Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

Cruel Intentions gets a TV series sequel.

Set in present day, Cruel Intentions follows the rags-to-riches story of 16-year-old Bash Casey, the son of the late Sebastian Valmont (played by Phillippe) and Annette Hargrove (Witherspoon). Upon finding his late father’s journal, Bash learns of the family legacy he didn’t know existed. In search of answers, he trades his small-town Kansas upbringing for a scholarship to the prestigious Brighton Preparatory Academy in San Francisco and soon finds himself in a world of sex, money, power, and corruption he never could have imagined.

Edited by paulvdb

NBC is doing a dark, edgy version of the Wizard of Oz (as a series).  Vincent D'Onofrio has been cast as the Wizard.  Toto is a police K9.

I was just about to post a "Surely you're joking, sir" but Googled it first. Holy shit -- hot mess ahead.

Dark *and* edgy. WOW. I was totes not expecting that. I wonder if it's going to be gritty? Or is that too much? I don't know if tv is ready for dark and edgy though. I mean, what a huge paradigm shift! 

• Love 2

"Emerald City" actually has been in the works for years. It's actually years behind schedule (they had to go back to the drawing board a few times).

As bad as it sounds, somehow a TV version of Cruel Intentions sounds even worse.  We had "Gossip Girl" already.

If it's reassuring to any fans of his previous genre TV shows, Shaun Cassidy is peripherally involved in Emerald City.  Not directly though, I think--just as an Exec. Producer.

"Emerald City" actually has been in the works for years. It's actually years behind schedule (they had to go back to the drawing board a few times).

As bad as it sounds, somehow a TV version of Cruel Intentions sounds even worse.  We had "Gossip Girl" already.

If it's reassuring to any fans of his previous genre TV shows, Shaun Cassidy is peripherally involved in Emerald City.  Not directly though, I think--just as an Exec. Producer.

I still want a second season of his Invasion series. That was good stuff.

• Love 2

Oh good grief.   First of all the whole damn point of Wizard of Oz was that it was the exact opposite of Dorothy's dark and gritty life in Kansas.    Second of all, SciFi Channel already did an abomination they called a darker, edgier version of it.   So double fail.

• Love 3

The execution was bad on the SciFi movie, and they cast some bad people. But it wasn't typically what we call "dark", and it was set after WOZ. The steampunk idea was at least something interesting and new. 

Please note that this series of "dark" Oz books, where Dorothy is basically a psychopath, has been kicking around for a few years.

VqZNmPO.jpg

Really, ultimately I blame American McGee (the game designer--and yes that's actually the guy's name). He started this trend with making an over the top dark video game with Alice In Wonderland, and tons of clones of THAT followed... and then Oz was a natural next step for the same audience those had.

So I'll assume it will be intriguing but won't last very long, a la Invasion and American Gothic. ;)

• Love 1
Please note that this series of "dark" Oz books, where Dorothy is basically a psychopath, has been kicking around for a few years.

Well, The CW has grabbed the rights to those books.

If they really wanted to be daring they'd say they're making a Cruel Intentions 2 follow-up, since Cruel Intentions 2 was three episodes of a Cruel Intentions TV series that Fox ordered and cancelled before putting on the air.

Fox used to have an annual tradition of cancelling one of its new fall shows in the summer... and never airing others, like the Jensen Ackles/Morena Baccarin family drama Still Life. Actually, in these days, I'm surprised I haven't seen Still Life pop up on Hulu or Netflix. It sounded good (though it was mostly discussed by people who wanted Fox to air it) even though it was a Marti Noxon drama with a depressing premise, a full season was made and enough cast members have gone on to bigger things that it's probably somewhat marketable.

Then again, even with a dedicated cult following I can't find Wonderfalls anywhere online. So maybe Fox has an ego thing where it limits how many people will discover the series they dumped quickly.

I wouldn't doubt it. How many shows have they axed that weren't super great, but were still quite good? You'd have all these decent 6, 8 episode shows floating around netflix and hulu and people would be like, 'why was this cancelled now?'

