Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Judgy Eyes & Tahitian Skies

• Start Topic

When was lizzie demoted to FOH? I.e why is she on this trip?

I think she was demoted in the editing process a la Luann on S6 of RHONY. All the initial rumors/news had said all the HWs were being asked back, and then it sounds like for whatever reason Bravo retroactively decided to demote her after the season had wrapped filming. 

Based on how Meghan seems to be going over like a lead balloon, I wouldn't be shocked if Lizzie were re-upped to full-time HW next season.

• Love 4
If Meghan is worth five million dollars, why did Jim have to buy her wedding dress, and she set a five thousand dollar limit to not "take advantage"?

I didn't get the impression that he "had" to purchase the dress because she couldn't.  Maybe it's a Jim Edmonds tradition...he always buys his brides' wedding dresses.

• Love 3

Remember in the film "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" when Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey go to the fake couples counseling session? Yeah, I totally got that same vibe from this marriage counseling session Shannon and David attended. Cracked me up!

• Love 3
If anything Hayley should have been living with her mom and step-dad and helping them out.

I didn't get the impression that Hayley was the easiest kid to have around.  Maybe she was already difficult and then her mother's illness put a strain on her.  Perhaps it was easier on her mother to have her stay with Meghan...who seemed to be handling Hayley's snarkiness just fine.

• Love 1

Re Donn and Jeana -- Jeana was always quite complimentary about Donn and I think there was at least 1 TH in which she said Vicki treated him poorly. Begs the question : did Donn or would Donn ever tap that ass? Can you imagine Vicki if Jeana and Donn became a couple?

Jeanna is love and moving on with new man. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/07/30/real-housewives-jeana-keough-renting-home/   Donnis a scuzzy creep who hangs out at private clubs to watch others and be watched banging http://www.realitytea.com/2012/02/23/report-donn-gunvalson-caught-frequenting-sex-club-likes-to-engage-in-public-sex-plus-heather-dubrow-tells-alexis-to-lay-off/

Most of us have had the sad experience of having to help people battle through a tough time, or even the last days of their life. But the ones I know who do aren't off crowing on how great and selfless and wonderful they are. They just do it. 

That is what upsets me about Meghan. I doubt she is running around, helping to research doctors or treatments, driving the late LeAnne (RIP) to appointments, sitting with her during transfusions, thinking of funny things to say to help pass the time, etc. And her crying about wanting to be Hayley's mom? And saying things that she and Hayley relate better than she does with her own mom? I REALLY hope LeAnne didn't have to pass feeling that pang in her heart.

I can understand Meghan wanting to be there for someone. I think it is wonderful that she wants to be helpful. But she is looking at this completely from a selfish perspective. Hayley doesn't need another mom. She's had HER OWN mother and then wife #2. She doesn't need someone just a little a decade over coming in and trying to boss her around. A good friend, sure. Another female motherly influence, maybe. But to want to claim the child (and a nearly grown one at that) as her own and then crying about it on TV? No. I'm not even a mom, and I know that isn't right. 

Meghan should watch Real Housewives of NYC (end of last week and this week's episode). The conversations about losing the spouse, and the way Meghan is acting shows a huge difference in maturity. Carole was around Meghan's age when her husband was diagnosed, and not much older when he passed. But the way she handled it, or talked about in her book and on TV, is just so poignantly different. 

• Love 8
Most of us have had the sad experience of having to help people battle through a tough time, or even the last days of their life. But the ones I know who do aren't off crowing on how great and selfless and wonderful they are. They just do it.

I'm still in the "give her the benefit of the doubt" line.  She signed up to be on reality TV.  Who knows what "storylines" the producers come up and push on these people?  I agree that she's not handling things as sensitively as someone more mature (having nothing to do with age).  Carole's situation was with a spouse whom she knew and loved for quite awhile.

• Love 1

I'm still in the "give her the benefit of the doubt" line.  She signed up to be on reality TV.  Who knows what "storylines" the producers come up and push on these people?  I agree that she's not handling things as sensitively as someone more mature (having nothing to do with age).  Carole's situation was with a spouse whom she knew and loved for quite awhile.

While no one but a complete idiot believes that Reality TV shows like RHOC give us the unrehearsed, unscripted, and totally spontaneous scenes from the lives of their cast members, trying to argue for the other extreme, that the show's producers give each cast member a detailed weekly script of their lines, behaviors, responses, TH scenes, etc, is just as falacious. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Andy and his production crew interview and then hire new cast members who display and conform to certain compelling lifestyle and personality archetypes (e.g., the angry trailer park refuge who doesn't take shit from anyone; her eternally clueless but dominant dragon lady sidekick; the wealthy know-it-all with the obnoxious husband; the even more wealthy but emotionally fragile alcoholic with with a crumbling marriage, etc.). The producers know from experience that these shows thrive on enduring conflict and scandal, so they select for, promote, and preserve mixes of personality types that ensure this dynamic. Those the audience can root for and sympathize with and those they can hate and hiss at. In her two seasons on RHOC, Shannon has never come across as a manipulative, scheming, or heartless bitch because that's not who she is. On the other hand, Tamra, who was no doubt selected for her sharp tongue and massive chip on her shoulder, seems utterly fake and pathetic when she tries to shift her archetype and play the nice lady, which she most certainly is not.

