Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

The wildly bad answers for the century of Pompeii gave me the giggles.

I couldn't believe how off they all were. It's fine if you don't know something but it seemed very clear that the two who answered second and third were just trying to be opportunistic and really also had no idea.

18 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I have a feeling Laurie's weird "accent" may get on my nerves but she seems smart.  I was hoping Ben would win, though, when it was obvious Sally was out of the running.

It got on my nerves after two clues. It's not just the uptalk at the end of the word, but she also goes way down in the middle of the words. Every time she said "hundred" I winced on the inside. I'm sure she's a lovely person but I need her gone yesterday. This is how people felt about Buzzy, isn't it?

• Love 2

Personally, I could take Buzzy all day and half the night because he was aurally pleasing.  Laurie (and Laura before her) need to be silent because their manner of speaking makes my teeth clench.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:06 AM, tvaddict44 said:

I'd really like to know how many people have read Ulysses.  If you were an English major in college you may have read about it -  the Greek references, etc. - but I don't know a single person who read it. Once again for me, Latin saved the day.  I loved the stories we translated about Ulysses based on the Odyssey. I should check and see but I think this is the one that's written stream of consciousness - mostly all one long story with little punctuation.  Boring right up there with Moby Dick. War and Peace, and Remembrance of things past....

I received my bachelor's in English Lit and Creative Writing, but I read Odysseus and The Iliad in high school and read Ulysses (and more Joyce) in college. I enjoyed it. I hate the classics that everyone seems to love: Beowulf and Moby Dick.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I received my bachelor's in English Lit and Creative Writing, but I read Odysseus and The Iliad in high school and read Ulysses (and more Joyce) in college. I enjoyed it. I hate the classics that everyone seems to love: Beowulf and Moby Dick.

Beowulf was one of my least-favorite reads in school. I can read almost anything, but I freaking hated Beowulf!

I got Helter Skelter immediately and my mother pointed out to me that the Beatles didn't sing Helter Skelter. I then spent the rest of the think music arguing with her. (I still haven't found out who the hell she thought sang it!) 

• Love 3

I'm sorry I missed Tuesday's game -- I am a Beatles fan and remember Helter Skelter fairly well.  I wonder if I would have gotten FJ right.

But I'm not terribly sorry I missed Laurie's speech habit/pattern.  I don't think it's an accent, and it doesn't always appear.  It sounds to me like she dips her sentences towards the end, then brings them back up at the end -- the end doesn't sound much higher than the beginning to me, though.

Tonight, I had to laugh at Megan, hunting for the DD and picking every clue in that category except the one with the DD.  Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty good game (despite the runaway).

TS I got tonight were patina, Pirelli, House at Pooh Corner, volcanoes, and John and Priscilla Alden. 

For FJ, I waffled briefly between Italy and Norway, and ended up on Norway because of the fjords.

• Love 3

Laurie did really well this game, although her voice continues to annoy me. There were a few TS I got - rock, and another that escapes me right now. I initially said Italy for FJ and then remembered Northern Europe and quickly switched to Norway.

• Love 1

I really didn't notice any problem with Laurie's speech even after seeing it mentioned here. Congrats to her on her great game.

My ts's were Attila, Yankee, House at Pooh Corner and volcanoes.  FJ was not quite an instaget - I went with UK until I noticed 'mainland' in the clue and switched to Norway, mostly because of the fjords.

Re the patina answer for the blue/green stuff on copper and bronze, I would say that is verdigris not patina. 

Anyhow, a pretty good game even if it was a runaway.

• Love 2

What the heck kind of a job is a cancer registrar?  Laurie's weird speech affectation wasn't as pronounced tonight but it still bugged me.

I got ecology, Pirelli and House at Pooh Corner.  @Trey - I answered verdigris instead of patina.

Did anyone else scream out "Kit Carson City!" just for fun?  No?  Okay then.

• Love 3

I would also like to know more about what Laurie's job is! And knowing where she's from, I wonder if she picked up the vocal inflection in the course of getting rid of an accent?

