Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN (Vaulted)

So one of the CNN afternoon shows had a lengthy discussion of the Hamilton imbroglio then proceeded to discuss why everyone was talking about Hamilton rather than the fraud lawsuit Trump settled. Ummmmm hello CNN? I watched u for several hours -multiple panel discussions and straight reporting about Hamilton, briefest mention of fraud.

In this conversation about real vs. fake news and how there are too many stories to report and so the media gets distracted, it strikes me that that's all kind of bunk. Who is in a better position to cover every single scandal that Trump might want to distract you from than a 24 cable news network? Why not tackle all of those different stories with all of the resources at your disposable instead of getting everyone's opinions on the same story they heard about the last hour? And the hour before that? 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

In this conversation about real vs. fake news and how there are too many stories to report and so the media gets distracted, it strikes me that that's all kind of bunk. Who is in a better position to cover every single scandal that Trump might want to distract you from than a 24 cable news network? Why not tackle all of those different stories with all of the resources at your disposable instead of getting everyone's opinions on the same story they heard about the last hour? And the hour before that? 

CNN used to be able to cover multiple topics. There should be a thorough analysis of Trump's business dealings to make sure there is no conflicts of interests. The Trump Hotel in Toronto went bankrupt & there are mysterious Russian developers who owned the real estate part of the hotel . Why can't CNN send someone here to investigate? It's not that far from Atlanta.

I started watching CNN during the First Gulf War in 1991. They did excellent foreign affairs coverage.  Nowadays, you rarely see a foreign report unless it is a terrorist attack in Europe.

• Love 11

I saw both these segments and the fact that the anchors (and some of the viewers) are showing outrage against someone quoting Bannon and a banner that showed the words of the alt right founder is disgusting.  How about speaking out about the fact that Steve Bannon used(s) the n word and not just to explain something that someone else said.  And how about speaking out about the anti semantic, racist venom that Richard Spencer spreads all the while praising his idol, Donald Trump. 

I understand Brooke not wanting the hear the n word but in the context of that discussion it wasn't meant to offend anyone.  It was relaying what type of person Steve Bannon is.  That should never to glossed over or hidden from the public.  And Richard Spencer is a vile and disgusting person and he did say those words.  Why is it wrong to report that to the public?

If news organizations start shying away from calling out vicious and disgusting behaviors, beliefs, words and deeds then all will be truly lost.  How about explaining that these things are hard to hear or see but they will report it because you need to be informed about the direction your country is heading in order to stand up and fight those that would take away your freedoms and ruin your democracy.

• Love 9

The Donald doesn't like the media, so CNN & MSNBC don't have anything to lose ... why don't they just "out him in every way possible" until they get his attention.  SO, you don't like us, well we don't like you either & here's WHY (asshole)!!!

• Love 11

I love that John Berman, his sense of humor is great.  He also must need absolutely no sleep, as I see him on the morning show, then filling in for various anchors and then for Anderson at night.  Love that he finally got his way and got a turkey pardoning countdown clock yesterday, of all the craziness of this election season we needed some levity on the network.  A well-deserved rest for all this weekend. 

• Love 3

Retired General Mark Hertling (and anti-Trump I believe) was asked by Brooke Baldwin this morning for his assessment on General David Patraeus' name be bandied about for trump's cabinet. 

General Hertling praised General Patraeus but would not offer any opinion of him working for mr. big fat joke.

I hope he, like me, thinks, General Patraeus, haven't you been embrassed enough?  Please do not even entertain any thought of this hot mess.

• Love 3

Wow.

Watching CNN and Wolf has actually been pretty much holding Sean Spicer's feet to the fire re: tubby's latest pronouncements. Really hit him on the whole "millions voted illegally" and so-called fraudulent voting issues. Spicer can spin but Wolf actually made him pause on mention of the WaPo 4-Pinnochios designation. But he managed to spit out something nonsensical.

He (Wolf) made a big deal about how Gingrich was right about maybe the tweets aren't ideal and showed Scalia's (ugh) support of the First Amendment. 