The fact that Meghan, from the start of her very first season, has consistently and repeatedly come across as pushy, rude, aggressive, self-promoting, and generally unlikable is not the consequence of her being arbitrarily assigned such an unappealing, even creepy, character role by the producers. It's a reflection of who she really is as a person. And her extremely rapid and overwhelming unpopularity with so many of the viewers is the consequence. The producers set a lot of the scenes, but they trust their well-chosen archetypes to take the ball and run with it from there.

Edited by Should Be Working
  • Love 9

While no one but a complete idiot believes that Reality TV shows like RHOC give us the unrehearsed, unscripted, and totally spontaneous scenes from the lives of their cast members, trying to argue for the other extreme, that the show's producers give each cast member a detailed weekly script of their lines, behaviors, responses, TH scenes, etc, is just as falacious. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Andy and his production crew interview and then hire new cast members who display and conform to certain compelling lifestyle and personality archetypes (e.g., the angry trailer park refuge who doesn't take shit from anyone; her eternally clueless but dominant dragon lady sidekick; the wealthy know-it-all with the obnoxious husband; the even more wealthy but emotionally fragile alcoholic with with a crumbling marriage, etc.). The producers know from experience that these shows thrive on enduring conflict and scandal, so they select for, promote, and preserve mixes of personality types that ensure this dynamic. Those the audience can root for and sympathize with and those they can hate and hiss at. In her two seasons on RHOC, Shannon has never come across as a manipulative, scheming, or heartless bitch because that's not who she is. On the other hand, Tamra, who was no doubt selected for her sharp tongue and massive chip on her shoulder, seems utterly fake and pathetic when she tries to shift her archetype and play the nice lady, which she most certainly is not.

The fact that Meghan, from the start of her very first season, has consistently and repeatedly come across as pushy, rude, aggressive, self-promoting, and generally unlikable is not the consequence of her being arbitrarily assigned such an unappealing, even creepy, character role by the producers. It's a reflection of who she really is as a person. And her extremely rapid and overwhelming unpopularity with so many of the viewers is the consequence. The producers set a lot of the scenes, but they trust their well-chosen archetypes to take the ball and run with it from there.

LOL, Tamra needs to start kissing some producer butt IMO, Meghan was brought in as her replacement for next season. If Meghan keeps up with the negative, aggressive personality on the show, Tamra becomes irrelevant to the producers. LOL

• Love 4

Watching Meghan on WWHL. she is arrogant, calls it self-confidence.  She actually is not that hard on the other women, I think the worse thing she said was Vicki was manipulative, and she definitely wants to make the show all about her.  What was missing was the true reason for Meghan and Jim's separation and that was he was involved in a lawsuit and she wanted to be a RHOC and needed to be in OC to film.  I think the cancer story was a little too sick, and I don't think either Meghan or Jim thought it through exposing his obnoxious daughter to the world on TV.  Meghan needed if for a storyline, what was she going to say, "Hi, I am Meghan, this orange was originally going to be held by husband's second wife, Allison. "  Meghan just didn't come on the show with clean hands.  It is almost as if Jim needs a working wife, needed to move the OC real estate and RHOC fits the wish list. 

LOL, Tamra needs to start kissing some producer butt IMO, Meghan was brought in as her replacement for next season. If Meghan keeps up with the negative, aggressive personality on the show, Tamra becomes irrelevant to the producers. LOL

I think you are on to something-although I think Tamra is trying to rest on her past laurels and cruise like Vicki did last year.  I don't think it works for Tamra.  Another DV charges for Ryan or shutting down the gym and being with an unemployed husband and she will be out the door.

• Love 4

I agree. I know reality TV isn't reality. But at the same time, there are ways to phrase something without sounding so self-serving. Meghan could have talked about bonding with Hayley without trying to push the mother angle. She could have said "I know there isn't much I can do for LeAnne, but at least I can be there for her daughter, so she can continue to support her mom." That would actually get me thinking that she was a kind person, instead of what I think of her based on how she is currently portrayed. 

But I also know I'm projecting too much because of events in my own life. 

• Love 9

The one reason I didn't like Heather and then Meghan's comments about how "rude" Vicki was to leave the (boring) Game Night Party early is because neither of those arbiters of manners took into account that Vicki was in mourning for her mother. At the time of the party her mother's death and the funeral had been very recent. Vicki should have stayed home with the perfectly legitimate excuse that she was too tired and wasn't in the mood to "party" because she had just buried her mother. Grief is physically taxing as well as emotionally. But I guess she felt she had to attend and be filmed. She looked exhausted, and while the snoring thing was rude and is annoying, it was very rude and unsympathetic of her "friends" to expect her to stay up late on a work night after what she'd just gone through, and then to get all judgmental about it on camera.

