Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: Live Results 1

• Start Topic

I didn't see a thread for the results show, so I'm putting this here.  WTF is up with stupid "google save?"  The top 7 vote getters are supposed to go through.  What the frick is the point of allowing the 8th spot a chance to potentially rob the 6th or 7th person of their placement?  This is crap..

• Love 4

Fairly predictable. 

Drew Lynch

Paul Z

Piff the Magic Dragon

Siro-A

Benton Blount

Samantha Johnson

Alondra Santos

Three individual singers out of 7 spots.  Yuck.  If I wanted to watch a bunch of individual singers, I'd watch American Idol or The Voice.

• Love 4

The Dunkin save was pointless, there was no way Samantha wasn't in the top two or three in the popular vote.

I pretty much had it called, other than thinking the two kids acts might edge out Drew. I would bet money that those three acts finished 6th through 8th in the voting.

I would've given the last spot to the Gentlemen just for more variety...but don't really have a major issue that the judges went w/ Alondra in the end despite the singer overload...

• Love 1

Never heard of that musical guest or the Cheerleader song (despite Nick saying it's the hottest song of the summer), but man, that was BAD. My ears are bleeding. The judges should've buzzed him. Triple Threat suddenly doesn't look so awful.

Speaking of Triple Threat, I literally laughed out loud when they had them up there with Piff. Way to make the results super obvious. There probably would've been rioting had it gone the other way.

Benton Blount - WTF? I knew he was through when he was up there with Vita, but he was easily the most boring and forgettable performance of the night for me. Whatever.

I can't believe sob story pimp spot Samantha Johnson didn't make the top 5. LMAO! Good. How the heck did The Gentlemen rank high enough to be part of the Dunkin Save though? Dunkin Save sounds stupid, by the way. Snapple Save rolled off the tongue.

• Love 6

Dunkin Save sounds stupid, by the way. Snapple Save rolled off the tongue.

Did anyone else hope, when they said "Duncan save", that Kyle MacLachlan would show up riding a sand worm and shout "M'aud DIB!"?  

(Dune might have blown the budget.)

I'm happy for Piff and Mr. Piffles, and the way he reacted to the judges was really nice.  I'm also happy for the ventriloquist; beyond that I didn't feel strongly one way or the other about any of the decisions.  (Good enough for what we had to choose from?)

I think what cost Samantha Johnson some votes was the platform and weird background graphics they gave her.  Like some of the others, the staging did her no favors.

• Love 3

Speaking of Triple Threat, I literally laughed out loud when they had them up there with Piff. Way to make the results super obvious. There probably would've been rioting had it gone the other way.

It was a groan-worthy moment, for sure! Those poor guys - they almost were laughing themselves at that obviousness of it all. Salt in the wound much, NBC?? Sheesh.

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 1

For a show called America's Got Talent I have to ask where they got their opening act last night.  I actually thought perhaps it was Nick Cannon playing a joke.  They guy was just awful!!!  There is no way that is the number one song right now, unless everyone has gone deaf. The results were pretty much spot on.  I think this show had the best of this year's talent.  Next week's show will be much weaker.  I think the winner will be one of last nights top 7.

• Love 4

I'm torn about Matt Franco - he seems like a nice guy and a competant magician, but...a two hour special? Really?

I'm blanking about his season - did we really think he was the best of that year? His trick last night didn't seem to be as mind-blowing as it might have been, or at least I remember seeing it done elsewhere.

Am I just jaded?

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 1

For a show called America's Got Talent I have to ask where they got their opening act last night. I actually thought perhaps it was Nick Cannon playing a joke. They guy was just awful!!! There is no way that is the number one song right now, unless everyone has gone deaf. The results were pretty much spot on. I think this show had the best of this year's talent. Next week's show will be much weaker. I think the winner will be one of last nights top 7.

It actually is a very good song, and it is number 2 on the billboard hot 100, and it was number 1 for a while. Not sure why you never heard of it, it has been playing all over the radios all summer.

Edited by Drogo
Tone.
  • Love 1

I'm torn about Matt Franco - he seems like a nice guy and a competant magician, but...a two hour special? Really?

