Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Dog

• Start Topic

I'm fine with it showing events in real time and not in flashback.  I've never been a huge fan of flashbacks.  It's okay as a device when used judiciously, but if they used it in this show it would have been constant flashbacks because the premise of FTWD is to show how it all began.  So for me it's more interesting to experience it as the characters are experiencing it, not experiencing it through one of them recalling that day when we shot the walker drug dealer, etc.  I would have preferred what someone else mentioned where you have multiple separate stories going on all around L.A., like one featuring a doctor in a hospital, one featuring a cop dealing with the mayhem, one with the ordinary family (like we have in this one, but sans all the ham-fisted family drama), a news reporter, etc.  This is a story that needed to be told from several perspectives.

• Love 5

AMC put up an inside-the-episode vid for The Dog. It's pretty much confirming what some of us were thinking - that it's so early into the ZA that everyone is still trying to understand what's really going on. I liked hearing the actors' own take on their characters, especially from Cliff Curtis and Ruben Blades.  Also, there's a bit of back story dropped about the Clarkes which I'll put in spoiler tags because it wasn't an actual part of the episode:

Mr. Clarke has been dead for six years. He died in a car accident, and yes, mom and the kids were playing Monopoly while they waited for him to arrive home.

• Love 3

I'm fine with it showing events in real time and not in flashback.  I've never been a huge fan of flashbacks.  It's okay as a device when used judiciously, but if they used it in this show it would have been constant flashbacks because the premise of FTWD is to show how it all began.  So for me it's more interesting to experience it as the characters are experiencing it, not experiencing it through one of them recalling that day when we shot the walker drug dealer, etc.  I would have preferred what someone else mentioned where you have multiple separate stories going on all around L.A., like one featuring a doctor in a hospital, one featuring a cop dealing with the mayhem, one with the ordinary family (like we have in this one, but sans all the ham-fisted family drama), a news reporter, etc.  This is a story that needed to be told from several perspectives.

As well, there is greatly diminished tension in flashbacks, if we were seeing the events before the fall as flashbacks, we know that the particular character in the present day survives the experience. Chances are high that at least one of those being presented as a main may not make it past the first season and whether or not they do there is no guarantee of long-term survival for all, so at this point we shouldn't know who has guaranteed survival. Having some perspectives outside the core family wouldn't hurt, even if those characters aren't intended to to do anything more than briefly cross paths with the main cast and die as a a consequence of the outbreak. That was the point of principal Artie and it was well done. The extra half hour of the first episode felt like a much tighter script was padded to fill out the time, when additional short-term characters would have been a better use of that time. They could have done something similar with one of the medical personnel at the hospital or shown that news staff working in the field were bitten or worked while ill and became a disease vector that brought down their workplaces, hence the lack of radio and television coverage. One scene of the cast fiddling with a static-y radio before the monopoly game would have added to the tension. BTW add me to those who appreciated that as a moment of normalcy.  It was acknowledged in dialogue that the family was already packed so it didn't seem silly.  

• Love 2

"And if you put a bunch of Walkers in a bounce house you'd have . . ."

Bouncy Biters?

Inflatables Cannibals?

Kids Birthday Party

Walkers in a Bouncy House

Big Fun Eating Tots

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Love 1

On the other hand, this is supposed to take place in LA. Where the TV stations will interrupt programming to broadcast a freeway car chase for hours. If all of this was indeed going down, channel 5 would be broadcasting the crap out of it and putting the population into a complete panic. They'd have logos with "Plague Watch 2015" and Dr. Phil would be on to talk about how to cope with plague and Jillian Barberie would come on and tell us about the new Plague Dance that the kids are doing.

Instead, apparently, there's a news blackout on the whole thing. That's the most unrealistic part.

Yes! All of this! FOX News would have 24/7 ObamaPlague coverage! Nancy Grace judging a walker back to life with the power of self-righteousness! Bill Maher blaming Muslims! Jimmy Fallon doing fucking musical skits! Pat Robertson pleading to cure it with money!

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 13

Ugh, I hated the flashlight thing too. Dumb, so much dumb. I also laughed at Madison standing at the window looking through the blinds, when the blinds were only partially down. Her entire midsection was in front of unobstructed view, so she obviously wasn't concerned about remaining hidden. Why didn't she just open the blinds all the way? Or better yet, lower them and not be exposed to the entire street? But no, she decided to peer through blinds that were half open. For some reason, this bothered me so much.