• Love 1
(edited)

I still didn't notice anything annoying about Laurie's speech. If it's uptalk, that doesn't bother me unless it's overdone.

I got a few TS's. Patina, Pirelli, Carlos the Jackal... a couple of others. Crosshatch -- Was that a TS?

I didn't get FJ. I was thinking Spain at first, then my sister said Norway or Sweden. 

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

I'm amazed at all the people who are bothered by Laurie's voice.  I don't notice anything off about it, except she seems very exact in her pronunciation.  She certainly built up a huge lead early on and she's not afraid of betting big.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I still didn't notice anything annoying about Laurie's speech. If it's uptalk, that doesn't bother me unless it's overdone.

I got a few TS's. Patina, Pirelli, Carlos the Jackal... a couple of others. Crosshatch -- Was that a TS?

I didn't get FJ. I was thinking Spain at first, then my sister said Norway or Sweden. 

Yes, crosshatch was a TS. I figured it out, as well as ecology, rock, winningest, Attila the Hun, and Yankee. Did not get FJ; I momentarily thought of Scandinavia and then went off in the wrong direction to Italy and Greece.

I don't have a problem with Laurie's voice either.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I'm amazed at all the people who are bothered by Laurie's voice.  

Agreed.  I can't figure out what the heck you guys are talking about.

What the heck kind of a job is a cancer registrar?  

They keep detailed records about cancer patients; type of tumor, treatments, outcomes, all that.  It's how we learn who gets cancer, what may cause it, are there more or fewer cases of (lung, colon, lymphoma, etc.....) in the city or in the country, do prostate patients do better with surgery vs radiation, all that kind of info.  This just reminded me, I'm about due to  send my Tumor Registrar my radiation consult records for the first half of the year!

• Love 7

Weird. Laurie's voice doesn't bother me, either. I like her. She had vast knowledge, is quick to answer, doesn't pat herself on the back and seems genuinely pleased to win. I didn't get FJ. I suck at geography. My friend, fellow author Eileen Dreyer, was a Jeptestant. They had a whole category on Angora. Eileen, who didn't know one answer (question?) said, "Angora! Angora's as big as the bottom half of a bikini."

• Love 5

That question about Nixon in the opera category really pissed me off. It was an easy question and I know about the Nixon trip to China but not the Opera Nixon in China (watching on youtube now- pretty cool). But you didn't have to know about the opera because it was more of a history question. But the way it was worded! The guy singing, the photo, the round-about clue. I had no idea what they were asking. Annoying!

The Milan category was also annoying with no Teatro alla Scala question - maybe they could have put that in the opera category! And no Galleria question. I didn't do very well and I spent a lot of time in Milan. Then again maybe they always have one question in each category that really has to do with another field of study. I wonder if the writers have a pet name for those questions.

I thought t his game had a ton of dumb guesses by the two challengers

• Love 2

I find Laurie to be totally innocuous. I've noticed a bit of overpronunciation, but nothing that annoys me. 

Seemed like there were a lot of TS's last night. I got ecology, Yankee, House at Pooh Corner and volcanoes.

Got a nice laugh out of Carson City! I interpreted it as a shout-out to us loyal ptv posters...

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Weird. Laurie's voice doesn't bother me, either. I like her. She had vast knowledge, is quick to answer, doesn't pat herself on the back and seems genuinely pleased to win. I didn't get FJ. I suck at geography. My friend, fellow author Eileen Dreyer, was a Jeptestant. They had a whole category on Angora. Eileen, who didn't know one answer (question?) said, "Angora! Angora's as big as the bottom half of a bikini."

Angora? Like the animal/wool?
Clearly I would have done terribly with this category, too.

23 minutes ago, operalover said:

That question about Nixon in the opera category really pissed me off. It was an easy question and I know about the Nixon trip to China but not the Opera Nixon in China (watching on youtube now- pretty cool). But you didn't have to know about the opera because it was more of a history question. But the way it was worded! The guy singing, the photo, the round-about clue. I had no idea what they were asking. Annoying!