I'm blanking about his season - did we really think he was the best of that year? His trick last night didn't seem to be as mind-blowing as it might have been, or at least I remember seeing it done elsewhere.

Am I just jaded?

I loved Mat during his season, but that trick last night was a bit lackluster. It seemed like it would be a good filler trick for a two hour special, but it was the wrong choice for last night.

• Love 1

It actually is a very good song, and it is number 2 on the billboard hot 100, and it was number 1 for a while. Not sure why you never heard of it, it has been playing all over the radios all summer.

I never heard of it either before last night.  All I know is that guy sounded awful.

• Love 7

The Dunkin save was pointless, there was no way Samantha wasn't in the top two or three in the popular vote.

If she was in the top 2 or 3 in the popular vote, then the show outright lied.  Nick said the acts that placed 6th, 7th and 8th were the ones in the Google save, which means she could have placed no higher than 6th.

Howie can say that was the greatest show in this history of the universe, but I found it mediocre from start to finish, and ended up feeling there weren't even seven acts I'd want to see again.

Siro-A did pretty much the same thing as in their previous appearance. It was sensory overload. What made Kenichi Ebene so great was the variety of his concepts. Does Siro-A have another gear? And Samantha Johnson, who is obviously one of the chosen ones, is your typical shouty American Idol singer. The visuals behind her were overwhelming, and really kind of laughable. Giant waves? What is she, The Beach Boys? Oh, I get it, California Dreaming, and ocean equals California. (If the production team actually listened to the lyrics of the song, they'd know what a ridiculous choice that was).

Benton Blount?? All I can say is that America sure does love country music. And dads with cute kids.

As for the terrible production numbers, one thing that's always puzzled me about this show is who makes those choices? Of all the singers I like Alondra Santos, so I'm glad she got through. But I want to hear her sing, not run around the stage surrounded by dancers, like she's Madonna. Over-the-top staging also killed Triple Threat and The Gentlemen (though their time was probably done in any event).

My assumption is that the AGT producers are coming up with the concepts, hiring and paying the back-up dancers, staging the numbers etc. I mean, I can't believe Triple Threat would've come up with that nonsense themselves, since I think they're smart enough to know they looked ridiculous. And then the judges criticize the acts ("those back-up dancers didn't do you any favors") like the show had nothing to do with it.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

I think what cost Samantha Johnson some votes was the platform and weird background graphics they gave her.  Like some of the others, the staging did her no favors.

That may have been part of it.  Honestly, there may have been others like us who absolutely detested the way she butchered "California Dreamin'."  That was just god-awful.  Hated every single note of it.  And while she has a beautiful voice, it seems like she is one of those who feels it necessary to belt out just about every note.  Give me some nuance.  I blame American Idol for this phenomenon.  That and the idea that you can't just sing the notes that are written but must run up and down the scales and drag them out until I'm screaming at my television set - finish the damn song already!  <lol>  So anyway back to Samantha - we didn't vote for her last night because we hated the cover that much. 

• Love 2

I'm sorry the two dancing kids didn't make it through.

Yeah, me too. I think the background dancers TPTB gave them did them in. 

TOO MANY SINGERS! GAH!

My assumption is that the AGT producers are coming up with the concepts, hiring and paying the back-up dancers, staging the numbers etc. And then the judges criticize the acts ("those back-up dancers didn't do you any favors") like the show had nothing to do with it.

I know. So much THIS to that.

I would have picked the sparkly contorsion lady over that boring guy singer. I'd prefer to sit and stare at her just standing there for an hour over hearing that guy sing for one minute.

I missed the opening singer, but yes, "Cheerleader" is all over the radio, 24/7. At least the radio I listen to. Would have been interested to hear him sing on the show, but I tuned in late. I know the song because "cheerleader" sounds like either "terrier" or "derriere" when I hear it on the radio. Sometimes both. 

Was hoping the stuttering comedian would go home, for a variety of reasons.

