Type keyword(s) to search

Peter Pan Live (NBC)

Ugh KILL ME! That preview of Allison Williams singing "I'm flying...." over and over and over again and THERE IS NO ESCAPE. I can't get to the mute before she starts!! I can't take 2 more days of that!

I didn't think NBC could do worse than Carrie Underwood, but holy cow, they sure did.

The female Peter Pan thing is because it happened in a lot of (historically British?) pantomimes/plays. Dick Whittington? Usually female to this day. As is at least sometimes, Jack in the Beanstalk, Aladdin (Chinese and Twanky version) (saw this trope in action last year at a big theatre although I'm aware not all venues use this). I'm not sure why it started and for some characters it seems arbitrary and based on who they can cast (I've seen a professional production with Cinderella's Prince as a soap actress as well) there is a tradition with some male characters being female and some female characters being played by "Panto dames" or dramatic equivalents.

• Love 1

I believe I heard in a Mary Martin interview that Peter was a woman because the harness that they used for flying back in the day was pretty painful for a man. If you get my drift.

Edited by LGGirl
  • Love 1

Another tradition that NBC chose not to go with is having the person who plays Nana also playing the crocodile.  They're using a real dog instead.  Obviously, they won't be using a real crocodile though.

• Love 1

Another tradition that NBC chose not to go with is having the person who plays Nana also playing the crocodile.  They're using a real dog instead.  Obviously, they won't be using a real crocodile though.

I feel sorry for the dog. As for using a real crocodile, it could have made this production a lot more interesting. Imagine waiting to see if it would snap at someone.

I'm going to hell.

• Love 7

I feel sorry for the dog. As for using a real crocodile, it could have made this production a lot more interesting. Imagine waiting to see if it would snap at someone.

I'm going to hell.

Then I'm going right with you because Allison Williams dangling back and forth over the gaping maw of a giant crocodile is my idea of great television.

Hopefully there will be a spectacular malfunction with the animatronic crocodile. Except I'm really, really pulling for Walken, Borle and O'Hara. Oh and by the way, Ms. Williams, here's how real professionals talk:

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178676/broadway-vets-kelli-ohara-christian-borle-know-you-want-something-to-go-wrong-during-peter-pan-live/ 

• Love 2

I mind of feel.bad for Ms. Williams cause she had the curse of.being Brian Williams daughter so you know talk of.nepotism was bound to.happen. she would have to be flawless in order to overcome that.

With that said, she just isn't right for the part..at least from a physical standpoint. And you know she was the only one available for the four month prep time needed to do this show.

I would have opted for Julianne though, Kellie pickler, heck even Miley chyrus could have worked in the part.

With that said, I can't watch this live but will.enjoy viewing the tweets and feedback afterwards.

Hopefully there will be a spectacular malfunction with the animatronic crocodile.

Is it animatronic? I thought it was a person in a suit. They only showed it briefly in the making of special. I mainly remember glitter and too many colors.

I would have opted for Julianne though, Kellie pickler, heck even Miley chyrus could have worked in the part.

Thanks for making me grateful they cast Allison Williams. Good God.

• Love 1

Is it animatronic? I thought it was a person in a suit. They only showed it briefly in the making of special. I mainly remember glitter and too many colors.

Thanks for making me grateful they cast Allison Williams. Good God.

IDK but I think Miley Cyrus would have made for better TV. Everyone would watch to see if she would make it through the performance.

• Love 2

Tomorrow's big question will be: who's better, JR Ewing's mom  Brian Williams's daugher or or Watzerface from the Eighty-something olympics? (Cathy Rigby).

The Rigby version can be seen on you tube (

) Edited by Notwisconsin

Tomorrow's big question will be: who's better, JR Ewing's mom  Brian Williams's daugher or or Watzerface from the Eighty-something olympics? (Cathy Rigby).

The Rigby version can be seen on you tube (

)

A lot more convincing as a boy, Cathy Rigby is.  By the by, how old is Cathy Rigby now?

Oh! For some reason I've pictured it as a scary animatronic beast, but that just may be my wishful thinking since they didn't cast a real live crocodile, which was a disappointment. Didn't see the special because I want to be thrilled and surprised tonight. lol Ooooo the anticipation...

Cathy is in her sixties.  Incidentally she was still playing Peter Pan as of a couple of years ago.  She's actually really good.    Her version is as you might imagine much more physical with some gymnastic stuff put in, but she does a nice job with the singing bits and her acting is fine.

• Love 1

I'm hoping it'll be fun but I'm almost positive it'll be boring. Not a trainwreck. Just... very boring. If they set up a thread here I'll be here, otherwise, I'll be saving my best thoughts for twitter @VintageSnarker.

Tomorrow's big question will be: who's better, JR Ewing's mom Brian Williams's daugher or or Watzerface from the Eighty-something olympics? (Cathy Rigby)

Cathy did a good job but Mary Martin will always byy favorite. And probably the best.

• Love 2

Jesus goddamn it I'm going to miss the live broadcast. Is anyone blogging in real time?

eta: never mind I found a gawker thread... why does real life keep happening to me when I have t.v. train wrecks to watch!!!

Edited by glowlights
  • Love 1

Wasn't there talk of the actors using British accents or am I imagining things? These actors do not sound like they are even trying to use an accent.

In my 7th grade production we did awkward British accents. In theory you're supposed to do the accent, but for us it was in and out. We did better accents than they're doing here.