Wolf has been pretty good at challenges today. Imho 

He's been doing better than Kornacke on MSNBC.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

Blitzer's acting like a journalist? Maybe I'll try CNN again.  Is there any schedule for those panels? I hate them so much--making everything equal in a mess of arguments where nothing is resolved and the loudest surrogates (that would be Tubby's) always go away without being discredited.

I was sure they'd be gone after the election (and take Kellyanne with them), but no such luck. Are the surrogates on during day and night both? Is there any show without them?

Also, did CNN do the panel thing during the primaries? I can't remember, but I know it was pretty early on that I gave up on CNN in the primaries because they were always showing Tubby's rallies in full.  For a while I wasn't only choosing MSNBC but also FOX seemed better than CNN. (And hilarious to me that Tubby still calls it the Clinton News Network when it was "all Tubby, all the time".)

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Padma said:

I was sure they'd be gone after the election (and take Kellyanne with them), but no such luck. Are the surrogates on during day and night both? Is there any show without them?

They never sleep. Because they're not human.

• Love 5

I can't believe that panel of horrors still appears on CNN.  Is CNN so desperate for ratings that they're keeping this worthless hour of babble?  I'd think getting parodied on SNL would make TPTB at CNN realize how ridiculous the panel format continues to be.

• Love 1

Was listening to the Diane Rehm Show today. 

The discussion was about how journalists can best respond to Trump. It was a very interesting back and forth with James Fallows, Margaret Sullivan and others participating.

Interesting, that is, until CNN contributor Scottie Nell Hughes spoke up, loudly, and tried to tell everyone that there are no facts anymore. Everything is subjective. Seemed to think that Trump's illegal-voters tweet was spot-on because she had different polls that proved it. Pew? Wrong!!!!

And I put on Rehm hoping for a more measured response to our election.

Scottie Nell Hughes. Ugh.

• Love 5

How can a program that plans to talk about improving journalism excuse the inclusion of Scottie Neil Hughes or ANY campaign surrogate?

They are not journalists, they are partisan hacks. They add zero value to any discussion about journalism because they don't care about it.  They are there for one reason--to push their opinions onto listeners in the hope they will come to think of opinion as fact.  They are deceitful and do not deserve to be on news programs unless they have their own "op/ed" section complete with rebuttal that is not argued back and forth so it becomes meaningless.

CNN just rehired Jeffrey Lord. Probably ALL the surrogates will be returning and panels will be continuing. Blech.

Is there any way to know which shows have the panels? I want to avoid them, but every time I try to watch CNN, There. They. Are.  When are they NOT on?

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Padma said:

How can a program that plans to talk about improving journalism excuse the inclusion of Scottie Neil Hughes or ANY campaign surrogate?

They are not journalists, they are partisan hacks. They add zero value to any discussion about journalism because they don't care about it.  They are there for one reason--to push their opinions onto listeners in the hope they will come to think of opinion as fact.  They are deceitful and do not deserve to be on news programs unless they have their own "op/ed" section complete with rebuttal that is not argued back and forth so it becomes meaningless.

CNN just rehired Jeffrey Lord. Probably ALL the surrogates will be returning and panels will be continuing. Blech.

Is there any way to know which shows have the panels? I want to avoid them, but every time I try to watch CNN, There. They. Are.  When are they NOT on?

Totally agree.  I see them, (Lord, Hughes, Conway) & I change the channel or delete the program.  I'm not willing to listen to one word of their propaganda LIES & I don't understand why CNN doesn't pivot to more balanced opinions.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Padma said:

CNN should have a warning before any panelists appear. It can be hazardous to your mental health

• Love 5

Had CNN on for a few minutes this morning. They were doing a post post post mortem on Hillary's loss.

"The Dems just need to admit that they had a bad candidate."

"They need to recognize that they didn't reach out enough to the right people."

ad nauseum w/ no mention of her popular vote count.

Though I was pleasantly surprised the other morning when they did a round table discussion with their foreign correspondents. It was very measured and, dare I say, informative. I'm not used to that.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

"They need to recognize that they didn't reach out enough to the right people."...ad nauseum w/ no mention of her popular vote count...