This saga has greatly disturbed me because I have never understood people who have no window coverings or use sheers as their only window covering. People, starting at dusk, your home becomes a stage. Everybody on the outside sees all these grown folks standing at the half opened blinds "peeping" out. Stupid.

• Love 2

I continue to watch TWD even though it is stupid and boring with terrible writing and acting a LOT of the time. I made it about halfway through this episode of FTWD and I am.... out. There is only so much stupid/boring/terrible I can take. And since the dead people aren't even interesting (flesh still steadfastly adhered to bones), there is really nothing to look at here.

Nancy Grace judging a walker back to life with the power of self-righteousness!

Mighty Peanut, that is a line and a half. Seeing how it is not copyrighted I am going to borrow it. Who am I kidding, I am of low moral fiber. I am going to steal it. Much love though! In public, laughing quietly inside!

• Love 2

I rewatched the show & noticed a few things I didn't catch the first time I saw the show.

1) When Madison, Nick & Alicia are playing Monopoly, Madison hears shots being fired & pauses. Alicia doesn't say anything & Nick says Mom after about 10 seconds. It seems that Madison & Nick didn't want to alert Alicia to the problem, but wouldn't Alicia hear the shots & wonder what is going on? I would be scared if I heard shots being fired outside my house.

2) When Travis & Chris are in the Truck approaching the hospital, you can hear on the radio that officials have declared a state of emergency in upwards of 11 states. There were also a Doctor Walker shambling on the grass.

3) When Ophelia was talking to her dad she mentioned that all their relatives were buried in El Salvador, so the "cousin" didn't really exist. Daniel confirmed this by sayng he was planning to go find a Doctor in the morning after travis left the house. It was odd that would let them  stay at their house once they had left for the desert.

4)After killing their neighbour, the power went back on at the house, yet no one was watching TV or listening to the radio for news. It's unlikely that the TV networks or radio would have stopped broadcasting any info so quickly given that the radio was working in Travis's truck a  few hours earlier.

5) I couldn't figure out why Nick,Madison & Alicia didn't run out of the front of house to alert Travis about someone going into their  house.

6) How did Susan get into the backyard so quickly to chase after Alicia went back to get the shells?

• Love 1

It just seems that this show leaves more questions than it does answers and not in a good way - it hasn't advanced past the B movies with Karen Black that I use to watch - ex: the killer is calling you from inside the house but you don't leave - we see Travis out the front but go out the back - or leaving the door open when you know things are roaming the streets.

No one listening to the radios and TV -  no one checking the internet - a grid going down within just a few hours of the dead coming back to life.

The fact that Alicia must be coddled and the situation hidden from her at her age after having been raised with a brother who's a drug user when she knows how to address his issues. It's not like she a 6 yr old.

I would have liked the approach as mentioned above - multiple back stories from different characters.

I'm an avid reader of horror - especially zombie books - and the story line is off to me - if this was happening say in a world like The Truman Show - I could understand the lack of knowledge, concern and belief - but this is not set in a perfect world - even if  "zombie"  lore is not in their world - there are drug dealers, an army, accidents, riots - and yet people are so slow on the pick-up.

• Love 1

The fact that Alicia must be coddled and the situation hidden from her at her age after having been raised with a brother who's a drug user when she knows how to address his issues. It's not like she a 6 yr old

Agreed. If she is smart enough to get into Berkeley , then she should be able to handle the situation. She nearly got bit by Susan.

• Love 1

Agreed. If she is smart enough to get into Berkeley , then she should be able to handle the situation. She nearly got bit by Susan.

But it isn't about whether Alicia can handle it, which she can.  It's about how her family treats her anyway.  As frustrating as the Clarks are, I think that is the most realistic part of the show.  This is how dysfunctional families of addicts often behave.  Sadly, I have personal experience with some people JUST like this.  Mom thinking she's "shielding" younger sister when she knows what's going on and is actually ten times more realistic than the rest of the family, all embroiled in playing "let's pretend."  In fact, that could be the motto of a dysfunctional family:  Let's Pretend. 

