Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

When Michael Livieratos saw quarterback Tom Brady in a commercial for the cryptocurrency trading platform FTX, he knew exactly where he wanted to put his $30,000 crypto investment.

“As a New England Patriots fan my entire life, you can imagine the influence that Tom Brady would have,” said Livieratos, a 56-year-old legal clerk who lives in Connecticut. He soon moved nearly all his money from another crypto exchange to FTX.

I feel bad for anybody who loses money like that, but just because a football star or celebrity hawks something, it doesn't mean you should follow their advice.  They're not necessarily any smarter than the rest of us!  I wonder if Mr. Livieratos (or anybody else) did their due diligence in researching this before making the investment?  Again, I hate it for him, but it's on him for making the decision to move his money.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Seriously. Do we then start suing athletes since we don’t like the products they endorse? You are responsible for your own decisions, not some celebrity. Seems like a bunch of idiots trying to sue. I hope this lawsuit is baseless and gets thrown out, and they lose their money again in legal fees.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Man, suing athletes (or big businesses, corporations, whatever) is not my thing.  It's a waste of time.  Stuff has to be legit & respected.  And even then I would settle if I have a case (before a hearing or soon after one would start)

So there have been 19 teams that I'd say would trade with Tampa Bay in terms of success when you measure things back to 2002.  Three teams definitely (in addition to Houston) in the Jets, Browns, and Lions.  You probably could throw in Jacksonville there; the Jaguars are great in years ending in a seven.  However, they're still one of four teams without a Super Bowl appearance.  Unlike some other teams, they've been a one seed & hosted a conference title game.  Even Tennessee hasn't done that; ditto Baltimore unless they wanted to boot the Browns from the league again.

There are roughly 12 teams that wouldn't.  Maybe not all 12, but definitely Pittsburgh, New York, and New England would stay put toward their success instead of Tampa Bay's success.  I would say all the other super bowl winners would be okay with their success over the Bucs even though they just won once in the past 20 years.  It depends on several things.

The Ravens have been okay with a great defense before their offense became a threat long enough to win SB 47.  Since then, they have still remained a threat; however, they made the postseason once before a slump pre Jackson.  

The Colts: Nope.  Sure they went 1-1, but they enjoyed the Manning era.  Couldn't get it done with Luck, but they were often in the mix.

Kansas City: Not that automatic.  It's been less than very good pre-Reid.  However, they had Vermeil & Edwards & were okay.  Then disaster hit before Andy got there.  Decent success before the obvious.  Probably wouldn't swap with Tampa, but maybe just one game; that's it.

Broncos: A coin toss.  They were okay with one AFC title game in the mid 2000s before mediocrity for about a half decade.  Manning changed things for the better but since then it has been anything but good.  No playoff wins, but they did win a couple from 2005-2012.

The Eagles switching might be questionable.  They didn't win in the 2000s & they sorta took a dive before rebounding later.  It's been inconsistent, but not by much

The Giants are not switching with the Bucs.  Not really a need to for several reasons.  New York is actually responsible for the Bucs post SB playoff win drought (not completely though)

The Packers have as many superbowl apperances/wins as the team I'm mentioning below. Drew Bledsoe, Carolina, and Jacksonville didn't exist as NFL stuff the last time Green Bay didn't have something headed into Canton the second it's eligible at the most important position.

The Saints wouldn't swap with Tampa despite the history from 2002-2022.  It's more than just a division thing (if that's even a factor).  It wasn't pretty before 2006.  While falling
short in several painful ways, they've at least won quite a bit.  Furthermore, they had the QB.

The Rams MIGHT swap with Tampa.  They've had recent success, but did okay in St. Louis. Most of the success is post move back to LA.

Seattle: They've always were in the mix during the Russ era; probably could've had 2, and prior to Marshawn getting stopped at the one, I figured that they would become the sixth team of a decade instead of someone else especially since the eventual team has clinched that honor in the past.  in the 2000s they did reach SB 40 and have had a player that was good enough to win the league MVP.  The Holgrem era wasn't that bad but it was something.

I meant to post this on Tuesday based on the discussion there.  I nearly "switched" from LA to Tampa for my SB pick.  Which is cheating sorta.  While you can't count out TB12 until it's over, I think within a year we'll see Tom moving on, Bruce retiring, and Todd getting fired.