• Love 1

I like Mat Franco and was happy to see him again. He always has such a pleasant vibe when he's performing in contrast to some magicians who can be smug and superior. He's more about the storytelling and the journey than the wow moment at the end.

I thought he was deserving of the win last season, which wasn't a powerhouse season with tons of memorable contestants. Of the six finalists, there were three solo singers, one singing group, one troop of acrobats, and Mat. He was as good as any and better than some. In a petty way, I was especially happy because the runner-up Emily West did NOT win. She always rubbed me the wrong way, although I think she was fairly popular around here even though this forum is generally pretty hostile to solo singers on AGT. 

• Love 2

I like Mat Franco too, and enjoyed his wine-bottle trick last night. Don't have a clue how he did it. I also liked Emily, but was glad to see a magician win over a singer. It was nice to hear last night that she's also having success. In fact, the success stories all were interesting and "heartwarming." 

• Love 3

I would have picked the sparkly contortionist lady over that boring guy singer. I'd prefer to sit and stare at her just standing there for an hour over hearing that guy sing for one minute.

Ha. Me too, definitely. The terrible lighting design didn't help her, as she blended in with the set and could barely be seen for half her performance. (As I live in Seattle, maybe I can see her perform).

Although I was glad that the magician won last year, I think that Emily West was a genuinely gifted singer, probably the best this show has had. Of this year's singers, I haven't heard one who's close to being in her league. (Alondra Santos has a lot of talent, but it's not fair to compare a 13 year old to a seasoned professional).

I'm one of the people on this forum who is generally anti-singer. Not just because there are so many other singing competition shows. It's also that the singers AGT presents are, with rare exceptions, so mediocre. Agree with previous posters about Samantha Johnson butchering "California Dreaming." If you're going to take on a classic song, try interpreting the lyrics, instead of just using it as a platform for your vocal gymnastics!! When I saw the four standing ovations I knew the fix is in.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

It's also that the singers AGT presents are, with rare exceptions, so mediocre.

I completely agree. When watching the singers, I always imagine how many chairs would be turning around for that person. Same with dancers. So far, I haven't seen many who would have even made it to choreography on another show yet get put through with glowing reviews on AGT.

I know I am fated to spend a very long time in a very hot place.  However, Drew is so dull.  When's he gonna bust out his Porky Pig, "Ba-deep, ba-deep, ba-deep...that's all, folks!"?  The condescension towards him is off the charts.  It's worse than with the children - and that's legendarily bad on this stage.  He is mildly amusing, and he certainly has courage.  So?  I'm supposed to laugh because of a backstory?  Silly me!  I missed that memo.  He gets credit for relatively off the cuff remarks about an earlier happening?  Cool.  Why should he get the extra time to do that?   This whole situation takes me back to the 70s when comedy became about making a point.  The audience clapped in recognition and affirmation of the sociological or political observation, but they weren't laughing very much.   There are not many George Carlin's who can dazzle with presentation and as a wordsmith - who also finds a way to be silly, which evokes natural laughter.

Alondra most certainly was the best singer of the first night, but because the audience had no clue what the words meant, she darn near got cut.  She won't survive the next round.  Benton is among the lower tier of country singers in series' history.  I can't recall another year when one this lacking made it to the Semis.

Piff made it on residual goodwill.  Another miss like this week and he is done.  I would not be stunned to eventually learn he was 5th in votes.  

I would have canned Benton and Drew, and replaced them with the two gymnast acts.

• Love 3

I always kind of dread the live shows, as the producers tend to destroy acts every year with overproduction. Vita's lighting, those horribly distracting waves, triple threats presentation. Just let the acts do their thing. Only result I had a problem with was Benton. Really forgettable. Hope the stuttering comedian doesn't make it past next round. I think he could possibly be a decent comedy writer, but watching his sets are painful and feel patronizing to me.

I liked Franco a lot more than I did when he was competing. HIs presentation has gotten a lot better and the trick he did required a lot more skill than the stuff he did last season.

• Love 1

I'm sorry the two dancing kids didn't make it through.

Argh. I'm not.

Goodwill based on them just being kids doesn't go far with me.