In fact, Nick is more in touch with the truth than his own parents who want to keep pretending he's just going to somehow be okay.   The addicted child is often the one who "expresses" all the shit the family likes to ignore.  He acts out for the whole group.  I felt like this was shown when they were discussing Daniel blowing Peter's head off.  Nick matter of factly says, "He was dead."  And Travis just stares at him like a crestfallen child and says, "Why did you have to say that?"  Notice how Travis didn't actually argue with that statement, like, No, he wasn't!  Instead it's, don't SAY that.  Nick won't play Let's Pretend.  Travis is a huge fan of it.  Maddie is selective about it.  She does it about it her kids, but I think she's willing to accept the outer reality quickly.

• Love 11

Just wanted to add that in families of alcoholics, it's pretty typical that saying stuff out loud, admitting the obvious, is a worse "crime" than the addiction.  I wasn't that into this show the first episode or two, but upon reflection, I think it's showing this dynamic and how it's going to work in the face of the unthinkable.  People will react to this sort of trauma the way they react to the trauma that exists IRL. 

OR, I'm giving the writers way too much credit.  But seeing it through this lens gives the show some depth for me.

• Love 2

Good old Stoneface thinks this is all going to go away.  Since the teen dream hasn't seen it yet I think she's hoping it will all be "fixed" and teen dream won't ever have to see it.  She might end up as messed up as the junkie.

• Love 2

But it isn't about whether Alicia can handle it, which she can. It's about how her family treats her anyway. As frustrating as the Clarks are, I think that is the most realistic part of the show. This is how dysfunctional families of addicts often behave. Sadly, I have personal experience with some people JUST like this. Mom thinking she's "shielding" younger sister when she knows what's going on and is actually ten times more realistic than the rest of the family, all embroiled in playing "let's pretend." In fact, that could be the motto of a dysfunctional family: Let's Pretend.

In fact, Nick is more in touch with the truth than his own parents who want to keep pretending he's just going to somehow be okay. The addicted child is often the one who "expresses" all the shit the family likes to ignore. He acts out for the whole group. I felt like this was shown when they were discussing Daniel blowing Peter's head off. Nick matter of factly says, "He was dead." And Travis just stares at him like a crestfallen child and says, "Why did you have to say that?" Notice how Travis didn't actually argue with that statement, like, No, he wasn't! Instead it's, don't SAY that. Nick won't play Let's Pretend. Travis is a huge fan of it. Maddie is selective about it. She does it about it her kids, but I think she's willing to accept the outer reality quickly.

Just want to say this is an excellent analysis! I think you're dead on with everyone's roles in this family. I also want to add that since Travis is the "new guy" I think that contributes to his obvious denial. He's still in the honeymoon stage with his new family.

• Love 4

Agreed, it is a fine analysis.

But if this is indeed what the writers were going for, it is total shit writing. There is such a small segment of the viewing audience who will understand what is going on and who can relate to the characters, the vast majority of viewers will be left behind. The goal of a pilot is to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. By going for such a specific interpretation of the unfolding events you are almost guaranteeing failure. I consider myself a discerning viewer and I never picked up upon this interpretation, to expect the unwashed masses to grok the meaning is arrogance to the utmost degree. Either way, what we have been given so far in FEAR is shit writing. Period.

• Love 1

Just want to say this is an excellent analysis! I think you're dead on with everyone's roles in this family. I also want to add that since Travis is the "new guy" I think that contributes to his obvious denial. He's still in the honeymoon stage with his new family.

Why, thank you.  :)  But I do think Travis exhibits the same behavior with Chris.  He's all, "We're blending these families," and Chris is all, "FU, I never asked for another family," and Travis is all "Lalalalala!"  But to extend some fairness to him, he's also compassionate enough to look after and protect Eliza in a crisis, plus the Salazars.  He's REALLY blending his families.  lol

• Love 2

But if this is indeed what the writers were going for, it is total shit writing. There is such a small segment of the viewing audience who will understand what is going on and who can relate to the characters, the vast majority of viewers will be left behind. The goal of a pilot is to appeal to as broad an audience as possible. By going for such a specific interpretation of the unfolding events you are almost guaranteeing failure. I consider myself a discerning viewer and I never picked up upon this interpretation, to expect the unwashed masses to grok the meaning is arrogance to the utmost degree. Either way, what we have been given so far in FEAR is shit writing. Period.

