Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Battle For Red Hook

Fuck, I thought Fet was a goner for sure. Kelly had him and then almost infected him. At least, Zach seems to have come to his senses and is afraid of his strigoi mother.

Eichhorst was really obnoxious tonight. Fet and Eph came damn close to killing him. and I was rooting for them. Why didn't they have UV lights set up as a booby trap at Fet's like Palmer did at his place?

Justine and the people of Red Hook were very brave. That fight was intense and scary as hell. I wonder how many people were infected. It will come to nothing, but it was a good moment for humanity.

Good on Nicki for coming out to help fight. She, Dutch, and Fet can have a menage trois. However, for the first time I saw some potential for Fet and Nora who seems done with Eph.

OMG, the preview. Run, Coco, run!

• Love 4

Loved seeing NorFet together on a mission and protecting Zach.

Who finally gets it, Kelly is no longer human.

Dutch can die anytime now, ditto for her useless GF.

The people of Red Hook answered Justine call to arms, hope our group joins forces with her.

She is awesome.

• Love 4

Abraham grumpy and determined was pretty funny. His priorities are messed up at times. One minute he is determined to kill the Master, then Eichhorst, and the next he is going after the Lumen. He needs to pick a strategy and stick to it. 

The Mayor trying to save his wealthy friends and then booking it to Manhattan was hilariously typical of a politician. 

Another thing, while I understand why Eph is reluctant to tell Justine about the Master, she would be better off knowing the truth. At least, she would understand that the strigoi are not mindless monsters, but are his tools. She  might be able to better defend Red Hook or at least create an evacuation plan, not that it would save all those people.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

I usually watch it taped and ff, so was this a new intro? I liked it. Justine is a bad ass! I wanted to yell at Nora, just throw a fucking switch! I watched in slow motion. The worms were on Fet's hands but didn't bury, providence? When is Kelly going to succeed at finally getting Zach? She's a horrible vambie.

• Love 2

I was wondering if the intro was new. I had never seen it before, but I don't always catch the beginning so I was not sure. The graphics were not good.

Nora's image was awful, Mia Mastro is beautiful.

Plus I'm giving side eye to how Gus was featured in that shitty intro.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 4

OK, just so we're all clear on this: some day, there may come a time when I've been an actual real life big shot vampire hunter for like seventy years, and am surprisingly comfortable battling them with sword canes and nail guns. Should this come to pass, then if any of you ever see me in a close range life or death battle against a super-fast vampire Nazi, listen up.

You know what is not helpful? Drinking heavily all day and then firing a rifle at us!

• Love 3

In what world would Fet not accompany Setrakian to face off with Eichorst? He has always been protective of him.

Why was it that it was the two people who've Justine never met the ones who went to talk to her? Wouldn't Nora have been more effective for that?

They are obviously trying to start a Nora and Fet thing but the team ups were not logical.

I actually liked the new comic book style intro but I wonder why it took them so long to bust it out.

Abraham grumpy and determined was pretty funny. His priorities are messed up at times. One minute he is determined to kill the Master, then Eichhorst, and the next he is going after the Lumen. He needs to pick a strategy and stick to it.

This on the other hand bothered me.  Why is he so all over the place after all these years?

In what world would Fet not accompany Setrakian to face off with Eichorst? He has always been protective of him.

Yes, this annoyed me too.  Again, this just seems like lack of attention to characterization.

ETA: the episode title for this thread should be The Battle for Red Hook.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

I liked the opening titles. I found this episode tense and exciting. Dutch's girlfriend is totally a hypocrit and it seemed like Dutch was finally catching on that the girlfriend had a negative affect on her. But, no, instead Dutch realized that they needed hate sex. Oh well. I think Kelly will be killed by the end of the season-her role is played out now that Zack realizes she's actually dead. I fear for Justine as well as I think she will be targeted. I loved how she rallied the residents as I was afraid that the police would be slaughtered and overrun.

• Love 1

I love how this Nora/Fet thing was literally started by having her walk in front of him wearing only a shirt as they both watched TV. There was no reason for that to happen except that a really lazy writer said what's a way we can have Nora and Fet interact so that we can start setting them up to be a couple? Okay, let's have her just come out of the shower wearing only a shirt and just stand next to him for thirty seconds- that's set up enough, right?

God, this show's so bad. I'm out after this season. I feel guilty about stopping with only four episodes left, so I'm finishing it til then, but it's just too dumb. Why do all they all have fantastic aim at the vamp's heads except when it comes to Eichorst and Kelly? Only them, no matter how many times they see them, no matter how close they are, no matter how many people are shooting, no one can ever get them in the fucking head.

• Love 5

I think I'm done.  I can deal with dumb and crazy so long as there is something fun about the show.  The Last Ship is dumb, yet fun.  This show is just dumb.  The only person I even care to root for is a genocidal Nazi maniac.  I'm actively wishing for the death of a kid. I feel like when something as useless as a tv show gets me to such lows, it's time to move on.  Such a pity because I was completely enthralled with the idea of dirty disgusting vampires and enjoyed some of the first season.  I'll likely check in to read the recaps to see if there's any improvements, but I really need my Sunday evenings to consist of something better than Nazi-loving and kid-death-wishing.  

