Type keyword(s) to search

Peter Pan Live (NBC)

I want to talk casting.  

I'm not really familiar with the Pan musical... but it always involves a Lady Peter, right?  So... no Bruno Mars or Clay Aiken (hee) as Peter Pan?  Rihanna as Peter Pan would amuse me muchly, but that's not going to happen.  Demi Lovato?  A lesser Kardashian?

Oh, wait.  Taylor Swift.  It's totally going to be Taylor Swift, right?

I want to talk casting.  

I'm not really familiar with the Pan musical... but it always involves a Lady Peter, right?  So... no Bruno Mars or Clay Aiken (hee) as Peter Pan?  Rihanna as Peter Pan would amuse me muchly, but that's not going to happen.  Demi Lovato?  A lesser Kardashian?

Oh, wait.  Taylor Swift.  It's totally going to be Taylor Swift, right?

Traditionally, the role has always been played by a woman, but the producers have already said they're not going to follow that tradition this time.  So Peter will be male both in name and in fact.

I'm a bit curious about this too. I loved the book growing up and I thought the film version they did about ten years ago was good, but it wasn't the musical. I wonder if they will follow the stage tradition of having the same actor play Hook and Mr Darling.

I wonder if they will follow the stage tradition of having the same actor play Hook and Mr Darling.

I hope they do and it's someone kind of hot, and actually British--not an American faking it. Ewan MacGregor? He can handle the swordplay...assuming lightsaber training is transferable.

• Love 2

Jason Isaacs was the sexiest Captain Hook ever, but Cyril Ritchard owns the role.  His performance would probably be a bit campy for modern tastes though.

I know in the books, Peter is supposed to be a prepubescent boy who thinks all girls are yucky except for Mommy, but I'm guessing in this version he'll be a teenager.

• Love 1

If they do cast a male as Peter, then he would have to be on the shorter side. They always had cast short women as Peter. And women were cast because it was pretty uncomfortable for men/boys to be in the harness and fly.

Country singer Hunter Hayes is short and has the pixie look. Not sure he could pull it of, though. I bet they will cast someone who is more ethnic and not probably not male.

Gabby Douglas, the gymnast? If she can sing, she'd be a good choice.

It was just announced at TCA Press Tour that Christopher Walken will be playing Hook.

Interesting, more reason to check this out. I wonder how he'll play Hook.

It was just announced at TCA Press Tour that Christopher Walken will be playing Hook.

So...not going with someone hot. *sigh*. Not much reason to watch now.

• Love 1

I've been watching the Mary Martin and Cathy Rigby versions of "Peter Pan" on YouTube.  All of Hook's songs are based on dances so I can see them incorporating Walken's tap into the show.  

And Peter Pan will be played by... Alison Williams.

Wait... seriously? I don't even know how to feel about this. It's still not a Broadway actress but it's not Carrie Underwood either. Not sure how this is going to bring in viewers. I don't... Confused.

I listened to the clip of her singing Hallelujah. It was fine. She sounds a bit musical theatre/like she's had training but it's also more of a pop song so she keeps pulling back from those high notes. There was no part where she really went for it and I was like, yup, she can totally do this. 

If this becomes an annual thing, it'll be amusing to see if they can always manage to cast Christian Borle in a small role.

Hee! "Spot Christian Borle" could become a beloved annual Holiday Television Musical tradition!

• Love 5

If NBC could get the rights to whatever that musical is that's based on Kind Hearts and Coronets...it won the Tony this year...Gentleman's Guide? Anyway, if they got the rights and cast Borle for the lead, I would vow to watch more regular NBC shows.

• Love 1

If NBC could get the rights to whatever that musical is that's based on Kind Hearts and Coronets...it won the Tony this year...Gentleman's Guide? Anyway, if they got the rights and cast Borle for the lead, I would vow to watch more regular NBC shows.

Aside from The Voice I don't watch the NBC shows I'm supposed to watch. Loyal Smash and Community viewer here! :)

i think Grimm is the only NBC show I watch now, so it's a measure of how much I'd love to see Borle that I'd promise to watch more. I mean, I'd even try to sit through L&O: SVU...well...for an episode. There's only so far I'd go; I'm only human.

• Love 2

NBC Musical starring daughter of NBC Network Anchor.

Am I being too cynical?

She's his daughter?  Why do I have a hard time imagining him even being naked, much less reproducing?

Hmm, that's interesting.  Mr. Darling IS traditionally a dual role, but it's usually Darling/Hook played by the same actor.  I have to give the casting department credit for taking an original approach to the role.

• Love 1

I remember seeing a short performance of Christian Borle in "Peter and the Starcatcher" at the Tony's. It's a musical/play I guess, sort of a prequel to Peter Pan. Christian plays a Captain Hook like character. It was interesting.

If we get Christian Borle in every NBC musical performance, can we get Laura Benanti too? She could play the mother.