I might have been more sympathetic to Vicki if she had simply said that, instead of doing her irritating snoring act.

• Love 6

Maybe it's just because I'm in academia, where couples live apart while they teach at different institutions and travel extensively to do fieldwork all the time, but I don't understand all of the ruckus about the hubs not being around 50% of the time.  Vicki, why don't you do you and let Meghan and Jimmy do Meghan and Jimmy?  (And I don't even like Meghan.  OR Jimmy!)  

But I guess if none of these women were judgmental biznatches we wouldn't have a show.

• Love 7

Maybe it's just because I'm in academia, where couples live apart while they teach at different institutions and travel extensively to do fieldwork all the time, but I don't understand all of the ruckus about the hubs not being around 50% of the time.  Vicki, why don't you do you and let Meghan and Jimmy do Meghan and Jimmy?  (And I don't even like Meghan.  OR Jimmy!)  

But I guess if none of these women were judgmental biznatches we wouldn't have a show.

Vicki has zero room to talk.  When she was married to Donn, she was either "working" at her office until 2:00 AM (yea, right) or flying off to some insurance gathering or Housewives related event.  Of course if I was married to her, I would have helped pack her bags and called a Family Van service to come pick her up early.

• Love 8

Her and Terry are so ridiculously competitive and petty. So they won't get something because Jim Bellino expressed interest or has it. Really?!?

Okay, I hate to defend Heather/Terry ...Herry?  Hmm...There's a Sesame Street character called Herry Monster... seems appropriate... So anyway, I hate to defend Herry Monster, because I don't like them (Really, I can't think of anyone on this show I do actively like ... Except maybe that lesbian fitness trainer who was vaguely a housewife for one season... Though she did have a crush on Tamra, speaking of questionable taste.)... But I digress.  If I were looking to purchase something and the salesperson told me Jim Bellino had also been interested in the item, it would make me question my own taste level as well.  That's all I'm saying.

I didn't get that "kindhearted" comment at all & I thought she was lying thru her teeth. 

To be fair, it looks like Meghan is saying everything through her teeth because of the odd way she holds her jaw.

• Love 1

Re watching while I write a paper. I have to say one of my favorite things about Heather is in her own giant stuck up her ass way she's sort of up for anything. She just rolls with it at game night whether it's her thing or not.

Also Vicki; there are ways of leaving a room politely. Just go to Meghan, thank her for inviting you and explain that you're just worn out from your week. See how simple that was?

• Love 3
Vicki has zero room to talk.  When she was married to Donn, she was either "working" at her office until 2:00 AM (yea, right) or flying off to some insurance gathering or Housewives related event.  Of course if I was married to her, I would have helped pack her bags and called a Family Van service to come pick her up early.

Well, I think Vicki kind of-sort of acknowledged this and acted as if this was the reason she was speaking out about Megan's relationship. Like hers was a cautionary tale or something. However, considering she doesn't even bring Brooks to her mother's funeral and doesn't seem that invested in his cancer treatment, I don't know that she's really learned her own lesson. 

• Love 3

It would be creepy if the spouses were joined at the hip all the time.  But, it is more than odd that Jimmy-less Meghan would be hosting a couples game party where the featured game of the night seemed to be her take on the "Newlywed Game."

• Love 1

I thought Meghan planned that couples party because Jimmy's calendar specifically showed he would be home.  She was then surprised by a phone call saying he wouldn't.  I certainly wouldn't cancel an event (looks like she hired professional planners) if my spouse couldn't be there.  

I might have been more sympathetic to Vicki if she had simply said that, instead of doing her irritating snoring act.

Could Bravo write a stipulation into Vicki's next contract?  Every time she feels the need to SNORE onscreen, she will donate $5,000 to the ASPCA and earmark it for pigs (that's what her SNORE/SNORT sounds like).

• Love 4

Maybe so, but how hard would it be to change the games that are being played?  And professional party planners shouldl be able to make last minute adjustments.  Why did she even need planners for a game night party anyway?  It's not like it was some big event that Meghan couldn't organize herself.

• Love 1

Maybe so, but how hard would it be to change the games that are being played?  And professional party planners shouldl be able to make last minute adjustments.  Why did she even need planners for a game night party anyway?  It's not like it was some big event that Meghan couldn't organize herself.

Because Meghan is an idiot.  Thus, the candy as decorations... 

• Love 3

BRAVO lends a hand (a heavy and sometimes sinister hand) to all the events "planned" by the Housewives.  I'll assume the "Newlywed Game" was specifically so the TV audience could see the Beadors squirm and/or argue.  It worked.  

• Love 1

It's ironic that the show is REAL HOUSEWIVES and the REAL HOUSEWIFE is picked on by Vicki.

I'm in between jobs at the moment, and I've discovered I really like having a job outside of the home, even if I had a partner who made great $$$. But I absolutely understand wanting to be a SAHM or a situation like Meghan's-reality star/stepmom. One can keep busy and productive without having a career.