Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Spoilers, Speculation & Social Media

Aethera
  • Start Topic

This regarding Maddie's fiance...  More lies from the Browns??  From the Principle blog (full conversation can be found on FB).  I realize that Maddie's fiance is bound to know polygamists, but why hang out with this guy?  

tumblr_nuv9b5woJ71s6lktro1_500.png

I have one word about Nathan Collier. EEEEWWWWWW.

I really think Aspyn is still in college too. She posts a lot about her sorority on Twitter. It must have been Mykelti. I wonder if fashion school didn't work out?

Did you see Mykelti's drawings? I'm all for encouraging kids to pursue their dreams, but you have to be realistic. I don't want to snark on the kid, really. But if she wants a career in fashion she should consider retail.

• Love 7

I have one word about Nathan Collier. EEEEWWWWWW.

How much you wanna bet that Maddie's finance has a "revelation" that includes a second wife? I feel a Bill Henrickson revelation coming on...run Barb!  Run Maddie! 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5

How much you wanna bet that Maddie's finance has a "revelation" that includes a second wife? I feel a Bill Henrickson revelation coming on...run Barb!  Run Maddie!

When I saw that they were chummy with that slimeball, I had the same thought. Collier didn't start out plyg, either. I will never forget his actual wife describing the pain she lived with when he started his campaign for having a second woman in his bed. Maddie, if your guy start wishing for two of "you" (one to make him cookies and one to cuddle on the couch), RUN. Run like your ass is on fire and your hair is catching.
  • Love 6

I just watched the Meri backstory episode. The PDA shown on TV bothers the wives. They don't normally see it, and apparently they lack the imagination required to think about their husband sharing intimacies with other women. So it really bothers them to see Kody making eyes at one of the others. Makes you wonder what, if anything, they think about when he is with a different wife.

• Love 3

I just watched the Meri backstory episode. The PDA shown on TV bothers the wives. They don't normally see it, and apparently they lack the imagination required to think about their husband sharing intimacies with other women. So it really bothers them to see Kody making eyes at one of the others. Makes you wonder what, if anything, they think about when he is with a different wife.

Yeah, this. I'll bet Janelle is uncomfortable with Kody's PDA with the other wives, and if she has any problem with receiving PDA herself it's because she knows how it looks to the others. But Kody is twisting it to make himself sound like a loving little cuddlebug who just wants some nookie from his sweet wife #2.

Edited by momofsquid

Kendra is a Robyn Brown fan/vigilante who nastily attacks anyone on Facebook who says negative things about Robyn.  Her recent firestorm happened when she responded back to someone something along the lines of hoping their child gets cancer.

Of course, fake accounts are set up all the time . . . so there's no telling who "she" really is.

I find it peculiar, and slightly terrifying, that Robyn has a "fan" who is that involved and devoted to her.  Robyn better sleep with one eye open I think.  

I just hope the new fiance isn't planning on hitching a new boxcar on the Brown Gravy Train.  The age difference does seem a bit extreme, especially since she had little exposure to to non-believers for must of her life.  Hopefully he's not her first relationship.

I'm not concerned with the age difference, but not having much exposure is a little worrisome.

Edited by Granny58

So, setting aside the fiction that it's all about the larger family good (or her own children's future), her priorities for those fund were tropical fun time versus, oh I don't know, keeping her house for a few more months?

Screwed up priorities. Witch.

• Love 1

Calling Dr Phil!!

Seriously. ..someone envolved needs to contact him...cant stand the guy...but he is ALL OVER these Catfish scammers....he is really good at getting to the facts

Edited by Christi

From the politicsrusprinciple blog on tumblr: 

"I can add another twisted branch to the Kody Brown family tree here and here:

Maddie, a daughter of Kody Brown and his stepsister/wife/sister-in-law Janelle, is marrying the brother of her aunt Erica.

While PEOPLE did a special on them, the fact that they’re family wasn’t mentioned.

