Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Summer Storm

• Start Topic

Tori has the worst canyon cleavage ever.

I have to say, David did look a little pretty in drag.

Kyle sees a naked girl, manages not to barf.

I think he kind of did, a little, in his mouth.

Can "For Steve's navel" be the new "For God's sake"?

If Brenda and Steve ever got together, it would be the sassiest relationship ever.

I can't help but reverse the roles in the B plot.  What if Kyle had been coming on strong while Kelly was the one who didn't want to have sex?  Completely different story.  See?  Donna and David gave me a teachable moment.

Edited by Qoass

Oh thank god you screen capped Kelly in that blue bikini. It has haunted me for... well, since this episode first ran I imagine. That blue bikini Kelly is wearing is the same one Brenda wears in the opening credits! 

S0SNFPK.jpg

aQ73c2W.jpg

Right?

Also I kind of still like the top Brenda is wearing at the hospital. Maybe a different color, but I like the neckline. 

• Love 1

Didn't Steve wear a navel baring t-shirt a couple episodes ago? WHY IS STEVE'S CONSTANTLY WEARING CROP TOPS?  I want the answer!

Dyan's answering machine message may be the best thing ever. That thing totally ruins all his stupid "bad, dangerous to know" vibes he says he has. Seriously, Dylan, listen to your answering machine! 

This episode was very, very dramatic. That is all. I mean.. I don't know. I used to think my teenage shows were dramatic but I think this show takes the cake at times. 

I still love season 1 and 2 Kelly. She was so awesome back then- I think I say this every episode but I find myself so confused with why I have bad memories of her and not liking her. Probably because the later years turned her into a ridiculous human being. 

The actor playing Kyle was Ted on Hey Dude .

He was in a bunch of random shit.

That's not the 1st time Steve's worn a belly shirt and won't be the last.

Tori Spelling has never been attractive not even when she was young. She only was passably ok one season of 90210 when she had dark red hair and was a fashion designer/seller or whatever. Now her face is so messed up from surgery she kinda looks like a Simpsons character.

Dylan is so cute but very delicate, maybe a male ballet dancer or jockey.

• Love 1

I think the two things I say most often while listening to this podcast are, "Shut up Brenda!" and "Ugh. Fucking Brandon." 

I am mostly yelling at Brandon most of the time- as most of the past episodes had a heavy focus on Brandon as an A plot and his girl or "friend" for the episode but yeah, this summer season seems very heavy on Brenda and it's not doing her any favors. She used to somewhat get a pass from me because Jim and Cindy basically put Brandon on a pedestal ( the election episode, "oh honey we were so sad when we moved here and you couldn't run back home" the hell?) but this season she should really take a step back.

It's confusing having the visual aids in one thread and the podcast link in another and them both having different titles.

It also divides the discussion on what could be merged, and diminishing what would be more enlightening or entertaining for those who inadvertently overlook the seperate different named thread for the same podcast.

• Love 4

I hated the Kyle plot. And I wonder what happened there between the script and filming. Considering this show's history of chastising the sexually active, you'd think they'd forego the whole possibly-gay plot and just make it all about slut-shaming Kelly for "moving too fast." Instead, Kyle's sexual confusion is just ... confusing? And is never resolved. Which I guess doesn't strike very true to me. Most people I know had their sexual identity pretty well ironed out, if not exactly verbalized, by this age.

@Petunia13 and vendredi3: merging the threads means people don't use the forums get locked out of adding comments on the editorial posts, so we can't merge them. However, I can change the thread titles to make it more obvious which is which. Let's try that.

• Love 1
Instead, Kyle's sexual confusion is just ... confusing? And is never resolved. Which I guess doesn't strike very true to me. Most people I know had their sexual identity pretty well ironed out, if not exactly verbalized, by this age.

I agree they don't revisit Kyle's sexual confusion.  Perhaps the network wasn't ready for them to really delve heavily into that particular issue in 1991.  I remember the show revisited the issue generally later when Steve discovers that one of his 30-something year old fraternity brothers is gay.  As for Kyle himself, I'd just say everyone is different, so he may well have had his issues ironed out, but wasn't ready to fully admit to them in an environment where he wouldn't necessarily be greeted with open arms, or perhaps he wasn't ready to commit to anything at that point.   