While it'll be a tough journey for the Chargers, they're actually putting stuff together.  They just need to get in, and then anything can happen

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Carey said:

The Giants are not switching with the Bucs.  Not really a need to for several reasons.

I listen to a lot of the national NFL radio shows on SiriusXM. Every time I heard a fellow Giants fan the last few years moaning and groaning about the disastrous last few years, I wanted to tell them to settle down. 

Because right before they called, some Lions fan or Browns fan had just called in to talk about whatever their team was up to at the moment.  

The Giants have won four Lombardi trophies since their 1986 season. That is more than every other team not named the Patriots. We don't get to do the "woe is me" thing. We can be pissed off about the current direction of things, but in perspective, there are SO many teams with fan bases who have nothing.

And yes @Carey, I agree with that list. Regardless of how many down years the Bucs have had, their fans get to walk into whatever trophy room they have in the stadium and see these:

image.png.89a969495f4604c15725c7e654971156.png

• Applause 3
  • Love 1

Bummer for KM. But he and KK have been bad news since they got here. I hope AZ finds a way to move on from both of them.

Happy for Brock Purdy, but still mourning my sweet, swarthy Jimmy G. 

Also, I have, in fact, wondered if Derek Carr uses a lash serum.

If you're a fan of a team long enough, you will experience all the emotions.  I am in my sixth decade of watching football, a lifelong Packers fan, and I've seen championships that were glorious, playoff losses that were devastating, and losing seasons that were agonizing.  And it's just another thing that makes me feel old, since in my family there are young Packers fans who have known a lot of winning seasons in their lifetime who are losing their minds over the Packers most likely missing the playoffs and want to fire everyone from the GM to the Head Coach to various players.  My reaction:  lighten up, Francis.   Simmer down, look at the big picture.  Don't be the bandwagon guy, support your team in good times and bad.  

Those who rely on a professional athlete's (or any celebrity's) commercials to make personal financial decisions deserve what they get. Realize they are getting PAID to advocate for a product.  Years ago, some actress (possibly Cybill Shepherd?) who was doing commercials for Clairol hair color admitted that her hairdresser used Clairol on one lock of her hair at the nape of her neck underneath all the rest of her hair, just so she could say she used the product.  I'm sure Tom Brady had some small sum invested in the cryptocurrency business but he wasn't putting every penny he had into it.  What he invested was for him probably the equivalent of me dropping a couple singles in the red donation bucket outside the grocery store last night - in other words, a drop in the bucket.  

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Calvada said:

If you're a fan of a team long enough, you will experience all the emotions.  I am in my sixth decade of watching football, a lifelong Packers fan, and I've seen championships that were glorious, playoff losses that were devastating, and losing seasons that were agonizing.  And it's just another thing that makes me feel old, since in my family there are young Packers fans who have known a lot of winning seasons in their lifetime who are losing their minds over the Packers most likely missing the playoffs and want to fire everyone from the GM to the Head Coach to various players.  My reaction:  lighten up, Francis.   Simmer down, look at the big picture.  Don't be the bandwagon guy, support your team in good times and bad.  

Packers fans should be more bummed out about the fact that they've had either Favre or Rodgers as their starting QB for the past 30 years and have somehow managed only two SB wins and three trips total.  Sure, that's not bad in the grand scheme of things, but somehow you'd expect more if you had the QB position locked down with HOFers for that long. 

• Wink 2
On 12/14/2022 at 7:04 AM, merylinkid said:

Although Parker could have taken himself out of the game.   He knew he wasn't right but kept trying to line up anyway.

Being concussed can lead to confusion and poor decision making because of that confusion.  Parker openly thanked his teammate in an Instagram Story post for taking care of him and blasting the NFL for not catching it so I do not believe, at that moment, he had his bearings and knew he should come out . 

23 hours ago, twoods said:

Do we then start suing athletes since we don’t like the products they endorse? You are responsible for your own decisions, not some celebrity. Seems like a bunch of idiots trying to sue. I hope this lawsuit is baseless and gets thrown out, and they lose their money again in legal fees.

It sounds like there are different rules for endorsing things like crypto because of how it functions.  They didn't just endorse crypto as a concept but specific "currencies."

