Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I could be totally misremembering, but wasn't Siefert on Walsh's staff?

I think he was on Bill Walsh's staff when the 49ers were doing very well in the 80's. Man, they could sure use him right about now. 

Maybe, the Chargers will show me some pride for a change in their pathetic season by beating the Browns today. For some reason, I'm more nervous about that game than the Bills game last week. I need a reason to give a damn about Browns-Steelers next week.

Edited by Magog

I feel badly for Mariota and I was really hoping Tennessee could somehow come out on top of the division.

The Bills and Jets both lost in disproportionately terrible ways.

Also, the Pack just may be back.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

I hope Derek Carr's injury isn't as serious as it looks. He looked to be in a lot of pain. Him and the Raiders have been playing so well today against Indy and it seemed like they were ready to try and make some noise in the playoffs. I hope he ends up being okay.

Edited by Jx223

Colts lose and Derek Carr injured, out for the playoffs. 

Colts just missed the playoffs for second year in a row and pretty much gave NE a clear path to the SB.  Nice job

Getting harder and harder to root for such a poorly managed and run team

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Carr's ankle is a break.  Motherfuck.

The Raiders were my hope to upend the damn Patriots.  Who's his backup?  Someone good?

Fibula fracture, done until next season. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73

It's unfortunate to hear that news about Derek Carr's injury. I wish him a healthy recovery. He is such a good leader for that team. When he gets injured it seems like the air gets sucked out of the stadium. People realize how important he is to that team. I hope his backup Matt will play well and lead Oakland as far as he can in the playoffs.

Also, there were some exciting/interesting finishes today. Miami did a good job getting the win against Buffalo and helping their playoff chances. The Browns finally wins a game and them, the 49ers and the Cardinals were excited about their wins even though none of them are making the playoffs. They have all had rough seasons and I think these wins are bringing them a little positivity as the season comes to a close.

The Saints playoff hopes are still technically alive with their win and I am interested in seeing if the Bucs get a wild Card. Also, Atlanta now has the #2 seed in the NFC and Seattle moves to #4 seed. The Giants are also now in the playoffs.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Hauschka should not have missed the PAT but there is nothing saying the Seahawks D wouldn't have played exactly the same and the Cards would have won by two instead of three.  I am not putting the loss on him, unlike some in the media I have already seen say this.

Man, what a crap Christmas for Carr and Mariota.

Tyler Lockette can join them in the hospital.  Maybe the NFL can get a group discount.

Edited by mojoween

What a bad break for the Derek Carr & the Raiders. A possible magical season in the works (though I don't think they can beat the Patriots) & he goes down like that. How very sad. I also feel terrible for Marcus Mariota & Tyler Lockett for their injuries. 

I'm starting to think that a Patriots - Cowboys Super Bowl is possibly inevitable. And that would irritate me because I don't want Jerry Jones anywhere near another Super Bowl or ESPN sucking up to them (like they do now) & openly rooting for them in the big game. I also don't want to deal with Tony Romo being there & people acting he was part of the reason why the Cowboys are there.

No team should have to live with 0-16 so I'm happy for the Browns.

Speaking of irritating, I had to calm down for the past couple of hours after seeing the Chargers fall flat on their face & gave the Browns their first victory. Rarely, do I get mad after watching NFL games because I don't have a team to root for. But, I was infuriated that the Chargers, Phillip Rivers, & their awful kicker basically showed no sense of pride or any heart (like their season overall) in laying an egg against the Browns. I had a bad feeling about this game & the Chargers proved me right. What a bunch of losers & that coach (whoever that idiot is) should be fired for this. I hope those losers enjoy being irrelevant in Los Angeles next season because I'm certain that the fans there will not tolerate this garbage. You can ask Jeff Fisher about that.

Now there is no reason to even watch Browns - Steelers next Sunday. Heck, I don't see a lot of meaningful games next Sunday. 

I can't imagine how Rod Marinelli feels. Him & the 2008 Detroit Lions are still all alone on top in NFL futility.

Edited by Magog

Now there is no reason to even watch Browns - Steelers next Sunday. Heck, I don't see a lot of meaningful games next Sunday. 

Come on now, you can't tell me you are not excited to see Matt Cassell battle Tom Savage for the AFC south Crown?  First team to 9 wins gets in the playoffs!!! 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I said the Browns would find some way to mess up the 1st pick in the draft.   

hehehehehehe, against the Chargers.    Who really have to leave town now.

But they didn't thanks to the 49ers winning later on!

So the Browns are still in line to win the 2016 Draft Championship!

Come on now, you can't tell me you are not excited to see Matt Cassell battle Tom Savage for the AFC south Crown?  First team to 9 wins gets in the playoffs!!! 

The Texans just won so that upcoming game means nothing. It probably wouldn't of been worth a damn anyway. Besides, the only good thing about that game is that its nap-inducing. I'm sure that the Patriots are licking their chops over the ass whopping that they're going to give to the Texans.

