Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Anna Trebunskaya

• Start Topic

Poor Anna. She should've been rewarded with Nick Carter, Alex Skaralatos or Victor Espinoza for her comeback, not punished with Gary Busey.

Seeing as I have Victor pegged for an early elimination, he isn't a reward, IMO. I'm actually pissed my other favorite, Karina, is saddled with him.

I'm torn between wanting Gary off my TV screen as soon as possible, and wanting to see more of Anna. God help me but I think the latter will win out and I'll be rooting for her to make it to about week 5.

Seeing as I have Victor pegged for an early elimination, he isn't a reward, IMO. I'm actually pissed my other favorite, Karina, is saddled with him.

Putting up with Victor would still be better than Busey, IMO. At least an inability to dance seems to be the most of Victor's problems, not the least of them.

Putting up with Victor would still be better than Busey, IMO. At least an inability to dance seems to be the most of Victor's problems, not the least of them.

Oh, of course, he's better than Busey. But Nick, Carlos, Andy, and maybe Alek are the actual male "rewards" of the season in my eyes. I didn't mean to imply Busey > Victor, I just meant the other four > Victor.

Edited by Mbeaker

I wonder if it wasn't so much the show, but the higher ups that she had issues with. She hasn't been around since Rob Wade & Co took over and seems to not have issues with them (yet).

Busey isn't just troubled, he has actual extensive brain damage. He is mentally disabled . I wonder if the judges will take that into account the way they have with the physical limitations of contestants in prior years.

I'm thinking no...

Edited by VioletMarx

Last night, the way things were shaping up, after Allison got moved to Andy and Gary was announced on JKL,  it looked like Lindsay was going to get paired w/Gary. That would have been soooo wrong. Gary's a handful and then some. I'm glad they called in the Tough Russian Redhead.  If anyone can get him to cooperate (somewhat), it's her. Lindsay would have been squashed like a bug. 

Anna's comment on twitter "Life throws a curveball at you you better catch it #workingmom #blessed" tells me she's grateful to be back, regardless of the partner.  She gets what I assume is a very good paycheck for the next 12 weeks*, she gets to rekindle her fame and pull in her fans who may have drifted off and this of course quite possibly opens doors to other opportunities where other employers may have assumed she was off the market for motherhood. 

*they have to pay her to remain available to the finale even if she gets eliminated. And she'll probably be in pro dances, bumpers, etc.

Busey isn't just troubled, he has actual extensive brain damage. He is mentally disabled . I wonder if the judges will take that into account the way they have with the physical limitations of contestants in prior years.

I'm thinking no...

What happened to him to cause extensive brain damage? Drugs? Or did he have a stroke or an accident or something? 

Motorcycle accident.

Ahh thanks. I didn't know about that. Well, I guess good for him that he's taking on all these reality show challenges considering his own physical challenges.

• Love 1

Oh, of course, he's better than Busey. But Nick, Carlos, Andy, and maybe Alek are the actual male "rewards" of the season in my eyes. I didn't mean to imply that Busey>Victor, I just meant that the other four>Victor.

I understand, but still respectfully disagree. Victor may not be typical man candy, but chances are he'll still be much easier to handle than Gary Busey, under any circumstances.

I think my point is being missed. You reference Busey. But, again, I'm agreeing with you on Victor being easier to handle and better than Gary. The "four" I referred to are Nick, Carlos, Andy, and Alek (not Gary Busey). If you think Victor is a prize over those four, fair enough.

It really was. It's one of my all time favorites. That ending move!

The utter blandness of the Troupe and the majority of pro numbers nowadays have made me really miss Anna's dancing.

I don't expect much of Gary Busey but I hope Anna at least makes it a couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see if her style as a teacher has changed any since she was last on the show.

• Love 1

Oh man, I was so happy to see Anna will be back on the show, until I saw who she was partnered with. When she dances, I can't watch anyone but her anyway, but it's spectactular (and so very rare, unless she's with a pro) when she has someone who at least has the potential to draw my attention. Ugh. At least we'll get to see her in pro dances.