And, I could also be wrong!  It's just what makes sense to me.  I think it's interesting, thought not necessarily enjoyable, because if society collapses, we're still stuck with all our interpersonal problems/habits in the midst of it.

• Love 2

Either way, what we have been given so far in FEAR is shit writing. Period.

I don't agree.  It's not perfect but not shit either.  In TWD, we're past this point, where the people who didn't accept, couldn't fight, etc have been killed or killed themselves.  In FTWD it's just beginning, so we're going to see emotions and reactions all over the spectrum.  To me, this is far more realistic then everyone being "oh, OK, they're dead but still up and about and want to eat us".  Personally I would find that much more unbelievable then people panicking and making dumb decisions. 

WRT to no one coming right out and telling Alicia "hey they're dead", I think the only one who really believes that is Nick.  Travis obviously doesn't and Maddie may be coming around (which is why she spent so much time watching Susan), it is IMO a REALLY tough thing to believe even when seen with your own eyes.  I think she is still somewhat in denial, and yes it could get someone killed.  Think of how unreliable eyewitness testimony is - a lot of times right after you've seen something or experienced something, especially something so incredibly out of the normal scope of things, you really can't believe what happened.   And a LOT has happened in just a couple of days. 

We don't even know what the Salazar family believes, just that the dad is taking no chances in a bad situation.  I find all of the characters frustrating at different points for different reasons, but that's a good thing for me; I'm not sure what's going to happen next. 

So mileages vary and all, for me, I'm immersed in the world and want to know what happens next.  I'm not as immersed as in the first few eps of TWD, but none of these actors are as compelling (Frank Dillane could get there, I think he's the best right now) as Andrew Lincoln, Lennie James, Jon Bernthal; actors who aren't just good but have real charisma and presence.  But the FTWD people have shown enough to keep me watching.

• Love 4

... In FTWD it's just beginning, so we're going to see emotions and reactions all over the spectrum.  ...

The next emotion we see the characters on FEAR express will be the first emotion we see them express. That is the point, the characters are bland, emotionless and reacting in an utterly unbelievable manner.

And, I could also be wrong!  

Oh, I honestly hope that you're correct, because this theory is the first one I've heard that would explain the bland behavior of the characters.

• Love 1

The next emotion we see the characters on FEAR express will be the first emotion we see them express. That is the point, the characters are bland, emotionless and reacting in an utterly unbelievable manner.

Not to me.  But I've already explained why I don't agree, so I'll just agree to disagree. 

• Love 1

I rewatched the show & noticed a few things I didn't catch the first time I saw the show.

1) When Madison, Nick & Alicia are playing Monopoly, Madison hears shots being fired & pauses. Alicia doesn't say anything & Nick says Mom after about 10 seconds. It seems that Madison & Nick didn't want to alert Alicia to the problem, but wouldn't Alicia hear the shots & wonder what is going on? I would be scared if I heard shots being fired outside my house.

2) When Travis & Chris are in the Truck approaching the hospital, you can hear on the radio that officials have declared a state of emergency in upwards of 11 states. There were also a Doctor Walker shambling on the grass.

3) When Ophelia was talking to her dad she mentioned that all their relatives were buried in El Salvador, so the "cousin" didn't really exist. Daniel confirmed this by sayng he was planning to go find a Doctor in the morning after travis left the house. It was odd that would let them  stay at their house once they had left for the desert.

4)After killing their neighbour, the power went back on at the house, yet no one was watching TV or listening to the radio for news. It's unlikely that the TV networks or radio would have stopped broadcasting any info so quickly given that the radio was working in Travis's truck a  few hours earlier.

5) I couldn't figure out why Nick,Madison & Alicia didn't run out of the front of house to alert Travis about someone going into their  house.

6) How did Susan get into the backyard so quickly to chase after Alicia went back to get the shells?

1) I missed that on my viewing of the episode.  I knew she could hear stuff, thus her pausing and listening, but I couldn't hear it (on/through the TV) so I just assumed she either heard zombie(s) shuffling around nearby outdoors, or the screams of people being 'chased' and/or eaten.  That totally explains the ["I just killed/witnessed a killing last night"] stare down that Travis and the neighbor a couple doors down had when taking the garbage out the next morning.

