Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I hope the next CBA negotiations are so contentious (since it was *idiotic* to give Goodell so much authority over discipline, for one) that the season is completely canceled and people just go and do other things. The NFL isn't fundamental to the fabric of society. 

Personally I only watch college football during the bowls because I find the way they play defense to be...lacking.

And while I have no problem watching Jacksonville play Tennessee on a Thursday night, I have less than zero interest in watching, say, Akron vs. Bowling Green.

I would miss the NFL. A lot.

Huh, ESPN apparently thinks speculation on where RGIII will go to play as a backup is worthy of more coverage than the fact that the owners tried to take $150 million from the players. 

Imagine that!

I listened to an interview with an NFLPA exec and he said that the union actually pointed out the "error" to the league prior to the mediation process and the league refused to budge.

• Love 1

I in no way think college football can replace the NFL.

The NFLPA has themselves to blame for Goodell. Yes, he is bad and has his faults, but you can't give him so much authority in the CBA and then complain about it later. If you cared so much and hate his control so much, fight it in the CBA rather than just spending all your time squeezing out all the money you can.

I wasnt aware of this back then, but for someone who was...was the Dr. pretty well known as the person involved with the "Manning incident" when it actually happened in 1996? Because if so, Peyton doesnt have to mention her by name in his book. Everybody is gonna know who he's talking about.

And yes I dont expect an organization to hire private investigators for every little thing. But when ONE employee brings up 30+ allegations, one of which is against your star player then yes I expect them to take THAT particular situation more seriously.

The same way I expect them to hire outside investigators because of the current lawsuit against them, especially with the media attention.

And we dont know what either Manning did or didnt do. Im not saying Peyton or Archie called up the Florida school and said hey, you need to fire this person or whatever. But I have no idea what they did behind closed doors.

What I do know is Peyton is the one who's violated the terms of the settlement. It sounds like that situation was dead and buried and HE chose to dredge it back up. For what?

It was known she was the one involved well before Manning put it in his book. And for that reason I still seriously question if that is why she was fired. I don't know why you would be fired somewhere else for making an allegation like this years before and for Peyton Manning basically not liking you and calling you bad names.

As for the allegations, I would argue the opposite. When someone makes over 30 allegations and you find evidence to support only about 10% of them, and in fact it seems she was not completely innocent herself in all those incidents, the tendency tends to be you have someone that overreacts and reports everything, so it gets downplayed when they do report something. This likely played into why her allegation was not taken more seriously against manning. The school has to do at least some investigating on its own into what is happening, it would like bad otherwise. You can't just say yes she made all these claims, so we didn't check ourselves but let someone else do the work for us. That would look bad to, or could be spun that way. The NFL did this was Deflategate. They hand it over to an outside group, then the accusation is well the NFL was paying them for the job, so the "independent" group is just telling them what they want to here. You can spin it whatever way you like whether its an independent or internal investigation.

Plus as pointed out, not her only lawsuit. Judge actually stated in a later case, quoted in the links provided, she seems to make serial allegations and sue not always based on fact. this seems consistent as well with the information of so few of her allegations having much evidence to support them.

Why he put her in the book, I have no idea. However if the new reports are true and she accused him of cheating 2 years before and this was one of the 90% of her claims found not to have evidence to support her, he probably just didn't like her. Falsely accusing someone of academic fraud is not anything to be taken lightly at a University. My guess is these are two people that just didn't like each other but had to work together, he went way over the line in an attempt at retribution in the incident in question.

• Love 1

I in no way think college football can replace the NFL.

The NFLPA has themselves to blame for Goodell. Yes, he is bad and has his faults, but you can't give him so much authority in the CBA and then complain about it later. If you cared so much and hate his control so much, fight it in the CBA rather than just spending all your time squeezing out all the money you can.

But that's the problem. The players didn't give him all this leeway. He just took it (along with $150 million)

That's why the NFLPA (and potentially Tom Brady) have kicked his ass in every recent mediation/court case.

• Love 2

I'm not saying people wouldn't miss the NFL. I wouldn't. But, I don't think there's going to be clutching of pearls and tearing of hair in the streets either. After 3,4 months I just think people would get over it, and find other things to do on Sundays. 

