Type keyword(s) to search

The Kids In The Hall - General Discussion

• Start Topic

One of my favourites ever was the sausages sketch from season five. It had such a dystopian, David Lynchian, "Eraserhead" feel to it that it really resonated with me. It's disgusting and hilarious and totally Bruce.

(edited)

One of my favourites ever was the sausages sketch from season five. It had such a dystopian, David Lynchian, "Eraserhead" feel to it that it really resonated with me. It's disgusting and hilarious and totally Bruce.

This one, right?  Yes,totally high concept and brilliant.

So great this stuff is up there totally legally AND with interviews with them!  According to this, "Love and Sausages" really got Bruce in trouble with the rest of them.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
(edited)

Talk about how the Kids in the Hall, years after the end of their show, rather than just doing another sketch show, instead did something which was both completely different and yet also totally familiar all at once.  Did it work?  What say you?

Edited by Kromm

One of my absolute FAVES was the Chicken Lady on a date.  She made the omlette from eggs she got from her own 'booooody!'  I would occasionally call a friend at work who was also a KITH fan and tell him I had something from my boooody for him.  This was a great show.  SO happy to see a thread here for it!

• Love 2

Ah man, I love this show! I used to watch it in high school years ago during its initial run, and I was shocked that CBC let so many things slide! I also had the good fortune of seeing these guys live on stage, and I had good seats - about 5 rows back. They are as good, if not better, live, than they are on the show. These guys are amazing improv comics!

My favourite sketches are many; "Mad With Power" ("Perkins! Get under your desk!"), "Bear Attack", "Worker's Compensation", "Are you laughing at my car?", "The Jean Jacket" (the one where the guy trades his jean jacket to Satan for a weed dreadlocks), and anything with The Sizzlers. So many I can't remember here, so many classics! This show was consistently great....there were some duds, but most of the time it was awesome!

Edited by canucktvwatcher

We talked about "Running F*****" in EHG Mark I as a great example of KITH's doing it's thing:

The odd thing is if this came out today, I bet a lot of people would act all upset.  From both sides (as either "endorsing" or "mocking").

they're all Canadians so why didn't Lorne hire them for the increasingly sad SNL?

Mark and Bruce did write for SNL for a year, with Mark doubling as a featured player.  Didn't go very well.

Wow, I loved this show back in the late '90's, early 2000, when it first aired.  I still see occasional reruns on the comedy channel.

These guys made the most convincing women of any comedy show ever.  Loved it when Dave Foley played the French hooker  and Scott played the housewife/mother in all those sketches.  And Bruce as the vapid, self absorbed teen pop star Tammy was always good for a laugh.  I still smirk when I remember two of the Chickenlady skits, one when she's riding the kid's horsey ride outside a store and keeps asking for quarters, and the other when she and the bearded lady go to visit her childhood home, only it isn't.

But my favourite was always anything with the glamorous gay, Buddy Cole.  His dialogue pushed the censors to their limits, no doubt.

From time to time, Mr. Boston Gal goes around the house singing, "These are the Daves I know I know...these are the Daves I know..."

Loooooove that one.

Also: "I will wash your mouth out with soup!"

"I think you mean 'soap', dear."

"Never contradict me in front of the child!!"

"Mmmm... soup."

Handsome guy song is hilarious when that wrinkled, overweight guy gives this cocky smile, believing that he is a stone cold fox with the ladies.

• Love 2

The two "Will Do" sketches are my favorites. I've loaned too much stuff to people in my life and never got anything in return but empty promises. Kevin McDonald played a perfect manipulative psychopath: continuous monotone like he's reading off a card, not a trace of emotion, and always looking like he's staring at something ten feet behind your head while never blinking. Even in prison, he wins. 

One of my absolute FAVES was the Chicken Lady on a date.  She made the omlette from eggs she got from her own 'booooody!'  I would occasionally call a friend at work who was also a KITH fan and tell him I had something from my boooody for him.  This was a great show.  SO happy to see a thread here for it!

Oh my word, Dave's face when he's told the eggs were fresh, right out of her body, is pure horrified genius.

I was beyond thrilled to see them live in Boston 2014. Loved them for ages. I was sick for a month back in the mid 90's with pneumonia and I'd just watch their shows on tape. They helped me get through that awful time.

So many favorites, definitely love SAUGAGES for sure. I've had a crush on each one of them at various times to boot.

Loved Mark McKinney in the Tucker/mouse trap skit. "Mouse pooped in my bread, ate my bread" and "Now I know where you live, now I know where you live".

Where is my indian drum??? Look skyward moron!!! No drum no party!

The Do Re Mi sing along with all of them. Its just a happy little thing that always makes me smile.

Dave Foley as the hillbilly who gets kicked in the head by the cow with Kevin and Mark as his befuddled brothers, "He appears to be having diff-ICK-ulty getting the salt."

Career Ending Moments in Showbiz 1962 "Thanks Hitler"

Canada Abandons the Monarchy

So many more so I'll just pause here for now.

Truly one of the great KITH classics.
"But I can 'splain!"
"No, Ray. No . . . 'splanation is necessary, it's your drinking."
Also, I just now realized that all the bartenders in the ending montage are the same guy.

• Love 1

Man oh man I miss this show. Best sketch/skit comedy show! Imho. Reading all your posts is making me remember and crack up laughing.  My friend keeps looking at me weirdly hah. I'll crusha his head!! Bawahahaha.  I grew up in Buffalo, NY and we would go to Toronto to party, and get the best Molson's ever. I always felt a kinship with them

On 8/12/2015 at 8:47 AM, Betelnut said:

Girl Drink Drunk and "Salty Ham."

I could watch Salty Ham all day long. I loved the guys as Secretaries too, even the finale sketch where they all took their wigs off. LOVED this show. I'm sure there are so many I can't even think of right now.. Buddy Cole was a classic, and the sketch where Scott has a wife. "There's a rumor down at the docks that Scott's not gay anymore." "I guess I was in a hurry."

omg, I was watching a show called The Nineties  (Ninties?) on CNN.  They got to the KITH years and showed so many awesome clips.  The Chicken Lady!  Forgotten about her.  And they showed the very first ep with Dave and Scott in the sauna and Dave asking Scotts opinion about his new breasts!  LOLOLOLO yes thats right.  Heeeeeeee I'll you what, they were really nice too. Hah!

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Sorry for shouting but this is like the biggest ray of sunshine in a gloomy world filled with nonstop politics and imminent pandemic. I really hope this comes to pass and soon.