So many come to mind, but in the same vein of cancelling/summer, there was Drive which aired for 2 (?) episodes and then burned off on *July 4th*. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Note this:

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations

I'm thinking it's a sequel to the new movie-verse.  Some new setting but branching off that timeline.

My second guess would have been specifically a Next-Gen reboot using the new universe as the base, but the problem there is I wonder if they'd call them "new characters" in that case.

Edited by Kromm

Note this:

I'm thinking it's a sequel to the new movie-verse. Some new setting but branching off that timeline.

My second guess would have been specifically a Next-Gen reboot using the new universe as the base, but the problem there is I wonder if they'd call them "new characters" in that case.

I think it's connected, somehow, to the new movie verse. Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci (aka K/O Paper Products), the producers of most/all the new movies, are apparently producing the show (they also produce, among others, the current Hawaii Five-0 & Scorpion on CBS, & Sleepy Hollow on Fox).

I think it's connected, somehow, to the new movie verse. Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci (aka K/O Paper Products), the producers of most/all the new movies, are apparently producing the show (they also produce, among others, the current Hawaii Five-0 & Scorpion on CBS, & Sleepy Hollow on Fox).

I just requested a forum, by the way.  Should be interesting.

With inflation, six billion isn't even really enough, IMO.

And after you've gotten over that bit of happy happy joy joy, The Greatest American Hero is also set for a reboot.  Fox is going to try it again: http://tvline.com/2015/11/02/greatest-american-hero-reboot-fox/

This one has been rumored for years. The only new thing is the pilot order, vs. it just being vaguely shopped around.

The Six Million Dollar Man marathons on Esquire must be doing well enough to bring the movie reboot.  I had a hunch it was coming.  If they play it straight and remain true to the spirit of the original (and maybe a cameo or two of surviving cast members), it might work.  I do however remember how much they screwed up the Bionic Woman reboot, so hopes will be kept in check.

The GAH reboot is destined for failure based on what I read.  Firstly, it's going to be a half hour comedy.  No, it should be an hour long dramedy/adventure show.  I can picture Bruce Campbell as Bill Maxwell (believe it or not!).  Second of all, it doesn't look like it's going to get to the point in which [Ralph Hinckley] will get to grow as a hero, but bumble forever despite how long he's had the suit.

The GAH reboot is destined for failure based on what I read.  Firstly, it's going to be a half hour comedy.  No, it should be an hour long dramedy/adventure show.  I can picture Bruce Campbell as Bill Maxwell (believe it or not!).  Second of all, it doesn't look like it's going to get to the point in which [Ralph Hinckley] will get to grow as a hero, but bumble forever despite how long he's had the suit.

Not gonna happen, since Bruce Campbell can't do two full time shows at the same time. I mean unless Ash Vs. The Evil Dead fails in record time and he's magically available again to commit before this pilot films (which if the announcement is now, would mean it's shooting in the next few months).

GAH sounds banally formulaic and one note. 

I refer you to the original.  Dare we actually suggest it wasn't too?

it worked because of the novelty. But you can't really reinvent it because it wouldn't have that same appeal. 

You can reboot some things. A show like this?  It will suck just as hard as well... trying to reboot A-Team. 

Six Million/Billion Dollar Man actually has more potential, just because like with Battlestar Galactica you can probably reinvent hard on the concept and basically just borrow a title.

Bruce Campbell can't do two full time shows at the same time. I mean unless Ash Vs. The Evil Dead fails in record time and he's magically available again to commit before this pilot films (which if the announcement is now, would mean it's shooting in the next few months).

A girl can dream!

Is that supposed to be a drama?

Sadly I think it is.

Really it might work as a comedy, but doesn't seem to be.

The one spot of hope is Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's direct involvement. For those who don't know, he's the one who's totally turned Archie Comics around and started them producing weird and honestly some quite wonderful things over the past few years. So maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is going to have it's tongue planted very firmly in its cheek. I wouldn't expect any less from someone who made a version of Archie where they're running around chasing (or becoming) Zombies.