BTW, the Hawaii Bowl that I'm watching right now is more exciting than the Bengals - Texans suckfest that it was.

Edited by Magog
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Magog said:

I'm sure that the Patriots are licking their chops over the ass whopping that they're going to give to the Texans.

That game's like Old Home Week.  Crennel, Vrabel (LB coach), big Vince, I'm not sure who else.

• Love 1

I never cared for the Raiders but I couldn't help rooting for them this season- they looked like they were having so much fun and Carr has stepped up big time to be their leader. What a terrible blow to him and the team. I was looking forward to them possibly revenging that ridiculous tuck rule against the Patriots. Maybe their defense can carry them in the playoffs. 

• Love 2

I wonder if the NFL said "Hey Pitt, Baltimore, KC and Denver, everyone else is working on Christmas Eve or Monday and you guys are working Christmas and that's that" or do you think they asked for teams to volunteer first?

One thing about Christmas is that really the morning is the important time but that's not much help to the road teams.

Oh God, I was looking forward to Derek Carr in the playoffs, and now it looks like the Super Bowl will be a battle of the Crazy Sh!@#thouse Rats of Jones vs. the Devil Incarnates in a Hoodie Bellicheks!  Go Packers, let's have a miracle in the New Year.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Magog said:

The Texans just won so that upcoming game means nothing. It probably wouldn't of been worth a damn anyway. Besides, the only good thing about that game is that its nap-inducing. I'm sure that the Patriots are licking their chops over the ass whopping that they're going to give to the Texans.

BTW, the Hawaii Bowl that I'm watching right now is more exciting than the Bengals - Texans suckfest that it was.

Yes, the Texans have "clinched" the pitiful AFC south that no one seems to want. 

Even the Texans did not seem to want it last night, the bengals gave it to them. 

I will be shocked if they win their first round game against whatever WC team they face.  They are not going to be facing the Patriots, they'd have to win a game in the WC round first, vs probably KC

I am not a raiders fan at all, never have been.  I grew up disliking them.  I feel awful for what happened to Carr though.  The raider nation resurgence was one of the few good stories in the league this year. 

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:56 PM, mojoween said:

Also, the Pack just may be back.

Pack will make some noise in the playoffs only if their defense plays a lot better than it has.  They won't be playing Chicago, Philly, etc. in the playoffs. They really miss Sam Shields.  But Clay Matthews looked like he might be feeling better. 

Why can't it be snowing in KC instead of this rain?  Would love to have a snow game to cap off Christmas weekend!  And why hasn't some genius out there invented something to keep rain off the camera lens? 

• Love 1

That was another very good win for Kansas City. And now because of that Miami has gotten into the playoffs. It's unfortunate for Denver they won't be going to the playoffs this year after winning the Super Bowl last season. But I think they will try and start to fix the issues on their team in the offseason.

The Steelers also got a good win against the Ravens today. Antonio Brown did a good job getting them the game winning touchdown at the end of that game. 

Edited by Jx223

Both teams that played in the Super Bowl last year completely missed the playoffs this year.   The Broncos didn't really look like they wanted to win today.  If they sign Romo in the off season, for sure, Elway is not the genius every thought he was.    

You know Belichek is game planning to stop a Poe as QB play right now.   

AFC is set.   Only thing up for grabs in the NFC is the NFC North and the 2nd wild card spot.

I think that this is shaping to be an interesting and entertaining playoffs. I am content with most  the teams that have made it/are probably going to make it. I am interested in seeing the final group for the NFC looks like.

Washington might be the team that ends up sneaking into the playoffs and getting the last WC spot for the NFC. It looks like they will be in if Dallas beats Detroit and then Washington beats the Giants next week. Both of those things could happen and if they do they would have a better record than whoever loses in the Lions/Packers matchup.

Tampa Bay may be one of the teams that narrowly misses the playoffs. They need to have more things go right for them than some of the other teams that are still trying to get in.

This Dallas/Detroit game looks like it may end up being a shootout. Neither defense is playing very well so far. Especially Dallas. I think their defense has been performing better than expected this year. But they aren't playing that well so far tonight. They don't look like they are really trying that much. They have to be careful or else the Lions will keep scoring on them.

Edited by Jx223
7 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

They always start a bit rough.   Then settle down.   I now have a ritual about tweeting out for the Defense to settle down.   

At least David Irving is doing some nice things. But I don't like how they have been looking as a whole tonight so far. Hopefully they will play better in the second half. 

I was watching a Game of Thrones marathon which ended so I figured I would turn the game on.  Halftime was just ending and I was like well it's tied let's see what happens.  

Detroit - penalty, interception, penalty, penalty, Dallas TD.

Fuck that noise, I'll watch GoT episodes that I just watched on HBO2 that are now airing on HBO3.

I'm sure the ESPN app will keep me updated on the score.