Just like sob stories don't--which is why someone truly talented like Vida losing to that guy bugged the crap out of me. I mean he's not a BAD singer, but he's not a truly superior one either.  And of the five singers who have won this show, NONE of them have ever shown up again anywhere of note.  Jackie Evancho LOST and she's the most successful singer from this show.

I like Mat Franco too, and enjoyed his wine-bottle trick last night. Don't have a clue how he did it. I also liked Emily, but was glad to see a magician win over a singer. It was nice to hear last night that she's also having success. In fact, the success stories all were interesting and "heartwarming." 

It seems to me like an extreme version of Cups and Balls.  Which I think we ALL know how that one is done. Taking that trick "large" though, with something WAY too big to palm?  I gotta admit I gotta think about this one a bit.

• Love 1

Argh. I'm not.

Goodwill based on them just being kids doesn't go far with me.

Just like sob stories don't--which is why someone truly talented like Vida losing to that guy bugged the crap out of me. I mean he's not a BAD singer, but he's not a truly superior one either.  And of the five singers who have won this show, NONE of them have ever shown up again anywhere of note.  Jackie Evancho LOST and she's the most successful singer from this show.

It wasn't just "goodwill" for me.  I actually thought they were very good dancers.

• Love 1

Jackie Evancho LOST and she's the most successful singer from this show.

I thought she won that year, beating my favorite, Prince Poppycock. Although that Talent Around The World episode showed me that child opera singers are everywhere, Jackie wasn't that special or different.

These shows totally leave my memory bank after they are over. I guess that's a bonus, I can watch reruns and they are all new to me!

• Love 1

Just like sob stories don't--which is why someone truly talented like Vida losing to that guy bugged the crap out of me.

There are some cool videos of her on YouTube, where you can see how she really develops a performance across an extended period of time. I think that the short time frame on AGT made her have to focus on a few "tricks" and limited her artistry. And on a shallow note, I like her a lot more with her natural hair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APCjz5R1SJc

I think that most people can relate better to singers, maybe because they can imagine themselves up there doing that, which they can't with someone like Vita or other acrobatic or dance acts. I don't think it's a coincidence that the reality singing competition shows became very popular at the same time that karaoke did. (As a professional musician, karaoke is the bane of my life. There are several places I used to play that stopped having live music and went to karaoke.)

I thought she won that year, beating my favorite, Prince Poppycock. Although that Talent Around The World episode showed me that child opera singers are everywhere, Jackie wasn't that special or different.

These shows totally leave my memory bank after they are over. I guess that's a bonus, I can watch reruns and they are all new to me!

Didn't say she was ("special or different", I mean). She's simply (factually) the most successful singer from this show commercially. All of the others added together--and I mean the WINNERS--having virtually zero success, I mean. I suppose when they do shows wherever they do they have a nice "as seen on AGT" sign they prop up (those who are even still in the business), but there are no recording contracts. No permanent long-running Vegas acts even. They got a big revue/tour after winning the show, in a few cases maybe a single album nobody bought, and that's it. Singers winning this show is a total waste of EVERYBODY's time. Our AND theirs. Evancho got a bit of success because Child Opera Singer had a niche in this country that hadn't been filled. But as I said, she didn't even win. She lost, placed second, to the otherwise totally forgotten Michael Grimm. Who beat BOTH Evancho AND the act that might have won if no singers were around--Fighting Gravity (the first of the many blacklight dance troupes in Got Talent history both in the US and internationally). Prince Poppycock was fourth place, by the way, not second. Edited by Kromm

Hmph.  Still mad about Poppycock.  Always hated Evancho. but I remember her name.  She won't last long before her voice gives out.  I very much like Piff and Alondra and will root (vote) for them.  I was appalled by the show's prodution values too.  Why isn't it as obvious to the producers as it is to the viewers?

Hmph.  Still mad about Poppycock.  Always hated Evancho. but I remember her name.  She won't last long before her voice gives out.  I very much like Piff and Alondra and will root (vote) for them.  I was appalled by the show's prodution values too.  Why isn't it as obvious to the producers as it is to the viewers?