FWIW, I gained a new perspective at a funeral the other day. One of the attendees I enjoyed talking to during the lunch was from West Virginia, a guy whose job is to pilot a tow boat pulling coal. We didn't talk politics at all. But as he described what he did for a living, my imagination ran something like this: "Why on earth would he vote for the candidate who says coal is the way of the past, and we have to let it go in favor of cleaner energy, and don't worry, we'll find new jobs for all you coal industry people? I wouldn't vote for that candidate either if I were him." Mind you, I have no idea how he voted. He might have voted for Hillary. But given her remarks in Ohio on coal, I'd have a hard time seeing why. Putting an actual human being, whom I liked, to my abstract image of a coal person made me see things in a new way.

So the CNN panelist who said "didn't reach out enough to the right people" might have had a point.

• Love 4

While I can't pretend to see inside the pilot's head I have to think that his particular position and training as pilot/captain will allow him to pursue employment in industries other than coal. He pretty much has needed to keep his license current with all of the requirements necessary to carry his license/employment into the global economy. But I see your point.

I guess I'm just tired of the rehashing Clinton's so-called failures instead of hearing any blowback on Tubby's latest horrors. It's been days and weeks of bashing Hillary. And she still won the popular vote.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

FWIW, I gained a new perspective at a funeral the other day. One of the attendees I enjoyed talking to during the lunch was from West Virginia, a guy whose job is to pilot a tow boat pulling coal. We didn't talk politics at all. But as he described what he did for a living, my imagination ran something like this: "Why on earth would he vote for the candidate who says coal is the way of the past, and we have to let it go in favor of cleaner energy, and don't worry, we'll find new jobs for all you coal industry people? I wouldn't vote for that candidate either if I were him." Mind you, I have no idea how he voted. He might have voted for Hillary. But given her remarks in Ohio on coal, I'd have a hard time seeing why. Putting an actual human being, whom I liked, to my abstract image of a coal person made me see things in a new way.

So the CNN panelist who said "didn't reach out enough to the right people" might have had a point.

First, Hillary is misquoted most of the time when they talk about what she said about the coal miners. Yes she said coal is a way of the past but she also said that the workers who had lost their jobs needed to be retrained for other new available jobs and that she had all sorts of ideas about new technology and how her policies would benefit those communities. She also made a trip to Virginia to talk to these people in person and explain what she meant and what her plans were. Of course, since she didn't mention Trump in her remarks and what she said could have been construed as positive (horrors!), the media completely ignored it and continued to only quote her out of context.

And second, coal IS a way of the past. Florida and other coastal property will be underwater in a century unless they stop burning coal around the world. To my way of thinking, a candidate who was honest and was knowledgeable about what has to be done to deal with the problem is exactly who I would vote for rather than someone who lies and pretends that climate change doesn't exist. Wouldn't all those miners suffering from black lung prefer to work in a plant building solar panels than going down in the mines again? Technology is also working with coal products to find ways to use it without burning it and damaging the ecological system. I read where one team is working on creating a sort of tar out of coal that can be applied to roofs which will use coal's properties of retaining heat. There's all sorts of good ideas out there. I want a government which is going to fund that kind of research.

• Love 9

Fareed Zacharia's special on President Obama was pretty good tonight. The only part that I took issue with was the economic situation he had to deal with when he took office. I thought the editors made it look like the crash occurred under Obama's watch instead of making it clear that it all happened when W was president and Obama had a herculean job to clean it up even with the Republicans obstructing every inch of the way. Obama deserves far more credit than he gets for that whole situation.

I know I and most other people were very impressed with Pres Obama when he went to Charleston to speak at the funeral but I didn't realize how deeply and profoundly African Americans were touched by it. To see Van Jones tear up during the program and then Bakari Sellers break down and cry on Don Lemon's panel afterwards was very affecting. My heart just went out to both of them and to all other African American people (including Barack Obama) who have had to put up with such shit in their lives just because of the color of their skin. 