Sadly I think it is.

Really it might work as a comedy, but doesn't seem to be.

The one spot of hope is Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa's direct involvement. For those who don't know, he's the one who's totally turned Archie Comics around and started them producing weird and honestly some quite wonderful things over the past few years. So maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is going to have it's tongue planted very firmly in its cheek. I wouldn't expect any less from someone who made a version of Archie where they're running around chasing (or becoming) Zombies.

Oh, yes -- that was basically their answer to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with Veronica in the role of Buffy.

I just wonder whether (1) they're going to have a gay character, as the comic does and (2) whether Archie is eventually going to be killed off, as also recently happened in the comic.

Edited by legaleagle53

Oh, yes -- that was basically their answer to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, with Veronica in the role of Buffy.

I just wonder whether (1) they're going to have a gay character, as the comic does and (2) whether Archie is eventually going to be killed off, as also recently happened in the comic.

He was only killed off briefly, in a kind of alt-universe special event.  He's the main character--it ain't gonna be any other way.

As for the Zombie thing? It didn't "read" like Buffy to me. It was maybe more like Walking Dead meets The Vampire Diaries. 

Holy cow, that Riverdale show is going to be ridiculous!

I'm not saying the gang isn't rebootable to be enjoyed by current and old fans, but the network is really trying to turn it into a 90210 lite - with a dash of Dawson's creek, and if they continue on with Betty's Adderall addiction, that special very episode from SBTB!

There was no mention of bad boy Reggie or dull witted athlete, Moose, brainy Dilton Doyle or Big Ethel either.  I can't imagine an Archie series of any kind without them.

The Archie description reminds me a bit of a darker Dobie Gillis.

Why do they want Jughead to be a deaf emo kid?  Very odd characterization.  I'd have made him a modern version of the class clown. 

Veronica Lodge as a Latina?  WHY??  OK Hollyweird, cut it out, NOW!!!  Otherwise I will insist that the part of Valerie will be played by a white Midwestern farm girl!!

I'm curious if Josie & The Pussycats and Sabrina will make appearances.

The BBC loses any threadbare claim it had to dignity and plans to remake Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances and other shows probably less known to American audience than those two.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a774290/bbc-one-is-remaking-the-good-life-are-you-being-served-and-more-classic-sitcoms/

Are You Being Served seems like it would especially be a big pile of steaming shit (because the original was already pretty far in that direction).

Some of these remake/reboot plans just don't seem like a good idea (to me) because the premise and/or type of comedy/drama worked well for that time period, but wouldn't necessarily work today.

The BBC loses any threadbare claim it had to dignity and plans to remake Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances and other shows probably less known to American audience than those two.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a774290/bbc-one-is-remaking-the-good-life-are-you-being-served-and-more-classic-sitcoms/

Are You Being Served seems like it would especially be a big pile of steaming shit (because the original was already pretty far in that direction).

The Beanes of Boston should give you an idea of what happens when someone tries to reboot/remake AYBS? -- though Grace and Favour was hilarious.

Remaking Keeping Up Appearances?  Blasphemy!

• Love 1
Some of these remake/reboot plans just don't seem like a good idea (to me) because the premise and/or type of comedy/drama worked well for that time period, but wouldn't necessarily work today.

Most of them are like that. There's not really an update of the show into the contemporary world. Which, if you're going to do, just make a new show with brand new characters anyway. It's lazy, really. There needs to be a new tv business model where new shows are more encouraged. They're coming up with banal concepts because they have to be on the year for 5 years, 100 episodes rather than making a good show. 

I couldn't tell from the article, which was so short, but it sounded like it might be a series of specials? That might work as a way of modern performers paying homage to their forebears without being opportunistic.

Are You Being Served would be incredibly tough to reboot. In general it's a terrible show. When it works it's entirely on the cast and their amazing chemistry. It's like The Nanny, I always found that show terribly predictable but I laughed at every punchline, even though I could see it coming.