I'd understand "upset", but "mad" would neeed a target. As annoying as the whole singer-winning thing is it's certainly not Jackie Evancho's fault--DOUBLY since she didn't even win. The talent-light Michael Grimm might be a better target, but even he didn't make the rules. And even if both of those acts hadn't been there, Fighting Gravity also got more votes than Poppycock (who technically if we're talking in those terms was ALSO a singing act). Heck, that year overall was arguably a travesty, because when only ONE of the top four (Fighting Gravity) isn't a singing act... that's pathetic.

For the record I loved Poppycock's act and would have been less upset if he won than any other singing act--because he was also a comedy act and a spectacle--but really with the conservative tastes most of America has (HAD even more back in 2010, before the tide turned on sexuality and gender issues), frankly it's kind of wonderful he got as far as he did. Maybe if he was on the show THIS year, since that tide HAS turned, he could have won. But he wasn't.

• Love 1

Jackie Evancho already had a following and a number of cds out before being on the show.  And even her success has been fading quickly.  Agree this is not a show for singers.

And if the judges mention the million dollar prize again, I'm going to scream!  It's paid out over 40 years.  (No, that's not a typo).  And it's taxable.

• Love 1

And if the judges mention the million dollar prize again, I'm going to scream!  It's paid out over 40 years.  (No, that's not a typo).  And it's taxable.

I'm new to this show, so I must say -- WHAT?!?!? That's insane. So it's essentially a stipend to help you while you continue to pursue your showbiz dream. While I'd expect it to be taxable, by the end of 40 years -- if you live to see it -- your "prize" will probably cover the cost of your yearly groceries, if that. Is there an additional prize, like a limited engagement as a lounge act in some third-rate Vegas casino?

I'm new to this show, so I must say -- WHAT?!?!? That's insane. So it's essentially a stipend to help you while you continue to pursue your showbiz dream. While I'd expect it to be taxable, by the end of 40 years -- if you live to see it -- your "prize" will probably cover the cost of your yearly groceries, if that. Is there an additional prize, like a limited engagement as a lounge act in some third-rate Vegas casino?

Simon is a real crafty bastard isn't he?

That said, I imagine there's a much reduced lump sum they can take as an alternative.

Also, in theory they can back you for a Vegas show and the contract for that won't be implicit in this one. Terry Fator is probably still bound by his AGT contract, and yet he was the second highest earning comedian in the world in 2013 according to Forbes, making a reported $24 million that year as part of an overall $100m deal.  One imagines Syso is making even more out of that than Fator, because Simon wouldn't have allowed it any other way, and the economies of scale are going to be FAR less fair to some of these folks who barely make any money, but really the $1m prize is just a talking point more than a prize.  It's basically a life Pension (vs. a Retirement one).

I'm new to this show and couldn't believe who they put through. 

I'm in the minority, I'm sure, but Samantha Johnson?  Screeching isn't t singing. 

Benton Blount?  Boring. 

I adored Triple Threat.

• Love 2
It seems to me like an extreme version of Cups and Balls.  Which I think we ALL know how that one is done. Taking that trick "large" though, with something WAY too big to palm?  I gotta admit I gotta think about this one a bit.

I know how this trick is done. It's not similar to Cups and Balls in terms of technique, and it doesn't involve palming. It's a fun trick, but it's not innovative at all and IMHO doesn't require strong skill. You can probably find the explanation online or you can PM me. It seems weird to me that of all the magicians that have been on this show Franco is the one who's been most successful in terms of votes. There have been so many more who did more innovative illusions and used more successful sleight of hand. I also think there have been others with better patter and more charismatic stage presence, but I recognize that's subjective.

I was good with 5 out of 7 of the results. I would have preferred Vita and Showproject made it over Samantha and Benton.

I don't really listen to Top 40 radio that often, but I have heard that "Cheerleader" song a few times. Holy crap was that guy awful. I was really hoping he would get buzzed (I knew he wouldn't but it would have been funny).

Always good to see Mat Franco again! I think he's adorable and super talented.