Maddie is engaged to marry Caleb Brush. Caleb is the brother of Maddie’s paternal aunt Erica Brush. Erica Brush’s husband Curtis Taylor Brown is a full brother of Kody Brown. He died two years ago in a motorcycle accident. From Curtis’ obituary:

Curtis is survived by his wife, Erica; his children, Carter, McCayde [wtf1] and Kinlynn [wtf2]; his parents; and his siblings, Cindy, Scott, Lorilyn, Kody, Christy, Tricia, Travis, Nicole and Michael.

He is also survived by Erica’s family, [her parents] Mike and Diana Brush, [her three biological brothers] Levi, Seth ([seth’s wife] Tiffany Gascoigne) and Caleb and an adopted brother, Joe Bertagnole."

Okay I have tried to make sense of this til my head is near to exploding.

If this guy is her aunt's brother, doesn't that make him her uncle? The aunt's husband is Jody's brother, another uncle?

Please tell me I have this all wrong. These people....I just can't.

I think we should all stop talking about the catfish thing because the pond scum responsible loves all the attention. I feel sorry for Meri, she is unbelievably lonely and was a vulnerable target.

As for inventing a cancer scare to boost ratings, you'd think they'd be classy enough to pick one not associated with STDs ( by the way, for contact purposes, you are considered to have had contact with every person your partner has ever had sex with, and so on. so it is possible HPV could be introduced via Janelle or Robyn as they were married before, to men who might have been having sex with other women)

Sometimes I wonder if the producers are fed up with this circus and are contriving the editing to embarrass the family. Maybe they were the ones who knew about HPV and set up the cancer scare, and Meri fell into it. "Meri's been unfaithful, let's give her an STD" might have been the thinking. And, perhaps the editing is what is making Kody look more and more like a big jerk.

Anyway, if the meeting was at Meri's house it's because they do all their stuff at herhouse, she's the one with the wet bar. She's set up to entertain the crowd.

And Christine needs to get her medication adjusted before she gets full blown serotonin syndrome

• Love 1

Okay I have tried to make sense of this til my head is near to exploding.

If this guy is her aunt's brother, doesn't that make him her uncle? The aunt's husband is Jody's brother, another uncle?

Please tell me I have this all wrong. These people....I just can't.

Actually, not that complex. It's like this:

Kody had a younger brother named Curtis (may he rest in peace).

Curtis was married to Erica (Kody's sister-in-law, in other words).

Erica has a brother named Caleb.

Caleb is now Maddie's fiance.

So no, Caleb is not Maddie's uncle. Does it edge a bit close to the line of discomfort? Yeah, for a lot of people it would. But unless someone drops a bombshell to say that Erica and Caleb are close blood relations of the Browns, this is not really the stuff of scandal. :)

• Love 5

Yeah, this. I'll bet Janelle is uncomfortable with Kody's PDA with the other wives, and if she has any problem with receiving PDA herself it's because she knows how it looks to the others. But Kody is twisting it to make himself sound like a loving little cuddlebug who just wants some nookie from his sweet wife #2.

Or....they just aren't into each other that way and they know it would come off as awkward and fake -typical kody style he has to pound a point into the ground so much it comes off as 'the lady doth protest too much'- you know, when someone is trying a little too hard. Whether it is more her or him who is not into it who knows but he can play the gentleman card by putting it on her, right?

What's he going to say, yeah well, of course we have 6 kids, but we were drunk those times, or it was our duty as (whatever belief system) to make more kodlets or hey, I needed three to qualify for whatever level in the afterlife- or even be awful but maybe honest and say 'yeah I don't mind some chubb but this got out of hand' or 'I'm just too vanilla for Janelle, she makes me crawl around on the floor and shine her shoes..' or 'Janelle asks me too much stuff about things on the news, or world issues..instead of massaging me with rogaine'   .  So it's just easier to make it seem like it's Janelle's idea.