• Love 1

I hope the next CBA negotiations are so contentious (since it was *idiotic* to give Goodell so much authority over discipline, for one) that the season is completely canceled and people just go and do other things. The NFL isn't fundamental to the fabric of society.

I believe the next CBA isn't due for another five years. Everything could look completely different then. 

I wonder if college football has become so huge and NFL-minor-league-ish that it would do a better job of filling that void these days. Not completely, of course, but still....

The ratings for college football's playoff games this year tanked, largely due to stupid scheduling. Also, college football remains largely a regional sport, however much ESPN tries to push it to a mini-NFL. There are only a few programs that can draw big national viewership numbers.

Personally I only watch college football during the bowls because I find the way they play defense to be...lacking.

There are over a hundred FBS (high major) college football teams. They have different offenses, different defenses. There is actually way more variety in playing styles than there is in the NFL.

Yes, the owners and players and Goodell are all a bunch of greedy bitches. Yes, it's probably a microcosm of everything that's wrong with our society today. Etc, etc. But I still love the NFL all the same.

I can concede that there are so many varieties of teams in college, and I just don't find most of it that interesting to watch on a regular basis. I follow the stories though throughout the season.

Obviously we aren't privy to what has been discussed with Robert from Washington in private, but I find what has been put out there to be so shameful, to treat him that way.

• Love 2

Apparently the Manning accusations have also surfaced in the current Tennessee lawsuit over what happened to a player who helped an alleged rape victim.    Which is stupid because Manning had nothing to do with it.   But also, it brought out more information about Dr. Nauright.   Like she claimed to be an informant for the FBI in NJ.   Except that office told the cops that they told her to stop calling them.   So yeah a sensationalist who exaggerates her own importance.   Now I get why her settlement with the school involved all that championship swag.

Edited by merylinkid

Watching the NFL combine right now.  I started watching last year and became fascinated with it.  I know some of the sportswriters and commentators think it's a waste, but I like to watch to see the skills that the coaches are looking for (i.e., how the football sausage is made).  The O-line guys are on now, and it's funny watching 6'5", 300+ guys (I call 'em Baby Hueys) galloping down the track doing the 40-yard dash.  Contrast that with the wide receivers who'll be sprinting like the wind.  But the best part of all is listening to Mike Mayock and Rick Eisen making wisecracks all day. 

A new witness popped up to corroborate Peyton Manning's description of the mooning incident at UT, and now there are allegations that Jamie has been calling news agencies and Manning's parents to curse them out and threaten to release documents. I wonder if they can get their money back on the non-disclosure settlement they signed. Weirder and weirder:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-jamie-naughright-1996-incident-greg-johnson-voicemail

A new witness popped up to corroborate Peyton Manning's description of the mooning incident at UT, and now there are allegations that Jamie has been calling news agencies and Manning's parents to curse them out and threaten to release documents. I wonder if they can get their money back on the non-disclosure settlement they signed. Weirder and weirder:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-jamie-naughright-1996-incident-greg-johnson-voicemail

And now somebody is disputing that that witness was there.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/14892241/former-tennessee-football-player-presence-peyton-manning-training-room-incident-not-corroborated-documents-witness

(edited)

You'd think the NFL would have put something in place, like a do's and don'ts of topics you just shouldnt broach. Do the people conducting the interviews think any gay athlete would actually tell them the truth?

Peyton to announce his retirement tomorrow. I dont know if he had much of a choice (the Broncos were moving on and maybe no other competitive team wanted him) but I think he's making the right decision. Go out on a fairytale.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not official yet, but the Broncos have announced Peyton Manning is retiring.  

So glad he is retiring.   The will he or won't he was getting a little Favresqe.   Peyton's body was done.   time to hang up so he can enjoy watching his kids grow up.

the NFL shouldn't have to put out a list.  They call the Combina a job interview -- well, guess what there are already a bunch of prohibited questions in job interviews.    So the coaches should already be aware of the list.   But coaches somehow think they can discover "character" and "football ability" in 15 minute interview of trick questions.

Edited by merylinkid

No, there should be a list as evidenced by the fact that stupid questions are being asked still. Didn't someone ask Dez Bryant if his mother was a whore?

Ahem...I think the word they used was "prostitute". Lol. And that came from a general manager not even some low level coach or something. You'd think someone that high up would know better. But yeah, its clear the NFL has to do something because this isnt the first year prospective players have complained or mentioned some of the ridiculous things they're being asked. Kudos to them for not being afraid to say something.