Anna Trebunskaya: Zero Poker Face

No kidding.  One of my favorite clips is from the year that she had Evan Lysacek.  That week, the celebs were in charge of designing the pros' costumes, and Evan had proposed some hideous color combination and design for Anna's costume.  She took one look at it and looked directly into the camera with an expression that said, "I am SO going to hurt him!"

I couldn't help laughing at Anna's IG but at the same time, the train wreck has already started. I don't remember the event (an awards show) nor the starlet in question, but Gary approached a well-known personality who didn't have a clue who he was. He walked right up to her, hugged her and gave her a slobbery cheek kiss. She almost jumped out of her skin and even though she didn't say "ewwww" her face did.

His brain damage is both cognitive and emotional. He does outrageous things like a child who does something naughty but doesn't know it's naughty. He drives colleagues crazy with irrational behavior and irrational comments but is genuinely hurt when they finally can't take another minute of him and attack him in a furious rage. Some think he knows what he's doing but from what I've read about the nature of his brain damage, I don't think he has a clue. Hugging the actress reminded me of the behavior of a child who has Down's Syndrome. They hug everyone and can't imagine the other person doesn't love it.

It bothers me that he's on the show because it's hardly fair to his partner and he becomes the butt of jokes and the object of wrath. Granted, Anna is probably one of the best Pros to handle him and she did sign up for it. Maybe he will do better than he has in some of his former appearances on shows like this, but I have an ominous feeling about the whole thing.

Watching Gary usually makes me laugh, groan or gnash my teeth, but I feel a bit guilty while doing so. It's sort of like laughing when someone falls down the stairs spilling their armload of books all over the place. Its not funny. . .exactly. But in certain circumstances you can hardly keep from laughing. A big problem will be if the viewers find him endearing which they often do. He might last longer than some will be able to bear.

• Love 2

It bothers me that he's on the show because it's hardly fair to his partner and he becomes the butt of jokes and the object of wrath. Granted, Anna is probably one of the best Pros to handle him and she did sign up for it. Maybe he will do better than he has in some of his former appearances on shows like this, but I have an ominous feeling about the whole thing.

This is like the Billy Dee Williams situation all over again. 

I've gotta wonder about Gary's management, the ones who supposedly care about him, if only for the continuing revenue stream he provides.  Do they really think he's up to it?  The difference of course is Gary's temper - wasn't there an incident on the Apprentice where he nearly came to blows with someone on his team?

If Billy Dee hadn't voluntarily withdrawn, we can only wonder how far he would have gone into the competition.

I too have an ominous feeling about this. Some things just aren't very funny.

• Love 3

I've had the same thoughts. He might be someone who is unmanageable, I don't know. He did get in a fight with

Meatloaf (?) who became violently enraged at him. Other cast members had to step in and pull both of them away. It wasn't funny, it was frightening. Being only with Anna will be a different situation but I agree with you. I don't think they should keep offering these shows to him.

In observing him on two shows, I thought he was either doing something inappropriate or frustrating most of the time. It was so uncomfortable to watch.

Yikes, I didn't know all that about Gary Busey. It's pretty sad. I hope for both his sake and Anna's that they are out early. Asking him on the show wasn't really fair to him if he has a disability of that nature, nor is it fair to Anna. 

I don't remember the event (an awards show) nor the starlet in question, but Gary approached a well-known personality who didn't have a clue who he was. He walked right up to her, hugged her and gave her a slobbery cheek kiss. She almost jumped out of her skin and even though she didn't say "ewwww" her face did.

Are you thinking about when he was all over Jennifer Garner on the red carpet? I don't want to think that he's done this multiple times.

(It probably won't surprise you to learn that Jennifer got a lot of flak for being visibly unhappy with the situation. Because god forbid a woman not react well to being accosted like that.)

• Love 3

(It probably won't surprise you to learn that Jennifer got a lot of flak for being visibly unhappy with the situation. Because god forbid a woman not react well to being accosted like that.)