Even if I'm totally wrong and they are even sort of into each other, despite Janelle's many assertions that they were more friends than anything- I don't need to see their PDA either, with any of them. I wouldn't put it past him to occasionally- pardon the expression, throw Janelle a bone, especially if he's pissed off at Meri, right? And if the other two have worn him down- you can see it happening- all the while spouting bs like 'oh I'm so glad you guys are working stuff out between you' (yeah right, like me and other posters said in another thread, it works for him when they aren't 'unionized').  And speaking of Meri, I would bet he has given her some kind of hypocritical speech about  'you have sullied yourself with fantasies of the catfish, for whatever amount of time you must pray and purify yourself, until such time as I feel you are no longer tainted- yadda yadda yadda..'

When in actuality, isn't kody the biggest catfish of all?

• Love 3

Actually, not that complex. It's like this:

Kody had a younger brother named Curtis (may he rest in peace).

Curtis was married to Erica (Kody's sister-in-law, in other words).

Erica has a brother named Caleb.

Caleb is now Maddie's fiance.

So no, Caleb is not Maddie's uncle. Does it edge a bit close to the line of discomfort? Yeah, for a lot of people it would. But unless someone drops a bombshell to say that Erica and Caleb are close blood relations of the Browns, this is not really the stuff of scandal. :)

It's not quite a scandal but it's just ICK. I think it also shows that Maddie didn't remove herself from the polygamy circle even if she claims she is entering a monogamous marriage. We've seen that polygamists are all basically related or at least related enough that mainstream people would consider them family rather than options to date. Since Maddie didn't leave that circle, I am not convinced she is going to end up with a 'one-woman man'. 

• Love 1

It's not quite a scandal but it's just ICK. I think it also shows that Maddie didn't remove herself from the polygamy circle even if she claims she is entering a monogamous marriage. We've seen that polygamists are all basically related or at least related enough that mainstream people would consider them family rather than options to date. Since Maddie didn't leave that circle, I am not convinced she is going to end up with a 'one-woman man'. 

I think it cuts a bit close for comfort, but my point was that Caleb is not Maddie's uncle. They do enough that's worthy of snark and disgust that exaggerating their shenanigans seems like overkill. (Not saying that an ICK factor isn't totally understandable!)

• Love 2

I think it cuts a bit close for comfort, but my point was that Caleb is not Maddie's uncle. They do enough that's worthy of snark and disgust that exaggerating their shenanigans seems like overkill. (Not saying that an ICK factor isn't totally understandable!)

I understand. For me it's more about worry than snark. I want good things for these kids. It isn't their fault they grew up in this nightmare. I think most people considered it a good sign that she was getting out when she went to college. But now one year later she's not in college anymore. She's engaged to a much older guy. 8 years isn't huge in the span of a lifetime but when you are 19/20 years old, 28 is a lifetime older.  She claims she doesn't want a polygamist relationship but her fiancé is part of the small familial circle of polygamists. I don't want to snark on her. I'm worried about her. 

• Love 1

Well he's part of the families that are polygamists rather than someone completely different. But also, from what I've read here he is also very close with the man who is now working to make polygamy legal. I think his name is Collier. So he's integrated into the polygamist world. That makes me less convinced she'll really get away from polygamy.

Believe me, I'm on her side. I want her to be happy and live a great life. I really hope she and Caleb are deliriously happy. Maybe they will be. I'm just concerned.

I understand. For me it's more about worry than snark. I want good things for these kids. It isn't their fault they grew up in this nightmare. I think most people considered it a good sign that she was getting out when she went to college. But now one year later she's not in college anymore. She's engaged to a much older guy. 8 years isn't huge in the span of a lifetime but when you are 19/20 years old, 28 is a lifetime older.  She claims she doesn't want a polygamist relationship but her fiancé is part of the small familial circle of polygamists. I don't want to snark on her. I'm worried about her. 

That big of an age gap, at that stage of life,  sends a red flag to me that guy is insecure, immature, or a beta male looking for someone younger and less experienced to dominate. Also sends red flags of an girl who may have 'daddy issues' and is looking for an older male to validate her, give her guidance and support her - not necessarily gold digging, but preferring to rely on a man than to earn her own income. 