• Love 2

Yeah, I was wondering if I'd been missing that intro this whole time. I think it fits the show; it's appropriately cheesy.

Nikki: "Did Fet teach you that?"

Dutch: "Yeah"

Nikki: "Do you love h-

Me: *stabs at FF button*

Lol at Eph's exasperated sigh when Abraham started raving about the Master to the councilwoman et al. These people can barely grasp the outbreak as a disease, so you might want to break the news of the real life Dracula in our midst a bit more delicately.

I didn't realize how much I cared about Fet until Kelly's worm goo got on him, like I almost had a legit tantrum. We can't lose Fet while the likes of Nikki, Coco etc are still walking around.

You know, for two factions who claim they want to destroy each other, Team Abraham and Team The Master sure do have a lot of long, taunting conversations that ultimately lead to nothing. No wonder it's taken Setrakian 90 odd years to get to this supposed final showdown.

• Love 4

You know, for two factions who claim they want to destroy each other, Team Abraham and Team The Master sure do have a lot of long, taunting conversations that ultimately lead to nothing. No wonder it's taken Setrakian 90 odd years to get to this supposed final showdown.

Don't forget Quinlan!  Even though he wasn't in this episode, he's been wanting to take down the Master for longer than that. 

I *think* the show is trying to show us that Eichorst is faster than a bullet, with all of his ducking when he's shot at.  Why Kelly can avoid bullets, I don't know (plot).

I feel like we get mostly good atmosphere, the hand to hand battle was OK, it was nice to see the humans score a victory, but I feel like the show is standing still.  Kelly tries for Zach again, fails.  Abe tries for Eichorst (and vice versa); fail.  Yawn.  I don't care about Dutch and her gf, or love triangle. 

The heroes are just reacting to stuff.  OK, there are some vague plans about getting Eichorst, or Palmer.  We need to be building to some kind of momentum.  Gus and Angel should be merging with everyone's else's stories.   For evil, what's the Master up to?  Nothing important I guess!  The Master has a special hate-on for Eph, but why?  Because he had to leave his old body?  The virus?  There's no arch-enemy feel.

I did like the Eichorst/Kelly scene.  It was interesting to see him guiding her.  I also liked Nora getting to do something, though she was still stuck with Zach but she did get bonus Fet time too.

Show needs to step it up for me.  I did like the campy opening credits, though I wouldn't have noticed them (I usually FF) if you guys hadn't been talking about them!

Edited by raven

I'm hoping Fet, Norah, Setrakian, Justine and her police captain form Team Get Shit Done. Because I could really care less about the rest of the "good guys".

(Sorry Gus, but it's been almost a full season since you did anything.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Why are they waiting until now to suddenly give the show opening credits?  It's just weird timing.  And they somehow were both good and bad.  Some shots were kind of cool, but a few looked cheap (Nora.)  And they somehow made Eichorst even creepier.  That grin of his in it kind of made him look like The Joker.

A fun episode with all the action stuff, but a lot of stuff that kind of made me scratch my head.  While I'm all for allowing different characters to interact with one another, the way they split it up for this episode was just odd.  Having Eph being the one to back Abe just seemed strange, considering how it was always Abe and Vasiliy that seemed to have the tighter bond.  I could buy him being willing to leave early to help Abe with Eichorst, instead of Eph.  Especially since I don't buy that Eph would leave Zach, after Kelly had been this close to getting him an episode ago.  If just felt like they wanted to have Eph be there for the big showdown, along with having Nora and Vasiliy interact, and perhaps make the stupid love triangle into a freaking pentagon (assuming there is anything left between Eph and Nora.)

Speaking of which, Dutch and Nicki are the worst.  Just when it looked like it might be done, they instead double-down by not only having them have hate-sex, but then Nicki magically pops up and saves Dutch's life, so now Dutch is probably going to feel indebted to her.  Whatever: the whole thing is stupid.  Just go find someone else, Vasiliy.

Justine is awesome.  As his her solider buddy.  I really hope they keep kicking ass, but I kind of fear the show will foolishly kill her off instead (solider guy is definitely a goner, I think.)

Whatever issues I might have with Eph, Corey Stoll slayed me with the way he delivered the "I can't believe I voted for that guy!" response to the mayor bailing.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

Whatever issues I might have with Eph, Corey Stoll slayed me with the way he delivered the "I can't believe I voted for that guy!" response to the mayor bailing.

Probably my favourite moment of the season so far. That or drunk Eph a few weeks back. Corey Stoll is very good at being funny. Its a shame Eph is such a mess the rest of the time.