2) I know shit is crazy and the mental trauma part of it all to deal with, but other than Nick's channel-surfing the radio right after dealing with 'Cal', nobody on the show is talking/thinking/wondering about how this is "not just an LA thing, but a much bigger nation or world-wide problem".  This is where the show and its premise is hurting in only following the Clarks/Manawas/Salazars; instead of seeing differing viewpoints from varying people/occupations/groups where info would be more likely taken in, processed, and/or dispensed.

3) Yeah.  I know his past life is driving his caution and decisions, but Daddy Salazar isn't thinking too clearly.  Safety's in numbers, in this new "war".

4) See my response to point 2.

5) The neighborhood's "floor plan" is so screwy.  They jumped their fence to get in Patrick/Susan's backyard and back of the house.  But when encountering Patrick having come home, they had driven down the road, and had to make a bit of a left to reach P/S's front of house.   Going by that, I don't think it was so simple as just running out the front to get immediately back to their own house.  Didn't like how that wasn't really explained.

6) That is a writing fail.  'Susan' hadn't even opened that swinging door thingy as Alicia was running out the back door, but she's grabbing Alicia's foot as Alicia is about to hop back over the fence to her own yard.  Didn't realize the zombies had teleporting abilities now.  I guess, if you really wanted to, could handwave that Alicia (in her fear to get away) got a bit lost in the maze and it wasn't really shown, but still doesn't make sense when it was shown that 'Susan' had a pretty much clear path from the fence line out to Patrick, when he came home and called her out.

5) The neighborhood's "floor plan" is so screwy.  They jumped their fence to get in Patrick/Susan's backyard and back of the house.  But when encountering Patrick having come home, they had driven down the road, and had to make a bit of a left to reach P/S's front of house.   Going by that, I don't think it was so simple as just running out the front to get immediately back to their own house.  Didn't like how that wasn't really explained.

I now think that Maddie's property backs up to Patrick's property, and that the houses aren't on the same street at all, so going through the back is the short-cut. The neighborhood looks to be in or near the foothills, and it's not uncommon to have roads curve a bit.

6) That is a writing fail.  'Susan' hadn't even opened that swinging door thingy as Alicia was running out the back door, but she's grabbing Alicia's foot as Alicia is about to hop back over the fence to her own yard.  Didn't realize the zombies had teleporting abilities now.  I guess, if you really wanted to, could handwave that Alicia (in her fear to get away) got a bit lost in the maze and it wasn't really shown, but still doesn't make sense when it was shown that 'Susan' had a pretty much clear path from the fence line out to Patrick, when he came home and called her out.

Hmm, I just watched that scene, and it was shown. Alicia hesitates at one point, at least for a few seconds, looking around as though confused which way to go, and then takes off again. Granted, it was only for a few seconds, and it's a fair argument that she'd be much faster than Susan, but if we accept the premise that the "fresh" zombies still have a residual bit of muscle memory that allows them to perform familiar tasks, Susan could have made her way relatively quickly through the maze.

That aside, it wasn't necessarily the writing that failed. The director is in charge of filming the scene, and should have worked out the beats.

Edited by Raven1707

Have to disagree.  Although they share the same origins FTWD is a different show than TWD, and different does not automatically equal shit.

FTWD is exploring a segment of the overall story line which TWD had the luxury of ignoring - the dissolution of organized societal structure into disorganized chaos.  TWD barely touched on this in the episode; Rick went to sleep (coma-wise) in a rational world, woke up in a ZA anarchy, and stumbled around in it for a few minutes before encountering a Basil Exposition named Morgan who briefed Rick in on the entire transition in ten minutes.  Gloss over and move on.

Now FTWD is focused on digging into and dissecting a portion of the ZA timeline which the initial source writer was leery of taking on in any but the vaguest detail.  So - while FTWD's writing has demonstrated multiple areas of weakness, I don't automatically count difference from TWD's writing style(s) as one of those weaknesses.