Edited by mojoween

Detroit must be looking ahead to Green Bay. Which, if so, is stupid. You can clinch a safety net of sorts in the event the Packers are unstoppable.  Furthermore, there's a chance Detroit can clinch a bye (which is not completely in their control but still)

I am glad that Dallas defense showed up in the second half. I think that momentum swung for the Cowboys once they got the interception from Matt Stafford.

Dak  and Zeke once again had very good performances and Dez played great. I liked that he threw a TD pass in addition to catching some TDs. This was another very good team win for Dallas.

Even though they lost tonight Detroit still has a shot of making the playoffs. They still have a shot of getting in even if they lose next week to Green Bay. (If Washington/Tampa Bay also loses.) Maybe both them and Green Bay will end up making it in.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

They are not putting Romo in.   He last played a meaningful game in November 2015.    He got hurt in the preseason, his first game back.   He is too fragile.   He is only still on the active roster so Jones can claim he got an SB ring (if they get one, which even *I* don't have that much faith) with Romo.   Except well, it won't be Romo who got the ring.

Was I right about the D needing time to settle down?

7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Packers lost last year's winner-takes-division game, I don't think they're going to lose this year's. Too bad, the Lions would've made a good story.

Anybody think we'll see Romo next week?

I could see the Packers beating the Lions next week. But maybe the Lions will get in if Washington loses to the Giants. Though I could also see Washington beating the Giants. I didn't want them to beat the Cowboys tonight but I would be happy for Lions if they somehow made it in.

I'm not sure if we will see Romo next week. I believe that the Cowboys have said they want to continue to play their starters. I do think it might be a good idea to give Tony some reps. Maybe they can let him play in the second half or if they get a big lead like they did tonight. They could play him and let him knock off some rust and limit the possibility of Dak getting injured before the postseason begins.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

They are not putting Romo in.   He last played a meaningful game in November 2015.    He got hurt in the preseason, his first game back.   He is too fragile.   He is only still on the active roster so Jones can claim he got an SB ring (if they get one, which even *I* don't have that much faith) with Romo.   Except well, it won't be Romo who got the ring.

Was I right about the D needing time to settle down?

Yes and I am glad they got into a good groove in the second half. I was concerned in the first half, they were looking too lackadaisical on plays. But I am glad they stepped up and helped the Cowboys get back in the game and ultimately dominate it in the second half.

I do feel like overall this defense has actually been underrated this season and has been doing enough to help the team win games. I hope they continue to step up and help the team. I am also glad to see David Irving step up in these last couple of games and have a nice impact for the team. 

I thought overall this was a very good effort by this team.  I think this was their best effort of the season.

Edited by Jx223

In this Thanksgiving Bowl, you'd think Detroit was relaxing for January and Dallas needed the game tonight for a shot at January.  What a shame, since the Lions have a short week vs a team with a lot of momentum in Green Bay, who has a long week heading into Sunday

I don't think we'll see Romo, but if that's the case, maybe Mark Sanchez can do something.  I don't know what they'll do if Dak gets unlucky on Sunday.  Personally, I think they'll be fine against anyone but New England, if Prescott goes down.  But I think it's the end of the road for Tony.  He would get hurt with a half of garbage time, so it's pointless to use him at all

• Love 1

I was hoping this would be like that end of season Giants/Pats game where no one gave the Giants a chance but then they played their hearts out and gave them such a run for their money that even though they lost, they came so close that it heartened them to go into the playoffs with crazy good momentum and they beat every big dog NFC team in the playoffs so that when they got to the SB it was a rematch with the Pats who they weren't scared of anymore and they had beaten the odds for the last 3 weeks so that while no one else believed in them, they believed in themselves. I loved Michael Strahan's quote of 'Is this it?' When they realized in the second half that the Pats defense they were seeing was it. The Giants had cleared that Pats aura mental hurdle.

The Lions could've had something like that going for them with this game since Dallas is the Goliath in this conference. Putting on a good performance even if they lost would've fired them up good to beat GB and go into the playoffs and knock Dallas in the teeth for a surprise KO.

I mean I love my Giants but if we can beat Dallas twice in a season, they're beatable and another team can do the same.

Who does Brady want to face? Eli or Dak? I think Dak. Although can you imagine the ratings for the third Giants/Pats SB? Part of me wants Eli to get his third crack at Brady to cement that monkey on his back and every time Tom sees Eli flashing this 3 rings he knows that they could've been his. But I can also see Tom finally getting his revenge. He'd probably start sobbing in the middle of the field like LeBron. 

But if Eli/Giants were to pull it off all his critics need to kick rocks about him falling into those rings. He earned them-albeit with sometimes crazy inconsistent play and a lot of interceptions. He put the points on the board to win and the defense kept the other side from out scoring. Team effort. And as much as I adore Peyton, Eli getting his 3rd ring so he can tease 'Unless you come out of retirement....you not? Oh, well. Guess I'll be the only Three time SB champion in the family' would be hilarious.

• Love 3