• Love 9
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:44 PM, shok said:

First, Hillary is misquoted most of the time when they talk about what she said about the coal miners. Yes she said coal is a way of the past but she also said that the workers who had lost their jobs needed to be retrained for other new available jobs and that she had all sorts of ideas about new technology and how her policies would benefit those communities. She also made a trip to Virginia to talk to these people in person and explain what she meant and what her plans were. Of course, since she didn't mention Trump in her remarks and what she said could have been construed as positive (horrors!), the media completely ignored it and continued to only quote her out of context.

And second, coal IS a way of the past. Florida and other coastal property will be underwater in a century unless they stop burning coal around the world. To my way of thinking, a candidate who was honest and was knowledgeable about what has to be done to deal with the problem is exactly who I would vote for rather than someone who lies and pretends that climate change doesn't exist. Wouldn't all those miners suffering from black lung prefer to work in a plant building solar panels than going down in the mines again? Technology is also working with coal products to find ways to use it without burning it and damaging the ecological system. I read where one team is working on creating a sort of tar out of coal that can be applied to roofs which will use coal's properties of retaining heat. There's all sorts of good ideas out there. I want a government which is going to fund that kind of research.

This, to all of the above.  Hillary spoke the truth about the coal industry and was NOT uncaring about the miners, quite the opposite.  The media was so negative to her throughout the campaign and their lack of interest in issues over emotional outbursts didn't help.  If she'd made every sentence she wanted them to use for broadcast into some emotionally-charged attack on Trump (using his name a few times per sentence), I suspect they would have given her a lot more coverage. 

Issues? Policies? Solutions for the future? Who cares when we've got a candidate bringing the entertainment and drama?

• Love 10

I watched the JonBenet Ramsey doc last night.

At the end they said detectives have new DNA techniques that they will use next year.

There are some new samples also, that they found on the front and rear waistband of the long john's JonBenet was wearing. These samples match the original ones.  None of the DNA samples they have match the Ramsey family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Anyone else planning to watch "Now More Than Ever:  The History of Chicago" tonight?  I'm sitting here trying to decide what to delete from my DVR to make room.

I think it's going to be great, so I've set up my DVR to watch a little later in the evening.

32 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

Lemon had a fun New Year's Eve:

http://nypost.com/2017/01/01/don-lemon-downs-shots-gets-ear-pierced-in-bizarre-broadcast/

There are a lot of media outlets reporting different perspectives on what happened. I won't post all of them. I wonder if he regrets the piercing?

I thought the Don Lemon/Brooke Baldwin segments were a lot better than Griffin/Cooper.  The ear-piercing was hilarious.  Yes he was a bit tipsy but that's what sometimes happens on New Year's.  I hope CNN doesn't punish him because I love his show.

In my opinion, they've beat the JonBenet story to a pulp.  Let it go for Gawd's sake!!!

I've always enjoyed the Kathy Griffin/Anderson Cooper NYE thing, but every year it just keeps getting longer.  Four and a half hours!!!  Jeebus.  Even fast forwarding through most of the remotes (we always DVR this and watch it later - can't imagine sitting through this live) - it felt like forever.  And why did they stop including NYE with the drag queens in Key West, which was the only one of the regional bits I ever liked?  

The weirdest thing I noticed  was that in the first hour Kathy was wearing a grey sweater, and when she raised her arms to gesticulate about something - it looked as if she had HUGE sweat stains under her armpits!  We rewound it a couple of times trying to figure out if this were some kind of design element in the garment - but also noticed that after the second commercial she was wearing a black feather boa that covered her armpits when she raised her arms.  I wondered if I were imagining the whole thing, but apparently not:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4079350/Kathy-Griffin-recruits-black-feather-scarf-hide-armpit-sweat-patches-live-NYE-celebration-Anderson-Cooper.html

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

It's a sure bet he doesn't regret the attention.

I think it's a bit strange to have CNN news people getting pierced ears on live tv. I don't think Cooper should be hosting New Year's Eve specials with Kathy Griffin. I grew up watching Cronkite on CBS , so it's weird seeing news anchors "partying" 0n New Year's Eve.

