found a way to lose.

• Love 5

You know.... although I really had no dog in the fight (besides our friendly nfl pool), Im glad the Falcons won today. Aaron Rodgers really rubs me the wrong way.  For one, that thing he does trying to get a "12 men on the field" penalty call is very Bill Belicheckian.  Yes its completely legal (and if my QB was doing it with as much success, I probably wouldnt be saying boo about it) but its just kind of annoying and idk....unsportsmanlike I guess the word is.   Oh and I noticed after Rodgers ran in for 2 point conversion he brought out the discount double check.  Ugg...

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Remember when people were talking about how fortunate the Colts were to be able to move from their old franchise QB (Manning) to their future one (Luck) in a single draft?

Luck may still develop into a great QB, but it's not going to happen as long as Grigson and Pagano are there. 

Luck had a bad game but he has been well worth the money they are paying him this year. 

As a Colts fan I am not worried about Luck developing into a great QB.  Much more worried about the team developing an OL, better LBers, a pass rush and a team that stops committing stupid penalties and making mistakes

Pagano and Grigson need to go but the reason has nothing to do with how Luck has played

12 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

@FuriousStyles  The Packers losing is ALWAYS a good thing. You don't have to explain detesting Aaron Rodgers, it's like breathing.

Shocker!  Unless they are playing the Giants, I never root for the Pack to lose.  Also, I like Rodgers.

• Love 3

I don't think Rodgers going to hurry up mode to get a 12 men on the field penalty is unsportsmanlike.  I'm not sure why more teams don't do it.  It's the same as d lineman jumping around trying to get o-lineman to jump, or a QB using a hard count to get the defense to jump, etc.  All just part of the game. 

The Colts don't seem to realize that their QB needs an offensive line.   Look at Dallas - do you think Prescott would have had the success he's had without that o-line? 

Does Al Michaels have money on the Cowboys?  He's been gushing over them all night, and was  a wee bit too excited about that tying touchdown. 

I've never wanted anything more than for another game to end in a tie, with the deliciousness that three of the teams are in the NFC East while the Giants rested at home.

Holy fucking hell Philly Witten was so open it's like it was still practice and the defense hadn't taken the field yet.  Goddamn you suck balls.  There goes my dream.

Edited by mojoween

I am glad that tonight's primetime game was actually an entertaining one instead of the stinkers we have been getting lately. That was another good win for Dallas.

Eagles were getting pressure on Dak throughout the game and he was making some mistakes but he hung in there and led them to victory. I look forward to seeing more  matchups between Dallas and Philly.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Was it their own record the Raiders broke?

As far as the rest of it goes, all I can say is... Breakfast of Champions, baby! :D

17ztix916jyudpng.png

• Love 3

This could be the most pissed-off I have ever been after a win.  

My QB gets his head slammed to the turf not once, but twice, during a slide -- and no fucking call??  The same happened to our running back (Spencer Ware).  

What gives with the no-calls? what's up with "one of the hardest surfaces in the NFL"* in Indianapolis?  

*runs off to find something to kick hard (hopefully a Goodell cutout)*

*some Chiefs players in the locker room, post-game

Edited by voiceover
qualifying "hardest surface" in interest of fair play, and, uh, truth?
  • Love 1

Voiceover, there is no reason Alex Smith should have been back in the game after the FIRST hit to the head.   Passed the concussion protocol my fat ass.   It's the same as with the hits on Cam in the first game of the season.   If certain QBs are breathed are on hard, they get the call.   Other QBs have to be laying on the turf wondering if they are dead before a call comes.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, voiceover said:

This could be the most pissed-off I have ever been after a win.  

My QB gets his head slammed to the turf not once, but twice, during a slide -- and no fucking call??  The same happened to our running back (Spencer Ware).  

What gives with the no-calls? what's up with "one of the hardest surfaces in the NFL"* in Indianapolis?  

*runs off to find something to kick hard (hopefully a Goodell cutout)*

*some Chiefs players in the locker room, post-game

The second one should have been a penalty, seen on the replay

First one really wasn't a late hit or a penalty.  If a QB slides right as he is about to be hit, there is not much the defender can do about it.  Luck did the same one play and I am pretty sure it wasn't called. 

I didn't see the whole game but I saw one of the replays where a guy CLEARLY dives at Cam's knees, an illegal hit according to the "brady rule".  ANd yes, the NFL play's favorites with the calls.  Otherwise how could on explain why its called the "brady rule" because he was hurt that way, instead of the "Palmer rule" when Carson Palmer experienced the exact same injury, on almost the exact same type of play, only much worse, 3 years earlier, in a playoff game no less. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Was it their own record the Raiders broke?

As far as the rest of it goes, all I can say is... Breakfast of Champions, baby! :D

17ztix916jyudpng.png

I thought the same thing too, the Raiders probably broke their own record, but no, they did not hold it before.  A number of teams had 22 penalties, one of them the Brooklyn Tigers from back in 1943, never knew that one existed. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

The Patriots have traded away LB Jamie Collins to Cleveland for a compensatory third round pick. I wonder what other moves we will see made by teams before the trade deadline tomorrow.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17935817/new-england-patriots-trade-jamie-collins-cleveland-browns-draft-pick

What?! Why?! Poor Jamie. How do you go from New England to Cleveland? He should sue for cruel and unusual punishment.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4