...and I'm sure Ryan Seacrest got no flak for his "Hi girls how are you".

That's the one. It has been so long I totally forgot it was Jennifer Garner AND that he had kissed her on the neck. Sorry for the misinformation, but glad you found the video, Galax. I didn't know she got a lot of flak for her reaction, but honestly, I was horrified for her. It's just this kind of unexpected and inappropriate behavior that keeps people feeling constantly on guard around him. I would not like being in the same studio with this guy for six hours a day doing something that involves close physical contact.

He was clueless that he had done anything wrong. That's one of the big problems. Let's hope he is eliminated first. Why do the producers hire a person with problems like this? It makes no sense to me at all.

• Love 1

I'm freaked out for Anna. And I thought it was interesting that they had Busey sitting in the makeup area while the rest of the cast was in the celebquarium (if it's still called that).

We really missed Anna and were thrilled to learn she was back, but not with him.

I watched AllAccess during the West Coast time period and it was interesting to learn how universally loved Gary seems to be by the entire cast. Val and Tamar didn't engage as much with other Pros & Celebs as the rest of the cast but Val immediately moved front and center to watch Gary's dance. Bindi talked to him a lot, as did Derek. Dominic Bowden and Kym mentioned how much everyone loved him as well. So evidently he has not been engaging in the unexpected inappropriateness I've witnessed on other shows.

Anna is handling him very well from the bits and pieces we could see. She must have a lot of patience.

There was a lot of great Ballroom dancing from Anna and Jonathon.  I always loved Angel.

Love this! No one does those gorgeous floating lifts like Anna & Jonathon.

When I think of pro dances with Anna, I always think of her foxtrot with Jonathan from the season 1 dance off. (Sorry for the potato quality, it's before everything had an HD version!) But that dance to Angel is super pretty and makes me think maybe I'll have to reconsider. That dance makes it worth listening to the song.

I love watching Anna dance.

And Jonathan ... I'm not sure I'd want him as a teacher (he kind of killed that desire when he did Marie Osmond's doll dance), but if I could dance I'd love to dance with him. The guy is like a Disney prince had a baby with Gilbert Blythe.

it's too bad we're past dances/dancers like those. Now everything is club grinding by Mandy Moore. None of the pro dances are slow and pretty anymore. It's all fast and sexy (and honestly, pretty forgettable).

• Love 1

it's too bad we're past dances/dancers like those. Now everything is club grinding by Mandy Moore. None of the pro dances are slow and pretty anymore. It's all fast and sexy (and honestly, pretty forgettable).

Anna and Val had some really memorable numbers over the seasons as well. I love when they dance together. My favs are 1) the ballet duet they did with 2 professional ballet dancers 2) they're funky cha cha sung live by Smokey Robinson and 3) their Rumba sung live by Bocelli & JLO.

Of course all the females are exceptional dancers......but Anna has a sharpness and crispness and technical effortlessness in ballroom that I just love to watch.  Karina of course as well. 

I also totally agree with you about Mandy Moore. I'm no prude either... but when EVERY all female pro number looks the same it just gets boring. Why is having a straight up ballroom or Latin pro number so foreign to TPTB??? I know the pros used to take turns doing opening numbers and now they are all really too busy but why can't they mix it up with other ballroom choreographers besides Mandy? 

My favorite pro number from last season was Latin Night. Holding my breath that they do that again and add a pro ballroom number (and NOT just a bumper) this season as well.

I think Mandy has a job to produce pro dances and she choreographs what she knows. She doesn't know enough ballroom/latin to be able to produce these dances, unless she gets a lot of help from the pros (who I think basically have to choreograph it for her).  Add to that Wade's apparent love for club grinding and we wind up with the forgettable messes we're seeing.

Most gorgeous dance IMO: Anna, Jonathon, Hallelujah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVE4Csnaas

• Love 1

I think we should all chip in and send Anna a Hickory Farms gift basket.  I cannot imagine, nor do I try, what it would be like to spend almost every waking moment with Gary day after day.  Poor woman.