Mike & Mike started the show this morning saying "the sports world gets ready to say good-bye to Peyton Manning" and no, I don't want to.

Part of it is that I am getting to the age, have reached it really, where the new kids are young enough to be my children and I don't have many contemporaries left playing the game, except for maybe in golf.

But also, and I understand the stories from when he was younger, but in his play on the field and his marketing acumen I just adore him. I cared about some team in Indianapolis because of him. I loved watching him play. I loved seeing him dance around behind the line and try to confuse the defense.

There won't be another Peyton. There is another Manning and I love him too, but mostly because of the logo on his helmet. I rooted hard for Denver in the last four years because of Peyton. I don't know if I would follow Eli to another team.

Bye Sheriff. Enjoy retirement.

• Love 2

I'm not ready for him to go either.   He changed the game.   But, I don't want to see him playing a few more years and playing worse and worse, a mere shadow of his former greatness.   While it will be hard, I want him to ride off into the sunset with the memories untarnished.

• Love 3

Ahem...I think the word they used was "prostitute". Lol. And that came from a general manager not even some low level coach or something. You'd think someone that high up would know better. But yeah, its clear the NFL has to do something because this isnt the first year prospective players have complained or mentioned some of the ridiculous things they're being asked. Kudos to them for not being afraid to say something.

To be fair, Dez opened the door. The questioning allegedly went something like this:

--"What does your father do?" 

--"He's a pimp."

--"What does your mother do?"

--"She works for my father."

--"So your mother's a prostitute?"

Watching this Manning press conference and Q&A happening now. If looks could kill, the female reporter from USA Today who just asked him about the Tennessee allegations would be dead in her seat. Holy shit. (And for what it's worth, I think she was well within her journalistic place to ask, and it is his right to respond as he sees fit.)

Except this one moment, this has been a giant tongue bath. Understandably so, but I admire her having the guts to ask a tough question amidst the slurping.

• Love 5
(edited)

I had no problem with the question, it's news, not gossip.

His response was pure Peyton.

I loved the whole thing. Peyton even over-prepares for a presser. I was amused he zoned out while listening to Woody Paige.

James Brown declared on the "CBS Evening News" that anyone who voted no for Peyton to get into the HOF should turn in their membership card.

Edited by mojoween
(edited)

Watching this Manning press conference and Q&A happening now. If looks could kill, the female reporter from USA Today who just asked him about the Tennessee allegations would be dead in her seat. Holy shit. (And for what it's worth, I think she was well within her journalistic place to ask, and it is his right to respond as he sees fit.)

Except this one moment, this has been a giant tongue bath. Understandably so, but I admire her having the guts to ask a tough question amidst the slurping.

I was watching the press conference on my phone at work and dropped my phone when I realized what she was going to ask. Like you, I believe she absolutely was within her journalistic right to ask, but sheeshh how AWKWARD it must have been. That took guts for real. I didnt even get to see Peyton's reaction but I read on twitter he referenced Forrest Gump or something?

Anyway, I thought the speech as a whole was fantastic. He gave shoutouts to all the expected ones (Brady, Belicheck, the 5 coaches he played for) but I thought it was a nice touch to shoutout a bunch of defenders he had faced over the years (Bruschi, Polamalu, Urlacher, Reid, etc.) It was very very touching.

One of the lighter moments I enjoyed was when Peyton spoke about a conversation he had with one of his kids who asked him days before the Superbowl if the game was his last one ever, and all he could do was shake his head and think Adam and Mort had gotten to his kid as an "inside source" or something. Lol.

Edited by FuriousStyles

I didn't really care about Peyton's speech. But I do like the fact that he apparently officially broke the story to Chris Mortenson, who is battling cancer.

• Love 1

To be fair, Dez opened the door. The questioning allegedly went something like this:

--"What does your father do?" 

--"He's a pimp."

--"What does your mother do?"

--"She works for my father."

--"So your mother's a prostitute?"

Regardless of what he said about his father being a pimp, after the "She works for my father" statement, the coaches should have just left it at that.  There was no need for that follow-up question.  If someone had mentioned my mother and the word "prostitute" in the same sentence, I would have punched the shit out of them.   And I am a smallish woman.