• Love 1

Most people I know had their sexual identity pretty well ironed out, if not exactly verbalized, by this age.

Yeah, but you'd be surprised how many people don't. I didn't until my sophomore year of college. And some people figure it out much, much later too.

Of course, it's much easier today to deal with any feelings like that you might get. In 1991, not so much. So the confusion and lack of resolution might not work for many people today, but you can fanwank that it made much more sense for things to play out the way they did when the show originally aired.

I hated the Kyle plot. And I wonder what happened there between the script and filming. Considering this show's history of chastising the sexually active, you'd think they'd forego the whole possibly-gay plot and just make it all about slut-shaming Kelly for "moving too fast." Instead, Kyle's sexual confusion is just ... confusing? And is never resolved. Which I guess doesn't strike very true to me. Most people I know had their sexual identity pretty well ironed out, if not exactly verbalized, by this age.

There are people that don't have their sexual identity figured out as adults. I don't see why a soon to be junior in high school would be expected to have it all figured out. I also appreciated that it wasn't wrapped up with a neat little bow. More and more we see how complicated it is (sexual identity/preferences). The plotline also works with Kelly who was most guys ideal girl at the time. I guy turning her down this way would raise flags with the audience. I mean, Brandon turned her down but it wasn't because of a lack of sexual interest in a overall sense.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 1
And is never resolved. Which I guess doesn't strike very true to me. Most people I know had their sexual identity pretty well ironed out, if not exactly verbalized, by this age.

I could (but won't) provide a fairly lengthy list of people I know personally, including myself, who didn't have their sexual (or gender) identity anything close to ironed out by that age. 

Dyan's answering machine message may be the best thing ever. That thing totally ruins all his stupid "bad, dangerous to know" vibes he says he has. Seriously, Dylan, listen to your answering machine!

For real, that must be one of the dorkiest outgoing messages I've ever heard. Yikes. 

I have wondered about this too!  Then I realized that while the 90s pressed forward with some of these issues, sexuality was not really addressed at all most of the time.  People were more conservative, less understanding, knowledgeable and open minded back then.  It was a big deal when Ryan Phillipe played the first gay character on one of the afternoon Soap Operas.  So, I can believe that they would lightly imply that Kyle is gay without going into it too much.

I agree, that they slut-shamed Kelly for moving too fast.  I seem to recall the first time around that Kelly went through a "slut" stage.  As i'm re-watching, I totally don't get that from her.  She had one episode where she dressed sort of vampy for a Halloween party and Steve makes assy comments about "making it with Kelly Taylor"... but I really don't see a slut.  More like a confused / unsure teenager.

Like Dylan's Drew Barrymore era, I'd fanwank that Kelly's "slut" reputation was developed prior to season 1 and just stuck around with her during her high school years, despite whatever future retcons we learn about her later (didn't we later learn Mr. He Didn't Even Bring a Blanket! spread rumors about her or something?)

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

What I'm gonna say is, that at the same time I watched 90210, I was also a big fan of Hey Dude!, which was Kyle Lasher's (I remembered his name guys!) more regular gig. I actually considered naming my daughter Bradley because of that show which was terrible, but wonderful ... Not unlike a younger-set 90210 with less braying.

DAVID LASCHER ... Kyle was the character. David was the real guy.

• Love 1

What song is playing on the dvd version of the episode where Dylan is in his old cabana after his surfing accident and he's remembering when he was little and he was looking back at times he had with his father. I really like that song and I cannot find the name of it can you please help me with that.

On September 9, 2015 at 1:57 AM, Petunia13 said:

It's confusing having the visual aids in one thread and the podcast link in another and them both having different titles.

It also divides the discussion on what could be merged, and diminishing what would be more enlightening or entertaining for those who inadvertently overlook the seperate different named thread for the same podcast.

We can't merge the threads: it would lock out users who comment on the editorial posts without entering the forums. We've been doing it this way for several months and people seem to have figured it out.

That was weird. Is this an old post that just came thru again?

I wrote that in sept 9 and you answered me then so I understood you those months ago, like you mentioned . Did you get this message sent again like it was new?