On the other hand, the first time I saw Anderson Cooper on Tv , he was hosting a reality tv show called the Mole.

• Love 2

Bernie town hall with Chris Cuomo, is very good.

The trump voters come up with the craziest questions.  Like, why does the Obama administration hate small business?  Bernie has done a damn good job standing up for the administration and defending the policies.

KellyAnne Conway with Chris this morning, good God.  She basically wants us to not believe the things her boss says.  What?

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4

I've been ignoring CNN because of the panels, but watched the confirmation hearings today. LOVED it when Tapper interrupted to break the story (with Carl Bernstein and 2 other reporters) about the intelligence report about Russia and Trump. They did an excellent job of breaking down the complicated timeline and players.  And the investigation details of the former MI6 agent (convincing to the Rome FBI agent, the UK ambassador to Russia and John McCain---but apparently ignored for 8 months by FBI director Comey who was supposed to investigate Manafort and the Trump Tower server connected to Russia but apparently will never report on anything unless pushed.)

The two charges couldn't be more damning:  (1) That Trump's campaign had frequent contact with Russian government intermediares and coordinated the attack on Clinton and (2) that Putin has "compromising" personal and financial information on Trump, suitable for blackmail (or perhaps just getting a future U.s. president to go along with Putin on everything.)

That report took guts. Kudos to Tapper and Co. (Not Blitzer though, as he got the lede wrong.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Padma said:

I've been ignoring CNN because of the panels, but watched the confirmation hearings today. LOVED it when Tapper interrupted to break the story (with Carl Bernstein and 2 other reporters) about the intelligence report about Russia and Trump.

I saw the same team doing the story later in the day, and one thing made me sad. (Beyond the state of our country, that is.) Of the four, the only one who had real substantive details to convey, and did it coherently and cogently despite that wealth of detail, was Bernstein. Meaning, good journalism is very much a thing of the past, and hasn't been bequeathed to the current generation of journalists. (Or else the current generation of journalists just doesn't care to practice it.) When Bernstein and his generation leave us, that's it.

Tapper wasn't "bad," but the other two were just a waste of space, talking to hear themselves talk, empty suits with empty brains. If they didn't have Bernstein there, the story simply wouldn't have been told.  I fear for our country (even more than I do elsewise) when the Bernsteins are gone.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 6

God, I love Carl Bernstein.  

I want someone to get to the bottom of this now.  Whatever there is, release it.  This story has to stop.  All the finger pointing is worthless.  There has be a Deep Throat out there.   Carl, find him/her!  

• Love 6

Tapper is careful to stick to the facts of what they reported yesterday and correct to distinguish it from what Buzzfeed did.  (Unlike Trump, who saw the advantage of lumping them together.)

I was looking forward to a coherent discussion of the press conference and it began that way with Tapper and the expert on finances discussing what Trump was doing with his assets.  Then, in came Santorum...why? All he was there for was to deflect from any facts and analysis. "Intelligence is politicized!!!"  "Everyone hacks--this is nothing new!!!" etc. etc. 

So. Pointless.  What a waste of air space.

Also sad was how Jim Acosta -almost- got to ask what should have been the question of the day: "Did you or anyone associated with you or your campaign have contact with Russia during the campaign?" (Also...about Manafort and that Trump Tower server connected to Russia).  This is SUPER important. 

But Trump shut down Acosta's question (and Spicer threatened to throw him out if he kept talking). Sylvia Vega of CBS asked that question (Yay!) but she made the mistake of asking it with another one, giving Trump the opportunity to ramble on and on about the second while ignoring the first one. Then ending the news conference.

Maddening. Because they won't get another chance.

• Love 4

Wow. Trump shutting down CNN and calling them fake news! CNN is screwed for the remainder of his presidency. Trump is vindictive as hell and CNN will have the least amount of access than any other news organization. The BBC wasn't feeling Trump love either.