Good for her for asking. I cannot stand the tongue baths when athletes retire. Kobe's entire goodbye tour has had me rolling my eyes. I'm glad Peyton didn't do a similar tour.

• Love 4

Poor Kam

That story makes me so sad.

And I know he's hoops and not NFL, but Jay Williams was relating a story in reference to Kam's story where he said he was in Greenwich, wearing black pants and a hoodie, and the cops stopped him because there was a disturbance in the area and wanted to know if he knew anything about it, and then followed him to the restaurant he was headed to.

I just can't, I mean I don't understand that mindset, that you are suspicious of someone because of the color of their skin? Like I understand that's a real thing, but I don't understand WHY.

• Love 3

I cannot stand the tongue baths when athletes retire. Kobe's entire goodbye tour has had me rolling my eyes. I'm glad Peyton didn't do a similar tour.

And all of this will be followed by talk about statues.

I freakin' hate statues for athletes and coaches. None of these guys (I think Pat Summit might be the only woman) cured a disease, educated children to succeed in the future or defended our country in the armed services.

The played a game.

• Love 1
(edited)

And all of this will be followed by talk about statues.

I freakin' hate statues for athletes and coaches. None of these guys (I think Pat Summit might be the only woman) cured a disease, educated children to succeed in the future or defended our country in the armed services.

The played a game.

I'd give Pat Summit a statue.  I'd also say she educated her players to succeed both off the court and in the classroom.  I believe when she first started out she taught classes in addition to coaching.  She did a lot for women and title IX rights.  OU would not have a women's basketball team if Pat hadn't spoken up and led the way when it was dropped.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 4
(edited)

The start of the NFL season begins today.  I am interested in seeing how everything plays out. So far, RGIII has been informed he's cut, Johnny Manziel will be cut probably today, or this week, and Chase Daniels is going to the Eagles to possibly compete for the starter position. Also, Brock Osweiler may end up in Houston, and I saw a rumor that the Broncos may be interested in Colin Kaepernick. 

WR Marvin Jones is signing with the Lions, (I read a rumor that the Browns were also interested in him the Patriots were also looking at him) Also, Travis Benjamin is signing with the Chargers. I wish him the best, I like watching the good things he did for the Browns last year. I am interested in seeing where different players end up at, especially those that play the QB position.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Looks like Osweiler is coming to Texas. Word is that Denver offered him $30 million guaranteed and Houston offered $37 million.

I don't know how he'll work out, but as a long-suffering Texans fan, I'm just glad that we now have a glimmer of hope at the quarterback position.

• Love 1

Looks like Osweiler is coming to Texas. Word is that Denver offered him $30 million guaranteed and Houston offered $37 million.

I don't know how he'll work out, but as a long-suffering Texans fan, I'm just glad that we now have a glimmer of hope at the quarterback position.

We'll see, he had half a season.

Expect Denver to go after Fitzpatrick, hard. Elway's going to earn his salary this off-season.

I'd give Pat Summit a statue.  I'd also say she educated her players to succeed both off the court and in the classroom.  I believe when she first started out she taught classes in addition to coaching.  She did a lot for women and title IX rights.  OU would not have a women's basketball team if Pat hadn't spoken up and led the way when it was dropped.

I absolutely agree Pat Summit deserves a statue. All the statues. But she might be the only one!

• Love 1

San Francisco sources are seeing Denver is going after Kaepernick.

I can understand Brock wanting more money and I wish him well with the Texans.  I think he is an upgrade over anybody they have right now at the QB position. But I think that staying in Denver could have been really good for him. That team is in a good place and with decent or heck even halfway decent QB could potentially make it back to the Superbowl again next year. 

Peyton struggled last season and didn’t play so well in the Superbowl but they still won. I could see them making it to the Superbowl again next season with another QB.  I think that the free agent QB’s that are out there, should really be looking at trying to play for Denver. They technically could use two QB’s, since both Brock and Peyton are gone and the guy they have now is a third string.  

I read that the Broncos are interested in Kaepernick, but I also read that the 49ers don’t want to part with him.  I wouldn’t mind seeing someone like RGIII get a shot to be the starter for the Broncos.  It would be a great comeback story for him, if he became the starter for that team and led them back to the Superbowl.  If he stays healthy I think that he could be a solid QB choice for them.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2