If they'd been 48 and 40, with some life experience, I wouldn't flinch at the age difference. But a teenager and a guy pushing 30 - something isn't 'off.'

• Love 4

That big of an age gap, at that stage of life,  sends a red flag to me that guy is insecure, immature, or a beta male looking for someone younger and less experienced to dominate. Also sends red flags of an girl who may have 'daddy issues' and is looking for an older male to validate her, give her guidance and support her - not necessarily gold digging, but preferring to rely on a man than to earn her own income. 

If they'd been 48 and 40, with some life experience, I wouldn't flinch at the age difference. But a teenager and a guy pushing 30 - something isn't 'off.'

This is it exactly. When I heard the age gap "daddy issues" sprang to mind. We all know Kody isn't an attentive father so my first thought was her need for a male father-figure type person. The other way is definitely possible too. It's really hard to imagine what a 28 year old man would have in common with a 19 year old, her age when they were dating. Especially a 19 year old without an education. It just isn't quite right. 

• Love 2

I know this is just anecdotal, but my own parents have the same age gap. Mom was 19 when she married my dad who was 29. That was in 1961, and they celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary this year.

Laura Ingalls Wilder and Almanzo Wilder were 10 years apart when they married at age 18 and 28, they stayed married until Almanzo died at 90.

Just because Nathan Collier *says* he had dinner with Caleb doesn't mean they're "close friends". We don't know the circumstances. It seems that everyone in that part of the country seems to be acquainted with polygamists. Apparently, the Browns are friends of the Colliers anyway, so perhaps they invited Madison to supper and she brought Caleb as her date. All Collier says is that they had dinner. That doesn't mean much.

If Maddie wants to get away from any trace of polygamy, she would have to move to an entirely different part of the country (new York, California...) however her home base is in Utah, and she's a Mormon of some type, and her family are polygamists so i don't see her getting away from that any time soon.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 5

I know this is just anecdotal, but my own parents have the same age gap. Mom was 19 when she married my dad who was 29. That was in 1961, and they celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary this year.

Laura Ingalls Wilder and Almanzo Wilder were 10 years apart when they married at age 18 and 28, they stayed married until Almanzo died at 90.

Just because Nathan Collier *says* he had dinner with Caleb doesn't mean they're "close friends". We don't know the circumstances. It seems that everyone in that part of the country seems to be acquainted with polygamists. Apparently, the Browns are friends of the Colliers anyway, so perhaps they invited Madison to supper and she brought Caleb as her date. All Collier says is that they had dinner. That doesn't mean much.

If Maddie wants to get away from any trace of polygamy, she would have to move to an entirely different part of the country (new York, California...) however her home base is in Utah, and she's a Mormon of some type, and her family are polygamists so i don't see her getting away from that any time soon.

I agree with every bit of this post. Maddie is about to turn 20, and I just don't see the age difference as all that significant (although in my opinion it's almost always best to live a little life before settling into that commitment). I just really, really, really hope, as I'm sure we all do, that Maddie is making a good choice, that she continues with school and that she ends up having a happy, monogamous marriage.

Edited by SometimesBites
  • Love 4

I agree that it's less the age gap than the fact that Maddie is so young and led a very sheltered life up until they moved to Vegas.  Statistically those who marry very young are unlikely to have a lasting union these days (it was quite different in the past when rules and morals expected people to stay together).  People change rather a lot in their 20's as they experience life.  She needs to see a little more of the world outside of polygamy, TV, and a restrictive patriarchal religion before she commits to marriage.

• Love 2

Or....they just aren't into each other that way and they know it would come off as awkward and fake -typical kody style he has to pound a point into the ground so much it comes off as 'the lady doth protest too much'- you know, when someone is trying a little too hard. Whether it is more her or him who is not into it who knows but he can play the gentleman card by putting it on her, right?