Have to disagree.  Although they share the same origins FTWD is a different show than TWD, and different does not automatically equal shit.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. I make no comparison between TWD and FEAR here. I was commenting on Peach's theory that the writers are portraying a dysfunctional family of an addict who are in ultimate denial and this explains their unusual reactions and failure to communicate about what is going on around them. I did make a comparison of FEAR and TWD's pilot in the comparison thread, but that is not what you quoted.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. I make no comparison between TWD and FEAR here. I was commenting on Peach's theory that the writers are portraying a dysfunctional family of an addict who are in ultimate denial and this explains their unusual reactions and failure to communicate about what is going on around them. I did make a comparison of FEAR and TWD's pilot in the comparison thread, but that is not what you quoted.

I beg your pardon, then.  When I read this...

There is such a small segment of the viewing audience who will understand what is going on and who can relate to the characters, the vast majority of viewers will be left behind.

...I thought the "small segment" to which you were referring was crossover TWD viewers, in terms of having "advance knowledge" of what was actually unfolding in the FTWD world.  My mistake on misinterpreting your context.

The dysfunctional family theory is a good one - every family is dysfunctional in some way - but I don't think that theory is going to pop into the heads of the majority of viewers. I haven't dealt with any of the scenerios presented let alone all 3 at once. Wouldn't it have just been as easy to say," Don't anyone say anything to Alicia! She's had enough to deal with. or I don't know how she'll handle it or I don't want to say anything until we understand it ourselves."

• Love 1

Yes! All of this! FOX News would have 24/7 ObamaPlague coverage! Nancy Grace judging a walker back to life with the power of self-righteousness! Bill Maher blaming Muslims! Jimmy Fallon doing fucking musical skits! Pat Robertson pleading to cure it with money!

What about CNN and their 24-7 coverage of conspiracy theories, i.e. MH370?!

• Love 4

My issue is more with the fact that I doubt he's washed that outfit since he swiped it. I mean, what are the odds he goes home, showers and says "hey mom, can you wash my new favorite outfit so I can wear it for the apocalypse?" It has already soaked up several days of his detox sweats and puking, and I'm sure before long it will have some walker essence on it. It wouldn't hurt for him to pack a spare outfit, I hope he has.

And he's still wearing those clothes!

What about CNN and their 24-7 coverage of conspiracy theories, i.e. MH370?!

Yeah, if Don Lemon can cpeculate that MH370 was lost in a black hole imagine what he would think of for zombies.

• Love 1

Catching up and dang, I agree, WTH Travis with driving by the hospital that looked a zillion times interesting than anything going on with you or your other family at home?!

The hospital evac should've happened with Mrs. Salazar checked in and getting her foot looked at and everyone milling around and then seeing the chaos as the bodies rising from gurney's in the halls, the morgue overflowing, etc. with then needing to break out. Talk about missed opportunities. Sheesh.

I have no problem with a family drama playing out in the background of the zombie uprising but not this family. Sadly, I don't care about their survival individually or as a family. With Rick, you were with him in episode one with wanting him to get home to Lori and Carl and knowing by episode two he was going to be walking into a volatile situation in that Shane had made his claim on Lori so that you were now not sure what to expect. Four episodes into FTWD and the only one I would hate to see die is the high school kid that Madison dropped off last episode.

The Live + 3 cable ratings are in for "The Dog":

Fear The Walking Dead was the week's top Live + 3 ratings gainer among adults 18-49 adding 1.9 adults 18-49 ratings points.

Fear The Walking Dead led total viewership increases, adding 3.543 million viewers to its Live + Same Day viewers. [Total: 10.728 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/09/18/live-3-cable-ratings-fear-the-walking-dead-tops-adults-18-49-total-viewership-gains-dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-leads-percentage-gains-for-the-week-ending-september-13-2015/468491/

• Love 1

Snap. I was thinking about this ep on the way to work today, and I was imagining the kind of descent into slime that every news item comments section would slide into...

And course we would all be here, hiding in our bunkers on our iPads and bitching about how tasteless Jimmy Fallon was being...

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 2

So I finally watched this episode.  Having watched TWD, I know all animals die in the most torturous manner.  I watched the dog scenes on mute with CC, and it didn't really help.  There were repeated "dog whimpers".  And these people are the worst pet owners on earth.   Alicia watches a walker close in on their dog, and her only remark - "Moooooom, there's someone in our house"?