Plugging crypto has different implications than, say, endorsing a sports drink or athletic wear, Charles Whitehead, professor at Cornell Law School, told CNN after the November FTX suit.

“Selling an asset that is a financial instrument … is not the same thing as selling sneakers,” Whitehead said. “All these celebrities who are running around and doing these sorts of sponsorships should stop and ask a securities lawyer.”

And here's another article about it.

Edited by Irlandesa
5 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Also, I have, in fact, wondered if Derek Carr uses a lash serum.

Same.  I don't always think Derek is beautiful (David, however, always is), but his lash game is on point.

Ah, Jimmy:

jimmy-garoppolo-getty-ftr-011922_64q3vx4

Come to me, my darling, I'll make it all better.

I broke down and had McDonald's for dinner on Tuesday, so I'm going to sue Michael Jordan because his endorsement of it in the '90s when I was so impressionable was the root cause of my weak will on Tuesday.  And also because he's a big poo.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Time for the week 15 picks. I think I only got 4 right last week. Here we go:

49ers* vs Seahawks
Colts vs Vikings*

Ravens vs Browns*
Dolphins vs Bills*
Eagles* vs Bears 
Lions* vs Jets 
Steelers* vs Panthers 
Chiefs* vs Texans 

Falcons vs Saints*
Cowboys vs Jaguars*
Cardinals vs Broncos  
Patriots vs Raiders   
Titans vs Chargers 
Bengals Boozer vs Buccaneers

Giants vs Commanders 
Rams
vs Packers 

My laptop is going nuts. I start typing a word and a different word pops in. For example, see the Bengals vs Buccaneers prediction.

going to see if it keep oon doing this will dI'm. Also the cursor jumps all over the place. 

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

If there's ever a game San Francisco can/will drop, it's tonight.  However, it just feels like one of those games that they will survive and escape, especially if I pick against them.  Deebo got hurt 4 days ago, road game against the division, rookie QB vs Pete Carroll.  Everything says pick the Seahawks.

However, SF is just rolling, but them losing will not be a surprise.  I do think Seattle will cover but they might've come back down to earth.  If the 49ers win, it'll have to be close if the above factors play out.  The under hits as SF gets closer to their first NFC West title in 3 years

On 12/14/2022 at 7:23 PM, Carey said:

So there have been 19 teams that I'd say would trade with Tampa Bay in terms of success when you measure things back to 2002.

They might want to trade with The Bucs because of 2 Super Bowl wins, but it was a hell of a ride getting to both of those championships, and you had to be a die-hard fan to go through the heartache of watching them for 40+ years!!  We never, ever, jumped off the pirate ship/bandwagon though!! Again, I feel for the fans of teams who struggle.  I feel your pain.   

#54 for San Francisco is so very extremely good-looking and I refuse to google anything about him so as not to be a total gross Mrs. Robinson.

NFL if you do not do something about these ridiculous taunting calls I will do nothing at all about it except bitch in the moment and then forget about until the next time it happens.

• LOL 1

Mr. Irrelevant is doing very well for the Niners so far. I’m sure he will get clobbered when he faces a tough defense, but he does play against a pretty good one in practice that probably helps. I hate the Niners but good for him.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Well the Niners are the second team into the postseason but the first of 8 division winners.  As for having Mac, whatever their total SB wins turn out to be, it would've been twice as many with Jones on the team.  That's too bad they ended up with Lance

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It sounds like there are different rules for endorsing things like crypto because of how it functions.  They didn't just endorse crypto as a concept but specific "currencies."

Yep.  There is way more to it than a thread about football warrants delving into, but comparing an athlete or any other celebrity's endorsement of a product to their endorsement of a currency misses most of it.  And if they fail to disclose their own financial interest in the currency they're promoting, they can ask Kim Kardashian how much that's going to cost them in fines by the SEC, regardless of what happens to the inevitable lawsuits by investors.

Tonight's game went the way I expected it to, unfortunately.  And I'm going to wake up with muscle pain from how often my hands twitched with the desire to yank that cap off the head of the 49ers coach and curve its damn bill.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Niners clinch the NFC West. They are very impressive, have a great defense and are very complete. Purdy has done very well at QB. I don’t trust the Seahawks at all and I think they are collapsing. 