I kind of agree with this about Janelle/Kody, but I see it more as she's got little to no sex drive anyway and Kodouche is just happy not to have any sexual demands placed on him by her privately because he's also just not into her that way, but PUBLICLY he wants it to look like they are oh-so romantic together.  Janelle is just not willing to go along with the act for his big ego.  He wants everyone to think that all of his marriages are just perfect and this business about the PDA is his attempt to cover over the dysfunction in his relationship with Janelle.  It's all about his image of course, what else is new?

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't see the issue with the age difference, especially because women usually mature faster anyway (sorry guys, but I didn't make that up).  Now if the difference were 15 years, I'd say they'd have potential generational / life stage conflicts.  Within 10 years is usually OK even if she's 20.  I got married at 21 to a guy 2 years older but he could have been 8-10 years older and I did date a guy 10 years older than me at one time.  We didn't break up because of our age difference (he cheated on me!).  Note that despite our young ages Mr. Snarklepuss and I have been married for 35 years.  OK, the younger generation today is generally different and perhaps is taking longer to mature than my own, but Mormons (including this weird offshoot of fundie Mormonism) is what I consider to be a more old fashioned culture so I don't think the kids are coming out quite as immature as some kids today.  Given how most of them are champing at the bit* to get out of the house and become adults it looks like they are on a pretty fast track to emotional adulthood.  That's just my own observation / opinion anyway.

* and yes it is "champing" not "chomping".

Champing or chomping, it doesn't matter if the kids move out of the house, the only escape for them is marriage. If they don't get married they will end up on Kody's planet working as Robyn's slaves.

• Love 2

I agree with every bit of this post. Maddie is about to turn 20, and I just don't see the age difference as all that significant (although in my opinion it's almost always best to live a little life before settling into that commitment). I just really, really, really hope, as I'm sure we all do, that Maddie is making a good choice, that she continues with school and that she ends up having a happy, monogamous marriage.

I think the signs are already showing that she isn't going to continue with school. She quit. If she planned to continue or her fiancé wanted to encourage her pursuing her degree she would still be doing so, even if she ended up changing schools.  What is she doing now? Does he have an education or employment? Maybe she has a plan that we don't know about. That is possible :-).  

I do agree that we all hope this is a good choice for her and she lives a very happy, monogamous life. I think some of us are just less optimistic than others.

• Love 1

I kind of agree with this about Janelle/Kody, but I see it more as she's got little to no sex drive anyway and Kodouche is just happy not to have any sexual demands placed on him by her privately because he's also just not into her that way, but PUBLICLY he wants it to look like they are oh-so romantic together.  Janelle is just not willing to go along with the act for his big ego.  He wants everyone to think that all of his marriages are just perfect and this business about the PDA is his attempt to cover over the dysfunction in his relationship with Janelle.  It's all about his image of course, what else is new?

yeah I agree, he makes such a deal of it that it looks super fake. I'm sure he 'loves' her in the sense of family and they have a bunch of kids, as much as someone like him can 'love' someone, but if they think he doesn't love them in different ways, they are likely fooling themselves- pretty sure they are smart enough to know this already. Janelle has already accepted how it is with him, she has stated may times they are more friends than anything, but he is the one likely who feels it looks bad on him, hence his making a big show 'see, she won't give me any love, she's shy, isn't that cute and funny? '

He prob watched the honeymoon tape and saw him acting like a dork with robin over his shoulder on the beach and the whole 'kody's my soul mate! wheee" date episode and all that other annoying crap "here, have a string for a ring babe, let's get this show on the road" "that's awesome kody, you're the best thing since beltless maxi-pads!" "hey come pick out the dress secretly with me" and on and on,  while the other wives sat at a dusty campground with the kids or were in labor at the hospital, or were working.

• Love 3

OK, so the commercials are showing them in a courtroom. Seriously - does Nevada allow TV cameras to film proceedings for a "reality" show?  

Wait - Sin City is in Nevada so I suppose that they do. So much for any sort of believing in the law or the "best interests of the children" type of decisions.  It appears that their legal system is a as much of a circus as the Vegas strip.  The judges and lawyers probably have a second job as strippers, dancers, or actors;  that TLC money to play along with the story will certainly come in handy.