Ah-ha. According to this article, BBC1 is doing a "Landmark Comedy" series to mark the 60th anniversary of the Britcom. The article is specifically about a special reviving Porridge but the rest of it sounds like it'll fit the "Landmark Comedy" series. The Porridge episode will be a continuation and that doesn't sound too far from what Britcoms often do. Popular shows will sometimes do reunion sketches for Children in Need that work as a short revival, so that kind of thing has more of a history there.

I'm guessing it'll be a mix of reboots and revivals. Sadly, Are You Being Served will have to be a reboot or a very sad continuation since the major cast members are dead.

Are You Being Served would be incredibly tough to reboot. In general it's a terrible show.

IMO that's actually being incredibly generous to the show. It always shocked me it actually made it's way across the Atlantic to american broadcast, because it's SO hoary and cheap. I saw my share of episodes of it anyway when I was younger... then again I've also for some reason sat through American sitcoms that were just as bad.

I compare it unfavorably to "Allo' Allo'", which I've heard accused of the same thing as Are You Being Served, but I can't agree. Allo was genuinely clever at times, whereas Are You Being Served was just... not. They were even done by the same writer/producer team, Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft. I just think "Served" was their weakest work by far.

I actually hear the David Croft show (without Lloyd) "Dad's Army" was the top of the list for remakes (it's already happened) and is in fact being released as a theatrical release--a movie. With believe it or not, Catherine Zeta Jones in a role. But there's zero US market for that since that show was as far as I know never syndicated here. I hear it's also somewhat hoary and filled with cheap jokes.

Now, that's interesting to know, since Australian versions of foreign reality shows usually either start out as crap or somehow end up that way because the networks can't resist the urge to change things up after a few seasons (Apprentice Australia and The Mole, I'm looking at you two in particular).  Perhaps Australia has a better track record with remakes of scripted shows?

Good lord. Whole episodes of the Aussie "Are You Being Served" are up on YouTube. I'd link, but I know Previously doesn't want us linking to whole episodes. Just go there and search the phrase "are you being served australia" and it will all come up.

Snide, why didn't you mention John Inman was actually still in the show?  And they've pretty much copied over Mrs. Slocombe fully, except a new name and accent?  All the characters actually are that way, with new names, accents and faces, but otherwise the same, except Humphries, who's of course named the same thing. Wow. And a nightmarish theme song.  I gasped listening to it.

Wow that was bad. I mean the original is bad, but somehow the lack of effort here seemed especially glaring.

Actually I'd say the one big change is that everything on the show is now slanted to surround Humphries. He's the center of the show rather than one leg of an ensemble. The rest of the cast is just there to highlight him and serve his camera winks, theme song, and punchlines.

Edited by Kromm

Good lord. Whole episodes of the Aussie "Are You Being Served" are up on YouTube. I'd link, but I know Previously doesn't want us linking to whole episodes. Just go there and search the phrase "are you being served australia" and it will all come up.

Snide, why didn't you mention John Inman was actually still in the show?  And they've pretty much copied over Mrs. Slocombe fully, except a new name and accent?  All the characters actually are that way, with new names, accents and faces, but otherwise the same, except Humphries, who's of course named the same thing. Wow. And a nightmarish theme song.  I gasped listening to it.

Wow that was bad. I mean the original is bad, but somehow the lack of effort here seemed especially glaring.

Actually I'd say the one big change is that everything on the show is now slanted to surround Humphries. He's the center of the show rather than one leg of an ensemble. The rest of the cast is just there to highlight him and serve his camera winks, theme song, and punchlines.

OK, this I have to see for myself.  I love a good trainwreck!

And I remember that some 20 years ago, there was talk of doing a U.S. version that would have brought Frank Thornton over as Captain Peacock.  The only redeeming feature I can think of for that proposal would be the MASSIVE culture shock that Captain Peacock would experience upon encountering the more relaxed, informal workplace culture that exists in the US, where supervisors and subordinates have even been on a first-name basis as a matter of practice for decades!

• Love 1