Nora and Fet could be interesting together but the writing for them has been so lazy that its hard to care. Dutch and the more annoying girlfriend are also terrible. I like Dutch when she's with the group, but that girlfriend is a total momentum killer.

I just wish this show was better plotted. I like the actors, I like the idea, but it just doesn't come together to be more than the sum of its parts.

• Love 2

Are there only 3 hours of daylight? Or are they just all really terrible with time management? Because it seems like they always get caught out in the dark.

I'm still baffled as to why Eph is so important that the Master has to concoct plans to kidnap Zach. It's not like Eph is much of a threat. All his plans go to crap before they come to fruition.

• Love 3

Are there only 3 hours of daylight? Or are they just all really terrible with time management? Because it seems like they always get caught out in the dark.

This drives me crazy.  I'm a night person, but ffs, if there are vampires strolling around in the dark hours, I'm probably going to be ok getting up at the crack of dawn for a while.  These people can't seem to walk two blocks without getting caught in the dark.  

• Love 2

It's only the hotness of a finally bald Corey Stoll that's keeping me around, because this show is too damn stupid for words.

Or am I the dumb one, because for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the US military has not swooped in to help them?  I just cannot get past it.  That and the fact that these are freaking vampires and people still seem to be bumbling around town all day and night not too worried about what's going on.  

Finally bald Corey Stoll can only keep me interested for so long...

"Or am I the dumb one, because for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the US military has not swooped in to help them?  I just cannot get past it."

Thank you for saying that...as a long time horror fan everybody knows that the military are always around....this "bugs" me as well...they will probably show up later and screw things up!

I like Nora and Fet as a couple, they have some chemistry...Dutch is alright only as a member of the group not that stupid love triangle BS that the writers are spinning.

This show is hit or miss with me...sometimes campy good...sometimes stupid!

Thank you for saying that...as a long time horror fan everybody knows that the military are always around....this "bugs" me as well...they will probably show up later and screw things up!

I like Nora and Fet as a couple, they have some chemistry...Dutch is alright only as a member of the group not that stupid love triangle BS that the writers are spinning.

This show is hit or miss with me...sometimes campy good...sometimes stupid!

I think that it's supposed to be like that because of that billionaire's influence. That is why he is so important to the Master. Also you can only guess how many other influential people are also on the Master's side.

But I admit that they haven't explained that properly - and also they did a complete mess with the strigoi being caught by cameras, because evidently that would've been the final straw before the military intervenes.

For all those who criticize the show, you shouldn't read the books. The books are hilarious compared to this show. 

Edited by Trois

The Battle of Red Hook was exciting and satisfying to me.  Nice to see people banding together and taking action.  Justine Feraldo/Geraldine Ferraro, you're the best.  And I sympathized with Justine's moment of panic too.  That just makes her a realistic human being.  

But as for the Mayor, he was not interested in being a hero or pretending to be!  Weirdly, his focus on the Upper East Side reminded me of how Mayor Bloomberg made a big initiative for building city bike stands all over New York City . . . oh except for the Upper East Side, where there are zero.  Even though there are five or six destination museums on the Upper East Side.  Rumor had it that the mayor's rich friends didn't want any uncouth bike stands or sweaty tourists in front of their townhouses.

I have a really bad feeling about Dutch's girlfriend.  I think she's going to put Dutch in danger.

But Nora-Fet would be okay with me.  Eph is a douche and deserves dumping.

As for why the Master is so interested in Zac:  the Master is planning to punish his greatest enemies by forcing them to babysit Zac in one small room for all of eternity!!  Bwah hah hah!

• Love 1

Good on Nicki for coming out to help fight. She, Dutch, and Fet can have a menage trois. However, for the first time I saw some potential for Fet and Nora who seems done with Eph.

When I saw Vet entering their apartment, I thought just the same!

Give us some passion please!!! Not just killing!

:-)

Didn't like the opening credits, I know it's closer to the book as a  comic sequence, but feels like introducing the Ninja Turtles fighting the Strigoi after all...

Edited by ttgreif

I have a really bad feeling about Dutch's girlfriend.  I think she's going to put Dutch in danger.

When Dutch was questioning her story, I wondered if Nicki was working for Palmer and/or the Master, but then she went to save Dutch so I figured that I got that wrong.

(Sorry Gus, but it's been almost a full season since you did anything.)

That's not true at all. He delivers tandoori.

As for why the Master is so interested in Zac:  the Master is planning to punish his greatest enemies by forcing them to babysit Zac in one small room for all of eternity!!  Bwah hah hah!

That is the most evil scheme I have ever heard.

• Love 1

It's only the hotness of a finally bald Corey Stoll that's keeping me around, because this show is too damn stupid for words.  .... Finally bald Corey Stoll can only keep me interested for so long...

I know you guys hate the wig but I think Eph needs it.  All during the street melee battle, I kept thinking "it's a good thing that Eph isn't there".  I kept imagining him getting clocked in the head by his own side because at night a bald white guy doesn't look much different from a strigoi.

• Love 1