I wasn't paying too much attention and tuned in for the part of the clue that said "this president's historic visit to China in 1972". Basically, who was president in 1972, but it was one of those roundabout clues the writers seem to like so much.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

My friend, fellow author Eileen Dreyer, was a Jeptestant. They had a whole category on Angora. Eileen, who didn't know one answer (question?) said, "Angora! Angora's as big as the bottom half of a bikini."

What year was she a contestant? I'm curious about the Angora category clues.

I've heard of the Nixon opera, but I kept thinking it was titled Nixon and Mao. Maybe I was thinking of Frost/Nixon.

• Love 1

There was another contestant last year who had the same inflection when she said "hundred". She drove tons of people crazy.  Laurie is not as pronounced, but she does it too.  I noticed but it did not really grate like the other contestant (cannot remember her name).

• Love 3
(edited)

To me, the champ's speech pattern reminds me of a lower-pitched version of that lady from Office Space: "Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking? Just a moment?"

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

There was another contestant last year who had the same inflection when she said "hundred". She drove tons of people crazy.  Laurie is not as pronounced, but she does it too.  I noticed but it did not really grate like the other contestant (cannot remember her name).

It was Laura something-or-other I think, and it wasn't just "hundred", it was the end of every sentence.

I still cringe at the memory!

• Love 7

Not a horrible game tonight despite some wild-ass-guesses from Marjika.  And she should have had a BMS for Eve Plumb.

TS that I remember that I got were Swift, amalgamate (probably because I have quite a few mercury amalgam fillings!), Marc Cherry, and Louis XIV.

FJ was an instaget for me.

• Love 3

It wasn't a great game for me either.  My only ts was Goldsmith.  Actresses and movies and such stuff are not my strong suit. so I didn't get FJ either.  I said Judi Dench just to have something to say but I didn't really think it was right.

• Love 1

I got Longfellow, Goldsmith, Louis XIV, and Massenet. I also was lucky enough to see Helen Mirren as QE2 last year in "The Audience," for which she received the Tony. There's also a cute book called Mrs. Queen Takes the Train in which Her Majesty sneaks out of Buckingham Palace and travels incognito, and someone asks her if she's Helen Mirren

I agree Gwyneth Paltrow wasn't a very good guess, but Paltrow seems so princessy it's easy to think she's played royalty sometime.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I got Longfellow, Goldsmith, Louis XIV, and Massenet. I also was lucky enough to see Helen Mirren as QE2 last year in "The Audience," for which she received the Tony. There's also a cute book called Mrs. Queen Takes the Train in which Her Majesty sneaks out of Buckingham Palace and travels incognito, and someone asks her if she's Helen Mirren

I agree Gwyneth Paltrow wasn't a very good guess, but Paltrow seems so princessy it's easy to think she's played royalty sometime.

Oh yeah, Paltrow as royalty in a movie is believable, I just thought there was no way that woman could pull off Broadway ;)

• Love 2

When I worked at a dentists' office, there was a young woman at the front desk who pronounced those fillings, "aam-uhl-gaam."

Just coming up with "Plumb" shouldn't have been accepted.

FJ = Gwyneth Paltrow?  Sheesh. Yeah, instaget for me, too.  Anyone else remember Steve Martin's hosting of the Oscars when he referred to her as "that dam Helen Mirren" ?

• Love 3

I wish I could "not hear" Laurie's weird inflection.  It's driving me nuts!  Other than that, I'm impressed with her knowledge.  

I only got Louis XIV.  Marjika definitely should have gotten a BMS for Plum.

FJ was an instaget as I had just read an article about her the other day.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I worked at a dentists' office, there was a young woman at the front desk who pronounced those fillings, "aam-uhl-gaam."

Just coming up with "Plumb" shouldn't have been accepted.

FJ = Gwyneth Paltrow?  Sheesh. Yeah, instaget for me, too.  Anyone else remember Steve Martin's hosting of the Oscars when he referred to her as "that dam Helen Mirren" ?