And good Lord that Patrick was an imbecile. He manages to drive all the way to the airport, hangs out at the airport, then drives all the way home without noticing the world is falling apart.  Then when he gets home - after dark - he assumes his wife is out in that junkyard of a backyard.  Then he goes sashaying in - "Su-san, I'm ho-ome", holding his arms out for the growling monster closing in on him?  You don't need to have heard about "zombies" to realize something was seriously wrong. 

• Love 1

Then he goes sashaying in - "Su-san, I'm ho-ome", holding his arms out for the growling monster closing in on him?  You don't need to have heard about "zombies" to realize something was seriously wrong.

Maybe that was their roleplay. You just never know about some people. ;>

• Love 4

Actually, the way they are treating it in FTWD, I'm seriously questioning if the horror genre existed period in this universe, pre-ZA.  I mean, look at all the toned down reactions of the characters.  The next time Madison's face shows a true emotional reaction, it'll be the first time.  I've only witnessed 5 'true' reactions to the whole phenomenon since the show started; 1) Nick running from 'Gloria', 2) Nick "trucking" 'Cal', 3) Madison bashing in 'Arties' head [after finally getting a clue that he was beyond help], 4) Mr Salazar blowing 'Peter's' head off, and 5) Alicia fighting to get away from 'Susan'.

The rest of the time?  They're trying to get close enough to hug the zombies, and tell them it'll all be ok, "we'll get you help" - even after watching them EAT A REAL DOG, RAW.

EDITED for having mistaken Z!Neighbor's name for Robert, when it was in fact Peter.

So, I quoted myself on accident, because I'm an idiot.

Guess I'm just so full of myself that even when I mess up, it calls a whole lot of attention to me.  Guess I should rename myself 'Nick'.

Maybe that was their roleplay. You just never know about some people. ;>

He probably mistook the raspy growling for her version of "You look so good, I could just eat you up!".

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

"And if you put a bunch of Walkers in a bounce house you'd have . . ."

Bouncy Biters?

Inflatables Cannibals?

Kids Birthday Party

Walkers in a Bouncy House

Big Fun Eating Tots

Walk with the walkers in a moonwalk.   They call BH's moonwalks in some places.

Yeah, if Don Lemon can cpeculate that MH370 was lost in a black hole imagine what he would think of for zombies.

"This is Don Lemon reporting.  We have spotted a zombie and we will have film in just a minute.  There it is.....wait a minute...

...no, sorry, that's Hillary Clinton........:)

• Love 1

So I finally watched this episode.  Having watched TWD, I know all animals die in the most torturous manner.  I watched the dog scenes on mute with CC, and it didn't really help.  There were repeated "dog whimpers".  And these people are the worst pet owners on earth.   Alicia watches a walker close in on their dog, and her only remark - "Moooooom, there's someone in our house"?

And good Lord that Patrick was an imbecile. He manages to drive all the way to the airport, hangs out at the airport, then drives all the way home without noticing the world is falling apart.  Then when he gets home - after dark - he assumes his wife is out in that junkyard of a backyard.  Then he goes sashaying in - "Su-san, I'm ho-ome", holding his arms out for the growling monster closing in on him?  You don't need to have heard about "zombies" to realize something was seriously wrong. 

It wasn't their dog.  It belonged to the neighbors across the street. 

ITA with your second point.  My husband would be backing up, saying "Don't get me sick!"  LOL

Walk with the walkers in a moonwalk.   They call BH's moonwalks in some places.

For simplicity's sake, I would go with moonwalkers - but hey, maybe that's just me. ;)

Do  walkers get much sharper teeth when they come back to life? I doubt I could break the skin on my own arm with my front teeth, let alone rip into a GS's belly parts.

So long as you have a functional set of jaw muscles and teeth, the issue is usually more often one of would versus could. If you can eat a steak, you can eat an arm. It's just that in our primarily non-cannibalistic culture, the focus on biting other humans is as an aggressive attack/defense response, not consumption. We're socially engineered to bite no harder than is necessary to cause pain and/or leave a mark; tearing out a chunk of meat usually isn't the primary goal.

Assuming, of course, your name isn't Mike Tyson.

• Love 1