The Real Geno Smith has returned.  It just took a little bit longer than expected

With San Francisco's win last night to clinch the NFC West, the Titans (if not the Jaguars) have the honor of hosting them in 2023. Meanwhile in the NFC, A Vikings/Niners game should take place next season, along with an NFC South game likely vs Tampa or Carolina.

Whether Dallas catches Philadelphia isn't that meaningful, as San Francisco is scheduled to face both the Cowboys and Eagles next year.

As for this season, the 49ers could become the first 3 seed to host a divisional round game as I see the Vikings being the first 2 seed to lose right away.  I don't think the AFC 2 seed to fall into that category if it's Buffalo, Kansas City, or Cincinnati.  On the other hand, the 49ers could pass Minnesota for the 2 spot.  I doubt they'll catch Philly, and even if they did, it would or might benefit Dallas before San Francisco

13 hours ago, Carey said:

The Real Geno Smith has returned.  It just took a little bit longer than expected

Not sure what to make of Geno, honestly. I still think he's playing well enough for a team to invest in for a couple of years. SF can make any QB look bad this year, and statswise Geno wasn't disastrous last night. If Seattle doesn't pay him somebody will.

Seattle currently holds the #2 pick from Denver so they'd naturally be in a position to draft a franchise QB if they like the #2 guy.  I don't think it's the worst idea to pay Geno starting QB rates AND draft a QB at #2.  Try to replicate the Alex Smith/Mahomes dynamic. Assuming Geno wants to be a part of that.

On 12/15/2022 at 8:13 AM, JTMacc99 said:

The Giants have won four Lombardi trophies since their 1986 season. That is more than every other team not named the Patriots. We don't get to do the "woe is me" thing. We can be pissed off about the current direction of things, but in perspective, there are SO many teams with fan bases who have nothing.

As one who suffered through the incredibly masochistic experience of being a Giants fan in the 1970s (Miracle at the Meadowlands, anyone?), and was mostly, albeit pleasantly, shocked at the success Bill Parcells brought to the franchise, I reserve the right to woe is me whenever I damn well please.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Looks like I might not have my picks ready for Sunday, but I do have my Saturday material complete:

Colts/Vikings
Minnesota favored 3.5
47.5 O/U
Vikings and over

Ravens/Browns
Cleveland favored 2.5
38.5 O/U
Browns & over

Dolphins/Bills
Buffalo favored by 7
43.5 O/U
Buffalo covers & under

The Vikings probably might want to win this game with a surging Niners team.  Though I don't think San Francisco passing them is a big deal (as I don't need to see Vikings get killed at Lincoln Financial Field for...oh I've lost count).  Not sure they'd need to win out since I hardly thing Detroit will win out.

The Saturday AFC North Matchup is pretty much a toss.  I'd have said the same thing with Lamar in the game.

I might no longer consider Buffalo in the top tier if they lose at home to a team from South Beach in December

On 12/15/2022 at 10:32 PM, Bastet said:

Yep.  There is way more to it than a thread about football warrants delving into, but comparing an athlete or any other celebrity's endorsement of a product to their endorsement of a currency misses most of it.  And if they fail to disclose their own financial interest in the currency they're promoting, they can ask Kim Kardashian how much that's going to cost them in fines by the SEC, regardless of what happens to the inevitable lawsuits by investors.

Tonight's game went the way I expected it to, unfortunately.  And I'm going to wake up with muscle pain from how often my hands twitched with the desire to yank that cap off the head of the 49ers coach and curve its damn bill.

There are a couple of ways I can see this going. One is a defense based upon indemnification provisions in celebrities' contractuals; i.e., the celebrity is not liable for the performance of the asset, etc. The second, which may be the way the plaintiff could go, is if endorsement of the currency constitutes investment advice. There are.SEC regulations around investment management/advice and I'm guessing none of the celebrities are licensed investment advisors.