• Love 2

The fact that Trump called Jim Acosta rude for trying to ask a question & called CNN fake news (when they didn't report the details like Buzzfeed) is indicative of things to come.  Trump is starting with freezing out CNN, but there will be more to come!!!

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, oakville said:

Did anyone watch the Anderson Cooper & Kelly Ann Conway interview.?

I watched for about three minutes & changed channels.  In future, when I see HER, I'll do it immediately.  She's a liar & seems to enjoy making the people interviewing her look like idiots!!!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I watched for about three minutes & changed channels.  In future, when I see HER, I'll do it immediately.  She's a liar & seems to enjoy making the people interviewing her look like idiots!!!

I thought it was hilarious.  This will be a very entertaining 4 years with Trump vs the media. 

KAC was having fun with Cooper. Cooper had difficulty defending Buzzfeed. He doesn't work fot them

I didn't see the interview, but Cooper shouldn't have let her make him defend Buzzfeed. He should have made HER answer for the CNN report.

Trump freezing out CNN as fake news is pretty bizarre to me, given how they helped him throughout the campaign. (Even let his $20k/month "strategist" get double paid as a CNN commentator).  It's like everyone and everything needs to be shadowed at CNN by a Trump surrogate.

Even today, after the press conference, there was Rick Santorum spinning on CNN for Trump.  These people could be asked a question or two and then reporters and genuine analysts should move on. Giving them the chance to monopolize the airtime with their worthless spin (in this case, for Trump) is irritating.  When did this become a thing? Was it all because of the 2015 election?

Funny to hear Trump gushing over NYT today. Just wait until THEY publish a negative story about him. Then they'll be back in the "lying media" too.

It's all about Trump.  I hope Putin never turns on him or we could have WWIII (or a lot of juicy reading materials for a week).

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Padma said:

I didn't see the interview, but Cooper shouldn't have let her make him defend Buzzfeed. He should have made HER answer for the CNN report.

Trump freezing out CNN as fake news is pretty bizarre to me, given how they helped him throughout the campaign. (Even let his $20k/month "strategist" get double paid as a CNN commentator).  It's like everyone and everything needs to be shadowed at CNN by a Trump surrogate.

Even today, after the press conference, there was Rick Santorum spinning on CNN for Trump.  These people could be asked a question or two and then reporters and genuine analysts should move on. Giving them the chance to monopolize the airtime with their worthless spin (in this case, for Trump) is irritating.  When did this become a thing? Was it all because of the 2015 election?

Funny to hear Trump gushing over NYT today. Just wait until THEY publish a negative story about him. Then they'll be back in the "lying media" too.

It's all about Trump.  I hope Putin never turns on him or we could have WWIII (or a lot of juicy reading materials for a week).

Yeah, the election is over. I hope they don't cover this administration like its just an extension of that damned campaign.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, oakville said:

KAC was having fun with Cooper. Cooper had difficulty defending Buzzfeed. He doesn't work fot them

I didn't think he even tried to defend Buzzfeed and Kellyanne didn't seem like she was having fun.  She was WRONG, and although she thinks newspeople should be fired when they make errors, she won't even admit her mistake: a link to Buzzfeed was NOT in the article she referenced and posted.  I love Anderson Cooper, but it seemed like a lot of "I know you are but what am I?"  Back and forth.  Back and forth.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I didn't think he even tried to defend Buzzfeed and Kellyanne didn't seem like she was having fun.  She was WRONG, and although she thinks newspeople should be fired when they make errors, she won't even admit her mistake: a link to Buzzfeed was NOT in the article she referenced and posted.  I love Anderson Cooper, but it seemed like a lot of "I know you are but what am I?"  Back and forth.  Back and forth.

CNN should have done a live shot report from the Ritz in Moscow. They could have double checked if Trump had stayed at the hotel.

CNN could have interviewed staff at the Ritz to see if Trump soiled the bed at the Ritz.

i have stayed at the Ritz. There is an extra cleaning fee if you bring your pets & they soil the bed or carpet.

i think Kelly Anne is an effective decoy for Trump. Everyone is talking about Trump behavior in a hotel, but they don't focus on his shady business deals

• Love 2