I thought he had said, "That damn Judi Dench."

Marjika reminded me of Claire on Modern Family.

When talking about fruits and vegetables, I've always thought the word produce was pronounced pro-duce (as in pro ball).  Did I hear correctly that Trebek said prod-duce (as in cattle prod)?  And I think Laurie said it that way, too (maybe because Trebek did).  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And she should have had a BMS for Eve Plumb.

I disagree. A first name is not required unless (usually) there are more than one possibilities. Plumb was just enough... unless the judges thought Professor Plum was a possibility. 

I got FJ. Easy peasy. The only TS I got was Marc Cherry. I "knew" a few others but just couldn't pull them out of my head.

I finally noticed Laurie's speech thing that apparently bothers some people. It's no big deal to me. But then, I'm getting more and more tolerant of different ways of speaking.

• Love 4

Laurie is very much growing on me, although her voice continues to grate. I do like her, though.

I had no idea for FJ - I am terrible with movies and the like, but I guessed Helen Mirren based on what I have learned from watching Jeopardy and it turned out to be right! I couldn't have told you what the character was, though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SierraMist said:

When talking about fruits and vegetables, I've always thought the word produce was pronounced pro-duce (as in pro ball).  Did I hear correctly that Trebek said prod-duce (as in cattle prod)?  And I think Laurie said it that way, too (maybe because Trebek did).  

I also say pro-duce, and that's what I hear around me on the West Coast. Alex pronounces it funny - to my ears. I'll accept regionalism, but I cringed when he pointed out he didn't mispronounce it. I understand he wanted to make it clear it was about fruits and vegetables, but ugh!

I take back thinking Laurie sounds nervous. It seemed connected to d's in the middle of words though. 

I got be the match correct because there are events on my university campus a few times a year trying to get people registered. They bring puppies! (I think it's organized by Greek Life)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I disagree. A first name is not required unless (usually) there are more than one possibilities. Plumb was just enough... unless the judges thought Professor Plum was a possibility. 

I agree. I'm pretty sure they took Strawberry as an Answe without the Daryl so it would be inconsistent to require a first name here. 

• Love 2

My opinion about the BMS for Plumb was mostly because Laurie had just named the incorrect first name.  Had Laurie not said "Jan Plumb", then Marjika's answer of just "Plumb" would have been fine with me.  OTOH, if Laurie had just said "Plumb" and been ruled correct, I would have been fine with that, too.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

My opinion about the BMS for Plumb was mostly because Laurie had just named the incorrect first name.  Had Laurie not said "Jan Plumb", then Marjika's answer of just "Plumb" would have been fine with me.  OTOH, if Laurie had just said "Plumb" and been ruled correct, I would have been fine with that, too.

20 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Well, of course, the correct question was "Who is Carson Plumb?"

Absolutely!

I haven't noticed any verbal quirks of Laurie's. If she were as bad as that other woman from Marietta, GA with her "hundreeeeEEEEeeeed" I would've noticed it.

Prod-uce seems to be an Alex thing, much like the way he pronounced Long-Lived with a long eye sound in "lived."  Bothers me WAY more than any contestants' verbal quirks.  Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Pallida said:

I also say pro-duce, and that's what I hear around me on the West Coast. Alex pronounces it funny - to my ears. I'll accept regionalism, but I cringed when he pointed out he didn't mispronounce it. I understand he wanted to make it clear it was about fruits and vegetables, but ugh!

I am from the Midwest (Chicago) and say pro-duce. I used to date someone from Toronto, and he said prod-uce for fruits and veggies.

I never keep track of what answers I got correct and didn't but I got about 98% of this episodes answers correct, including FJ.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, vibeology said:

I agree. I'm pretty sure they took Strawberry as an Answe without the Daryl so it would be inconsistent to require a first name here. 

Yeah. It is not Marelka's (sp) fault that Laurie added extra and gave the answer away.

• Love 2