10 hours ago, Carey said:

Looks like I might not have my picks ready for Sunday, but I do have my Saturday material complete:

Colts/Vikings
Minnesota favored 3.5
47.5 O/U
Vikings and over

Ravens/Browns
Cleveland favored 2.5
38.5 O/U
Browns & over

Dolphins/Bills
Buffalo favored by 7
43.5 O/U
Buffalo covers & under

The Vikings probably might want to win this game with a surging Niners team.  Though I don't think San Francisco passing them is a big deal (as I don't need to see Vikings get killed at Lincoln Financial Field for...oh I've lost count).  Not sure they'd need to win out since I hardly thing Detroit will win out.

The Saturday AFC North Matchup is pretty much a toss.  I'd have said the same thing with Lamar in the game.

I might no longer consider Buffalo in the top tier if they lose at home to a team from South Beach in December

The Vikings need to win today, plus the three remaining games. We should be able to win these games, but we should have been able to beat Detroit,  too. Even though there is weakness in the defense and the offensive line, I think they need heightened mental focus more to win the final games than increase physical ability. Vikings know how to win games, they just need to do it.

But I don't think we'll win the division. At most two playoff games, depending on how teams are seeded. We need to keep the #2 seed. 

Thank goodness Vikings stopped Colts in the red zone, but I wish they wouldn't let the Colts get so far downfield. Stop celebrating after a sack or stopped play and wait until Vikings can make Colts go 3 and out in the Colts' own territory.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

But I don't think we'll win the division. At most two playoff games, depending on how teams are seeded. We need to keep the #2 seed. 

I think Minnesota is definitely winning the division.  I don't know about the 2 seed; it might be a struggle for the Vikings down the stretch.  However, Detroit has to win each of their final 4 games including one at MetLife.  Salah has owned Goff; Detroit isn't great on the road outside, and the Jets are actually very good this year

• Like 1

Now why can't Vikings defense play in the other 80 yards of the field like they do in the red zone? They stopped the running back just fine but we should have been stopping the running game like that all over the field, not only close to the end zone.

Donatell is getting a lot of criticism here for how the defense is playing. Some are getting nostalgic for a Zimmer defense.

12 minutes ago, Carey said:

I think Minnesota is definitely winning the division.  I don't know about the 2 seed; it might be a struggle for the Vikings down the stretch.  However, Detroit has to win each of their final 4 games including one at MetLife.  Salah has owned Goff; Detroit isn't great on the road outside, and the Jets are actually very good this year

I meant the conference, not the division. Eagles are definitely winning the NFC.

As a fan of a team that blew out the Colts but got beaten by the Vikings, I am confused.

Anyway, there are tons of tweets around about how absolutely buried in snow Buffalo is right now ahead of the Dolphins visiting for tonight's game.

The call on that non-touchdown by Vikings' defense didn't make sense. I thought forward progress applied to passing, not to a receiver. The guy wasn't down.

But I think I saw some holding as the defender went in for the touchdown. So it might have been called back anyway.

21 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I meant the conference, not the division. Eagles are definitely winning the NFC.

Gotcha.  Regular season NFC for sure, but in the postseason we'll see.  They're stacked, but anything's possible.  Can't count out Brady, but despite that, Dallas and San Francisco are the only teams I can see knocking off the Eagles.  I have to give Washington a nod since they actually beat them (only to do so this year), but I think Philadelphia is too good to lose to them twice.  Whenever someone drops a game, it's usually a gift since they can easily fix the error that was present earlier in the year

4 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

The call on that non-touchdown by Vikings' defense didn't make sense. I thought forward progress applied to passing, not to a receiver. The guy wasn't down.

But I think I saw some holding as the defender went in for the touchdown. So it might have been called back anyway.

Forward progress applies on any offensive player with the ball if they are stopped or going backward play is over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Fukui San said:

As a fan of a team that blew out the Colts but got beaten by the Vikings, I am confused.

Anyway, there are tons of tweets around about how absolutely buried in snow Buffalo is right now ahead of the Dolphins visiting for tonight's game.

Saw that on the Weather Channel this morning. Tailgating in the snow, already piling up. 

• Like 1

I checked and I see Thielen got a touchdown. Good for him! I name a lamb after him each year, whichever one has tag #19.

Yes! Wait a minute. Am I hallucinating? The score after Jefferson's touchdown says 36-21. I thought it already was 36-21 before the touchdown. 

I have to look at the Vikings app again.

OK, the Vikings app says we have 28 points. ??????

TV still says 36-21.

• LOL 1